User Reviews for Advair Diskus to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Advair Diskus Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Advair Diskus

Ernie · Taken for 10 years or more July 11, 2019

"I have been on Advair 500 for many years and my asthma has been under control. Before taking this I had attacks all day long. Now they have made a generic that I have been on for almost 3 months. My attacks are coming back. And insurance will no longer cover Advair. It’s very frustrating. I also have coronary artery spasms which are due entirely to the severe asthma. So now not only am I having to use the nebulizer more but I’m also having to take nitro more for my heart."

Mountain girl April 1, 2019

"I have been using this purple disk since childhood. I’m in my mid 20’s. I never realized how effective this was until I stopped my asthma meds altogether (this inhaler & another smaller one). I needed to see the doctor that I avoided for about 3 months but I had an actual asthma attack. It was scary as heck. When I finally went in my Dr. explained the importance of my inhaler because the steroid is that powerful. I went back on it & immediately recognized a huge difference. It’s helped me for a decade. No doubt. It is pricey though."

Musicgal · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2018

"I have moderate persistent asthma and severe allergies. I was taking a different medication and had several all night asthma attacks, daily episodes, and pleurisy for months. My doctor switched me to Advair 250/50 three days ago and the difference is night and day. Today is the first day in three months that I haven’t had any symptoms. I feel like a new person. Adviar is the best asthma medication I’ve tried, and today, I’m enjoying breathing deeply!"

Youmu · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 13, 2018

"After struggling with a series of ineffective corticosteroid inhalers, leukotriene modifiers, and antihistamines for nightly asthma episodes that set in in April 2014, I finally asked my doctor about Advair Diskus. I was very hesitant to use it because I was alarmed about the black box warning on this product and because I got a really nasty sore throat when I was on this when I was 6 or 7. I'm really glad I tried this medication. 250/50 brought my nightly episodes down to four days a week and my current dose of 500/50 has me only needing my albuterol inhaler one or two nights per week. It's been a fantastic drug for me! The $60 copay isn't too terrible, which is also a plus."

Holyfieldsmom · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2018

"I have been using Advair 250/50 for 17 years. It works for me. I rarely have to use my rescue inhaler. I have noticed a rapid heartbeat from time to time, and I am assuming it is from this. Right now, with my Prescription insurance, it is $150.00 for a 90 day supply. I will be on Medicare next year, and I checked the prescription plan my husband is currently on, and it is going to cost me $415.00 for a 90 day supply. Seriously, how do these Pharmaceutical companies get away with this???? Also, why isn't it in a generic form yet? I really would love to stop taking this."

APELX · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2018

"The discus from my mail order pharmacy costs $222. / month. The HFA ( sprayer ) form costs about $ 35. / month."

Linda N · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2017

"After using the Advair disc for less than a week. Realized that I had lost ability to taste food within 2-3 days of starting. Sense of taste has never returned. I reported this to Glaxo and physician. Neither followed up beyond my call."

Dumb-Ass December 19, 2017

"Things that they don't tell you about this poison. The only thing I was told about this stuff was the possible weight gain. They never said that asthma can be cured. They never told me about the extreme mood swings. etc.. I can go on and on and on. Do your self a favor and research all the natural cures for asthma. You will be amazed what you find out."

Coughing gal · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2017

"My doctor said I have "reactive cough asthma". I tried Advair for a month. It neither helped nor made things worse. I think it might just be allergy of some sort, or maybe acid reflux. Who knows?"

MLU8 December 5, 2016

"Was using Pulmicort for years for asthma maintenance; I found it made a difference but would stop working for periods of time. I asked my physician to switch me to something else and she put me on this. A marked difference. This has a steroid as well as a stimulant (to open your lungs upon inhalation, much like a rescue inhaler, which Pulmicort did not have). I forgot to refill my Advair this month (I mail order three months at a time with my insurance, WAY cheaper) and have been without for about 4 days. I can definitely tell the difference. My rescue inhaler use has gone up, and subsequently goes way down (to almost nonexistent) when I'm on Advair. Highly recommended."

koobabe · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2016

"Extremely helpful in reducing my need for nebulizer in the winter. I seem to have more energy too. Took it years ago, now have gone made the switch back from another inhaled steroid that didn't work as well. The asthma related death scares me. But I'm young and healthy for the most part."

Cabo Bob · Taken for 10 years or more October 24, 2016

"Advair is effective in treating my asthma. Unfortunately, I often feel restless, agitated and maybe anxious. I'm thinking of getting off of the drug, but am afraid my asthma will get worse. I'll probably try gradually weaning off and have an emergency inhaler nearby. I'm just growing tired of the side effects. I may also look into another drug if my asthma gets worse after quitting Advair."

Liz12NJ · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2016

"I am a 47 year old woman and for the last few weeks have suffered asthma-like symptoms, common when I have a cold. The doctor prescribed this as I wasn't getting better only using the inhaler. I took first dose at night, the next this morning and I have had diarrhea all day. Apparently stomach problems can be a side effect. While I know some medications have side effects when first starting, this is not tolerable. I will not continue and will see an allergist for possible other solutions. I am sure it is the advair."

Sagegrammy · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2016

"Asthma since 26, year round allergies, Advair and montelukast for years. Feel i'm alive in my 70s because of some smart, caring Doctors. Biggest problems--no generic and super expensive now that prices have been raised. Donut hole every Year! Used to be more reasonable. Not advised to change since Advair and monte work. But can't afford to use 2 times a day as doctor recommends. I think it is Mylan also that raised prices out of seniors reach. Please help bring price down again. Thanks. Insurance covers part reasonably than too high in donut hole."

Nervous Me April 30, 2016

"I had told my Dr. How when I walk up my stairs in my house how I'm out off breathe and how my chest had been feeling tight over the last few months and I just use my nebulizer or my ventolin pump and it helps me feel better .But then she suggested Advair Diskus and within the 2nd day I felt the tightness in my chest like I was having an asthma attack and then my throat started to feel swollen so I stopped the medicine . Since using this medication my throat is sore, swollen glands,hurts when I swallow . I'm very nervous and will not use it anymore"

Kisha-Kish April 8, 2016

"I've only been using it for 3 days and I haven't used or needed my pump once. I usually use the pump at least once a day. It might be too soon to tell, but I haven't had any side effects and I'm not winded when walking up the steps like prior to using Advair."

Living and Breathing February 11, 2016

"I have been on advair for over 10 years. I have never breathed better. Before I couldn't even walk without being out of breath. I do experience a lot of side effects such as oral thrush, and headaches; however, being able to breathe outweighs the side effects. I would recommend this medication to anyone with asthma."

MarchWinds · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 9, 2016

"I've been using Advair 250/50 for about 7 years. I developed asthma after several respiratory infections. After months of having no energy and wheezing and coughing, the doctor finally confirmed asthma. I started on 4 puffs per day for a week, and then went down to 2 per day. In the summer, I can often get away with only 1 puff per day. In the winter I usually need 2. The main symptom I get if my asthma is not fully controlled is a gurgling sensation in my lungs. With Advair my asthma symptoms have mostly disappeared. It's a really effective medication."

Rodley January 11, 2016

"Since I started an Advair diskus regime many years ago - I rarely have to use my rescue inhalers. In fact I lose more of them than I use. The only negative is the cost - over $200 for a month's supply - that wasn't a big issue when I had a sweet low copay but all that has changed since the Affordable Healthcare Act (A nice oxymoron there !). I was surprised to see Advair (actually under a different name, but still GSK's product) in Belize at just $55USD for the same dosage. Can't wait for generics to hit the market."

Bailey's Mom · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 3, 2016

"I was a long time advocate of this med (250/50) - as it was the only thing that prevented asthma issues deteriorating into pneumonia. Had to use only from October to January - and then asthma would subside. Grabbed the med the other day and with first inhale lips, mouth, and tongue immediately began to tingle and swell. Raced to the sink and rinse out with sprayer, hoping the same thing wasn't going to happen in throat / lungs."

Thumber · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2015

"Was prescribed Advair two weeks ago and haven't used Albuterol inhaler since. I notice easier breathing immediately and had absolutely no side affects. I don't even taste it but always rinse anyway. Before using Advair, I was using the inhaler about 10 times a day and still was out of breath when I tied my boots. After two days on Advair, I was able to attend a Packers game and walked about a mile to the stadium and another 60 flights of stairs to get to our seats. I would have been dead the week before. I'm hoping I can continue using this medication without getting any side affects. I have my life back and want to keep it that way."

Rakuflames November 19, 2015

"Advair is the only thing that has gotten my asthma under control. It gave me awful muscle cramps, but my nurse practitioner. let me try a muscle relaxant for that (I take a small dose of Tizanidine) and it works wonderfully. "

Inspectorlady · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 23, 2015

"I was prescribed Advair in combination with Spiriva after a bad asthma type attack in 2010 (1 of 3, the 1st in 2001; 2nd in 2007). I finally went to a Pulmonary Specialist in early 2010. The inhalers combined with a series of oral prednisone helped me to recover fully. At the advice of my new doctor I continued using the Advair and Spiriva daily. In 2013 I developed Virtigo and continuous bladder infections, determined that was related to the Spiriva, so I stopped that one. Several times during the 5 years,I have attempted to stop using Advair. I think it is addicting in nature; I am unable to breathe without it! THAT SUCKS....Especially since I was doing fine without any inhalers prior to continued use of Advair."

M Panjwani · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2015

"Have been taking it for 15+ years - its been a life saver. Don't remember the last time I had an attack or ER visit (which were mostly triggered off by dust and seasonal allergies, at least once or twice a year until I started Advair). Because of the high price, I end up extending to 60 days, sometimes over that. I use it once a day rather than twice - it works wonderfully as a preventative dose. My PCP is comfortable with this lowered dose, so the only risk I run is with the side effects and the delayed use of the disk. FortunatelyI don't feel much side effects. I did, however, end up developing an early cataract (at 42) and getting the surgery done and my eye doc has me on glaucoma watch, so it will probably catch up with me one day"

VLN · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2015

"I had been on Advair for ten years and enjoyed not having asthma attacks, being able to exercise without using a rescue inhaler all of the time. Unfortunately due to the cost of Advair my insurance has dropped it from the list of medications they will cover and I have been switched to another brand. The new one does not work as well."