User Reviews for GlipiZIDE XL to treat Diabetes, Type 2

GlipiZIDE XL has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 13% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

GlipiZIDE XL Rating Summary

4.8/10 average rating

Compare all 158 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

IpsoFatso · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2019

“When I first started taking Glipizide-ER 5mg along with Trulicity- once a week, also metformin 1000mg in a.m. and 1000 mg at night. My blood sugars (BS) was dropping to 100-110. I also have insulin as needed on a sliding scale. I refilled my medicine, but maybe a different manufacturer, my BS are reading 195-255. I'm constipated, moody as heck, dizzy in the morning. I bounce off the walls like a pinball machine, not to mention that I have gained a lot of weight. I have not changed my diet, not much exercise because I feel like rubbish all the time. Tonight I threw the medicine in the trash. It's bad stuff with too many side effects.”

mozayic November 3, 2011

“I have taken Glipizide and Glipizide XL in conjunction with metformin for a number of years with no side effects. Anyone taking Glipizide (not XL) should be aware that blood sugar levels can plummet quickly and that dosage timing may need to be readjusted. With Glipizide XL, I have not experienced these fluctuations; however, the positive control appears to take effect much slower as this is a time-released form.”

SDee7 September 8, 2015

“I started taking Glipizide ER initially with instructions to take it only if my blood glucose level was 180 or higher. I did not have to take it every day, but took it several times a week. Then I was started having a hard time controlling my daily glucose levels. My Hg A1c was higher, so the instructions were changed to 2 in the a.m. and 1 at night. I purchased the medication from a different source and it was a larger pill with now Glipazide XL instead of ER. I have experienced a number of side effects and feel worse with it than before I started taking it. The longer I have taken it the worse I feel. I feel drugged, want to sleep all the time, have a slight headache, more thirsty, constipation on occasion, dry eyes, and more. Yuck!”

Loni Q · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 4, 2013

“I have used Glipizide XL for about 6 years now as a secondary medicine. Glipizide helps to keep my blood sugar numbers within range and keeps me from having to use insulin as much as I would without it, which is a good thing. I haven't had any side effects from the glipizide at all. I'm very happy with this medication.”

Wayo · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 18, 2019

“Took this med for diabetes for almost two years. I found that it contributed or fungal infections in genital areas. This was not listed as a side affect. After I stopped taking it I no longer have this condition. It also caused sudden drops of my glucose levels.”

Baxter · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

“My Dr. insisted I switch to Glipizide XLfrom glyburide. Well, this drug is NOT working at all for me even at an increased dosage. My fasting glucose readings are 100 to 150 points higher than when I was on glyburide. But try telling and convincing a Dr. they're wrong.”

sugarboy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 7, 2019

“I was originally on metformin 500mg one daily when my A1C went to 7%. This didn't help so my doctor added glipizide 5mg once daily to my regimen. Both my sugars and A1C did not come down. Then again I didn't change my eating habits or start exercising (but I am tall and thin, no weight problem here). After too much GI trouble I stopped taking the metformin and told my doctor I'd never take it again. So, he upped my glipizide to ER 10mg once daily. After changing my diet pretty dramatically (cut out refined sugars and carb intake) my sugars came down. However, now I'm having quite a few hypoglycemic attacks. Scary ones like with a BS of 31. And I live alone. So that's worrying me now. Maybe my adjusted diet has resulted in me not needing 10mg but maybe 5mg daily again? It's kind of scary though. I moved so I have to find new doctors and get new blood work so I'm hoping to hang in there and then learn possibly to not be so extreme in my eating and if the dose should go down.”

MarC · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 23, 2021

“When I first was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes it frightened enough to watch everything I ate. I dieted hard, and lost 35 pounds in about 4 to 5 months. My doctor prescribed Glipizide to go along with the dieting. I brought my A1C from 7.6 to 6.8 in the first 6 months. That was about as low as I could get my A1C, so I guess the Glipizide worked but only marginally. The only side effect was I actually gained weight back when I stopped being as rigid with my diet.”

Diabetes RN · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2017

“Fabulous drug. My patients are doing so much better with Glipizide XL. Getting them to goal. Easy to take and no pre meal dosing.”

More about GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide)

Other brands