User Reviews for Lunesta (Page 3)

Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

"Really bad insomnia, 40 years now. Lost marriage & job as result. Can't take Klonopin more than twice a week, or builds tolerance. Ambien (Zolpidem)--eh--too much causes sleepwalking, too little means up every 3 hours for next dose. Started 3mg Lunesta 1 week ago. 1st one, nothing. Waited 1 1/2 hours. 2nd one-same story. 3rd one--started-- to feel something, but still, no sleep. (4 hours have gone by) #4 put me to sleep for rest of night. Now take 3 all at once, sleep maybe 2 hours, than have to go for #4. Will start taking 4 all at once tonight. Insurance wouldn't pay (Sept 2014), $324 for 30, i.e., about $1400 a month. Can't afford that. Will dance between Klonopin, Ambien & Lunesta. (And/or nothing at all to keep Lunesta cost down)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2014

"Ten years ago I developed terrible insomnia. I am a lawyer, and getting 2-3 hours of restless sleep a night nearly ruined me. I was first on Ambien, which never gave me real rest. Eight years late, I am still taking 3 mg of Lunesta every night. I sleep 7-8 hours every night. I have never developed a tolerance to it, never had sleepwalking or other issues. In fact, on Lunesta, I dream! My sleep cycle is pretty much normal. This has given me ten years of steady sleep, with no real side-effects. When I go off it for a night or two, I have no major rebound issues. Lunesta has literally given me my life back, and the confidence I will sleep every night."

sleepinglikeababy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2014

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"About 6 months with Lunseta at first it put me to sleep quickly but I would still wake up approximately 3 to 4 hrs later. I also am an occasional sleep walker, my Dr would not even consider Ambien. Sonato 10 did zilch for me. Unfortunately I have done sleep cooking on Lunesta with no memory. Almost a fire though. Now Lunesta barely puts me out even after taking time off last month because of cost. Sad and desperate for sleep!"

apen (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2014

"After taking the pill I get into bed expecting to be awake forever, however before I know it I am sound asleep. Usually sleep through the night, but not always. Interestingly the next day I am much calmer then usual. Not sure if it is because I finally got a good night sleep or if it is a side effect."

zzzzzzzzzz February 16, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Lunesta...way better than Ambien. Ambient made me crazy, memory loss. Both in same class but Lunesta is my BUTTERFLY! A little melatonin. Great sleep..saved me. Oh and 1mg of Klonopin."

ceec23 February 2, 2014

"I have been taking 1mg Lunesta for years. As in the ad, " ... works like a dream" for me. Went from 2-4 hours sleep a night to a solid 7-8hrs and it helped me retrain my sleep cycle. Lunesta seems to allow me to relax and fall asleep with no side effects. After about 6-8 years, slightly less, but still effective for me."

nrm (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It's expensive but works. To bad my insurance won't cover it."

deckerp November 11, 2013

"I have taken Lunesta 3mg for around 6-7 years. It takes about 45 minutes to make me start nodding off. I had the metal taste when I first started using it but don't have any problem with that for years. I got insomnia when I had a hysterectomy years back. I use to take Trazodone and it worked great but gave me a headache every morning. Be sure not to eat any snack near the time you take you take Lunesta that interferes with absorption and falling asleep time. I think it might make me a little more depressed. However, if i don't sleep I would be a raving loon! Nothing worse then laying awake and you head won't shut-up. I would like to be able to fall asleep without medication but it just doesn't happen without Lunesta."

Crazy Diamon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is the only medicine that has really helped me. Love it but so expensive and insurance won't pay. Luckily my Dr. gives samples to tide me over until I can afford. Bad taste is worth the restful sleep. "

sleepinglikebaby September 27, 2013

"Used it for one night, had nightmares all night, restless, tense, weird taste in my mouth....YIKES. Longer story: Used Ambien for almost a year then needed something to last all night. Had to try Lunesta before insurance would cover Ambien CR. Tried it for one night and it really was that bad. I was so happy to see it was time to wake up in the morning so it would stop."

jpruislaf August 30, 2013

"I have really really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doc prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after awhile meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and if needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose."

KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2013

"I have to be in bed by 8 pm to get a full nights sleep for work early the next morning. I've never been able to fall asleep that early on my own, but Lunesta has been awesome. It does not make me sleepy, but 15 minutes after taking it I lay down and just go to sleep. At first I found I would wake up 4 or 5 hours later, but my doctor recommended taking melatonin with Lunesta. Doing this (I take the 10mg time release melatonin) I sleep all night, easily wake up with the alarm clock, have no bad taste in my mouth, and am not groggy at all. I do not take it on nights where I do not have to get up early the next day."

RickinFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2013

"Lunesta gave me the metallic taste and i only slept a few hours. Ambien gave me nightmares. I am now on an old one called Halcion but I never sleep through the night. Help needed or suggestions of something that might work without that awful taste the next day."

jillinthewoods (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2013

"I've had sleep disruption for many years. I took Ambien for years, now Lunesta. Gradually reduced from 3 mg to 0 mg, with zero problems. My mind was clearer. With new severe stress & sleep disruptions again, recently went back on Lunesta. Started with 1 mg, then 2 then 3. Trouble is, now still waking up after about 4 hours, then waking and sleeping throughout the next 4 hours. I also use Belleruth Naperstacks "Sleep" guided imagery CD to fall asleep and her "General Wellness" $ "Stress and Anxiety" in early morning or Jon Kabat Zinn's "Body Scan" during those 4 hours when my sleep is intermittent. I'm finding that I am sleepy and tired when I get out of bed now at 3 mg & feel overly medicated, yet it isn't working well after 4 hours."

Sleep Solutions (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2013

"The only problem, besides the aftertaste, is that I find I need to go to bed within 10 minutes of taking the medicine or the sleepy effect just doesn't happen and I'm left tossing and turning the rest of the night."

Judy777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2013

"Wonderfully highly recommended"

TMAC2008 March 24, 2013

"Lunesta is a wonderful medication; I have used it daily since 2006. It works just as well today as when I started. I fall asleep quickly and sleep the entire night. Waking up is no problem. The taste in the early mornings is there but I don't mind since this drug works so well. For those whom insurance doesn't cover, go to Lunesta website for coupon. "

insom (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 13, 2013

"Works great I love it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2013

"I have taken Lunesta 3mg for about 5 years now. Never have had bad dreams or any instances of sleepwalking, etc. I take it & about 45 minutes later I am fast asleep until my alarm clock goes off. Prior to finding Lunesta, I had insomnia for years & I cannot tell you how much of a lifesaver this medicine has been! Tried Ambien but it did not work for me at all. Also tried Sonata, but would wake up a few hours after going to sleep. I've had no problems with tolerance, either. The only "bad" thing is the crappy taste in one's mouth, but I discovered that brushing my tongue when I brush my teeth before going to bed gets rid of 90% of it, along with using Biotene mouthwash (the dry mouth brand). Hooray! My insurance will now cover it, too!"

ItsyBitsyMe December 4, 2012

"Dry mouth, nausea, horrible taste"

Insomier (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2012

"Put me to sleep almost every night at first, however, never felt like I had a great nights sleep. Then after a few months it became less effective. Started waking at five o'clock and needing to take supplemental medicines to get some sleep. Am switching to something that might also help with anxiety too. (By the way, did not experience the foul taste thing at all.)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2012

"Lunesta works very well for me. It does leave a metallic taste in your mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2012

"No bad taste, no side effects. No effects at all, actually. Everytime I've taken it, nothing. I don't feel tired, I don't sleep. The only thing that happens is I'll get a mild headache."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

"I have insomnia worst than most people. I'm 21, I compete in body building and and I'm in great shape. I never get tired. If I get 3 hours of sleep a night I can still function fine the next day. But it shot me into horrible anxiety and depression from lack of sleep. I've tried all the sleeping medicines. There's no doubt Ambien will knock you out but I always wake up 4 hours later. I just started taking Lunesta because I was so desperate to get sleep. Lunesta the first night helped me sleep 8 hours. The second night, "last night" it took about an hour to come into affect but I definitely slept 9 hours. No bad taste. I feel amazing. It definitely works all night . If you need a full nights sleep, please try it."

luke101 April 6, 2012

"Didn't make me tired at all. About 20 min after taking it the horrible taste kicked in. Water doesn't even taste good. It's awful. "

Catlady 22 February 29, 2012