User Reviews for Junel Fe 1 / 20

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Junel Fe 1/20.

Birth Control
5.1

Summary of Junel Fe 1/20 reviews 5.1 244 reviews

Reviews for Junel Fe 1/20

For Birth Control "Although this birth control prevented me from getting pregnant, it also significantly decreased my sex drive, to the point where I’d ask myself, “what’s the point of being on birth control if I never want to have sex with my boyfriend anyway?” That isn’t the worst part though. I’ve been on this pill for a little over a year and I’ve never felt more tired and depressed. I feel empty and lifeless, and I don’t have any interest in the things I used to love. I didn’t experience much weight gain, maybe a slight increase in appetite, minimal anxiety. My skin is definitely better, but nothing to write home about. I’m stopping this birth control today, and I’m hopeful I’ll start feeling like myself again."

Nicknamealreadyinuse November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on Junel FE 1/20 for almost 3 years mainly to treat my Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and for birth control. I took it consistently and I never got pregnant during this time and my cysts did get smaller. I also noticed that I gradually got less acne to the point where I only have 1 or 2 breakouts per month now (but I had acne before I even started the pill). My breasts grew 1 cup bigger for the first 2 years. However, after the 1st year, I noticed that my periods became very light and I would miss my periods for consecutive months. I noticed that my breasts went back to its original size during the third year. Also, I lost my sex drive in the third year due to dryness in my vagina, so I decided to switch."

Emmy813 November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking this for over 2 years now. Since taking it, I have had less frequent, lighter periods. Yes, there was an adjustment period of about 2-3 months where I was more sensitive/emotional. I don't want anyone to get discouraged by this as most birth controls take about a full year for your body to get used to. HOWEVER, if it is severe and affecting your every day functioning, then yes, by all means try a different birth control. But adjustments and side effects are normal; you are putting hormones into your body. Anyway, this birth control has served it's purpose as my boyfriend and I do not use condoms: we use a combination birth control method of oral contraceptives on my part and "the pull out method" on his part."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started Junel to try & have shorter, more regular periods. I'm on my 5th month using it now. For the first 3 months I would spot for the entire week before my period would actually start, but I stuck with it since they say your body takes time to get used to it. I don't have that issue anymore but I have gained at least 11 lbs in the last 2 months & I'm the type that does not gain weight easily (I've probably gained about a pound a year since 2007). I've been wanting to gain weight but this came on kinda suddenly so I'm a little worried"

Bst November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm about to complete my 3rd week in my 21 day pack. I've been consistently bleeding since starting the pill and experienced excruciating cramps during the first week. Since then, I've only had light cramping here and there but have been spotting every single day (very annoying as I have to wear panty liners every single day and change them often as it's not exactly light spotting). However, I haven't noticed any weight gain nor increase in acne. One thing that is interesting is the complaints of decrease in libido, which I can't exactly say if I've been experiencing it or not since I've been bleeding. I haven't been all that excited to jump into bed with my boyfriend so it might just be because of that but I can't tell."

AliK09 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Every women's body is different... Try it for yourself than make your own decision."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this for a little over a month. I thought I was going crazy until I realized it was the BC. It made me extremely depressed and irritable. I’m already on lexapro for depression and was doing fine. I have not wanted to do anything but sleep and eat. I'm not one to be lazy and I haven’t been able to make myself do anything. I cannot curb my appetite, therefore I’ve gained prob 10 lbs in a month. I definitely do not recommend this for anyone that may be susceptible to depression. It took away my sex drive as well. Yes, I didn’t have a period which was nice but totally not worth the weight and craziness."

Ashem October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill about 5 months ago to regulate my period. 10 days, sometimes super late or early, extreme headaches, cramping, nausea and vomiting from pain. This pill helped regulate my periods very well. Reading through these other bad experiences, it's weird. I've noticed nothing wrong. No acne, no weight loss or gain... mood swings are unsure, mainly because I had a traumatic incident in July and then again just 2 weeks ago, along with having chronic illnesses. Same with the sex drive; I haven't noticed much due to not paying attention and then traumatic experience. I personally really like it, although the extra iron is pointless."

Tziporah October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been using Junel FE 1/20 for six years and LOVE it. I have never experienced any side effects and am able to skip my period every month."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Everyones body is different, but I would not recommend this pill. My sex drive became COMPLETELY nonexistent while on Junel- to the point were I was starting to question my sexuality in general. Unneeded stress was put on my long term relationship and was very difficult for my boyfriend to understand. I know this might not be a concern for everyone, but know that this may be a very real side-effect for you on Junel and if this affect you the same then DON'T USE JUNEL. Some pros for me: I never experienced weight gain on the pill or any acne issues. Cons: sex drive gone, irregular periods (even being on this pill for more that a year), more aggressive mood. I got off this pill as soon as I could and now have an IUD."

Emma S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on this birth control for over 3 years now, and it has been amazing for me. I tried Sprintec and had crazy mood swings and depression. After switching to this my life has completely changed. I have very regular periods (I know that I will start in the morning on Tuesday of my period week), and my periods have gotten much lighter and shorter. I used to bleed heavily for 7-9 days, so this birth control has worked wonders. I don't think it has made me gain weight, but it is hard to tell as I graduated college and took a desk job a few years ago which influences weight as well. All in all I have only gained around 10 lbs whether it be due to the birth control or taking the desk job. I would highly recommend."

1234567988 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had a mixed experience with Junel Fe. At first I was so relieved because I had no side effects. No weight gain, mood changes, or anything negative and it cleared up my acne/regulated my periods. However, about 5 months in, I started having really bad mood changes. I cried all the time for no reason. I felt insane. It was awful. This medication may work for some people, but if you take Junel Fe and have these side effects, ask your doc to change your medication."

Wolfie2000 October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking Junel FE for about four months. At first I thought it was amazing . I had always suffered from acne since I was a middle schooler and it made all my acne go away (except for when I was about to get my period). Until the crazy came. If I ever missed the pill even by a few hours I would break out like crazy the next day. It also gave me crazy water weight that I could never get rid of right around my belly. It also put me in terrible moods all the time and every month was worse than the one before. Its nearly ruining my relationship from all the arguments (which isn't normal for us) , I immediately stopped when me and my doctor came to the conclusion that it was the pills and prescribed me a different set. Stay away !!!"

Senpai (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill literally made me miserable. Obviously everybody is different, but I felt absolutely awful the entire time I was taking it. Almost immediately after starting this pill, I began to have vicious headaches for days at a time. I also felt nauseous for a good portion of the day, and had no appetite. Maybe because of this, my energy basically disappeared, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I also started retaining a ton of water, which made me feel even more lethargic. I continued to bleed and have cramps throughout the entire pack, and I would frequently feel dizzy. On top of all of this, my mood was all over the place, and I started having anxiety that manifested as tightness in my chest and difficulty breathing."

ck346 October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Worst birth control I've ever taken. It made me angry, moody, cranky and emotional, I've had cramps everyday since I started taking it and now I'm spotting constantly -almost daily. I also gained 8 pounds in the 1st 3 weeks of taking it. I stopped taking taking it after the first month because it had so many negative side effects. I've never had issues like this in 35 years from birth control pills... SMH"

Jes927 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I went on this for my intense period cramps. When I first started it, I immediately started spotting-which is a common side effect. However the flow was heavy, I had severe cramps that made me feel nauseous and I was SUPER moody. I was easily irritated which got me into a few heated arguments. However, I barely felt any cramps and flow was light. No sign of weight gain nor acne changes either. The next few months, it felt like I wasn’t even on the pill, since my period cramps returned, my face broke out with more pimples, my appetite grew, and I was bloated all the time. The spotting with cramps returned and when I contacted my doctor, she gave me the option to try it for one more month. But I had enough and I switched brands."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking this pill for ~ 1 year and I can honestly say it’s been a good experience in general. I had some mild breakouts the first couple months, but now my skin is mostly smooth apart from getting a few hormonal breakouts in the week leading up to the placebo pills. Extremely light and short periods, no spotting unless I forget and take my pill too late, no weight gain, and no decreased sex drive that I’ve noticed. When I was prescribed this pill for my extremely painful cramps, I read the reviews for Junel and was terrified to start taking the pills, but I’m glad I stuck with it!"

Not like the horror stories!!! October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control was doing well for me. No weight gain, but I noticed since I began taking it, I had very vivid, disturbing dreams. I continued this pill because I thought I could deal with the strange dreams, but I wish I would've stopped. It put so much stress on my body that I started losing hair. I noticed random spots of missing hair on my head that turned into full blown alopecia areata. Lost a ton of my hair, a few big spots and a good amount of my eyebrows. Avoid this pill!"

x (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Worst birth control ever!! Started taking it and literally everything went downhill. It made my face break out with lots of big pimples that looked like cysts that wouldn't go away. I was in a super terrible moody 24/7, got annoyed very easily, and completely lost my sex drive. Not to mention the super bad cramps and the fact that I bled for probably 3 weeks straight during the month I was on it. Just stopped taking it because it's literally ruined my life and my poor boyfriend has had to deal with my hideous mood and disinterest in sex for too long. HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND"

erinlynn October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is by far the WORST pill ever. I was on zovia and I absolutely loved it, and they stopped making it so I switched and they put me on this and when I started taking it I was bleeding for two weeks straight, and I figured it was just an adjustment period, also I would cry all the time, I wasn't sad or upset, nothing happened, I just couldn't help it I always was holding back the urge to cry. So after that lovely two week blood bath I had like five days without bleeding and then it started all over, so I've been bleeding for a month straight, and I want to cry all the time."

wpe September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill for 10 months and I completely lost my sex drive - it wouldn't be a bad thing for people who are single but I am in a committed relationship. The lack of intimacy started to make me question about how I feel and it brought guilt to me. I thought it was normal for couples who have been dating for years but later found out it was because of the birth control.."

vermeilyn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill absolutely ruined my complexion and muscle tone. It triggered severe melasma in my face and aggressive cellulite on the top of my thighs that I have spent thousands of dollars trying to get under control. I have brown patches all over my forehead, nose and upper lip. It never goes away, the best you can hope is to get it under control. I will have to stay out of the sun for the rest of my life - and I was only 35 at the onset of this. In regards to the cellulite - I eat clean, I exercise daily and am extremely active. My physician agrees both of these side effects are directly related to this pill. Unless you are willing to risk getting two extremely unattractive and incurable conditions STAY AWAY!"

AntiJunel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking Junel over 2 years now to help regulate my PMS and periods. I only do a seasonal period 4 times a year. It has really helped with me cramps and mood swings. I did gain some weight though... My doctors are taking me off of it now. They want to see if the Junel is causing my high blood pressure or not. If it isn't the culprit I will be going right back on that pill. It worked for me."

VF (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on June fe for 8 months now, at first I thought it was great! No more cramps, no acne (unless I was about to start), hadn't gotten pregnant. So perfect right? Well. For the past 3-4 months I have been in nothing but HORRIBLE moods. Like lock myself in my room so I don't have to talk to anyone and when I do it turns into an argument. I'll lay in bed and think really horrible thoughts also. I'll get random burst of anxiety and sweat my butt off. I've gained over 13lbs since the pill, and even if I went to the gym it seemed like a never ending cycle of gain and lose. So overall I'm not pleased with my experience with this pill. I highly advise to not take if you have ANY history of depression or anxiety of ANY sort."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Worst birth control I have ever taken. Went on it to regulate my period and stop my horrible cramps. Yes it did the job but gave me massive anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. Was on it for about a month and a half and stopped immediately. My sex drive completely disappeared and still took a while to come back after I stopped taking this pill. I was moody 24/7 and not in a good mental state. Worst stuff I have ever taken."

Sccccxxvsheidj September 7, 2017