User Reviews for Guanfacine to treat ADHD

Also known as: Intuniv

Guanfacine has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 225 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 46% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Guanfacine Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Guanfacine

LG97 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I have been on this medication for about 6 months that I can recall for my Anxiety and ADD . First few times I took it at night but could not fall asleep as the doctor told me it would. Now I normally take it around 1 to 3 pm in the evening and I get very productive. I love this medication for this. I have depression, anxiety and ADD and it helps with the ADD a lot. I even notice at work I become way more focused and awake ready to do work. This medication has also helped me lots in school as I would be quieter in class and listen more. I do see that my emotions are calmed down as well. I would say this is the best medication I have ever had in my life and I believe so. It has truely changed my life for the better. I have also been on many stimulants and my emotions were all over on those. This is an amazing medication. I take 1 mg as well.”

TruJB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I have a 9 yr old HF autistic that is mixed with some add and ODD. He use to have huge meltdowns at school to the point he was harming himself and whoever was in the way. He would go hot to cold in seconds we believed it was a mood disorder. They tried to prescribe resperidone at first but I refused because of all the research I did on it.. once the doctor gave me intuniv ALL the meltdowns literally STOP! In May it will be a year he has been on it I give him 2mg every night because when I gave it in the morning he was falling asleep in class. And if he was to miss 1 dose it throws him all off. If he doesn't eat enough on it he does get nauseous with headaches but it's only those random days he doesn't feel like eating anything specially at school so I always try to remind him eating and drinking water is a must! That is my only downfall about it is those random times he does get sick.”

Rsdaddledadhd · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

Intuniv (guanfacine): “This drug has made me feel whole and complete for the first time in my life. I'm so grateful. It fixed massive problems with RSD and social anxiety and even TMJ. I have been weeping because I am feeling normal for the first time in my life. I am a 31 year old female and take this along side of Vyvanse 2x a day at 1mg doses.”

Oregonmom · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADHD and we tried Adderall and other medicines and the results were nil and side effects awful. We then tried Intuniv at 1mg and results were amazing. My hyper impulsive little guy was doing well in school and his temper was subdued. We added group ADHD therapy for him at a local clinic with other boys his age which also helped hugely. My suggestion to parents is please do not just rely on a medicine. Find a good counselor that will help you and your child by giving you tools to use in every day life, like learning to patiently wait, be a gracious loser, etc. As far as the Intuniv goes.. My son will be 9 in a few months and we are still only on 1mg. Don't rush to 2mgs without giving 1mg a chance.”

Carmella1010 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2013

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I am 39 and have dealt with my ADD for all my life. May of 2012 the Dr. started me out on 1mg, after a week, I could tell a difference. Like a filing cabinet in my brain. However, I was VERY tired. So I decided to take at night. (I've always had a hard time shutting my brain off to sleep) Next week she upped me 2 mg. After a few days, I started to notice I focus more...GREAT!!, and I was sleeping better!! She then put me on 3 mg. I couldn't tolerate it! I started getting hot flashes and thought I was going to pass out! I couldn't sit out in the sun, I had to stay in. So she lowered me back to 2mg. A year later and its the best decision I have ever made. My brain is calm, I am focused and sleep like a bear!”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “So far so good. My 14 year old just started this drug. He’s ADD and has had major set backs in life because of it. Stimulants helped however this drug has made him able to verbalise thoughts, think clearly, remember (most noticeable), engage with friends and make friends, be much more organised, plan things, be attentive in a calmer way, recognise when he needs the bathroom, communicate feeling and sensation in his body, the list goes on. Wish we’d known about this drug (and dr) 7-8 years ago.”

Rowdyitalian · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I must say I have been through a lot of medicines. Wasted money but most of all watching my kid struggle with his high anxiety and his inability to focus or sit down. He now focus better in school and his teacher describes him as on task now and takes time to ask her questions if needed. I had a lot of nights crying thinking I was a bad mother! I would lose control and not be able to handle his constant stubbornness and defiance he is a beautiful energetic boy with an amazing personality but just needed to be taken down a few notches. This has done the trick. I started off on 1 mg and did not seem to do to much and after three months decided to move to 2. I tried all natural nothing worked. Good luck.”

JenniferH June 25, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My 8 year old son was extremely hyperactive and had anger issues. Even though he was on Adderall. He was constantly biting his brother and sister, arguing with his dad and I, kicking, throwing tantrums and acting like a baby when he didn't get his way. After we added Intuniv to his daily dose of Adderall, he is a completely different child. It has been wonderful. There has been less yelling and arguing, less fighting, he actually gets along and plays with his brother and sister and us. I love this medicine! I only wish we found it sooner. Thank you for giving us our son back!”

Louises32 March 6, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son has ADHD and is taking intuniv 3 mg, I find with this drug he is so sleepy all he wants to do is sleep, it's supposed to help his concentration but it doesn't, he's too tired. It also makes him angry and he's in a bad mood all the time, I stopped giving it to him for a few days to see if it would make a difference in his mood and it did he was so much happier, I don't know what to do whether to keep him on it or stop it. The doctor is adamant that it's not the drug it's behaviour but I know it is the drug. Anyone else have this problem....”

Mom at the end of her ropes. · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2013

Intuniv (guanfacine): “This is a great medicine. I have known that my daughter now 7, has always been extremely energetic and talkative her entire life, but her impulsivity, inability to concentrate on work (or play), and energy were really interfering with her school and home life. I was so stressed out every day. The behavioral problems were never ending. I mean this child was ALWAYS in trouble, poor girl! She is now like the little girl that I always knew was hiding away in there, but would only rarely come out, she has all of the same positive personality traits plus more. I feel like I can finally connect with her, like her brain just clicked and she is now living in the same reality as everyone around her instead of lost in her mind. It does make her sleepy.”

Jer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I'm an 18 year old male, I've been taking ADHD medications since I was 7 years old. The big problem I had with them is anxiety. I was taking 80mg Vyvanse previously and was able to drop it to 60mg with 1mg Intuniv. This worked great and helped solve some of my anxiety. Since, my workload has increased dramatically so I had to once more increase my doses slightly. It's my first day on 70mg of Vyvanse and 2mg Intuniv. Honestly this medication is very good. As a little bonus I find it really helps control and notice one's own impulsive behaviors. Over all very good. I'll keep posted on how the 2mg on intuniv works. (I'm 155lbs) 5'10 Started Intuniv 5 months ago ”

amg2003 January 19, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son has been taking intuniv for 3 years now and has shown major improvements. The prior medications were causing my son to have tics and violent outbursts. This medication helps him more with concentration and focus but when that is under control i notice the hyper activity is more tolerable. My sons grades improved drastically and i no longer receive phone calls from his school and teachers (this was a weekly if not daily occurence).”

Anne · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I’m (female) rapid cycling bipolar 2 and ADHD and PMDD. My doctor did a genetic test and found that I have a defect in the adrenaline pathway. My dopamine pathway is ok which means Addreal and co wouldn’t work for me. Hence she prescribed me this drug since it works on adrenaline regulation. I’m 37 and 65 kilos. On 1mg I already felt a massive difference and on 2mg I’m even better. Less depression, less anxiety, less irritability, almost no food cravings only real hunger!, less heart racing, less urge to move. I have no dry mouth, no sleepiness, no abdominal pain. Etc. Only negative side effect I feel is a maybe 30 percent decreased libido and it takes me longer to reach orgasm. I strongly believe that this drug works for me so well given I actually need it. I.e. I HAVE that genetic defect. So please everybody have your tests done.”

Kristi Murphree February 10, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD recently, this is the first medication he has taken. We started at 1mg working or way up to 3mg, and it's taken in the evening around 5pm. Once at 3mg, my son was extremely sleepy. Even falling asleep in class and in the bus ride home. He was emotional about everything. Even looking for toys, he would cry. He also experienced terrible tummy aches. He became very irritable, I'm guessing because he was sleepy. I had his Dr lower the dosage to 2mg and he is becoming that little guy I know again! He's still kind of sleepy but not as bad and his teacher is noticing a big improvement in his focus at school. We are still working out the kinks but I am hopeful! Best of luck to you all!”

ecbrad · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2013

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My 11 year old son has ADHD with anxiety disorder. This medication has helped him manage his anxiety (he is much happier) and he is able to focus better on managing everything from time to his emotions. He has better stamina mentally and can perform mental tasks for longer periods of time. He is also acting more mature and being more responsible. He takes 2mg at night 1 hour before bed along with gummy melatonin to help him sleep. He sleeps well and feels good during the day. Overall this medication has helped him a great deal. It's like it took him out of his anxious rut and gives him a better outlook.”

Bossmama September 15, 2018

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I would like to say that my son is 10 years old and is a non to limited verbal level 3 autistic child. We have tried everything and I feel as though this medicine has brought my little boy back. He is no longer experiencing insomnia the way he used to, he's so much happier, he is trying to communicate more he is working well with others he smiles and laughs like used to. I could not be more pleased with what this medicine has done and he has not been on it for even the full week I highly recommend this medication to my fellow autism ADHD mama who never get to sleep and are stretched too thin and have trouble with getting their child to relax and focus. This is not a stimulant medication. This is not an addictive medication this is a godsend and I think whoever made this medication it is definitely the best possible medication for an autistic child and I couldn't rated higher than 10 and if I could it would be in 11”

hthompson87 · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2013

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son is almost six years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He was evaluated due to the fact that he was always in trouble in school, home and getting kicked off of the bus. He also seemed to struggle with focusing on us when we talked. His doctor had us try Intuniv... we started at 1mg every morning. The positive change was very noticeable. He was calmer, had a less aggressive attitude, and even used his indoor voice. It did make him sleepier but that only lasted for the first two days. He is on his third day of 2mg and is doing well. For the past few weeks he hasn't been getting into trouble at school and his bus driver said he is doing amazing. He also seems to be focusing better.”

annabelley · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2014

Intuniv (guanfacine): “I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and ADHD. Stimulant control of ADHD was out of the question because it would exasperate Bipolar 2. My doc started me tentatively on Intuniv and told me I may be groggy at first but over time it could help me feel more calm and focused. She was right. The first day I took it right before bed and woke up feeling lethargic. But every day since got progressively better. I was more calm, experienced less anxiety and mood swings, was able to focus and handle stresses more easily, and because I wasn't so anxious or emotional I wasn't overeating. My weight leveled out, I was sleeping through the night and quit getting insomnia, I was able to sit still through classes without fidgeting and really concentrate.”

RefDave · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 20, 2017

Intuniv (guanfacine): “The brand version of Intuniv has been extremely helpful for my son with helping him to moderate his ADHD behaviors. He was diagnosed with the hyperactive subtype, and the problematic behaviors all but disappeared while taking a daily 2mg dose. He has been taking Intuniv for over 4 years now with no observed side-effects.”

mrsomeone August 26, 2019

“27 years old and just recently got ADHD diagnosis. Improvements listed in order where each subsequent improvement may have a dependency to previous ones. Objective improvements (no way I imagine this): - SLEEP (!!!!) - Almost no "Sympathetic rush" (this is something that happens to me based on bothersome thoughts, irritations, or getting startled -- it's like hyperarousal from PTSD but based on emotions and not memories) - Significant improvement in anxiety - Significant improvement in social anxiety - Significant improvement in cardiovascular health - Significant improvement in social avoidance - Significant improvement in confidence - Dark circles around my eyes reduced by 50% - Less easily to be woken up from sleep - Noticeable PVC and PAC arrhythmia wholly disappeared - Can now tolerate stimulants Subjective: - My emotions are more contextual / based on where I'm in life NOW and not from where my thoughts are. - My mental ability is much "clearer".”

abby-rose · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

“3 full days on 1 mg of Guanfacine for adult ADHD and I am very happy with the results. I cannot take stimulants as they make my heart race, make my anxiety worse and cause a host of other side effects. I do not feel sleepy, sluggish or hungover on this medicine. I take it at bedtime and wake up rested, ready for the day. No crash at the end of the day either. I am 38 year old female with mainly inattentive ADHD. Diagnosed as an adult. Leaving this review because I didn’t see a ton of positive reviews for adults taking this medicine for ADHD. It provides me with enough calm focus to make my life way easier than no medicine. Only noted side effect is dry mouth. Definitely not a big deal. I recommend trying this.”

Mommo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2019

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My 11 year old son has ADHD & ASD. After bad experiences with stimulants we tried Straterra. He was on it for 3 years but it was not the best for him. Finally the doctor and we decided to trial him on Intuniv. We weaned him off the Straterra over 6 months as we were also titrating the Intuniv. He is now off the Straterra mad and on Intuniv, 2mg twice a day. (am & pm). It works great. He is a model student and finally calm enough to handle school to his full potential. He is compliant and agreeable... In control, no longer hyper... But the drawback is the weight gain. He already had a weight issue but now it is out of control. Up 10 pounds from August to December. I feel terrible for him.”

AFeazell September 6, 2013

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and like most parents I refused to believe that anything was "wrong" with my son. After research I decided against medication because of the TERRIBLE reviews and side effects... until I heard about Intuniv. It has been one of the BEST decisions that I have ever made. He still has his happy little personality and still a rambunctious little boy but he is able to sit in class without bouncing off the walls and his grades have really improved. Like previous reviews he was very tired and had headaches in the beginning but like the Dr promised that quickly faded. He is 8 now and will remind me if I forget to give it to him because he says that it makes him feel better, and he sleeps like a log.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

“Guanfacine is incredible. I have the kind of ADHD in which a million different things are going on in my mind at once, and Guanfacine really calms my brain down so it can focus on one thing at a time with ease. Your mileage may vary but I would certainly recommend asking your doctor about this. It’s been just a month and I already feel like the condition is cured.”

Anonymous April 27, 2010

Intuniv (guanfacine): “My son is halfway through his fourth week of Intuniv. We became concerned when he began this last week, when he started taking the highest dose he will be on. For two days, he could hardly get out of bed, was very cranky, and slept for nearly 8 hours on a drive home from school vacation (very unusual for him.) I called his doctor on Monday morning and she said to stick it out a few days. See how he did at school, and with getting up in the morning. The last two days have been problem free. He is MUCH more agreeable than ever. He is less emotional (a good thing), less cranky. He is remembering all the things he should. Overall his behavior is better. We have tried many different medications and so far this is the most effective.”