User Reviews for Dofetilide

Also known as: Tikosyn

Arrhythmia 7.8

Reviews for Dofetilide

TEACH · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2020

For Arrhythmia: “I was hospitalized for 4 days for "tikosyn initiation." I had had arrhythmia for about 4 years, and it had become constant. After the third dose, I went into sinus rhythm. After that, afib reappeared for a time. It subsided, and I went home. I saw my doctor on Monday following my Friday release from the hospital. He felt I should stick it out as the attacks were not for long, and only occurred a few times a day, at most. Today, I am pleased to say that the attacks no longer stop me dead in my tracks, leaving me to the mercy of my recliner. I generally notice them when I am working around the house. I have not detected any unusual side effects. For the most part, I carry on normal activity and hope to return to the gym this month for swimming and using the cardio equipment. I like to say that dofetilide has been about 90% effective; however I may have more to say once I return to the gym.”

me · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

For Arrhythmia: “Had afib bad and felt sick, I even passed out for a few minutes. Good Drs but Dofetilide did not work at all, can see why it is not sold in Europe. I have no afib at all because of Ablation.”

jack · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2019

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Been on Tykosin for 5 years and still taking it.Have had no side effects and am very satisfied with the results.I keep in contact with my cardiologist and he is totally satisfied with the results. Taking 125 mcg and things are going well.”

Tara November 3, 2019

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “I was with persistent fibrillation for more than a year. However, I had no apparent symptoms. The exams and pulse recorded fibrillation. I was given cardio version that lasted only a day. Then a number of other medicines with no result. Was given Tikosyn in November 2018. The pulse rate jumped up after first dose but then came to normal. 500 mcg did not suit so the doctor gave me 250mcg dose. Since then no fibrillation. But have no appetite and it seems the weight has increased. Also feel a sort of memory loss. Rest is so far fine. I should see cartdio doctor every six month ( as what it says) but it has been 9 months he will see me after 11 months. I wanted an early appointment but no possibility. Can I see other doctor who is not a specialist or familiar with Tikosyn ? Any suggestion about loss of appetite and weight gain? Also it is too expensive. I get no help for payments. Each month I pay 100 dollar for only Tikosyn/ dofetilide.”

Yaiyai1967 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 11, 2019

For Arrhythmia: “I am young to have AFib (HR <220) had it for over 10 years with many years no one believed me. Diagnosed correctly, my Electrophysiologist loaded me for Tikosyn. Had a few problems at first, so he did the lower dosage of 125 twice daily. I took it for over 1.5 years, down side was one of my monthly hospitalizations, my heart stopped completely 30 mins b/4 discharged and for a present last year I received a pacemaker. In June, from complications of the ablation, it went up to 375 twice daily. I don't know if this is a life saving medication, because I still get episodes, but they are lower (<170) and they now only last up to 4 hours. I haven't been back to the hospital for my friendly visit since August! All I know is that right now it works for me The downside it will be the rest of my life... but my Doctor is hopeful that one day I will be able to reduce the dosage again!”

Carmel · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2019

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Tikosyn was and is the only thing that stopped my constant afib. We tried shocking and then ablation and neither worked. I didn't want to try Tikosyn since it required 3 days in the hospital, but since I was already in a hospital for the afib and dangerous blood pressure, I did it and am so glad. It has changed my life for the better. I have been on it for 4 months with no side effects. I forgot one dose and the afib started coming back so it was a reminder of how effective this drug is. I love it and I am someone who hates taking meds. For me, this has been a winner.”

Little Lou August 8, 2019

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “After an ablation I began Tikosyn 500 bid.I tolerated it except for the sudden appearance of arterial tachycardia the last day in the hospital. Three weeks later I was at my cardiologist. EKG looked good. Outside the exam room l suddenly could not breathe and passed out. No heart beat. 150 compressions. Still no pulse. A defribrillator shocked me back to life. It was so traumatic for my husband who was by me as he prayed for God to spare my life. I was in the hospital 5 days in a huge amount of pain. Thank God I was at the office when my heart stopped! The only factor that had changed was the Tikosyn. l somehow did not process it correctly, which caused ventricular fibrillation and heart arrest. I developed an arterial flutter for which I had a third ablation 11 days later. Now I am almost free of chest and back pain, but am still on oxygen since it is too painful to breathe well. This medicine is dangerous. Think carefully before you consider it. I am thankful to be alive.”

VA · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Read prior blogs. Afib continually since second ablation. First lasted 15 years. Tikosyn working 100% with only side affect a dull headache first couple days. No limitations to exercise and my life is back to normal. I was hesitant at first but would highly recommended for treatment of afib”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Started tikosyn about 6 weeks ago when sotolol was no longer effective. My issue is frequent PVCs that have on a few occasions resulted in VTac. Had the usual 3 day stay in the hospital and after the second dose, the PVCs went from every other beat to 1 every 20 beats! The PVCs are now even less frequent than that! I am now on 500mcg 2x a day with no side effects! Couldn't be more pleased. Praying that the results last!!!”

Sissy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2018

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Have had a-fib for 15 years. EP wanted to take me off Flecainide and switch to Tikosyn. Was having some a-fib episodes with rate >150 on Flecainide 150 mg BID, but otherwise worked well with Metoprolol Tartrate 25 mg BID. Spent the 3 days in hospital for Tikosyn 500 mg BID dosing. Was on Tikosyn for 7 weeks before discontinuing. Worst 7 weeks I ever had. A-fib was way out of control. I was rarely in sinus rhythm on the Tikosyn. Heart rate was between 40-150. Lots of irregular heart beats (PACs and PVCS), bad headaches, insomnia, dizziness, and SOB/breathlessness. MD did not want me to stop the Tikosyn even with the side effects. I had to quit working as an RN because the side effects were so bad. Went to a different EP for another opinion and he who told me to stop the Tikosyn ASAP. I gladly stopped. I cannot recommend this drug.”

bud · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2018

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “I went into afib flutter 3 months ago. Been on dofetilide 250mg since with eliquis. I reacted with it, so changed to asprin-82mg. I have now reacted with it that with gut and stomach pains, general discomfort, memory problems and brain fog too. But has kept me out of afib-flutter ,which I had for 3 or 4 days ,before I had cardioversion paddle. Blood pressure is high in am then goes down at night. On cozaar-50mg also. What to do?”

Fred · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 19, 2018

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “I went into Cardiac Arrest in 2013. Almost died. Emergency room Dr. finally got my heart started. ICID implanted but had another arrest 10 months later. ICID worked. Put on Tikosyn at that time. In past 4.5 years, I have not had one AFIB and Pacemaker kicked in once. I am a big fan of Tikosyn.”

bobred · Taken for 10 years or more May 7, 2018

For Arrhythmia: “I went on Tikosyn in November 2001 and am still on Dofetilide as of May 2018. I spent a week in the hospital back then and have not been out of rhythm since. I had congestive Heart failure in April 2001 which led to arrhythmia. I am now 52 years old.”

Yelko · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2018

For Arrhythmia: “I started taken dofetilide on 3/20/18. I have AFib. In the beginning everything was working fine. Three weeks later I stared having an itch, I was cold, I had pain all over. The Dr stopped the medicine for 5 days. I started back on it again and at that time I started having sort of a short breath. Or better said I had to take deep breaths and also had a heavy chest. I had so much pain I was not able to walk. The Dr stopped the medicine again and restarted yesterday. I have pains but not bad. I cannot go out for walk. I am puzzled. I don’t know what to do. I made an appointment to go for a second opinion. I have no AFib when I take the medication but the side effects are terrible.”

isei · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2017

For Arrhythmia: “After many months of suffering from Afib and trying all possible meds my electrophysiologist put me on Tikosyn and after first dose in the hospital I immediately converted. That was over 4 years ago. I am on 500micrograms twice a day plus Carvedilol 2x and Xarelto. I have eliminated caffeine and wine, only drink wine spritzer after dinner. No Afib since beginning, now am on dofetilide, a generic version of Tikosyn. Other than a stuffy nose occasionally or being a little thirsty during night only very positive experience for me. Also, of course, the high cost of medication, even the generic version is still costly. I am a 73 years old woman and wonder if I have to stay on it for the rest of my life to feel normal.”

Sal22 October 12, 2017

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Been on 500mcg Tikosyn taken twice daily for 2 months. Went into sinus rhythm after 2nd dose in the hospital. Experienced headaches and some chest pressure. After one month I began getting indigestion daily, gained weight while eating less, have daily headaches, exceptional thirst, and fatigue. My cardiologist said to continue same dose, along with 25mg metoprolol and 20mg xarelto for another 3 months. With the quality of life being less than before, I don't know if I can hold off that long.”

Lonniebear · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2017

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Due to Medicare requirements, I had to switch to Tikosyn when the Sotalol I'd been on for years wasn't working. Cardiologist suggested an Ablation procedure but until I had tried the Tikosyn, Medicare wouldn't approve the Ablation. The Tikosyn neither brought me out of the A-fib as they hoped nor has kept me out of A-fib. So to get the requirements all done, I have been in A-fib for approximately 2 months - unable to do much more than sit in a recliner all day - and I still have to wait another 2 weeks to be able to get the Ablation done. My ankles and feet have started swelling, so looking at another 3.5 hour trip to my cardiologist due to that side effect of the drug. Unimpressed!”

Lakath · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2017

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Put on Tikosyn (while in hospital) for 24 hours post cardiac ablation for A-fib. Doctors did not like the looks of the QT wave after 12 hours and reduced dosage by half. Doctors were still alarmed with EKG results after reduced dosage and 12 more hours; discontinued medication at that time. Next time someone tells me they want to put me on a medication so scary it requires extra days in the Hospital, more blood tests and EKGs in the middle of the night - and the possibility it could cause sudden cardiac arrest and death...... Decline! Just sayin.”

Negative · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2017

For Arrhythmia: “Side effects for me are pain & weakness in right leg, knee, ankle. Also, have had some afib. My INR has been dropping. Also, on Coumadin. Have been on Dofetilide for 2 mos.”

BobWL · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2016

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Went on Tikosyn 250 mcg twice daily for almost 5 years and it worked like 100%. No side effects that I was aware of. Did the 'guy' thing and took myself off of this medication. SR was good for almost 2 years and today I'm going back to the hospital for the 3 day stay. Always leery of oblation and cardioversion, but my cardiologist highly recommended the Tikosyn route once again. My wife is going to the hospital with me this morning... not as a visitor, but will try the Tikosyn route too! She has AF with a high pulse rate while my AF is the slower heartbeat type. Will check in in 3 days to let you know how well Tikosyn has done. We are both 74 years old and other than this AF thing, are in very good health.”

Anonymous October 26, 2016

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “I had an unsuccessful ablation in 2011. I was put on Tikosyn in the hospital. A-Fib was not constant . I went inand out of A-Fib for about four years. After that time it became constant. I gained weight, was tired all the time and experience lower back pain. Also, the cost of this drug created a financial hardship. My income did not allow me to get a discount!”

BestGigi July 19, 2016

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “I was given a Rx for Predisone to help alleviate bursitis in my hip. After taking the Z pack for 4 days I started have rapid heart rate.... I called the doctor and he said to go to the emergency room, I was admitted to hospital with a HR of 180. After several days of trying different options they decided to use the electrical shock method, doctor tried it 3 times and he said it still did not get into right rate, he called another doctor that specializes in the "electrical" part of the heart and he started me ton Tikosyn and Eliquis and within 4 hours my rate was normal. Then I had to stay in the hospital for 3 more days (7 days total).Having problems with feet & leg swelling and getting my diabetes back in acceptable range.”

jodin July 18, 2016

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “I went on Tikosyn during 4 day stay in hospital in Feb. 2016 for initiation. I had already failed 3 antiarrhythmics, and my second cardioversion lasted about a week, and I had had very serious side effects from flecainide and propafenone which both sent me to the emergency room. Four hours after the second dose of Tikosyn I locked into sinus rhythm and stayed there. I have had some 3-4 abbreviated runs of irregular HR lasting less than 2 mins. each from Feb. through July, but I'm still very happy. This is one of the few drugs I have ever taken that works, with no side effects that I am aware of. It has given me my life back. I am able to ride bikes, walk 3-5 miles per day, and generally feel normal.again. I hope it keeps working!”

cldr · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 9, 2016

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Been taking Tikosyn for about a year & a half. I've found that this is a great medicine for me! At this time, Tikosyn IS NOW AVAILABLE IN GENERIC FORM!! So grateful! The worst side effect was "sticker shock"!! In 03/2009, I was placed on Verapamil, Flecainide (Tambocor), Cozaar (Losartan) & warfarin (Coumadin). These did a pretty good job of taking care of things...but it got progressively worse until I really had no choice but to have an ablation. Had hoped that would "do the trick" but no such luck. Still suffer from a-fib occasionally, but it's NOTHING like what it had been before the ablation & switching to Tikosyn. SO grateful it pulls my heartbeat back to normal rhythm! Others didn't! No noticeable side effects. I'm happy!”

sliver fox · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 6, 2016

Tikosyn (dofetilide) for Arrhythmia: “Am completly satisfied .Have no side effects Absolute positive experience.”