User Reviews for Fentanyl (Page 2)

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Sedation 1 reviews 38 medications

Anesthesia 4 reviews 130 medications

Postoperative Pain 4 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Fentanyl reviews 325 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Fentanyl

For Chronic Pain: "I have severe DJD, bulging discs and spinal stenosis . I have tried everything, was on Opana ER and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I would still wake up at 4 am in misery and would take more medicine and end up running out of pain meds. So after this yoyo with oral meds I finally asked my doc about fentanyl patches. He started me on 50 every three days. I'm at the 48 hr mark and it is definitely helping. I actually slept through the night last night for the first time in months. I'll change it tomorrow but so far it's really helping me. I have the Mylan brand and the patches stay on very well."

Nanant November 17, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Years ago I was on the older formula of Fentanyl and it worked wonders with minimal dosage & breakthrough meds. After the companies reformulated the drug it isn't nearly as good as it used to be &has many more side effects, brand depending. Mylan works best for me as far as fewer side effects but none work for the 72 hours they are supposed to. Originally, my max dose was 75mcg for 1.5 years prior to surgery. This time I am up to 125mcg w/in the first year + 10/325 Norco 4x daily +muscle relaxers for auto fusion of L3-S1. Pain level on day 1 is @7, day 2 is @4, day 3 is @8. I have to put my new patches on before taking the old off or life is hell. Thanks to drug addicts, illegal activity & government interference Doc can no longer help."

BonneMare (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "This drug works great for me, it takes for me 16 hrs to fully seem to get into my system. In the past I took the Vicoprofen (hydrocodone & Ibropfen) 7.5 mg. I started out with12.5 patch, after 1 1/2 yrs It was changed to applying every 48 hrs, after 2 yrs my dose is now 25 patch. Your body does get used to it, if after a year or so you become nervous, nauseated, headaches or feel dizzy and sick with headache, nausea, pain its no doubt time to change your patches application time or dose. I didn't know why I was getting too sick, the ER doc explained to me it was withdrawal symptoms, I didn't like to hear that but being we are dependent on them for pain (rather than being an addict), it can happen. IMPORTANT start taking a stool softner"

isaacs (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Subsys (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I've been on opiates for 29 years. I lead a successful and happy life because I've always treated painkillers with respect. They are addictive, but they can give you back your life if you use them properly. 2 years ago my pain doctor switched out my breakthrough meds from 6x 30mg oxycodone to 4x 800mcg Subsys. I also take 3x 80mg OxyContin for steady pain control. Tonight I will use my last subsys, tomorrow I was to receive my next 30 day supply. HOWEVER, LINDEN CARE calls me today and tells me they are not sending it. No 30 day supply, no warning. My insurance company called them to okay it, but Linden Care told them since I don't have cancer I'm not getting it anymore. My pain doctor tried talking to them, still nothing."

MeKosmo October 20, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: "I recent began Fentynal Patches am on 37.5 Mylan. With a piggyback or b/t med of only Norco 5/325 twice daily . Im sorry but if this is supposed to be the strongest we have out there I am disappointed. I at one time was on or taking all vic meaning 7.5 as well as 10mg then percocet Percocet a joke. My body per saliva swab test don't recall name indicates my body metabolizes quickly. How long shall I wait to tell the Nurse Practioner Pain specialist this isn't working. Sure lightheaded all Narcotics begin that way, however pain still 7-8 what do I need to do? Only been on this dose second day I was on 25 mg she increased."

Banditboy October 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Very effective for pain. Have been pain meds for 11 yrs. Tried many others ie. hydrocodone, morphine, Percocet, oxymorphone, several others, but nothing worked like fentanyl. However, I have had some serious side effects. First I froze at 78 degrees inside our home in southwest florida. Then my left eye started getting really hazy. I thought my glasses were filthy. By the way it's still hazy after going through almost four months of withdrawal. Then my right leg felt like dead weight at night. My left leg felt like it was wrapped with a very tight sock from below the knee to my ankle. I felt like I was going to vomit any minute, my mouth started to get watery. My gut hurt like anything. "

Culebranegra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abstral (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "This drug merely gives a feel good factor and feeling of energy to do thinks that never happen. It is highly addictive . The withdrawal symptoms are awful and the NHS do not know how to treat patients withdrawing from this. It should be used at end of life or for in patients only."

abstraluser (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "The brand that you get makes a huge difference. I can only find the Apotex brand at the pharmacies within a 70 mile range(25mcg/hr). Some times these patches have very little or no effect on my pain.I am sure it is the lack of consistent medication on some of the patches because I have actually suffered through about 24 hours of no relief then take the patch off and try a new patch,my pain was better 5 minutes later.By each patch being so inconsistent, it can not possibly control my pain consistently.My friend uses Pac brand which she has her pharmacy order, and says they work fine.I will check reviews on different brands and try to have them ordered."

Kat1964 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Actiq (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "Used several years ago. I was prescribed the fentanyl patch for 72 hrs (3) days. Actiq was prescribed for breakthrough pain. What a God-send! Finally research supported that people have differing degrees of metabolism and my patch was changed to every 48 hours. Still. fentanyl in patch for around the clock pain control WITH the Actiq Lollipop-type medication for "breakthrough" pain was a life savior. I was a mother of 3 boys with the severest form of neck, back and fibromylagia putting my pain level off the charts. This med allowed me (after taking a dose of Actiq) to 1) go grocery shopping, 2)take, pick-up and volunteer for a whole hour, 3) cook dinner and go to church and lastly, 4)participate in activities lasting 1 hr."

Donna Pain Controlled W/Actiq& September 16, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Does extremely well with controlling chronic pain, but is also extremely addictive, and can even lead to abuse, especially in those predisposed to addiction."

Mudguppy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I had pelvic surgery from the best uro/ gyn surgeon in the Houston area. He royally meshed up my surgery leaving me with pelvic anuryzm. My pain is at 10+/24-7 without meds. I have not found any meds that would bring the pain below a 7 before I found Subsys. My only issue with Subsys is it only last 3hrs......never more. My Dr. Has me on 800mcg. He is very careful and will not increase it. Subsys is great....it's just not a free for all."

Diane D. September 8, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Only pain med that has worked consistantly for a long period of time but you must be careful. If being outside in sun it must be covered to prevent over dose because heat will increase output. Worked best for me with a low dose and using methadone for breakthrough but most Dr's wont prescribe methadone because of stigma associated with its normal use but had my pain level to around 3. Roxycodone can only get me to 6 at best."

Sbay (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have had bad back, neck and shoulder pain for 12 plus years. My Dr's.tried several times doing guided steroid injections and for several hours after the injections I would feel pain free. Once the numbing agent wears off the pain returns to normal. They tried trans dermal compounded creams as well as NSAID's and oral medications. Some of the oral medications worked but not long enough. I would take one at bed time and 5 to 6 hours I would wake up in pain and couldn't go back to sleep. I was only allowed to take 3 a day so if I used one at bed time and one near morning I had nothing through the day. the patches worked well but they tend to roll up and fall off. I am told not to put tape over them. Not sure what to do about that."

BBBtheKing (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Excellent! I suffered from inadequately controlled back pain for decades. Finally when several sleep studies confirmed that at least part of my daytime sleepiness was due to pain issues, I was put on Fentanyl patches. While we did have to experiment with dosing the back pain has been well controlled for decades with NO side effects! It did not work well for my joint pain, but I have other treatment options that are effective. While I have had a recent increase in breakthrough pain, it is likely because my sleep disorder (unrelated to pain) has exacerbated considerably and I've been unable to change my patches on schedule."

Artistic 1 July 27, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I injured my back in 99 and since have been on everything from morphine, oxy, Norco, dilaudid and on and on and never did I get good relief. I would still wake up feeling like an old man with awful pain in my back. I went on Fentanyl 25 mch and the difference was amazing. It did take a bit, almost two days, for me to feel the full effect of the medication but I had bt pain meds that took care of it. It is amazing how great it is to wake up in the morning and NOT have to reach for the pain pill, first thing!!"

joelt2105 June 26, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breakthrough Pain: "With what our government has done, with taking away other drugs, and making others harder to get, Fentanyl (for me) at least seems safe and last long enuff to be pain-free till the next dose!"

Lesti (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "The medication itself is quite helpful. The peel-off backing is a real pain. I struggle with it every time I need a new one. Is there no way to design an easier way to get the back off. Maybe starting the medicine part of the patch farther down on the backing would help."

Hooshie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: "I have trouble keeping it sealed all sides I have to use tape lost 3 patches"

Nannygrunt May 16, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anesthesia: "Was administered fentanyl during endoscopy and stopped breathing once during procedure and once in recovery. Still woozy two days after having had fentanyl; also perspire after any mild exertion. The drug seems to not agree with me at all; better to go through the rages after Demerol."

yenaika (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I was given Subsys as a replacement for 30mg instant release OxyContin. 800mcg 4x per day instead of 4x 30mg OxyContin. My usual opiate regimen is 3x 80mg OxyContin, which has been at this level for 16 years now. Combined with the 4x 800mcg Subsys my pain is controlled more than ever has been (since 1990 when it began), but the dosage is so strict that there are times when I have to live with unbearable break through pain for up to 8 hours. Is my pain under control? Yes, but I live with a pain level of 7-7.5 24/7/365. Without Subsys my pain would be unbearable."

KosmoInNYC May 9, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I had 2 broken knuckles replaced. Sent home with oxycontin and oxycodone. They were like eating a tic tac. I ended up spending a week in the hospital pushing a button on a pain pump which contained morphine. IT did absolutely nothing for my pain. Finally, I was seen by a pain management doctor who prescribed 50 mcg fentanyl patches every other day. I was able to go home and start physical therapy. I am so thankful they found something that worked fro ME. Every patient is different and everyone responds differently to different medications. I am a 100 pound 55 year old woman."

vlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I started on 25 after 6 months went to 50 mg another year 75 mg 2 years 100 mg I have stayed at this level about 4 years some weeks I need the my pain pills for beak through pain every 6 hours but most of the time I take it once a day.Before Fetanyl I would always wake up at night with horrible pain then after taking meds.it would take a couple of hours to get the pain back under control. It has been a life saver for me as for the patch wearing off to soon I have forgotten to switch my patch and it is usually the 2nd day before I start hurting badly the other thing is I never take pain pills unless my pain is above a level 4 this has always helped me not to crave them and it may be why am not as sensitive as those who try for a 0 pain level"

7yearsonfetanyl April 28, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have found that at least one out of each box of 5 has little or no medication on it. This has put me back in horrible pain and dangerous withdrawal symptoms..I was given the 25 mcg/ change every 72 hrs to take the place of my deactivated morphine pump that malfunctioned (overdosed & under dosed)..Diagnosis: severe scoliosis,degenerative disk,etc."

EnuffsEnuff (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I guess I must have a very,very strong constitution as I have been on the 50 mcg patch for about 6 months now, I started reading about the side effects from withdrawal and it scared the crap out of me,so I decided to make an appt. With my pain doc,it's for 4/27. As of right now it is wednesday at 9:45 a. M. I was supposed to change out the patch on this past sunday,i haven't changed it yet,i still have the one on from the last time which was 4/13/16 the only thing I noticed last night is I was jittery and after taking my sleep meds temazapam and 1 mg of generic xanax, I was tossing and turning and feeling slight muscle spasms,a lack of sleep isn't that bad. I do feel qck tempered but will smoke a little tnite and that will help w/sleep."

joe1954 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I'd been on OxyContin for 10 yrs prior to Fentenyl Patch 50mg. After relocating to FL I have found securing Oxy suppy spotty. At best-never knowing from mo to mo whether it was going to be available-driving to 5-6 pharmacies(no info given via phone)& maybe only getting 1/2 my pills. Solution was to switch to Fentenyl which isn't as effective-I now use much more hydracodon for breakthrough pain, plus dispensing of Patch is erratic = first night of the 72 hrs I'm wide awake & by last 24 hrs relief is very weak. Constant problem in FL heat of patch staying adhered. Until FL lightens its restrictions on acquiring Oxy, the Patch will have to do(this is my 3rd yr with Fentenyl)."

PennyDeeWill (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2016