User Reviews for Estradiol

Also known as: Estrace Vaginal Cream, Estring, Vagifem, Yuvafem

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Estradiol.

Atrophic Vaginitis
5.7

Atrophic Urethritis
4.8

Summary of Estradiol reviews 5.3 144 reviews

Reviews for Estradiol

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "After years of successful use of Vagifem, I switched to Yuvafem and all my symptoms returned. There is no way that this drug is identical to Vagifem. I wish I had heeded the other warnings on this website and not wasted money on this useless drug."

Beeeaa December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrophic Vaginitis: "This review is for Teva Pharmaceuticals generic version of Vagifem. The applicator is terrible! Often it does not dispense the tablet. I never had this problem with Vagifem or with Yuvafem. Definitely a sub-standard product. Will try to find another option!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I'm glad I found this site as I now know that others are experiencing the same frustration with the generic form of Vagifem. I did well on Vagifem for 4 yrs. When generic Yuvafem was dispensed for my Rx I thought there was some decrease in potency. The packaging is awful - must use scissors to separate units or leave intact & carefully slice through foil with your fingernail to remove product-hoping that the pill remains intact in the process. Recently Yuvafem was replaced with a new mfg - Teva. I can't believe this is actually medication. My s/s of an 'impending UTI' (urgency, frequency) have returned after approx 4 weeks use of Teva product. Not effective at all."

FG88 December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estring (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "Used to help with painful intercourse but no longer helps. I have burning stinging sensation that has gotten worse. Only problem is when I take out the estring, about 2 weeks later itching and irritation is back. Is this how menopausal women feel without any help? I do not want to keep using this until I get a 2nd opinion that if its safe for long term use. I definitely helps a little. I've been using it for maybe 2 or 3 years."

Juby December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estring (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I had a hysterectomy in my 20’s and was on premarin for 20 years. I’m currently in my 60’s and about 6 years ago, I found sex painful, in large part because of vaginal atrophy and dryness. I have been using Estring for 5 years and it has helped. Putting it in and removing it takes practice. I insert it by pinching it and slipping it in sideways. It flips once it’s inside and with a gentle shove, positions itself where it belongs. Removing it involves a split second of discomfort as it flips on its way out. I swim and bathe with it. Often, remove it for intercourse since my partner would feel it. I have occasionally had some belly pressure and thought I might have a UTI. Removing it for a day helped. No weight gain; just of a lot of walking!"

Simka (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrophic Vaginitis: "Can nobody but Vagifem made a blister pack with perforated separations that actually work? Come on Teva Pharmaceuticals, can it really be that hard? Hopefully the quality of your product is not reflected by the low quality of the packaging. It's impossible to separate the packaging using the perforations without also using scissors. Otherwise the perforations don't separate and the foil tears."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I did well on vagifem. Now on Yuvafem the itching is ridiculous. It does help the vaginitis smell but I am itching like mad! I thought I wasn’t doing it regularly enough or too much so I tried both for a month each. Now I am calling the doctor to cancel this prescription. I can’t afford vagifem right now but THIS ISN'T WORKING. And yeah, the pills all fall out of the applicator and don’t seem to dissolve well. Plus so much environmental waste!!"

KateM27 November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "Absolutely hate the packaging. Vagifem's was so much better. I need scissors to cut the applicators apart, versus just tearing with Vagifem. Two times in 2 weeks the tablets were found stuck to my slippers or pj bottoms because they fell out. What a crappy packaging method and applicator issue that would be so easy for them to correct! As far as effectiveness goes, I see no difference between this drug and Vagifem, but I still wish I could use Vagifem - too expensive though."

NicknameDeeDee November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrophic Vaginitis: "This vaginal insert by TEVA is horrible! Applicator does NOT release the tablet when inserted! The insertion and proper placement of the tablet has failed 9 out of ten times! Difficult to digitally insert and place vaginal tablet. So frustrating! Have previously used Vagifem with no difficulties, and Yuvafem as well, (much less costly), but I will check with my Doctor and Insurance to see if I can go back to Vagifem. I am experiencing much more urinary urgency since using the TEVA product. Really poor product performance!"

Mscheef November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "The applicator does not hold in the pills. They fall out and cannot be replaced in the slit in the applicator where they belong. I complained to the manufacturer (Amneal). Dr. Hemang Maisuria, Dir. of Drug Safety, responded that I should just "carefully put it back into the applicator for insertion. Please keep your hands clean and dry while handling the tablet." Also suggested the problem was "potential mishandling during transport of the product after leaving Amneal's control." In other words, we take no responsibility for quality! Fortunately, there are options to this product!"

PattiKatherine November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I too was on Vagifem for about 1 1/2 years when my Insurance switched me to Yuvafem. After 2 months I was getting a lot of Hot Flashes and the Vaginal dryness started to come back, I did appeal to my Insurance Company and they just approved for me to get the Vagifem back instead. I have a feeling my copay will go from $30. to $50. but it's worth it to get results. I had no issues with insertion or anything like that but do believe either the pill dissolved too quickly or too slowly and that is why I was having my symptoms return"

Tekay (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrophic Vaginitis: "The applicator has a 100% fail rate. The pill does not release. The applicator mimics another brand - but not well. Poor quality. It would be easy to not realize the pill remained in the applicator and then to discard it. The applicator is also likely to pinch when it snaps to release. Ouch. Finally, the packaging is poorly designed and makes it almost impossible to separate individual units. Both applicator and packaging needs to be fixed immediately."

Yvonne Dona November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrophic Vaginitis: "I had a generic vagifem that worked fine but I'm not sure of the manufacturer. Last refill I was switched to one manufactured by Teva. What a waste. I insert the applicator but the pill does not release. It's like throwing money away."

SherW November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estrace Vaginal Cream (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and having dryness problem so Dr prescribed this. After using this for about 6 weeks I started cramping like I was beginning to start my period again and my breasts were hurting so bad just like the old days! Called my doctor was taken off of it immediately due to previous breast cancer and she said the estrogen from it gets in the bloodstream."

Cramps (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estrace Vaginal Cream (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "Help! Can anybody who has had burning after using this horrible creme tell me how long does the burning last? Anyway how do you stop the burning? I put it in once and have been burning for 24 hours... any way to stop the burn??"

Anonymous October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "Applicators are uncomfortable. Not as effective as Vagifem for some reason even though dosage is supposedly identical."

BrklynGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estrace Vaginal Cream (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I have tried to use it several times in the last few week. After each application I have Burning. I am going to quit!!"

Trish1010 October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "The packaging is too much. Too much foil that rips and cut your fingers when you’re trying to tear one of the applicators off, which does not come off evenly ever. On at least two occasions there was no tablet in the applicator, therefore useless. One time the applicator didn’t have a plunger and I could not get the tablet out to insert it manually. Never ever had any of these issues with Vagifem."

Cjg12 October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "This product is far inferior to Vagifem. I am so sad insurance companies are forcing us to use this due to expense. Packaging is terrible and I don't get anywhere near the comfort and relief as from Vagifem. I'm not sure how they differ but it should be removed from market or fixed. I've used Vagifem for 8 years due to dryness and feeling like a UTI. I've now had 5 UTIs in a row and feel Yuvafem is part of the problem."

Jefs (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "What is with the disposable applicators? I'm a grown woman and can handle pushing a pill inside my own vagina. What I can't handle is throwing so much plastic straight into a landfill. Vaginas don't have to be uber-sterile. I can't justify so much waste, so even if this stuff works well, I'll have to try something else. I guess the cream has a reusable applicator?"

ChickyLawndart October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estrace Vaginal Cream (estradiol) for Atrophic Urethritis: "Yesterday was the first time I used Estrace Vaginal Cream. I have experienced burning and throbbing. I will not use it again My co-pay was $146.73. Wish there would of been samples. I could of saved the money."

Hysto September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I had good results with this in using it for 1 month as directed. I found it easy to use. I didn't experience any negatives like others mentioned. The only problem was the cost. $95.00 a month and that's with insurance. I asked my doctor if there is anything cheaper and she told me to used Crisco 2x a week and Yuvafem once a week. I have and it works! I have not experienced pain during intercourse and I cut the cost of using Yuvafem in half. It sounds weird, but I thought it was worth sharing."

Becky w September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yuvafem (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "As others have stated the packaging is awful. Pills don't stay on the applicator, or fall out after being inserted. Had to switch from Vagifem to Yuvafem in Jan because of insurance cost. Going to be 65 in Nov so I want to make sure I'll be able to afford Vagifem. On the generic, I've had a strange discharge I never had before, vaginal tearing during intercourse and more urgency. Thank you to all who have shared their experiences. I don't feel alone in this. Our doctors need to know there is a huge difference between the generic and original brand (Vagifem)."

Rosie NC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estring (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I had a hysterectomy @ 22 so my Dr. prescribed this over a year ago. I'm not as dry but still pain from the thinning of the walls. Hopefully after a longer time this will get better."

mirehc (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estring (estradiol) for Atrophic Vaginitis: "I have been post menopausal x 10 years due to my ovaries being removed. When I first put the ring in it was very painful. (why is it so large and relatively inflexible?!) I went to sleep and by morning it was much better. It must have moved up to a place that had more room nearer the top of my vaginal cavity. I couldn't feel it anymore. I can't say I really noticed much of a difference though after 3 months. The worst part was that I couldn't get it out. It was up so far that I could feel the top of it with my longest finger but I couldn't hook it. I had to go to the doctor to have it removed and that was very uncomfortable. It was not good for me at all. Maybe better for women who are just entering menopause."

janlan02 September 2, 2017