User Reviews for Simponi

Learn more about Simponi.

Simponi Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 370 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Simponi to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I have had RA since 1987 and tried pretty much every drug and biologic out there. After a few weeks on Simponi (2011) I swore that I was completely cured of my RA. Unfortunately the manufacturer does not give financial assistance to people on Medicare so I had to get off the best drug that ever worked and have been deteriorating ever since. Shame on Johnson & Johnson for not having compassion on patients who can't afford their drug. BIG DRUG COMPANIES!!!"

treeod (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my first infusion today. No ill effects with the exception of exhaustion...additional that is as I already am sleeping 16 hours per day. Not sure how a person is supposed to make a living with this advanced RA. I am hoping that Simponi will resolve that in the near future Will let you know when things start to work and I can return to the land of the living."

gregoryj (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Simponi had been the first biologic that has worked for my very active JRA (diagnosed 48 years ago) I tried every biological available, Simponi was the first medication to work within hours for my severe symptoms at the time, with no side effects. I have been using Simponi for 8 months. I pray it continues working."

Karlh23 March 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was ready to retire from teaching from the pain and tiredness from difficulty walking from RA. Simponi gave me my life back. Reduced immune system from RA meds given as reason for Legionnaires disease but benefits far out way any negatives. At 7.00 am about to go on extended world trip."

Lynnseed (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yeaterday got my 4th injection in 4 months at home by a nurse! I think it's working very well so far.....I have taken many other types of medicines over 7 years with big side effects for RA. I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 15 years and took some meds for that. Because of side effects I began a very stringent diet, (specific carbohydrate diet). I eventually got better and all UC symptoms stopped. Years later went off the diet and was soon reduced to suffering immensely with undiagnosed RA symptoms. I believe my diet contributes to my symptoms. I know food chemicals can cause inflammation and I know UC is cousin to RA. I come from generations of alcoholics and am recovering for 27 years. Sugar is a deadly & strong addiction. Today I was lethargic "

Qwanderer February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 65 with RA and have been on 8 different biologics. Now on simphone doing well. Methotrexate gave me interstitial fibrosis, another drug a dvt. They all come with a price physically and financially but quality of life verses quantity....I choose quality. It's good to read others experiences it helps ..."

dianna c.. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine for my RA for several years. I have now received 2 infusions of Simponi with my third one the end of 11/16. The only improvement I saw was after the first infusion which helped with my stiffness. I am still suffering with the pain and returning of stiffness. Also, my feet are really bad now. Does Simponi just not work for some people?"

Kdm20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on Humira for 11 years, which stopped working. Enbrel, horrible reaction. Started Simponi in April. It took about 2 months to kick in, but now working great! Sleeping better than ever, have only had 2 days of minor pain. Only thing that is still challenging is the fatigue. Very happy with results and love the once a month injection."

Piglet68 August 17, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After my wife was taking Simponi for about a year under the direction of her arthritis doctor, she came down with a rare neurological condition called CIDP (chronic inflamatory dimylating polyneurothapy) where she became almost totally paralized . I think that the drug Simponi is very dangerous to take and she still can't walk after 2 years after stopping the drug. She has to take infusions of IVIG gamma globulin every third week to rebuild her nerves after the erosion of the myelin of the nerves took place. This is a very serious side effect that no one has addressed. I am sure that others have had this side effect hit them from taking Simponi. We have spent over $200,000 in medical expenses toward my wife's recovery and will take at lease 1 to 2 more years for her to recover."

Caregiver J July 7, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started Simponi in February and so far nothing has changed, still pain, swelling and disease getting worse. I hope you never have a problem with an injection because the people at Jensen who are there to help are clueless."

Occams Zebra April 15, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a male age 28 with RA. I was diagnosed with RA at age 23. I suffer pain primarily in my toes. For a newly married athlete at age 23, the pain from RA and the thought of living the rest of my life crippled with pain - took a huge toll on me. I felt ashamed as a man and as a husband/potential father. Fortunately, I have had great Docs work hard to help me get well. I have been on plaquenil, sulfazalazine, methotrexate, enbrel, cimzia, and simponi. Each med had some positive results but some had harsh negative side effects too. Like many of us- I want to be on as little medicine as possible - but still manage my pain. Simponi has solved my riddle. I am so pleased to be pain free and on only 1 med now - Simponi. Thank you!"

Andygrass (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Simponi on November last year. I started noticing a rash on my face but I never relate it to the use of the med. Two weeks ago my dermatologist told me I have this weird reaction called mucinosis , which when not treated properly can lead to a lymphoma. I was feeling awesome with simponi so far cause the pain of my RA was gone but now I just don't want to use it anymore."

Martinica28 August 8, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Simponi since five years ago. The medicine has been a miracle. I did notice the effect only after one or two weeks. After five years I have started to have increased pain and I think the effect of the medicine is loosing. However, Simponi has changed my life completely. From hard attacked by Bekterew, I have now been running and cycling (100 km) competition for many years."

Frode J (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2014

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking Simponi in November of 2013. I got full use of one hand back and about 80% on the other in 4 days. I was diagnosed in 2002 and disabled by 2003. I've used Humira, Enbrel, and Remicade all with some success but I continued to get worse. The infusion wears off around 5 to 6 weeks. This last infusion of Simponi was my best yet. My next infusion is tomorrow 6/23/14. Really need it too."

still kickin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2014

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My rheumatoid arthritis developed about three years ago and was very severe .. very debilitating. Walked at tortoise-pace, couldn't do anything around the house. I've now been on Simponi golimumab prefilled syringes for almost that long, in conjunction with weekly injections of methotrexate and 4 tablets of Pyralin and one Plaquenil daily and really feel back to my old (now nearly 70) self. Can walk, chop wood, even play nine holes of golf again. "

Anthony jhc May 1, 2014

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was also hit hard with rheumatoid arthritis in 2011. Tried prednisone, followed by methotrexate pills, Arava and others, nothing helped. In 2012 I was put on Humira which helped a lot for a few months, but not enough. Since January 2013 I use Simponi along with 0.8 ml methotrexate injections, and it has given me back my quality of life. After 1 1/2 years I could bend my pinky finger again, wow! For me the change was subtle, but very effective. I tried alternative meds etc. after being diagnosed and didn't want to take this route, but honestly I cannot live without it. For me it works, it's a miracle."

RA user November 20, 2013

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was hit hard with rheumatoid arthritis in March 2012 and practically disabled by May. I couldn't tolerate methotrexate or Enbrel due to reactions. I started Simponi in October with 20mg Arava. It has given me my life back! I literally don't hurt at all most days! After nine months, I did develop a bad case of Palmer Planter Psoriasis as a side effect. Yet, I still want Simponi! That's how much it's improved my quality if life. The pens are easy to use and don't hurt compared to Enbrel. I've had no other reactions besides a shaky feeling on first month only."

LisaInUSA October 9, 2013

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Simponi Injections for over a year now. It works better than Humira. I also take Methotrexate which has my hair coming out. I was taking 4pills every week, now I'm taking 3 pills every week. I'm 39 years old and my hair is coming out even when I just have it braided. I love the Simponi. I know when it's time to take it again though."

SLD08 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2013

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on Simponi for 6 months. Works great, and within 1-2 days. Was on methotrexate for many months and it did nothing. Then tried Humira for 1 month which worked well. Rheumatologist then switched me to Simponi. Monthly injection is much better than every two weeks (Humira). Unfortunately my insurance, Health Spring, refuses to cover it. Dr. has been giving me free samples of Simponi. "

edmohring (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2013

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Second injection today, after first injection felt results in two weeks. I am very happy."

Anonymous September 28, 2012

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 3 weeks into my second dose of Simponi. Was on Enbrel for 4 1/2 yrs. with good results then it stopped working. the numerous side effects following my first dose came close to keeping me from trying a second month. this month i have had diarrhea for 3 weeks but that's an improvement over last month. joint pain, stiffness are better; but no effect on fatigue so far. It takes 6-8 weeks to know for sure how it will work. It is not possible to see results in hours or days. I have decided to try one more month since my next step is infusion mediciness."

Anonymous April 9, 2011

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Simponi felt like it was working the first 2 months. But my flare ups are still monthly and today after 6 months, my doctor said I am getting worse, and is taking me off Simponi. I am 53, have rheumatoid arthritis since 2007."

Anonymous December 10, 2010

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Simponi since 11/09. Took a couple of months to kick-in, and seems to wear off about the 3 1/2 weeks. Best results I have ever had. Did not use with Methotrexate due to had neuropathy symptoms when I take Methotrexate. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 18 years and I am 55 years old, been on every RA medicine, Simponi is the best for me."

jdrebe August 24, 2010

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Simponi in April and have now had four injections. It worked the first night, my shoulder pain was gone and I have slept without pain since. I have had no reactions whatsoever. The drug has lasted the full month every time. In the month previous to my first injection I took 150 Tylenol 3's for the pain. In the 3 months since I have averaged 30 per month. My shoulders, wrists, hands, and knees are almost pain free with very little stiffness. I still can't work but at least I have my life back, thanks to Simponi. Methotrexate was too hard on my kidneys but I still take 20mg Arava every other day and Plaquenil and Diclofenac daily. I also take Ramipril for the raised blood pressure the drugs have caused."

Brian in BC July 28, 2010

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Simponi 4 days ago after a very severe flare-up. I am 54 years old and have had rheumatoid arthritis for 29 years. I was pretty much incapacitated with the pain. Two days ago I was able to resume my normal household chores and feel so much better! I really hope the effectiveness continues."

tootie121055 July 13, 2010