User Reviews for Plaquenil to treat Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease

Plaquenil has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. 23% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 62% reported a negative effect.

Plaquenil Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease.

Reviews for Plaquenil

Juelle January 11, 2020

“Horrible drug for me. I was on it for about three days when I noticed a spotty rash everywhere on my face. On day six I was out and about when I started sweating, lost hearing, got very nauseous and then collapsed. I started convulsing on the ground. Fortunately this happened right outside of an allergy clinic and they were trained in first aid and had supplies. I had a cannula for a saline drip put in right there on the hallway floor, an oxygen mask put on my face, and they tried to intubate so that I could breathe. I had very low blood pressure and heart rate when the paramedics arrived. There was so little blood pumping that their finger heart rate monitor couldn't pick it up and they had to do it manually! On the way to the ER my glucose levels were VERY low and heart rhythms wonky. After hours in the ER they determined it was an allergic reaction/adverse effects from Plaquenil. Disclaimer: This was just my experience and was a fairly experimental choice of treatment in my case!”

LGFr · Taken for 10 years or more December 24, 2017

“I've been on and off Plaquenil for 13 years for Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD). I have NEVER had a flare while on plaq. The only times I've had flares was when I stupidly stopped taking plaq. That is a mistake I will never make again, after a life threatening flare in 2015. Now I am on plaquenil for life, and 100 % in remission. This drug has been absolutely amazing for me. I guess it just depends on individual body chemistry, but I love this drug so very, very much. Now, honestly, you have to give it 3-6 months to fully take effect, and it can cause GI upset and other side effects at first. You just have to tough it out and be strong-minded. Plaq is a game changer for many UCTD patients but you need to be tough and patient!! Don't skip doses.”

Angel · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 1, 2019

“I have been taking 200 mg of Plaquenil twice a day for 10 years. I get my vision checked every 6 months. I have had some thinning of my hair and can be nauseated in the morning if I don’t eat but these are minor side effects compared to the symptoms it is treating. Switched to a new rheumatologist (mine retired) and the first thing he did was start weaning me off Plaqenil saying I’ve been on it too long. I’m down to one pill once a day and absolutely miserable. I’m easily fatigued, achy, and feel exhausted. Started going to bed earlier and earlier but not feeling rested. Don’t want to get out of bed. Now I’m depressed because I felt great on drug he says I can’t have.”

CharlotteA1979 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2016

“I did not have any adverse effects as such on starting this medication except mild skin rash, have been on it for about 4 years. Have been relatively okay but what produced a dramatic improvement was an antiinflammatory , antitoxic diet with no artificial,packaged or canned foods, no sodas etc. accompanied by yoga and especially breathing exercises pranayama dIly 30-45 minutes which produce miraculous results over time.”

LaffyTaffy123 February 9, 2015

“I started taking this medication three months ago,November. The doctor told me it would take up to three months to work .After the first month the fatigue lessened.I didn't want to sleep all day long,I actually wanted to move.Soon after the occurrence of joint pain also lowered.It still hurts when I push myself to hard and on.rainy days but the pain isn't consistent anymore.”

Anonymous May 12, 2011

“My rheumatologist put me on Plaquenil for UCTD. Two days later I started having migraines, fits of crying, anxiety attacks, irritable, very depressed, and feeling almost convulsive. When the doctor took me off the medicines, I slept for 15 hours, just getting up to have dinner and going back to bed. This medicine is NOT for me.”

CL March 30, 2020

“Took plaquinil for two months had to stop because of the reaction I had started getting very itchy. I didn't realize what it was at first it was just my back that would last 20 minutes, then the longer I took it the worse it got ended up stinging itch all over that was lasting over an hour and half unbearable nasty drug I will never take again”

Anonymous March 15, 2016

“I was on this medication for one day when I began to gave sereve vomiting 30 minutes after taking it and stomach bloating and uncontrollable gas. By day six I called my doctor to tell him I had bilateral muscle weakness in my legs and could hardly walk a straight line without feeling like I was going to fall down. My doctor stopped the medication after six days after I began to take it when I presented with a known severe adverse side effect of this medication " muscle weakness and loss of coordination"”

musicteach85 · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2013

“I just started this medicine a few weeks ago. My rheumatologist told me that it could take up to 12 weeks to work. I have had stomach cramps, diarrhea, headaches, and worsening of symptoms in my joints. I am not going to give up on this. I don't really want to rate it because I have not been on it long enough. I wanted to comment so that others could possibly get some encouragement to hang in there if possible.”

LucyDJ · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2017

“I took this medication for only 3 weeks for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. (Diagnosed 15 years ago, medication free for the last 11years). My only active symptom at the time was Raynaud's. I really did not want to take any medication, and felt that improving my lifestyle/keeping warm was worth a try, but my (new) rheumatologist pushed it and said he would discharge me if I didn't take it. All my other tests (lung function, heart scan, bloods) were fine. What a mistake. It did not help my Raynaud's, but did cause huge hives from my neck to my ankle. My last dose was May 25th, it is now August 9th and these unsightly hives continue to come and go. With such a long half life (up to 50 days) it will take over 18 months to fully eliminate it”

EB November 21, 2020

“George: just read your review and had to reply. Hope u read this. I’m the same age; similar exp w/ symptom prog. over a 10 year span. But with AS, I got a few diff opinions (also HLA-B27- but very high pos ANA). My rheum still wanted imaging of my Sacroiliac Joints. 10 yrs of drs never suggested it. It’s diff than just your spine/pelvis. If you haven’t had it specifically, look for a rheum who works with a radiology center. Bc I’ve had an MRI to check prog.; report came back clean. Luckily had a rheum who said no way, got the disc & said it was the worst MRI ever. If it had been first & trusted report, I would have never known I had damage. Didn’t respond well to anti-TNF (for AS). 3 yrs ago was dx’d w/ UCTD/EDS Hypermobility Type. If you haven’t had a rheum check you for that, find a new one. Changed my life. No cure, but finally have right treatment team. I really hope you read this and it helps. If you have any questions let me know I would love to help.”

Amber4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2015

“I have been taking plaquenil for over 6 weeks to treat autoimmune hair loss. My hair and itchy scalp has not improved at all. In fact it was even worse for a few weeks. Now I'm getting sores all around my eyes with a cyst on my eyelid and an inflamed blood vessel. I called my rheumy today to ask for a switch. I'm very disappointed because it seemed like the best out of the bunch for side effects.”

Baco77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2016

“I took this for undiagnosed non specific mixed connective tissue myalgia type issues and it made the roof of my mouth and teeth ache. I stopped and the ache went away. I restarted and the ache came back after a couple of days. Went like this back and forth and it was definitely the medicine. Also I started to feel worse while taking it. It could be that the weather is getting colder and that always makes me feel worse. but we decided I couldn't tolerate an increase in dosage which was what would have been next on the treatment plan so we moved on to something else. Still searching.”

angelfever February 11, 2015

“For the past 2 years I have had itching on my head. Can be any area of scalp. None on face. I take 50 mg of antihistimine every day, just to keep it mild. But it doesn't stop it. No redness, no dry scalp.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

“I feel extremely depressed yet agitated after I take my dose.”