User Reviews for Junel Fe 1 / 20 to treat Birth Control

Junel Fe 1/20 Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Junel Fe 1/20

"I started this pill because my lower dosage was giving me issues but I will try that pill again. This pill, Junel Fe, is absolutely horrific. If I'm not spotting, I have a yeast infection. There is no break for me. Once the yeast infection is gone, I get my period. Then the cycle continues. I have had THREE yeast infections in the past month and a half. Talked to my gyno and she said this is probably what is causing the yeast infections, as there is a higher dose of estrogen. Definitely would not recommend. The stars are only because it did prevent pregnancy."

Disappointed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

"My OBGYN prescribed this specific pill for me because I haven’t been on birth control since I was 19 ( I’m 25 now). He said it would be easy going for me because it’s basically the mildest form of BC I can take. My first month on the pill was rough, I felt so nauseous especially the hour before I’m suppose to take my BC. I had constant headaches & tender breast (the doctor warned me of that & said it should subside after the 1st month, it didn’t). My breast grew after the 2nd month on the pill, but my anxiety also heightened. I had 3 panic attacks during my 2nd month. I was thankful that my period was lighter. Haven’t had sex since I’ve been on the pill, I’d say it has lowered my sex drive only because it’s made me so depressed, anxious and forgetful that I don’t even think about sex. I’m too moody. 3rd month was awful and I hit a real low, I’ve become more critical of myself, and unhappy with everything in my life."

Coco April 8, 2019

"This BC made me sick. I’ve had severe stomach pains and vomiting. I don’t recommend."

Mellowyellow26 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

"This was my first experience with birth control ever. The only reason I'm not giving it a 0 is because I didn't get pregnant the two years I was on it. However I did managed to gain 100lbs (no joke) taking this and many other weird health issues arose taking this. I've NEVER had such an issue with my weight or my health. Once I got off it "shockingly" my health has improved."

Ann (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2019

"I was taking Junel 1/20 for 3 months . First month went very well and I had no side effects hence I continued taking pills . It is working well to prevent pregnancy but on the 2nd month I felt side effects of it . I was very moody and could easily start crying all of sudden. I experienced some bleeding between periods which didn't make me feel comfortable but I knew it was a side effect so I didn't pay much attention to it . One night during making love we noticed bleeding again. And it kept bothering me for the next 2 days . And on the 3rd month of taking pills my breast became very tender and I experienced pain and lump in the breast . I went for ultrasound everything seems well so far but my gut feeling tell me to stop taking this pills because I don't like what it s doing to my body ."

Phool March 30, 2019

"I've been on it for nearly two months now. First month was fine, and my period was amazing. I normally have AWFUL periods with so much pain I vomit and HEAVY bleeding but the pill made all of that stop. But now going on month two there isn't a day that goes by where I don't feel ill. Dizzy, nauseous, headaches, mood swings, really weird dissociation, abdominal pain and cramping – I'm going to stop taking the pill immediately because I can't take it. I would rather have a week a month of an awful period than feeling like this everyday. I might try another kind of birth control but I'm hesitant because I don't want to go through this again, and I'm only using it to regulate my period so I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it."

pineapplepie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

"I was on a Junel for a year and 3 months. In that time I have gained approx 30 pounds. The first 3-4 months were bad as expected (my Dr said it would take that long to adjust). Breakouts, depressed, constantly nauseous, sore boobs, etc. After that initial period, things did get better and I started to feel normal again. However, after 6 months, I began to have extremely irregular periods. I would go 3 months with nothing, then have 3 periods within one month. My skin started breaking out again. Worst of all, one week before the gyno appt I made to switch to a diff type of BC, I found out I was pregnant while on Junel Fe!!!"

Ashley (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2019

"First time I took this pill, I felt nauseated all day long. I went back to my doctor and she advised me to take it at night instead. I’ve been taking the pill before bed time for the past 2 weeks and I feel a lot better. I quickly fall asleep after taking it. Sometimes I still feel nauseated in the morning but just very minimal and tolerable compared to when I was taking it in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

"At first this bc was great. It was the very first type of bc that my doctor prescribed to me and I had no complaints the first month. When the second month hit I had missed a day so the next morning I took two (I had done hours of research on what to do if I missed a day and thats what it said to do). During that day I had felt a little weird but I kinda brushed it off. A couple hours later I was sitting in class and it was like the feelings of being extreme nauseousness came in huge waves. I HAD to go home ASAP. When I was walking to the office to dismiss myself I dry heaved in the middle of the hallway in front of so many people. I was shaking and dizzy and crying it was AWFUL. This bc just didn't agree with my body. I am now on my 6th month of the Glenmark Norethindrone bc and I'm doing much better. Norethindrone is a mini pill which only contains one hormone (instead of two)."

Madelyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2019

"I had a not so great of an experience with this pill. It definitely made my period lighter, didn’t make me break out or anything, and didn’t get me pregnant, which was good. But it came with a lot of side effects, the first 2 months I was extremely moody/ sad and just wasn’t myself but that went away in the mean time. I'm small and built pretty athletic and I still gained about 10 pounds. I would get my period twice a month which I thought was normal for the first month or so but 6 months went by and I’d still be getting it twice a month. I just switched over to nortrel which hopefully will stop the breakthrough bleeding. Don’t be afraid to try Junel FE out though, everyone’s body takes things differently, I’d say give it at least 3 months to get used to it then if your still having issues I’d advise you to change."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2019

"I was on Junel Fe 1/20 for 3 years and never had any issues with it. I then switched to the copper IUD and then paraguard IUD for 6 months which caused excessive hair loss for me and a hormone imbalance so I switched back to Junel 1/20. I've been on it for about 2 months now and the first week I had bad cramping but since then I have had no issues. My skin is clear, my moods are actually better, I've lost a few pounds."

EM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2019

"I have been taking this pill for 9 months. I don’t know how I made it through the first three months because I was constantly dizzy, nauseous/ throwing up, I gained 10 pounds and I started feeling sad and irritated all the time. Well it’s 9 months now and most of the symptoms have gone away but I am still really depressed. My mood swings are off the charts and I lack motivation for anything. It regulated my period which is really great but I don’t think it’s worth my mental health. I’m going off it it."

Anonymous March 15, 2019

"I was on Junel for 3 years. First 2 months I was VERY emotional, but after everything evened out I saw some positive things. Gained a little weight (I was fine with it because it went directly to my boobs and butt), helped my acne (still broke out around my period), also COMPLETELY STOPPED BLEEDING. No cramping--nothing. Which is kinda weird but my doc said it was fine. Imagine not having to buy tampons for 3 years. All-in-all pretty neat. I moved to another country so unfortunately I have to switch to another bc..."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2019

"STAY AWAY from Junel1/20 !! One month after taking developed calf pain (if this happens, immediately seek medical attention). Three months in, chest pain/ short of breath. Went to ER and they found massive bilateral pulmonary embolisms and three clots in my legs. I COULD HAVE DIED. I have NO risk factors (under 35, non-smoker, healthy eater, gym 5x week). Stay away from all hormonal birth control!!!!!"

Katie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2019

"Horrible persistent headaches!"

Pat (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2019

"WEIGHT GAIN!!! I’ve been on this Junel Fe 1/20 for about 1 and a half weeks now and the changes I’ve seen in my weight are not pleasing to me. I weighed about 134 pounds when I started the pill and now I weight 143. I’ve haven’t seen much change in my acne but I have noticed that all of my psychological feelings for significant other have instantly gone away. So weird and I will probably stop taking this pill. Junel, unlike other stronger birth controls, does not make me sick or nauseous. Surprisingly, this pill has actually made me a happier person but I am not happy with my physical results. If you don’t mind a little weight gain than this pill might be a good choice for you."

Amber (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

"Pharmacy switched me to Junel from Microgestin after several years and I thought nothing of it. I have been on it for about 5 months and from the first month developed an itchy rash that has been progressively getting worse and worse each month. Took me the full 5 months to figure out what I was allergic to...Junel! If it is supposed to be the same medication, why would I get a terrible itchy rash all over my torso from taking it?? After reading the other reviews, I can see now why I was having some really weird period mood swings with lots of crying. Thanks Junel!!! I'm going back to Microgestin thankfully:)"

msheilamm (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2019

"DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL. I took this pill for one week and I'm already experiencing some side effects. I have been throwing up for the past week every morning. I am not able to eat. I haven't gotten my period. Oh and I've been having severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea."

Samantha (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2019

"I just started this pill on the second day of my period. I’m now in the beginning of the 3rd week of it, and I can say the side effects I’ve noticed is bloating, boobs have gotten bigger (which is nice for me because they were super small before) and I think my acne has cleared up. I haven’t noticed any moodiness or depression which is what I was worried about"

Lizzy March 4, 2019

"Literally no sex drive. Kiss on the cheek?? Nah. Whole sex?? No way."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2019

"Switched from Microgestin and worked exactly the same for me! I just switched to a new medicine but never had issues on this."

Mday (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2019

"This was prescribed to me by my psychiatrist because I had major mood swings and worsening depression during my periods that affected my daily life. I can say that I've been on this birth control for almost 2 years and I really enjoy it. I've had some months where I bleed a normal amount, but mostly just brown discharge and that's it. Lighter period= less depression and PMSing. I see a lot of bad reviews on this drug, but I used to get really heavy periods and it was so bad, especially bleeding on my pants at school a few times and constantly having to use the bathroom every hour. If your looking for a lighter period. This is it! As for acne, don't really think it helped or broke me out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2019

"I was taking Microgestin but then my pharmacy switched me to this god awful pill Junel Fe 1/20 when insurance could not cover the Microgestin. This pill sucks. I have been miserable. I have gained a lot of weight EVEN though I eat healthy and exercise daily. I am crying constantly, mood swings, etc. I am barely bleeding on my period and cramping only a little, but that is the only plus side of this medication. DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL"

Mel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2019

"I have been on this pill for 2 and a half weeks now. I was on Microgestin and doing just fine but the doctors switched me since it was unavailable. I am having the worst chest pain. Its the left side and behind my breast bone. I have been having palpitations, my heart has pounded and I thought I was having a heart attack until reading some of these reviews. Glad to know I'm not crazy."

Bri February 26, 2019

"I was on Lo Loestrin( Ethinyl estradiol 0.01mg and Norethindrone Acetate 1.0mg for 24 days, then just the EE for 2 days, then sugar pills a week) for years until insurance changed and would not cover it any longer. I was put on Junel (ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg and Norethindrone Acetate 1mg 21 days then placebo pills a week) a month ago and I can’t take it anymore. My symptoms have been bad cramping, awful acne (my face looks like it did when I was in middle school), pain in my left leg/muscle and in my right arm, and starting last week i have been breaking out in terrible hives. I’ve never had an allergic reaction to anything before. At first I thought it was maybe my laundry detergent but I’ve switched and I’m still breaking out in hives. Everyones body is definitely different but I’ve never had such bad reactions from birth control before. "

Anonymous February 20, 2019