User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure
6.9

Tourette's Syndrome
6.4

ADHD
5.7

Summary of Guanfacine reviews 6.4 187 reviews

Reviews for Guanfacine

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Used 3-4 mg dose for autism related meltdowns during teen years. Made my son very irritable and agitated. Did not notice sleepiness. Just an overall grumpy, agitated attitude towards everything."

Atoz123 December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Worsen my son. It gave him insomnia and increased the tics and he gained a lot of weight, so we stopped it."

nono17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "My son is ADHD. He is 8 yrs old. He started Guanfacine 3 months ago. His Dr started Guanfacine gradually: started with 1/4 1mg pill , increasing a 1/4 every 4 days till reached 2mg pills daily. The 1st month after reaching target dosage was like a miracle! My son was like a dream come true! Unfortunately after 1 month the honeymoon was over & he started acting as if he's not medicated, all the behavior and hyperactivity are back, then his Dr put him on the same dosage but on Guanfacine XR, it was catastrophic, it made his symptoms worse. Now his dr increased the dosage to 3mg today, he's quiet but in a zombie mood! In 3 months he gained 12lbs!"

madamemiro (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I would like to share my experience with Intuniv for those specifically w/ comorbid ADHD/Bipolar. It initally improved working memory (easier to take time to perform tasks such as not jumping ahead while reading), then, as it works on 2A receptors, created a DECREASED DESIRE to perform the tasks. Essentially, it lowers NE. So, lower motivation, which nearly completely negates the easier task performance. THIS IS A COMMON THREAD. Therefore, works better in conjunction w/ stims. It also created depersonalization. Finally, it caused a unique mixed episode w/ grandiosity and irritabilility, but psychomotor retardation and grumpiness. Think increased prefrontal, decreased limbic. Bipolars BEWARE. We are different than strict ADHD cases."

lcerulli (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My 10 year old son was diagnosed with mild anxiety and depression. He actually took if for Tics, anxiety and depression He started wanting to stay home more and more often, got moody where he had always been an easy-going happy kid. He developed a few vocal tics grunting/throat clearing and snapping, it got to be so bad that he couldn’t relax and sleep because he was tics were with every breath. I didn’t want to start SSRI’s so his doctor suggested this, his tics stopped completely within 2 hours of taking this, he slept soundly that night, its been over a year now, I’ve seen very mild tics when he’s really anxious, but this seemed to clear up the tics, anxiety and depression in one fell swoop! I got my happy boy back, no side effects and have never had to raise the dose."

tborisow (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I am a 24 year old male with ADHD, high functioning ADD as well as impulse control issues. I've only been on this medication for a few weeks now, but I can feel a strong difference in my ability to make decisions and keep a steady train of focus in everyday tasks. I am noticing however, from these other experiences, that Guanfacine ER is not a medication for young children. I take 1mg every morning when I wake up. Makes me a tad tired for the first hour or so, but after that, if I make my mind up to do something, I stick with it. I don't feel like I have no control over myself anymore. I highly recommend this more to adults 20-30. Seems to be more effective in that age range. But then again, I'm not a doctor. "

TheCaptain907 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "My grandson was prescribed 1 mg Guanfacine at age 9. He was a skinny, active kid. Almost immediately, he began to gain weight. It was most noticable in his face, stomach, and rear. Within 6 months, he had gained 21 pounds. I didn't notice much of a decrease in activity. Even ,though weight gain was not listed as a side effect, there was no other reason for the rapid increase in his weight. No change in diet etc. When I googled weight gain and Intuniv, I found many other parents complaining of the same thing. At age 10, he developed gynecomastia. That was it for me! I discontinued the medicine, and I would never consider using it again."

frustratedgm October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Idk what you guys are taking about, guanfacine works really well, I take one 2.5 mg tablet every day and right away shows a big improvement on my heart, I can breathe better, I can relax, and I can enjoy myself. 10/10."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My eight year old started this medication after a failed trial of stimulants. Prior to that he had extensive behavioral therapy. In addition to ADHD he has a tic disorder and sleep onset disorder. The stimulants exacerbated his tic causing muscle strain and pain. This medication has helped with all of the above and takes the edge off of his difficult personality. He will now sit still and read a book. He is still irritable at times, but this has always been a problem for him; I don't feel this medication has made it any worse. Last year his standardized test showed below basic comprehension. The school feels this was due to his lack of impulse control on multiple choice tests more than a lack of knowledge. We've got high hopes for a better school year."

JaneKB September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I take guanfacine 1mg twice daily. It has three benefits in my case. It lowers blood pressure, reduces anxiety and augments some of the side effects from stimulant medication. Quick story: I took stimulants for years than developed anxiety to the point where I could no longer handle taking stimulants anymore. I discontinued the stimulants, but the anxiety persisted. I began benzodiazapine medication early in my college years. Eventually the benzos stopped working and my anxiety was even worse. I started guanfacine and really began to notice a difference. I stopped taking the benzos easily. My blood pressure and anxiety were under control and I started back on the stimulants again. Lo in behold the stimulant medication was tolerable again."

Dave77452 September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 10 year old son has severe ADHD and Autism. He has been on Intuniv for almost a year starting with 1mg and progessively until 4mg. While it did help a bit with his sleep at night, we have taken him off the medication with no difference in his behavior other than he seems to have fewer and less severe meltdowns. I don't think it did much for him."

mikeyinto (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Medication was a joke. I've had issues with ADD and my doctors have refrained from prescribing me controlled substances, however Guanfacine (for the treatment of ADHD) felt insulting. A high blood pressure medication certainly isn't suitable for the treatment of what has been a debilitating medical condition for my entire life. Luckily, I'm back on Vyvanse and able to live a healthy, productive life without the influence of illicit drugs and alcohol. Dual disorders require treatment of ALL the underlying conditions, you can't spare one and hope it goes away while you treat the other."

Mike Salazar July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I started taking Guanfacine 9 days ago for ADHD and felt a remarkable improvement the third day, but afterwards I began feeling more confused with thoughts of death. My age is 61 and I have dealt with ADHD my entire life."

Budreaux June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Our 6 year old daughter was started on this recently after meeting with peds/ psych. She is adopted -- suffered trauma as an infant. She has reactive attachment disorder (RAD) and ADHD symptoms of severe lack of impulse control. We have 7 children and have never used any of these meds, and honestly I was really resistant to doing it, but the situation just got dire. I will say that nearly instantly there was a change ( 1/2 mg only then up to 1 mg a week later). Suddenly there were virtually NO discipline problems. But a matter of only days later she started having terrible side effects (bed wetting, sore throat, constant tummy ache, and it COMPLETELY changed her personality.) not good. We had to switch to adderal. Great success."

Lenahh June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Great medication. I was originally prescribed this medication in a treatment center to help me sleep and with anxiety when I got off of amphetamines (adderall, other amphetamines). I was taking it at bedtime. I found that it helps more with my focus, and it wears off during the day. I take 3mg once daily. However, I still have some strong ADHD symptoms. Intuiv just helps me... stay less scattered. Oh, and insurance is a rubbish it can be difficult to get this medication even with insurance."

hahaha6 May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Five days into starting on Intuniv XR (1mg daily at bedtime) for mild hypertension, a massive panic attack occurred. I am a 52 year old male with no prior history of such attacks. I stopped the medication the next day, but it continued at 100% intensity for five days straight. Sweating, shivers, tremors, moaning, racing pulse, hot flashes in face and extremities, tight sternum knot, stabbing pain in left chest. Constant feelings of hopeless, despair and suicide. Luckily by day six it had dropped 50% strength, tapering off quickly at first, then more slowly over the next ten days. Three weeks later I still have palpitations and inner tremor causing insomnia. The doctor refuses to believe it, but I'm convinced the drug caused the attack."

rglennie May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Tenex works great for my daughter in the spectrum. She had some attention issues and over time we were just losing her. I started giving her half a mg in the morning. The meds helped but she started going downhill in the PM. So I decided to give her a quarter of cup of coffee with milk and tenex in the morning. Things are looking much better. She started eating with us now on the same table which she was never able to do before. She has better days at school and she started playing with her sisters. I like it and yes I do recommend it."

Bimi April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son took generic for about 6 months. His dr actually prescribed it to him to help him sleep. He has ADHD combined type with emotion dysregulation. I actually can't believe it was prescribed to help control ADHD behaviors. My son was taking Vyvanse during the day then Guafacine at night. It made him extremely irritable and tired. I took him off both of the meds. He's hyper but a whole lot less frustrated that's for sure"

Vana B April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I took it in the morning an had no impact for any of my classes and after I talked to my doctor she said to double the dosage and still saw no difference"

No need (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I am a 52 year old male who was prescribed this drug to treat mild ADD, mild anxiety and mild hypertension. For the first five days it was very effective. Then, a fierce panic attack started. I stopped taking the pill after the first full day of it but the episode lasted five days straight. I have never had one of these in my life before. Shaking, moaning, hot flashes, intense sternum knot, heart pain, racing pulse, overwhelming feeling of fear and hopelessness. A couple lorazepam towards the end helped immensely when my body felt like it was about to burn out. After a day of normalcy, a softer panic set in which then morphed into brief bouts of depression. I realize most people do not have this reaction, but be warned."

Panic Overload (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "The Actavis generic version of this medication was worse than useless, as all of the ADHD hyperactive subtype symptoms my son was experiencing returned within a week of switching to this from the Intuniv ER brand (daily 2mg dose), along with new and potentially dangerous side-effects. His symptoms had been well-controlled for years prior to the insurance company insisting that we try a generic before they would continue to cover the cost of the brand."

RefDave (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "The brand version of Intuniv has been extremely helpful for my son with helping him to moderate his ADHD behaviors. He was diagnosed with the hyperactive subtype, and the problematic behaviors all but disappeared while taking a daily 2mg dose. He has been taking Intuniv for over 4 years now with no observed side-effects."

RefDave (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "We started my 5 yr old on this, the 1 worked for him for a few weeks, then we noted an increase in aggression and hyperactivity. They upped him to 2 mg and now he has not slept in days no more than 4 hours a night and then he wakes and starts kicking the door to his room and screams at the top of his lungs until we get him up, he has trashed his bedroom and said he noticed curtains moving when there are no movement. He is loud and violent and swearing, I called the DR right away after the first night of him saying his curtain rod was moving, so they said take it at night instead, but then waking up for a week at 3 am has been a nightmare. We are so stressed and over whelmed with this behavior he is out of control."

catinacat March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I am on this medicine and it IS HORRIBLE. I am 23 years old and have ADHD. I just got retested for it to make sure that I hadn't grow out of it. I was put on this medicine because I hated taking Concerta and other stimulants. I couldn't eat anything while taking them and they made me really crabby. This medicine made me fall over while walking to my kitchen a few days after I started taking it. I couldn't drive my car because I was scared I would get dizzy and crash. I was only put on 1 MG. Whenever I got out of bed I got so dizzy that my sight would go away and I would see black for the entire walk to my bathroom and keep seeing black until after I washed my hands and went to the bathroom. I have been on for 3 weeks. Stopped taking yesterday."

Magster000 March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "My son was prescribed this medication for the second time. 2 years ago along with amphetamines while in kindergarten and he became very aggressive to the point he hit me, he had terrible anger outbursts, and a LOT of issues at school. But I was going through a divorce and 2 years later we decided to give it another chance in case it was more behavioral; however, after 2 weeks, I receive an email from his teacher about how his behavior changed dramatically for the worst. Again we stop. This time we know he's in a happy home environment and his behavior is much better so it became obvious it's the medication. Not for my son. He's on vyvanse only now and we'll see how that goes."

B's mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017