User Reviews for Doxylamine to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Sleep Aid, Unisom SleepTabs, Nighttime Sleepaid, Equate Sleep Aid, Aldex AN, Fast Sleep, Care One Sleep Aid, Doxytex, Aldex AN Chewable, Nytol Maximum Strength, Equaline Sleep Aid, Medi-Sleep …show all brand names

Doxylamine has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 186 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 54% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Doxylamine Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxylamine

JellyBelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2021

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Unisom is essentially a similar active ingredient in Benadryl, just 50mg rather than 25mg. Works like a charm to put me to sleep. Takes about 20 minutes for the drowsiness to kick in. Wake up fine, a little sleepy but a shower rectifies that in no time.”

Tjb113 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2021

“It worked for me quite well at first with just half a pill. Then it seemed half a pill wasn't working more and more often so I had to take a full pill. Now I've reached a point where even a full pill seems to do nothing. It definitely does appear you can develop a tolerance and who knows how long you'd have to cease use for that tolerance to fade. It took only 3 months of usage to build a tolerance to the point a full 1 pill dose is ineffective.”

Purple · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 6, 2021

“Have been using Dozile on and off for 5 years. I have always had trouble falling asleep, initially 1 tablet was way too much and left me drowsy in the mornings so I cut it down to half, now I only take 1/4 of a tablet with 1-2 panadol and fall asleep quite quickly and sleep till morning.”

Liza October 21, 2019

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I take 1/2 unisom pill every night. I fall asleep with 15 minutes. I sleep 8 hours. I will wake up a few times but fall right back asleep. If I take a whole pill, I will sleep 12 hours and be groggy all day. 1/2 pill works perfect for me.”

Sleeplessinnj · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Oh my goodness. I have taken Benadryl every night for thirty years or longer. This is much better. I sleep like a baby and feel rested in the morning for the first time in decades. I love Unisom and won't go back to Benadryl. The prescriptions like Lynsey's or Ambien made me hallucinate and feel pretty bad in the morning so I never continued them. Unisom has been awesome! Highly recommend it.”

Bree · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2020

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “This drug Unisom saved me from losing my job. I recently started getting intense sleep anxiety right before bed, and have often been staying up for 24+ hours without any sleep because of it. Right before I would drift into sleep, my brain would stop me and make me hyper aware of everything. I picked this up at the store and have taken it along with my normal meds, and I've been able to sleep for the past 3 days.”

Dottiegirl April 15, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I have taken Unisom for over three years now and I'm a severe asthmatic with chronic shortness of breath and I have had no complications from the sleep aid. After taking it and awakening in the morning I've never experienced any side effects. I wake up feeling rested and with full of energy. Best sleep aid on the market.”

KT1975 · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2013

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “It actually works! I have had sleep issues for years-the prescription meds do nothing for me. The Klonopin I was taking to help me fall asleep stopped working so I tried Unisom Sleep Tabs and it took about 30-45 mins to kick in but I was able to fall asleep and STAY asleep. It's the first time in a long time that I slept through the night. I was groggy when I got up, but a shower and some coffee woke me right up.”

RR · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2018

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I used to never have a problem sleeping; however, within the last year I have been waking up in the middle of the night, and then it takes me several hours to fall back asleep (usually just before my alarm goes off). Now I take 1/2 a pill and I either sleep through the entire night, or if I wake up I am able to fall right back to sleep. I also feel good in the morning after taking 1/2 a pill. Unisom has been wonderful during this time in my life. Please note: When I take a whole pill I am completely knocked out and lack motivation the next day.”

AbsRaiders · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Could not sleep 2 nights in a row. So I decided to try 2 Unisom tables. Took about 10pm. Slept amazing. Woke at 7.30 am took kids to school (felt like I was exhausted) went back to bed woke up at 1pm. Still pretty groggy and sluggish. Trying to wake up.”

Hr · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2021

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I suffer from insomnia I was even taking lorazepam for a long time but I had to stop because it interacted with another medicine I had to take so I decided to try unisom tablets after so many other sleeping aids failed and this worked great for me ! I used it for three days and I m happy to say I have been sleeping on my own ever since!!”

Evelove August 3, 2014

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I been having problems sleeping for year's and this is the first time I take something to help with my sleep. It actually does work but the only negative thing I would say it makes me sleep for to long I took it at 12am the other night and woke up at 1pm and i woke up feeling awesome but I can't be waking up that late.I think maybe I should just take it at an earlier time.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I am a healthy 21 year old but have trouble getting and staying asleep. I have tried melatonin and I feel it may help me get to sleep but not stay asleep. The other night I laid awake until 5:30 am trying to keep my eyes closed with no luck. So the next day I researched some over the counter sleep aids and Unisom had great reviews, so that day I picked some up. I took one at ten that night and started getting sleepy an hour later. By 11:30 I was fast asleep. Although I woke up a few times throughout the night, as I usually do, I was still tired and found it very easy to fall back to sleep without tossing and turning for ten minutes at a time. I woke up at 9:00am the next day felling minimally drowsy. I will continue to take Unisom”

Smoothie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2018

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I/2 tablet knocks my husband out for the night and he’s groggy the next day (he’s a big guy....225lbs). I can take a whole tablet and not sleep most of the night. I weigh 145lb. So this drug affects everyone differently for sure.”

Newslady · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2015

“Using the drugstore chain's own brand of doxylamine succinate. I am a 79-year-old woman, with a long history of insomnia. I have tried other remedies, but find this the most effective, with virtually no adverse side effects. I have discovered that half a tablet is sufficient to give me a good, solid eight hours of sleep, with any slight grogginess disappearing very quickly in the morning. I don't take it every night because of concerns about dependency, so it usually amounts to not more than 2 or 3 nights a week. Enthusiastically recommended.”

hscolnik November 26, 2011

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Takes an hour to kick in but lasts a long time and will give me eight to nine hours of sleep. It has a very long half-life (9-15 hrs) and can leave me feeling drowsy for a long time throughout the day.”

ROSERED · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2019

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Last night was my first night trying unisom after using Ambien CR for 14 years. I was a little skeptic but to my surprise it worked really well. I took almost two and a half hours to kick in but it did . Took it at 19:30 I was out at 22:00. Feeling good this morning no side effects!!! I would recommend”

Brian · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Took this for the first time and it completely knocked me out cold woke up after 10 hours sleep, I did not even hear my loud alarms on my phone next to my pillow. When I got up I struggled to walk, I walked sideways into my bedroom wall, got to the bathroom and almost fell in the shower, I live alone and it's a good job I didn't slip & bang my head. The rest of the day it felt like I had lead weights in my feet & strange pressure in my skull. Not taking this again.”

MamaZ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2019

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “Been having trouble sleeping for a year and this is the only OTC medication that helps. I take 1/3 of a tab and wake up with zero drowsiness. Love it and will continue to take it for as long as I need to”

Chronic Insomniatic March 5, 2015

“Does it work? You bet it does. I have suffered from insomnia for 18 years so I know when I'm asleep or not. This med is wonderful in keeping you asleep for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. This med is also effective in getting you to sleep. The downside. My God is it drowsy. I'm usually a guy who doesn't complain but this med makes you super drowsy. In addition to the drowsiness, it will make you irritable because you don't feel good. In conclusion, I would recommend it because the psychological benefit of knowing you slept slightly outweighs its side effects. I hope this info helps. Best of dreams.”

Lyss61910 October 4, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I've had ongoing problems falling asleep/ staying asleep- benadryl never worked for me. I got desperate one night and took some night time cough syrup which worked! I checked the ingredients, saw "doxylamine"-key ingredient in unisom - and have been successfully using unisom to get to sleep when I need it! No side effects, I take the recommended dose (1 pill)”

frisbie December 14, 2011

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I have taken just about every over the counter sleep aid, and all prescribed ones as well and this works pretty well for me. I have to take the maximum dose of Ambien to even feel drowsy, this is much cheaper (no insurance) and works as well or possibly a little better. DO NOT TAKE ANY MORE THAN RECOMMENDED. ”

pafsome? July 30, 2015

“I have been taking doxylamine for the past 10 years. This is a Kirkland product, 25mg tablets. If I take a whole tablet it knocks me out and I am numb in the morning. Still, it is the only sleep remedy I've had success with and when I try to discontinue, because of the uncertainty of long term use, I don't sleep. At 76, I am doing my best to retain my cognitive function and I have serious questions about the long tern effects of this drug. To sleep or not to sleep, and I will choose sleep whatever the risk. I find that I can take 1/2 tablet and that has the desired effect...even 1/4 will sometimes do it. I would love to hear about the experience that others have had, For me this is the only thing that works, and I have tried everything.”

Be careful: Cause of Dementia · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2016

“I can only encourage everyone to be very careful with this stuff. There's a recent study from the University of Washington that shows how antihistamines and their anticholinergic effects are essentially a potential cause of dementia. They block the action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain and body. 800 out of the 3,500 participants in the study developed early-onset dementia!! I've been very successful using good herbal sleep aids. ”

30yroldgirl March 7, 2016

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I actually find the gels a lot more successful to falling asleep and waking up alert. It sort of kicks you awake the next morning. The sleep tabs however, make you groggy the next morning. Try the gel caps!”

Kk · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“doxylamine definitely knocks me out but I feel odd the next day. My anxiety is through the roof and almost on the verge of panic attacks whilst feeling very irritable. I believe it stays in your system for quite sometime so this effect lasts all day. Probably not ideal for someone that already has anxiety.”

Sincerity65 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 27, 2017

Sleep Aid (doxylamine): “I have taken half a tablet of doxylamine succinate (Sleep Aid), in the evening, for about 3 years now. I originally took it for migraines, but discovered quickly, how it made me very drowsy after about 2 hours. It has NEVER failed to work. Taking a whole tablet made me sleep for 10-12 hours, now I get my 8 hours every night with half the dose. It is one of the safest antihistamines on the market. I experimented a few months ago, by not taking one, & I couldn't get to sleep, plus I got restless legs. So now I take it every night.”

Sophie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): “I have insomnia from sinus surgery that was botched, resulting in Empty nose syndrome... screws up the internal sleeping clock... awaiting surgery to fix it. . My doctor recommended Unisom I get the gel 50mg pill wow that knocked me out cold I was shocked. I decided it was too much since I'm a small person I got the 25mg tablet . Next day I felt sleepy, dropsy all day, so I cut the tablet in half and will try that to see”

Learn more about Insomnia