User Reviews for Intuniv

ADHD
6.3

Summary of Intuniv reviews 6.3 124 reviews

Reviews for Intuniv

For ADHD "Male adult ADHD mostly inattentive (but restless on the inside!), also bipolar type 2. I was on Ritalin for about a year and had a lot of problems with dry and stuffy nose with frequent infections. Atomoxetine had similar effects sleepy, nasal stuffiness, premature ejaculation (only ejaculation was premature). Intuniv actually reversed nasal dryness, my nose never felt better. Intuniv is both stimulating and calming effect, and my mood generally is better. I have more frequent urination at night, often have to get up 5am to go to the bathroom, sometimes it is hard to get back to sleep, but then usually instant release Clonidine helps (clonidine has helped for problems with insomnia). I have NOT had any problems with sexual side effects on intuniv which is great. Perhaps only slight increase in libido but could be due to improvement in mood as well. Appetite is normal , has helped me lose a little weight. Ritalin used to give me increased hunger and sugar cravings."

Rodgert June 19, 2018

For ADHD "I've been taking Intuniv in conjunction with Vyvanse for five months now and managed to work my way up to 6 mg before going back down. It's an odd medication, initially I had experienced constipation, fatigue and sleepiness for the first two months. This was followed by insomnia when I started taking 5 or 6 mg. I've been feeling very anxious lately, I'm not sure if that's due to jumping down from 6 to 4 mg yesterday or not having slept for more than 4 hours per day for the last few weeks. The Intuniv reduces the emotional blunting I get from a low dose of Vyvanse, but I haven't felt like it does much if I take more than 30 mg of the stimulant."

Mojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

For ADHD "My 8yr old daughter started this medication to help her behavior in school along with her other stimulant medication she takes for ADHD. This medication increased her irritablity, aggression, and changed her happy sweet self. It did not help her it made her symptoms worse. Took her off of it as it didn't improve anything besides making her overly tired and grumpy. Increasing her bad behavior. Stimulant works best, but will try more behavioral therapy along with her current medication that helps, as Intuniv didn't help any behavior issues and being implusive in my daughter."

Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For ADHD "My child has Aspergers & ADHD Combined. Today is day one for my six year old being on this medication: 1mg extended release. This is the first medication I have ever had him on aside from tylenol or ibuprofen once in a while when he doesn't feel good. He took the medication last night around 7:30pm. He had a bit of a meltdown today, not as long lasting as it has been. He cleaned up everything, then started crying silently at his desk. His teacher said he hasn't done that before. She asked if he needed a break and he said yes. He proceeded to fall asleep in his "safe place" in the classroom (under the teachers desk) from 10:45am to 12:30pm. She tried to get him up several times but he fell back to sleep. Pharmacist said it's normal for about 2 weeks. More to come..."

LEO Wife December 20, 2017

For ADHD "Used 3-4 mg dose for autism related meltdowns during teen years. Made my son very irritable and agitated. Did not notice sleepiness. Just an overall grumpy, agitated attitude towards everything."

Atoz123 December 10, 2017

For ADHD "I would like to share my experience with Intuniv for those specifically w/ comorbid ADHD/Bipolar. It initally improved working memory (easier to take time to perform tasks such as not jumping ahead while reading), then, as it works on 2A receptors, created a DECREASED DESIRE to perform the tasks. Essentially, it lowers NE. So, lower motivation, which nearly completely negates the easier task performance. THIS IS A COMMON THREAD. Therefore, works better in conjunction w/ stims. It also created depersonalization. Finally, it caused a unique mixed episode w/ grandiosity and irritabilility, but psychomotor retardation and grumpiness. Think increased prefrontal, decreased limbic. Bipolars BEWARE. We are different than strict ADHD cases."

lcerulli (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2017

For ADHD "My eight year old started this medication after a failed trial of stimulants. Prior to that he had extensive behavioral therapy. In addition to ADHD he has a tic disorder and sleep onset disorder. The stimulants exacerbated his tic causing muscle strain and pain. This medication has helped with all of the above and takes the edge off of his difficult personality. He will now sit still and read a book. He is still irritable at times, but this has always been a problem for him; I don't feel this medication has made it any worse. Last year his standardized test showed below basic comprehension. The school feels this was due to his lack of impulse control on multiple choice tests more than a lack of knowledge. We've got high hopes for a better school year."

JaneKB September 27, 2017

For ADHD "My 10 year old son has severe ADHD and Autism. He has been on Intuniv for almost a year starting with 1mg and progessively until 4mg. While it did help a bit with his sleep at night, we have taken him off the medication with no difference in his behavior other than he seems to have fewer and less severe meltdowns. I don't think it did much for him."

mikeyinto (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2017

For ADHD "Great medication. I was originally prescribed this medication in a treatment center to help me sleep and with anxiety when I got off of amphetamines (adderall, other amphetamines). I was taking it at bedtime. I found that it helps more with my focus, and it wears off during the day. I take 3mg once daily. However, I still have some strong ADHD symptoms. Intuiv just helps me... stay less scattered. Oh, and insurance is a rubbish it can be difficult to get this medication even with insurance."

hahaha6 May 3, 2017

For ADHD "Five days into starting on Intuniv XR (1mg daily at bedtime) for mild hypertension, a massive panic attack occurred. I am a 52 year old male with no prior history of such attacks. I stopped the medication the next day, but it continued at 100% intensity for five days straight. Sweating, shivers, tremors, moaning, racing pulse, hot flashes in face and extremities, tight sternum knot, stabbing pain in left chest. Constant feelings of hopeless, despair and suicide. Luckily by day six it had dropped 50% strength, tapering off quickly at first, then more slowly over the next ten days. Three weeks later I still have palpitations and inner tremor causing insomnia. The doctor refuses to believe it, but I'm convinced the drug caused the attack."

rglennie May 1, 2017

For ADHD "My son took generic for about 6 months. His dr actually prescribed it to him to help him sleep. He has ADHD combined type with emotion dysregulation. I actually can't believe it was prescribed to help control ADHD behaviors. My son was taking Vyvanse during the day then Guafacine at night. It made him extremely irritable and tired. I took him off both of the meds. He's hyper but a whole lot less frustrated that's for sure"

Vana B April 14, 2017

For ADHD "The brand version of Intuniv has been extremely helpful for my son with helping him to moderate his ADHD behaviors. He was diagnosed with the hyperactive subtype, and the problematic behaviors all but disappeared while taking a daily 2mg dose. He has been taking Intuniv for over 4 years now with no observed side-effects."

RefDave (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2017

For ADHD "We started my 5 yr old on this, the 1 worked for him for a few weeks, then we noted an increase in aggression and hyperactivity. They upped him to 2 mg and now he has not slept in days no more than 4 hours a night and then he wakes and starts kicking the door to his room and screams at the top of his lungs until we get him up, he has trashed his bedroom and said he noticed curtains moving when there are no movement. He is loud and violent and swearing, I called the DR right away after the first night of him saying his curtain rod was moving, so they said take it at night instead, but then waking up for a week at 3 am has been a nightmare. We are so stressed and over whelmed with this behavior he is out of control."

catinacat March 20, 2017

For ADHD "I've been on Intuniv for about 10 months and I am in high school. Intuniv has been working for me. I mean the first few months I was really tired and was falling asleep in band class. But it has been working I am not as tired anymore but I get dizzy whenever I stand up no matter how slow I stand up or drink water. I have been getting really mad lately though. My mom won't let me change my meds any ideas?"

Aironhennen28 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2017

For ADHD "My son has ADHD and is taking intuniv 3 mg, I find with this drug he is so sleepy all he wants to do is sleep, it's supposed to help his concentration but it doesn't, he's too tired. It also makes him angry and he's in a bad mood all the time, I stopped giving it to him for a few days to see if it would make a difference in his mood and it did he was so much happier, I don't know what to do whether to keep him on it or stop it. The doctor is adamant that it's not the drug it's behaviour but I know it is the drug. Anyone else have this problem...."

Louises32 March 6, 2017

For ADHD "I started my son on guanfacine 1mg at night. He was 7. This is after trying a Prozac/ clonodine mix to treat his ADHD, which I hated because all my kid did was sleep. With the guanfacine, which is the generic for intuniv, he is doing great!! The 1mg at night didn't work well though. After all the adjustments I made, I ended up giving him a 1 mg in the morning and a 2 mg at night. This combo works great and my kid does not sleep all day. In fact, he hardly naps-he has made friends in school and is doing great!!"

Lyd516 February 25, 2017

For ADHD "Have been on intuniv for about a month now. I feel like I have been crawling out of my skin and emotionally very upset. I feel at times I could break down in tears over a commercial, or when my kids hug me and tell me they love me. I am normally a emotionally reserved man and keep them in check because of my line of work. I really do feel like I am going nuts on this medication. I have officially stopped taking the medication until I can talk with my doctor."

Medic Mike (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

For ADHD "My 5 year old son started off on the generic version for 2 weeks before switching to the intuniv. He did OK on the generic tenex (not an extended release), it just made him drowsy. The 1St day on the intuniv (extended release) however, he was busy, could not sit still for nothing & sleep was not on his mind. 2nd day, his Dr. told me to up the dose to 2mg(b/c he had been taking 1mg of the generic 2 weeks prior). My son was worse! He was worse than he was before he started any of the meds. Dr. took him off & put him back on the generic, 1mg, no problems so far besides the drowsiness. Generic, $60 some bucks, intuniv $300. Surprised the cheapest works better!"

Sarah Lee Scott (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

For ADHD "My son is 14 and has tourettes and adhd. He was put on Intuitiv and it has helped with his focus and his tics. At first he was extremely tired, but after taking it for a bit that part is not as bad. The teacher noticed a big improvement. Luckily there have been no other side effects. We started at 1mg and are now on 3 mg. It is my sons choice whether he wants to be on meds or not. He had chose to go off for a bit in the summer and then once back in school he wasn't doing so great so he chose to go back on it. It really helps with the tics."

Jaydsmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

For ADHD "Our son has been on Intuniv for 3 yrs. We started in K when he was diagnosed with ADHD he is very impulsive, not easily compliant, underlying anexity. The behavioral issues in school, we began at 1mg. BIG NOTE HERE, I have read reviews, I'm surprised a Dr. prescribes this Med to a patient at a higher dosage! Always start at 1mg & increase as time goes on, if needed. My son was on 1mg for a yr, we increased to 2mg in October. By that summer, I reduced to 1mg. Having to raise it again one mth into school. We were able to get thru that school year on 2 mg. Now, Year 3 & we increased to 3mg 3 days ago. Anyone have experience with 3mg with their 8 yr old? He is super sleepy as he adjusts and irritable. naps, wakes up, seems happy again."

jmsdoe October 30, 2016

For ADHD "Ours 8 year old son as done so much better with the Intuniv. He takes 2 mg, at night. I see posts on the cost, check a Canadian pharmacy. We only pay $450 for 90 days, brand. Otherwise, would be $900 here in the states. You fax your prescription and they mail you 3 month supply. No side effects for us."

Molly78 September 29, 2016

For ADHD "Our son was diagnosed with ADD when he was in grade 5-he was started on vyvanse and after a few months and a dose increase developed psychotic episodes. This experience scared the life out of me so we stopped the drug and revisited pharmaceuticals with our pediatrician. She suggested Intuniv and we tried it. Our son has been on the drug now for almost 4 years-he is on the max dose for his age (3 mg) (?) and I honestly can't see if there is a difference. He has had no visible side effects-nothing like I have been reading about above. If anything he has put on weight (it is not a stimulant). We are going to try weaning him off in the next few months to see if there is a difference in schoolwork and to see if the med is really working."

BrendaKM (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2016

For ADHD "My 8 y.o. was prescribed this medication to help with her aggression and hyperactivity. It did not help her, at all. I feel she had actually gotten a little worse while taking it. She had a lot of trouble falling asleep.. she would wide awake at midnight, when 1am some nights. Besides the trouble sleeping issue, she only seemed to experience one other side effect, which was nausea, but only on the first night. I gave it one month and then told her Psychiatrist that it wasn't for her."

KMKs Mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

For ADHD "I started intuniv when I was 11 almost 12 and those first 6 months were hell, I would sleep from the time I got home from school so 3 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning and WAS STILL TIRED! I would fall asleep in class or on the bus it was miserable. We told the doctor and she said well just push through it and push through the tiredness, might I add if you were ever on this medicine it is not a tired you can just push through. But I tried to anyways for the next year or so and I would not sleep everyday as much but there were some days where I would sleep the entire days away! It did get better but I would still fall asleep in class and be exhausted constantly!! FINALLY when I was 15 the dr took me off of that and its been so wonderful!!!"

lions563498 July 31, 2016

For ADHD "my 18 yo adhd plus anxiety daughter takes this med at bedtime- it has changed her life. you do have to start at lowest dose and advance up to therapeutic dose- you do have to stay well hydrated to avoid constipation and low bp. The trade off in loss of almost all of her anxiety behaviors and her eagerness to now seek out activitites and social interaction outside the house is amazing. we could not have achieved this without the close monitoring of her pediatrician. our insurance does cover generic at a very reasonable copay"

lilyt (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2016