User Reviews for Guanfacine systemic

ADHD
5.8

Summary of Guanfacine reviews 5.9 209 reviews

Reviews for Guanfacine

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 11 year old son has ADHD & ASD. After bad experiences with stimulants we tried Straterra. He was on it for 3 years but it was not the best for him. Finally the doctor and we decided to trial him on Intuniv. We weaned him off the Straterra over 6 months as we were also titrating the Intuniv. He is now off the Straterra mad and on Intuniv, 2mg twice a day. (am & pm). It works great. He is a model student and finally calm enough to handle school to his full potential. He is compliant and agreeable... In control, no longer hyper... But the drawback is the weight gain. He already had a weight issue but now it is out of control. Up 10 pounds from August to December. I feel terrible for him."

Mommo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2019

For ADHD: "I love Tenex (Guanfacine). My situation is a little different than other people taking this medication. I have a lot of paranoia and high anxiety due to my Schizoaffective disorder. My psychiatrist actually started me on it to help control my anxiety. Before this I was on Vistaril which worked but made me very sleepy. The Tenex does not make me sleepy, I take 1mg twice a day and it has my anxiety almost completely understand control. And it helps me be more focused too so I can see why they prescribe this for ADHD so much. Been on it for about 4 months and have nothing but good things to say about it."

Corman616 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I give this to my son for anxiety. He is 11 years old and he has been no better. He has been falling asleep in school and not sleeping at night. He is on a 1 mg."

Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2019

For Tourette's Syndrome: "This medication has far fewer side effects than any other med I have taken for my tics. Sadly the med lowered my blood pressure which is already pretty low to begin with and so I was taken off of it. In my experience Tenex lessons tics significantly during mild stages but when my tics were at their worst it was unable to do the job"

Jade (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 6, 2019

Tenex (guanfacine) for : "I was reading these posts as my son has been taking Tenex for 10 years. However I want to post some information re: my nieces too. They have PANDAS which is caused by Strep Throat (Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections ). Many symptoms are similar to Tourette syndrome. The treatment is different. So if your child has had Strep Throat and then high anxiety with or without tics, check out PANDAS information too."

RLeaW71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "This medicine just made my son worse than he was before..more aggressive and antisocial. I'm so afraid to try mew medications. Feeling sad Intuniv was a night mare for us."

Marlinne (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For ADHD: "Asperbergers Syndrome suspected! all though, never diagnosed officially. We never went to a specialist. He had very delayed speech & a lot of things mimicking Asperbergers syndrome from start! Before taking this, Could not pay attention long, High strung, manic, was very impulsive, always fidgeting, moving hands. Noises. etc. Difficulty sitting in chair properly, Arguing with me. Could not remember dailytasks @ school & home..simple things like having him brush teeth or do homework were battles. Since starting this he has been mellow he has had 1 mild outburst compared 3-5 daily manic severe outburst lasting manic before this RX. Happy. Focused. He is prescribed two 1mg tabs daily. 1@7AM&1@NOON of the pink 1MG, HOWEVER, I highly suggest giving your child one 1 MG IN AM, because the dr told me two a day: 1@7am then 1@noon! Needless to say I Recommend, 1 daily if child is around same age. My son is 61 Lbs, too."

8 YO ADHD&ASPERbergers (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2018

For ADHD: "I’ve been taking this drug for I wanna say maybe 3-4 months 1mg I’m a 24 year old male adult. It works pretty well for the ADHD and the Tourette’s, but I think I might also have bipolar disorder (manic depression). The medication decreased my tics and helps with the ADHD pretty well clearing the fog and helping my motivation. But once you have the main issues resolved, since the drug is used to treat ADHD and Tourette’s, the depression sees no competition and just jumps into the lime light. Honestly it is at its worst it has ever been since I’ve always dealt with depression. I do use medical Marijuana to help me self medicate my thoughts and symptoms that come with depression which helps a lot actually. I feel more uplifted along with the medication that helps me keep myself calm and I can control my anger more. Get more work done all while calmly on marijuana up. Don’t smack the idea until you try it. If it doesn’t help then it’s not for everyone."

Bboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I’m (female) rapid cycling bipolar 2 and ADHD and PMDD. My doctor did a genetic test and found that I have a defect in the adrenaline pathway. My dopamine pathway is ok which means Addreal and co wouldn’t work for me. Hence she prescribed me this drug since it works on adrenaline regulation. I’m 37 and 65 kilos. On 1mg I already felt a massive difference and on 2mg I’m even better. Less depression, less anxiety, less irritability, almost no food cravings only real hunger!, less heart racing, less urge to move. I have no dry mouth, no sleepiness, no abdominal pain. Etc. Only negative side effect I feel is a maybe 30 percent decreased libido and it takes me longer to reach orgasm. I strongly believe that this drug works for me so well given I actually need it. I.e. I HAVE that genetic defect. So please everybody have your tests done."

Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I would rate Intuniv an 11 if possible. My son is Autistic & ADHD, began taking Intuniv at age 10. The 1st week he took it was 1st time in his life he slept thru the night for an entire week. He must take in AM, not PM. Now age 18, just returned to brand, as generic was a disaster. Intuniv = miracle."

Kraut (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 26, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I would like to say that my son is 10 years old and is a non to limited verbal level 3 autistic child. We have tried everything and I feel as though this medicine has brought my little boy back. He is no longer experiencing insomnia the way he used to, he's so much happier, he is trying to communicate more he is working well with others he smiles and laughs like used to. I could not be more pleased with what this medicine has done and he has not been on it for even the full week I highly recommend this medication to my fellow autism ADHD mama who never get to sleep and are stretched too thin and have trouble with getting their child to relax and focus. This is not a stimulant medication. This is not an addictive medication this is a godsend and I think whoever made this medication it is definitely the best possible medication for an autistic child and I couldn't rated higher than 10 and if I could it would be in 11"

Bossmama September 15, 2018

For ADHD: "My son has a lot of symptoms that have been tough to categorize. He’s chronically irritable and has a very short fuse. He is also in his own head a lot. We have been cycling through a lot of medications trying to help him. His reaction to guanfacine was one of the worst we have seen. He became even more irritable and depressed on this medication. He also could not keep his eyes open even on the lowest dose. He was so tired. We are now seeing fantastic results with him on an anticonvulsant mood stabilizer."

Mommapeanut (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

For ADHD: "My lilttle one (3yr) was given for ADHD/combined. The jury is still out on the effectiveness. It seems to have helped a little with ADHD but NOTHING for the disruptive behaviors. We’re only 2 months into medication and already increased to 3x a day but I don’t see a shining light yet. Also cause nightmares that didn’t exist before. Taking notes to call MD."

ConcernMom42 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For ADHD: "Quanfacine for ADHD made by Watson that is the little pale pink/orange pill works but seems to be on back order or discontinued. The white oblong ones by Amneal Pharmaceuticals do not work at all. Then the little blue round pill semi works. I have custody of my 5 year old nephew who is a meth baby. He has ADHD to the point he can't eat, sleep, play or anything due to never staying still. The Watson pills worked wonders and helped slow him down to where he was progressing in school and at home. He enjoyed life until they discontinued them. Then he got stuck with the little white oblong pill Amneal Pharmaceuticals. This company should be ashamed of itself for manufacturing basically a sugar pill. I truly hope people who use guanfacine for other reasons besides ADHD do not get harmed by this med being faulty. JR needs constant supervision daily but while taking the white oblong pill he is not only a danger to himself, other humans but animals and property as well."

Jr's mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2018

For ADHD: "I have 11 year old twins super sensory seeking, ADHD, destructive behavior, they’re both diagnosed with aspergers and adhd. We’ve had them on stimulants since they were 4 y/o. They’ve had tics from the stimulants so last year their doctor prescribed this to help with tics. I saw a pretty mild decrease in tics ...they were still taking the stimulants. This summer we just kept giving them guanfacine, 2 mg, and no stimulants. That’s been great! They eat SOOO much more, fall asleep without melatonin. They eat REALLY well, they still play hard, have fun...have been able to go to church and broadway shows without making a scene..and best of all, NO TICS because they’re not on stimulants anymore!! We’ll see what happens when they return to school this fall, hoping to continue this way. One is having trouble waking up in the middle of the night...no problem falling asleep though, he says he wakes up throughout the night though."

Jen July 9, 2018

For ADHD: "I am a 33 year old female. I have had ADD all my life but wasn't diagnosed until my early 20s. I was on regular adderall for several years and steadily increased my dosage (became less and less effective). I tried adderall XR and that didn't work as well only lasting several hours. Became very irritable while on it. Started developing issues athletically and it drastically hindered my performance with fatigue and muscle cramping and headaches. Was on Vyvanse 40mg this year for a few months and it worked great..BUT FOR ONLY LASTED 3 hours. My insurance is terrible and wouldn't allow me to take a stimulant similar to Vyvanse that is longer acting. SO...my doc switched me to a Guanfacine and Amoxetine combination. Starting my second week on these new meds and I AM AN ANGRY MESS RIGHT NOW "

Angry Troll Meds July 6, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Male adult ADHD mostly inattentive (but restless on the inside!), also bipolar type 2. I was on Ritalin for about a year and had a lot of problems with dry and stuffy nose with frequent infections. Atomoxetine had similar effects sleepy, nasal stuffiness, premature ejaculation (only ejaculation was premature). Intuniv actually reversed nasal dryness, my nose never felt better. Intuniv is both stimulating and calming effect, and my mood generally is better. I have more frequent urination at night, often have to get up 5am to go to the bathroom, sometimes it is hard to get back to sleep, but then usually instant release Clonidine helps (clonidine has helped for problems with insomnia). I have NOT had any problems with sexual side effects on intuniv which is great. Perhaps only slight increase in libido but could be due to improvement in mood as well. Appetite is normal , has helped me lose a little weight. Ritalin used to give me increased hunger and sugar cravings."

Rodgert June 19, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I've been taking Intuniv in conjunction with Vyvanse for five months now and managed to work my way up to 6 mg before going back down. It's an odd medication, initially I had experienced constipation, fatigue and sleepiness for the first two months. This was followed by insomnia when I started taking 5 or 6 mg. I've been feeling very anxious lately, I'm not sure if that's due to jumping down from 6 to 4 mg yesterday or not having slept for more than 4 hours per day for the last few weeks. The Intuniv reduces the emotional blunting I get from a low dose of Vyvanse, but I haven't felt like it does much if I take more than 30 mg of the stimulant."

Mojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I've been taking 2mg/day for tourette’s syndrome and have noticed a mild/moderate reduction in tics. Nothing huge given that it is a pricier medication, but definitely more tolerable than before. I've had mild side effects at first but they’ve gone away now."

♥︎♥︎ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My son had ADHD and at age 11 started to develop tics that are debilitating. He had minor vocal throat clearing tics and arm flapping etc when younger but Drs ignored saying he would be fine. Well after several rounds of strep he is not fine! This was prescribed to try and help tics, I am not sure if it is working, it might be, tics have lessened but he is very tired and gaining weight rapidly. I hope Drs can figure out a better way to help and treat so many children with all these disorders who seem to be suffering similar problems. He has severe anxiety and now we are trying even more intensive therapies. I have always taken best care, knowing he needed it and did CBT and Neuro testing by 3rd grade. Seems like a helpful medication but I am concerned about these side effects and I cannot get our insurance to cover the name brand extended release so dose fluctuates!"

Lisa007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 8yr old daughter started this medication to help her behavior in school along with her other stimulant medication she takes for ADHD. This medication increased her irritablity, aggression, and changed her happy sweet self. It did not help her it made her symptoms worse. Took her off of it as it didn't improve anything besides making her overly tired and grumpy. Increasing her bad behavior. Stimulant works best, but will try more behavioral therapy along with her current medication that helps, as Intuniv didn't help any behavior issues and being implusive in my daughter."

Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For ADHD: "I've been taking this medication twice a day 1 mg for 9 days , I have never felt more depressed agitated and scatter brained and the worst tired all day severe drowsiness. The is medication has effected my marriage and relationship with my son I'm so lethargic and sad . I'm stopping this medication at this moment I have a gut instinct I'll end up in a psychiatric ward if I don't. I hate this medication"

Lisa6996n February 11, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My child has Aspergers & ADHD Combined. Today is day one for my six year old being on this medication: 1mg extended release. This is the first medication I have ever had him on aside from tylenol or ibuprofen once in a while when he doesn't feel good. He took the medication last night around 7:30pm. He had a bit of a meltdown today, not as long lasting as it has been. He cleaned up everything, then started crying silently at his desk. His teacher said he hasn't done that before. She asked if he needed a break and he said yes. He proceeded to fall asleep in his "safe place" in the classroom (under the teachers desk) from 10:45am to 12:30pm. She tried to get him up several times but he fell back to sleep. Pharmacist said it's normal for about 2 weeks. More to come..."

LEO Wife December 20, 2017

For ADHD: "I've been taking this medication for about 6 months and my doctor increased it to 6mg and now reduced to 5mg. I'm finding this drug has the opposite effect that I'm looking for. It has made me very tired, unmotivated, depressed and cannot concentrate because I'm always tired. I have gain weight, irritable, dizzy and I'm actually more scatter brained. Right now I'm working on weaning off of it and changing to a different ADHD medication."

Guinea December 20, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Used 3-4 mg dose for autism related meltdowns during teen years. Made my son very irritable and agitated. Did not notice sleepiness. Just an overall grumpy, agitated attitude towards everything."

Atoz123 December 10, 2017