User Reviews for Orthovisc

Osteoarthritis
6.7

Summary of Orthovisc reviews 6.7 127 reviews

Reviews for Orthovisc

For Osteoarthritis "I've had continuous knee problems and really want to share my story because hopefully doctors and insurances will see orthovisc as more of an acceptable treatment for younger people. I had orthovisc injections 5 years ago and was pain free for about 4 years. As far as I can tell I've had no side effects and after all the failed physical therapy and failed cortisone injections that left scar tissue I was so happy with the pain relief orthovisc left me in both my knees and the life I was able to lead on without pain. Now that I'm trying to get orthovisc injections again I'm being told that it's not an option. That I have to start from square one with physical therapy and cortisone. Unfortunately my options are cortisone and surgery. Hopefully my review on orthovisc will spread and more people may share their stories about it. Hopefully one day there will be enough success stories that orthovisc or similar treatments become more accepted by doctors and insurances."

The 24 Year Old September 11, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "This is my 3rd time getting the Orthovisc injections. I have also had Synvisc, Uflexa and Hyalgen in the past. The Orthovisc gives me the most relief out of all of them. My doctor uses a fluoroscope to ensure the needle is in the right place. He usually does a pain free injection. If it does hurt it’s minor and doesn’t last long. I make sure to ice my knees several times after each injection and take it easy for 48 hours. Within a few weeks of finishing the series I am almost pain free! I get the injections about every 6 months. I am hoping to avoid knee replacement by doing the injections. I’ve heard it’s possible so I’m going for it. I really appreciate the Orthovisc for the quality of life I have with it."

Hikerchick (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "My first round of orthovisc I was told would last 6 to 9 months for my bone on bone knee pain. The shots were painless and I was pain free for two years. Now I am back for my second round. It sure beats knee replacement which was my only other option. I am having pain again so I am ready for round two. Hope it lasts as long this time. I highly recommend it."

Wooddoctor (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "53 year old male, powerlifting for 35 years, multiple meniscus surgery's, bad arthritis, knee replacement is needed I was told. I had my first orthovisc shot today, don't know about anyone else's doctor, but is was painless, couldn't feel the shot being administered. I can't wait for my other 3 rounds. Before my shot I'd say my pain level on a daily basis is probably an 8, at times I hate to walk to my car to go out for lunch, so I know what pain is."

ridindirty744 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I was sedentary after unsuccessful rotator cuff surgery and next thing I know my right knee is throbbing. Pain that would wake me out of sound sleep. Trouble walking. Some days better than others. I had meniscus tear repaired 15 yrs earlier. Figured worst case another scope. After MRI they say I’m bone on bone and potential candidate for replacement. Next was Cortisone which did nothing. Then tried the 3 orthotics injections 1 week apart. Injections with numbing injection first were not bad at all. The knee felt unstable after each injection and relief really didn’t start until about 3 weeks after last injection. It’s 15 months since and my knee has been holding up well. Occasional issues with very heavy use like 6-8 hours of moving up and downstairs. Not sure I could be trusted to go on a 4-6 hour hike but you have to adjust your lifestyle. I’m shocked to hear people had pain with injection and I can only think they didn’t get the lidocaine injection first."

Tomo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Removing excess fluid and prednisone was much more effective. This had no effect."

Elcheapofl (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Spent last summer in physical therapy to no avail. I have since learned that physical therapy just builds up the muscles AROUND the knee to help stabilize it. After much thought, pain and more thought, decided to try the Orthovisc injections. Started with the first injection third week of October, 2017 and had last, third, first week of November, 2017, It is now July, 2018 and still seems to be working. The injections stabilized the knee and I have been almost pain free. The only reason I did not give this injection a 10 was they were quite uncomfortable to get!!"

JES (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I am 43 need both knees replaced. I had both knees done with this treatment and this has been the worst. I can barely walk, sit or stand after these injections. I can’t sleep I try walk but too much pain. I have been out of work for 3 years now my doctor say next step is replacement and disability which will be hard for me to get because of my age????? Crazy when I’ve worked all my life DON'T really know what move to make now"

Shariece (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Felt better almost immediately. Been dealing with knee pain for 10+ years. Done many things: cortisone, orthoscopic, PT and nothing worked until this. Shots were not painful at all, but in my left knee the gel hurt more than the right, but it’s possible since that knee is more of a mess with excess fluid that there may be a correlation. Hopefully I’ll be able to start running for the first time in years. I had a great sports med orthoped who really knew what I needed. Of course I went to 3 others prior"

Gabg (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I'm 45 and have been told I will eventually need a double knee replacement. Had a meniscus tear repair on my right knee a year ago ( knee still hurts) and now have a tear in my left knee. Cortisone injections didn't last. Finished my last shot of a series of 3 Orthovisc last Friday (injections were very painful), and I have no relief at all. I would say since getting the shots my knees are worse. I can't stand more than 5 minutes without them both hurting terribly, lots of swelling and trouble sleeping. I've been told it can take up to 6 weeks for the shots to provide relief, I'm hoping I see relief sooner than that."

Chip (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I was excited to try this new medication I originally had a cortisone injection. Then I had three separate Orthovisc injections 3 weeks apart. Unfortunately I did not see any difference in my pain or ability to walk. I had arthroscopic surgery nearly nine months ago which did not help with my knee pain either."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I am in my mid 50’s and very active, participating in 4-5 Triathlon events per year, including the Ironman 70.3. Severe knee pain after a recent 1/2 Marathon was eased by the first of four scheduled injections aimed at relieving stress behind the kneecap from arthritis. So far, after one treatment , so good; back to running pain free !"

CBH April 20, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Awesome experience with this drug. I have advanced osteoarthritis at 38 years old and I’m super active. My doc suggested a series of three shots. I’m on shot two and feeling great. The shot did not hurt me at all. I would encourage to seek out the best injector at your practice. They make all the difference. Also relax when receiving the injection."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I have two shots two weeks in a row. First one I felt relief in about 3-4 days. My second shot was nearly a week ago and I am in pain around the area of the injection. If this pain was gone I’d be feeling much better than 2 weeks ago. Not sure if the injection was too soon after the first or if I tensed up or some other reason. The area above my knee cap is swollen and the area around the injection site is a bit inflamed and tender. Wondering if anyone has had this issue. My next shot is in a week and considering waiting longer."

Hiera April 1, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Both knees are arthritic. I had 4 injections of orthovisc and I continue to experience pain. I previously had synvisc injections which did give me 6 months of pain free knees. Sorry that I did not get synvisc again."

lunamaya February 12, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "orthovisc is like any injection: the injector is the key; not every doctor, esp. a pa. is a great injector; I had horrible knee pain at night, took MRI, had a torn miniscus, flap tear and I guess some arthritis; anyway, did my 4 injections with great orthopod, who uses ultra sound guidance while injecting; as I remember, the first round of 4 was ok; had a 2nd round of 4 and have been totally pain free for over 3 years. So thats my story. Be very, very careful about the dr. you are working with. Read the above about the man with bone on bone; my girlfiriend, after surgery was bone on bone and was told she would never play tennis again; she went on orthovisc for the last nine years , and is still playing singles. She is 73."

gfoell February 9, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Was diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my right knee last March I started with physiotherapy which only aggravated it, then tried injection of cortisone which only made it about 40 percent better for no more than 3 weeks. Last week received orthovisc and to my surprise doctor administered all three in one shot saying studies have shown no difference in 3 different sessions or all at once (I wasn't going to argue she went to med school not me) so I did it an unfortunately 10 days later I don't feel any better at all it's as if I never went. Hoping that this kicks in but losing hope. Worse pain of all is when driving!!"

Subc (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Had series of three shots in right knee last one 11/9/2017. The shots stabilized my knee, but I was left with one "area" of the knee that was tender; however, I could take walks in our hilly neighbourhood, go to the grocery store without pain and generally get on with my life. It is now 1/1/18 and the that pesky "area" is hurting more. I am now using the RX NSAID on a fairly regular basis and icing the knee every night. I have to say, I am disappointed - to say the least -. It felt really empowering to be able to walk again"

Nelly4819 January 1, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I got my last of 4 orthovisc injections 4 days ago, the 1st two injections didn't even feel, the 3rd was intense and painful and the 4th even more intense and I felt the Dr. Moving the needle, he said he was having a hard time finding the spot! Very very intense. But I made it. Note after 2nd shot and right before the 3rd shot was walking better, and bending knee and no pain. After 3rd and 4th still have the issue of not bending knee when I walk and TAKING Ibuprofen 800mg 2 times a day. I have 2 tears in my left meniscus and bone spurs and a bakers cysts, also have osteoarthritis ! Doctor has been saying total knee replacement right from the start. I am at times walking better and the pain only really hurts when I am due for next meds"

debilyne (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "Osteoarthritis in right knee eventually lead to bone on bone. After my last scope Nov. 2015, the pain persisted to where I had a steroid injection. It relieved some of the pain for 2 months (considered non-effective according to FDA), then the excruciating pain returned. Last nonsurgical option was Orthovisc, which all 3 injections were very painful. I didn't experience relief until 2-3 weeks after the last injection. I have been pain free, with an occasional very brief episode (seconds) of some pain. Now it's October 2017, and it's been wearing off. But 12 months worth of no pain was definitely worth it. So glad I toughed it out!"

48 yr. old (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I found the reviews helpful, In March I had a shot of Cortisone in my right knee. It was effective for 5 months. When my pain returned the doctor recommended Ortho Visc. I had 3 treatments, each a week apart, I had relief after a few days, but it didn't last. I had the final injection on August 30th. It really hurt, and I was light-headed afterwards, and could hardly walk. The PA that gave me the last treatment had me rest until I felt OK to walk and drive. He told me to mark 3 weeks on the calendar, at which time I would feel no pain. (Did that mean I would be dead?!) After 8 days I am almost pain free! Now to see how long it lasts."

JYSZ September 7, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "Had my first injection 18 months ago 1st injection of series was no pain, 2nd of series extreme pain, swelling, stiffness, 3rd injection no pain. I had no real knee pain for 18 months remained active with Pilates, hiking, walking, circuit training. Pain started again in June 2017, started injections again in September, 1st injection no pain, next day no swelling but few twinges. I hope I get another 18 months or more. Had surgery 2 years ago, Knee remains stable right now, goal is to avoid any surgery for now on."

Shebe (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 7, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I completed the series of 3 Orthovisc injections Aug. 15 and sadly not noticing much improvement. I read from one comment that relief wasn't noticed till about a month so I am hoping like crazy that it will work. After the first injection it seemed like there might be hope for my knees and I gave a 10-15% improvement but nothing after the first go round. Had a good Dr. that used an ultrasound so the needle wasn't too bad. More pressure then pain but I am disappointed with the results so far."

Nickapoo September 2, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I've been getting Orthovisc injections for 12 years, I'm 52, just had first of 3 again this am. Makes big difference for me, and has. Tried another brand, 3 shots in one, yikes and didn't last. Yes the 3rd shot more painful, and yes feels a bit wobbly at first after each injection but gone within a day. Still snowboarding, hiking, paddle boarding, wakesurfing more than wakeboarding (that is impact). Thank you for orthovisc. PS side note, have a reputable orthopedic with great PA's who mostly do the injections. It can go crazy painful bad with that long needle."

CindyCSML August 4, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "My Dr thought this would be a good idea for me because of my knee condition I had had for years. I figured I'd give it a go and big surprise it made it worse a lot worse - it was like he stirred up a hornets nest after those shots. Now I'm having more trouble with it than ever before with walking pain, sleeping pain, knee resting pain, it's all worse I'm 40 and walk like I'm 80. Physical therapy was a joke considering my condition can't be fixed without replacing the knee. All physical therapy did was get me to shift my weight to one side and now my other knee is giving me problems. I guess the Dr won't be happy until I'm in a wheelchair ."

Terrible pain nightmare (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017