User Reviews for Guanfacine

ADHD
5.8

Summary of Guanfacine reviews 5.9 197 reviews

Reviews for Guanfacine

For ADHD: "I have 11 year old twins super sensory seeking, ADHD, destructive behavior, they’re both diagnosed with aspergers and adhd. We’ve had them on stimulants since they were 4 y/o. They’ve had tics from the stimulants so last year their doctor prescribed this to help with tics. I saw a pretty mild decrease in tics ...they were still taking the stimulants. This summer we just kept giving them guanfacine, 2 mg, and no stimulants. That’s been great! They eat SOOO much more, fall asleep without melatonin. They eat REALLY well, they still play hard, have fun...have been able to go to church and broadway shows without making a scene..and best of all, NO TICS because they’re not on stimulants anymore!! We’ll see what happens when they return to school this fall, hoping to continue this way. One is having trouble waking up in the middle of the night...no problem falling asleep though, he says he wakes up throughout the night though."

Jen July 9, 2018

For ADHD: "I am a 33 year old female. I have had ADD all my life but wasn't diagnosed until my early 20s. I was on regular adderall for several years and steadily increased my dosage (became less and less effective). I tried adderall XR and that didn't work as well only lasting several hours. Became very irritable while on it. Started developing issues athletically and it drastically hindered my performance with fatigue and muscle cramping and headaches. Was on Vyvanse 40mg this year for a few months and it worked great..BUT FOR ONLY LASTED 3 hours. My insurance is terrible and wouldn't allow me to take a stimulant similar to Vyvanse that is longer acting. SO...my doc switched me to a Guanfacine and Amoxetine combination. Starting my second week on these new meds and I AM AN ANGRY MESS RIGHT NOW "

Angry Troll Meds July 6, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Male adult ADHD mostly inattentive (but restless on the inside!), also bipolar type 2. I was on Ritalin for about a year and had a lot of problems with dry and stuffy nose with frequent infections. Atomoxetine had similar effects sleepy, nasal stuffiness, premature ejaculation (only ejaculation was premature). Intuniv actually reversed nasal dryness, my nose never felt better. Intuniv is both stimulating and calming effect, and my mood generally is better. I have more frequent urination at night, often have to get up 5am to go to the bathroom, sometimes it is hard to get back to sleep, but then usually instant release Clonidine helps (clonidine has helped for problems with insomnia). I have NOT had any problems with sexual side effects on intuniv which is great. Perhaps only slight increase in libido but could be due to improvement in mood as well. Appetite is normal , has helped me lose a little weight. Ritalin used to give me increased hunger and sugar cravings."

Rodgert June 19, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I've been taking Intuniv in conjunction with Vyvanse for five months now and managed to work my way up to 6 mg before going back down. It's an odd medication, initially I had experienced constipation, fatigue and sleepiness for the first two months. This was followed by insomnia when I started taking 5 or 6 mg. I've been feeling very anxious lately, I'm not sure if that's due to jumping down from 6 to 4 mg yesterday or not having slept for more than 4 hours per day for the last few weeks. The Intuniv reduces the emotional blunting I get from a low dose of Vyvanse, but I haven't felt like it does much if I take more than 30 mg of the stimulant."

Mojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I've been taking 2mg/day for tourette’s syndrome and have noticed a mild/moderate reduction in tics. Nothing huge given that it is a pricier medication, but definitely more tolerable than before. I've had mild side effects at first but they’ve gone away now."

♥︎♥︎ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My son had ADHD and at age 11 started to develop tics that are debilitating. He had minor vocal throat clearing tics and arm flapping etc when younger but Drs ignored saying he would be fine. Well after several rounds of strep he is not fine! This was prescribed to try and help tics, I am not sure if it is working, it might be, tics have lessened but he is very tired and gaining weight rapidly. I hope Drs can figure out a better way to help and treat so many children with all these disorders who seem to be suffering similar problems. He has severe anxiety and now we are trying even more intensive therapies. I have always taken best care, knowing he needed it and did CBT and Neuro testing by 3rd grade. Seems like a helpful medication but I am concerned about these side effects and I cannot get our insurance to cover the name brand extended release so dose fluctuates!"

Lisa007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 8yr old daughter started this medication to help her behavior in school along with her other stimulant medication she takes for ADHD. This medication increased her irritablity, aggression, and changed her happy sweet self. It did not help her it made her symptoms worse. Took her off of it as it didn't improve anything besides making her overly tired and grumpy. Increasing her bad behavior. Stimulant works best, but will try more behavioral therapy along with her current medication that helps, as Intuniv didn't help any behavior issues and being implusive in my daughter."

Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For ADHD: "I've been taking this medication twice a day 1 mg for 9 days , I have never felt more depressed agitated and scatter brained and the worst tired all day severe drowsiness. The is medication has effected my marriage and relationship with my son I'm so lethargic and sad . I'm stopping this medication at this moment I have a gut instinct I'll end up in a psychiatric ward if I don't. I hate this medication"

Lisa6996n February 11, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My child has Aspergers & ADHD Combined. Today is day one for my six year old being on this medication: 1mg extended release. This is the first medication I have ever had him on aside from tylenol or ibuprofen once in a while when he doesn't feel good. He took the medication last night around 7:30pm. He had a bit of a meltdown today, not as long lasting as it has been. He cleaned up everything, then started crying silently at his desk. His teacher said he hasn't done that before. She asked if he needed a break and he said yes. He proceeded to fall asleep in his "safe place" in the classroom (under the teachers desk) from 10:45am to 12:30pm. She tried to get him up several times but he fell back to sleep. Pharmacist said it's normal for about 2 weeks. More to come..."

LEO Wife December 20, 2017

For ADHD: "I've been taking this medication for about 6 months and my doctor increased it to 6mg and now reduced to 5mg. I'm finding this drug has the opposite effect that I'm looking for. It has made me very tired, unmotivated, depressed and cannot concentrate because I'm always tired. I have gain weight, irritable, dizzy and I'm actually more scatter brained. Right now I'm working on weaning off of it and changing to a different ADHD medication."

Guinea December 20, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Used 3-4 mg dose for autism related meltdowns during teen years. Made my son very irritable and agitated. Did not notice sleepiness. Just an overall grumpy, agitated attitude towards everything."

Atoz123 December 10, 2017

For ADHD: "Worsen my son. It gave him insomnia and increased the tics and he gained a lot of weight, so we stopped it."

nono17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

For ADHD: "My son is ADHD. He is 8 yrs old. He started Guanfacine 3 months ago. His Dr started Guanfacine gradually: started with 1/4 1mg pill , increasing a 1/4 every 4 days till reached 2mg pills daily. The 1st month after reaching target dosage was like a miracle! My son was like a dream come true! Unfortunately after 1 month the honeymoon was over & he started acting as if he's not medicated, all the behavior and hyperactivity are back, then his Dr put him on the same dosage but on Guanfacine XR, it was catastrophic, it made his symptoms worse. Now his dr increased the dosage to 3mg today, he's quiet but in a zombie mood! In 3 months he gained 12lbs!"

madamemiro (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I would like to share my experience with Intuniv for those specifically w/ comorbid ADHD/Bipolar. It initally improved working memory (easier to take time to perform tasks such as not jumping ahead while reading), then, as it works on 2A receptors, created a DECREASED DESIRE to perform the tasks. Essentially, it lowers NE. So, lower motivation, which nearly completely negates the easier task performance. THIS IS A COMMON THREAD. Therefore, works better in conjunction w/ stims. It also created depersonalization. Finally, it caused a unique mixed episode w/ grandiosity and irritabilility, but psychomotor retardation and grumpiness. Think increased prefrontal, decreased limbic. Bipolars BEWARE. We are different than strict ADHD cases."

lcerulli (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2017

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My 10 year old son was diagnosed with mild anxiety and depression. He actually took if for Tics, anxiety and depression He started wanting to stay home more and more often, got moody where he had always been an easy-going happy kid. He developed a few vocal tics grunting/throat clearing and snapping, it got to be so bad that he couldn’t relax and sleep because he was tics were with every breath. I didn’t want to start SSRI’s so his doctor suggested this, his tics stopped completely within 2 hours of taking this, he slept soundly that night, its been over a year now, I’ve seen very mild tics when he’s really anxious, but this seemed to clear up the tics, anxiety and depression in one fell swoop! I got my happy boy back, no side effects and have never had to raise the dose."

tborisow (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2017

For ADHD: "I am a 24 year old male with ADHD, high functioning ADD as well as impulse control issues. I've only been on this medication for a few weeks now, but I can feel a strong difference in my ability to make decisions and keep a steady train of focus in everyday tasks. I am noticing however, from these other experiences, that Guanfacine ER is not a medication for young children. I take 1mg every morning when I wake up. Makes me a tad tired for the first hour or so, but after that, if I make my mind up to do something, I stick with it. I don't feel like I have no control over myself anymore. I highly recommend this more to adults 20-30. Seems to be more effective in that age range. But then again, I'm not a doctor. "

TheCaptain907 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

For ADHD: "My grandson was prescribed 1 mg Guanfacine at age 9. He was a skinny, active kid. Almost immediately, he began to gain weight. It was most noticable in his face, stomach, and rear. Within 6 months, he had gained 21 pounds. I didn't notice much of a decrease in activity. Even ,though weight gain was not listed as a side effect, there was no other reason for the rapid increase in his weight. No change in diet etc. When I googled weight gain and Intuniv, I found many other parents complaining of the same thing. At age 10, he developed gynecomastia. That was it for me! I discontinued the medicine, and I would never consider using it again."

frustratedgm October 5, 2017

For ADHD: "Idk what you guys are taking about, guanfacine works really well, I take one 2.5 mg tablet every day and right away shows a big improvement on my heart, I can breathe better, I can relax, and I can enjoy myself. 10/10."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) October 3, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My eight year old started this medication after a failed trial of stimulants. Prior to that he had extensive behavioral therapy. In addition to ADHD he has a tic disorder and sleep onset disorder. The stimulants exacerbated his tic causing muscle strain and pain. This medication has helped with all of the above and takes the edge off of his difficult personality. He will now sit still and read a book. He is still irritable at times, but this has always been a problem for him; I don't feel this medication has made it any worse. Last year his standardized test showed below basic comprehension. The school feels this was due to his lack of impulse control on multiple choice tests more than a lack of knowledge. We've got high hopes for a better school year."

JaneKB September 27, 2017

For ADHD: "I take guanfacine 1mg twice daily. It has three benefits in my case. It lowers blood pressure, reduces anxiety and augments some of the side effects from stimulant medication. Quick story: I took stimulants for years than developed anxiety to the point where I could no longer handle taking stimulants anymore. I discontinued the stimulants, but the anxiety persisted. I began benzodiazapine medication early in my college years. Eventually the benzos stopped working and my anxiety was even worse. I started guanfacine and really began to notice a difference. I stopped taking the benzos easily. My blood pressure and anxiety were under control and I started back on the stimulants again. Lo in behold the stimulant medication was tolerable again."

Dave77452 September 15, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 10 year old son has severe ADHD and Autism. He has been on Intuniv for almost a year starting with 1mg and progessively until 4mg. While it did help a bit with his sleep at night, we have taken him off the medication with no difference in his behavior other than he seems to have fewer and less severe meltdowns. I don't think it did much for him."

mikeyinto (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2017

For ADHD: "Medication was a joke. I've had issues with ADD and my doctors have refrained from prescribing me controlled substances, however Guanfacine (for the treatment of ADHD) felt insulting. A high blood pressure medication certainly isn't suitable for the treatment of what has been a debilitating medical condition for my entire life. Luckily, I'm back on Vyvanse and able to live a healthy, productive life without the influence of illicit drugs and alcohol. Dual disorders require treatment of ALL the underlying conditions, you can't spare one and hope it goes away while you treat the other."

Mike Salazar July 18, 2017

For ADHD: "I started taking Guanfacine 9 days ago for ADHD and felt a remarkable improvement the third day, but afterwards I began feeling more confused with thoughts of death. My age is 61 and I have dealt with ADHD my entire life."

Budreaux June 29, 2017

For ADHD: "Our 6 year old daughter was started on this recently after meeting with peds/ psych. She is adopted -- suffered trauma as an infant. She has reactive attachment disorder (RAD) and ADHD symptoms of severe lack of impulse control. We have 7 children and have never used any of these meds, and honestly I was really resistant to doing it, but the situation just got dire. I will say that nearly instantly there was a change ( 1/2 mg only then up to 1 mg a week later). Suddenly there were virtually NO discipline problems. But a matter of only days later she started having terrible side effects (bed wetting, sore throat, constant tummy ache, and it COMPLETELY changed her personality.) not good. We had to switch to adderal. Great success."

Lenahh June 11, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Great medication. I was originally prescribed this medication in a treatment center to help me sleep and with anxiety when I got off of amphetamines (adderall, other amphetamines). I was taking it at bedtime. I found that it helps more with my focus, and it wears off during the day. I take 3mg once daily. However, I still have some strong ADHD symptoms. Intuiv just helps me... stay less scattered. Oh, and insurance is a rubbish it can be difficult to get this medication even with insurance."

hahaha6 May 3, 2017