User Reviews for Intuniv

Learn more about Intuniv.

ADHD 116 reviews 38 medications

6.3
Summary of Intuniv reviews 116 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Intuniv

For ADHD "Great medication. I was originally prescribed this medication in a treatment center to help me sleep and with anxiety when I got off of amphetamines (adderall, other amphetamines). I was taking it at bedtime. I found that it helps more with my focus, and it wears off during the day. I take 3mg once daily. However, I still have some strong ADHD symptoms. Intuiv just helps me... stay less scattered. Oh, and insurance is a rubbish it can be difficult to get this medication even with insurance."

hahaha6 May 3, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "Five days into starting on Intuniv XR (1mg daily at bedtime) for mild hypertension, a massive panic attack occurred. I am a 52 year old male with no prior history of such attacks. I stopped the medication the next day, but it continued at 100% intensity for five days straight. Sweating, shivers, tremors, moaning, racing pulse, hot flashes in face and extremities, tight sternum knot, stabbing pain in left chest. Constant feelings of hopeless, despair and suicide. Luckily by day six it had dropped 50% strength, tapering off quickly at first, then more slowly over the next ten days. Three weeks later I still have palpitations and inner tremor causing insomnia. The doctor refuses to believe it, but I'm convinced the drug caused the attack."

rglennie May 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My son took generic for about 6 months. His dr actually prescribed it to him to help him sleep. He has ADHD combined type with emotion dysregulation. I actually can't believe it was prescribed to help control ADHD behaviors. My son was taking Vyvanse during the day then Guafacine at night. It made him extremely irritable and tired. I took him off both of the meds. He's hyper but a whole lot less frustrated that's for sure"

Vana B April 14, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "The brand version of Intuniv has been extremely helpful for my son with helping him to moderate his ADHD behaviors. He was diagnosed with the hyperactive subtype, and the problematic behaviors all but disappeared while taking a daily 2mg dose. He has been taking Intuniv for over 4 years now with no observed side-effects."

RefDave (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "We started my 5 yr old on this, the 1 worked for him for a few weeks, then we noted an increase in aggression and hyperactivity. They upped him to 2 mg and now he has not slept in days no more than 4 hours a night and then he wakes and starts kicking the door to his room and screams at the top of his lungs until we get him up, he has trashed his bedroom and said he noticed curtains moving when there are no movement. He is loud and violent and swearing, I called the DR right away after the first night of him saying his curtain rod was moving, so they said take it at night instead, but then waking up for a week at 3 am has been a nightmare. We are so stressed and over whelmed with this behavior he is out of control."

catinacat March 20, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "I've been on Intuniv for about 10 months and I am in high school. Intuniv has been working for me. I mean the first few months I was really tired and was falling asleep in band class. But it has been working I am not as tired anymore but I get dizzy whenever I stand up no matter how slow I stand up or drink water. I have been getting really mad lately though. My mom won't let me change my meds any ideas?"

Aironhennen28 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My son has ADHD and is taking intuniv 3 mg, I find with this drug he is so sleepy all he wants to do is sleep, it's supposed to help his concentration but it doesn't, he's too tired. It also makes him angry and he's in a bad mood all the time, I stopped giving it to him for a few days to see if it would make a difference in his mood and it did he was so much happier, I don't know what to do whether to keep him on it or stop it. The doctor is adamant that it's not the drug it's behaviour but I know it is the drug. Anyone else have this problem...."

Louises32 March 6, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "I started my son on guanfacine 1mg at night. He was 7. This is after trying a Prozac/ clonodine mix to treat his ADHD, which I hated because all my kid did was sleep. With the guanfacine, which is the generic for intuniv, he is doing great!! The 1mg at night didn't work well though. After all the adjustments I made, I ended up giving him a 1 mg in the morning and a 2 mg at night. This combo works great and my kid does not sleep all day. In fact, he hardly naps-he has made friends in school and is doing great!!"

Lyd516 February 25, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "Have been on intuniv for about a month now. I feel like I have been crawling out of my skin and emotionally very upset. I feel at times I could break down in tears over a commercial, or when my kids hug me and tell me they love me. I am normally a emotionally reserved man and keep them in check because of my line of work. I really do feel like I am going nuts on this medication. I have officially stopped taking the medication until I can talk with my doctor."

Medic Mike (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My 5 year old son started off on the generic version for 2 weeks before switching to the intuniv. He did OK on the generic tenex (not an extended release), it just made him drowsy. The 1St day on the intuniv (extended release) however, he was busy, could not sit still for nothing & sleep was not on his mind. 2nd day, his Dr. told me to up the dose to 2mg(b/c he had been taking 1mg of the generic 2 weeks prior). My son was worse! He was worse than he was before he started any of the meds. Dr. took him off & put him back on the generic, 1mg, no problems so far besides the drowsiness. Generic, $60 some bucks, intuniv $300. Surprised the cheapest works better!"

Sarah Lee Scott (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My son is 14 and has tourettes and adhd. He was put on Intuitiv and it has helped with his focus and his tics. At first he was extremely tired, but after taking it for a bit that part is not as bad. The teacher noticed a big improvement. Luckily there have been no other side effects. We started at 1mg and are now on 3 mg. It is my sons choice whether he wants to be on meds or not. He had chose to go off for a bit in the summer and then once back in school he wasn't doing so great so he chose to go back on it. It really helps with the tics."

Jaydsmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "Our son has been on Intuniv for 3 yrs. We started in K when he was diagnosed with ADHD he is very impulsive, not easily compliant, underlying anexity. The behavioral issues in school, we began at 1mg. BIG NOTE HERE, I have read reviews, I'm surprised a Dr. prescribes this Med to a patient at a higher dosage! Always start at 1mg & increase as time goes on, if needed. My son was on 1mg for a yr, we increased to 2mg in October. By that summer, I reduced to 1mg. Having to raise it again one mth into school. We were able to get thru that school year on 2 mg. Now, Year 3 & we increased to 3mg 3 days ago. Anyone have experience with 3mg with their 8 yr old? He is super sleepy as he adjusts and irritable. naps, wakes up, seems happy again."

jmsdoe October 30, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "Ours 8 year old son as done so much better with the Intuniv. He takes 2 mg, at night. I see posts on the cost, check a Canadian pharmacy. We only pay $450 for 90 days, brand. Otherwise, would be $900 here in the states. You fax your prescription and they mail you 3 month supply. No side effects for us."

Molly78 September 29, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "Our son was diagnosed with ADD when he was in grade 5-he was started on vyvanse and after a few months and a dose increase developed psychotic episodes. This experience scared the life out of me so we stopped the drug and revisited pharmaceuticals with our pediatrician. She suggested Intuniv and we tried it. Our son has been on the drug now for almost 4 years-he is on the max dose for his age (3 mg) (?) and I honestly can't see if there is a difference. He has had no visible side effects-nothing like I have been reading about above. If anything he has put on weight (it is not a stimulant). We are going to try weaning him off in the next few months to see if there is a difference in schoolwork and to see if the med is really working."

BrendaKM (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My 8 y.o. was prescribed this medication to help with her aggression and hyperactivity. It did not help her, at all. I feel she had actually gotten a little worse while taking it. She had a lot of trouble falling asleep.. she would wide awake at midnight, when 1am some nights. Besides the trouble sleeping issue, she only seemed to experience one other side effect, which was nausea, but only on the first night. I gave it one month and then told her Psychiatrist that it wasn't for her."

KMKs Mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "I started intuniv when I was 11 almost 12 and those first 6 months were hell, I would sleep from the time I got home from school so 3 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning and WAS STILL TIRED! I would fall asleep in class or on the bus it was miserable. We told the doctor and she said well just push through it and push through the tiredness, might I add if you were ever on this medicine it is not a tired you can just push through. But I tried to anyways for the next year or so and I would not sleep everyday as much but there were some days where I would sleep the entire days away! It did get better but I would still fall asleep in class and be exhausted constantly!! FINALLY when I was 15 the dr took me off of that and its been so wonderful!!!"

lions563498 July 31, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "my 18 yo adhd plus anxiety daughter takes this med at bedtime- it has changed her life. you do have to start at lowest dose and advance up to therapeutic dose- you do have to stay well hydrated to avoid constipation and low bp. The trade off in loss of almost all of her anxiety behaviors and her eagerness to now seek out activitites and social interaction outside the house is amazing. we could not have achieved this without the close monitoring of her pediatrician. our insurance does cover generic at a very reasonable copay"

lilyt (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2016

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "I had been taking intuniv for a week at 10mg. 32 year old female, for add. Yesterday out of the blue at night I started getting brain zaps. My anxiety got so high I felt my heart was going to explode. I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. It was an utter nightmare and I ended up in the ER. I was afraid I was losing touch with reality. I'm still feeling anxious now too. I am never touching this med again. I just hope it gets out of my system soon. I can't believe they give it to kids. I almost went psychotic! It was a nightmare drug for me. Be careful please. Even at a low dose it can cause a nasty reaction. I'm also bipolar so that might have played a role in it too."

Sarai888333 July 15, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "We began with night wakings then more aggression. He was never aggressive like this before. Raised to 2 mg symptoms increased again. Still hyper and seemed worse than before. Upon reducing back to 1 mg to none it's been a nightmare. Red red cheeks. Bouncing off walls. Bouncing Up till 3 am. Starting to come down a bit but oh my god the havoc on his mind and body and us plus no sleep. Doc said there wouldn't be any withdrawal "

Amays July 12, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My daughter started this, she was tired and first but we moved it to a later time. After two months we moved her up to 2mg as she was still unfocused. Well I haven't slept in weeks, she is up alot at night won't sleep in her room anymore. We switched to taking it in the morning and thought it was a faze, i will be making an appointment to talk to her pediatrician. It was our choice as a nonstimulant and im not going to put her on one. Hopefully there is something else out there that will work as great during the day but not nightmares. We live in Canada and thankfully our insurance pays for it but that's not a reason to stay on it."

Very Tired mom June 6, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "Our 8 year old son started Intuniv the other day having been recently diagnosed with ADHD. His behavior during the day was definitely much less impulsive than ever, and he napped at 5pm (1mg administration at 9am). He awoke complaining of an upset tummy but ate dinner anyway. 2am & 5am vomiting. Poor kid. He doesn't know it's because of his new 'Vitamin'. Does the vomiting go away? Is there a way to preempt the nausea? We gave him plenty of water and healthy snacks when he was hungry...not up for doing this to him if this pattern sustains."

JenADHDmom (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "The best medicine for my child. Insurance will no longer pay for it so it costs $374.00 for 30 pills. Sadly, we cannot afford this, so my child is going to have to suffer. Life is going to be very hard. The drug companies and their price gouging need to be investigated."

jane doe doe February 16, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "This has to be taken at least 3 weeks to see if it works/get adjusted to the Body. This has been a Transformation for my Little brother Age 6 still in kindergarden he used to be very moody and seemed to get very hyper all the time. I would recommend this med to anyone suffering from ADHD and other behavioural issues. Side effects seem to be tolerable and gets less by time has had mild headaches and vivid dreams."

mary00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "This medicine was magical! My husband and I were shocked how fast this medicine worked for our son who is 8 now. It literally worked over night we couldn't even believe it. This medicine was life-changing for our family and such a great way. Three years later he is still on it but he's on 3mg now because of his age and weight. The only problem I believe he did get from it was constipation. We have that under control now."

4bricks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD "My 17 yr old daughter has been on Ritalin XL for three years, after having tried Concerta and Adderral. The doctor switched her to Intuniv and its reeked havoc on her body. She developed constipation so quickly, we thought she had appendicitis--ended up in emergency room! To date she has slept about 18-20 hours per day, has eaten only 1/2 grilled cheese and some blueberries in 24 hours. She's also light headed and dizzy. Last night she thought someone was showering at 4am. From reading these experiences, I believe Intuniv isn't right for her body. We know many kids it's worked for--unfortunately, not ours."

JodyKay11 January 5, 2016