User Reviews for Glimepiride

Also known as: Amaryl

Glimepiride Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 171 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Glimepiride to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"In taking this my blood sugar went low and caused veins around my ankle to rupture and this is the only med I take Now my abdominal, right side is hurting which I assume is pancreas! "

Jo April 27, 2018

"Medication makes my sugar go low below 70 I take it in the mid afternoon because I don’t want it to do it at night. My sugar is spiking and dipping all day long. I feel like a zombie and then the next day I feel like I have a hangover! I've be been on it for 6 months and I can’t do it anymore. I want my life back!"

MaryAT February 6, 2018

"After a rare side effect from Metformin, my doc put me on this. It's worked really well at getting my numbers down. I will get tummy aches if I try to take it with too little food. It can also make me munchy or my blood sugar dip an hour or two after taking. But as long as I have something on hand for it, it's not major for me. I agree with comment that a mid-morning snack is probably a good idea with this. Also, I noticed that when I eat things that are sugary, my body is better at saying "enough" and an aversion to things too sweet. That's a good addition. Overall, I can't complain. Seems to do the job with minimal interference in my life."

Sha00 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2017

"Dr. just stopped this med."

j.allen loud. August 23, 2017

"After two weeks on this medication I got severe stomach pains and feelings of fullness. The pains went away about three days after stopping this medication but three months later still have the fullness. Now I have to have a camera put into my stomach to see what's going on."

kennedy12 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

"I have stomach pain - does it go away? So far it's been helping me. I've been on for 2 weeks but I can't take the pain."

Ladyj I (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

"I have been on several non insulin drugs and nothing lowered my blood sugar untiI started glimipiride. At first I took one pill in the morning and one at dinner. I was still eating a large dinner and eating junk food. My sugar levels would go down but were,all over the place. When my A1C increased significantly in three months I knew I had to make a change. I now take Double the dose of glimipiride in the evening. However when I got serious about my diabetes, I changed the way I eat. Smaller meals more often is best on this medication in order to not have dips and spikes. A good breakfast and a mid morning snack works well. A moderate lunch with an afternoon snack makes good sense. A low carb-high lean protein dinner. The med works well"

Kandaygurl November 26, 2016

"I take glimepiride with metformin. The morning I took my fist dose, my blood sugar was 169. Two hours later, it was down to 141, and two hours after that it was down to 107. The next morning, my blood was 120 or so. I reasoned that if I took it again, and it brought my blood sugar down 60 points, it would be too low. So I didn't take it. For the next five days, I took only my metformin because my levels were in a very reasonable range. On the fifth or sixth day, my level went above 150. I took Glimeperide and for the next 5 days, my sugar levels were low enough not only to not take the Glimeperide, but also to cut back on my metformin."

Askpastor1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

"The problem I have with this medicine is it makes me sleepy and an occasional headache. Hard to get anything done when you want to sleep all the time."

Vickie C June 23, 2016

"I have never taking some that screwed me up so much, read the symptoms below , they all fit me. Watch out for bad drug."

bobnbkr (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

"This drug was perfect for me. Was on it for 15 years and A1C was down to 5.8. Never had any problems. New doctor comes into the group and puts me on januvia which I cannot tolerate and has driven A1C and fasting levels up higher than ever. Trying to get back on glimepiride."

cs6338 (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2016

"I have been on this medicine for about a month and do not like it at all. My new insurance does not cover kombiglyze so this was what my Dr. chose. I eat breakfast and take this medication. Not more than two hours later I am getting hungry, I start getting anxious and cranky and start shaking. My blood sugar reading will be in the 70 but I have to eat right then or I will get a splitting headache. It takes me about an hour and a half at least to get my blood levels back up but for the rest of the day I feel lethargic and almost like I'm half drunk. I have to get off this medication, I feel like my emotions are on a roller coaster! I don't have time for this!!"

MaryMJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

Amaryl (glimepiride): "I was on Lantus Solostar and Metformin twice daily max dosage. Sugar counts were still 300 and 200. I was so frustrated because the insulin and supplies are extremely expensive with my HSA plan. Basically, my problem did not improve and I was broke. I ran out of insulin and did not have the money to refill. My dr's apt was three weeks later. I explained my low funds situation and promised to fill the Rx as soon as I received my next pay check. She said "Let's try a cheaper option for you". I said "Woo hoo! Let's!". She prescribed Glimeperide. I took a half pill for days 1 and 2. No change. I took the entire pill days 3 & 4...better...but not much. I take two pills daily now, and I see IMPROVEMENT! WOO HOO!"

Ubermodele February 25, 2016

"My A1C hit 7.2, and my doctor put me on glimepiride, 1 mg at my largest meal (usually breakfast). My BS hit 73; fortunately, I now carry glucose tablets with me. It's working well for me and, so far, no side effects. In three weeks, A1C went from 7.2 to 6.2 (estimated). I will see doctor next week for professional evaluation. I like this medication."

Kate Lynn February 11, 2016

"just started"

kuta February 4, 2016

"A1c good. Under the same type and amount of food consumption glucose levels vary from very low 45 mg/ml to 175mg/ml ????"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2015

"I havae been on this drug for 6 months, still having problems maintaining sugar levels. My sugar has dropped to 44, 67,70, so I eat something before bed time. Some mornings it is at 130,160 or as high as 235. It seems as though the pill will bring levels down very quickly causing me to eat late to get them up again, only to have them rebound to high by morning."

rdh557 August 2, 2015

"I was on Glyburide and Januvia for a long time. Then my insurance company decided that I had to take Glimepiride instead of Glyburide because it works better. I have noticed a difference already after just a few weeks. My blood sugar readings are much lower than they were on Glyburide."

blue jean queen (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2015

"I discovered my A1c has crossed the line into the 6's and my Dr wanted to be proactive regarding this. I'm 59 and overweight. Not very active due to a limb amputation (Total knee replacement gone wrong). I saw immediate improvement with my blood sucrose numbers. I also started reading food labels and after reading some diet suggestions, I try to target meals below 55-60 carbs. My pre-meal numbers run from 60 to 120."

Jeff R (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

"I have been taking Glimepiride for 5 months now and it works great and if I cut the carbs/candy out my sugar is so good that sometimes I don't have to take it at all. My A1C was 8.9 and the Dr said if it goes to 10 then they will put me on insulin. I am praying that my A1C has gone down. I get tested next week. I crave candy everyday and have not stopped eating it."

Love it! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

"Rather than reduce my blood sugar, this stuff actually caused a 150-200 point increase over the time that I took it. Needless to say, I'm back to glyburide for much better control."

Bunkwood Boy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2015

Amaryl (glimepiride): "Stomach pain and loose stools."

ladybug848 January 2, 2015

"Diabetic for 7 years. Started with Metformin only. Then added Starlix with meals. Small improvement with post-prandials. Exchanged the Starlix with glimepiride. Have been on glimepiride for 2 and a half years with meals. Does not prevent my spikes but does pull them down within a short time. The sudden drop makes me feel low when I am just "dropping" FAST into the normal range. The problem is the time it remains in effect will cause me to be low (50;s) during the night while sleeping if I take with last meal of day. Without it, I skyrocket after eating and slowly come down. My doctor is taking me off of glimepiride because of the lows while sleeping and will put me on another med. My A1C's have been climbing over the past year."

cmin (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2014

"I've was taking Glimepiride for almost a year then a new Doctor changed me to Metformin. I see a difference between the two medications in my blood sugar level. I was doing better with the Glimepiride. My sugar levels were lower and my sugar level with Metformin are much higher. I'm going to ask to be put back on Glimepiride."

Cinful May 31, 2014