User Reviews for Orsythia

Learn more about Orsythia.

Orsythia Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Orsythia to treat Birth Control

"I've been on this pill for 2 1/2 months now. It's been downhill since 3 days after I started taking it. I've experienced headaches more often, weight gain (10 lbs), water retention and bloating, my mood has changed radically, I snap all the time for no good reason, irrational agitation, irritability. My anxiety has spiked, I've had multiple anxiety attacks since starting this pill (I am also on an anxiety medication and have been for a year and a half and it's helped with my anxiety levels wonderfully until I started Orsythia), I'm almost at my breaking point with it. I'm going to finish out this month and switch to something else. The only positive thing I can say about Orsythia is that it has prevented pregnancy. Would not recommend."

Ktg1994 September 26, 2016

"I've been on this pill for 1 year and I've gained 30 pounds. I've been the same size for years until I started taking this pill. My emotions are crazy but it does make my periods shorter and not as uncomfortable"

Diamond95 September 21, 2016

"Awful. I'm currently on this birth control and literally everyday I bleed. And there's an odor that comes with it. It's awfull. I'm going to give it a few days but it's bad."

Kenniken (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

"Best birth control ever.... Lost weight and help with cramps doing period"

NeneG September 11, 2016

"I switched from the shot to the pill Bc the shot increased my appetite and I felt like I was going crazy with my emotions on the shot. Since switching to this pill, my appetite is back to normal and my crazed emotions are no longer existent. Would recommend"

LaylinKane September 2, 2016

"This birth control did shorten my period, help with symptoms. However I've gotten more sluggish and I've gained 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks on it. Stopping it now because I can't keep gaining."

Kare99 August 27, 2016

"i saw negative reviews on Orsythia but decided to try it anyway, but I wish I hadnt. I was so anxious and had the worst mood swings. I would get so angry over little things I wouldn't give a second thought to normally. I snapped at my boyfriend, friends and family practically once in every conversation when I used to be so calm and light-hearted. I eventually thought enough is enough and switched to Junal Fe and finally back to my normal self. Orsythia also made me completely repulsed by food, so I lost about 12 pounds, but I'm barely 5 foot 2 so 12 pounds is a huge difference. Only positive is that I didnt get pregnant."

Sammmmmmmm August 26, 2016

"I started taking Orsythia about four months ago. This was my first experience on birth control, so I was incredibly apprehensive about the side-effect, namely: migraines, birth control, and mood swings. The first two months, everything went so smooth. These last two months I have been shocked with the adverse effects I've experienced. I have had issues with water-weight gain, which fluctuates between 3 and 5 pounds, and nausea. But, the biggest issue I have found with this medication would be the anxiety and depression. At first, I chalked it up to stress. However, people around me noticed that I have not been myself. I've felt edgy, irritable, overwhelmed, confused, and sensitive. I'm finishing this month, then switching to a new pill."

Lyd47 August 24, 2016

"I don't have anything but good things to say about Orsythia. It regulated my periods really well, reduced and shortened bleeding, and completely got rid of my cramps. I haven't noticed any major side effects. No spotting, no weight gain, and no acne issues. I've noticed I'm sometimes a little bit more emotional during week 1, but it's never been of any issue or effected me negatively. As of now I have no plans of changing from this pill."

Anonymous August 14, 2016

"This was my first time on the pill, and I can say that it has been great. I gained a few pounds the first month, but I also started lifting weights and eating a lot more to help build muscle the same time I started taking it, so I can't say definitively that the pill is what made me gain weight (and by gain weight I mean like 5 to 7 pounds--I haven't gained or lost more than 2 or 3 in the past 4 years as a high schooler so that was pretty significant for me). It didn't clear up my acne but it didn't make it any worse, I've had no mood swings, no cramps, no pms symptoms, no bloating, really no side effects at all. The only real change I've experienced by taking this is that it made my period more regular and lighter. I have no complaints"

Brenna R August 13, 2016

"This pill lightened my period but I began to experience sore back, sore breasts, constant hunger and always felt tired. I gained 45 pounds since I started taking the pill but my diet remained. I stopped taking the pill and instantly lost weight! I've been off the pill for a month and I've already lost 15 pounds."

Chicanaaaa August 5, 2016

"Hi Ladies I wanted to share my experience with this orsythia pill. Well I have now been takin it for about 5 months and I Love it. I was on the nexplanon for 6 months before I changed it to the pill. And it was the worst so many symptoms like headaches and nausea and always so hungry. When i had my son I was weighting at 200 pounds before I had him and lost 30 when I gave birth so I was down to 170. I tried my hardest to loose weight with the nexplanon after inserting it after giving birth. I dieted well eating 1,200 or less calories a day doing 3 hours of workout and nothing. Right when I switched to the pill I started losing weight rapidly I was at 170 and now I'm at 142 in less than 4 months and I havnt been as hungry‚̧"

MarielaMeza August 5, 2016

"I started taking this pill when my pharmacy switched it out from my regular Aviane. (Which are supposed to be exactly the same) The first week or so I was incredibly nauseous. Another thing I've noticed is how incredibly tired I've been. I wake up tired. It's really strange because this is a brand new thing since starting this pill. My sex drive has also taken a turn for the worst. Mainly due to being so tired by the time my kids go to bed I'm practically asleep myself. That was never a problem before. Now that I'm nearing my 1st period on the pill I have extreme pms symptoms. Mainly feeling weepy and actually crying about things I would not normally. The worst though is my temper. I feel like I'm about to snap frequently."

Andrea862 (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

"From using this pill for a year I can say my opinion is firmly that Orsythia is not for me. The pharmacy/insurance switched Lutera to Orsythia and I just went along with it, despite the negative reviews. This past year has been a completely different me, my sex drive was fine, bad cramps only once and then other time from the white week sticker falling off and accidentally missing some pills. But my mood swings became so frequent and awful. I experienced depression and suicidal thoughts and am glad to have switched out of this birth control. I understand everyone's experience is different, but please don't be afraid to switch out of this birth control. Or keep a mood diary if you experience unusual moods."

A full year of experience July 29, 2016

"Pill worked well at preventing pregnancy but I would bleed for 3-5 weeks straight. It was awful and made me very very very cranky and moody."

LadyKJ July 14, 2016

"I just started taking this not to long ago and when I was supposed to get my first period it never came and I've never had a missed period (it could have been hormones but my lifestyle and stress levels didn't really change) and when I got my 2nd period on this pill I barely bleed. My acne has been so much worse I feel like I'm back in high school. Can't remember the last time I wore foundation and now I wear it everyday. Funny thing is I take medication already for my face, so you would have thought my doctor would have use common sense when prescribing this horrible birth control to me."

Mary D. June 19, 2016

"I used Orsythia many years ago and all went well. I don't remember having any issues while using it. It prevented pregnancy, my acne cleared up and I lost a little weight. I recently decided to get back on the pill and have only been on it for about 2 weeks. This time around, my boobs hurt so bad, my back muscles are extremely tender and I constantly feel like I'm going to vomit. So far there are no negative effects on my anxiety/depression. I'm going to give it more time since I had a successful experience prior to this, but if things continue down this path, I will have to switch to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"I've been on Orsythia for about a year, and I've had mixed feelings about it. It started out really well and my periods were down to 1-2 days. However, it makes you feel tired and it's hard to feel as energized as you used to."

Anonymous June 10, 2016

"Love love love this pill!!! I've been on it for about a year and it has been the best experience ever. It cleared up my acne, helps with my anxiety, and has done a wonderful job at preventing pregnancy! I've noticed a little bit of water weight with it but that's ok, I don't mind it."

Liv1111 June 8, 2016

"I was prescribed this pill so it could help my PMDD. I have an anxiety disorder and during my tom, I would have horrible anxiety attacks and depression. This pill receives a 10/10 for helping me with that issue, however, the other side effects dampened the positives of this medication. It made my sex drive PLUMMET. I felt like a menopausal woman for the duration I was on this pill. Secondly, it made my acne blow up for the first 4 months I was on it! It wasn't until I went to a derm and started using a topical treatment that it began to clear. It also made me retain a few pounds in water weight and my boobs got bigger. I just started tri-previfem yesterday so I hope I can get my sex drive back!"

Maddie_h June 5, 2016

"This pill was HORRIBLE. Although it did prevent pregnancy for the year and a half I was on it, it gave me THE WORST abnormal bleeding during and after sex. I would wake up the next morning and within seconds of standing up have blood pouring down my legs and no it was not my period. I would bleed on my partner during sex... How embarrassing?! I don't know if it was the birth control that caused this or the fact that the birth control did not have enough estrogen for me to not bleed abnormally... I switched to Sprintec and it is working great for me. Have been losing weight on it actually and no more bleeding!"

Samantha727 June 4, 2016

"I would not recommend this birth control. I had severe mood swings and was always fatigue. I switched from the patch Ortha Evra to this pill to get better results and it did not work for me at all!"

porshmem26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

"The only reason I even give this two stars is because I never had an issue with pregnancy on this pill. I started with Aviane (which I had no side effects and generally felt great) and was switched to this by my pharmacy. Since then things have gone down hill. I had very mild anxiety before going on the pill, Aviane did nothing to it but Orsythia has amplified it to the point where I've really struggled with my anxiety and mood swings. A few days before my period the smallest things will set me off into episodes of weeping and panic. I've gained some weight (5 pounds). Experienced nausea every so often (more than Aviane). Worst, is the cystic acne on my chin. While my periods have been lighter and shorter, cramps have gotten worse. Terrible"

Terrible Pill (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2016

"I have tried probably about 8 different birth control pills trying to find the right one, and Orsythia is it! I used to get yeast infections right before my period like clockwork, not an issue as soon as I began this one. I have been on it for 3 years, and sexually active the entire time without condoms, and have not gotten pregnant. I haven't noticed any breast tenderness or nausea (and I have a SUPER sensitive stomach and am nauseated by many things). The only side effect I have been able to notice is vaginal dryness, but this his happened with every hormonal contraceptive I tried. Clearly this isn't the pill for everyone, but for people who are having trouble finding the right one, give it a chance, it truly changed my life."

hall15 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016

"I have been on this pill for 7 months and it is good except for the extreme nausea and it causes me to not want to eat sometimes. So I have lost weight except in my boobs which actually stayed at my normal C cup. If you have anxiety and anxiety attacks like I do just know that any hormonal birth control can make them more frequent."

BatGirl101 May 13, 2016