User Reviews for Glimepiride

Also known as: Amaryl

Diabetes, Type 2 6.7

Reviews for Glimepiride

mikeandmary20 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 31, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I take two- 6.25 in the morning for the last year and am also on alogliptin 1 time a day and still can't get my blood sugars down below 160-180. I can't exercise except walking with walker because of neck surgery and bad back (three disc missing in lower back. L-1 to L- 4 is bone on bone) so the typical exercise I can't do i can't bend over. I watch my diet. (I used to weigh 300 now. I lost down to 180 ) I just can't understand I use to be on insulin when I was heavy but since I quit taking metformin and switch to alogliptin and gliapride my sugars can't get to 100 -130 anymore. Any ideas? I would have gave it a 10 if it would lower my sugars a little more. No interactions no side effects no problems at all with the other 12 medications so I have just that slight problem”

Big B · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I went to the ER with an infected finger and found out I was type 2 diabetic. Blood glucose at 640 when tested. Spent 3 days in the hospital. Used insulin shots to bring it down then glimepride to maintain it. I've been home 2 days. Ist day morning test 119. 2nd day 88. The doctor told me if it drops under 70 to cut the pill in half. So far so good.”

DonRondel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Walgreens filled my Rx renewal with a different glimepiride. The pill was nothing like previous glimepiride pills so I looked it up on line. I found the new pill is made off shore. Walgreens never advised this change so I'm going back to the pharmacy tomorrow to request they take these back and give me one made in the USA Also read the manufacturer of this pill had a problem getting its Indian factory approved by the FDA in 2017. Why is Walgreens selling such suspect drugs? I know ... they're cheaper for them. PLUS the Rx was for 180 but they only gave me 80 pills. I'm not enamored with Walgreens any longer.”

Insomniac Too · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2019

Amaryl (glimepiride) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Amaryl was my second prescription, as Metformin had too many side effects for me. The medicine was alright, to be generous. I had a lot of trouble with low blood sugar when I was taking Amaryl. I couldn't go three hours without eating. I usually ended up binging on candy or fruit juice to try and drag it back up. I had a few really bad scares. My A1C wasn't that great and any type of "bad" food would completely destroy my sugar. It seemed like I couldn't find a middle ground. I was switched to another medicine when it became clear it wasn't working well enough.”

Lilly October 23, 2019

Amaryl (glimepiride) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Two weeks ago my sugar levels were running anywhere from 500 to even getting a reading of HI on glucose meter, my doctor started me on Amaryl 2mg in morning and 2mg evening. My levels have came down to to an average of 450. I just recently started with the Ozempic shot once a week. No more decrease with numbers doing this. I am hoping it continues to come down..But my feet still burn and sting severely...Any other suggestions?”

JLauren1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I just began taking Glimepiride 2mg, recently (with Metformin) and I LOVE it. I have never seen my numbers so nice, in the normal range. It's working great. I woke up this morning and my BG was 97. This inspires me to really watch everything I eat; I watch every morsel. And now I gently exercise. So fun to see normalcy.”

lj · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I did not like the diarrhea I had with Metformin so Dr. put me a glimepiride. My A1C is around 7, but that is not the problem. The constant lows and weakness are getting unbearable. No matter what kind of breakfast I have or if I take a whole pill due to bigger breakfast or half a pill with a small breakfast, by 4:30 or later I have crashed to 70 and below. I have even had a 57. and once a 50 with a scary dizzy spell. Once I walk the dogs, do shopping or anything I drop like a rock and feel almost to weak to fix something to eat to bring my BS up. I can’t always be eating snacks, I’m out and about and overweight enough to not want eat just to keep from going too low. I hate this medication and next Dr. appointment guess I’ll have to try Metformin again. I feel this pill is dangerous because of my everyday low readings.”

Ginny · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was taking Januvia and Invokana but it wasn't quite enough so my doctor added glimepiride. I started taking it 3 months ago and it really worked! My A1C dropped to 6.7 and I average 120-130 blood sugar. My blood sugar bottomed out a few times since starting it but I just have to plan snacks and eat properly. My only complaint is I gained weight since starting it and I'm hungry more often.”

granny · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 22, 2019

Amaryl (glimepiride) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Amaryl gave me horrible stomach pains. I finally had to quit taking it. I did a very strict diet, which worked until I got an infection, and had to go back on it. I had to quit again for abdominal pain. The dr put me on insulin, tresiba once a day. It worked well at night, but had to go on a sliding scale of regular during the day. I feel so much better now, and after 6 months, I am finally getting my digestive system back to normal. I have a friend on 4 different oral meds, and still struggles. I've known insulin dependent diabetics for years, my son has it for 45 years and no complications from meds or diabetes. He does follow the diet he is supposed to, and enjoys food. I say food was my enemy, until I started on insulin. I also am trying to straighten out my liver, after Amaryl caused a problem with it, too.”

Panda · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 31, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been taking this for 2 years and no change at all A1C stays around 7.6, I also have been on a diet to reduce blood sugar and walk 2 miles a day. Big issues is I can't lose weight and my A1C is better when I don't take it. Did an experiment first A1C test when I have not been taking it 7.0. Second A1C test 3 months later and taking glimepride twice a day total 8mg A1C was 8.3. Told my doctor this and he said just keep taking it and we will retest in 3 months. I would love to get this under control.”

kika June 16, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I lost mine hear.”

CCinTN · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My doctor switched me to glimepiride because Metformin was causing me problems. I've been taking two per day for about 3 weeks and it isn't lowering my blood sugar at all. It hasn't been below 224 since I started taking glimepiride. This morning my fasting count was 255, I ate an omelette with lots of vegetables and cubes of ham, then 2 hours after taking my meds, my blood sugar level was 268. I had nothing to drink but water.”

Frustrated · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Just started this medicine after Junevia made me feel like I had Lyme disease. Have been on Glimepiride 1 mg once a day for a month. Works great on lowering sugar levels. My stomach and intestines blow out like a balloon after I eat no mater what it is. Make me weepy, moody, and have gained 7 lbs in one month. Not going to live like this!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 4, 2019

Amaryl (glimepiride) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My physician prescribed Amaryl 4 mg 19+ years ago. We went to 4mg twice daily after 8 1/2 years. Results have always been very good. Fasting blood glucose has averaged in the 90’s with a seldom reading over 110 or below 80. Eat right, exercise, rest and drink LOTS of water. About 2 hours after morning dose I usually need a snack. I always keep soft peppermint if needed. Very happy with Amaryl and the generic Glimepiride.”

Chatusa · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I’ve had nothing but stomach pain and diarrhea as side effects from glimepiride. I didn’t take it for 2 days just to see what would happen. My tummy felt better I could finally eat. Then on the third day I took it with dinner bam up at 5 a.m to the bathroom. I was given two new pills at the same time so it’s got to be one of them causing this. Amaryl (glimerpiride) I believe is what’s doing it. My sugar levels are great taking only 1/2 mg daily. But the side effects are just not working for me”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “This seems to be working to an extent. Metforman was not for me. It did nothing on me. Not saying Metforman doesn't work because to many people use it with success.”

Honey · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I just started glimeperide 2mg 3 days ago so far no effects just hungry... I was on metformin 500mg at first it gave me real bad side effects diarrhea urinating all the time and losing 2lbs a day. Glimepiride seems to work better for me.”

Tyra · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Medication worked great. I took it for 7 months. Just couldn’t deal with the weight gain. I gained about 10lbs in that time.”

Marsupial · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was put on Glimepiride because I could no longer afford my other medication. I was on it four months, gained ten pounds in seven days, and my A1c jumped way up. Befroe this I was reaching my next goal weight...only two pounds away...so this sudden gain was devastating. I thought, well, if my A1c improves, I will just deal with the weight issue, but it got much worse.”

Moe · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Works great but gives me lower side back pain. Kidneys? Have to try something else.”

Jo April 27, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “In taking this my blood sugar went low and caused veins around my ankle to rupture and this is the only med I take Now my abdominal, right side is hurting which I assume is pancreas! ”

MaryAT February 6, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Medication makes my sugar go low below 70 I take it in the mid afternoon because I don’t want it to do it at night. My sugar is spiking and dipping all day long. I feel like a zombie and then the next day I feel like I have a hangover! I've be been on it for 6 months and I can’t do it anymore. I want my life back!”

Sha00 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “After a rare side effect from Metformin, my doc put me on this. It's worked really well at getting my numbers down. I will get tummy aches if I try to take it with too little food. It can also make me munchy or my blood sugar dip an hour or two after taking. But as long as I have something on hand for it, it's not major for me. I agree with comment that a mid-morning snack is probably a good idea with this. Also, I noticed that when I eat things that are sugary, my body is better at saying "enough" and an aversion to things too sweet. That's a good addition. Overall, I can't complain. Seems to do the job with minimal interference in my life.”

j.allen loud. August 23, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Dr. just stopped this med.”

kennedy12 · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “After two weeks on this medication I got severe stomach pains and feelings of fullness. The pains went away about three days after stopping this medication but three months later still have the fullness. Now I have to have a camera put into my stomach to see what's going on.”