User Reviews for Lunesta

Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

"In three short weeks this drug wrecked my body. I got a skin rash that got infected within 10 days. First I thought, okay, this is weird. I didn't connect it to the Lunesta... but it was all downhill from there. Brain fog, memory problems, getting lost while driving, etc. Then my whole digestion system crashed. I'm talking severe pain in my stomach, constant nausea, no appetite, and constipation that would not move without a laxative. Then my body launched adrenaline to fight back. I started switching from fatigue to adrenaline, back and forth. After one ER visit and numerous urgent care trips, I realised it all started with the Lunesta. Buyer beware."

VB Girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Lunesta now for approximately 8 years. I take the 3 mg does at this point and usually take it every other night. The few nights that I can't fall asleep within 30 minutes or so, I'll take 1 pill and normally I can fall asleep within the next half hour for about 6 hours. When I do fall asleep at bedtime without taking a Lunesta, I'll usually wake up at 2 or 3 and can't fall back to sleep. Taking a Lunesta at that point will give me the additional 3-5 hours more of sleep. After taking it for so many years, I don't even notice any metallic taste . I usually do not wake up feeling groggy or tired. Works great even though I'm concerned about long term unknown health issues. Don't want to grow two heads.."

Klatu (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken Ambien more than 10yrs ago had a scary reaction, I've also taken OTC Sleep Aids including Benadryl is a complete waste sometimes with Benadryl I'd end up waking up in middle of night having to take more & so on! LUNESTA IS THE ONLY THING THAT EVER WORKED FOR ME. I'd take it 30 mins before bed but my husband would literally have to pick me up off couch and put me in bed because it worked faster than 30 mins I'd wake up feeling fabulous...I also can tell you when I was pregnant in my last trimester they gave me 5mg of Ambien bc they didn't know much about Lunestas effects during pregnancy...so I took half of 5mg didn't work took entire 5mg didn't work! LOVE LUNESTA!"

AMHNLM (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started Lunesta after a failed try at Trazadone and Prazosin and some other kinds. I've been taking lunesta as needed for the past year. I'm currently on Adderall and come off it here and there to make sure I can still function without it. So when I go back to taking my adderall, sleep isn't an option. With the lunesta, it shuts my brain off and sleep the whole night. Yes, I have slight metal taste but I fall asleep before I actually notice it. I honestly wake not groggy at all, that's why I love it. But yes, I gotta be careful and not get hooked on taking this stuff and have an dependence."

LaraWit July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am new to Lunesta I was taking 10mg of Ambien until it stopped working. Dr started me out on 1mg, which didn't do much, as I need as much stuff that would knock a horse out. Very high tolerance. I don't know if I should try 2mg? Got the yucky taste in mouth and its still there this am. Any suggestions?"

Treated'n'released July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor switched me to this after Ambien was no longer helping, as it would actually prevent me from going to sleep at all during the night. I have to say its pretty great and makes me go to sleep within an hour, no bad side effects and wake up feeling refreshed."

Anonymous July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I gave this product 3 stars only because I have a high tolerance even though I am a tiny woman, so my experience may not be the norm. That being said, I had been using Ambien for my insomnia for quite a few months and it was starting to take hours before it would put me to sleep. My Dr. recommended we switch it up to see if another product worked better. I took Lunesta for only two nights before I knew it was not for me. Not only did it keep me awake, but it made my heart race and heightened my already bad anxiety. I immediately switched back to Ambien and I will stay put w that. I'm writing this as I hope this helps someone else like me. Had I read some reviews like this, I would have never switched over."

Cam0990 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Beware! This works, but if you ever are without it- you'll not sleep. Withdrawals are a little rough if you are trying to come off use another otc sleep aid while off. My insurance quit coverage and I had to get thru without it . Not easy."

Kville mom (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bad taste in my mouth and noticed it immediately-- like I'm sucking on quarters -- my smoking does not help this taste lol um so first day, took it because I haven't slept since seroquel which is the only thing that has worked for me and because they don't have it on formulary in some parts of the states which sucks for me- and took it three hours ago and look at me blogging about it "

Madny (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First had anxiety so agreed with doc to take Lexapro daily in the morning. It worked wonders. But then I realized I was still not sleeping well. Back to doc, who suggested Lunesta 3 mg. Have taken this combo since 2006 and can honestly say the 2 Meds have saved my life. Have had to add Wellbutrin in am with Lexapro, but am a fan for life. FYI: have been able to wean Lunesta down to 1.5mg at times; and am hopeful that eventually I can give it up entirely. I have stayed at 1.5mg dose for maybe 4 months at a time. But then life events tend to make me need the 3 mg again. Bottom line, I am lucky that these 3 Meds work for me. I wish everyone out there to find the right recipe for sleep and peace."

Dbe May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 3mg my first night. I was so groggy, I don't remember anything from about two hours before bed and I had the WORST TIME waking up this AM. I was so groggy and cranky and again can barely remember anything until I started finally getting up and around. This is super strong, I took 3mg, but for someone who goes days without sleeping, I'll take these side effects over no sleep any day. I am taking the generic. At least give it a try. I have to for insurance purposes and I'm pretty glad I did. My doctor says the grogginess will fade after a while."

Ktbuggg12 (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Ambien 12mg, which in my opinion is the best sleeping pill on the market right now. I heard about Lunesta and I decided to give a try. My Doctor prescribe the 2mg. Hours passed by and I'm still waiting for it to kick in. Nothing. I made a huge mistake by changing from Ambient for Lunesta. Now I have to wait for a month to go back to Ambient. If you're thinking of switching or trying Lunesta. Don't even bother. I guarantee you Ambient is the best option"

Jdgim9 April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked well at first, but then stopped working, I have to take 5mg melatonin every night, 6mg prazosin (for PTSD nightmares), and 50mg of benadryl now for it to promote sleep onset successfully. I feel my body wakes up around 6am, (depending on the time I take it mostly). I don't know if it's my body becoming completely dependent on Lunesta to sleep, or taking my Prazosin lasting only about 6 hours causes my blood pressure to rise when it wears off making me wake up, or if I have back issues making me awake after it wears off. I think since I have delayed sleep phase disorder, my body has become too accustomed to the medicine to remain asleep due to the long duration of action, in comparison to the short duration of action of ambien."

Mr. Yolo April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"60 days ; not effective."

jack b nimble April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So, I've tried multiple sleeping aids. Temazepam and trazadone gave me headaches. Benedryl, NyQuil, hydroxyzine increased my restless legs. Melatonin was insufficient at max recommended dosage. Ambien was by-far the best at 10mg, but because I'm only 27, the doctor doesn't want to prescribe an addictive medication (her words). So I'm on Lunesta. It has a horrible taste of pennies, but if you put it on the back of your tongue and let it slide down while drinking, it doesn't cause it. But DON'T take a drink and let it swish around, bc it will leave that metallic taste! My insurance doesn't cover mine, but my pharmacy offers a discount card so I pay $30. 1mg is useless, I have to take 3mg to get any sleep, but better than no sleep."

SugarBrookie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My girlfriend, while under the influence of Lunesta, sat up while dreaming she was bring raped...screaming at the top of her voice uncontrollably. I turned to hold and console her and she bit into my wrist without letting go for about 30 seconds. She was crazy delusional and incoherent. I am totally scared and traumatized by the experience. This is a dangerous drug. I told her to get off Lunesta and learn to sleep 6-8 hours like a normal person by listening to your body and balancing your life."

FrickenAfraid January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on ambien for years. At one period of time, not living in this country I was prescribed 20 mls a night. Back here in the US I have been put on 12.5 extended release. I usually take 1 and a half to get me to sleep with 2 phenergan. I crave sweet things after taking it. I run out Halfway through the month. I was getting a supply from India of 10mls too for 150 dollars but ran out of those this week. I was given to try Lunesta 3 mls I have been awake for hours after taking the Lunesta plus 2 phenergan and 300 mls of gabapentin. I have been to a sleep Center as well. They wanted to take me off all sleep meds except for Gabapentin and gave me A sleep machine. Totally useless, a lot of money. Ambien for me are way better than anything"

Anonymous December 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking Lunesta when I was 15. The brand name works amazingly! Now that insurance doesn't want to cover the brand without a fight,even if they cover I have a 100$ Co pay on it!! I'm stuck with the generic and it's not so great. Definitely doesn't work as well plus the orange generic doesn't work at all, I have to have the blue ones to get any type of sleep."

*d.A. (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having terrible sleeping issues due to some life events. I saw the commercials on TV about it and talked to my doctor about it. Plus I read it didn't have the crazy side effects of other sleeping pills. It came across as perhaps a lighter sleeping pill. I got a prescription for 3mg and the first night I took it, about 5minutes later I got this terrible taste in my mouth, very bitter. For the ladies, Id describe it as having fingernail polish on and biting your nail, that taste. I grabbed some spearmint candy I had and sucked on one of those and that helped SO much! By the time I finished the 2nd one I was almost out of it and completely asleep. I did that for a week but now I dont even taste it anymore. Been using for 3 years now!"

Dsquared03 December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had first complete night sleep three days ago. Works without causing hang over next morning."

Susiesq (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Take it right before bed. Worked great."

Pam F 51 (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with Lunesta was a bit difficult. The brand name (which I never believed was any different than generic) worked WONDERS for me for years! But after insurance, was $50 per month. You get this lovely (awful) metallic taste in your mouth right before it kicks in, and it stays - so trick is to brush your teeth AND tongue, drink OJ, it'll pass. Then the generic came out (YAY CHEAPER), and ALL I got was the metallic taste. No sleep. If you need sleep and have the $, go brand name and enjoy your slumber! 2mg was the perfect dose for me as 3mg made me a bit drowsy."

JeccaLeigh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Ambien 15mg for awhile but my body built a tolerance to it. Over 2 weeks ago my doctor changed my prescription to Lunesta 3mg. I finally got up the nerve to take it after doing all the research. This is the first I have taken and I must say the aftertaste after about 5 minutes of taking it is absolutely HORRIBLE. Even breathing in through my mouth or nose heightens it. It strongly reminds me of how my mouth would taste after taking chemotherapy for cancer. It's causing a horrible flashback for me. This will be the first and last Lunesta I take. You also can't eat or drink anything as it tastes horrible too. I guess I will have to go back to Ambien."

BushBaltimore (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Lunesta 3mg for 4 yrs and haven't had any problems with it. No side effects, no funny tastes, I just pop it in my mouth with a big drink and wala! I take it and in about 30 min I'm asleep and don't wake up until the next morning with no hang over feeling, no headaches or anything. I have tried them all, I used to go for days and days without sleep so when I tried this and it worked it was like a whole new world opened up. This may just work different on some people as I was reading, but in my case IT WORKED!"

ozma58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried 3 milligrams of Lunesta did not work at all to help me sleep. But right now I am suffering from extreme anxiety and depression. And have other health issues and a ton of stuff on my mind. I also just tried Ambien ER last night and it did not work either. In the past couple years ago I did take Ambien and it worked to make me sleep but after taking 4 a week or so made my anxiety and depression worse. Be careful if you suffer from depression taking this medication is what I found out. I only recently tried to take sleeping pills again out of desperation as I have developed some bad stomach problems and possibly my pancreatitis flaring up and have been off of work for 2 months on workman's comp worried about losing my house and my healt"

Very insomnic (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016