User Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin SR, Tivorbex, Indocin IV

Indomethacin has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis. 56% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Indomethacin Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Yardman · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 16, 2018

“I took Indomethacin for my AS for years. Nobody told me this drug was toxic to the kidneys. At my regular clinics, blood tests indicated declining kidney function. My doctors did what they could but my kidneys had been destroyed. I have since had a kidney transplant. This failed after 7 months so I am waiting for another transplant now. If you are taking this drug regularly I would suggest you have regular blood tests to check your kidney function.”

ScottyBoy · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 10, 2019

“This is the NSAID of choice for Ankylosing Spondylitis. The mechanism of action is suited to how AS affects our body. When I take Indomethacin, my pain and inflammation goes away 100%. This is the only drug you need for AS in my opinion. Most doctors suggest continuous use over on-demand use in order to stop the disease progressing but I believe this NSAID is particularly strong and should not be used for more than 10 days at a time to avoid any side-effects. In order to limit use, it is hypothesised that AS is caused by a bacteria called klebsiella pneumoniae, and this feeds off of undigested starch. Find this article on the internet "The Link between Ankylosing Spondylitis, Crohn's Disease, Klebsiella, and Starch Consumption"nTherefore, a starch free diet should provide relief if followed religiously. Some times I will have cheat days so always keep Indomethacin in the cupboard for those days. So to summarise, a great medication for AS, and the only one you will need to take occasionally if following a starch free diet.”

heemskn · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2017

“Was prescribed two 75mg SR (morning and evening) and felt very drowsy and tired every morning. Switched to 1x per day (evening) and get almost the same benefit and feel fine. Other NSAID drugs did not reduce AS inflammation for me. In combination with Enbrel the indomethacin has controlled my AS for 12 years now. Minimal pain and I can run and exercise.”

Traumzwerg · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2015

Indocin SR (indomethacin): “I've been using SR since first appeared in the mid 1980 and have lived a great life, even doing regular running. When I went to get my most recent prescription filled, the pharmacy substituted Indomethacin ER, which isn't at all effective. I'm better off with aspirin and ibuprufen. Has anyone else had a similar experience?”

Anonymous June 12, 2009

Indocin SR (indomethacin): “It's effective in controlling the pain and inflammation related to ankylosing spondylitis, for about 16 hours and then it's followed by headache and return of pain and inflammation. I've been using it for four days now and will be switching to 2 x day.”

James · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 29, 2018

“Better hope you're not taking this when AS associated colitis kicks in. You think you're dying. I haven't returned to this drug in years. I lost my job when it kicked in. Couldn't get off the toilet. Now my guts are full of blood. Beware.”

kenE4 June 17, 2013

Indocin (indomethacin): “Indomethicin ER 75 mg extended release capsules have worked best for me.”