User Reviews for Orthovisc

Orthovisc Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Orthovisc to treat Osteoarthritis

"I'm 45 and have been told I will eventually need a double knee replacement. Had a meniscus tear repair on my right knee a year ago ( knee still hurts) and now have a tear in my left knee. Cortisone injections didn't last. Finished my last shot of a series of 3 Orthovisc last Friday (injections were very painful), and I have no relief at all. I would say since getting the shots my knees are worse. I can't stand more than 5 minutes without them both hurting terribly, lots of swelling and trouble sleeping. I've been told it can take up to 6 weeks for the shots to provide relief, I'm hoping I see relief sooner than that."

Chip (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2018

"I was excited to try this new medication I originally had a cortisone injection. Then I had three separate Orthovisc injections 3 weeks apart. Unfortunately I did not see any difference in my pain or ability to walk. I had arthroscopic surgery nearly nine months ago which did not help with my knee pain either."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

"I am in my mid 50’s and very active, participating in 4-5 Triathlon events per year, including the Ironman 70.3. Severe knee pain after a recent 1/2 Marathon was eased by the first of four scheduled injections aimed at relieving stress behind the kneecap from arthritis. So far, after one treatment , so good; back to running pain free !"

CBH April 20, 2018

"Awesome experience with this drug. I have advanced osteoarthritis at 38 years old and I’m super active. My doc suggested a series of three shots. I’m on shot two and feeling great. The shot did not hurt me at all. I would encourage to seek out the best injector at your practice. They make all the difference. Also relax when receiving the injection."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

"I have two shots two weeks in a row. First one I felt relief in about 3-4 days. My second shot was nearly a week ago and I am in pain around the area of the injection. If this pain was gone I’d be feeling much better than 2 weeks ago. Not sure if the injection was too soon after the first or if I tensed up or some other reason. The area above my knee cap is swollen and the area around the injection site is a bit inflamed and tender. Wondering if anyone has had this issue. My next shot is in a week and considering waiting longer."

Hiera April 1, 2018

"Both knees are arthritic. I had 4 injections of orthovisc and I continue to experience pain. I previously had synvisc injections which did give me 6 months of pain free knees. Sorry that I did not get synvisc again."

lunamaya February 12, 2018

"orthovisc is like any injection: the injector is the key; not every doctor, esp. a pa. is a great injector; I had horrible knee pain at night, took MRI, had a torn miniscus, flap tear and I guess some arthritis; anyway, did my 4 injections with great orthopod, who uses ultra sound guidance while injecting; as I remember, the first round of 4 was ok; had a 2nd round of 4 and have been totally pain free for over 3 years. So thats my story. Be very, very careful about the dr. you are working with. Read the above about the man with bone on bone; my girlfiriend, after surgery was bone on bone and was told she would never play tennis again; she went on orthovisc for the last nine years , and is still playing singles. She is 73."

gfoell February 9, 2018

"Was diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my right knee last March I started with physiotherapy which only aggravated it, then tried injection of cortisone which only made it about 40 percent better for no more than 3 weeks. Last week received orthovisc and to my surprise doctor administered all three in one shot saying studies have shown no difference in 3 different sessions or all at once (I wasn't going to argue she went to med school not me) so I did it an unfortunately 10 days later I don't feel any better at all it's as if I never went. Hoping that this kicks in but losing hope. Worse pain of all is when driving!!"

Subc (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2018

"Had series of three shots in right knee last one 11/9/2017. The shots stabilized my knee, but I was left with one "area" of the knee that was tender; however, I could take walks in our hilly neighbourhood, go to the grocery store without pain and generally get on with my life. It is now 1/1/18 and the that pesky "area" is hurting more. I am now using the RX NSAID on a fairly regular basis and icing the knee every night. I have to say, I am disappointed - to say the least -. It felt really empowering to be able to walk again"

Nelly4819 January 1, 2018

"I got my last of 4 orthovisc injections 4 days ago, the 1st two injections didn't even feel, the 3rd was intense and painful and the 4th even more intense and I felt the Dr. Moving the needle, he said he was having a hard time finding the spot! Very very intense. But I made it. Note after 2nd shot and right before the 3rd shot was walking better, and bending knee and no pain. After 3rd and 4th still have the issue of not bending knee when I walk and TAKING Ibuprofen 800mg 2 times a day. I have 2 tears in my left meniscus and bone spurs and a bakers cysts, also have osteoarthritis ! Doctor has been saying total knee replacement right from the start. I am at times walking better and the pain only really hurts when I am due for next meds"

debilyne (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2017

"Osteoarthritis in right knee eventually lead to bone on bone. After my last scope Nov. 2015, the pain persisted to where I had a steroid injection. It relieved some of the pain for 2 months (considered non-effective according to FDA), then the excruciating pain returned. Last nonsurgical option was Orthovisc, which all 3 injections were very painful. I didn't experience relief until 2-3 weeks after the last injection. I have been pain free, with an occasional very brief episode (seconds) of some pain. Now it's October 2017, and it's been wearing off. But 12 months worth of no pain was definitely worth it. So glad I toughed it out!"

48 yr. old (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2017

"I found the reviews helpful, In March I had a shot of Cortisone in my right knee. It was effective for 5 months. When my pain returned the doctor recommended Ortho Visc. I had 3 treatments, each a week apart, I had relief after a few days, but it didn't last. I had the final injection on August 30th. It really hurt, and I was light-headed afterwards, and could hardly walk. The PA that gave me the last treatment had me rest until I felt OK to walk and drive. He told me to mark 3 weeks on the calendar, at which time I would feel no pain. (Did that mean I would be dead?!) After 8 days I am almost pain free! Now to see how long it lasts."

JYSZ September 7, 2017

"Had my first injection 18 months ago 1st injection of series was no pain, 2nd of series extreme pain, swelling, stiffness, 3rd injection no pain. I had no real knee pain for 18 months remained active with Pilates, hiking, walking, circuit training. Pain started again in June 2017, started injections again in September, 1st injection no pain, next day no swelling but few twinges. I hope I get another 18 months or more. Had surgery 2 years ago, Knee remains stable right now, goal is to avoid any surgery for now on."

Shebe (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 7, 2017

"I completed the series of 3 Orthovisc injections Aug. 15 and sadly not noticing much improvement. I read from one comment that relief wasn't noticed till about a month so I am hoping like crazy that it will work. After the first injection it seemed like there might be hope for my knees and I gave a 10-15% improvement but nothing after the first go round. Had a good Dr. that used an ultrasound so the needle wasn't too bad. More pressure then pain but I am disappointed with the results so far."

Nickapoo September 2, 2017

"I've been getting Orthovisc injections for 12 years, I'm 52, just had first of 3 again this am. Makes big difference for me, and has. Tried another brand, 3 shots in one, yikes and didn't last. Yes the 3rd shot more painful, and yes feels a bit wobbly at first after each injection but gone within a day. Still snowboarding, hiking, paddle boarding, wakesurfing more than wakeboarding (that is impact). Thank you for orthovisc. PS side note, have a reputable orthopedic with great PA's who mostly do the injections. It can go crazy painful bad with that long needle."

CindyCSML August 4, 2017

"My Dr thought this would be a good idea for me because of my knee condition I had had for years. I figured I'd give it a go and big surprise it made it worse a lot worse - it was like he stirred up a hornets nest after those shots. Now I'm having more trouble with it than ever before with walking pain, sleeping pain, knee resting pain, it's all worse I'm 40 and walk like I'm 80. Physical therapy was a joke considering my condition can't be fixed without replacing the knee. All physical therapy did was get me to shift my weight to one side and now my other knee is giving me problems. I guess the Dr won't be happy until I'm in a wheelchair ."

Terrible pain nightmare (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017

"I am 86, in good health and play tennis twice a week. The bone on bone problem started about 5 years ago and the orthovisc has been a blessing. I heard about its effectiveness in only 50 % of people treated and am so glad it's working for me. No problem with the injections. I can feel when I need another shot - probably about 8 months."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2017

"I have bone on bone on my left knee, so bad I was ready for a replacement. My Dr. suggested we "give the shots a shot", if they don't work, we'll take the next step. He is an expert at giving shots to the knee as I felt no pain, just a bit of pressure as he did each injection. At first I was very disappointed as I didn't feel any difference. About a month and a half after we finished the series, I noticed I had no pain in my knee! Lasted about a year, going in for another 3 shots next month. Dr. says it works for some, but not all, and I'm glad I 'gave it a shot'."

PKiddy (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

"Last June I participated in a road clean up and after a 1/2 mile I could no longer walk. Went to an orthopedist who took an xray. I got the impression that he just figured I was an overweight old lady who needed to complain. I heard his surprise when he saw I had bone on bone. He recommended 3 injections. The 1st one wasn't bad. The 2nd hurt a bit and after the last one I couldn't even get off the table it was so painful. Relief has lasted a year and now I have an appointment to see a new doctor for another round. So, yes, as someone mentioned the doctor you use makes a difference!"

BIB6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

"I am 58 and have some osteoarthritis in my right knee. I have had 3 shots now and I am not feeling it. Still hard to walk / painful. I will be receiving 1 more shot and hoping and hoping it kicks in???"

aljsa June 27, 2017

"I had my first series of three shots in 2015. What a relief I received from them. I am bone on bone with 2 spurs in my left knee. My first set of shots lasted almost 20 months with little pain. I just completed my 2nd series of 3 shots and the knee is already feeling better. My doctor said that about half of the people get relief with the shots, but I feel it is worth a shot to see if you in that 50% who get relief."

Golflady3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2017

"I found out i have the beginnings of arthritis in both knees. I had the 3 shot course and at week 7 I've had no pain relief."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

"This has given me my life back! I have had these injections now for the past 4 years and would not be walking without them. THE QUALITY OF THE TECHNICIAN ADMINISTERING THE SHOTS IS VITAL! The first few shots I received were incredibly painful (I almost fainted) and only lasted a couple of months. Apparently the technician got close...but didn't get ALL of the gel INTO the all-important knee capsule and some got wasted. I went to another doctor who used an x-ray machine to verify that the fluid was going in EXACTLY where it needed to go and what a difference! Hardly any injection pain and the shot lasted 7 months before I needed more. L"

Sporty Florida Girl May 10, 2017

"I tore the lateral meniscus in my right knee when I took a spill on our stairs. Had a partial meniscectomy. MD also found a small amount of OA on the lateral femur and have it off during that arthroscopic procedure. He recommended gel injections. I had the series of 3 beginning 7 weeks post-op. I had swelling and decreased ROM with increased pain after each injection, second was the worst. I am 13 days post injections and still with some joint swelling, don't have full ROM back, and do not feel the injections helped; I think they regressed my recovery. If I had to do it over again, would NOT do the injections!!! So frustrated!!!"

HB Runner April 25, 2017

"Worse pain and total lack of movement."

USC Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2017