User Reviews for Golimumab to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

Also known as: Simponi, Simponi Aria

Golimumab has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 27 ratings for the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Golimumab Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Golimumab

Mr Lucas · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2013

Simponi (golimumab): “I have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis now for the last five years. I'm now 40 years old and it started to hit me quite hard after the age of 18 and started treatment on Humira at 35 first. Slack medical advice and thinking that I was fully cured, I stopped my treatment within 3 months my AS came back very strong as I was now working out 5 days a week in the gym. In Autstralia if you don't keep blood checks and things within certain times they strike you from the assistance hence my specialist has now put me on Simponi and all I can say is WOW. This stuff works and works well. I did notice very small signs of AS in the 4 weeks, which disappeared on the next injection. I found I had been given a new chance to live a normal life.”

AussieCowboy · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 3, 2020

Simponi (golimumab): “I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which was diagnosed 4 years ago due to a very bad case of Uveitis. I was given three TNF blockers without success. I was offered Simponi and this one worked, the pain went away after a few days and I was very happy about that as AS is very painful and it explains why I had a sore back for most of my life. I am now 58yo. I did not get any side effects but it did raise the blood pressure which I already have hypertension so it's made that worse and I can not get my BP under control. It did not stop the Uveitis from reoccurring but overall it has worked well.”

Mrs. OT November 1, 2018

Simponi Aria (golimumab): “A recent dx of RA and AS has been debilitating, my Dr. said I should have been on meds 10 years ago due to the progression of these diseases. I started methotrexate 5 months ago with zero success. My first infusion with Simponi was 3 weeks ago and I feel so much better, I am praying that it continues to help!”

Noto · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2014

Simponi (golimumab): “I have had severe and debilitating whole back/shoulder/neck pain since I was 17 - I'm now 27 and have always been very active. I was given Vimovo, which did not help all that much; and although Ibuprofen did help more (though not entirely), it was more dangerous for long-term use. I had a false positive for the TB skin test - if this happens to you, ask for the TB Quanteferon test - it was $90 out of pocket, but came back with a 100% negative test result and I was able to take my first injection within that week - it's sad because I had the false positive in Oct 2013 and had to wait until mid-Feb 2014 to start on Simponi. Simponi itself is wonderful. Within hours, I felt no pain at all and had no side-effects. I can put on socks again!”

drewblue April 7, 2014

Simponi (golimumab): “I have been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for quite a number of years. In the past 3 years it has become very severe, and has made me feel very ill, thus inhibiting my quality of life. I haven't been able to hold down a long term job because of this arthritis. I took Humira initially which didn't work at all. I then tried Simponi, with quite good results. Morning stiffness and pain throughout the day had been significantly decreased. However it seemed to wear off after around 10 days or so. I bared the usual pain for a week or so, before I injected myself again 3 weeks later, instead of four. Hopefully my specialist will allow me to take it every 2 weeks instead of the usual 4 week injections.”

Nathan · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 8, 2020

Simponi (golimumab): “Been on Simponi for 8 years. Has been amazing turned my life around. It can get sore within a week of injection but not sure if that can be helped. Tried Enbrel and Humira previously but they only worked for 6 months for me.”

Daughtrofthekng · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 5, 2020

Simponi Aria (golimumab): “I have been taking Simponi Aria for my ankylosing spondylitits AS. So far it has worked great. It’s definitely the best one I have been on. The only reactions I have had was in the beginning. I have asthma and that was triggered the first two treatments song with a racing heart. I do feel depressed on day 7 which is really weird but that has been a side effect for me with all biologics.”

Craig Gunn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2014

Simponi (golimumab): “Having suffered with Ankylosing Spondylitis for 10 years and with vast peaks and troughs in pain and the awful Methotrexate for 4 years with loads of side effects, I can honestly report Simponi has simply transformed my life. It's reduced swelling so well on my once sore toes I have excess skin, I'm running and active, I don't get any morning stiffness and NO SIDE EFFECTS thus far, it has cleared up my Psoriasis as well which sometimes returns towards the end of a month as you'd expect. The delivery method is far superior to methotrexate.”

Rastas · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 24, 2019

Simponi (golimumab): “I have had a hard time with drugs for my ankylosing spondylitits (A/S) and I thought Simponi was going to be the miracle one . The problem is that it doesn't last the full term they say it does. I have 5 weeks of feeling pretty darn good and 3 weeks of suffering. The infusion is supposed to last 8 weeks.”

Fuzzybear · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 12, 2019

Simponi (golimumab): “Simponi is my 4th TNF blocker that I have tried. Upside- I have no pain anymore and I am grateful for that. I have not experienced any side effects and have been on it for 7 months now. I guess I will continue to use it until there is a reason not too. Downside- it killed my sex drive and has made my testicles shrink and I now produce very little sperm, my stomach has bloated since starting Simponi also.”

Patrick John · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2016

Simponi (golimumab): “Well, I would like to say Simponi has been very effective for me. From my first shot to the sixth the shot I just received this month the Simponi removed my symptons of AS to the point where I feel normal. Before being diagnosed and receiving Simponi I was in pain constantly and taking meds that were basically for gout which what I was being treated for before my diagnosis for AS. One month the doc tried Remicade but it was ineffective for me. The Simponi has given me back normality at least in the sense of physical well-being. It has been wonderful for me and my family as they don't have to worry about helping me when I have symptoms of swelling and pain. In fact I noticed that When i get scratches my wounds even heal faster. Thanks,”

Phil · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

Simponi (golimumab): “Took only 2 injections! After the second became very ill had a 104 temp and then ended up in the hospital with a spinal infection! I then was transported to a specialty hospital 2 hours away via ambulance, due to increasing swelling of the spinal cyst I developed full of infection and they feared I may need intubation, but cervical spine is fused so I needed to be at a different hospital! I spent a total of 14 days in hospital 10 of which in ICU , then 14 weeks at home with a picc line and heavy duty antibiotics! All due to simponi!!!!!!! This almost bankrupt our family,I almost lost my LIFE and job! ”

mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2018

Simponi (golimumab): “I'm suffering light to moderate AS for 8 years and pain comes with activity. I used only once, seems like its good for 3 months for me. I was suffering light cough and shortness of breath due to cold when I did the shot. Pain gone in couple days, life quality increased noticeably but cough and shortness of breath continued heavily for 2 months. Make sure you have no cold symptoms before you make the shot.”

tngstubbs · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2013

Simponi (golimumab): “I have narcolepsy and ankylosing spondylitis, I also suspect that I have Psoriasis on my scalp, but haven't had it diagnosed officially yet. Simponi relieves some of the pain and discomfort from the AS and I usually have no lesions on my scalp while I am using the injection regularly. I also take 5 tabs of methotrexate weekly (along with all the side medication that goes along with these). I recently came down with a bad cold and was taken off these medicines temporarily. Immediately upon missing my injection my symptoms were back. The lesions started to appear on my scalp and are pretty bad. I would say that my quality of life has significantly improved since starting the Simponi about a year and a half ago. I take one injections per month.”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2019

Simponi (golimumab): “Faced severe neurological and ophthalmological side effects after first injection of Simponi Reduced/blurred vision, constant dizziness, unsteadiness, balance issues, cognitive problems, tremors etc. It’s been two weeks after injection.. still facing all these side effects.”

Johan W · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 27, 2013

Simponi (golimumab): “Simponi helps me so much. I take 2 shots per month. I Washington diagnosed about 7 or 8 years after mycket first signs of illness. Ive had it very hard. I get oxycontin when i have it too hard. But all in all, simponi is The best. I got a new life with it. Works as a chef, and without simponi i would not. I live in sweden, so i only pay about $300 a year. Or else i would have to pay ALOT. like $4000 per month. The negatives with this med, you cancer get alot of crap from it. But the pain i had before was crazy. Thank you my sweet Dr.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2019

Simponi (golimumab): “I've been diagnosed with AS since 2010, but symptoms started since 2008. Started Simponi last month & was on my 2nd shot last week. 1st shot had been great but after the 2nd shot, I am experiencing constant dizziness.”

tc31wizard · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 24, 2016

Simponi (golimumab): “I'm a 48 year old female that started showing symptoms at age 17, diagnosed at 19 with the HLA-B27 marker. Total hip replacement at 29, chronic chest pain due to fusing. I have tried a butt load of meds over the years, most oral due to lack of insurance (Which thankfully, I now have) which cost me renal failure stage 2 including Methotrexate. I have a Medtronic pain pump and am on Oxycodone currently too. I have tried Enbrel, Humira and now Simponi. Simponi works very well for me WHEN I can get the smart injections to work. ”

Anonymous June 18, 2011

Simponi (golimumab): “Was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2000 and ankylosing spondylitis in 2003. I have been put on different medications for both. I have been on Simponi for about 6 months and have not noticed any improvement. It is easy to use but that is about all.”

HiiQ December 11, 2016

Simponi (golimumab): “Had 1st shot of Simponi and didn't notice any change. I was also taking 2 pills of methotrexate. Doc upped methotrexate to 6 pills. I had been getting muscle spasms intermittently since starting Simponi. After 3rd shot, I got the muscle spasms the next day and they lasted for a week. Doc took me off Simponi due to the muscle spasms and also because I didn't notice any change in AS. ”

Amanda gove October 7, 2016

“I was diagnosed three years ago with Ankylosing spondylitis, I first started with enbrel which I had some success with and the dr ordered me to stop the injectors due to a delayed skin reaction, be decided to go with the remicade infusion which ended up landing me in the hospital 24 hours after infusion due to delayed hypersensitivity reaction involving swelling of my throat, lips, eye lids and hives, after a brief hospital stay I had to take several weeks of steroids and benedryl to bypass the infusion until it was out of my system, I refused treatment for a year until last Thursday I received my first infsuion of simponi , I've had very minimal side effects nausea , dizziness, BUT I am already feeling the difference!! This drug is amazing”

Trishy April 13, 2021

“I am 30, have suffered AS for 6 years, diagnosed 6 months ago. In Australia this medication under the PBS costs $41/mth. At first the meds healed Psoriasis lesions I'd had for 10 yrs but they are coming back. Started on 4 weekly, just been moved to 3 weekly injections. I was needing a top up at the beginning of week 4. My inflammation markers were up to pre Simponi levels. The meds work well to prevent pain in the nights. I am so stiff by day & have a terrible pain in my left hip. When I am on my menstrual cycle my AS comes back for the first few days which is unbearable, reliving what this medicine generally delivers me from. For the 1st 3 months the medication did give me lightheadedness, all day, & balance issues at night. However that has subsided finally. Overall this medication has given me some quality of life back, but I can definitely feel my body seizing, the only relief is at night stopping the constant waking provided it isn't 'that time of the month.'”

DanS · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2020

Simponi (golimumab): “I was skeptical about trying Simponi at first. But i'm glad my rheumatologist encouraged me. It works awesome! Made me realize what "normal" is again. I take 50mg every 3 weeks.”

Changy January 16, 2010

Simponi (golimumab): “Works good and helps mobility. you can feel it working in 2-3 days. Also the injection process is quick and pain free. Thanks for the second chance at a bearable life.”

Thb March 21, 2013

Simponi (golimumab): “Simponi has helped my symptoms tremendously. I did not have to take methotrexate along with this. I am very happy to be almost pain free. But I do notice maybe psoriasis beginning on my scalp.”

Learn more about Ankylosing Spondylitis