User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure 8 reviews 264 medications

7.4
ADHD 140 reviews 36 medications

6.1
Tourette's Syndrome 2 reviews 12 medications

5.5
Summary of Guanfacine reviews 150 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Guanfacine

For ADHD: "My 4 year old was put on a quarter of a 1MG pill. Take in the mornings. He's been on it for little over a month, at first I kind of saw a little bit of a difference but then things took a dramatic turn! He became very mean, aggressive towards everyone, hitting,biting pushing and crying all the time.:( his emotions all over the board and he him self could tell.. he would say he donesn't feel right. So we took him off it. I'm not sure if this pill just did not mash well with him case of his age but I will never recommend this pill for a toddler with adHD"

Mother amber (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 5 year old son started off on the generic version for 2 weeks before switching to the intuniv. He did OK on the generic tenex (not an extended release), it just made him drowsy. The 1St day on the intuniv (extended release) however, he was busy, could not sit still for nothing & sleep was not on his mind. 2nd day, his Dr. told me to up the dose to 2mg(b/c he had been taking 1mg of the generic 2 weeks prior). My son was worse! He was worse than he was before he started any of the meds. Dr. took him off & put him back on the generic, 1mg, no problems so far besides the drowsiness. Generic, $60 some bucks, intuniv $300. Surprised the cheapest works better!"

Sarah Lee Scott (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son is 14 and has tourettes and adhd. He was put on Intuitiv and it has helped with his focus and his tics. At first he was extremely tired, but after taking it for a bit that part is not as bad. The teacher noticed a big improvement. Luckily there have been no other side effects. We started at 1mg and are now on 3 mg. It is my sons choice whether he wants to be on meds or not. He had chose to go off for a bit in the summer and then once back in school he wasn't doing so great so he chose to go back on it. It really helps with the tics."

Jaydsmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Our son has been on Intuniv for 3 yrs. We started in K when he was diagnosed with ADHD he is very impulsive, not easily compliant, underlying anexity. The behavioral issues in school, we began at 1mg. BIG NOTE HERE, I have read reviews, I'm surprised a Dr. prescribes this Med to a patient at a higher dosage! Always start at 1mg & increase as time goes on, if needed. My son was on 1mg for a yr, we increased to 2mg in October. By that summer, I reduced to 1mg. Having to raise it again one mth into school. We were able to get thru that school year on 2 mg. Now, Year 3 & we increased to 3mg 3 days ago. Anyone have experience with 3mg with their 8 yr old? He is super sleepy as he adjusts and irritable. naps, wakes up, seems happy again."

jmsdoe October 30, 2016

For ADHD: "My son was just diagnosed adhd today. He's 5 and in kindergarten, and his problems are enough that his school almost kicked him out! He will be starting his medicine and working up to the 1mg dose after the week. I'm really excited, and hoping to see some lasting changes. If not his dr and I have already discussed uping the dosage, or switching him to stimulates. Hopefully I will be posting again soon. Also if it helps anyone at all, my son is covered under state insurance, and I had to pay no out of pocket expense for his medication."

Teggatoo (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been on this med for over six months. I have unstable blood pressure with occasional surges to between 170 and 210 lasting from hours to a few days. This drug tends to control the surge peaks better than any other med to date. Side effects are similar to other posts. Being sleepy and overwhelming drowsy during the day is an issue. I can handle the dry mouth but the sleepy issue is becoming worse with time on the drug not better. I am a 76 year old male. The drug keeps my pressure between 130 and 160 which may still be high but A-OK by my history. One other side effect seems to be opposite to one post is that I have to go to the BR at least four times each night. I take it between 5 and 6PM."

gl2238 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Ours 8 year old son as done so much better with the Intuniv. He takes 2 mg, at night. I see posts on the cost, check a Canadian pharmacy. We only pay $450 for 90 days, brand. Otherwise, would be $900 here in the states. You fax your prescription and they mail you 3 month supply. No side effects for us."

Molly78 September 29, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Our son was diagnosed with ADD when he was in grade 5-he was started on vyvanse and after a few months and a dose increase developed psychotic episodes. This experience scared the life out of me so we stopped the drug and revisited pharmaceuticals with our pediatrician. She suggested Intuniv and we tried it. Our son has been on the drug now for almost 4 years-he is on the max dose for his age (3 mg) (?) and I honestly can't see if there is a difference. He has had no visible side effects-nothing like I have been reading about above. If anything he has put on weight (it is not a stimulant). We are going to try weaning him off in the next few months to see if there is a difference in schoolwork and to see if the med is really working."

BrendaKM (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2016

For ADHD: "My 6 year old was on tenex and I wanted an easier dosing approach therefore we decided to try Intuniv Er 1mg which was lower than the 2 mg of tenex she was on. She started on a Friday evening and by Saturday afternoon she was vomitting. I initially chalked it up to a stomach virus until days later the pyschiatric advised to immediately discontinue as the vomitting was an adverse reaction. She stopped 3 days ago and is still vomitting at least once daily. We have gradually introduced the tenex back and next week she will be back to her full 2mg tenex dose. I hoped to have good results but the reaction was too bad!!"

Justkesh (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 8 y.o. was prescribed this medication to help with her aggression and hyperactivity. It did not help her, at all. I feel she had actually gotten a little worse while taking it. She had a lot of trouble falling asleep.. she would wide awake at midnight, when 1am some nights. Besides the trouble sleeping issue, she only seemed to experience one other side effect, which was nausea, but only on the first night. I gave it one month and then told her Psychiatrist that it wasn't for her."

KMKs Mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

For ADHD: "Truly a family-saving, life-saving medication. Our son had a near-psychotic reaction to stimulants when he was 10. He had been kicked out of 2 schools for "not listening" behaviors and aggression. Didn't make sports teams because of his reputation of not listening and doing repetitive behaviors during practice. Our marriage was in trouble over handling him. Within a week of starting guanfacine 1 mg at bedtimes he was over the tiredness. We only had to make one upward dose adjustment, and again the tiredness went away after a couple of days. He became the kid we thought he was - insightful, thoughtful, and curious. He is a highly successful HS student now, an excellent athlete, and a leader both on the field and in the classroom."

Brit22 August 16, 2016

For ADHD: "This drug is terrible. I am a 13 year old girl and I was put on Guanfacine to treat ADHD (combined). I started on 1MG and for the first 3 weeks it was great and then all of a sudden, I started to lose energy at 3:00pm. I would miss out on softball practice because I was so tired. To fix this, they decided to put me on 2MG. It worked for a week but then I became really irritable. Then, I would start getting extremely tired in the afternoon and it was worse than before. I have schizophrenia as well, so of course I start having hallucinations."

SharedExperience (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I started intuniv when I was 11 almost 12 and those first 6 months were hell, I would sleep from the time I got home from school so 3 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning and WAS STILL TIRED! I would fall asleep in class or on the bus it was miserable. We told the doctor and she said well just push through it and push through the tiredness, might I add if you were ever on this medicine it is not a tired you can just push through. But I tried to anyways for the next year or so and I would not sleep everyday as much but there were some days where I would sleep the entire days away! It did get better but I would still fall asleep in class and be exhausted constantly!! FINALLY when I was 15 the dr took me off of that and its been so wonderful!!!"

lions563498 July 31, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "my 18 yo adhd plus anxiety daughter takes this med at bedtime- it has changed her life. you do have to start at lowest dose and advance up to therapeutic dose- you do have to stay well hydrated to avoid constipation and low bp. The trade off in loss of almost all of her anxiety behaviors and her eagerness to now seek out activitites and social interaction outside the house is amazing. we could not have achieved this without the close monitoring of her pediatrician. our insurance does cover generic at a very reasonable copay"

lilyt (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2016

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I started with this medicine at age 11, I took it for 6 years on and off always having to up the dosage. The side effects I experienced were dizziness, drowsiness, and lack of energy. It would mellow my ticks (eyes, body, and low vocal noises) down to a tolerable level, but if I continuously took it day to day for months it would seem to stop working as well. Now I don't take anything (21 now) but natural high magnesium doses a few times a week and it mellows me out just as well. Doesn't stop my tics completely but doesn't bother me. I don't recommend for people attending school or working in a quiet environment."

AmraTheHunter (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

For ADHD: "My 10yr old daughter was put on this med a yr ago and it was truly one of the best decision's I have made for her, her school work had improved tremendously she is able to focus and concentrate!!! Only problem we have with it is that she takes it in the early morning and it doesn't kick in till about noon...other than that I would recommend it, she has not had any side effects either...all in all its a huge plus :)"

happymom81 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I had been taking intuniv for a week at 10mg. 32 year old female, for add. Yesterday out of the blue at night I started getting brain zaps. My anxiety got so high I felt my heart was going to explode. I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. It was an utter nightmare and I ended up in the ER. I was afraid I was losing touch with reality. I'm still feeling anxious now too. I am never touching this med again. I just hope it gets out of my system soon. I can't believe they give it to kids. I almost went psychotic! It was a nightmare drug for me. Be careful please. Even at a low dose it can cause a nasty reaction. I'm also bipolar so that might have played a role in it too."

Sarai888333 July 15, 2016

For ADHD: "I started giving my daughter this medication and she started getting more aggressive and having more of an attitude and more violent towards people so I stop giving her the medication. She was taking Adderall with the medication at the time so I don't know if it was a combination of the both together or what"

Poolsharky (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "We began with night wakings then more aggression. He was never aggressive like this before. Raised to 2 mg symptoms increased again. Still hyper and seemed worse than before. Upon reducing back to 1 mg to none it's been a nightmare. Red red cheeks. Bouncing off walls. Bouncing Up till 3 am. Starting to come down a bit but oh my god the havoc on his mind and body and us plus no sleep. Doc said there wouldn't be any withdrawal "

Amays July 12, 2016

For ADHD: "Increased dose from 1mg to 2 mg now urinating in bed every night"

KBbrook July 10, 2016

For ADHD: "Didn't work at all"

steve345 June 10, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My daughter started this, she was tired and first but we moved it to a later time. After two months we moved her up to 2mg as she was still unfocused. Well I haven't slept in weeks, she is up alot at night won't sleep in her room anymore. We switched to taking it in the morning and thought it was a faze, i will be making an appointment to talk to her pediatrician. It was our choice as a nonstimulant and im not going to put her on one. Hopefully there is something else out there that will work as great during the day but not nightmares. We live in Canada and thankfully our insurance pays for it but that's not a reason to stay on it."

Very Tired mom June 6, 2016

For ADHD: "I started taking this drug after trying many stimulants that didn't work. For some reason ADHD stimulants just raise my blood pressure and make me feel crummy. When I first started on Guanfacine 1mg for ADHD it was a life changing drug. Like after taking it for a week you start asking yourself I wonder what my life would have been like had I found this drug sooner. This drug helped me read, focus, and also helped with motivation, anxiety, and impulsiveness. However after about 2 months all of the positive effects of this drug were gone. I switched to Intuniv the extended release version because I read that it worked better. It did not help and all I got was the side effects. I gave this drug an 8 because it was great while it worked"

ADHD Person April 21, 2016

For ADHD: "My daughter has been using Guanfacine 1mg for about 2 weeks. I have seen an improvement. But the doctor divided the pill in half and she takes one half in the morning and the other half about 3pm to help keep it balanced to where she isn't tired. She is having issues going to the restroom. On a positive note she is eating a lot better then she was on previous medications. She is calm but alert. I haven't had a problem with insurance not helping with the cost. Its very affordable as of now."

soccermom16 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

For ADHD: "Good experience, it has worked well for my son for about 2 months now.. For some that say they can no longer afford because of insurance. Some places sell generic for under 10$ a month"

Andrea Mons (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2016