User Reviews for Orsythia

Learn more about Orsythia.

Orsythia Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Orsythia to treat Birth Control

"Pill worked well at preventing pregnancy but I would bleed for 3-5 weeks straight. It was awful and made me very very very cranky and moody."

LadyKJ July 14, 2016

"I just started taking this not to long ago and when I was supposed to get my first period it never came and I've never had a missed period (it could have been hormones but my lifestyle and stress levels didn't really change) and when I got my 2nd period on this pill I barely bleed. My acne has been so much worse I feel like I'm back in high school. Can't remember the last time I wore foundation and now I wear it everyday. Funny thing is I take medication already for my face, so you would have thought my doctor would have use common sense when prescribing this horrible birth control to me."

Mary D. June 19, 2016

"I used Orsythia many years ago and all went well. I don't remember having any issues while using it. It prevented pregnancy, my acne cleared up and I lost a little weight. I recently decided to get back on the pill and have only been on it for about 2 weeks. This time around, my boobs hurt so bad, my back muscles are extremely tender and I constantly feel like I'm going to vomit. So far there are no negative effects on my anxiety/depression. I'm going to give it more time since I had a successful experience prior to this, but if things continue down this path, I will have to switch to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"I've been on Orsythia for about a year, and I've had mixed feelings about it. It started out really well and my periods were down to 1-2 days. However, it makes you feel tired and it's hard to feel as energized as you used to."

Anonymous June 10, 2016

"Love love love this pill!!! I've been on it for about a year and it has been the best experience ever. It cleared up my acne, helps with my anxiety, and has done a wonderful job at preventing pregnancy! I've noticed a little bit of water weight with it but that's ok, I don't mind it."

Liv1111 June 8, 2016

"I was prescribed this pill so it could help my PMDD. I have an anxiety disorder and during my tom, I would have horrible anxiety attacks and depression. This pill receives a 10/10 for helping me with that issue, however, the other side effects dampened the positives of this medication. It made my sex drive PLUMMET. I felt like a menopausal woman for the duration I was on this pill. Secondly, it made my acne blow up for the first 4 months I was on it! It wasn't until I went to a derm and started using a topical treatment that it began to clear. It also made me retain a few pounds in water weight and my boobs got bigger. I just started tri-previfem yesterday so I hope I can get my sex drive back!"

Maddie_h June 5, 2016

"This pill was HORRIBLE. Although it did prevent pregnancy for the year and a half I was on it, it gave me THE WORST abnormal bleeding during and after sex. I would wake up the next morning and within seconds of standing up have blood pouring down my legs and no it was not my period. I would bleed on my partner during sex... How embarrassing?! I don't know if it was the birth control that caused this or the fact that the birth control did not have enough estrogen for me to not bleed abnormally... I switched to Sprintec and it is working great for me. Have been losing weight on it actually and no more bleeding!"

Samantha727 June 4, 2016

"I would not recommend this birth control. I had severe mood swings and was always fatigue. I switched from the patch Ortha Evra to this pill to get better results and it did not work for me at all!"

porshmem26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

"The only reason I even give this two stars is because I never had an issue with pregnancy on this pill. I started with Aviane (which I had no side effects and generally felt great) and was switched to this by my pharmacy. Since then things have gone down hill. I had very mild anxiety before going on the pill, Aviane did nothing to it but Orsythia has amplified it to the point where I've really struggled with my anxiety and mood swings. A few days before my period the smallest things will set me off into episodes of weeping and panic. I've gained some weight (5 pounds). Experienced nausea every so often (more than Aviane). Worst, is the cystic acne on my chin. While my periods have been lighter and shorter, cramps have gotten worse. Terrible"

Terrible Pill (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2016

"I have tried probably about 8 different birth control pills trying to find the right one, and Orsythia is it! I used to get yeast infections right before my period like clockwork, not an issue as soon as I began this one. I have been on it for 3 years, and sexually active the entire time without condoms, and have not gotten pregnant. I haven't noticed any breast tenderness or nausea (and I have a SUPER sensitive stomach and am nauseated by many things). The only side effect I have been able to notice is vaginal dryness, but this his happened with every hormonal contraceptive I tried. Clearly this isn't the pill for everyone, but for people who are having trouble finding the right one, give it a chance, it truly changed my life."

hall15 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016

"I have been on this pill for 7 months and it is good except for the extreme nausea and it causes me to not want to eat sometimes. So I have lost weight except in my boobs which actually stayed at my normal C cup. If you have anxiety and anxiety attacks like I do just know that any hormonal birth control can make them more frequent."

BatGirl101 May 13, 2016

"I was on this pill for 1 1/2 years. When I first started taking it, I had the usual side effects, upset stomach but when I took it with food, I was fine. However if you miss a pill, only retake 1 (the missed pill), not 2 or you will vomit then continue the rest of the pack. I never had any pregnancy scare, my period always came on like clockwork. In April of 2016, my period came on twice and the second time it did not go off for almost 4 weeks. My breasts were also super sensitive. My doctor switched me the next month. Other than that I had no issues and loved this birth control. I recommend to watch out for unusual signals that may present themselves."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2016

"Ive been on Orsythia for 3 weeks. The side effects im having are nightly nausea probably 4-5 nights a week. One night my first week i did vomit. Ugh, its been miserable. The other main side effect is that i have had my period for 15 days now. Its a regular flow too!! That has honestly been obnoxious too. I am not sexually active so i dont know if it is working to actually be birth control. I will say though, i have depression and anxiety and i have NO noticeable mood changes which is awesome:) also no weight gain!!! Woo!!! My boobs are a little bigger though.... Which isnt so bad;) anyways i think its a lot better than Beyaz which i was on about 4 years ago. :)"

Juliaakatrinaa May 4, 2016

"I have only been taking this birth control for 3 weeks now. I used to take Cryselle, which I was on for 2 years, and never experienced any problems with it besides weight gain, which was around 20 pounds. I have been off of Cryselle for a year now, but about 2 and a half months ago, I got in to a new relationship, so I decided to get back on the pill. I went to planned parenthood where they prescribed me Orsythia, and the doctor mentioned to me that spotting, nausea, & feeling "funny" were the most common side effects. Let me say that my pill was not covered by my health insurance so I had to throw a fit at my insurance company, CVS, and the doctor. Orsythia costs me $27 a month. Anyways, about a week and a half after "rapid starting" the pill on a Friday, I began to notice I was grinding and clenching my teeth. I put put this off, until I started to realize I was so anxiety-ridden that I couldn't sleep, eat, and I felt as of I was almost in a dream-like state. Not to mention, I do have manic-depressive disorder, and it is clearly stated that Orsythia can worsen symptoms in mentally ill patients. Other than the extremely severe anxiety, the pill itself is not so bad. My first period only lasted about two & a half days, I had no cramping at all and I usually cramp before.& during my period, I also had unprotected sex 'exactly' 7 days after beginning the pill, so it's safe to say that it does the job at preventing pregnancy, it's just the side effects that make it so horrible."

Mikala W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"So far, I haven't gotten pregnant so this medication is doing its job. I have experienced a few side effects. I have a complete loss of appetite (I haven't been hungry in 2 months) and I've lost about 5 pounds. Sex can be painful since I can't seem to produce natural lubrication. My period is a barely a period, I wouldn't even call it a "flow" and it lasts maybe a day and a half. Most concerning is before starting Orsythia I had low blood pressure, but after two months my blood pressure has gone up so much it is technically stage 1 hypertension (despite taking perscription water pills)."

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"I was on birth control for about 15 years and decided to stop to give my body a break. I got pregnant during that time and I started taking this birth control after I had my baby. I've been on it about 5 months now. So far, the only good things is it has kept me from getting pregnant and cleared up my skin. The bad things....it has made me gain some weight, I now start to get my period before my pills are done, I feel like I am sweatier and it has given me large painful cysts under my right armpit. I am debating whether or not to get off of this pill or give it a little bit more time."

BDess9115 March 29, 2016

"When I first went on the pill, it was to help with my pmdd, which I will say, helped significantly. However, I have NOO SEX DRIVE. I used to masturbate at least once or twice every day but now I'm lucky if I can even make myself orgasm in a month. Orgasms don't feel very good anymore and nothing turns me on. Sex is painful and boring. Other than that, it did make my periods a bit shorter which is one positive of this pill. The first week I was on the pill I was super queasy ugh! Some other side effects have been weight gain (only about 3-5 pounds but still), and horrible acne in the first 3 months. I'm seeing my obgyn soon because my low sex drive is hurting my relationship and makes life miserable."

Maddieh98 (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"I have been on it for about 6 months, and it is great except for the fact that it makes me extremely emotional the day before my period and I have cramps on my period. Both of which I never had before using the pill."

erin302 February 9, 2016

"I was on Orsythia for about a year. It did its job in that I did not get pregnant, but I had to quit taking it because of the awful side effects. Weight gain was minimal but definitely occurred. After about 6 months my acne became worse than it has ever been, but even that wasn't the worst of it. Orsythia brought my anxiety to an all-time high, and I was experiencing awful mood swings. All of these symptoms practically disappeared within 2 months after quitting it. I did not have anxiety before taking Orsythia, and now even though it has been almost a year since I quit (haven't taken another birth control since) I still have bouts of anxiety from time to time. I believe my anxiety was triggered by this birth control."

JessicaSpitzer February 8, 2016

"I'm a veteran birth control user 6 years and this one is so-so. I was on Seasonale for about 3 years. I had to switch to this one because my insurance didn't cover it anymore. So far I've been on it for 1 month and if you have normal skin *not* prone to breakouts, - do not go on this pill. It will break you out bad. Even down there! Which never happened to me before. It does the exact opposite of Seasonale. Seasonale dried the vaginal area and this pill makes you discharge so much it's never dry hence the breakouts. Moods are pretty normal. Sex drive is a little bit better than Seasonale since you don't have to use lube. Overall it's okay. I'm going to switch though as soon as I am done with the 3 pack."

Akeba February 3, 2016

"I've been on this pill for about 2 years , I've never really had a problem with this pill ...heck I have no complains really . I just notice sometimes I get break through bleeding especially if I start a new cycle after skipping a month. My skin remains clear , my mood swings are in check plus I get a lighter period. I really do believe this pill works differently for different people. Yes my breast do get tender around my period but that's normal for my body. I did gain wieght but I'm not sure it was due to the pill Bc I do eat a lot. Lol. My body only filled out more in the right places. I also have a healthy sex drive unlike when I was on the Nuevo ring."

LolaaElle January 31, 2016

"I have been on birth control pills for about 10 years now, and I REALLY don't like this one. I switched from Lomedia 24 because I wasn't getting periods, which made me a little nervous. I have been on this pill for 4 months now and I consistently get my period on the 9th day of the pack and it lasts between 5-7 days, which is really long for an oral contraceptive. I normally have nice skin and it has gone completely to hell - pimples and cystic acne on the lower half of my face. I also experienced a serious increase in appetite, which I have never experienced on a pill. I gave this pill a fair chance, but I'm getting back on my old pill next month. I gave this a 3/10 because I haven't gotten pregnant."

Britt B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"I was on this for 2 years and at first it was great! It worked great... BUT a few months into it I noticed I had no sex drive, heavier periods, minor acne flare ups (I didn't have acne before), & extreme mood swings. A year into it everyone started thinking I was crazy so I went to see a physiologist to help my moodiness. A year & a half in I realized nothing was helping, I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. That was odd to me being that when I was in high school I was happy & outgoing.. My family blamed my relationship for my unhappiness but it was the pill. On top of that I gained 30lbs within the two years of taking it. Now I'm off that crap & happier than ever, I'm normal me again & my relationships with everyone improved!"

Jordie Nicole January 12, 2016

"I've been on this now for a little over a year. At first the birth control worked great for me! I would only have about four day periods and I barely ever had cramps. But starting about three or four months ago, everytime I'm not supposed to be on my period I will start on my first or second week of the pills and will be on it until my month of pills are gone. I'm not sure if it's my bodies way of saying it doesn't like this pill anymore or what.. has this happened to anyone else? I'm going to my gyno soon and I want to either switch my BC or get completely off it."

Kay10 January 8, 2016

"I tried this for my acne- First 3 months it was under control then suddenly got extremely worse. I have so much hormonal acne on my chin and neck, it has NEVER been this bad. My periods are great but I do not recommend this for acne."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015