User Reviews for Guanfacine

Also known as: Intuniv, Tenex

Learn more about Guanfacine.

High Blood Pressure 7 reviews 263 medications

7.5
ADHD 127 reviews 36 medications

6.1
Tourette's Syndrome 2 reviews 12 medications

5.5
Summary of Guanfacine reviews 136 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Guanfacine

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I started with this medicine at age 11, I took it for 6 years on and off always having to up the dosage. The side effects I experienced were dizziness, drowsiness, and lack of energy. It would mellow my ticks (eyes, body, and low vocal noises) down to a tolerable level, but if I continuously took it day to day for months it would seem to stop working as well. Now I don't take anything (21 now) but natural high magnesium doses a few times a week and it mellows me out just as well. Doesn't stop my tics completely but doesn't bother me. I don't recommend for people attending school or working in a quiet environment."

AmraTheHunter (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

For ADHD: "My 10yr old daughter was put on this med a yr ago and it was truly one of the best decision's I have made for her, her school work had improved tremendously she is able to focus and concentrate!!! Only problem we have with it is that she takes it in the early morning and it doesn't kick in till about noon...other than that I would recommend it, she has not had any side effects either...all in all its a huge plus :)"

happymom81 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "I had been taking intuniv for a week at 10mg. 32 year old female, for add. Yesterday out of the blue at night I started getting brain zaps. My anxiety got so high I felt my heart was going to explode. I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. It was an utter nightmare and I ended up in the ER. I was afraid I was losing touch with reality. I'm still feeling anxious now too. I am never touching this med again. I just hope it gets out of my system soon. I can't believe they give it to kids. I almost went psychotic! It was a nightmare drug for me. Be careful please. Even at a low dose it can cause a nasty reaction. I'm also bipolar so that might have played a role in it too."

Sarai888333 July 15, 2016

For ADHD: "I started giving my daughter this medication and she started getting more aggressive and having more of an attitude and more violent towards people so I stop giving her the medication. She was taking Adderall with the medication at the time so I don't know if it was a combination of the both together or what"

Poolsharky (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "We began with night wakings then more aggression. He was never aggressive like this before. Raised to 2 mg symptoms increased again. Still hyper and seemed worse than before. Upon reducing back to 1 mg to none it's been a nightmare. Red red cheeks. Bouncing off walls. Bouncing Up till 3 am. Starting to come down a bit but oh my god the havoc on his mind and body and us plus no sleep. Doc said there wouldn't be any withdrawal "

Amays July 12, 2016

For ADHD: "Increased dose from 1mg to 2 mg now urinating in bed every night"

KBbrook July 10, 2016

For ADHD: "Didn't work at all"

steve345 June 10, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My daughter started this, she was tired and first but we moved it to a later time. After two months we moved her up to 2mg as she was still unfocused. Well I haven't slept in weeks, she is up alot at night won't sleep in her room anymore. We switched to taking it in the morning and thought it was a faze, i will be making an appointment to talk to her pediatrician. It was our choice as a nonstimulant and im not going to put her on one. Hopefully there is something else out there that will work as great during the day but not nightmares. We live in Canada and thankfully our insurance pays for it but that's not a reason to stay on it."

Very Tired mom June 6, 2016

For ADHD: "I started taking this drug after trying many stimulants that didn't work. For some reason ADHD stimulants just raise my blood pressure and make me feel crummy. When I first started on Guanfacine 1mg for ADHD it was a life changing drug. Like after taking it for a week you start asking yourself I wonder what my life would have been like had I found this drug sooner. This drug helped me read, focus, and also helped with motivation, anxiety, and impulsiveness. However after about 2 months all of the positive effects of this drug were gone. I switched to Intuniv the extended release version because I read that it worked better. It did not help and all I got was the side effects. I gave this drug an 8 because it was great while it worked"

ADHD Person April 21, 2016

For ADHD: "My daughter has been using Guanfacine 1mg for about 2 weeks. I have seen an improvement. But the doctor divided the pill in half and she takes one half in the morning and the other half about 3pm to help keep it balanced to where she isn't tired. She is having issues going to the restroom. On a positive note she is eating a lot better then she was on previous medications. She is calm but alert. I haven't had a problem with insurance not helping with the cost. Its very affordable as of now."

soccermom16 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

For ADHD: "Good experience, it has worked well for my son for about 2 months now.. For some that say they can no longer afford because of insurance. Some places sell generic for under 10$ a month"

Andrea Mons (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2016

For ADHD: "my son was for a short period of time on tenex for impulsive control at the age of 8 years it kind of worked since it turned him into a zombie he had no energy was starting to nap after school he has not napped since he was a baby. we took him of tenex after a few weeks. for last 3 years after stopping the Meds he is complaining about headaches and has random nose bleeds' think the biggest mistake we made was listen to the Dr. and teachers pushing Meds."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Our 8 year old son started Intuniv the other day having been recently diagnosed with ADHD. His behavior during the day was definitely much less impulsive than ever, and he napped at 5pm (1mg administration at 9am). He awoke complaining of an upset tummy but ate dinner anyway. 2am & 5am vomiting. Poor kid. He doesn't know it's because of his new 'Vitamin'. Does the vomiting go away? Is there a way to preempt the nausea? We gave him plenty of water and healthy snacks when he was hungry...not up for doing this to him if this pattern sustains."

JenADHDmom (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For ADHD: "my grandson just started Guanfacine 1mg tablets this medication for his ADHD and has slept all day, he was taking Strattera but broke out in a bad rash all over his body. we are new to this and some of these responses are good information. thanks to all who share"

redheadinhudson February 20, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "The best medicine for my child. Insurance will no longer pay for it so it costs $374.00 for 30 pills. Sadly, we cannot afford this, so my child is going to have to suffer. Life is going to be very hard. The drug companies and their price gouging need to be investigated."

jane doe doe February 16, 2016

For ADHD: "My 5 year old started in this for hyperactivity related to ADHD. This drug is NOT a narcotic as some mention. There are side effects of making someone tired and drowsy. For my son, those subsided quickly and he became the child I always knew he could be-nearly perfect but still his spunky self. Of course I should have known it would be too good to be true because after 4-6 weeks the positive effects have subsided. He's back to losing everything, fussying about everything and just generally not listening. The doctor says its placebo effect but I don't buy that. His behavior and sleep are back to the way they were pre-medication. It's worth a try for ADHD overall though."

AB mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

For ADHD: "My 6yr old was diagnosed with ADHD and I never wanted to put her on medication until recently the school pretty much made me bc of her disruptive behavior. Her grades have always been good but the adhd got so severe it was causing anger outburst n bed wetting. This was her first day taking 1mg intuniv and my husband and I could see the difference almost instantly! We are definitely amazed so far. I hope this keeps working. I've also seen parents on here talk about it being too expensive, if you look up clinics that are income based a lot of the income based doctors/clinics have a pharmacy at the same location and you can get the medication at the income based price as well we paid only $7.10 for the medicine. Hope this helps!"

sw33tangl88 February 11, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "This has to be taken at least 3 weeks to see if it works/get adjusted to the Body. This has been a Transformation for my Little brother Age 6 still in kindergarden he used to be very moody and seemed to get very hyper all the time. I would recommend this med to anyone suffering from ADHD and other behavioural issues. Side effects seem to be tolerable and gets less by time has had mild headaches and vivid dreams."

mary00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "This medicine was magical! My husband and I were shocked how fast this medicine worked for our son who is 8 now. It literally worked over night we couldn't even believe it. This medicine was life-changing for our family and such a great way. Three years later he is still on it but he's on 3mg now because of his age and weight. The only problem I believe he did get from it was constipation. We have that under control now."

4bricks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2016

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 17 yr old daughter has been on Ritalin XL for three years, after having tried Concerta and Adderral. The doctor switched her to Intuniv and its reeked havoc on her body. She developed constipation so quickly, we thought she had appendicitis--ended up in emergency room! To date she has slept about 18-20 hours per day, has eaten only 1/2 grilled cheese and some blueberries in 24 hours. She's also light headed and dizzy. Last night she thought someone was showering at 4am. From reading these experiences, I believe Intuniv isn't right for her body. We know many kids it's worked for--unfortunately, not ours."

JodyKay11 January 5, 2016

For ADHD: "I'm 22 years old, and I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I didn't originally want to take meds to help manage it because I was unaware that there were non-stimulant options available to treat ADHD. It's helped me focus a little bit more and slowed things down for me, so I can handle situations a little bit better. Aside from the cotton mouth, the worst things are the nausea and the slight sleeplessness. I can't seem to sleep through the night anymore. The nausea is mostly just inconvenient, since I can't seem to eat as much as I was, though I'm always hungry, and drinking alcohol while taking them is hit and miss, since sometimes, I can drink for hours and other times it's 2 drinks and I feel like I'm going to puke."

goshdev (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "This medication had been a life changer. Adding it to the Concerta helped with the emotional sensitivity, fidgeting and focus. No side effects other than a little sleepiness and that wore off after a couple weeks. We recently got the generic and it did not work nearly as well. We had side effects from it, but not the brand name."

MomOf2ADHDers (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My 8 yr son has high functioing Autism & ADHD.This is a blessing for him. He used to run all over the place before we found this. He drives us crazy! Now he's way calmer & doesn't run from me. I can now take him out without him driving me crazy. I'm Bipolar, so u know that it was hard on me. He has been on this for over a year now."

Mommatina (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "Hey, my 6-year old was on this medication for about 7 weeks when he began to hallucinate (2mg). So we had switched to something else which actually made him worse then he was with out any meds. So we put him back on intiniv and started back at 1mg... This was about 2 weeks ago... And he has been doing fantastic!"

Missmomma0915 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

Intuniv (guanfacine) for ADHD: "My son was 6 when diagnosed. Adderall finally came to our rescue. Eventually it did not work long enough, so we give him a wake-up dose of 5mg IR, an 8am XR dose, then a 3pm IR dose to help with aftercare and homework. This has continued to work for 3 years. We tried Intuniv because his ODD and impulsivity was leading to threats of suspending him from school. After 2 days we realized his BP was lower (too low), but he didn't pass out. After 2 weeks, his reacting to people was no longer on the calm side, he was emotional about everything, more impulsive and more defiant, not him at all. We decided to take him off. At least we can say that we tried, but it just did not work for my son, but it may for others."

Mary Chi December 10, 2015