User Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

Apri Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 274 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

"I started on Apri a month ago. Was on Kariva for 6 months and then started bleeding during the 3rd week of pills that month so my doctor switched me to Apri as it has more estrogen to stop the breakthrough bleeding. It worked right away and I have had no problems or side effects switching to a higher dose pill. I am 42 and birth control pills have helped immensely with the pain I would have each month. My periods are lighter with no severe stomach pain so I’m praying Apri will keep working for me. It even helped with my headaches."

V · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

"Was effective with treating acne and not allowing me to get pregnant but was not worth the insane amount of depression it induced. It got nearly unbearable. Still recovering."

Cbk91 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 9, 2019

"I’ve been on Apri for a year and half and honestly it’s so-so. Hasn’t put weight on me (+) and hasn’t depressed me or made me incredibly lethargic (+). However it’s not perfect. I take it 3-4 months continuously- That helps some with the pain but I still have acne flare ups all the time and even ovarian cyst ruptures still (more rarely). My hair continues to fall out like crazy. I’ve reduced my Spirolactone to 100mg a day (doctor’s orders) and despite the THREE medications I still experience androgen-related symptoms like acne and thinning hair. Been thinking about changing but apparently ortho-cept has a weak/low androgenic effect so I don’t know WHY I’m having the exactly opposite side effects. I don’t want weight gain or lethargy but don’t wanna lose my hair either :(. I even take vitamins, proteins, and use special shampoo. I’m at a loss. Just tired of the acne and thinning hair "

Sydney · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

"I really wish I could rate this below 0. I haven't even finished my 3rd week of the Apri pill and I just spent 42 hours in the ER because this pill gave me a blood clot in one of my lungs. I knew something was off considering I started this medicine 3 weeks ago as soon as I started my period, and I've been on my period ever since. I felt nauseous my first week. I've had nothing but severe migraines and what I thought was heartburn but turned out to be clotting in my lungs. The chest pain was unbearable after the 3 rd day in a row of cramping every time I took a breathe. Highly recommend this if you enjoy spending time in the hospital hooked up to an IV, or if you enjoy having EJGs and CTs done!"

alcam · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

"I get my birth control online through a birth control subscription and they recently changed my script when I renewed my insurance information. So I switched to Apri and since then, my life has been the worst. I feel exhausted all day, I get cramping, stabbing, awful pains that lead me to throwing up. I don’t even get periods cramps. I felt bloated, nauseous, had no appetite. This effectively made me feel like I was dying. I sat on my bathroom floor until 5 am because the pains were so bad and I was throwing up. Definitely don’t recommend."

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2019

"I use birth control for period cramp relief. While on Apri my cramps are definitely not as bad as they were before, but sometimes still hurt to the point of having to take a pain reliever. Only side effect is unbearable hot flashes. I am constantly sweating and it takes a while for me to cool down. I can’t take it anymore and am in the process of switching BCs."

julz · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

"this was an awful experience for me. I fell into deep depression, couldn't leave my bed for 14 hours at a time and had really dark thoughts. I became a ball of anxiety everywhere I went, my mood swings were INSANE. I had a headache that literally lasted for 2 weeks straight and painkillers wouldn't do much, and the nausea I felt like I was going to vomit at the most random times, and every little thing irritated me so I was being annoying to my boyfriend, my friends and my family and I truly felt like I was going crazy. I forced myself to toughen up and a tleast finish the month (there were like 4 red pills left when I realized I didn't want to do this long term). Now I've reached the placebos so I'm waiting to get my period and then never touch this medication again . I reacted very badly to plan B as well so I'm thinking birth control pills just aren't for my body at all. In conclusion, unless you're lucky enough to not experience symptoms, this can and will mess you up !!!!! :("

Mq · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

"Apri has been terrible to me. I’ve experienced painful cramping (not on period) , bloating, nausea, loss of appetite, headaches, and I’ve even fallen into depression. I was all happy and energetic before the pill but once I got on it , I’ve had no energy and I’m always sleeping."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2019

"I went on Apri after my insurance changed the price of my other pill to $50 a month. (I'd been on that one for over 6 years without incident.) After 2 WEEKS on this pill, my very thick, curly hair fell out. A dermatologist told me that I had alopecia areata and general BALDNESS. He said I needed Rogaine for MEN because the women's formula wouldn't be strong enough for me. He said it couldn't have been this monstrosity of a pill since it was only 2 weeks, but it was the only change I'd made. I also had my first ever migraine while on this pill, and I felt sweaty, greasy and off. This stuff was POISON to my body. I stopped midcycle and paid for my other pill. Once I switched, I felt the difference immediately. Awful, horrible, terrible, very bad pill."

Jules · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

"I’ve been taking Apri for about 3 weeks now. Just after the first few weeks my boobs have been super sore and have grown to where everyone including my boyfriend notices. I have weird cravings and am getting hunger pains, but feeling full quickly. I am nauseous more than usual. This pill has made me feel pregnant just based off of side effects. I did missed one pill, but doubled up the next day with no issues. I do feel tired, and get small random headaches, but nothing unmanageable. Not too bad after being on depo for over a year. Lol"

Ali · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 3, 2019

"I’ve been using it for almost 3 years on continuous intake and I’ve been able to cease my period without spotting in betweens packs. I’ve been a pill user for almost ten years to stop my horrible symptoms when I have my period, and this is the only one where I haven’t experienced any side effects."

lala · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

"My pharmacy stopped carrying Enskyce, so I was switched to Apri. It's the same dosage but does not work the same. I was able to skip placebos with Enskyce. When I try to skip placebos with Apri, I have spotting or a full blown period. I take birth control to skip periods, so this experience has been awful for me."

Anonymous July 30, 2019

"This birth control is not for me. It can put me in the worst mood imaginable. If I don’t take it at the same exact time everyday I cramp the next day. Makes my boobs sore 2 weeks in & made my chin break out more. This is the 2nd one I’ve been on, I got put on BC for bad cramps and so far it’s helped but I still cramp. I do feel like I have lost some weight though."

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2019

"I’ve been on this birth control for almost 2 years and I never had a problem with it! I got on it because my cramps were terrible! I did notice that it never helped my cramps so I would just switch to the next pack, my skin was mostly clear with a pimple here and there, besides the cramps, I loved it! no bad symptoms what so ever"

RR · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2019

"I decided to get birth control & was prescribed Apri. I was 21 at the time & it was my first time getting/going on birth control. Apri has given me no harsh side effects. In fact it cleared up my cystic acne, regulated my very irregular periods, and has helped to minimize the severe back pain I would get during periods. Although I didn’t gain any weight, Apri did make my breasts grow. Taken on time, everyday, Apri has proven to me to be a very good birth control."

CW · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

"Not really a fan of Apri. It hasn’t caused any major issues, but I’m switching off because it’s made my acne worse and makes me sweat constantly. I think the acne is now worse from probably from how much it makes me sweat. Didn’t cause any mood issues, weight gain, or life-threatening side effects though."

Stargirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2019

"I was on Apri for about 3 years. Originally started birth control as I have irregular, painful, menstrual cycles and that’s apparently that was all they could do for a teenager with such “irregularities”. I loved it for a while because my period symptoms, and pain where basically non existent and my period was only ever 4-5 days along. No acne and didn’t gain any weight or anything. Before I got on Apri I was diagnosed with anxiety and depressive disorder. This pill played a huge role in what was an ongoing depressive episode for years. I stopped taking it in February and I still have my struggles but nowhere near as bad as I did before. So basically if you have a mental illness I suggest not taking Apri. There is a great chance it will worsen your symptoms."

Ravi · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2019

"I took this medicine from Jan 19 - Feb 19 to help control fibroids and anemia. It caused major issues with clotting ( never had a blood clot in my life ). The hypercoagulation led to blood clots in both of my lungs. I almost died. I would never recommend this medication to anyone."

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

"I’ve been on Apri for almost a month now with no side effects whatsoever. I was on the nexplanon and started having 40-50 day periods. I was switched to cryselle & then sprintec and my last period was about 60 days long. I was miserable. I stopped taking sprintec for 7 full days and started Apri & have loved it! Hopefully it continues to work well."

a · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 3, 2019

"I have been on this birth control Apri, for about four years and haven't had issues with it at all. The only downside is remembering to take it every day so I am looking into getting nexplanon now."

Bowie1970 June 25, 2019

"So I've seen a lot of bad reviews and I was kinda shocked. I used to take this some years back and because I didn't know how to get more or just too embarrassed to get more I stopped using it. My experience on it previously was really good I had no acne, no periods, no babies. My mood was always good a little more fiesty but I had more confidence. I lost weight probably 10 pounds I was a little too skinny. My sex drive was through the roof as well, which could be uncomfortable at times (I was single then). I went on different ones after that nuva ring gave me leg pains so I stopped it loestrin Fe I think. Those sucked so I went back to old faithful, my acne got really bad after I got off nuva ring and hadn't had acne since I was 17 "

Yeast infections!!! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

"Please do not use this pill. I was on it for a year and had yeast infections monthly--I took it for birth control and the yeast infections prevented me from ever having sex anyway. Also, my sex drive became nonexistent, my breasts hurt, and my period emotions fluctuated so badly--I've never seen anything like it before. (On the upside, I didn't have any side effects with weight or acne, but the lack of sex drive and year-long yeast infection really damaged my quality of life.)"

Michie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

"Horrible. Been on Apri pill about 5 monthss and stopped a few weeks ago. I started getting these brown spots on my face and thought it was another med. Then we're getting darker and in more areas (besides under my sunglasses) I found out it's melasma ( hyperpigmentation caused by bc pills & pregnancy aka pregnancy mask). I'm still treating it with vitamin c serum. Awful. 1st month okay with period. Following months spot/bleeding throughout, tender breasts, bloating & weight gain, crying... it's been weeks since I stopped and still suffering from some symptoms. Been on shot and implant and never had these problems!"

Anonymous June 23, 2019

"This pill sucks. I was always anxious but this actually made me depressed. Also I felt hungry every 5 mins and nauseous for the rest of the day. I always woke up dizzy, I broke out with acne. And I was always lightheaded and fatigued. Advice to people that don’t want to feel like rubbish never take this!!!!!!!! I’m warning all of you."

TCH27 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2019

"Wow oh wow this medicine Apri has messed my body up, to begin when I began taking it I thought I was going crazy. My body did not adjust well at all. I was so depressed and moody. I was on Apri from May 2017 to August 2018 and when I stopped taking it I felt instantly better, and happy. My only thing is my periods still have not returned. Again this was the worst experience ever."