User Reviews for Golimumab

Also known as: Simponi, Simponi Aria

Golimumab has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 110 ratings on Drugs.com. 53% of those users who reviewed Golimumab reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Spondyloarthritis
Summary of Golimumab reviews 6.2 110 reviews

Reviews for Golimumab

Jims54 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 9, 2021

Simponi Aria (golimumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “Started infusions of Simponi Aria about two years ago when Medicare wouldn’t cover Enbrel, which worked for me for 20 years. At first the infusions seemed to work. Then, about 6 months ago I came down with pneumonia, followed immediately by shingles, both caused by lowered immune system. A month ago I came down with pneumonia again, also caused by lowered immune system. I believe this drug is dangerous, and would rather deal with the pain than risk my life.”

Lulu · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 27, 2021

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Does not to work as well as other medication”

Trishy April 13, 2021

For Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I am 30, have suffered AS for 6 years, diagnosed 6 months ago. In Australia this medication under the PBS costs $41/mth. At first the meds healed Psoriasis lesions I'd had for 10 yrs but they are coming back. Started on 4 weekly, just been moved to 3 weekly injections. I was needing a top up at the beginning of week 4. My inflammation markers were up to pre Simponi levels. The meds work well to prevent pain in the nights. I am so stiff by day & have a terrible pain in my left hip. When I am on my menstrual cycle my AS comes back for the first few days which is unbearable, reliving what this medicine generally delivers me from. For the 1st 3 months the medication did give me lightheadedness, all day, & balance issues at night. However that has subsided finally. Overall this medication has given me some quality of life back, but I can definitely feel my body seizing, the only relief is at night stopping the constant waking provided it isn't 'that time of the month.'”

George · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2018

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My wife was administered simponi infusions Prior to the infusions she was a healthy active lady. She suffered from RA which was addressed with methatraxe and predozon.. The she was switched to Simponi. She started exhibited all the side effects of this drug. She detetiorated very fast. Today she's laying in an ICU fighting for her life. Doctors claim the major contributor to her ailing health was the Simponi. It's effects etc are irreversible. So. If you intend to go on this drug. Please research it and be very carefully monitored. It creeps on you and could kill you. It has turned my wife from a healthy active working woman to a physically and mentally incapacitated. Even if she pulls through this ICU nightmare. We have years of recovery. If any. It is a shame these kind of drugs are allowed. Even if it effects/kills/handicaps on person it should be removed from the shelf”

Caregiver J July 7, 2016

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “After my wife was taking Simponi for about a year under the direction of her arthritis doctor, she came down with a rare neurological condition called CIDP (chronic inflamatory dimylating polyneurothapy) where she became almost totally paralized . I think that the drug Simponi is very dangerous to take and she still can't walk after 2 years after stopping the drug. She has to take infusions of IVIG gamma globulin every third week to rebuild her nerves after the erosion of the myelin of the nerves took place. This is a very serious side effect that no one has addressed. I am sure that others have had this side effect hit them from taking Simponi. We have spent over $200,000 in medical expenses toward my wife's recovery and will take at lease 1 to 2 more years for her to recover.”

Andygrass · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 17, 2016

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am a male age 28 with RA. I was diagnosed with RA at age 23. I suffer pain primarily in my toes. For a newly married athlete at age 23, the pain from RA and the thought of living the rest of my life crippled with pain - took a huge toll on me. I felt ashamed as a man and as a husband/potential father. Fortunately, I have had great Docs work hard to help me get well. I have been on plaquenil, sulfazalazine, methotrexate, enbrel, cimzia, and simponi. Each med had some positive results but some had harsh negative side effects too. Like many of us- I want to be on as little medicine as possible - but still manage my pain. Simponi has solved my riddle. I am so pleased to be pain free and on only 1 med now - Simponi. Thank you!”

Rosie bell July 30, 2017

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started Simponi Approx 1 year ago. I was first on methotrexate for about a year but developed a really bad cough and scarring on lungs. I then was put on Remicade which took away every pain I had but on third infusion, I had an allergic reaction so I had to be taken off. Now I am on Simponi and by the third infusion, I have had no pain at all and no side effects. I am on Medicare which pays for 80% and my UHC which pays the 20%...so I feel really lucky.”

Piglet68 August 17, 2016

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Was on Humira for 11 years, which stopped working. Enbrel, horrible reaction. Started Simponi in April. It took about 2 months to kick in, but now working great! Sleeping better than ever, have only had 2 days of minor pain. Only thing that is still challenging is the fatigue. Very happy with results and love the once a month injection.”

jdrebe August 24, 2010

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Simponi since 11/09. Took a couple of months to kick-in, and seems to wear off about the 3 1/2 weeks. Best results I have ever had. Did not use with Methotrexate due to had neuropathy symptoms when I take Methotrexate. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 18 years and I am 55 years old, been on every RA medicine, Simponi is the best for me.”

Karlh23 March 11, 2017

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Simponi had been the first biologic that has worked for my very active JRA (diagnosed 48 years ago) I tried every biological available, Simponi was the first medication to work within hours for my severe symptoms at the time, with no side effects. I have been using Simponi for 8 months. I pray it continues working.”

RA user November 20, 2013

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was also hit hard with rheumatoid arthritis in 2011. Tried prednisone, followed by methotrexate pills, Arava and others, nothing helped. In 2012 I was put on Humira which helped a lot for a few months, but not enough. Since January 2013 I use Simponi along with 0.8 ml methotrexate injections, and it has given me back my quality of life. After 1 1/2 years I could bend my pinky finger again, wow! For me the change was subtle, but very effective. I tried alternative meds etc. after being diagnosed and didn't want to take this route, but honestly I cannot live without it. For me it works, it's a miracle.”

treeod · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2017

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have had RA since 1987 and tried pretty much every drug and biologic out there. After a few weeks on Simponi (2011) I swore that I was completely cured of my RA. Unfortunately the manufacturer does not give financial assistance to people on Medicare so I had to get off the best drug that ever worked and have been deteriorating ever since. Shame on Johnson & Johnson for not having compassion on patients who can't afford their drug. BIG DRUG COMPANIES!!!”

Anthony jhc May 1, 2014

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My rheumatoid arthritis developed about three years ago and was very severe .. very debilitating. Walked at tortoise-pace, couldn't do anything around the house. I've now been on Simponi golimumab prefilled syringes for almost that long, in conjunction with weekly injections of methotrexate and 4 tablets of Pyralin and one Plaquenil daily and really feel back to my old (now nearly 70) self. Can walk, chop wood, even play nine holes of golf again. ”

Lynnseed · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 25, 2017

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Was ready to retire from teaching from the pain and tiredness from difficulty walking from RA. Simponi gave me my life back. Reduced immune system from RA meds given as reason for Legionnaires disease but benefits far out way any negatives. At 7.00 am about to go on extended world trip.”

Ifeelsogood! August 7, 2016

Simponi Aria (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I just had my 2nd infusion and I feel so much better. I can do my everyday chores around the house without pain and fatigue. I feel like I am getting more oxygen, I know that sounds crazy but it is true. I can breath better.No stiffness in the mornings. I walk like a normal person again. My hair is falling out more that normal, I don't know if its the simponi , methatrate, or plaquenil. Going to call my doctor about my hair.I am on the drug company's assistance plan. I pay $ 5.00 for the simponi and $55.00 to the infusion center. ( thank god!) Simponi infusion costs $6500.00 with out insurance for 1 infusion. (August 2016, USA) I am 53, I feel better now than I have in 6 years. I have RA. Hope this helps someone decide to try simponi aire.”

Frode J · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2014

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Simponi since five years ago. The medicine has been a miracle. I did notice the effect only after one or two weeks. After five years I have started to have increased pain and I think the effect of the medicine is loosing. However, Simponi has changed my life completely. From hard attacked by Bekterew, I have now been running and cycling (100 km) competition for many years.”

myke99516 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 24, 2012

Simponi (golimumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I was almost wheelchair bound, every joint in my body inflamed and lots of pain walking. Psoriasis was flaring too all over. The day I took my first shot I could feel the joints loosening and pain lessening. Within 6 months I was virtually pain free and completely mobile. 2 years now and I am riding my bike 25 miles a day and combined with light treatment my skin is 90% clear.”

still kickin · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 22, 2014

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Started taking Simponi in November of 2013. I got full use of one hand back and about 80% on the other in 4 days. I was diagnosed in 2002 and disabled by 2003. I've used Humira, Enbrel, and Remicade all with some success but I continued to get worse. The infusion wears off around 5 to 6 weeks. This last infusion of Simponi was my best yet. My next infusion is tomorrow 6/23/14. Really need it too.”

ColinF July 8, 2017

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I'm a mid to severe RA patient. I have RA for about 4.5 years. I was quickly diagnosed. Less then 6 months I was prescribed Simponi. In Canada my doctor got me lined up for Simponi and once I started they will give it to me free of charge. The drug company pays for it. I am very lucky. I have been in remission for since I started it 4 years ago. Colin”

Martinica28 August 8, 2015

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started Simponi on November last year. I started noticing a rash on my face but I never relate it to the use of the med. Two weeks ago my dermatologist told me I have this weird reaction called mucinosis , which when not treated properly can lead to a lymphoma. I was feeling awesome with simponi so far cause the pain of my RA was gone but now I just don't want to use it anymore.”

Kar1123 February 7, 2018

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have had Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) 49 years. I have tried every biologic there is and Simponi has been the first drug to work for me within a few hours. I take simpono and self inject every 2 weeks, I also take low dose prednisone. I was diagnosed at age 6, have many replaced joints and still some active joints with severe RA. I have been on Simponi for 18 months now, even though I have never had a remission, my symptoms have been the most controlled on this drug! :) Pray it keeps working this well.”

romeo2 January 30, 2010

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Simponi for 4 months now. Just took my 4th dose. I love it. It just plain works. No swelling at all now. I work daily, on my feet, with my hands, bending, lifting etc. Pain free is the way to be. I switched from Humira to Simponi. Humira worked well, but had some minor side effects. The Humira "pen" just plain hurts. So I used the prefilled syringes of Humira. The Simponi "pen" works great!! Painless, fast and easier to use. It allows you to hold it in your fist and squeeze to activate. It is a light squeeze, so no difficulty in using it. At least for me. It took a couple days to notice any effects, but all were positive. Doctor visits have been very good....”

Glittergirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am 59...diagnosed with RA at 53. Started with Methotrexate for 6 months, added Enbrel...worked great for 4 years and then nothing worked for more than a couple months. I just started first ever IV infusions in doctors office. Simponi Aria and also still on Methotrexate. First dose in Feb, 4 weeks later 2nd dose in March - nothing! Can’t walk on my feet and can’t use my hands. Worse shape I have been in. Had the3rd dose is this first week of May 2020. Both my RA doctor and my regular doctor say don’t give up and that we need 4 doses to see if this medicine will work. I am hanging in there but life is passing me by right now. After 34 years as an Analyst at a Hospital who works on spreadsheets all day I am on a leave while we see if this Simponi Aria is going to help me. I am HOPEFUL!”

Kdm20 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2016

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was on Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine for my RA for several years. I have now received 2 infusions of Simponi with my third one the end of 11/16. The only improvement I saw was after the first infusion which helped with my stiffness. I am still suffering with the pain and returning of stiffness. Also, my feet are really bad now. Does Simponi just not work for some people?”

LisaInUSA October 9, 2013

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was hit hard with rheumatoid arthritis in March 2012 and practically disabled by May. I couldn't tolerate methotrexate or Enbrel due to reactions. I started Simponi in October with 20mg Arava. It has given me my life back! I literally don't hurt at all most days! After nine months, I did develop a bad case of Palmer Planter Psoriasis as a side effect. Yet, I still want Simponi! That's how much it's improved my quality if life. The pens are easy to use and don't hurt compared to Enbrel. I've had no other reactions besides a shaky feeling on first month only.”

dianna c.. · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2017

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am 65 with RA and have been on 8 different biologics. Now on simphone doing well. Methotrexate gave me interstitial fibrosis, another drug a dvt. They all come with a price physically and financially but quality of life verses quantity....I choose quality. It's good to read others experiences it helps ...”

tootie121055 July 13, 2010

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started taking Simponi 4 days ago after a very severe flare-up. I am 54 years old and have had rheumatoid arthritis for 29 years. I was pretty much incapacitated with the pain. Two days ago I was able to resume my normal household chores and feel so much better! I really hope the effectiveness continues.”

Sweet Victory September 10, 2009

Simponi (golimumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Well, it has been about 12 days since I have taken my first shot of Simponi. I started on Saturday, August 29, 2009. I also stopped taking prednisone that day. I feel real good. I go to the Doctor on the 23rd of September. I would like to start cutting back on the methotrexate. I will update next month. ”