User Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

Apri has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 402 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 35% of those users who reviewed Apri reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Apri Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri

Skye · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2021

“Love this birth control. I was nervous before taking it because I read so many reviews about depression and mental health issues associated with it but I have none of those symptoms and I’ve been on it for about a year. Light periods and no weight gain for me. I am also a diabetic so this is a great birth control as it doesn’t affect my blood sugar levels as some other birth control methods have in the past. I would definitely recommend.”

Beaus April 12, 2021

“Hello! I’ve been taking Apri for 9 months now. I have tried 4 other birth controls in the past and this is by far the best! I have not experienced any changes in my mood, which is great as all other birth controls have drastically affected my mood. I also only had few physical side effects in the beginning. I had breakthrough bleeding and worsening of acne and changes in discharge. But after a couple months that all went away and now I have no side effects! Definitely recommend giving this a try!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2021

“This is the 3rd bc pill I’ve tried and it’s by far the worst. There’s barely any time during the month where I feel okay. The week before my period, week during, and week after I feel super gross and have low energy. I have gained 15 pounds in the past 2 1/2 months and it’s been super detrimental to my mental health. My depression and anxiety is the same as on any other pill but I have depressive episodes where I cry for no reason every so often on this. Do not recommend.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

“I took Apri for 5yrs. First 2yrs were great - light periods, skin cleared up etc. However everything slowly started to change. 2018 I found myself constantly worried, feeling like walls were caving in on me. My anxiety climbed everyday. Fell into a deep depression where I contemplated suicide. Started having violent thoughts - wanting to hurt those around me. Physical changes - gained 30 pounds in 2yrs, skin started to get greasy. I would sleep 12+ hours & still not have energy. Mood swings. Crying daily - not able to control my emotions. I decided enough was enough. I stopped taking Apri immediately. It has now been 2 months since then - I no longer cry daily, mood is significantly improved, skin is less greasy. My sleep schedule is learning to regulate itself, I have more energy. Apri for the first 2yrs was great. However, somewhere along the way that changed. It's possible that in the time I was getting older, my inner body started to change and Apri just no longer worked for me.”

Sufferfrompcos March 5, 2021

“After years of suffering with PCOS symptoms- Apri has saved me! It has eliminated most of my acne. First month was harsh, but I knew with how out of whack my hormones were, I was going to have side effects adjusting, so I bared down and now I'm in the last week of my third pack! First month I had the worst morning sickness, I didn't know how I was going to handle it. Each month so far I've thrown up at least once in the first week.. I find the more often I eat, the less I feel the sickness. I've gained about 15lbs. My appetite has started calming down this month. I went from an A cup to C cup so far so I stopped wearing a bra. Some nights the pain is so bad I have to massage my breasts. I don't find I'm holding much water weight anywhere. I have experienced some headaches but I try to sleep them off. My periods are already lighter, but still adjusting overall. The best thing from all of this is my depression & mood swings have depleted. I'm meeting with my Dr to renew my prescription!l”

anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2020

“I've been on Apri for about 4 years now. I've never had any serious reactions/symptoms. If you're seeing other people's stories about their struggle taking this pill please remember that everyone is different! Symptoms vary! It's been a long time but I believe I was slightly nauseous for a few days when I first started Apri but since then no problems at all.”

JZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

“I have been taking Apri for about 6 months now. For about 4 of those months, I have spotted heavily the week before my period, so basically I feel like I have my period for two weeks in a row. I asked my doctor about this and she said it is normal because I started the pill recently. I feel like by 6 months this shouldn't still be happening. Does this happen to anyone else on this pill?”

Anonymous July 11, 2010

“I started originally on Tri-Sprintec for about 3 months, which I believe is the generic of Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I was an emotional wreck, so my doctor switched me to Apri. I had absolutely NO symptoms whatsoever. I actually lost weight! Didn't increase my bra size, which could have been from the losing weight part. My acne cleared up within 2 months of starting Apri. It made my period so regular that I knew to the day down to the hour that I would start my period, with absolutely no spotting in between periods. I didn't really notice any changes in my sex drive. Overall, I would strongly recommend this pill!”

smh · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

“I am a 22 year old and I was only on Apri for almost three months and I couldn't handle the effects it was giving me. Before Apri I was on Tri-Sprintec for like five years and I had a breakthrough bleeding so my doctor prescribed me this. No joke, just two days taking it I started getting migraines and I feel into depression and I have never gotten migraines before. Since I was in finals, I had to fight through the effects but it was not fun. Before getting my period, I would get some strong cramps that felt like someone was stabbing me in my pelvic, having hot flashes, and wanting to just sleep all day. Including to this, my discharge started to become heavy like I would have to go to the bathroom to clean myself down there because I felt it leaking; was not fun. This was my effect on this and I don't think everyone would get this, this was how my body handled it. Just take precaution and ask your doctor too if this formula is okay for you.”

alive February 20, 2019

“Just over 1 year ago I went through a horrific medical event, one that almost claimed my life because of Apri. On December 9th, 2017 I went to the ER because I had what I thought was a severe migraine. They treated and released me. Only to go back on Dec11th -They had found blood clots in my brain so severe I had to have surgery and it ultimately saved my life. I spent 2 long weeks in the hospital. I have been through a crazy amount of genetic tests and all this point ALL of my doctors blame my Birth Control. Surprisingly I have no lasting side effects. Though I am told I am a rare case. You think the warnings cant happen to you...until it does. They tell me there are birth controls that are "safe" - but it is not worth my life. I want nothing more than to let people know that this CAN and DID happen. REALLY talk to your doctor, and do your homework before just accepting whatever they give you.”

Anonymous March 25, 2021

“I have been on this pill for one month due to hormonal imbalance so they put me on birth control to regulate me . This pill is bad. I am literally tired 24/7 regardless of how much sleep I get, I am nauseous all the time, loss of appetite, mood swings & just no energy. We took my kids to the park and I didn’t even have the energy to play. I also get insane hot flashes where I feel like I’m literally in a sauna. I literally feel terrible & stopped taking it today & plan on contacting my doctor tomorrow . Avoid .”

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

“This has been an awful experience for me. I’m having a polyp removed from my uterus and have to go on birth control for the surgery. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and since the start, I’ve had extreme nausea, bad headaches, tired all the time, moody, and trouble sleeping. I just feel awful! I do NOT recommend this particular pill!!!”

______ April 7, 2013

“This birth control pill is awesome. It made my periods even lighter than they were before, I get no pimples, I've lost 15 pounds, my breasts went from a B to a D, and emotionally I feel the same as I did before it. I would highly recommend it.”

Andi · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“Took one month of Apri in preparation for IVF frozen embryo transfer and it has been horrible for my mood. Every night I took the pill at 9pm and within 1.5 to 2 hrs my mood plummeted and stayed that way throughout the following day. I haven't been sleeping well, lots of laying in bed thinking. I just took my last pill last night and today am in such a horrible mood. It has been over a week I have not wanted to do anything during the day and been in nearly nonstop bad mood. I feel depressed, also had breast tenderness the past week or two and wanting lots of junk food. Honestly the depression/mood side effects were worse on my body than any of the hormones I was on during my 3 IVF cycles. Really do not recommend this drug and disheartening to see many others talking about similar mood changes.”

apri reviewer January 24, 2021

“I like this Apri brith control pill a lot! I was quite surprised running across all these negative reviews. I understand everyone has a different experience with Apri, and is affected everyone differently. Personally, I’ve had no problems although it’s only been a few weeks of being on it. If anything, my mood swings (from when I was BC free) have gone down DRASTICALLY. I feel much more chilled out and content. No cramping, headaches, etc. but slight anxiety. I have noticed a little weight gain but this is something that isn’t that big of a problem for me or detrimental. I was initially taking depo which caused me to bleed everyday straight for 3 months (the same amount I normally would at the start of a period, except EVERYDAY) and suffered from cramps from time to time and nausea. My doctor switched me over to Apri and so far I have little to no complaints. My skin has been consistently clear and I don’t feel fatigued.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 26, 2020

“if you are prone to anxiety or depression please be very careful while taking this Apri birth control pill. The first couple of months I felt very nauseous and would have the worst cramps around my period not to mention it made my flow heavier. I would get awful headaches the days leading up to my periods as well. I had anxiety before I started this pill but when I started to take it it escalated very quickly. I have been on this pill for a year now and it took until now for me to realize that it was making me lose my mind. I felt completely out of control in my thoughts and was making my anxiety spiral. I am now off of it and I feel like myself again. Be careful!!!”

Keekee · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 3, 2020

“I have PCOS. My first gyno (useless) put me on Junel which gave me a period every other week and gave me a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst after 6 months. Went off BC for a few years got a new Gyno who is AMAZING and she took a few days to get me the script for Apri (I think she was waiting for my blood work to come back, idk truly). I've been on it for 3 years and I've had a good time, I had no real symptoms other than my breasts increasing be one cup size. It also reduced the rate of facial hair growth for me, which is awesome, went from shaving ever other day to once every 4-6 days. I'm moving on to Kyleena due to high blood pressure, but I’ll miss Apri.”

KristiK27 February 5, 2016

“Was switched to this from reclipsen-works great for me. I think a lot of the reviews are from people who don't do well on a lower estrogen/higher progesterone pill. Ortho did to me what all the negative reviews on Apri said it did for them. You have to find what works for YOUR body. Don't get scared off by other peoples' experiences-everyone is different. This works well for my body, and is affordable.”

Ahmi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2014

“I was put onto Apri because I had horrible cramps and long heavy periods. I took it for about six months, and around the 5 month mark, my longtime boyfriend and I broke up. He told me it was because I was "too emotional" and stressed him out. He was right, before Apri I was always happy and relaxed, but on it. I would lie in bed at night and cry sometimes for no reason at all. I had constant fatigue, frequent headaches, mood-swings, moodiness, and felt depressed a lot of the time. After a conversation with my boyfriend, I realized that we began to argue about the time I got onto Apri. I went to my doctor and told her this and she told me that this was because its high levels of progesterone. I switched and am much better now without Apri.”

AllynApri November 21, 2016

“I was switched from Loestrin 21 to Apri a few months back because my periods were irregular and my doc thought Apri would be better for me. I like that there's placebo pills in Apri cause I was awful at taking 21 day packs. The first couple months were a little tough adjusting to the higher dose of hormones. I was super emotional! But that's normal. I'm on month 5 now and things are fine. I'm still a little emotional, but only "cry at something dumb" emotional. Nothing I can't handle. My periods are light and I barely have any pain. Close to no acne. My boobs seemed to have grown a bit, so that's cool. My sex drive seems to be a tiny bit lower, but I never had a crazy high sex drive in the first place. My husband and I still have a healthy sex life. I might have gained like 5 pounds or less but that might be because of my lazy ass and not the birth control :) best of all, I haven't gotten pregnant! I recommend Apri. Give it a chance and let yourself adjust to the hormones.”

Samsq001 September 1, 2018

“I was on this pill for nearly 6 yrs and my life had turned upside down. I had no clue that these pills drove me to depression, anxiety, paranoia! My gyno placed me on this pill due to amenorrhea, I started getting my period and some acne. Then I started developing these negative thoughts and emotions I couldn't control. I thought it was just my job and stress, but these pills started all this negativity swarming throughout my body. I feel into such a deep dark hole on these pills. I decided to do some reckless things. I accumulated debt and did what I thought I had to do to overcome this depression. I thought about death daily. I had pressure on my chest, intense anxiety. These freaking pills ruined a portion of my youth! They should be banned if possible! I’ve been off them for around 5 months now and truely feel at peace and normal again. I’m sharing this story in hopes no one has to endure. Avoid at all costs!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 30, 2019

“After 10 months of debilitating night sweats and sleep disturbances my doctor finally pinpointed it to Apri. Apparently this is a very common side effect which this medication. It also gave me horrible anxiety. There are plenty of other birth controls out there. Steer clear of this one!”

izh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 29, 2019

“I’ve been taking Apri since November of 2018. This is my first time ever being on birth control. During the first month, I was experiencing dizziness. I’m assuming because i would take the pill in the morning without anything on my stomach. When I switched my dosage to the evening (I’ve eaten by that time) the dizziness left. It’s very effective. My only issue is my weight. I’ve never had an issue losing weight, but I could gain weight rather quickly. It’s like I’m unable to lose weight. I’ve been Vegan for almost a month now, and I haven’t she’s a pound. I believe it’s due to this birth control. Since, i do believe it’s due to that, I’m going to stop this brand and method. I truly wish I didn’t have an issue losing weight because it’s very effective.”

Kate · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2019

“This pill makes my anxiety spin out of control. I don’t get panic attacks like I do with other pills, but I worry nonstop. I worry about everything from my dogs to getting in a car accident. I will lay awake at night worrying about one thing after another. I always feel a sense of doom. It also makes me feel very tired and almost drugged... it’s hard to get out of bed in the morning. I haven’t gained any weight, I lost a couple pounds but also changed my diet so not sure if it was the pill or not. My boobs are always extremely sore. It cleared my skin aside from the occasional zit here and there. This isn’t the worst pill I’ve ever taken but anyone with a predisposing to anxiety should watch it carefully. I get panic attacks on other pills and feel almost on the verge of that with this one.”

Raspkake · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2018

“I have to say the best birth control I've ever been on I have high free testosterone and diagnosed with PCOs. Still have sex drive an think Apri even increased it more. I haven't got any acne on it so far either. I'm not moody or anything that I noticed yet I've been on it 5 days so far. If I notice anything different I will repost.”

Anonymous April 4, 2010

“I have been on Apri birth control for 3 years now. I give it a 3 for the fact that it in fact helped me to get and regulate my period, at the very late age of 22. And that I am not pregnant. But I have worse acne now than I did when I was 13. I have gained a lot of weight on my hips and stomach. I have the worst mood swings and my sex drive is completely gone. It has caused a lot of problems in my relationship since I started taking it.”

Butta1629 January 23, 2012

“I've been takin Apri for about 3 wks now....my sex drive is extremely high, even 15-20 minutes after I take the pill. I've had sex more times in the past 3 weeks than I have had in the past 6months prior...no exaggeration. My breast has been extremely tender, which turns me on...everything turns me on....its ridiculous. I love it.”

SE · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2019

“I just started this and right now I am on the period pills. I feel horrible and have felt horrible since the very first pill. Legit nausea all the time to the point where I was waking up once or twice a week around 4am throwing up (I tried to take it around 12-2 with food everyday to maybe avoid this). I also experience uncomfortable bloating really bad when I haven’t even eaten much to be bloated. I haven’t even been eating much period because I’m nauseous all the time. Add mood swings, sadness, anxiety and headaches to the mix too. I just feel so awful and not myself so I DO NOT recommend this pill! I hope it gets out of my system ASAP!”