User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure 9 reviews 264 medications

6.8
ADHD 158 reviews 36 medications

5.9
Tourette's Syndrome 4 reviews 7 medications

5.5
Summary of Guanfacine reviews 171 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Guanfacine

For ADHD: "Tenex works great for my daughter in the spectrum. She had some attention issues and over time we were just losing her. I started giving her half a mg in the morning. The meds helped but she started going downhill in the PM. So I decided to give her a quarter of cup of coffee with milk and tenex in the morning. Things are looking much better. She started eating with us now on the same table which she was never able to do before. She has better days at school and she started playing with her sisters. I like it and yes I do recommend it."

Bimi April 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son took generic for about 6 months. His dr actually prescribed it to him to help him sleep. He has ADHD combined type with emotion dysregulation. I actually can't believe it was prescribed to help control ADHD behaviors. My son was taking Vyvanse during the day then Guafacine at night. It made him extremely irritable and tired. I took him off both of the meds. He's hyper but a whole lot less frustrated that's for sure"

Vana B April 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I took it in the morning an had no impact for any of my classes and after I talked to my doctor she said to double the dosage and still saw no difference"

No need (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I am a 52 year old male who was prescribed this drug to treat mild ADD, mild anxiety and mild hypertension. For the first five days it was very effective. Then, a fierce panic attack started. I stopped taking the pill after the first full day of it but the episode lasted five days straight. I have never had one of these in my life before. Shaking, moaning, hot flashes, intense sternum knot, heart pain, racing pulse, overwhelming feeling of fear and hopelessness. A couple lorazepam towards the end helped immensely when my body felt like it was about to burn out. After a day of normalcy, a softer panic set in which then morphed into brief bouts of depression. I realize most people do not have this reaction, but be warned."

Panic Overload (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "The Actavis generic version of this medication was worse than useless, as all of the ADHD hyperactive subtype symptoms my son was experiencing returned within a week of switching to this from the Intuniv ER brand (daily 2mg dose), along with new and potentially dangerous side-effects. His symptoms had been well-controlled for years prior to the insurance company insisting that we try a generic before they would continue to cover the cost of the brand."

RefDave (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "The brand version of Intuniv has been extremely helpful for my son with helping him to moderate his ADHD behaviors. He was diagnosed with the hyperactive subtype, and the problematic behaviors all but disappeared while taking a daily 2mg dose. He has been taking Intuniv for over 4 years now with no observed side-effects."

RefDave (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "We started my 5 yr old on this, the 1 worked for him for a few weeks, then we noted an increase in aggression and hyperactivity. They upped him to 2 mg and now he has not slept in days no more than 4 hours a night and then he wakes and starts kicking the door to his room and screams at the top of his lungs until we get him up, he has trashed his bedroom and said he noticed curtains moving when there are no movement. He is loud and violent and swearing, I called the DR right away after the first night of him saying his curtain rod was moving, so they said take it at night instead, but then waking up for a week at 3 am has been a nightmare. We are so stressed and over whelmed with this behavior he is out of control."

catinacat March 20, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I am on this medicine and it IS HORRIBLE. I am 23 years old and have ADHD. I just got retested for it to make sure that I hadn't grow out of it. I was put on this medicine because I hated taking Concerta and other stimulants. I couldn't eat anything while taking them and they made me really crabby. This medicine made me fall over while walking to my kitchen a few days after I started taking it. I couldn't drive my car because I was scared I would get dizzy and crash. I was only put on 1 MG. Whenever I got out of bed I got so dizzy that my sight would go away and I would see black for the entire walk to my bathroom and keep seeing black until after I washed my hands and went to the bathroom. I have been on for 3 weeks. Stopped taking yesterday."

Magster000 March 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "My son was prescribed this medication for the second time. 2 years ago along with amphetamines while in kindergarten and he became very aggressive to the point he hit me, he had terrible anger outbursts, and a LOT of issues at school. But I was going through a divorce and 2 years later we decided to give it another chance in case it was more behavioral; however, after 2 weeks, I receive an email from his teacher about how his behavior changed dramatically for the worst. Again we stop. This time we know he's in a happy home environment and his behavior is much better so it became obvious it's the medication. Not for my son. He's on vyvanse only now and we'll see how that goes."

B's mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I just got diagnosed with ADHD and my doctor prescribed me this medication. She told me I can take up to 4mg a day, so I started myself off with 1mg. I didn't like it for the first few days because I have 4 kids a husband a full time job and I'm a part time student. I didn't like that this medicine was making me sleepy so I stopped taking it. My friend that takes the same meds and he has been taking it for some years and he told me the trick. He said take 1mg at night when it's your bed time, and it worked.Taking the meds right at bed time helps a lot so I won't be sleepy doing the day and then it only took the meds like 4/5 days to start working. When I say my brain is working like a living scanner.A picture in my head for everything now."

Star bright March 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I'm a single father of a 9 year old boy and I want to warn other parents to stay away from this drug. My son was sleepy, irritable during the day. His teachers could not put up with it and I had to switch him to another school which solved nothing. I have learned that ADHD does not define my child and I expect him to behave and follow his responsibilities because I understand no one else will do this for him. It was tough at the beginning but overtime and taking generic vyvanse helped him gain independent skills. DO NOT switch your child to this drug."

Jamesthewriter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I've been on Intuniv for about 10 months and I am in high school. Intuniv has been working for me. I mean the first few months I was really tired and was falling asleep in band class. But it has been working I am not as tired anymore but I get dizzy whenever I stand up no matter how slow I stand up or drink water. I have been getting really mad lately though. My mom won't let me change my meds any ideas?"

Aironhennen28 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "We started our son on Tenex (Guanfacine, not extended release like intuniv) when he was 5. We started half (.5) in the evening because it did make him sleepy. The first year we stepped up to the 1/2 in the morning, then adding 1/2 in the afternoon. Then we graduated to 1mg in the am, but needed something in the afternoon. By the time he was almost 7 the Dr said we could move to full in am & full in the pm, but I could step him into it by full in the am and 1/2 in evening. He's been on this dosage for almost 2 years now. 1 DR prescribed Intuniv after years of the tenex & he was very irritable & everything was a crisis or breakdown. I called immediately and asked for the not extended release. he was a completely different child on intuniv."

madsmommy March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son has ADHD and is taking intuniv 3 mg, I find with this drug he is so sleepy all he wants to do is sleep, it's supposed to help his concentration but it doesn't, he's too tired. It also makes him angry and he's in a bad mood all the time, I stopped giving it to him for a few days to see if it would make a difference in his mood and it did he was so much happier, I don't know what to do whether to keep him on it or stop it. The doctor is adamant that it's not the drug it's behaviour but I know it is the drug. Anyone else have this problem...."

Louises32 March 6, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I started my son on guanfacine 1mg at night. He was 7. This is after trying a Prozac/ clonodine mix to treat his ADHD, which I hated because all my kid did was sleep. With the guanfacine, which is the generic for intuniv, he is doing great!! The 1mg at night didn't work well though. After all the adjustments I made, I ended up giving him a 1 mg in the morning and a 2 mg at night. This combo works great and my kid does not sleep all day. In fact, he hardly naps-he has made friends in school and is doing great!!"

Lyd516 February 25, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My 3rd grade son was diagnosed with ADHD and Tourettes in first grade. We decided not to do any medication and tried behavioral and holistic therapy. 2nd grade the tics (coughing, grunting, sniffing) were worse. School work was a struggle because he could not concentrate. He spent so much energy trying not to have the tic. Now, the tics are severe. He jumps up each time he coughs, can't sleep at night. depressed saying he doesn't want to live like this. School nurse insisted I take him to the doctor. He was placed on Guafacine 1 mg. Takes it at night. NO more tics, happier, calmer, focused. LIFE CHANGER! The last 2 months have been unbelievable. I only wish I had started meds earlier. I have my kid back!!!"

Mompower! (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I took this medication for a few months in 2015. If you ask me, this medication is placebo. I did not experience any side effects, but no benefit either. 2/10 for not causing any side effects."

R.W. rf (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "My son is 7 he is currently taking 1mg at bedtime he is sleepy all the time doesnt listen, irritable, he is failing nearly all classes cannot sit still he has been on it for nearly 1 month and nothing. He was on a stimulant he did amazing for a while I mean his attitude his self confidence went up we had no trouble until his appetite was suppressed and wouldnt eat at school and would come home sick. So we stopped and started this new medication which isn't helping his focus or self confidence. Only good thing is he is gaining weight and eating much better alot actually he is always hungry so thats a plus hopefully we can find some common ground or we may have to start homeschool"

Bri08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "This is like poison. Made me dizzy hand and feet sweating legs hurt. This was only taking one 1mg pill."

Wider (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Have been on intuniv for about a month now. I feel like I have been crawling out of my skin and emotionally very upset. I feel at times I could break down in tears over a commercial, or when my kids hug me and tell me they love me. I am normally a emotionally reserved man and keep them in check because of my line of work. I really do feel like I am going nuts on this medication. I have officially stopped taking the medication until I can talk with my doctor."

Medic Mike (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "My 7yr old who is autistic, has ADHD and epilepsy has taken guanfacine for about 3 years now. Since 12/6/2016 she has been taking 1mg ER and we just increased to 2mg ER on 1/7/2017. My girl is a new child, can focus more, is learning more, and is getting much better daily reports from school. She is tired by the end of the day but I think it's due to her still adjusting to the dosage. I am extremely happy with our results!"

Kennadiesmom (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "My 4 year old was put on a quarter of a 1MG pill. Take in the mornings. He's been on it for little over a month, at first I kind of saw a little bit of a difference but then things took a dramatic turn! He became very mean, aggressive towards everyone, hitting,biting pushing and crying all the time.:( his emotions all over the board and he him self could tell.. he would say he donesn't feel right. So we took him off it. I'm not sure if this pill just did not mash well with him case of his age but I will never recommend this pill for a toddler with adHD"

Mother amber (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 5 year old son started off on the generic version for 2 weeks before switching to the intuniv. He did OK on the generic tenex (not an extended release), it just made him drowsy. The 1St day on the intuniv (extended release) however, he was busy, could not sit still for nothing & sleep was not on his mind. 2nd day, his Dr. told me to up the dose to 2mg(b/c he had been taking 1mg of the generic 2 weeks prior). My son was worse! He was worse than he was before he started any of the meds. Dr. took him off & put him back on the generic, 1mg, no problems so far besides the drowsiness. Generic, $60 some bucks, intuniv $300. Surprised the cheapest works better!"

Sarah Lee Scott (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son is 14 and has tourettes and adhd. He was put on Intuitiv and it has helped with his focus and his tics. At first he was extremely tired, but after taking it for a bit that part is not as bad. The teacher noticed a big improvement. Luckily there have been no other side effects. We started at 1mg and are now on 3 mg. It is my sons choice whether he wants to be on meds or not. He had chose to go off for a bit in the summer and then once back in school he wasn't doing so great so he chose to go back on it. It really helps with the tics."

Jaydsmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Our son has been on Intuniv for 3 yrs. We started in K when he was diagnosed with ADHD he is very impulsive, not easily compliant, underlying anexity. The behavioral issues in school, we began at 1mg. BIG NOTE HERE, I have read reviews, I'm surprised a Dr. prescribes this Med to a patient at a higher dosage! Always start at 1mg & increase as time goes on, if needed. My son was on 1mg for a yr, we increased to 2mg in October. By that summer, I reduced to 1mg. Having to raise it again one mth into school. We were able to get thru that school year on 2 mg. Now, Year 3 & we increased to 3mg 3 days ago. Anyone have experience with 3mg with their 8 yr old? He is super sleepy as he adjusts and irritable. naps, wakes up, seems happy again."

jmsdoe October 30, 2016