User Reviews for Doxylamine

Also known as: Aldex AN, Aldex AN Chewable, Care One Sleep Aid, Doxytex, Equaline Sleep Aid, Equate Sleep Aid, Fast Sleep, Medi-Sleep, Nighttime Sleepaid, Nytol Maximum Strength, Sleep Aid, Unisom SleepTabs

Doxylamine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxylamine to treat Insomnia

"Like many reviews on here, I get mixed results with this med. Sometimes only need 1/2 tab, other times full tab. Sometimes get good sleep right through, other times not. Sometimes have severe grogginess in morning, other times not. Sometimes have vivid dreams, other times not. But generally speaking, the med is always more effective than not taking it. It’s well worth a try for anyone who has trouble with sleep, and perhaps far more effective and safer than heavier prescription drugs for sleep."

Josh2476963 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2018

"I am a 49 year old, very active and physically fit woman. I had been having trouble falling asleep several times a week, sometimes from stress sometimes for no reason. Tried unisom 25 mg and within 30 minutes I always fall asleep and stay sleep for at least 7 hours. No groggyness in the morning, I get up, work out and go to work. Again, I only use this about 2 or 3 times a week."

Cbear (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

"I was taking 50mg of Phenergan (2 tablets) for a year and gained a considerable amount of weight. When I stopped I have had terrible insomnia and it has not ceased for a few years. I usually alternate between restavit, Valium and Zopiclone but I am fearful I am becoming addicted as have to take large doses of Valium and Zopiclone now to have any effect. I would like to stop all benzo and z drugs but am hesitant to take restavit every night because I am afraid of the weight gain. I know it acts on the same receptor as Phenergan so I am interested to know if anyone has experienced weight gain whilst taking restavit long term?"

Jenny (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2018

"Works great for me. I try to limit my intake to 1/2 tab and only on the worst sleepless nights. No side effects apart from a mild groggy feeling in the morning."

Al (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

"I have taken unisom for several years. It keeps me asleep better than a lot of prescription meds but afraid it makes my tinnitus more severe."

Meme1951 March 19, 2018

"Always worked in previous times. I got Chemists Own recently I felt was not working. Now I have realised I am drowsy the next day and night. Not working fast enough but working for a long time. Will not be buying again"

Sharon (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "Often even taking these within 30 to 60 minutes of going to bed not only does not work but sometimes prevents sleep all night! Very ineffective. I am disappointed with the product."

Rick (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

"I have been taking 240 mgs of codeine a day for 23 years...I was miss diagnosed with crohns disease and now at 50 it is correctly diagnosed as IBS, so I'm withdrawing from that opiate. I experienced insomnia and was prescribed this. I took one at 8.30 went to bed at 9.20 took another at 11.30 and was still awake at 4.30 in the morning. . It is so frustrating as I do not want to go back to xanax to sleep....wish there was an over the counter option better than this...well , for me anyway this medication was useless"

Jo March 10, 2018

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "For some reason, after taking the 2 tablets, when I get the sensation of impending sleep, I’m jolted out of my “sleepiness” because of what feels like sleep apnea. I would guess, this medicine relaxes so much that my breathing changes... horrible feeling. So with that.... I got zero sleep!"

Mr Music (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"At first I only could take half a pill and it would last me throughout the night fairly well and woke up feeling good Throughout months of taking this I am now up to 1 pill per night and I could almost take more - so my body def gets use to it. I’ve been happy with the results and haven’t experienced anything negative. Def pleased :)"

LaurenGR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2018

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "Used as directed to help me get to sleep, took the gel pill, made me even more awake. Tried the other unisom with the other sleep aid medication, just made me dizzy, with dry mouth, and kept me awake. These are a joke!!!!!"

Big Lebowski (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I have been experiencing insomnia for the past several years. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. My doctor has prescribed Amien for my insomnia but it only works some of the time so I started adding the sleep tabs. I have read reviews where people have to only take 1/4-1/2 a tablet to sleep, me I can take 2 or 3 with Ambien and still stay awake for the night. I'm not sure why but it doesn't work for me. I'm working with my GP to resolve the issue because I can go for weeks on only 1 or 2 hours a night sleep. It makes it difficult to focus and be on my game at work. Just an FYI for those looking for something that works..."

Sleeplesss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2017

"This product works, not as well as Zolpedem but it works. I know that drugs work different on each person and can only tell you what it does to me. I first took it at 11 pm. Got very drowsy and slept mostly through the night. If I was woken up by my wife getting up or the cat jumping on the bed I went back to sleep. The problem is I woke up very groggy and it lasted till 4pm the next day. The next night I took one pill at 8:30 pm and I was groggy till 3pm the next day. Zolpedem made me sleep through the night and I woke up fresh and awake. I don't know if I can take this product very often."

edteach (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

"I have suffered from insomnia for decades and have tried many types of drugs for this issue. I'm currently tapering off clonazepam and have found the Unisom tablets very helpful. If I take half a pill I fall asleep within an hour and usually am able to go back to sleep in the night. Took a whole pill last night and slept soundly. I feel a bit tired today and will try to make do with half a pill from now on. Nothing worse than insomnia!!"

Cat mom (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

"going back to the start here's some back ground knowledge. Before I took a quarter of this pill I wasn't having extreme or memorable dreams, if I was having dreams I didn't remember them, which is the norm for me. But a couple of weeks ago I took a quarter of one pill to get to sleep, as I had heard they were strong and only needed a small amount. I give it thanks to making me sleep the whole night, but it made my mind alter, I was having extremely disturbing dreams for a week, some of which seemed so real. I don't recommend this product - stay away from it"

Blair loui02 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

"Use it often as I'm going through menopause and having difficulty falling and staying asleep. Works well for me and have no side effects. I buy it and it is very reasonably priced."

Momma Bear 1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2017

"A half of a tablet gives me 4 hours of sleep. One whole = 8 hours. Rarely do I have any after effects like drowsiness unless I was exceptionally tired. I use this very sparingly, all sleep aids can be psychologically habit forming even if not physically so. Only if I can't sleep for 3 or more days consecutively, or in periods of extreme stress. Tried many other products, only this one works great for me."

Icaru (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

"I have epilepsy and my main trigger is lack of sleep. Unfortunately, and ironically, my epilepsy meds cause insomnia. I started taking doxylamine over a year ago and for six months or so I was taking 25mg about once a week. For the last 8 months I take around 12.5 mg a night every night. I'm currently pregnant and its helped my morning sickness. The one time I didn't take it in over six months, I had a seizure the next day. My gp knows I'm on it and supports me being on it. Honestly its one of the best things that has ever happened to me."

Jessum September 6, 2017

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "Boy did this make me sleep. I never really woke up the day after I took it, but if I can count on this to make me sleep I am optimistic. A prior reviewer indicates that they do fine with just 1/3 of a pill, so I am going to try half and take it at least an hour before bed."

TGR4FR (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I was prescribed diclegis by my OB for extreme nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Diclegis is not covered by insurance so I researched what it was and it's basically unisom and Vitamin B6. Now the active ingredient is what is in the sleep tabs, not gels. The gels have diphenhydramine so if you are using this review to help ease nausea during pregnancy, make sure you are buying the sleep tabs. Anyway, I take one tab at night (Check it is the right dose doxylamine 10mg) and it totally works. I don't wake up feeling nauseated at all and I sleep through the night. I do feel a little groggy in the AM, but it's hard to tell if it's from the pill or pregnancy in general. Upon further research, I discovered that the tabs were originally so designed to help with nausea. Hope this helps!"

Kristyk61 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

"I have had sleep disorders all my life since I was about 12. I am now 60. I have sleep apnea and have been using a sleep machine now for 10 years. I too am a worry wart and when my cortisol kicks in, I'll go for weeks without sleep. I've always used over the counter sleep meds 25mg. Doxylamine off and on for 25 years afraid of addiction to them. I FINALLY asked my doctor about the usage and he gave me 100% ok on this stuff. Now I take one pill every night- get my 8 hrs, which is a new and wonderful experience for me! I prefer taking a little blue pill every night, and sleeping great than to spend one more night awake. I can only recommend doxylamine. Much less dangerous than taking prescription drugs for sleeping."

Buggers (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I switched to this due to all the hype about how great it is for sleep. It is completely ineffective for me! Does nothing at the typical dosage. I can get it to work at larger doses, but that does not make it worthwhile. Diphenhydramine has been much more effective, I have just been taking it so long- thought it was time for a change."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2017

Sleep Aid (doxylamine): "I have taken half a tablet of doxylamine succinate (Sleep Aid), in the evening, for about 3 years now. I originally took it for migraines, but discovered quickly, how it made me very drowsy after about 2 hours. It has NEVER failed to work. Taking a whole tablet made me sleep for 10-12 hours, now I get my 8 hours every night with half the dose. It is one of the safest antihistamines on the market. I experimented a few months ago, by not taking one, & I couldn't get to sleep, plus I got restless legs. So now I take it every night."

Sincerity65 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

"I am sensitive to this stuff. Half a pill is too much - next day downer and also bladder irritation. So I cut down and cut down. The pills I have just shatter into a powder when you try to cut. So I collected the powder in a little tube. I stick a finger into the powder and lick it off! I guess I am taking 1/6 of a pill. This works well and next day is quite OK. Dose is very personal. Better than 0.25mg Xanax."

Bou (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

"I was offered these by my pharmacist after taking Phenergan which had ceased to work. I took them now for three nights, didn't fall asleep for over an hour but stayed asleep until 8,30am, a small miracle and so much better than my usual routine, bed at 11pm, sleep at 2.30ish, wake until daylight, fall asleep when its time to get up. Next two nights I didn't need one, so far so good. Very pleased. Yes a bit drowsy in the morning but easy to work off when busy."

Sleephead May 6, 2017