User Reviews for Orsythia

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Orsythia.

Orsythia Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Orsythia to treat Birth Control

"Do you like feeling like a raging cow? If so, this is the pill for you! Never have I felt so horrible as I did the 6 weeks taking this pill. When I wasn’t furiously angry I switched between absolute exhaustion to deep depressive state. I should have listened to the reviews telling those with anxiety to avoid this pill. I also had 3 heavy periods during the time I was on the pill or maybe it was just one long one that happened to have 2 4-day breaks. I’m switching to another birth control."

AbsolutelyNot (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Orsythia about a month ago. Since then, I’ve been depressed and I have no clue why; I have also had more anxiety in the past month than I have had in the past 3. I read that others have had some anxiety and depression problems while on Orsythia. However, I am not as overly-emotional as I was on the birth control that I was taking before this one. I’d honestly be overly emotional 24/7 than depressed often. I don’t have very noticeable cramps but Tylenol helps take them away. I also have gained a couple pounds while on Orsythia. I would not recommend this to someone that has a history of anxiety/depression because it will drain you. Many others have also had this problem while on Orsythia"

Jo122 November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was originally on Microgestin Fe 1/20 using it for my period and birth control, I had very few cramps and very light bleeding with no side effects. I turned 19 and lost my health insurance and can no longer afford it, so I went to the health Dept. And they put me in Orsythia, I was told it is the same thing. I have been on this medication for a month now and I have only had headaches and extreme tiredness, some problems being mad for no reason. I haven't started my period yet but I am only on the first inactive pill so we will see. Will update soon."

CB1998 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve used Orsythia for two years without any issue. I have a long history of anxiety and it has not been affected by the pill, nor have I experienced any nausea. I take it precisely at the same time everyday and it has worked great. I’ve put on a few pounds but I think everyone should evaluate their diet before blaming the pill, it’s pretty much impossible for a pill to make you gain 20+ pounds unless your diet is unhealthy and you’re lacking exercise. It’s a pretty generic birth control and I would assume that the horrifying side affects listed by previous reviews are probably rare and true for all birth control on the market. So give it a try, it’s not a miracle pill, but it’s not a anxiety inducing weight gain supplement either."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this birth control for a year and then I was switched to a different one without me wanting to be. The first thing I notice was the tiredness. I was completely exhausted all the time. I never really had acne breakouts while I was on it. However, I did have my first yeast infection and reoccurring bacterial vaginosis while I was on it. I have no idea if it caused it or not but I think it’s plausible since I’ve never had either infection until starting bc. All in all I would much rather go back on it as I suffered very minimal side effects from it."

Em.-. November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love hate this birth control it’s not all bad but it’s not all that great. I have been on orsythia for a year, I use to get pimples every month before this pill now I rarely get them. (I don’t break out normally) so anyway it definitely kept my skin clear. I have gained about 20 pounds since starting and I naturally am thin I weighed 94lbs before so yeah do the math. It definitely prevents pregnancy I’ve taken it later on some days and still kept me protected. Definitely does give you anxiety HIGH anxiety and depression. You choose though other than that I’d stay on it but I’m switching."

Brebre12 October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill has been pretty good for me. It is a lower hormones dose than the many other pills I tried before, which gave me bad side effects. I had mild nausea and headaches with this pill for the first 3 months but that's it. I have gained about 25 pounds in the 2 years I've used it but I don't mind it as much as some other people. My sex drive has gone down a tiny bit but nothing noticeable. I have sex frequently, using this as my only protection method, and I haven't had a pregnancy scare (granted, I am very good at taking it on time). This pill isn't perfect, but its definitely the best one I've tried!"

Cait318 October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Orsythia was the first birth control pill I had ever been on, and for the first 2-3 months I had extreme nausea when taking it, which I was warned by my doctor that that could be a side effect in the adjustment period. I would take the pill at night and made sure I ate something before I took it, but I would still get extremely nauseous. My periods were not affected by Orsythia, but I did notice it helped reduce cramping. The main problem I had with Orsythia was the weight gain, which was a substantial amount. I gained about 25 pounds in the year of taking Orsythia, and I have never gained that much weight in that time span ever before. My doctor is switching me to a different birth control."

TL13 September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this pill for almost 6 months now after switching when my insurance no longer covered the birth control pill I had been taken previously. I decided to try this pill for quite a few months because I know side effects can subside after the first few months and I wanted to give it a real shot. Unfortunately, after 23 years of minimal to no breakouts, this pill has given me extreme breakouts on my face, shoulders, and back. I've tried several types of skincare to control the breakouts to no avail. I have also suffered from anxiety and depression in the last few months, something I thought was work-related, but have decided this pill is no longer worth the risk. I will be switching pills starting next month."

Emmmmm August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you have any history with anxiety and/or depression, stay FAR away from this pill. I have been on Orsythia for 4 months and it's been miserable. My anxiety is thru the roof, I have panic attacks weekly and throughout the month I would go into a depression where I would just be hating on myself and be completely sad for no reason at all. I also didn't get my period during any of the "period week" (placebo pills week), instead I would get a period week 2-3 of my pill pack. It also made my breasts hurt for the 2 months, and made me have little to no appetite, I lost 20 pounds while taking this. Sharing my experience so other girls don't have to go thru the same thing. I am using condoms as a contraceptive now, and it is sooo much better."

victoriaaaa16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Orsythia for unbearable menstrual cramps, and stayed on it for about 6 months. It immediately regulated my period and made the cramping almost disappear, but some of the side effects made it not worth it. No weight gain or acne, but my anxiety was through the roof. I would have major meltdown anxiety attacks on a daily basis and would get incredibly emotional from the slightest amount of stress. I could not handle much of anything and was constantly overwhelmed and lethargic. My mood swings were awful and put a lot of stress on my relationship. I've been off this pill for 2 months and my anxiety is SO much better. This pill does wonders for cramps, but I would not recommend it to anyone with a history of anxiety issues."

ejp1996 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Orsythia for a little over a year now and my experience has not been good. Although I will say, this birth control pill regulated my periods with little to no menstrual pain as well as prevented pregnancy. However, the side effects were awful! I had very severe mood swings and anxiety attacks. Anxiety is nothing new to me but this medication made it so much worse. I am ALWAYS tired, no matter how much I sleep. The worst part for me was the headaches, I would get them daily and the pain was unbearable. Some headaches would last days and interfere with my sleep. I thought there was a more serious issue due to the intensity but everything checked out fine, it was the medication. I would not recommend this medication."

Anonymous June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 19. I've been on Orsythia/Sronyx for 7 months now. First 5 months were fine, cleared up my acne, regulated my periods and prevented pregnancy. The last 2 months have been extremely difficult. I had previous issues with anxiety and panic which I thought I dealt with until 2 months ago where I experienced very extreme anxiety. I thought it was work stress but I felt I was going crazy; migraines, insomnia, weeping, nausea for weeks. It has been a while since then and life has calmed down but I am still not feeling like myself, and so I am contemplating switching the pill. Orsythia also gave me recurrent and niggling yeast infections which was annoying. At the end of the day it does its job, but if you're predisposed to anxiety, be weary."

agirlnamedlou (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on my 3 months pack but all she sudden I won't stop spotting 12 days straight so far, my first 2 packs were just fine"

Asia84 May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this pill for over a year, and only had mild side effects during the first 2 months. Those side effects included breast tenderness, and spotting. After the 2 month mark, all side effects subsided. I have had much lighter periods that only last 3-4 days since starting the pill, which has been great! I have not experienced mood swings, low sex drive, weight gain, or any of the other effects some other have dealt with. It's been a great pill for me!"

TiffyLynn May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on orsynthia since I was 14. I am now almost 19. I am nauseous a lot and cry for no reason. I am very moody all of the time and and have a lot of mood swings. I have an EXTREMELY low sex drive, to the point that I think it will ruin my relationship some day. I am sexually active but I am always safe using condoms so I haven't gotten pregnant. For me, orsynthia has stopped the clotting during my periods but I still will get cramps and my periods will sometimes be very heavy. I never got acne so that hasn't been a problem for me. If I were you I would steer clear of orsynthia and make this your last choice birth control."

Jilliayy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe menstrual pain, so bad to where I throw up,and I am in bed for the whole day. So I decided to get on the pill. My doctor prescribed me orsythia and it changed my mood severely. I was very mean and grumpy all the time, it felt like was on edge all the time. Which is not like me at all, I am a very easy going, go with the flow, never really get mad type of person. It did not help my cramps as much as I thought it was going to. It also made me have really bad head aches and acne. It has been almost a week since I've stopped taking it and my mood and acne has cleared up. The only thing now that I've noticed is that my knees and ankles ache, after coming off of the medication. But I'm sure that will clear up soon."

Emi4444 April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't experienced any of the negative side-effects (admittedly it hasn't been very long, but supposedly the first three months are worst). I have noticed less intense period cramps and decreased flow, which is nice. I guess I'm one of the lucky people that doesn't get the negative effects, or at least they aren't any more noticeable than regular stress. I am getting it through my college health center, so it's cheaper as well."

M_A April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced spotting the entire time I was on this pill, which I have not had happen on other pills. Ended up switching after 3 months."

HJKL111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with Oysthia is horrible! I have only been on this medication for two weeks and I'm giving up. I keep having mood swings. I was angry at my mom and fiancé for no reason. I threw my cellphone at my fiancé. Lately the anxiety attacks are just killing me. I already have anxiety but this medication makes it so much worse. I literally have at least four anxiety attacks daily. I take my anxiety medication and it still doesn't help which usually it does. Last night I had an anxiety attack so bad two hours after taking the pill and I couldn't even rest. I'm not taking this anymore! Also I been eating like crazy. I had fast food then came home and cooked pizza."

ShaeShae (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Orsythia for about a year now and it's been the best birth control I've been on. All the others made me very emotional and gain weight. At first there was some nausea but eating before taking the pill helped. There's also breast tenderness when my period starts but thats no surprise. I haven't gained any weight, my acne cleared up and I've never had a pregnancy scare while on this pill even after unprotected sex with my boyfriend. Overall I'd say it's doing a good job."

RosieMay113 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this pill for about 7 or 8 months and I did not have a good experience at all. This was my first time on birth control so I wasn't really sure what to expect. The first few months were fine, I noticed I was a little high strung but thought it was due to other things going on. Once life had mellowed out a bit, I was still having these terrible mood swings. I only had high highs or low lows, with no in between. I'd snap at my husband constantly and I was extremely depressed. I had frequent headaches and I gained 15 pounds when I had never had any major weight changes before that. I stopped the pill about two months ago and have noticed my mood swings have stopped and I feel much better. Only plus was that I didn't get pregnant."

Bri4569 March 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Alesse, Aviane and Sronyx and they were amazing. No acne, weight gain or mood swings. I have been on for Orsythia for three months. The first month I noticed I felt strange and high anxiety with many mood swings. The second month I had all the same symptoms with a five pound weight gain. This month I got vertigo so bad I could barely stand and walk. It made me feel so dizzy and so irritated that I was snapping at everybody. I called my insurance carrier and beg them to put me on any thing but Orsythia and they are going to put me back on Aviane. I've been on the pill for over 12 years straight and I have never had a series of side effects like I did with this pill. I would not recommend this to anyone."

Vertigo, Weight Gain and Fits (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this birth control for about a week now, and I have already noticed some changes. My skin is also acne prone, and I was really hoping that this birth control would help with it. Without the pill, I usually have many bumps on my forehead, my chin is pretty red, and once in a while I will get cystic acne. Now that I've been taking it, I have many new pimples all over my face, like my cheeks and on my nose, where I have never gotten it before. It's also given me MORE cystic acne which is a pain. I really wish that it could have helped, but before I switch off I want to wait a little longer to be sure."

Lizzy W February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given Orsythia because my pharmacy had told me that Aviane was being discontinued. I was also told they were the same thing and made by the same manufacturer. I contacted Teva and was told that the information I was given was wrong, that Aviane is not discontinued and not under the same manufacturer. Aviane was perfect for me no acne, perfect moods, energy, and a good appetite (I need weight gain). The first week of Orsythia consisted of meltdowns, frequent headaches, dizziness, slight nausea, and acne lots of acne. Into the second week my nausea became a little bit worse and my temper would easily be disturbed, I also experienced very bothersome breast soreness. Stick to what works for you and do your research!"

Mel9 February 7, 2017