User Reviews for Orsythia

Orsythia has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 233 ratings on Drugs.com. 35% of those users who reviewed Orsythia reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Ovarian Cysts  Off-label 7.5
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding  Off-label 5.8
Birth Control   5.4
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome  Off-label 3.0
Endometriosis  Off-label 1.0
Summary of Orsythia reviews 5.4 233 reviews

Reviews for Orsythia

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

For Birth Control: “This birth control is awful. My pharmacy switched me over to orsythia from Larissa and I’ve gotten my period twice this month 10 days apart from each other and both periods were no different from when I wasn’t on the pill (if anything worse)”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking Orsythia last month cause my periods would last 13 days. When I took the placebo it made my period last 7 days which is still very long for someone taking birth control. I’ve also experienced emotion outburst out of no where that I was crying for over 2 hours and my eyes were so puffy. It made me loose like 4 pounds and my skin is clear now but before my skin would started breaking out. I overall would take another one and after I finish my 3rd pack that I have been given then I'm going to switch.”

Jus · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2019

For Birth Control: “This birth control is awful! I had my insurance switched when I changed jobs... After 3 weeks of taking this pill my life changed! I am in a deep deep depression like never before and I've tried thinking what could possibly be making me feel this way! Well I figured it out. I'm never taking these again. Not only have I been super depressed but I've also lost 5lbs and I've been non stop bleeding since starting it!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 6, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on Orsythia for 2 years and everything was perfect! (Other than a few small break though bleeding) I got on it for birth control and to help cysts and it sure did the job. It also cleared my acne, helped me lose weight, lightened my periods, got rid of my cramps. My skin was so glowy all the time and my hair was so shiny. Than my pharmacy switched me to Larissa (worst BC I’ve ever taken did all the opposite of Orsythia) I recommend Orsythia to everybody 10/10 other than the small bleeding”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

For Birth Control: “Horrible drug. Discontinued after one week. Nausea, swollen feet and hands, and extreme mood swings.”

Kc · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’ve used this pill for 3 years now. I’ve experience depression, cramping , towards the end of the pack I get extreme nausea prior to my period . Not sure what that is but you get used to it . This month I noticed my pack changed. I'm 4 days in and on my 3rd day my pill taste disgusting ! I thought maybe I had something on my hands but it happened again tonight ! The pill literally taste like poison!!! I almost threw up. I had to brush my teeth and tongue immediately to get the taste out . Furthermore , I’ve been coughing since Monday and have a taste in my mouth. I think I now owe this to the pill . I am not sure what they did with the change but the colors of the pills are now 21 white and 7 pink placebo. It used to be pink for 22. Also the packet is smaller that’s fine . Except something is different . I’m going to try to take one from a different pack tomorrow and see if it’s my pack or not but I’m thinking something is up .”

cactuslover104 March 3, 2019

For Birth Control: “I started taking this birth control about 3 months ago. I’m currently sexually active which is the reason I’ve started taking it. It has done a very good job preventing pregnancy, and did well keeping my periods regulated for the first two months. Towards the end of January I noticed spotting, which my doctor said was normal. I didn’t get my period until the 4th of February (which isn’t normal. I usually get my period towards the end of the month). Now I’m in the same boat as last month except I’ve had absolutely no spotting, and it’s the 4th and I still haven’t gotten my period. I haven’t missed any pills at all. I have also noticed that I’ve had terrible mood swings. I’ve also had acne, and now I have a rash on both arms which can’t be caused by my laundry detergent, body wash, or lotions because I’ve been using the same brand/ scent since before getting on birth control. It does prevent pregnancy though.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2018

For Birth Control: “Suffered from severe hair loss, & also got pregnant while using. Would rate a 0/10 if possible.”

RinaD · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2018

For Birth Control: “Ok so I’ve been in Orsythia for 2 years until my doc switched me over to Larissia (do not go on Larissia!). Orsythia I have only one major complaint and that is hair loss! Once I started going on it, I’ve noticed within two months my hair was starting to thin out and I currently have a few bald spots on my head. There’s so many pros to this birth controls such as: not getting pregnant, light and short periods, no cramps, no acne, no weight gain or water retention, no indigestion problems...it’s absolutely perfect! But I had to completely stop using birth control overall due to my hair loss. I’m going to look into no hormone IUD or Paragards and I hope I have better luck with those.”

Newbie · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2018

For Birth Control: “I'm a newbie to birth control and have never tried any other contraceptives other then condoms before. This pill does the trick. I broke out the first week, which is to be expected. Have actually lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks due to this pill. No water retention after 2 weeks. No tummy ache after a few days. My skin is clear, I'm not moody, I'm sleeping better and I've not gotten pregnant. A++”

M · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 7, 2018

For Birth Control: “Effectively protected me from pregnancy and made my periods very regular, but that's about all the good things I can say for this BC. On this birth control, I've gained exactly 65 pounds- no significant lifestyle changes. Also, gave me terrible mood swings the week before and the week of my period, and before starting this BC, I hardly ever experienced mood swings. I feel that I've given this BC plenty of time to stabilize, and for my body to get used to it, as I've been on it for about 3 years now. But I can't take the side effects anymore, so I'm switching.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2018

For Birth Control: “OH MY GOD. Worst birth control ever. My insurance switched my birth control about a year ago. I have experienced such horrible anxiety it is unbelievable. At first I thought it was just me, but nooooo way. I was even put on anxiety medication which has not helped me at all. It has almost ruined my relationship. Yes my periods are shorter and my cramps are finally gone, but it’s not worth it. I am switching immediately. Oh and yes it does a great job protecting pregnancy. But like I said, I’d rather feel sane and keep my relationship.”

Yuh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 15, 2018

For Birth Control: “I'm currently on Orsythia for PMDD and giving me more time between periods. It has worked great for me as a period lightener and sort of an antidepressant (though I'm currently on one as well) but the beginning was rough. I bled for I think 11 days straight and had horrible pain in my abdomen that I think was an ovarian cyst that went away. My issue is that when I'm on the sugar pills, my depression and mood swings do get worse and I hate how thick the uterine lining gets. I'm currently looking into getting nexplanon to treat my PMDD.”

Hrm · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2018

For Birth Control: “This is by far the absolute worst birth control. It does it's job at preventing pregnancy but everything else is just awful. A week into it I was ready to stop taking it! I had awful headaches and strong cramping and stayed nauseous. I gained a good bit of weight immediately face broke out and I was like it's just side affects it will go away when it gets in my system good. So I continue to take it. I stopped after completing the first pack. I had felt like a crazy person my anxiety was through the roof I was having mood swings, I didn't care about life, I went into an awful depression and I was like nope can't do this I knew it was the meds. So I stopped and little by little my stomach pains went away, the headaches were gone, my face started to clear up and I started my period again a week later and all the swelling went down my mood swings everything. But I have currently been bleeding none stop extremely heavy for 2 weeks now no pains or anything,”

stick with sronyx · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2018

For Birth Control: “This pill makes me want to eat everything!!!”

Laughalot320 · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2018

For Birth Control: “I took this medicine for a week and my migraines were so bad to the point of standing up and almost passing out. I had such bad food cravings and couldn’t stop eating. I stopped taking it and five days later I got my period and it was MUCH lighter so I guess that’s a good thing.”

obfinatic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 23, 2018

For Birth Control: “I've been on this birth control for a year now. My doctor switched me to this birth control, mainly because Syronx was no longer being covered by tricare. At first I was a little skeptical about the switch and continually asked my doctors to switch me back to the brand I was already familiar with, but nothing was really different other than the packaging. I have the usual PMS symptoms (way lighter than when I wasn't on the pill) a few days before a withdrawal bleed, and I also noticed that my periods were actually timely. I knew exactly when they would happen. My reason for giving it only 9 stars is because I don't like the packing. Truthfully I gained weight after starting this pill, but I actually think it's helped me gain A LOT of muscle. The weight I gained isn't fat or water weight. I lift, and I have never seen my muscles so define till now. I also used to be be underweight, so from 90 lbs to a healthy 120 lbs. That's outstanding.”

Shayze August 19, 2018

For Birth Control: “Worst birth control by far. It was 100 percent effective at preventing pregnancy but the side effects were awful. I was switched to after taking lutera for 3 years because the health department ran out of lutera. First off the first month I took it I constantly had a yeast infection. I ended up having break through bleeding and periods that last at least a week. The other downside. I took it for several months and out of nowhere had such terrible breast pain and nausea I was convinced I was pregnant. It was that bad. They were never sensitive at all just achy. Then I had chest pains. Also the weight gain was awful and made me feel like a cow. The worst part was the anxiety and emotional roller coaster. After taking it for several months I noticed my anxiety was at an all time high and caused me to become so stressed out.”

ekf August 13, 2018

For Birth Control: “Just finished my first month on this pill and have no serious complaints so far!! I have had horror stories of past birth controls (having continuous bleeding for a month straight, debilitating cramps, 7 pounds of water weight/bloating within a months time) but so far so good with Orsythia! I have always been a highly anxious person and while I do notice occasional mood swings (presumably because my body is still adjusting), I feel as though I have been much happier and less stressed. I have been eating very healthy and exercising (thankful for no insane cravings), but I haven't noticed any weight loss yet. I attribute this to a few pounds of water weight but I expect that it will dissipate as my body fully adjusts to the pill. Overall I feel as though this pill has had little to no impact on my day-to-day life!! minimal cramps, no headaches, no spotting, same sex drive. Seems like a dream so far!! Keep in mind everyone's bodies are different”

Dean August 4, 2018

For Birth Control: “Oh dear the weight gain and fluid retention!! In two weeks I gained ten pounds and my stomach hurt all the time. As of today I quit this pill.”

ginabina · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2018

For Birth Control: “I used this birth control for about 10 months before getting off of it. While on it, I must say it did very good at managing my periods. I did not have a heavy flow or a lot of pain. This was very nice, because I usually have rough periods. However, I did notice that my libido lowered and I was more dry. I also gained weight while on it and really struggled to lose it. Honestly getting off it was the best for me. While my rough periods did return, everything else went back to normal as well. I'm definitely looking into a different option post pregnancy.”

Kristenchic2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2018

For Birth Control: “I’ve used it for over a year and here recently been getting off of it and back on. The pills are definitely effective when it comes to preventing pregnancy, however when I got off of it, I lost about 5lbs within the first week of being off. I would say these pills do make you gain water weight, I know this because change in boob size from being on to being off. Also I feel like possibly slows metabolism (making it hard to lose weight and making it easy to gain weight). I’m only 26 years old, I know my metabolism is slowing but it shouldn’t be this hard to lose weight especially when I exercise multiple times a day and watch what I eat. So keep in mind his birth control among many are steroids and affect your body. And that is how it’s effected mine. Also I have felt exhausted and extremely tired everyday. I have no energy which is not my usual self.”

Eaw0116 June 7, 2018

For Birth Control: “Orsythia is my first birth control and have been taking it for a year now. I started out with tender and growing boobs for a couple months which is fine and have gained weight because it makes me crave food. However, my periods are a lot lighter, always on time, and no cramps. My acne slightly subsided, but I breakout bad on my chin right before my period. A little more irritable and emotional, but so worth it. I’m too scared to switch bc all other BC reviews are horrible. After a while, my boobs went back to normal size.”

Steph17 May 31, 2018

For Birth Control: “I’ve been taking Orsythia for years. There was a brief period when the pharmacy tried to switch me to another brand, but I experienced many negative side effects and requested to switch back. I’ve always considered myself to be a high-anxiety person, but the past year or so (on and off) my anxiety has been out of control. I’ve experienced more panic attacks during that time than in my entire life. I’ve had many check-ups and even wore a heart monitor to rule out other medical issues. At this point, I feel like I’m going crazy. I don’t know why I never considered the BC could be elevating my anxiety through the years. As far as managing my cramps, this pill has been great and has given me a much lighter period. I’m curious if anyone has had similar issues? I’ve regularly experienced nausea in the past, but it seems this pill is suddenly changing for me now.”

Tori · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 25, 2018

For Birth Control: “I have been on this birth control since I was 12 ( due to really bad cramps) and stopped taking it when I was 19 years old because I had to get new insurance. After my first year off of it I broke out really bad which was when I realized I hormonal acne and I felt anxiety not being on it. I think people forget this is a hormonal birth control pill. So if you have a hormonal imbalance such as acne I highly recommend or if you have really bad cramps. Give it a try it because everyone’s bodies are not the same! So happy I’m back on it!!”