User Reviews for Lunesta (Page 3)

Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

"Ahhh LUNESTA! I absolutely love this stuff. I started taking it when I was put on an anti depressant that gave me severe insomnia as a side effect. That went away as my body got used to the AD, but I do get insomnia here and there and Lunesta is my drug of choice. I used to use either Benadryl or Melatonin for my occasional insomnia, however, I find Lunesta is the best at putting you in a nice peaceful sleep, and not make you too groggy in the morning. Most people criticize Lunesta for it's "metallic" taste, but I have a ridiculously simple solution: Don't let the pill touch your tongue! I fill my mouth with water first, push the pill through my closed lips, and then swallow. Never had the bad taste since doing that! Try it out!!"

Dee K (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started Lunesta last night 3 mg and it did nothing for me so I took another and nothing. I have tried ambien 10mg and trazadone 500mg a and I felt like I had a cup of sugar my insomnia is really bad. Does anyone know of a really good sleep pill that actually works?"

mollyann43 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"What you read about Lunesta's taste is so right. Lunesta is GROSS. Is took about 20 minutes for the "taste" that everyone complains about to show up. It did not help me sleep at all. I was half awake all night and when I was asleep I was having weird dreams. It's 12 hours later and every time I sip water or anything it still tastes like I chewed a tylenol or something. "Bitter" or "metallic" taste is an understatement. Did not work, tasted horrible. If I could give this back to the pharmacy I would. Back to Ambien for me."

39 in Ohio (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did absolutely nothing for me. It was as if I had taken a sugar pill."

JoJo4785 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lunesta is now generic so the cost is low. I take 3 mg at night and sleep 7-8 hours. It's been such a godsend for me. I have terrible insomnia."

dizzylady1957 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay, the original lunesta was extremely effective, I received samples. For 330 month I couldn't get prescription. So years later they have a generic version. I got a months worth for 111$$. At 3 mg nothing......so I try 6mg.....nothing no bad or good to report! These pills are FRAUD!!!! I'm well accustomed to meds and the generic I took did nothing. I'd get more effect from sugar pill!! I'm getting this so others can see not all generics are equal. There are various companys. I didn't know this, so if you suspect your med isn't up to particular like it used to be.....check the maker!! I'm very upset about this. I'm out $111 for the month for a fake pill made by the company"

Reality generics September 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"To be honest Lunesta has never worked for me. "

Clgly September 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazingly effective. Leaves me calm during the day as well. Great sleep with no side effects."

Mary O. August 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, Had an interaction with celexa and caused ocular migraines. Scared the hell out of me I though I had a stroke or brain aneurysm. Complete blindness in my right eye, that thank god came back gradually over a week. And when it did on bits of the ocular field would come in all statically. Trial and error, I tried it off and on twice over a month with the exact same out come."

TJ King (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lunesta is helpful because it promotes a gentle rest state. I had changed from Ambian,which at times caused me to be cranky and jumpy.Lunesta will take some time in the evening to work,but I found some good sleep with this. Make sure you are monitored by your MD,Keep meds away from children and pets.If Lunesta is used responsibly it can be a good med for bad insomnia"

sleeplessinsuburbia (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started ambein. Took for years. I built a tolorence. Now on lunesta at 3mg. Worked for about a month and now I am back to sleepless nights :("

sleepless in greenville July 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works pretty well after using it for several years. Works best on a totally empty stomach. Have had a glass of wine after taking 3 mg and for some reason it doesn't work as well for me. I wake up after only a couple of hours. All in all, I think it works great. I don't have the memory loss that I sometimes experience with Ambien."

Labnightshift (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took imovane for 2 months earlier this year to help with insomnia caused by anxiety from a health scare. It worked great in putting me to sleep in minimal time. The taste wasn't ideal but not a big issue, and I had no other side effects. But on stopping my underlying anxiety increased. I recommend it more for occasional use to avoid psychological dependancy."

mizzy83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

""Wow"!! That pretty well sums it up. I have been an Ambien user for the past few years. As much as I hate to admit it I found myself abusing the medication. Even worse yet, I was sleep walking & sleep cooking almost every night with huge holes in my memory. I asked my doctor for a sample of Lunesta yesterday. He gave me the 3mg right from the start. The nasty taste hit my mouth within the first 15 minutes of taking it. I woke up 2x during the night due to an alarm on my dryer, but was able to fall right back to sleep. I did wake up with a horrible headache. Not sure if it was from the Lunesta or not. I will try again tonight and see what happens. I to would give this medication a 10 if it were not fo the nasty taste."

Katie H (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took my 2nd Lunesta last night. It was the first time that I have slept through the night in over 5 years. And it was a good, pleasant, restful sleep. I was so happy this morning that I teared up. The horrendous metallic taste that lasted 15 hrs kept it from a 10. However, taking the pill with 24oz of water helped tremendously. After years of waking at 2am for hours at a time, I started Ambien but that didn't help so I moved to Ambien CR. I still woke up several times a night (2-4x), ate some crazy concoction but went right back to sleep. I was happy with that improvement. Due to insurance changes, I was thankfully forced to find another sleep medication. In hindsight, Ambien CR sleep was angry, forced, stressful."

Michelle102571 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I needed this to travel. In the past ambien and sonata did not work for me. Now I can look forward to my trips. Will take the bitter taste anytime, for a good nights sleep."

aprilr (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped to fall asleep, but woke up after 1-2 hours. Tried it for 2 weeks."

Hav1 April 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had insomnia for years until I found lunesta. this drug is.truly lifesaving. In the 6+ years I've taken it, I probably only had a handful of sleepless nights. unfortunately, just this year, my insurance will no longer pay for it. I could get it approved and pay 90.00 a month but I refuse to do so. I believe insurance should pay for everything your doctor rxs for their patients. I was forced to try ambien. OMG!!! talk about a hangover with NONE of the fun."

Val-doggie March 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Extremely effective until I developed a tolerance. The unpleasant aftertaste is due to an increase in the pH of the saliva/mouth environment. I found that taking Lunesta with an acidic drink such as orange juice prevented the aftertaste. Chocolate, the darker the better, will reduce the taste if it occurs."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had severe insomnia for years and have tried everything from diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Ambien, temazapam, and trazodone. Honestly most of the above work except I have to rotate every few weeks between them. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, the one sleep aid that works the best for me is a strong dose of Benadryl. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and Benadryl is the one tried and true medicine that works all night. Because of other meds I'm now on, I can't take it any longer and have to take a prescription sleep aid."

Anonymous777555 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has been working great for me, I am currently taking this with Klonopin and have been getting the best nights of sleep I've had in years! I have tried them all to, Ambien CR, Sonata, Rozeram, Restoril and lorazapram to help calm me down before sleep. For some reason with everything but Lunesta, I would always end up waking up in the middle of the night and never be able to fall back asleep. I don't wake up groggy with this medicine either, am literally feeling the most rested and energetic during the day that I can remember filling since I was a kid."

Sampson2269 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About 45 min after I took 1 mg. I was laying in bed and started shaking uncontrolled, my heart beat would intermediately race, with sweating. I did this for about an hour and a half then my fingers twitched for a while. It did the opposite, And kept me up! My Dr. told me that I had the less common adverse effects and not to take any more Lunesta."

bumble400 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from spinal pain in the lumbar region. I receive Lumbar ESIs from my pain management doctor, but I never can get to sleep even with a good bed and pain medication. So he gave me some Lunesta samples and I finally slept like a baby in spite of my back pain. I still have a bulging disc and receive injections, but the best thing in the world is 3 mg of Lunesta for a great nights sleep! He wrote me a script and I take it every night now."

kwbridges October 28, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My first taste of Lunesta was as part of a study to see if "sleep enhancements" lowered blood glucose levels. I don't know about that BUT, I immediately found that my former energy level was back and with that my high spirits as well. It was as though I had, for years, been sleep-walking through life and have been throughly awakened. My problem was not insomnia, rather poor quality of sleep. Like another commenter, my dreams are back and not just the ones that I have while I'm sleeping!"

happiness is not an illusion October 8, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really bad insomnia, 40 years now. Lost marriage & job as result. Can't take Klonopin more than twice a week, or builds tolerance. Ambien (Zolpidem)--eh--too much causes sleepwalking, too little means up every 3 hours for next dose. Started 3mg Lunesta 1 week ago. 1st one, nothing. Waited 1 1/2 hours. 2nd one-same story. 3rd one--started-- to feel something, but still, no sleep. (4 hours have gone by) #4 put me to sleep for rest of night. Now take 3 all at once, sleep maybe 2 hours, than have to go for #4. Will start taking 4 all at once tonight. Insurance wouldn't pay (Sept 2014), $324 for 30, i.e., about $1400 a month. Can't afford that. Will dance between Klonopin, Ambien & Lunesta. (And/or nothing at all to keep Lunesta cost down)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2014