User Reviews for Orthovisc

Osteoarthritis
6.3

Reviews for Orthovisc

Jenna · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “I have had bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees for about 4 years. On disability. The pain without an anti-inflammatory is unbearable. Cannot walk. Refuse to take opioids. I take 2400 mg of Ibuprofen every day. Really worried about continued use of that amount - my poor stomacch. I Got my 1st Orthovisc injection in both knees 4 days ago, hte injections were nearly pain free, but the result is now I can barely walk. I seemed to be having improvement of about 25% the first couple of days, though the injection site was sore. But over the past 24 hours my worst knee is much more painful and worse than it was before I went. It feels like the gel did not reach the inside of my knee, where my damage is. I am going back Tuesday for the 2nd shot but before I do, I am talking with the doctor. This is terrible. Just terrible. The pain from Orthovisc is constant and nothing helps. Has anyone else experienced this?”

kmm · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For Osteoarthritis: “3rd injection of Orthovisc on 2-8-2021. Today and everyday for the last week I wake up and can barely walk. Have to carefully navigate up and down stairs. 62 YO Male - always consider myself healthy and active. Knee was getting worse and slowing me a bit. Now I am distressed by the lack of improvement, and actually being worse off. Calling doctor tomorrow to see what is up.”

Peep · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “I am going in for my second shot of Orthovisc for both knees. I was extremely skeptical about it but gave it a try since the cortisone treatments only lasted for a few months. My first round of shots of Orthovisc were fantastic! I felt relief in a short space of time. No more concrete-like heaviness in the knees or crackling and shooting pain, except in the winter. Mine were in a lot of pain due to fibromyalgia, osteo arthritis, plus a car accident where they got smushed between two cars. So there was A LOT to the pain. Orthovisc worked wonders for me, personally. Plus it has been helpful for 1-2 years. I can't remember how long it's been, but it's been quite awhile, maybe even 3 years. I hope the second round works as well as the first did. And that everyone using it will find similar relief in it.”

Shel · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2021

For Osteoarthritis: “I’m 52. I had my first injection of 3 today. It was not a terribly painful injection. But.... instantly I could not walk. I stayed in the room for quite some time. I then somehow waddled out to the waiting room. I realized then I parked my car very far from the front door. It was the worst pain my knee has ever felt. I’ve had a left total knee done and this pain today... way worse than after surgery pain. So it’s evening now. I’ve wrapped it, icing it, doing next to nothing because I cannot put any sort of weight in it without having extreme pain. Even now resting it... incredibly painful. I sure hope I’ve done the right thing.”

GYoonit · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “27 yrs old. ACL reconstruction in left knee (quad tendon graft). Recently diagnosed with OA. Pain and stiffness was getting worse by the day as I have been increasing my activity for the past year playing basketball. I am currently on my second injection and have been pain free ever since the first injection. My knee has become much more flexible and even stronger. No more crunchiness and stiffness. Orthovisc as simply been amazing and even life-changing for me.”

Mare · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “I'm 72 with bone on bone osteoarthritis in my knees. Orthovisc has been a miracle for me - I got THREE YEARS of relief! I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I feel like a really lucky girl that it works for me. Good luck, everyone!”

Alston · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “I am 74 years old, bone-on-bone both knees. Three years ago my fight leg kept collapsing, I couldn't walk down subway steps, etc. I started orthovisc shots in Right knee and just added left knee.. I can now do squats and lunges, etc (which they said would be totally impossible) with no pain thanks to orthovisc shots every 6 months and regular exercise to build up muscles around the joints.”

boopah · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2014

For Osteoarthritis: “I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis and had surgery to fix meniscus tear. Osteoarthritis is bone on bone, tibia and femur, on the outside of my left knee. Probably due to trauma playing soccer. I am 45 year old women. Played soccer since 3rd grade, high school, college and after. Since 2000 I've mainly only run. Jan 22, 2014 was my surgery. Just over a month after my surgery, I had my first injection. I did not say anything to anyone because I surprised at how much better the knee felt. Normally just walking I would have sharp pain on the outside of knee, after shot, I did not feel this. On day two after shot, I walked for exercise over 3 miles and my knee felt great. I hope the next 2 injections go just as well and hope this pain free feeling lasts.”

Amazedgurl · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2012

For Osteoarthritis: “I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I had a torn meniscus repaired in my left knee a year ago. My knees were killing me. The surgery provided some relief but they both hurt constantly and going upstairs or an incline was awful! I had my first of 3 injections last week. The shot was uncomfortable but bearable. My knees hurt pretty bad for the first few days after the shot. Now almost a week later my knees feel so much better. It's unbelievable. I had learned to deal with pain when I stood from sitting and pain when I sat down! To not feel the pain when I stand is amazing! I highly recommend the injections!”

Josh D. · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2013

For Osteoarthritis: “At age 72 I had 4 weekly shots of Orthovisc on both, bone-to-bone knees. During the first 45 minutes after injection the knees feel like brand new again. Then, it wears off. But..after 2 weeks upon completion of the 4 shots, my knees feel wonderful. An amazing treatment, give it some time to really start working.”

greatful December 4, 2015

For Osteoarthritis: “I was in so much pain from my knees with arthritis, bone rubbing on bone - I had my first set of injections in April. I took a month or so to really fell the effects. No more pain and swelling when standing and doing house cleaning, etc. I had the second set 6 months later. I can go up and down stairs. I can do house work, gardening, and shopping with minimal pain. Best thing I ever did for myself.”

Al June 19, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “Started the series of 3 injections in each knee last November, I am in June , 8 months later, I felt a twinge a couple of times and have started the next series, it really has helped to ease the pain in my knees, I probably could go a month or so longer but why wait till the pain gets bad...For me personally it has been a godsend..”

Maimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “I am so sorry I got these injections! It's been 6 weeks since the third and last injection of Orthovisc, and my knee is hurting significantly more than before the injection. I now have to take as many as allowed advil and ultram to try to get by. My knee throbs and swollen and stiff. I can hardly walk. I am going Thursday to get cortisone injections and then I have to wait 90 days to do my right knee replace. Never did that before the injections. MUCH WORSE and bigger area of pain This drug should be banned!"”

cicci · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2012

For Osteoarthritis: “I am a72 year old woman previously very active hiking daily, yoga daily. I fell and tore minuscus in three places...4 doctors have told me to do knee replacements...however I have chosen to do Orthovisc 4 shots every 6 months....as long as I do strengthening exercise I am 90% pain free..however cannot hike hills or mountains and yoga is limited...but can swim and bicycle..Since I know so many with complications from knee surgeries....I will continue on this route. Mind you I lead a very full life and on my feet at least 9 hours a day....”

Red G September 24, 2014

For Osteoarthritis: “While doing a twist in Zumba in January I felt a pop and terrible pain in my knee. I was in great pain when walking, for a month, with a knee I have never had a problem with. When I went to the orthopedic Dr he told me I was bone on bone and a candidate for knee surgery. I am 68 yrs old, very active and have never been overweight, I was shocked at the diagnosis. Cortisone gave me no relief. Starting in March I had one injection for 4 weeks, with minimal relief. A month after the last shot (middle of May) I got out of bed with 90% relief and a bit more improvement for 5 to 6 days. It is now 5 months and I am almost pain free! I will have this again when it wears off.”

SB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “I’m at 70-year-old woman who a year ago could not walk down stairs normally or bend my knee 90° because of a bone on bone patella. I first had a Cortisone injection which lasted about a month and then went to three injections of Orthovisc. Because the doc first numbed my knee with lidocaine I barely felt the injections under my kneecap. The relief has been tremendous! I must admit I did this in conjunction with physical therapy to increase range of motion and a lot of overall strength training. So I’m not sure what has been the most beneficial. All I know is I can now go down stairs normally, walk without pain, have better range of motion, and can run agility again with my dog. Thank goodness for Medicare which covers it!”

anna/texas · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2014

For Osteoarthritis: “I have osteoarthritis. I could not bend my knees. Walking was impossible. My dr. Discussed using the cortizone injections. They would help for a week or so. And then back to pain. Well, my dr. Discussed the Orthovisc injections. I'm on my 2nd injection and what a relief. There is some swelling after but nothing ice packs can take care of. I recommend these injections for me ..they worked. Now hopefully they will help for 6mos. .. but I would certainly have them again.”

gma December 14, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “Knee is much worse than before Orthovisc injection, I have only had one and will NOT have it again. I am hoping that my knee will return to pre injection status, My knee is now so swollen, stiff and sore I can not bend it. Doctor told me to try this before joint replacement. This is just awful !”

Shoulder arthritis · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 21, 2014

For Osteoarthritis: “I have arthritis in both shoulders. It's a wear and tear issue as I'm 68 years old and have been exercising fanatically for 50 years. My orthopedic doctor recommended Orthovisc injections and I have had great results. I heartedly recommend Orthovisc. Some studies have shown that people facing replacement issues have been able to put off the surgery or even avoid it altogether when following a regimen of two series a year with Orthovisc.”

Citos · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2013

For Osteoarthritis: “I took my 2nd injection two days ago and for the first time in two years I can bend my left knee to a much greater degree. I feel very optimistic about playing tennis again. I was told that I am on bone and bone and needed a knee replacement. Go try this injection before considering surgery.”

Barb T · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 25, 2013

For Osteoarthritis: “I have had these shots 4 times now. They say the relief lasts about 6 months, but this last time I was able to go 11 months without a shot. I am working out every day and playing tennis again. Love it!”

omajayne June 10, 2009

For Osteoarthritis: “I had my first injection of Orthvisc on 08 June 2009. My next scheduled dates are 15 June 09 and 22nd June 09. I have had 3 series of the Supartz and I can tell a big difference in my knee. I am out of pain as of the first injection. No side effects. I am glad to be getting only 3 injections as opposed to the five of Supartz. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and the left one is the worst. The doctor wants to do knee replacement on that one however at age 67 in Oct 2009, my medical doctor does not want me to have the surgery yet. I am very pleased today, 10 June 09 with the results and pain free from my first injection of Orthovisc. Perhaps this is the answer and Medicare will pay for the injections every six(6) months. So I am looking on the positive side.”

Amber P May 16, 2014

For Osteoarthritis: “I am 32 and have bad arthritis in my knee basicly bone on bone the Dr says, but I'm way to young for a knee replacement. The Dr recommended the the 4 Orthovisc injections every week for 4 weeks. Not going to lie, getting the shot itself was very uncomfortable. I have had 2 so far, and they have helped with pain but its getting the shots I don't like. They are helpful but expect to feel discomfort during and for the few hours after the shot my leg feels heavy till I " walk it out".”

15yearsw/OrthoArthritis · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2016

For Osteoarthritis: “I obtained relief (from swelling, hot, painful knee joints) after religiously taking Glucosamine-chondroitin and calcium for six months, I kept this up with good results until pain returned May 2016.PCP referral to orthopedic surgeon who took x-rays of my hip & both knees & told me there was virtually no cartilage left, bone grinding against bone & bone spurs near both knees. I got Cortisone shot in in the one knee, then following week in the other w then after 2 weeks or so, started the orthovisc "gel" shots in my right knee--once per week for 4 weeks. The needle going into knee was not bad, but, pressure of gel filling knee was uncomfortable, but only for a few seconds. Excellent relief after the 3rd shot w/ good range of motion in knee.”

MellenL · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “THIS DRUG IS NOT WORTH THE POSSIBILITY THAT IT WILL WORK. For those that found relief in these reviews I cannot express my envy for you. Since my third injection all I can say is my pain from before the injection has gone from discomfort but manageable with Ibuprofen or Naproxen - to after the orthovisc EXCRUCIATING and no drug, prescribed or otherwise can ease the pain! That 6.5 avg. rating is a pretty big clue, wish I'd read this before getting these injections. Everyday since the Ibuprofen and Naproxen (that ruin your insides) stopped working I have done everything possible - elevated, compressed, iced and the pain is still keeping me in tears and unable to concentrate on any work. I swear I just want to get rid of my leg or worse... My Ortho doctors have no clue what the next step will be and I cannot continue to live like this. GOD HELP ME PLEASE! Just save yourself the trouble. I know insurance makes you go through worthless steps before approving knee replacement. This is TORTURE!”