User Reviews for Eszopiclone

Also known as: Lunesta

Learn more about Eszopiclone.

Eszopiclone Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Eszopiclone to treat Insomnia

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "In three short weeks this drug wrecked my body. I got a skin rash that got infected within 10 days. First I thought, okay, this is weird. I didn't connect it to the Lunesta... but it was all downhill from there. Brain fog, memory problems, getting lost while driving, etc. Then my whole digestion system crashed. I'm talking severe pain in my stomach, constant nausea, no appetite, and constipation that would not move without a laxative. Then my body launched adrenaline to fight back. I started switching from fatigue to adrenaline, back and forth. After one ER visit and numerous urgent care trips, I realised it all started with the Lunesta. Buyer beware."

VB Girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "I've been on Lunesta now for approximately 8 years. I take the 3 mg does at this point and usually take it every other night. The few nights that I can't fall asleep within 30 minutes or so, I'll take 1 pill and normally I can fall asleep within the next half hour for about 6 hours. When I do fall asleep at bedtime without taking a Lunesta, I'll usually wake up at 2 or 3 and can't fall back to sleep. Taking a Lunesta at that point will give me the additional 3-5 hours more of sleep. After taking it for so many years, I don't even notice any metallic taste . I usually do not wake up feeling groggy or tired. Works great even though I'm concerned about long term unknown health issues. Don't want to grow two heads.."

Klatu (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "I've taken Ambien more than 10yrs ago had a scary reaction, I've also taken OTC Sleep Aids including Benadryl is a complete waste sometimes with Benadryl I'd end up waking up in middle of night having to take more & so on! LUNESTA IS THE ONLY THING THAT EVER WORKED FOR ME. I'd take it 30 mins before bed but my husband would literally have to pick me up off couch and put me in bed because it worked faster than 30 mins I'd wake up feeling fabulous...I also can tell you when I was pregnant in my last trimester they gave me 5mg of Ambien bc they didn't know much about Lunestas effects during pregnancy...so I took half of 5mg didn't work took entire 5mg didn't work! LOVE LUNESTA!"

AMHNLM (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "Started Lunesta after a failed try at Trazadone and Prazosin and some other kinds. I've been taking lunesta as needed for the past year. I'm currently on Adderall and come off it here and there to make sure I can still function without it. So when I go back to taking my adderall, sleep isn't an option. With the lunesta, it shuts my brain off and sleep the whole night. Yes, I have slight metal taste but I fall asleep before I actually notice it. I honestly wake not groggy at all, that's why I love it. But yes, I gotta be careful and not get hooked on taking this stuff and have an dependence."

LaraWit July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For those having problems with generic Lunesta not working, I have found that the MacLeod manufacturer works well, but definitely NOT the Dr Reddy's and the Mylan manufacturer--stay away from those"

inibikita (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "I am new to Lunesta I was taking 10mg of Ambien until it stopped working. Dr started me out on 1mg, which didn't do much, as I need as much stuff that would knock a horse out. Very high tolerance. I don't know if I should try 2mg? Got the yucky taste in mouth and its still there this am. Any suggestions?"

Treated'n'released July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "Doctor switched me to this after Ambien was no longer helping, as it would actually prevent me from going to sleep at all during the night. I have to say its pretty great and makes me go to sleep within an hour, no bad side effects and wake up feeling refreshed."

Anonymous July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "I gave this product 3 stars only because I have a high tolerance even though I am a tiny woman, so my experience may not be the norm. That being said, I had been using Ambien for my insomnia for quite a few months and it was starting to take hours before it would put me to sleep. My Dr. recommended we switch it up to see if another product worked better. I took Lunesta for only two nights before I knew it was not for me. Not only did it keep me awake, but it made my heart race and heightened my already bad anxiety. I immediately switched back to Ambien and I will stay put w that. I'm writing this as I hope this helps someone else like me. Had I read some reviews like this, I would have never switched over."

Cam0990 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "Beware! This works, but if you ever are without it- you'll not sleep. Withdrawals are a little rough if you are trying to come off use another otc sleep aid while off. My insurance quit coverage and I had to get thru without it . Not easy."

Kville mom (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Lunesta since 2010. Worked like a charm. Definitely left a metallic taste even the next morning, but I did not care because I could sleep and wake refreshed. I immediately switched to the generic once available and had no issues. However, earlier this year I noticed that the medication no longer had the metallic taste BUT I also noticed that it stopped working. It is obvious that the manufacturer has changed the inactive ingredients to do away with the side effect of the metallic taste but now the medication is NOT working and I don't know what I am going to do."

Hazleygirl June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "Bad taste in my mouth and noticed it immediately-- like I'm sucking on quarters -- my smoking does not help this taste lol um so first day, took it because I haven't slept since seroquel which is the only thing that has worked for me and because they don't have it on formulary in some parts of the states which sucks for me- and took it three hours ago and look at me blogging about it "

Madny (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Generic brand doesn't not work for me at all. I couldn't sleep woke up several times at night. And then when to get up for work had a pounding headache. However The name brand work great how much more expensive."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "First had anxiety so agreed with doc to take Lexapro daily in the morning. It worked wonders. But then I realized I was still not sleeping well. Back to doc, who suggested Lunesta 3 mg. Have taken this combo since 2006 and can honestly say the 2 Meds have saved my life. Have had to add Wellbutrin in am with Lexapro, but am a fan for life. FYI: have been able to wean Lunesta down to 1.5mg at times; and am hopeful that eventually I can give it up entirely. I have stayed at 1.5mg dose for maybe 4 months at a time. But then life events tend to make me need the 3 mg again. Bottom line, I am lucky that these 3 Meds work for me. I wish everyone out there to find the right recipe for sleep and peace."

Dbe May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Neurologist prescribed eszopiclone 3mg to replace klonopin for nocturnal myoclonus. Klonopin had daytime cognitive effects for me. Eszopiclone initially worked well. But I woke up after 5 1/2 to 6 hours, even if it's 3am. No getting back to sleep. BIG problem now, pharmacies continuously change drug manufacturers, so I never know which maker of eszopiclone I'll be getting. Dark blue eszopiclone, with a beach ball shape does not work at all. My neurologist and two pharmacists also getting feedback that not all generics of Lunesta work. Pharmacies state that they can not order from a particular company because this is a controlled substance. Can anyone help me? Is anyone in this forum having better success with a particular drug manufacturer?"

TooBadTobums (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "I took 3mg my first night. I was so groggy, I don't remember anything from about two hours before bed and I had the WORST TIME waking up this AM. I was so groggy and cranky and again can barely remember anything until I started finally getting up and around. This is super strong, I took 3mg, but for someone who goes days without sleeping, I'll take these side effects over no sleep any day. I am taking the generic. At least give it a try. I have to for insurance purposes and I'm pretty glad I did. My doctor says the grogginess will fade after a while."

Ktbuggg12 (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ever since I was a child I had sleeping issues. It would either take me all night to go to sleep and wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. This med is awesome because if I wake up in the middle of the night and I still have 3 hours to sleep I can take it without having to worry about being drowsy or discombobulated."

Mickey E (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My pill has changed it was a tiny little blue blue. It's now beige with ez 3 and and an M o. The opposite. Seems like it doesn't work like the little blue pill I've taken for months."

OhSoTired (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medication last night not effective I fell asleep for a half hour then wide awake nasty taste in my mouth feel like crap all day and depression I'll try it one more night if it does not work tonight I'm definitely going to stop taking it and try something else I have severe insomnia I was on Ambien for 2 years build up a tolerance so I'm trying others."

Anonymous35 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found Lunesta effective if I didn't eat anything for about 3 hours before taking it. Ambien scared the crap out of me. I had a seizure because I ran out. Don't get hooked on Ambien it's terrifying."

dapperdog (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "I was taking Ambien 12mg, which in my opinion is the best sleeping pill on the market right now. I heard about Lunesta and I decided to give a try. My Doctor prescribe the 2mg. Hours passed by and I'm still waiting for it to kick in. Nothing. I made a huge mistake by changing from Ambient for Lunesta. Now I have to wait for a month to go back to Ambient. If you're thinking of switching or trying Lunesta. Don't even bother. I guarantee you Ambient is the best option"

Jdgim9 April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "Worked well at first, but then stopped working, I have to take 5mg melatonin every night, 6mg prazosin (for PTSD nightmares), and 50mg of benadryl now for it to promote sleep onset successfully. I feel my body wakes up around 6am, (depending on the time I take it mostly). I don't know if it's my body becoming completely dependent on Lunesta to sleep, or taking my Prazosin lasting only about 6 hours causes my blood pressure to rise when it wears off making me wake up, or if I have back issues making me awake after it wears off. I think since I have delayed sleep phase disorder, my body has become too accustomed to the medicine to remain asleep due to the long duration of action, in comparison to the short duration of action of ambien."

Mr. Yolo April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "60 days ; not effective."

jack b nimble April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lunesta (eszopiclone): "So, I've tried multiple sleeping aids. Temazepam and trazadone gave me headaches. Benedryl, NyQuil, hydroxyzine increased my restless legs. Melatonin was insufficient at max recommended dosage. Ambien was by-far the best at 10mg, but because I'm only 27, the doctor doesn't want to prescribe an addictive medication (her words). So I'm on Lunesta. It has a horrible taste of pennies, but if you put it on the back of your tongue and let it slide down while drinking, it doesn't cause it. But DON'T take a drink and let it swish around, bc it will leave that metallic taste! My insurance doesn't cover mine, but my pharmacy offers a discount card so I pay $30. 1mg is useless, I have to take 3mg to get any sleep, but better than no sleep."

SugarBrookie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't have crippling insomnia, but I cycle through rough periods of it. Zopiclone 7.5mg has worked well for me. I fall asleep within half an hour of taking it if I am in bed, lights off. It gives me a good 7 hours of rest most of the time, but I track my sleep quality and sometimes the quality actually isn't that great. I need to be in bed when I take it because if I stay up for more than ~30 mins after taking it, I can't fall asleep. Super frustrating, but avoidable."

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed the generic version (blue pill) because I had trouble falling and staying asleep. I would fall asleep in about 30-60 minutes, but only to stay asleep for 2-3 hours! Than, I was wide awake. This also left a horrible, bitter-like taste in my mouth the next day, especially when I drank water or tea. I would not recommend this. Perhaps, the brand name version doesn't have this nasty after taste and lasts longer. But, if your insurance does not cover brand name, I would skip this drug. I would go with Ambien. My Dr prescribed the generic version of Ambien and it works better than generic Lunesta! I fell asleep within 15-20 minutes of taking it and stayed asleep for about 4 hours. Still not enough sleep though..."

Baby Donks March 9, 2017