User Reviews for Ezetimibe to treat High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous

Also known as: Zetia

Ezetimibe has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Ezetimibe Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous.

Reviews for Ezetimibe

MaineJo May 24, 2013

Zetia (ezetimibe): “The ONLY medicine that has resulted in my numbers being normal after many years on Lipitor-Niacin regimen. Added Zetia to the mix every night. Effects - light-headed and loose stools in mornings every day. Small price to pay for good health, but, yes, BIG price for the medicine.”

Eunie January 12, 2016

Zetia (ezetimibe): “It is January 2016 and I just had to pay $267.00 for 30 day supply of Zetia at the pharmacy - the preferred pharmacy for my United prescription policy. I have never had to pay this much before. Whoever markets this drug is greedy and evil!!!!”

KT I have been on Zetia for a · Taken for 10 years or more March 29, 2016

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I have been on Zetia for a number of years. The retail price has now gone over the one thousand dollar amount for a three month suppy. $12 for each tiny capsule. What is the deal. My dr. has recently told me to take one every other day to cut the cost. I am on social security and have a good RX policy....but it still costs me over $5.50 in cash. That is prohibitive for a drug that has been on the market for years and years. I think the makers of it are out of their minds. My last refill the retail was $899. Please tell WHY has it gone up almost $200.”

Mrywidow · Taken for 10 years or more December 5, 2016

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I have been taking Zetia off and on since it first came out in 2002. But now the price has gotten prohibitive. There is no generic for it, because Merck is greedy and still holds the patent. There has been a generic drug available since 2015, but Merck wants to be the sole source for this drug, and it's has not been allowed on the market. I've paid a co-pay of $25 per month due to a secondary card I got from my doctor's office, now my insurance has jacked the co-pay to $100 for 30 tabs. I went to the Merck site and they no longer offer a discount card. They have a form for applying for a free prescription online, but apparently you must be destitute to get it. Since they're the only guy in town for this drug, this is just ridiculous...”

Hels · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2020

“Hey guys. I'm 26 years old, have severe familial hypercholesterolemia. Was on ezetimibe for only 4 days in addition to crestor 40mg. Urine became brown, had horrible fatigue and pain in my legs and feet, plus blocked nose. Have stopped taking it even though the benefit of this drug (in addition to statins) apparently outweighs the importance of my quality of life. Also dark urine suggests liver or kidney problems and I could tell the small amount of symptoms I had was only getting worse by the day. Will continue to search for an answer to my problem.”

JGB-UK June 18, 2017

“I have beeen on medicine for Familial Heterozygous High cholesterol for 15 years, Rosuvastatin half the max dose 20mg cut total cholesterol from 9.9 uk measuring system to 5.2, with no noticeable side effects. Ezetimibe reduced this by 0.6 to 4.6 monitored quarterly, side effects first diarrhoea got worse and next resembled irritable bowel symptoms and then became like having severe gastroenteritis once a fortnight with in the last 3 days worsening nausea and delayed stomach emptying for up to 24 hours followed by 2 days of extremely frequent and exhausting vomiting and diarrhoea until only clear fluid was expelled followed by 3 days recovery starting a new cycle. I endured this for 18 months with various -ve tests. Stopping ezetimibe cured these side effects completely.”

staflo · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2019

“Ezitimibe has replaced previous statins. Over 17 years I had tried most common brands of statin following 95% blocked LAD (left anterior descending artery) . Similar side effects to others , back pain , leg ache , not sleeping well , Cholesterol reduced to half previous level . Ezitimibe however I have no problem at all tolerating . My brother who has similar condition is exactly the opposite!”

Cranky · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2018

“After taking this drug for a week l experienced severe joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and headaches. Disappointing as l am unable to take statins for the same reason. Will just have to contend with high cholesterol.”

Wixsey · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2020

“I took Ezetimiba for 3 days and felt dizzy and sick with headaches. I had a dry mouth and it felt like I had a lump in my throat when swallowing. I left it for a couple of weeks thinking I would try again when they were 'out of my system'. Two weeks later after doing a walk (which I usually do most days) which involved steps, I had so much pain in my thigh muscles I could hardly walk the next day. I tried two more tablets after that, this time taking them at bedtime, but had, and are still having two weeks later, muscle pains and weird dreams. I woke up screaming one night after a nightmare.”

Suffering August 6, 2021

“Doctor prescribed 10 mg of ezetimibe (Zetia), 1 dose a day. After 1 mo was feeling tired, with sore muscles. I thought I was working out too much, walking yoga, jazzercise, jogging, so I slowed downed. By 6th wk, the muscle pain and weakness was so bad I could barely lift my arms, I was extremely tired, the muscle and joint pain from my chest up is excruciating! It's in my jaw, neck, shoulders, arms, chest, and hands. I've been off the drug for just over a month and now the muscle pain and weakness is moving down to my hips and legs. Blood work showed severe liver and muscle damage. Extreme high CK 1182 even after being off the drug for a month. I was an active, fully functional middle-aged female, now I feel like a 90 year old with RA! 5 years ago was on a statin. I ended up in the hospital with a stroke. Took 6 mo to get statin out of body. Cardiologist and neuro said I had no cardio problems and it was the statin that caused the stroke and TIAs. Cholesterol drugs are bad for you”

Anonymous November 21, 2011

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I didn't get on with statins -muscle aches. I have been taking this for several years with absolutely no side effects, and my cholesterol level keeps my doctor happy. ”

Ken2912 June 15, 2013

Zetia (ezetimibe): “Taken for two weeks and have back pain. Stopped taking medicine.”

bradford · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

Zetia (ezetimibe): “This caused flatulence and diarrhea which don't make a good mix”

Learn more about High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous