User Reviews for Simponi to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

Simponi has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis. 65% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Simponi Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Simponi

AussieCowboy · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 3, 2020

“I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which was diagnosed 4 years ago due to a very bad case of Uveitis. I was given three TNF blockers without success. I was offered Simponi and this one worked, the pain went away after a few days and I was very happy about that as AS is very painful and it explains why I had a sore back for most of my life. I am now 58yo. I did not get any side effects but it did raise the blood pressure which I already have hypertension so it's made that worse and I can not get my BP under control. It did not stop the Uveitis from reoccurring but overall it has worked well.”

Mr Lucas · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2013

“I have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis now for the last five years. I'm now 40 years old and it started to hit me quite hard after the age of 18 and started treatment on Humira at 35 first. Slack medical advice and thinking that I was fully cured, I stopped my treatment within 3 months my AS came back very strong as I was now working out 5 days a week in the gym. In Autstralia if you don't keep blood checks and things within certain times they strike you from the assistance hence my specialist has now put me on Simponi and all I can say is WOW. This stuff works and works well. I did notice very small signs of AS in the 4 weeks, which disappeared on the next injection. I found I had been given a new chance to live a normal life.”

Nathan · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 8, 2020

“Been on Simponi for 8 years. Has been amazing turned my life around. It can get sore within a week of injection but not sure if that can be helped. Tried Enbrel and Humira previously but they only worked for 6 months for me.”

Noto · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2014

“I have had severe and debilitating whole back/shoulder/neck pain since I was 17 - I'm now 27 and have always been very active. I was given Vimovo, which did not help all that much; and although Ibuprofen did help more (though not entirely), it was more dangerous for long-term use. I had a false positive for the TB skin test - if this happens to you, ask for the TB Quanteferon test - it was $90 out of pocket, but came back with a 100% negative test result and I was able to take my first injection within that week - it's sad because I had the false positive in Oct 2013 and had to wait until mid-Feb 2014 to start on Simponi. Simponi itself is wonderful. Within hours, I felt no pain at all and had no side-effects. I can put on socks again!”

drewblue April 7, 2014

“I have been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for quite a number of years. In the past 3 years it has become very severe, and has made me feel very ill, thus inhibiting my quality of life. I haven't been able to hold down a long term job because of this arthritis. I took Humira initially which didn't work at all. I then tried Simponi, with quite good results. Morning stiffness and pain throughout the day had been significantly decreased. However it seemed to wear off after around 10 days or so. I bared the usual pain for a week or so, before I injected myself again 3 weeks later, instead of four. Hopefully my specialist will allow me to take it every 2 weeks instead of the usual 4 week injections.”

Craig Gunn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2014

“Having suffered with Ankylosing Spondylitis for 10 years and with vast peaks and troughs in pain and the awful Methotrexate for 4 years with loads of side effects, I can honestly report Simponi has simply transformed my life. It's reduced swelling so well on my once sore toes I have excess skin, I'm running and active, I don't get any morning stiffness and NO SIDE EFFECTS thus far, it has cleared up my Psoriasis as well which sometimes returns towards the end of a month as you'd expect. The delivery method is far superior to methotrexate.”

Rastas · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 24, 2019

“I have had a hard time with drugs for my ankylosing spondylitits (A/S) and I thought Simponi was going to be the miracle one . The problem is that it doesn't last the full term they say it does. I have 5 weeks of feeling pretty darn good and 3 weeks of suffering. The infusion is supposed to last 8 weeks.”

Fuzzybear · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 12, 2019

“Simponi is my 4th TNF blocker that I have tried. Upside- I have no pain anymore and I am grateful for that. I have not experienced any side effects and have been on it for 7 months now. I guess I will continue to use it until there is a reason not too. Downside- it killed my sex drive and has made my testicles shrink and I now produce very little sperm, my stomach has bloated since starting Simponi also.”

Patrick John · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2016

“Well, I would like to say Simponi has been very effective for me. From my first shot to the sixth the shot I just received this month the Simponi removed my symptons of AS to the point where I feel normal. Before being diagnosed and receiving Simponi I was in pain constantly and taking meds that were basically for gout which what I was being treated for before my diagnosis for AS. One month the doc tried Remicade but it was ineffective for me. The Simponi has given me back normality at least in the sense of physical well-being. It has been wonderful for me and my family as they don't have to worry about helping me when I have symptoms of swelling and pain. In fact I noticed that When i get scratches my wounds even heal faster. Thanks,”

Phil · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

“Took only 2 injections! After the second became very ill had a 104 temp and then ended up in the hospital with a spinal infection! I then was transported to a specialty hospital 2 hours away via ambulance, due to increasing swelling of the spinal cyst I developed full of infection and they feared I may need intubation, but cervical spine is fused so I needed to be at a different hospital! I spent a total of 14 days in hospital 10 of which in ICU , then 14 weeks at home with a picc line and heavy duty antibiotics! All due to simponi!!!!!!! This almost bankrupt our family,I almost lost my LIFE and job! ”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2019

“Faced severe neurological and ophthalmological side effects after first injection of Simponi Reduced/blurred vision, constant dizziness, unsteadiness, balance issues, cognitive problems, tremors etc. It’s been two weeks after injection.. still facing all these side effects.”

mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2018

“I'm suffering light to moderate AS for 8 years and pain comes with activity. I used only once, seems like its good for 3 months for me. I was suffering light cough and shortness of breath due to cold when I did the shot. Pain gone in couple days, life quality increased noticeably but cough and shortness of breath continued heavily for 2 months. Make sure you have no cold symptoms before you make the shot.”

tngstubbs · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2013

“I have narcolepsy and ankylosing spondylitis, I also suspect that I have Psoriasis on my scalp, but haven't had it diagnosed officially yet. Simponi relieves some of the pain and discomfort from the AS and I usually have no lesions on my scalp while I am using the injection regularly. I also take 5 tabs of methotrexate weekly (along with all the side medication that goes along with these). I recently came down with a bad cold and was taken off these medicines temporarily. Immediately upon missing my injection my symptoms were back. The lesions started to appear on my scalp and are pretty bad. I would say that my quality of life has significantly improved since starting the Simponi about a year and a half ago. I take one injections per month.”

Johan W · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 27, 2013

“Simponi helps me so much. I take 2 shots per month. I Washington diagnosed about 7 or 8 years after mycket first signs of illness. Ive had it very hard. I get oxycontin when i have it too hard. But all in all, simponi is The best. I got a new life with it. Works as a chef, and without simponi i would not. I live in sweden, so i only pay about $300 a year. Or else i would have to pay ALOT. like $4000 per month. The negatives with this med, you cancer get alot of crap from it. But the pain i had before was crazy. Thank you my sweet Dr.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2019

“I've been diagnosed with AS since 2010, but symptoms started since 2008. Started Simponi last month & was on my 2nd shot last week. 1st shot had been great but after the 2nd shot, I am experiencing constant dizziness.”

tc31wizard · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 24, 2016

“I'm a 48 year old female that started showing symptoms at age 17, diagnosed at 19 with the HLA-B27 marker. Total hip replacement at 29, chronic chest pain due to fusing. I have tried a butt load of meds over the years, most oral due to lack of insurance (Which thankfully, I now have) which cost me renal failure stage 2 including Methotrexate. I have a Medtronic pain pump and am on Oxycodone currently too. I have tried Enbrel, Humira and now Simponi. Simponi works very well for me WHEN I can get the smart injections to work. ”

Anonymous June 18, 2011

“Was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2000 and ankylosing spondylitis in 2003. I have been put on different medications for both. I have been on Simponi for about 6 months and have not noticed any improvement. It is easy to use but that is about all.”

HiiQ December 11, 2016

“Had 1st shot of Simponi and didn't notice any change. I was also taking 2 pills of methotrexate. Doc upped methotrexate to 6 pills. I had been getting muscle spasms intermittently since starting Simponi. After 3rd shot, I got the muscle spasms the next day and they lasted for a week. Doc took me off Simponi due to the muscle spasms and also because I didn't notice any change in AS. ”

DanS · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2020

“I was skeptical about trying Simponi at first. But i'm glad my rheumatologist encouraged me. It works awesome! Made me realize what "normal" is again. I take 50mg every 3 weeks.”

Changy January 16, 2010

“Works good and helps mobility. you can feel it working in 2-3 days. Also the injection process is quick and pain free. Thanks for the second chance at a bearable life.”

Thb March 21, 2013

“Simponi has helped my symptoms tremendously. I did not have to take methotrexate along with this. I am very happy to be almost pain free. But I do notice maybe psoriasis beginning on my scalp.”

Mahesh December 29, 2020

“I had 3 injection of Simponi but so far no sign of any improvement. I am not sure whether I will take the 4th injection. The review of Simponi is good but unfortunately, it has not worked for me.”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2019

“Got severe neurological and optho side effects after 1st injection. Blurred/reduced vision, Dizziness, Unsteadiness, Cognitive problems etc.,”

Learn more about Ankylosing Spondylitis