User Reviews for Intuniv to treat ADHD

Intuniv Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Intuniv

Whoareyou · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

“43 years old male ADHD and anxiety. I'm also on dexadrine 10mgs twice a day. This medication is definitely not for me. At week 2 I couldn't take my stimulants anymore, had the D/T's, massive anxiety attacks. I tried to ride it out for a month but I just got more anxiety depression and insomnia. I will stop this med and am not looking forward to the rebound hypertension and whatever else nasty happens. Not a good option for me.”

special · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 13, 2020

“While intuniv didn't help me focus as well as vyvance or ritalin It still helps a fair amount with staying focused without any of the irritability. It also takes quite a while to start working, overall I'd give it a try; I've been on it for roughly 10 years now.”

TruJB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

“I have a 9 yr old HF autistic that is mixed with some add and ODD. He use to have huge meltdowns at school to the point he was harming himself and whoever was in the way. He would go hot to cold in seconds we believed it was a mood disorder. They tried to prescribe resperidone at first but I refused because of all the research I did on it.. once the doctor gave me intuniv ALL the meltdowns literally STOP! In May it will be a year he has been on it I give him 2mg every night because when I gave it in the morning he was falling asleep in class. And if he was to miss 1 dose it throws him all off. If he doesn't eat enough on it he does get nauseous with headaches but it's only those random days he doesn't feel like eating anything specially at school so I always try to remind him eating and drinking water is a must! That is my only downfall about it is those random times he does get sick.”

TiredWolf · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“I DONT RECOMMEND TAKING THIS DRUG Intuniv 18male 63kg 170cm Was prescribed for my ADHD and anxiety 2mg all the way first 2 weeks only tired but concentration improved. 3rd week was real bad, I got extremely anxious random panic attacks all the time, heart pain ,dark thoughts , started crying every other hour , were exhausted and irritated also lost control of my emotions got angry out of nowhere And worst of it was that I forgot who I were sometimes panicked because I couldn’t remember my parents. Pls don’t take this drug look for something else stimulates or whatever but inutniv can destroy your life or make it much worse.”

Aussie Mum · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2019

“My son has anxiety and mild ADHD. He had about 3 months on Ritalin and Concerta and after coming off it I know he is far worse than he was before. Intuniv is a better option for him and helps him when struggling to focus at school. He is also on Lexapro for anxiety. He can only take 1mg Intuniv as it makes him tired. I have just started to give him his dose straight after school as I figure it might help him stop feeling so tired in the last period of school as this is a problem for him. We live in Australia so it only costs me $5.50 for 28 tablets. I feel for you all having to pay those ridiculous prices for medicine and hospitalization.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

“I love Intuniv! It takes time to help with focus but it started helping with my anxiety within the first week of taking it. I take it in the morning since I take clonidine at night to help me sleep. It made me tired at first but that eventually went away. Definitely try Clonidine and Intuniv if you respond poorly to stimulants!”

LG97 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

“I have been on this medication for about 6 months that I can recall for my Anxiety and ADD . First few times I took it at night but could not fall asleep as the doctor told me it would. Now I normally take it around 1 to 3 pm in the evening and I get very productive. I love this medication for this. I have depression, anxiety and ADD and it helps with the ADD a lot. I even notice at work I become way more focused and awake ready to do work. This medication has also helped me lots in school as I would be quieter in class and listen more. I do see that my emotions are calmed down as well. I would say this is the best medication I have ever had in my life and I believe so. It has truely changed my life for the better. I have also been on many stimulants and my emotions were all over on those. This is an amazing medication. I take 1 mg as well.”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

“So far so good. My 14 year old just started this drug. He’s ADD and has had major set backs in life because of it. Stimulants helped however this drug has made him able to verbalise thoughts, think clearly, remember (most noticeable), engage with friends and make friends, be much more organised, plan things, be attentive in a calmer way, recognise when he needs the bathroom, communicate feeling and sensation in his body, the list goes on. Wish we’d known about this drug (and dr) 7-8 years ago.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

“Well I was taking ritalin just by itself which has helped immensely, but I needed something to make it last longer as i would get mild comedowns between doses and need to take another dose before the 3 hour mark, roughly about 2 hours & 40 mins I would feel the comedown, so I've started intuniv with it. 1mg has been amazing making it stretch out longer without having to also deal with comedown & faster heart etc. Now that I've started on 2mg I notice I get really slow and tired, also sometimes a faster heart rate but oxygen levels are still good. I think 2mg for me is to much, I might stick to 1mg. Overall I think it's great but yeah for me 2mg makes me feel like rubbish.”

Jer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2019

“I'm an 18 year old male, I've been taking ADHD medications since I was 7 years old. The big problem I had with them is anxiety. I was taking 80mg Vyvanse previously and was able to drop it to 60mg with 1mg Intuniv. This worked great and helped solve some of my anxiety. Since, my workload has increased dramatically so I had to once more increase my doses slightly. It's my first day on 70mg of Vyvanse and 2mg Intuniv. Honestly this medication is very good. As a little bonus I find it really helps control and notice one's own impulsive behaviors. Over all very good. I'll keep posted on how the 2mg on intuniv works. (I'm 155lbs) 5'10 Started Intuniv 5 months ago ”

Lime · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2019

“I’ve been experiencing side effects that make my day to day life very difficult. I’m dizzy, I feel like my vision is blacking out when I walk, I’m extremely lethargic and find myself sleeping all the time, I’ve been having stomach problems, a high heart beat (and I thought Intuniv was supposed to subdue you), an extremely dry mouth, and sooo much anxiety. I haven’t even noticed any positive changes in my ability to focus, since I’m constantly disoriented or asleep.”

Mommo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2019

“My 11 year old son has ADHD & ASD. After bad experiences with stimulants we tried Straterra. He was on it for 3 years but it was not the best for him. Finally the doctor and we decided to trial him on Intuniv. We weaned him off the Straterra over 6 months as we were also titrating the Intuniv. He is now off the Straterra mad and on Intuniv, 2mg twice a day. (am & pm). It works great. He is a model student and finally calm enough to handle school to his full potential. He is compliant and agreeable... In control, no longer hyper... But the drawback is the weight gain. He already had a weight issue but now it is out of control. Up 10 pounds from August to December. I feel terrible for him.”

Marlinne · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2018

“This medicine just made my son worse than he was before..more aggressive and antisocial. I'm so afraid to try mew medications. Feeling sad Intuniv was a night mare for us.”

Anne · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2018

“I’m (female) rapid cycling bipolar 2 and ADHD and PMDD. My doctor did a genetic test and found that I have a defect in the adrenaline pathway. My dopamine pathway is ok which means Addreal and co wouldn’t work for me. Hence she prescribed me this drug since it works on adrenaline regulation. I’m 37 and 65 kilos. On 1mg I already felt a massive difference and on 2mg I’m even better. Less depression, less anxiety, less irritability, almost no food cravings only real hunger!, less heart racing, less urge to move. I have no dry mouth, no sleepiness, no abdominal pain. Etc. Only negative side effect I feel is a maybe 30 percent decreased libido and it takes me longer to reach orgasm. I strongly believe that this drug works for me so well given I actually need it. I.e. I HAVE that genetic defect. So please everybody have your tests done.”

Kraut · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2018

“I would rate Intuniv an 11 if possible. My son is Autistic & ADHD, began taking Intuniv at age 10. The 1st week he took it was 1st time in his life he slept thru the night for an entire week. He must take in AM, not PM. Now age 18, just returned to brand, as generic was a disaster. Intuniv = miracle.”

Bossmama September 15, 2018

“I would like to say that my son is 10 years old and is a non to limited verbal level 3 autistic child. We have tried everything and I feel as though this medicine has brought my little boy back. He is no longer experiencing insomnia the way he used to, he's so much happier, he is trying to communicate more he is working well with others he smiles and laughs like used to. I could not be more pleased with what this medicine has done and he has not been on it for even the full week I highly recommend this medication to my fellow autism ADHD mama who never get to sleep and are stretched too thin and have trouble with getting their child to relax and focus. This is not a stimulant medication. This is not an addictive medication this is a godsend and I think whoever made this medication it is definitely the best possible medication for an autistic child and I couldn't rated higher than 10 and if I could it would be in 11”

Rodgert June 19, 2018

“Male adult ADHD mostly inattentive (but restless on the inside!), also bipolar type 2. I was on Ritalin for about a year and had a lot of problems with dry and stuffy nose with frequent infections. Atomoxetine had similar effects sleepy, nasal stuffiness, premature ejaculation (only ejaculation was premature). Intuniv actually reversed nasal dryness, my nose never felt better. Intuniv is both stimulating and calming effect, and my mood generally is better. I have more frequent urination at night, often have to get up 5am to go to the bathroom, sometimes it is hard to get back to sleep, but then usually instant release Clonidine helps (clonidine has helped for problems with insomnia). I have NOT had any problems with sexual side effects on intuniv which is great. Perhaps only slight increase in libido but could be due to improvement in mood as well. Appetite is normal , has helped me lose a little weight. Ritalin used to give me increased hunger and sugar cravings.”

Mojo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2018

“I've been taking Intuniv in conjunction with Vyvanse for five months now and managed to work my way up to 6 mg before going back down. It's an odd medication, initially I had experienced constipation, fatigue and sleepiness for the first two months. This was followed by insomnia when I started taking 5 or 6 mg. I've been feeling very anxious lately, I'm not sure if that's due to jumping down from 6 to 4 mg yesterday or not having slept for more than 4 hours per day for the last few weeks. The Intuniv reduces the emotional blunting I get from a low dose of Vyvanse, but I haven't felt like it does much if I take more than 30 mg of the stimulant.”

Mom · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2018

“My 8yr old daughter started this medication to help her behavior in school along with her other stimulant medication she takes for ADHD. This medication increased her irritablity, aggression, and changed her happy sweet self. It did not help her it made her symptoms worse. Took her off of it as it didn't improve anything besides making her overly tired and grumpy. Increasing her bad behavior. Stimulant works best, but will try more behavioral therapy along with her current medication that helps, as Intuniv didn't help any behavior issues and being implusive in my daughter.”

LEO Wife December 20, 2017

“My child has Aspergers & ADHD Combined. Today is day one for my six year old being on this medication: 1mg extended release. This is the first medication I have ever had him on aside from tylenol or ibuprofen once in a while when he doesn't feel good. He took the medication last night around 7:30pm. He had a bit of a meltdown today, not as long lasting as it has been. He cleaned up everything, then started crying silently at his desk. His teacher said he hasn't done that before. She asked if he needed a break and he said yes. He proceeded to fall asleep in his "safe place" in the classroom (under the teachers desk) from 10:45am to 12:30pm. She tried to get him up several times but he fell back to sleep. Pharmacist said it's normal for about 2 weeks. More to come...”

Atoz123 December 10, 2017

“Used 3-4 mg dose for autism related meltdowns during teen years. Made my son very irritable and agitated. Did not notice sleepiness. Just an overall grumpy, agitated attitude towards everything.”

lcerulli · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 23, 2017

“I would like to share my experience with Intuniv for those specifically w/ comorbid ADHD/Bipolar. It initally improved working memory (easier to take time to perform tasks such as not jumping ahead while reading), then, as it works on 2A receptors, created a DECREASED DESIRE to perform the tasks. Essentially, it lowers NE. So, lower motivation, which nearly completely negates the easier task performance. THIS IS A COMMON THREAD. Therefore, works better in conjunction w/ stims. It also created depersonalization. Finally, it caused a unique mixed episode w/ grandiosity and irritabilility, but psychomotor retardation and grumpiness. Think increased prefrontal, decreased limbic. Bipolars BEWARE. We are different than strict ADHD cases.”

JaneKB September 27, 2017

“My eight year old started this medication after a failed trial of stimulants. Prior to that he had extensive behavioral therapy. In addition to ADHD he has a tic disorder and sleep onset disorder. The stimulants exacerbated his tic causing muscle strain and pain. This medication has helped with all of the above and takes the edge off of his difficult personality. He will now sit still and read a book. He is still irritable at times, but this has always been a problem for him; I don't feel this medication has made it any worse. Last year his standardized test showed below basic comprehension. The school feels this was due to his lack of impulse control on multiple choice tests more than a lack of knowledge. We've got high hopes for a better school year.”

mikeyinto · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2017

“My 10 year old son has severe ADHD and Autism. He has been on Intuniv for almost a year starting with 1mg and progessively until 4mg. While it did help a bit with his sleep at night, we have taken him off the medication with no difference in his behavior other than he seems to have fewer and less severe meltdowns. I don't think it did much for him.”

hahaha6 May 3, 2017

“Great medication. I was originally prescribed this medication in a treatment center to help me sleep and with anxiety when I got off of amphetamines (adderall, other amphetamines). I was taking it at bedtime. I found that it helps more with my focus, and it wears off during the day. I take 3mg once daily. However, I still have some strong ADHD symptoms. Intuiv just helps me... stay less scattered. Oh, and insurance is a rubbish it can be difficult to get this medication even with insurance.”