User Reviews for Lunesta (Page 3)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

"I've been on Ambien CR (Zolpidem XR) for years. It always worked. Until it didn't. I have insomnia because of Fibromyalgia and a bad back which wakes me every time I turn over. But it loses its efficacy after 6-7 months. Doctor switched me to Lunesta and it did nothing. It was as if I took a placebo. Went back to the Zolpidem XR but I'm now back to having built up a tolerance again. Doc put me on Temazepam but it's like nothing too. It stinks not being able to sleep or stay asleep."

Mikisunshine March 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doc switched me from ambien to lunesta after about 7 months stating that ambien is known to cause Parkinsons' longterm. It worked similarly at first, but because of its long half-life i was told not to take another when i woke up early morning , 1-3 pm. This is big problem because i cannot get back to sleep. Both 5mg ambien and 3mg luniest give me 3-4 hours sleep. With ambien, Id awake and take another 5mg and go right back to sleep. Now i can't do that anymore and seldom have any sleep quality after 2 pm. Copper taste didn't bother me at first, but now a month later, i notice everything tastes different, even water....was hard to pinpoint, but finally realized it was a metallic taste that was permeating everything i ate. or drank"

Fred56 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking lunesta 2 years and I love it. Does exactly what it's supposed to 6 hours of restful sleep no hangovers Like some people say it has a horrible taste if it stays in your mouth..pop it in the back of your throat and swallow. It's a very small pill."

Redheadednicholson February 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had sleep issues my whole life and had just sort of dealt with it. I finally spoke with a Dr. about it and was prescribed Lunesta. Over a couple of weeks, taking it ~3 nights a week, I was sleeping better for the most part. Then, my emotions started going haywire. I was quick to anger and feeling paranoid. I was convinced my wife was having an affair (she wasn't) and had multiple outbursts. I have never been on any sort of medication for a period of time, so I didn't think to blame the Lunesta. I stopped taking it and the crazy emotions have stopped."

TipTop665 February 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I started Lunesta, I was SHOCKED by the price. 300-500 Dollars for 30 generic pills??? I don't have insurance, BTW. Then, my sister (who has 2 handicapped children and knows all the ins and outs of the medical industry) told me about a website that literally takes 4 minutes to sign up, qualify, and show you where to get your Lunesta at the biggest pharmacies in the country. I got my renewed today....the cost: $19.91 "

20DollarsFor30Pills (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on and off ambien for 6 years. Well I decided to try lunesta 3 mg. It gave me a nasty metallic taste for a whole day. I couldn't go to sleep. It was horrible."

scarlettmple (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take lunesta and it worked fine but I went back to ambien. Then I stopped both and my insomnia is back a year later. Personal issues. I decided to try lunesta because ambien would make me so tired I couldn't wake up in the morning. With lunesta I can wake up before my alarm clock. That's exactly what I needed. I haven't tried taking it for more than 2 months. Hopefully the effect doesn't wear off. If so I'll have to just go back to Benadryl."

Flickertheflame January 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"l took this and it help me sleep because I had brain surgery to stop my seizures and all others have side effect of possibly causing seizure so I took this one. The one bad side effect was that I was alone and depressed and it made my depression worse. So don't take this if you r depressed. I was just glad my son phoned me"

epilefty (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I originally was prescribed 2mg, which stopped working after a few weeks. I then was upped to 3mg which worked like a charm, but then after a month or so, again stopped working. And if my sleep was interrupted it caused me to feel drunk. I still take this, but I take it now at a pill and a half. It's frustrating that tolerance builds up so quickly, but otherwise it works well if you follow exactly how to take it."

Katybwonder November 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't like it at all. the first time i took 1, 2mg pill, it made me sleep great. but after that, nothing. like taking a sugar pill.it also leaves this nasty copper taste on your mouth for a day or days. everything you drink and eat is bad. yuck. back to my ambien"

BILLYBOBB (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"10 days on Lunesta (generic). Not sure why doc suggested I try it, as I'd been on same low dose of ambien for 3 years, good results. Anyway, had the metallic taste, just annoying but I slept so ok. After a day or so waking up more, sleeping less. Took an extra 1/2 last night -total 4.5 mg. slept, but today all day major headaches and nausea. Not sure what to do tonight-wishing for backup benedryl. Calling doc tomorrow-will request back to ambien."

LDW29 November 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It definitely helps me go to sleep but keeping me asleep is where I run into issues. I wake up just as much as before. some morning nausea for the first few hours but other than that it is fine."

Timmmay November 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ahhh LUNESTA! I absolutely love this stuff. I started taking it when I was put on an anti depressant that gave me severe insomnia as a side effect. That went away as my body got used to the AD, but I do get insomnia here and there and Lunesta is my drug of choice. I used to use either Benadryl or Melatonin for my occasional insomnia, however, I find Lunesta is the best at putting you in a nice peaceful sleep, and not make you too groggy in the morning. Most people criticize Lunesta for it's "metallic" taste, but I have a ridiculously simple solution: Don't let the pill touch your tongue! I fill my mouth with water first, push the pill through my closed lips, and then swallow. Never had the bad taste since doing that! Try it out!!"

Dee K (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started Lunesta last night 3 mg and it did nothing for me so I took another and nothing. I have tried ambien 10mg and trazadone 500mg a and I felt like I had a cup of sugar my insomnia is really bad. Does anyone know of a really good sleep pill that actually works?"

mollyann43 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"What you read about Lunesta's taste is so right. Lunesta is GROSS. Is took about 20 minutes for the "taste" that everyone complains about to show up. It did not help me sleep at all. I was half awake all night and when I was asleep I was having weird dreams. It's 12 hours later and every time I sip water or anything it still tastes like I chewed a tylenol or something. "Bitter" or "metallic" taste is an understatement. Did not work, tasted horrible. If I could give this back to the pharmacy I would. Back to Ambien for me."

39 in Ohio (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did absolutely nothing for me. It was as if I had taken a sugar pill."

JoJo4785 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lunesta is now generic so the cost is low. I take 3 mg at night and sleep 7-8 hours. It's been such a godsend for me. I have terrible insomnia."

dizzylady1957 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay, the original lunesta was extremely effective, I received samples. For 330 month I couldn't get prescription. So years later they have a generic version. I got a months worth for 111$$. At 3 mg nothing......so I try 6mg.....nothing no bad or good to report! These pills are FRAUD!!!! I'm well accustomed to meds and the generic I took did nothing. I'd get more effect from sugar pill!! I'm getting this so others can see not all generics are equal. There are various companys. I didn't know this, so if you suspect your med isn't up to particular like it used to be.....check the maker!! I'm very upset about this. I'm out $111 for the month for a fake pill made by the company"

Reality generics September 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"To be honest Lunesta has never worked for me. "

Clgly September 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazingly effective. Leaves me calm during the day as well. Great sleep with no side effects."

Mary O. August 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, Had an interaction with celexa and caused ocular migraines. Scared the hell out of me I though I had a stroke or brain aneurysm. Complete blindness in my right eye, that thank god came back gradually over a week. And when it did on bits of the ocular field would come in all statically. Trial and error, I tried it off and on twice over a month with the exact same out come."

TJ King (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lunesta is helpful because it promotes a gentle rest state. I had changed from Ambian,which at times caused me to be cranky and jumpy.Lunesta will take some time in the evening to work,but I found some good sleep with this. Make sure you are monitored by your MD,Keep meds away from children and pets.If Lunesta is used responsibly it can be a good med for bad insomnia"

sleeplessinsuburbia (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started ambein. Took for years. I built a tolorence. Now on lunesta at 3mg. Worked for about a month and now I am back to sleepless nights :("

sleepless in greenville July 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works pretty well after using it for several years. Works best on a totally empty stomach. Have had a glass of wine after taking 3 mg and for some reason it doesn't work as well for me. I wake up after only a couple of hours. All in all, I think it works great. I don't have the memory loss that I sometimes experience with Ambien."

Labnightshift (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took imovane for 2 months earlier this year to help with insomnia caused by anxiety from a health scare. It worked great in putting me to sleep in minimal time. The taste wasn't ideal but not a big issue, and I had no other side effects. But on stopping my underlying anxiety increased. I recommend it more for occasional use to avoid psychological dependancy."

mizzy83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015