User Reviews for Orsythia

Learn more about Orsythia.

Orsythia Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Orsythia to treat Birth Control

"If you have any history with anxiety and/or depression, stay FAR away from this pill. I have been on Orsythia for 4 months and it's been miserable. My anxiety is thru the roof, I have panic attacks weekly and throughout the month I would go into a depression where I would just be hating on myself and be completely sad for no reason at all. I also didn't get my period during any of the "period week" (placebo pills week), instead I would get a period week 2-3 of my pill pack. It also made my breasts hurt for the 2 months, and made me have little to no appetite, I lost 20 pounds while taking this. Sharing my experience so other girls don't have to go thru the same thing. I am using condoms as a contraceptive now, and it is sooo much better."

victoriaaaa16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Orsythia for unbearable menstrual cramps, and stayed on it for about 6 months. It immediately regulated my period and made the cramping almost disappear, but some of the side effects made it not worth it. No weight gain or acne, but my anxiety was through the roof. I would have major meltdown anxiety attacks on a daily basis and would get incredibly emotional from the slightest amount of stress. I could not handle much of anything and was constantly overwhelmed and lethargic. My mood swings were awful and put a lot of stress on my relationship. I've been off this pill for 2 months and my anxiety is SO much better. This pill does wonders for cramps, but I would not recommend it to anyone with a history of anxiety issues."

ejp1996 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Orsythia for a little over a year now and my experience has not been good. Although I will say, this birth control pill regulated my periods with little to no menstrual pain as well as prevented pregnancy. However, the side effects were awful! I had very severe mood swings and anxiety attacks. Anxiety is nothing new to me but this medication made it so much worse. I am ALWAYS tired, no matter how much I sleep. The worst part for me was the headaches, I would get them daily and the pain was unbearable. Some headaches would last days and interfere with my sleep. I thought there was a more serious issue due to the intensity but everything checked out fine, it was the medication. I would not recommend this medication."

Anonymous June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 19. I've been on Orsythia/Sronyx for 7 months now. First 5 months were fine, cleared up my acne, regulated my periods and prevented pregnancy. The last 2 months have been extremely difficult. I had previous issues with anxiety and panic which I thought I dealt with until 2 months ago where I experienced very extreme anxiety. I thought it was work stress but I felt I was going crazy; migraines, insomnia, weeping, nausea for weeks. It has been a while since then and life has calmed down but I am still not feeling like myself, and so I am contemplating switching the pill. Orsythia also gave me recurrent and niggling yeast infections which was annoying. At the end of the day it does its job, but if you're predisposed to anxiety, be weary."

agirlnamedlou (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on my 3 months pack but all she sudden I won't stop spotting 12 days straight so far, my first 2 packs were just fine"

Asia84 May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this pill for over a year, and only had mild side effects during the first 2 months. Those side effects included breast tenderness, and spotting. After the 2 month mark, all side effects subsided. I have had much lighter periods that only last 3-4 days since starting the pill, which has been great! I have not experienced mood swings, low sex drive, weight gain, or any of the other effects some other have dealt with. It's been a great pill for me!"

TiffyLynn May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on orsynthia since I was 14. I am now almost 19. I am nauseous a lot and cry for no reason. I am very moody all of the time and and have a lot of mood swings. I have an EXTREMELY low sex drive, to the point that I think it will ruin my relationship some day. I am sexually active but I am always safe using condoms so I haven't gotten pregnant. For me, orsynthia has stopped the clotting during my periods but I still will get cramps and my periods will sometimes be very heavy. I never got acne so that hasn't been a problem for me. If I were you I would steer clear of orsynthia and make this your last choice birth control."

Jilliayy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe menstrual pain, so bad to where I throw up,and I am in bed for the whole day. So I decided to get on the pill. My doctor prescribed me orsythia and it changed my mood severely. I was very mean and grumpy all the time, it felt like was on edge all the time. Which is not like me at all, I am a very easy going, go with the flow, never really get mad type of person. It did not help my cramps as much as I thought it was going to. It also made me have really bad head aches and acne. It has been almost a week since I've stopped taking it and my mood and acne has cleared up. The only thing now that I've noticed is that my knees and ankles ache, after coming off of the medication. But I'm sure that will clear up soon."

Emi4444 April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't experienced any of the negative side-effects (admittedly it hasn't been very long, but supposedly the first three months are worst). I have noticed less intense period cramps and decreased flow, which is nice. I guess I'm one of the lucky people that doesn't get the negative effects, or at least they aren't any more noticeable than regular stress. I am getting it through my college health center, so it's cheaper as well."

M_A April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced spotting the entire time I was on this pill, which I have not had happen on other pills. Ended up switching after 3 months."

HJKL111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with Oysthia is horrible! I have only been on this medication for two weeks and I'm giving up. I keep having mood swings. I was angry at my mom and fiancé for no reason. I threw my cellphone at my fiancé. Lately the anxiety attacks are just killing me. I already have anxiety but this medication makes it so much worse. I literally have at least four anxiety attacks daily. I take my anxiety medication and it still doesn't help which usually it does. Last night I had an anxiety attack so bad two hours after taking the pill and I couldn't even rest. I'm not taking this anymore! Also I been eating like crazy. I had fast food then came home and cooked pizza."

ShaeShae (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Orsythia for about a year now and it's been the best birth control I've been on. All the others made me very emotional and gain weight. At first there was some nausea but eating before taking the pill helped. There's also breast tenderness when my period starts but thats no surprise. I haven't gained any weight, my acne cleared up and I've never had a pregnancy scare while on this pill even after unprotected sex with my boyfriend. Overall I'd say it's doing a good job."

RosieMay113 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this pill for about 7 or 8 months and I did not have a good experience at all. This was my first time on birth control so I wasn't really sure what to expect. The first few months were fine, I noticed I was a little high strung but thought it was due to other things going on. Once life had mellowed out a bit, I was still having these terrible mood swings. I only had high highs or low lows, with no in between. I'd snap at my husband constantly and I was extremely depressed. I had frequent headaches and I gained 15 pounds when I had never had any major weight changes before that. I stopped the pill about two months ago and have noticed my mood swings have stopped and I feel much better. Only plus was that I didn't get pregnant."

Bri4569 March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Alesse, Aviane and Sronyx and they were amazing. No acne, weight gain or mood swings. I have been on for Orsythia for three months. The first month I noticed I felt strange and high anxiety with many mood swings. The second month I had all the same symptoms with a five pound weight gain. This month I got vertigo so bad I could barely stand and walk. It made me feel so dizzy and so irritated that I was snapping at everybody. I called my insurance carrier and beg them to put me on any thing but Orsythia and they are going to put me back on Aviane. I've been on the pill for over 12 years straight and I have never had a series of side effects like I did with this pill. I would not recommend this to anyone."

Vertigo, Weight Gain and Fits (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this birth control for about a week now, and I have already noticed some changes. My skin is also acne prone, and I was really hoping that this birth control would help with it. Without the pill, I usually have many bumps on my forehead, my chin is pretty red, and once in a while I will get cystic acne. Now that I've been taking it, I have many new pimples all over my face, like my cheeks and on my nose, where I have never gotten it before. It's also given me MORE cystic acne which is a pain. I really wish that it could have helped, but before I switch off I want to wait a little longer to be sure."

Lizzy W February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given Orsythia because my pharmacy had told me that Aviane was being discontinued. I was also told they were the same thing and made by the same manufacturer. I contacted Teva and was told that the information I was given was wrong, that Aviane is not discontinued and not under the same manufacturer. Aviane was perfect for me no acne, perfect moods, energy, and a good appetite (I need weight gain). The first week of Orsythia consisted of meltdowns, frequent headaches, dizziness, slight nausea, and acne lots of acne. Into the second week my nausea became a little bit worse and my temper would easily be disturbed, I also experienced very bothersome breast soreness. Stick to what works for you and do your research!"

Mel9 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this pill for 4 months now and it's made my acne worse than ever. I have breakouts on my chest and never have before using the pill. My cramps are the same and periods have not become shorter. I am switching brands."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Levora birth control since I was 17 and I had zero troubles, but due to insurance loss at 21 I had to switch to the health department's offbrand which was Orsythia. The first 3 months were horrible. I was told they were similar birth controls and that I may experience some changes but they never went away or decreased. I had bad anxiety, more cramping during my period, I spotted all the time, during the 4th month I had another period during the middle of the pack for no reason and I was very angry and emotional as well as sad and lazy. Things did not excite me any more and I just wanted to lay in bed and sleep because I was always tired. Never again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started my second pack of this pill. I switched from tri-sprintec due to side effects from that such as nausea, constant breast tenderness, and increased anxiety. I have had no side effects with Orysthia so far. My breasts did get tender before my period, but I'm used to that anyways. My period started the 3rd day of placebo pills and I had mild cramping. My period did last for 5-7 days but was not heavy. My sex drive is pretty low, but it has been ever since I started taking any form of birth control about 7 months ago. Overall, I'm really pleased with this pill!"

Keri N January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was perscribed lutera, and when i went to the pharmacy they gave me orsythia instead because it was more affordable for me, yet an equivalent of lutera. As of recently I have been experiencing a lot more headaches and migraines, which my doctor warned me about (since I have family and personal history of severe migraines). I haven't gained any weight, my periods are very light and about 4 days long. They start on the third inactive pill. In addition, my breasts have increased in size but not been tender. I like orsythia. I was very paranoid about taking birth control, but orsythia was a lot better for me than I expected, however if my migraines continue I will need to switch :("

briana marie January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this BC because it was what my insurance was covering. I was on it for about 9 months. Prior to using Orsythia I was on Lutera. I am now back on Lutera thank goodness! They supposedly have the same ingredients but Orsythia really made me feel awful. Here is what went on. Every month was different, some months I was extremely emotional, other months my breasts would get very tender, all the way through the nipple, ouch! I would also get frequent headaches, like maybe 4 a week, There was more cramping too. I connected the dots and told my Dr. and she switched me back to lutera and put on the prescription that there should be no substitutions. I have been fine for the past 6 months since I changed back. Orsythia sucks if you ask me."

SillyP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This birth control made me depressed. It worked to prevent pregnancy, but the side effects were not tolerable. The worst was that I didn't realize it was the birth control and was so confused why I was so unhappy and dull. Once I stopped taking it my mood improved. Birth control reacts differently in each person's body, but if you are prone to mood problems I would proceed with caution."

Dancer13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it for about eight months now, literally no side effects that I've noticed. I'm very active and orsythia has never effected my athletic performance. In terms of period regulation, sometimes I'm up to three days late or early, incredibly light flow though that lasts for maybe four days. Previously I was dealing with ten day periods and very horrid cramping every other month. I've had unprotected sex about 70 times, with no scares, I do take the pill religiously. Over all I'd totally recommend this, no bad side effects and anxiety over getting pregnant is completely gone."

eva7522 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've actually lost weight on this pill. Every other birth control pill made me gain lots of weight. Periods are short. It has no side effects that I've noticed. Compared to other pills I've tried, this is the best. I recommend it! I do not get acne, or crazy mood swings, or anything of that sort on this pill. It works beautifully"

Rachel129 December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started birth control my junior year of high school to help with heavy cramps. Though I did not start taking Orsythia until 3 months ago, but I am pretty satisfied with it. I have not really noticed any negative side effects. I have noticed a slight change in my breasts size which is not a bad thing and my periods are always on time and very short which is great. I am also very satisfied with its ability to prevent pregnancy. Over the course of 6 days with my long distance boyfriend we had unprotected sex 13 times and I did not get pregnant and feel great. So I say if your looking for a pill that will prevent pregnancy and help with period pain and such Orsythia is a good choice."

KSlove97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016