User Reviews for Synvisc

Learn more about Synvisc.

Synvisc Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Synvisc to treat Osteoarthritis

"I've had multiple Synvisc, cortisone and aerations over the last 5 years. The process is easy and pretty much painless. The results were beneficial, but the pain would always return (usually in 6 month intervals) and get progressively worse in frequnecy and intensity. When the pain got so bad it was difficult to walk, then I would schedule another appointment. A little over 1year and 3 months ago, I decided to start strengthening my leg muscles with weights as apposed to cardio by walking and the elliptical. Do not do the leg extensions as I found out these only make things worse. I do leg presses and reverse leg curls with a compression brace on both knees. Most of the pain is gone (90%) at this time period and is still getting better."

Tilly100 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This product did not work for me I still live in pain in my knees give out all the time."

Niner722 October 12, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had the series of injections years ago. Didn't help at all. Ended up with knee replacement. Now other knee is going and WITH insurance, injection of SynviscOne costs over $130 (co-pay) + $30 co-pay for visit. I'm not having it done unless I get a guarantee that it will work. RIP-OFF for the cost and a RIP-OFF that insurance doesn't provide better coverage."

Jakoe (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Initially had Synvisc-One injected into my knee, with only slight benefit (scale of 1-10, improvement to a 4 at best). Several months later had knees treated with the 3 injection Synvisc and it was a Godsend, on a 10 point scale the improvement has been as high as a 9! 3 months have passed and some minor pain has returned, but still maintaining a 7 on a 10 point scale."

Miracle Relief August 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had the triple shot 5 years ago to my left knee. My knee swelled up horribly and I could not do any of my workouts or dancing for 6 weeks. I was miserable and did not ever want to have it again. The upside is that after 6 weeks of pain it worked for 5 years. I just had the shot done to both knees and have not had any swelling and it has been 48 hours. My right knee is catching with any quick movements. Hope to have success after a few weeks. It did hurt really bad during the injection but I don't think that I received any local anesthetic this time. I think that may also contribute to the swelling when extra volume is added to the area. I also did not do any activities for 48 hours which is difficult for me."

Dogwoman July 10, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have this in my kneews. The only problem I have with it is its hard for me to walk for like 2 1/2 days"

Boo boo14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had the three shots back in the 90's and still walking on my leg with no more surgeries."

Gerisue (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had knee pain and swelling since age 12, it has gradually gotten worse over the years. Especially since I was diagnosed with Lupus, SLE & DLE. In the past year I have had excruciating pain. I went to the ortho and was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis. I have since had surgery to remove some dead bone. The psin got better, then worse again so I got the shot of SYNVISC. It has really, really helped. I am just scared something will change amd I will be back on the sidelines of my own life. So much to deal with...."

Staceson March 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had my first shot in my left knee almost 3 years ago! Was amazing and still no issues to this day. My second shot was in the right knee which lasted a little over a year and just had the third in that same knee. Almost PAIN free in both. Far better than surgery!!! Highly recommend before opting for surgery!!"

Schnickelgruber January 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Before injections, had continuous pain in right knee; even during the night with little relief from aleve or motrin. Had some relief with physical therapy. After third injection, night pain was totally gone injections were two years ago. Now, only take Aspirin (arthritis back & body) when I am doing strenuous exercise or gardening. Can walk 6-8 miles a day with only slight discomfort. I have not needed more injections."

64 year old male January 22, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"First two injections worked very well ,third injection seemed to stiffen my knee more .I did not get the desired results."

sunbell (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I received one shot and was told I couldn't have another for 6 months. It's been 3 weeks with no relief from the pain. I am still limping significantly. Hoping it is just a matter of waiting longer for it to take effect."

Anonymous October 4, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Extreme pain and inflammation on the sight where injection was done. It happened in my first and now my second set of injections. The swelling last for about a week. I will not be getting my 3 rd set of synvisc injections. Too painful."

Anonymous September 11, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Received three injections of Synvisc in January 2015. After 1st shot I experienced a relief from severe pain I had been experiencing. After the 2nd shot the stiffness I had been experiencing began to subside. After the third shot my knees stopped hurting and it has been uphill for almost 6 months. I experience an occasional catching of the right knee, but no significant pain."

Castpolymer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had the 3 shots in 3 weeks. No results until about 2 months later. Very pleased at that time. Six months later, ready for another round of 3 shots & the return of relief."

Northboro Nan April 29, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Received Synvisc injection about 3 weeks ago and experiencing severe pain at injection site. This does not seem normal."

ryleesdad (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2014

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My wife recently took her second injections of synvisc one, about 6 months after the first. The first seemed to help reduce the knee pain a bit and she was looking forward to a similar experience. However it appears she had a severe allergic reaction to this second dose with many of symptoms described in the adverse reactions section of the clinical trials. By the afternoon of the injections she was experiencing severe back pain and thigh pain along with chills and shivering. By the evening she was not improving and her fever reached 104 with nausea and vomiting. We took her to the ER. They could find no evidence of infection through blood and urine test. Her fever and nausea improved but stomach still upset two days later."

Joseph72 June 29, 2014

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had the three shots of Synvisc and experienced no relief from knee osteoarthritis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2013

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had my first set of injections back in October 2012. I got almost immediate relief after a couple of days of swelling. It worked great for about three months then the effects started to wear off. I am hoping the second set of shots will work as well or better than the first."

Yonatan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2013

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had my first 3 injections 5 years ago and helped me for 5 years of pain free knees. Now 5 years later I have had my first injection yesterday and the next 2 in the next 2 weeks. Hope this one will also do the job for the next 5 years. Had no side effects whatsoever. I had a great doctor who did my hip replacement and also did the Synvisc injections. The key is to get a good doctor to do the injections. I highly recommend this injection."

Pastry chef January 25, 2013

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I first had the 3 in one injection 2 years ago with instant benefits and it lasted almost a year to the date. This is the 3rd time I have had the same injection but this time my knees are so swollen that I can not walk downstairs or get up from sitting. This is the second day and I am still hopeful that after the swelling goes down it will also last another year."

Utah Gal September 24, 2011

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had my third injection 30 days ago. I find the improvement to my knee to be ongoing. Kind of a two steps forward one step back situation. I can now go up stairs almost normally. I no longer limp as I walk and the knee is relatively pain free. I have hopes that I will be able to play raquet ball again sometime in the future."

Anonymous July 26, 2009

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I did the three injections and got less relief than the cortisone injections I had. Plus the shots are expensive even with insurance."

rutsy July 3, 2009

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Synvisc gave me significant, almost immediate relief from the bone-on-bone pain in my knees. Since then, as I continue to learn about my knee problems, I now understand that some of the pain is in the tendons around my knees, which are inflamed due to severe bow-legs. Still don't understand why the bowing is increasing with my age, but this forces my tendons to stretch in an incorrect manner, more on the inside of each leg than on the outside. Unfortunately Synvisc cannot address this problem, although it does provide a nice separation between the joint surfaces which also suffer from excess pressure on the inside portion of each knee. I am currently looking into shoe wedges to improve leg straightness by preventing excess supination."

Anonymous May 24, 2009

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have used Synvisc it for 7 years (getting injections every 6 months) and my doctor said I could be the poster child for the treatment. It held off my knee replacement by at least 5 years. I'd recommend it to anyone"

NeilBelek October 17, 2008

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

More about Synvisc (hylan g-f 20)

Other Formulations