User Reviews for Apri

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Apri.

Birth Control
5.7

Summary of Apri reviews 5.7 278 reviews

Reviews for Apri

For Birth Control "At first, the side effects were minimal, but starting around the 2nd-week depression slowly crept up and made me super miserable. I've switched to Ortho Cylen and feel much better."

M832974384279 November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Rated a 5 due to its effectiveness at preventing pregnancy but I stopped taking it after many years of this brand or the same ingredients in different brands because I've finally realized it is the cause of my frequent migraines, terrible moodiness and anger issues. I stopped taking to try to conceive and had been off it for about two years. All of those side effects disappeared at least a great deal. Now I've been back on for 6 months and all side effects have reappeared. Please if you are experiencing depression, anger issues, anxiety or similar issues don't write it off, it will begin to have a huge affect on your daily life."

Sylq November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My doctor put me on this BC 3 months postpartum and I've decided to stop taking after being on it for two months. I've bled the entire time being on this pill, mood swings, dark thoughts, very emotional, nauseated all the time, the bloating is so uncomfortable (prior to starting this pill I had my waist back and almost a flat stomach but now I look like I'm a few months pregnant again!) I have no drive, low energy (I'm sure from bleeding for 2 months), I just want to eat all the time, I've gained weight, overall this BC didn't mesh very well with my body. I'll be going back to taking Enskyce again, which I took for 3years with no issues."

Sally430 September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Apri for almost 5 years. I was originally put on it for acne but it's also been very effective as birth control too. My partner and I don't use any other form of birth control unless I'm on conflicting meds. My periods are regular and predictable, usually 3-4 days. I've gained weight, but I don't think Apri was the cause. Overall, Apri works well for me and have had no issues with it."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm on my second month of Apri, and honestly haven't experienced any side effects. My biggest concern was the whole blood clot issue, but my doctor says I'm low risk and healthy, so I need not worry. Only down fall, is you will be moody. Since I read reviews before hand, I'm in total control of my mood swings since I know its the birth control making me agitated. Weight gain? None. Boobs? Sometimes they're really tender and heavy feeling. Once I get in the sugar pull week those feelings subside. Overall, Apri has been good to me."

Miss Bee (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on April for almost a year now. It works great protecting against pregnancy and keeping my periods regular, which they don't happen exactly on the sugar pill day, but every time on Wednesday. But the down side to these pills is how big of a mental and emotional toll it takes on me. It gives me crazy amounts of anxiety, I've had anxiety a couple times in my life but it's an everyday thing now. It makes me feel like I've changed as a person. And makes me very depressed and have deep dark thoughts on life. I've always been an outgoing go getter type of person, but all I wanna do now is sleep and ignore my anxiety. I don't know if I should change it or stay on it and see if it goes away. But it's been happening for almost a year now."

Anonymous September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Apri was awful. My periods before I started taking the pill were 4/5 days then when I started, my periods became 16 days long. I was depressed. I gained a lot of acne when previously my skin was clear. I was on it for 5 months but the negative side effects were so clear. It absolutely wasn't worth it. With that said, it is an effective birth control option, just not for me"

Mags'123441 August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So far, I haven't had any problems with Apri. At first my feet swelled a little bit, and I was kind of bloated but that all went sway after the first pack. I've had Nexplanon which was the WORST birth control I could've ever got. It cause SO many health problems for me, mostly stomach problems. It made me lose a ton of weight, which wasn't very healthy for a 15 year old. I was on the Depo shot, and that made my moods CRAZY. I have pretty bad anxiety already, and the shot pretty much made it worse. I don't take any medications for my anxiety, because I don't believe I need to but I had to with the depo shot. It made me gain about 15 pounds, so I'm basically back to where I was 3 years ago before Nexplanon. Apri has been the best for me yet."

Anonymous 3 July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control was so bad that I had to stop after three months. I had a lot of side effects within the past three months, such as terrible acid reflex, nausea, heavy bleeding, migraines, and my face broke out terribly. This was definitely not the birth control for me."

Kaykayla (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Was put on this because of PCOS, did exactly what it was supposed to do. Got my period exactly every 28 days, no major side effects except for weight gain (part of which I blame for starting college at the same time). Didn't gain weight at first, then I gained 10-15lbs, and overall I gained 35-40lbs. It wasn't easy to lose the weight on this either, even with diet and regular exercise."

rafb (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was only on the pack for one month and had to stop as soon as I started the second one. During the sugar pill week, I had severe migraines which is something I never get. Those continued and then nausea was added to it. I threw up the other day and it looked as if I didn't digest any of my food from that day. This is definitely just a personal experience, but I am also definitely going off this pill asap. I got my period for 6 days so I'm definitely not pregnant. (Also took two pregnancy tests as an extra test) If you're looking for a pill, I would try a different brand."

user28474839394 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've posted here a few month ago and it's an update. I'm starting the 4th pack now, and almost everything I was complaining about went away! During the first few months I've gained around 10 lbs, my boobs became much larger (that was super uncomfortable, bc they're large anyways), I felt a little depressed and tired (nothing I couldn't handle though, I've been living my normal life). I couldn't work as hard as I wanted. Now I've lost all the weight I've gained and me is me again. Feels like magic. Also my tastes for food changed a bit. Something I loved does not taste good for me anymore, it's strange, but fun to experience."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is yet another update. Just finished my 4th pack. Worst experience ever in all of the birth controls I've tried combined. Like I said in my previous review, I was on loestrin fe, junel, and yasmin. This last pack made me start bleeding during the 3rd active pill week. Progressed into probably the heaviest period I've ever had. Made me nauseous and weak from the excessive blood loss. And made me so gassy to the point I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'm still on my period now, and it's been 2 weeks of non stop bleeding. I constantly feel like passing out. Asking my doc to switch to something else."

Lolitaagain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Apri for 4 months, I'm 20 years old. This is my 5th overall birth control but the best yet. I have had some over emotional moments or as I call them "birth control" cries but nothing terrible. My appetite isn't out of control, on my period though is another story. On this particular pill my period in much longer, around 8-10 days. Sex drive is pretty normal, and weight gain has not been out of control, as long as I watch my diet and get my steps in every day I stay in the 120-130 range."

lydiaME234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Gives me heartburn and indigestion. Also makes me nauseous. Prefer the depo shot, wish it was for more long term."

Kt639696 June 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm half way through my third pack and my face has been continuously breaking out so bad since I started taking Apri. My complexion is literally better off it, rather than on it. However, it has helped my periods but if my skin is still bad after I finish this pack, I'm switching to a different pill."

jessicalsullivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is more of an update. Been on this for a full 3 months now, about to go on my 4th. I've always had terrible periods (cramps, heaviness, fatigue, moodiness) so I was hoping the pill could relieve some of those symptoms. So far, I've found all of the pills I've tried so far (loestrin fe, junel, yasmin) haven't done a whole lot to rid of these symptoms. Apri is the same. Although my period is more predictable and more manageable in terms of pain, my 2nd and 3rd day of period is still very heavy and I still cramp a whole lot on the 2nd day. Made my skin clearer, and no problems of weight gain either. I also am not as moody as I was on yasmin. And no pregnancies yet, although a couple of scares since this pill can mimic pregnancy symptoms."

Lolitaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Taking this to move my cycle over. My periods are typically 4 supersoaker days with some cramping -2 days. My first month on this hellbent pill was constant cramping+nausea, 25 days of bleeding, and horrid mood swings, dark thoughts, deja vu and dizzy spells. Doc had me double up for the rest of this packet, now the bleeding is just sparse spots. BF is relieved to finally have sex, though it's painful because now I have low estrogen. Begged the doc to switch me to a different pill brand."

30F (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I've been on this birth control a little over a month, and now that I read some of the reviews I know I'm not crazy. This pill makes you feel depressed. I'm on the second pack and skipped the sugar pill because I did that with the first birth control I was on and my periods went away. Now I haven't got an actual period but I've been spotting for about 5 days now. Two of days I noticed more blood but still not a lot my regular periods are usually 5 days long so hopefully this is the last day of this weird bleeding. Also the blood looks different first it was very light like a pinkest color, than brown, the back to that light pink color then dark red and looks watery."

Audrid1234 May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So far it's been my first week taking it and I am not impressed. I've been nauseous everyday this week, gotten severe headaches, and now I am worried that my relationship is gonna be ruined because of the side effects this pill has on me. It's making me look and act like a total cow. which I'm usually not. I'm also very annoyed that my doctor switched me to this without warning. Jublier is a better brand."

Mothma May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Been taking apri for 3 months; First 2 periods were fine no cramps, pretty normal. My last period I had was the worst period I ever had. Was extremely heavy, no cramps but the heaviest period I've ever had. My boyfriend says he's noticed changes in my mood, I'm very irritable and sad all the time. I feel bloated all the time, I've gained weight in my face and stomach. My acne seems to be the same few break outs here and there. Some days I have a very low sex drive, some days very high. Overall it works, just makes you feel super insecure. Was doing fine for years without birth control I think I'll be fine for another few years without it."

..... (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am taking the second cycle now. In general, I'm happy with my experience so far and I'll keep taking it. Negative sides. During the first week, I felt sick to my stomach all the time and I was supertired, but it went away. During the third week, I had mood swings and felt depressed, but I always feel this way a week before my period, so it was normal to me. Also my boobs became larger and it's a little painful to touch them, but that's okay. Positive sides. It feels really good not to worry about becoming pregnant. My sex drive is the same or even increased, weight is the same, appetite doesn't seem to increase. Period is less heavy, skin is better, acne is disappearing."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on Apri for about a year. The first few months I would randomly get hot and feel like I was going to vomit. That went away after a few months. I never got pregnant but also used the pull out method. I was just hospitalized for two blood clots in my right arm and pulmonary embolisms. My doctor thinks the birth control is what has done this. I don't think I will ever take birth control again, not sure what to do now because I don't want children right now. I am a healthy 25 year old woman who should not have blood clots and so far they have found no other reason why I would have blood clots. Birth control is dangerous!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I an 18 this is my 3rd birth control I tried in a year, Did the job but I definitely noticed a lower sex drive and feeling super emotional. Crying at the thought of things and became super sensitive. I'm hoping to switch to one that suits me better as it emotionally draining being so emotional and sensitive, which has effected my relationship time to time because everything bothers me. I can become very irritable as well. Overall not great not horrible.."

...... (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Terrible!! I was spotting the entire time I was on this birth control pill so obviously not effective. Would not recommend, only got put on this version because my insurance didn't cover my other brand. Will be paying out of pocket and switching back."

ReEeena April 8, 2017