User Reviews for Guanfacine to treat ADHD

Also known as: Intuniv

Guanfacine Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Guanfacine

Hay May 16, 2020

“My son took this medication for about a month and would be so tired! The teacher even mentioned that he would fall asleep in class ( which that never happened before taking) would not recommend this med.”

Kylie May 4, 2020

“I am supposed to give guanfacine to my child twice a day once in the morning and once in the afternoon. When I give him the morning dose he immediately falls asleep and he sleeps the entire day. It would be better off as a sleep aid. I would not recommend this medication.”

MommaOF4 · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

“MY goodness this medication guanfacine was terrible for my daughte, It gave her awful hallucinations and it broke my heart to see her that way. She would wake up out of her sleep screaming "Spiders are on me ", then I thought she just had a bad dream, NOPE, while she was awake, she jumped up and started screaming, and jumping around and pointing at her arms saying 'spiders", my baby was tore to pieces. Then another time, We are all watching a cartoon movie 'Trolls' and she did it again, jumped up crying so bad, saying "Mommy please help me, they are going to get me, I'm scared". She insisted they were really there and didn't understand why we couldn't see them. Knowing that really hurt her feelings and her self esteem. I wouldn't try this on younger kids like my daughter who is 7 yrs old, FOR ADHD. In sensitive kids. It is hard to restore that self esteem they once had. Its a long road ahead of us, but thats my job as a mother to make sure she gets help, so I wish you all good luck...”

Whoareyou · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Intuniv (guanfacine): “43 years old male ADHD and anxiety. I'm also on dexadrine 10mgs twice a day. This medication is definitely not for me. At week 2 I couldn't take my stimulants anymore, had the D/T's, massive anxiety attacks. I tried to ride it out for a month but I just got more anxiety depression and insomnia. I will stop this med and am not looking forward to the rebound hypertension and whatever else nasty happens. Not a good option for me.”

Jarbles · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

“Pdoc thought it might help with insomnia and ADHD. For three nights it completely clogged my sinuses and left my mind feeling like mush. Quit right away”

Ranger · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

“20 year old male with ADHD, here, I started taking Guanfacine (Extended Release) about 4 weeks ago, halfway through I got it upped to 2mg. Unfortunately the medication makes me very tired. I noticed a calmness and clarity that I didn't have before. I really was wanting to avoid stimulants, so my doctor suggested this. The only issue is I will be falling asleep by 5pm now, and if I take the night before to try and curb this I'd be having the same side effect at around 12pm. It really did help me feel not so frayed in my thoughts, I didn't even realize I'd be thinking about multiple things at once in my head and not really focused on anything before taking this medication, and I felt this help in that regard, not entirely but it took the edge off it felt. This is much better than the alternative "Strattera" which my doctor is now trying to get me take, admittedly after doing some research I'm worried to take it because of the serious side affects, insomnia/extreme appetite loss/weight loss.”

SF100 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

“I have Bipolar 2 and ADD inattentive type. Bipolar is well controlled with meds, but social anxiety, mental fuzziness and my ability to recall things I know has stayed the same or gotten worse even though I take Dex. Just over a month ago, I started Guanfacine 2mg at bedtime and 1 mg on arising. Memory and mental sharpness have improved. I now use PRN Xanax rarely instead of daily and finally feel comfortable being myself on social occasions. Dr. Dodson at ADDitude magazine says the drug is a miracle for 1 in 3 patients. I feel lucky.”

special · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 13, 2020

Intuniv (guanfacine): “While intuniv didn't help me focus as well as vyvance or ritalin It still helps a fair amount with staying focused without any of the irritability. It also takes quite a while to start working, overall I'd give it a try; I've been on it for roughly 10 years now.”

TruJB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I have a 9 yr old HF autistic that is mixed with some add and ODD. He use to have huge meltdowns at school to the point he was harming himself and whoever was in the way. He would go hot to cold in seconds we believed it was a mood disorder. They tried to prescribe resperidone at first but I refused because of all the research I did on it.. once the doctor gave me intuniv ALL the meltdowns literally STOP! In May it will be a year he has been on it I give him 2mg every night because when I gave it in the morning he was falling asleep in class. And if he was to miss 1 dose it throws him all off. If he doesn't eat enough on it he does get nauseous with headaches but it's only those random days he doesn't feel like eating anything specially at school so I always try to remind him eating and drinking water is a must! That is my only downfall about it is those random times he does get sick.”

TiredWolf · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I DONT RECOMMEND TAKING THIS DRUG Intuniv 18male 63kg 170cm Was prescribed for my ADHD and anxiety 2mg all the way first 2 weeks only tired but concentration improved. 3rd week was real bad, I got extremely anxious random panic attacks all the time, heart pain ,dark thoughts , started crying every other hour , were exhausted and irritated also lost control of my emotions got angry out of nowhere And worst of it was that I forgot who I were sometimes panicked because I couldn’t remember my parents. Pls don’t take this drug look for something else stimulates or whatever but inutniv can destroy your life or make it much worse.”

Aussie Mum · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son has anxiety and mild ADHD. He had about 3 months on Ritalin and Concerta and after coming off it I know he is far worse than he was before. Intuniv is a better option for him and helps him when struggling to focus at school. He is also on Lexapro for anxiety. He can only take 1mg Intuniv as it makes him tired. I have just started to give him his dose straight after school as I figure it might help him stop feeling so tired in the last period of school as this is a problem for him. We live in Australia so it only costs me $5.50 for 28 tablets. I feel for you all having to pay those ridiculous prices for medicine and hospitalization.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I love Intuniv! It takes time to help with focus but it started helping with my anxiety within the first week of taking it. I take it in the morning since I take clonidine at night to help me sleep. It made me tired at first but that eventually went away. Definitely try Clonidine and Intuniv if you respond poorly to stimulants!”

LG97 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I have been on this medication for about 6 months that I can recall for my Anxiety and ADD . First few times I took it at night but could not fall asleep as the doctor told me it would. Now I normally take it around 1 to 3 pm in the evening and I get very productive. I love this medication for this. I have depression, anxiety and ADD and it helps with the ADD a lot. I even notice at work I become way more focused and awake ready to do work. This medication has also helped me lots in school as I would be quieter in class and listen more. I do see that my emotions are calmed down as well. I would say this is the best medication I have ever had in my life and I believe so. It has truely changed my life for the better. I have also been on many stimulants and my emotions were all over on those. This is an amazing medication. I take 1 mg as well.”

Nesretep · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2019

“Thought I would leave a review to help others that suffer from both ADHD (inattentive) and anxiety. This medicine guanfacine has truly changed me for the better. If you suffer from both conditions this may help you. My focus improved greatly. I became calmer and less agitated. Thoughts are more clear and precise. Anxiety-wise it was a massive improvement. I suffer from agoraphobia, social phobia, panic disorder and this medicine allows me to handle these issues more rationally/logically instead of just sedating me like benzodiazepines. For people whom flush easily this medicine helps greatly too. I take the immediate release version, 0.5mg 3 x day every 5 hours.”

Miko · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“My teenage daughter started twitching after starting school again this year. They had to send her home. She would also roll around on the floor at home when she'd go to her room. Very bizarre behavior and I was very frustrated because I didn't know what was going on. Her Neurologist prescribed this and the twitching went away immediately. She has ADHD and I feel like her twitching was just a problem with impulse control because it didn't look like normal tics or Tourette syndrome that I've seen in others. I had to take her off of ADHD stimulants because she was having bad reactions to them. I'm happy that she is able to take a non-stimulant and is able to at least get through a school day. No drowsiness or negative side affects at the moment.”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “So far so good. My 14 year old just started this drug. He’s ADD and has had major set backs in life because of it. Stimulants helped however this drug has made him able to verbalise thoughts, think clearly, remember (most noticeable), engage with friends and make friends, be much more organised, plan things, be attentive in a calmer way, recognise when he needs the bathroom, communicate feeling and sensation in his body, the list goes on. Wish we’d known about this drug (and dr) 7-8 years ago.”

mrsomeone August 26, 2019

“27 years old and just recently got ADHD diagnosis. Improvements listed in order where each subsequent improvement may have a dependency to previous ones. Objective improvements (no way I imagine this): - SLEEP (!!!!) - Almost no "Sympathetic rush" (this is something that happens to me based on bothersome thoughts, irritations, or getting startled -- it's like hyperarousal from PTSD but based on emotions and not memories) - Significant improvement in anxiety - Significant improvement in social anxiety - Significant improvement in cardiovascular health - Significant improvement in social avoidance - Significant improvement in confidence - Dark circles around my eyes reduced by 50% - Less easily to be woken up from sleep - Noticeable PVC and PAC arrhythmia wholly disappeared - Can now tolerate stimulants Subjective: - My emotions are more contextual / based on where I'm in life NOW and not from where my thoughts are. - My mental ability is much "clearer".”

ParentToAdHD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2019

“We struggled with ADHD & SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder ) since our son was around 3 yrs old (was not diagnosed until age 6-7). We used a supplement called RelaxMax which worked well for the 1st year (2nd grade). When that stopped working we started on Guanfacine 1mg (age 9). Lots of issues at first - very tired, upset stomach. But the change at school was near immediate. That was good for 2-3 weeks & seemed to fade. So we upped to 2 mg & had the same thing happen. Upped to 3 mg & was still having tiredness around 3-4pm, so Dr. advised to switch to dosing at night. Now everything is normal & we've been on the 3 mg for a few months now & the change in his behaviors has been life altering. We are thankful to have found something that works that was a non-stimulant. Our advice - keep talking to your Dr and trying different things with it because everyone is different. Don't give up if the 1st try doesn't work because it's so worth it when you figure out the right dose combined with other factors.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “Well I was taking ritalin just by itself which has helped immensely, but I needed something to make it last longer as i would get mild comedowns between doses and need to take another dose before the 3 hour mark, roughly about 2 hours & 40 mins I would feel the comedown, so I've started intuniv with it. 1mg has been amazing making it stretch out longer without having to also deal with comedown & faster heart etc. Now that I've started on 2mg I notice I get really slow and tired, also sometimes a faster heart rate but oxygen levels are still good. I think 2mg for me is to much, I might stick to 1mg. Overall I think it's great but yeah for me 2mg makes me feel like rubbish.”

bm · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

“I didn’t notice a change until the school year was started once again, but even at that point I barely felt change. After switching to 2 milligrams, I felt a little bit more prone to focusing and listening to directions, but my side affects just worsened.”

Jer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I'm an 18 year old male, I've been taking ADHD medications since I was 7 years old. The big problem I had with them is anxiety. I was taking 80mg Vyvanse previously and was able to drop it to 60mg with 1mg Intuniv. This worked great and helped solve some of my anxiety. Since, my workload has increased dramatically so I had to once more increase my doses slightly. It's my first day on 70mg of Vyvanse and 2mg Intuniv. Honestly this medication is very good. As a little bonus I find it really helps control and notice one's own impulsive behaviors. Over all very good. I'll keep posted on how the 2mg on intuniv works. (I'm 155lbs) 5'10 Started Intuniv 5 months ago ”

Mar · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 9, 2019

“My daughter was on Guanfacine since July 2018. In those 11 months, her irritability and aggression multiplied 10 fold. Long story short, it was not helping her ADHD and so her doctor kept increasing dose (she was up to 3 mg). I expressed my concerns, so her Dr put her on Zoloft. I finally found a new Dr., who doesn't agree with Zoloft, we weaned that off. She was just taking Guanfacine again, still very aggressive. I decreased to 2 mg, after not being able to take the irritability anymore (Dr was planning on starting to wean anyway. In the 5 days since I decreased milligrams, I've seen immediate decrease in irritability. She's finally becoming my daughter again. I've only given 4 because other families I know who are on it, like it”

jsa · Taken for 10 years or more May 27, 2019

“To Jrs mom, you are dead on about Amneal guanfacine, avoid the diamond shapes and try mylan brand (currently on backorder but resuming end of 2019). I actually dislike watson for my loved one but I understand that they may be good for JR. There have been really bad episodes whenever we used anything other than mylan guanfacine. If you are stuck, as I am now, you might run to clonidine for a little while.”

Consumed777 May 21, 2019

“Was on Guanfacine for ADHD and had trouble breathing, massive headache, dizzy, confusion, and more depressed.”

Lime · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I’ve been experiencing side effects that make my day to day life very difficult. I’m dizzy, I feel like my vision is blacking out when I walk, I’m extremely lethargic and find myself sleeping all the time, I’ve been having stomach problems, a high heart beat (and I thought Intuniv was supposed to subdue you), an extremely dry mouth, and sooo much anxiety. I haven’t even noticed any positive changes in my ability to focus, since I’m constantly disoriented or asleep.”