User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Fentanyl Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1838 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Fentanyl to treat Pain

"Doesn't do the job would rather have morphine or dilaudid"

Cga8036 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have only been with pain management for 6 months but suffered from debilitating pain (Osteoarthritis, neuropathy) for years. I am hoping through the fentanyl patch I may have some consistency with my management of pain. Have tried Opana 15 mg X 2 and before that a morphine tablet (cannot remember strength). I also had Percocet 10/325 every 4-6 hrs for breakthrough pain. The only thing that helped was the Percocet but felt I was taking way to many; 150 a month. I got the patch today. I took 2 Percocet initially because I had been without anything for 3 days and was really hurting 10+. My pain level is at 1 maybe 2 after 16 hrs of applying the patch. Praise God! My only issue is a headache and not being able to sleep. I am not sure if headache is from sinus or patch?"

Ms. Faith (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was used as a pain reliever in an emergency room setting by a licensed practicing physician. I received two separate doses at my own informed request, but the second dose was a bit much for me. Although it did what it was supposed to do which was relieve the pain I was experiencing. It was too powerful for my liking."

okrebl (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had 6 surgeries for cellulitis advancing to sepsis. 60 days in hospital. They discharged me with 2 weeks of oxycodone, pretty high dose around 120 mg/day. My MD preferred Fentanyl patches with low dose hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. I definitely prefer the Fentanyl, no wild mood swings or sedation like the oxycodone. Just blessed pain relief. Only have to put the patch on every three days. It seems to weaken on the third day, so I use the hydrocodone, but it beats being tied to the very tight dosing of oxycodone, with all its weird baggage."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Broke my back on L2 and L3. Was sent home the same day from hospital. Had a failed spinal surgery 4 years later as the breaks never fused. The surgery was 12 hours after the surgery Hydromorphone wasnt enough. So i was put on the Fentanyl 150mcg/h every 2 days . It helped my pain for full time pain management with Hydromorphone for breakthrough pain. I wish Fentanyl was never invented. I have lost all my teeth but 6 and my stomach is always upset, and i have been trying to come off it for a year now, unfortunately I cant find a medication that controls my pain like fentanyl"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): "I recent began Fentynal Patches am on 37.5 Mylan. With a piggyback or b/t med of only Norco 5/325 twice daily . Im sorry but if this is supposed to be the strongest we have out there I am disappointed. I at one time was on or taking all vic meaning 7.5 as well as 10mg then percocet Percocet a joke. My body per saliva swab test don't recall name indicates my body metabolizes quickly. How long shall I wait to tell the Nurse Practioner Pain specialist this isn't working. Sure lightheaded all Narcotics begin that way, however pain still 7-8 what do I need to do? Only been on this dose second day I was on 25 mg she increased."

Banditboy October 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective for pain. Have been pain meds for 11 yrs. Tried many others ie. hydrocodone, morphine, Percocet, oxymorphone, several others, but nothing worked like fentanyl. However, I have had some serious side effects. First I froze at 78 degrees inside our home in southwest florida. Then my left eye started getting really hazy. I thought my glasses were filthy. By the way it's still hazy after going through almost four months of withdrawal. Then my right leg felt like dead weight at night. My left leg felt like it was wrapped with a very tight sock from below the knee to my ankle. I felt like I was going to vomit any minute, my mouth started to get watery. My gut hurt like anything. "

Culebranegra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent! I suffered from inadequately controlled back pain for decades. Finally when several sleep studies confirmed that at least part of my daytime sleepiness was due to pain issues, I was put on Fentanyl patches. While we did have to experiment with dosing the back pain has been well controlled for decades with NO side effects! It did not work well for my joint pain, but I have other treatment options that are effective. While I have had a recent increase in breakthrough pain, it is likely because my sleep disorder (unrelated to pain) has exacerbated considerably and I've been unable to change my patches on schedule."

Artistic 1 July 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medication itself is quite helpful. The peel-off backing is a real pain. I struggle with it every time I need a new one. Is there no way to design an easier way to get the back off. Maybe starting the medicine part of the patch farther down on the backing would help."

Hooshie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): "I have trouble keeping it sealed all sides I have to use tape lost 3 patches"

Nannygrunt May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had 2 broken knuckles replaced. Sent home with oxycontin and oxycodone. They were like eating a tic tac. I ended up spending a week in the hospital pushing a button on a pain pump which contained morphine. IT did absolutely nothing for my pain. Finally, I was seen by a pain management doctor who prescribed 50 mcg fentanyl patches every other day. I was able to go home and start physical therapy. I am so thankful they found something that worked fro ME. Every patient is different and everyone responds differently to different medications. I am a 100 pound 55 year old woman."

vlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Duragesic (fentanyl): "I have been all the way up to 150-200 mg with 30 mg breakthru. I really had a life then but wasn't really "there". I couldn't find any doctor in my area to presribe fentenyl so all I got was 15mg oxycodone and that's it. I have a 30 degree curve in back, left hip damage, Crohn's disease and now colon cancer. I'm back on them but only at 50 mg every 72 hours. It's a joke. The DEA here is cruel to people that truly need it. Tolerance included, I don't absorb oral meds but do receive very few 15's for break thru. I am waiting for a pain pump once my colon is removed but can I make it? I'm angry, depressed and want to just sleep without screaming."

bloxham (taken for 10 years or more) January 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband has Stage IV Tongue Cancer. He was put on fentanyl patches starting at 25 mcg & was raised to 150 mcg q 72 hrs. What determines 48 hours or 72 hours the ins.? How do they know what relieves a persons pain especially one with cancer! It has been terrible watching him in such pain because the ins. won't cover the patches when necessary with the Drs. approval due to increase until pain relieving amount was reached! Any ideas what I can do??"

helpless caretaker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husbands ins. keeps changing the quantity allowed a month, he also takes 4 mg dilaudid for breakthrough pain. Now they are rejecting a prescription that is for the same exact amount except that instead of 10- 100 mcg patches & 5-50 mcg patches(i don't know why they won't give him 10- 50's like the Dr. prescribes) she wrote it for 20-75mcg 2 q 3 days. The reject message says maxium daily dose of 0.36 isn't this the same as 1-100mcg & 1-50mcg q 3 days?"

helpless caretaker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): "It relax my pain"

kemone (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Duragesic (fentanyl): "powerful narcotic good pain relief"

Edlove (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just wonderful for my pain couldn't ask for anything better"

tam36et March 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking fentanyl after trying every other opiates available and finally found relief. I'm on the 25mcg patch. I'm in the 36 hour right now on the first pass and so far it's perfect and surprisingly has my pain on a 9 out of 10 taken care of with breakthrough medicines. I felt the patch when I finally slept in for once this morning without having to wake up to the pill schedule. "

butch1972 January 23, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was first prescribed oxycodone 5 mg/2 tabs/twice daily, as required. Then put on the 25 mg/mgh fentanyl patches. They were a God send. The only problem I had was that every 50 hours (average) they would stop working. I had to have someone from Mylan, send me a letter to show to my doctor in order to change to every 48 hours. "

REIDER November 21, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went through the myriad of short acting oral analgesics, and just couldn't stand the constant ups and downs, and always felt like I was only comfortable for half of the life of the pill. I asked my doctor to take me off OxyContin (40 mg.), he offered Duragesic as an alternative. I use 100 mcg every 3 days with no problem. Side effects are constipation, and short term memory loss. I'll happily trade that for effective pain relief. A huge plus is not developing a tolerance for it, so I don't have to have it constantly increased over the years. I don't use "breakthrough" meds, but I use Lyrica (about 6 years now) to help with pain from nerve damage. The combination works great for me."

Carol in Ohio (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just recently started this medication for severe Fibromyalgia pain. Unlike most others who have posted here, I have not been taking strong opiates for my pain prior to being given this patch by my doctor. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia eight years ago after being rear ended in an auto accident that happened twelve years ago. This past year, I have been on Hydrocodone 5/500. Prior to that I was on Tylenol for pain relief. After 4 days of being on the 12.5 mcg patch, I am beginning to get some relief for my pain. I think I am going to like this patch."

MiniGirlTX September 23, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Duragesic (fentanyl): "Controls pain very well. Great for baseline around the clock coverage with short acting medication for break through pain. DO NOT ABUSE THIS MEDICATION! "

Anonymous700 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sublimaze (fentanyl): "Fentanyl saved my life pre-back surgery. The sublingual fentanyl literally is the best pain reliever (severe pain relief only! Not for mild to moderate pain) more than Kadian, Norco, Oxy. I was in so much pain Fentanyl got me through it, back surgery was a success and life is moving on; almost pain free."

Pain no more March 28, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Duragesic (fentanyl): "I was "scared" at first to try Duragesic because I knew this was a very strong pain killer. But I was taking so many pills without much relief that something else had to be done. I still have some pain (back pain - 3 compression fxs., and a fractured kneecap). The patches have been a big help in managing all my bone pain. Glad I was "brave" enough to try them. My Dr. is great to prescribe them,"

SUZANNEY01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Duragesic (fentanyl) for severe back and migraine pain. Oxycontin and Percocet didn't touch it. I am allergic to codeine and hydrocodone. At first the patches were a God send- The first 24 hours were hell (vomiting, dizziness, heart racing) but it got better when my body got used to medicine. UNFORTUNATELY about 6 months later I would lose track of hours of time. People said that I would "zone out" during conversations and just stare at the wall. Next came spasms. I would have horrible cramps in my legs. My toes would curl up, my legs would start to shake. I had to step down off the patch 25MGs at a time. Once out of my system the spasms stopped. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2012