User Reviews for Junel Fe 1 / 20 to treat Birth Control

Junel Fe 1/20 Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Junel Fe 1/20

Allyson · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2019

"Not sure why I even bother taking Junel Fe 1/20. I take BC to manage my extreme period pain, hair growth and cystic acne. This is by far the worst birth control I have ever experienced. In just four months, I have gained 20lbs even though I run and play squash daily. I also haven’t had breakouts like this since I was a teenager. And to top it all off, I’ve had a literal period everyday for the past four months. THIS IS TERRIBLE. I would take a week of incapacitating pain each month and some cystic acne instead of being now overweight, acne and 90 straight days of bleeding."

staleb · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2019

"I've been taking Junel for 4 years and have always thought the pill worked great. No pregnancy, no weight gain, lighter periods, etc. But now I am starting to wonder if my more frequent hair loss is because of it. My hair was very thick before starting the pill and now I have average to thin hair. It has really thinned my hair out by my part line, to the point where I don't feel comfortable putting my hair in a high bun without a headband. I never put two and two together but I also have no sex drive since starting the pill. After reading these reviews, I'm starting to wonder if its all because of the pill."

Bloo91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2019

"I started this for birth control. I didn’t read the reviews but just went with the recommendation of my doctor. I’m glad I did that so I wasn’t paranoid and looking to overanalyze everything. I had some abdominal pain week 1. My weight has remained steady. Appetite the same. No mood swings. Acne has improved but my skin is still far from perfect. Whenever I take the placebo pills my acne flares up again. But I can’t complain. So far so good!"

1994 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2019

"I just finished my first month on Junel Fe 1/20. So far the only side effects are lack of sex drive and no emotions. Which is not normal for me. I have had an increase in appetite but no weight gain. The first 3 weeks my breast were super sore but that went away. I only took 2 days of the iron pill just because it causes bowel issues for me. But my period has been crazy light and no cramps which is great. Probably not going to take it anymore just due to lack of sex drive and no emotions."

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

"I started Junel Fe when I was told to and I immediately experienced bleeding. I bled for a month straight before my cycle started straightening out. My sex drive was basically nonexistent after I started the pill and the mood swings were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I was extremely depressed and would go through fits of rage. Worst birth control I have taken."

Mandy · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

"This pill is horrible! I’ve been feeling extremely dizzy to the point that I pass out. I’ve been really shaky and my ovary is killing me. To make it worse now I have been bleeding dark brown blood! Never take this poison!!!"

Nicole · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

"I started taking birth control because my cramps were awful and my periods were very heavy. Junel Fe helped a lot with the cramps and made my periods much lighter, but it made me really depressed. I figured it was maybe just a rut, but it went on for a couple weeks and I realized something wasn’t right. I started to have awful mood swings and was crying at least once a day. This went on for a couple months and I ended up switching to a different birth control because the mood swings and depression were not worth it."

nkk · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

"This pill was not a good fit for me. I experience many side effects that I have never experienced before, at least not like this. I was on Lutera before for three months, then used Junel for four months. Immediately after switching to Junel, my libido was basically non-existent. I was bloated all the time, and gained 5 pounds (even though I had been the same weight for almost 1.5 years). I was experiencing some mood swings in the evening, but not like when I was on Lutera. Junel claims to help with acne, but it did not help with my acne at all. While taking this pill, I experienced more acne than I had for like three or four years, but it did not affect acne to any extreme. I am switching to Ocella next week. Hopefully that will be a better experience."

A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 7, 2019

"I have an unlimited appetite and struggle to feel full. As long as I limit what’s on my plate (aka portion sizes) and exercise often, weight gain is not an issue. I’ve experienced minimal weight gain (less than 1 lb/month). Skin is clearer than it’s ever been. No mood swings. Overall, I’m impressed with Junel. Very effective contraceptive! Microgestin was a nightmare for me and did horrible things to my body. Happy to have switched!"

Beth · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 7, 2019

"I have been on this pill for almost two years. I have had daily headaches! It improved my periods (used to be very heavy and very painful) but some months I wouldn't have a period and every once in a while I would have a heavy few days. I weight 115 pounds when I started this pill and now I weight 150 pounds. The weight gain was fast and all in my stomach so people often ask me if I'm pregnant. I had excessive hair loss on this pill as well. So embarrassing! I have been off of this pill for about a week (and I didn't take the last week of 'sugar' pills) now and my face has broken out on my chin, my hair is no longer falling out in clumps, no headaches since quitting, and my weight has gone down 2 pounds."

Nickname · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 3, 2019

"I was on Junel for about 6 months and did not have a good experience. I had been taking Microgestin which I loved and my insurance company switched me to Junel. Microgestin cleared my acne, no noticeable mood swings and did it's job at preventing pregnancy. With Junel, I noticed a huge increase in general irritation with everyone and everything. I also started to become angry much more easily than ever before. I started to gain quite a bit of weight in my stomach and my acne started to come back. Junel is effective at preventing pregnancy, but the side effects are not worth it for me. I have already switched to a different form of birth control in the last few weeks and I feel much better. I feel much more calm and more like myself emotionally. If you have the option, I'd go with Microgestin instead."

PCOS · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 2, 2019

"I went on Junel Fe for about 1-2 years after my insurance no longer covered Lo Loestrin. I have PCOS and this was recommended by my OBGYN. I experienced some side effects such as nausea and stomach aches. The overall experience was okay, it did the job and made my periods lighter and less frequent. I ended up switching back to Lo Loestrin when my insurance covered it again."

Lencha · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2019

"I was prescribed junel fe to regulate my periods, so I could try and get pregnant next year. I have very heavy irregular periods and they last for 2-3 weeks. The first few days were okay. I went to the gym on day 3 and afterwards I had anxiety that ended up becoming a full on panic attack. I went to the hospital because I thought I was dying. Doctors ran tests and said I was fine but to follow up with doctor. I've had anxiety and depression since. I went to the doctor who prescribed me antidepressants and said that might be my birth control but I should try to stay on it until my body adjust. It's been 3 weeks and I'm almost done with my first pack and I can't do this anymore. I'm so depressed, I can't even do my job. I've also started my period already before I finished the pack and it's super heavy. I really don't recommend this birth control."

A · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 1, 2019

"Been on this for about 5 years. Never have had any problems or side effects. It’s effective for hormone regulation and birth control. Never have been on any other birth control."

ldmart June 26, 2019

"I read the reviews on Junel Fe 1/20 last year and got nervous, so I decided not to take it. After a false pregnancy scare, I finally went on board with trying it. I took it for two weeks and I got horrible acne (although I did have to stop my acne medicine, but when I forgot to take it occasionally anyways my breakouts were not this bad), felt more irritated, still have no sex drive, and I think it made me depressed, but I also had a stressful situation prior with my bf, so not sure which it was. I was on it for 2 weeks and a week and a half into the active pills I got a period which was still like another week and a half till the sugar/iron pills so I don't know what was happening. I got off it and hope to return to normal soon."

KC · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2019

"I have been on Junel Fe 1/20 for about a year. I haven't gotten a period in that entire time. Some spotting here and there but never a full-blown "it's that time of the month" period. I started getting horrible headaches as soon as I started this pill. I recently stopped taking this pill in May (because I wanted to regulate my cycle again and get my period/ also start trying to get pregnant) and yet to have my period come back and its almost July. I've read that sometimes it can take upwards to a year for your period to return. Junel Fe 1/20 worked in that I didn't get pregnant, it moderately controlled my acne and I didn't have any weight gain with it. But now my period isn't coming back seemingly anytime soon now that I'm off the pill and that concerns me. I will not return to using this even if I consider going back on the pill. Everyone's body is different and reacts differently to medications, but I suggest trying another brand of birth control before this one!"

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

"I started taking Junel Fe almost 2 months ago now & I would never recommend it to anyone. Ever since starting it I feel so depressed. It’s become a daily thing for me to get overly irritated and lash out at everyone around me and cry about absolutely nothing. My mood swings are horrible, the times when I am in a good mood are short lived and right back to feel sad and unmotivated. I have never had any major acne problems my whole life, now I break out pretty often. Already in the short amount of time I’ve started this birth control I’ve gained a lot of weight all in my stomach area and cannot lose it from working out either, not to mention that I’m 19 years old and have the sex drive of a 70 year old. Everyone’s body reacts to things differently but I really wish I would have came here and read most of the other reviews before starting this pill, would have really saved me from going through all this."

Bb1983 June 21, 2019

"DO NOT TAKE THIS! This was the WORST medication I have ever been prescribed and I have been prescribed A LOT! Within 1 week on this pill my mood swings were horrible, I had to move a chair into my bathroom because I was throwing up and retching so bad from it, I had to sit down. After the 2nd week I became beyond depressed and suicidal thoughts were non stop! Even in my darkest days of depression I have NEVER felt so completely devastated by life. I immediately stopped it and went back to Lo Loestrin, even tho my insurance doesn't cover it! Within 36 hrs of being off the pill I returned completely to normal!"

Skylar · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2019

"I took my first pill before at night and after 2 hours of taking it, I started to feel dizzy. I could not sleep very well that night either. The next day (about 12 hrs later) I got diarrhea, and had really bad nausea and migraine. It caused me to vomit all day long. I couldn't eat or drink anything without throwing it up. I was getting dehydrated and I had to go to the ER later that night to get fluids. I'm never taking this again!"

DJ June 21, 2019

"I was put on Junel to for endometrosis. My period was regulated and didn't think I had any side effects for a while. In 2016 I started having dizziness and would go blind in one eye each time a spell came on. I had a racing heart and sweats and was diagnosed with vertigo and was sent for rehab but the therapist said it didn't seem like vertigo to him. In 2018 I had a major heart attack out of the blue. No cholesterol issues, BP was always normal. I had a heart cath and a ruptured artery and 2nd heart attack during the procedure leading me to emergency heart surgery. I had respiratory failure and was on a breathing machine until next day. The dr said my arteries looked good and speculated it was a clotting issue. The hematologist came in and asked me how long I had been on Junel and told me she had seen cases like mine from Junel. I have a lot of heart damage that I'm told will never be healed. I'm on a medication trial right now to see if I can avoid a defibrillator."

Frustrated June 20, 2019

"Junel Fe 1/20 is the first birth control I am trying ever. I started it in the beginning of March. I used to have cramps that would have me throwing up and all that jazz. This helped with it, I will still occasionally get cramps though. The first menstrual period I got lasted about 15 days with spotting in the last 5 days. My second menstrual period began, oh, about 30 days ago now. I am still spotting and have been for the past 15 days!! Besides this awfulness, I have not gained any weight, I have no more acne than I did before. Occasionally I will get angry or sad for no reason. Same goes for sex drive, some days I am really feeling it while other days I want to do nothing."

Tn6202019 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 20, 2019

"I switched from lo Loestrin to Nuva ring, and once Jan 2018 rolled around my new insurance only paid for generic brands so I switched to Junel Fe. The first month I cried for no reason and was irritated and angry. The first few months I had cystic acne on my chin and I gained 20+ pounds on this pill. By June (6 months later) I started dieting on a 1000 calorie diet and lost no weight, instead I gained an additional 8 pounds. In November I was still crying for no reason. I had a regular period most months on this pill. It prevented pregnancy but I was bloated constantly and my boobs got bigger. I had a yeast infection every cycle. I called my doctor once I got new insurance and switched to Lo Loestrin. I just finished my first 28 day pack of lo Loestrin and I am already not experiencing any mood swings and I’m down 5 pounds. No more acne this month or bloating. When taking Junel fe just be aware of any changes! Listen to those close to you if they notice weight gain or mood swings."

Mariah · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

"I’m 48, I took Junel Fe 1/20 for irregular period, no gain weight, no pimples , no depression, but I got melasma on my face, the rest I said is good, it change my life for better!"

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

"Worst birth control EVER! I’ve been moody, nauseous, no appetite, dizzy, weak and hot. How is this pill even FDA approved?"

CB20 June 10, 2019

"I was on this birth control for two weeks and experienced mood swings, cramps, an infection and spots of bleeding. I immediately asked for a change in medicine."