User Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

Apri Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri

Miyaooh · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“I’ve been taking this birth control for 5 months now . I was kinda hesitant about taking them because I read reviews , but I’ve decided to give them a try . I can say this birth control saved me from getting pregnant. I still suffer from painful period pains . My weight is up and down . I was on levora before this one , but in overall thats all I can say”

Cass · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 29, 2020

“My doctor switched me to Apri because the birth control pill I was using before is no longer available. I’ve only been taking it for a little over 1 month, but I’ve already had 2 migraines. I’ve never had a migraine before!! Also, my face is COVERED in acne and I’ve gained 5 pounds. My self-confidence has never been so low. I’m very unhappy with Apri :(”

JZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

“I have been taking Apri for about 6 months now. For about 4 of those months, I have spotted heavily the week before my period, so basically I feel like I have my period for two weeks in a row. I asked my doctor about this and she said it is normal because I started the pill recently. I feel like by 6 months this shouldn't still be happening. Does this happen to anyone else on this pill?”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

“I took Apri for 5yrs. First 2yrs were great - light periods, skin cleared up etc. However everything slowly started to change. 2018 I found myself constantly worried, feeling like walls were caving in on me. My anxiety climbed everyday. Fell into a deep depression where I contemplated suicide. Started having violent thoughts - wanting to hurt those around me. Physical changes - gained 30 pounds in 2yrs, skin started to get greasy. I would sleep 12+ hours & still not have energy. Mood swings. Crying daily - not able to control my emotions. I decided enough was enough. I stopped taking Apri immediately. It has now been 2 months since then - I no longer cry daily, mood is significantly improved, skin is less greasy. My sleep schedule is learning to regulate itself, I have more energy. Apri for the first 2yrs was great. However, somewhere along the way that changed. It's possible that in the time I was getting older, my inner body started to change and Apri just no longer worked for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 26, 2020

“if you are prone to anxiety or depression please be very careful while taking this Apri birth control pill. The first couple of months I felt very nauseous and would have the worst cramps around my period not to mention it made my flow heavier. I would get awful headaches the days leading up to my periods as well. I had anxiety before I started this pill but when I started to take it it escalated very quickly. I have been on this pill for a year now and it took until now for me to realize that it was making me lose my mind. I felt completely out of control in my thoughts and was making my anxiety spiral. I am now off of it and I feel like myself again. Be careful!!!”

anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2020

“I've been on Apri for about 4 years now. I've never had any serious reactions/symptoms. If you're seeing other people's stories about their struggle taking this pill please remember that everyone is different! Symptoms vary! It's been a long time but I believe I was slightly nauseous for a few days when I first started Apri but since then no problems at all.”

Andi · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“Took one month of Apri in preparation for IVF frozen embryo transfer and it has been horrible for my mood. Every night I took the pill at 9pm and within 1.5 to 2 hrs my mood plummeted and stayed that way throughout the following day. I haven't been sleeping well, lots of laying in bed thinking. I just took my last pill last night and today am in such a horrible mood. It has been over a week I have not wanted to do anything during the day and been in nearly nonstop bad mood. I feel depressed, also had breast tenderness the past week or two and wanting lots of junk food. Honestly the depression/mood side effects were worse on my body than any of the hormones I was on during my 3 IVF cycles. Really do not recommend this drug and disheartening to see many others talking about similar mood changes.”

MK · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2019

“I've been on Apri for a good 6 months, only bad thing about it is I get nipple and breast tenderness. I don't have any crazy side effects and fortunately have had no weight gain either.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more November 25, 2019

“I have been taking Apri since I was 18 and I never had cramps or headaches during my period. Over the last year I have noticed such a change when taking this birth control. I have nausea and terrible migraines during my period that I cannot even do anything. Also, I get crazy hot flashes as well. I’m in my late 20s so I am guessing my hormones have changed and this pill just isn’t doing it anymore. I haven’t really ever had issues with the anxiety/depression like others have(thankfully), but I do notice a huge change in my mood when I am on my period and not taking this birth control. I think the fluctuation in hormones just messes me up for a few days. I would recommend for people, but like any medication you need to just be self aware of how it is making you feel.”

Kate · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2019

“This pill makes my anxiety spin out of control. I don’t get panic attacks like I do with other pills, but I worry nonstop. I worry about everything from my dogs to getting in a car accident. I will lay awake at night worrying about one thing after another. I always feel a sense of doom. It also makes me feel very tired and almost drugged... it’s hard to get out of bed in the morning. I haven’t gained any weight, I lost a couple pounds but also changed my diet so not sure if it was the pill or not. My boobs are always extremely sore. It cleared my skin aside from the occasional zit here and there. This isn’t the worst pill I’ve ever taken but anyone with a predisposing to anxiety should watch it carefully. I get panic attacks on other pills and feel almost on the verge of that with this one.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 30, 2019

“After 10 months of debilitating night sweats and sleep disturbances my doctor finally pinpointed it to Apri. Apparently this is a very common side effect which this medication. It also gave me horrible anxiety. There are plenty of other birth controls out there. Steer clear of this one!”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

“please stay away from this brand. After ONE week of taking Apri my relatively clear skin started breaking out like crazy all over my face. It made me so so depressed and constantly hungry. I stopped taking it after two weeks thank goodness I realized what it was doing to me early on, so it didn't get worse.”

Ac October 10, 2019

“I’ve been on Apri for 4 months and I plan to get off it after this month. It’s ok. It made my periods lighter but I had some mild spotting every month around day 15 or so that would last 3 days. I have zero sex drive so it works as birth control in that way! The worst for me though has been the bloating. I’m such a slim person I don’t even recognize my own body. I’m 5 pounds heavier 4 months later. My first month on it I couldn’t even button my pants.”

V · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

“I had an abortion August 21st and have been using this birth control since then. I bled for 5 weeks straight afterward even with the pills, but it could have been due to the procedure. I skip my placebo pills and end up bleeding throughout the next pack. My first few weeks on the pills I tried to commit suicide due to my depression - that could’ve stemmed from the abortion as well but I’m not sure. No major weight gain nor acne so that’s a plus but overall I would recommend seeking another brand of birth control.”

izh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 29, 2019

“I’ve been taking Apri since November of 2018. This is my first time ever being on birth control. During the first month, I was experiencing dizziness. I’m assuming because i would take the pill in the morning without anything on my stomach. When I switched my dosage to the evening (I’ve eaten by that time) the dizziness left. It’s very effective. My only issue is my weight. I’ve never had an issue losing weight, but I could gain weight rather quickly. It’s like I’m unable to lose weight. I’ve been Vegan for almost a month now, and I haven’t she’s a pound. I believe it’s due to this birth control. Since, i do believe it’s due to that, I’m going to stop this brand and method. I truly wish I didn’t have an issue losing weight because it’s very effective.”

Apri Fan! · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2019

“I was on Apri from 2007-2019 and had no issues until 2018. My periods were about 5 days long and not super heavy, I gained no weight besides in my boobs, and everything was peachy! Starting in 2018 I started bleeding randomly throughout my active weeks and having extremely heavy periods on my placebo weeks (bleeding through a super tampon in an hour) and had a ton of clots. I'm not sure if my bodies hormones started changing with age or what, but it was a great 11 year run before I had a single issue!”

Anonymous September 23, 2019

“Let me tell you that the first couple months of Apri were BAD. I had trouble sleeping, nausea, very tender breasts among other things, but the worst part was the depression and anxiety. I would cry pretty much every day for absolutely no reason. I lost a lot of motivation to do anything. It was pretty miserable, but I decided to stick it out for a couple months hoping that these symptoms would go away, and they did. I’ve now been on this birth control for about 6 months and I am very happy with it. It regulates my period which is the main reason I went on birth control because my periods were consistently 10 days long and very irregular, sometimes I’d have a 2 week cycle, sometimes 2 months. Now I get a 5 day period, exactly every four weeks, it’s great. I do still get cramps but they are not as bad as they were before I went on apri. I would recommend this birth control if you are prepared for a rough first couple months.”

Mo September 23, 2019

“I’ve been taking this medication for nearly 2 years. For about 5 months I stopped taking it as it made my hair fall out. My hair got extremely thin and dead so I started taking the medicine again in an attempt to reverse this effect (which is did) now I’m scared to stop it again.”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

“I started on Apri a month ago. Was on Kariva for 6 months and then started bleeding during the 3rd week of pills that month so my doctor switched me to Apri as it has more estrogen to stop the breakthrough bleeding. It worked right away and I have had no problems or side effects switching to a higher dose pill. I am 42 and birth control pills have helped immensely with the pain I would have each month. My periods are lighter with no severe stomach pain so I’m praying Apri will keep working for me. It even helped with my headaches.”

V · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

“Was effective with treating acne and not allowing me to get pregnant but was not worth the insane amount of depression it induced. It got nearly unbearable. Still recovering.”

Cbk91 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 9, 2019

“I’ve been on Apri for a year and half and honestly it’s so-so. Hasn’t put weight on me (+) and hasn’t depressed me or made me incredibly lethargic (+). However it’s not perfect. I take it 3-4 months continuously- That helps some with the pain but I still have acne flare ups all the time and even ovarian cyst ruptures still (more rarely). My hair continues to fall out like crazy. I’ve reduced my Spirolactone to 100mg a day (doctor’s orders) and despite the THREE medications I still experience androgen-related symptoms like acne and thinning hair. Been thinking about changing but apparently ortho-cept has a weak/low androgenic effect so I don’t know WHY I’m having the exactly opposite side effects. I don’t want weight gain or lethargy but don’t wanna lose my hair either :(. I even take vitamins, proteins, and use special shampoo. I’m at a loss. Just tired of the acne and thinning hair ”

Sydney · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“I really wish I could rate this below 0. I haven't even finished my 3rd week of the Apri pill and I just spent 42 hours in the ER because this pill gave me a blood clot in one of my lungs. I knew something was off considering I started this medicine 3 weeks ago as soon as I started my period, and I've been on my period ever since. I felt nauseous my first week. I've had nothing but severe migraines and what I thought was heartburn but turned out to be clotting in my lungs. The chest pain was unbearable after the 3 rd day in a row of cramping every time I took a breathe. Highly recommend this if you enjoy spending time in the hospital hooked up to an IV, or if you enjoy having EJGs and CTs done!”

alcam · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“I get my birth control online through a birth control subscription and they recently changed my script when I renewed my insurance information. So I switched to Apri and since then, my life has been the worst. I feel exhausted all day, I get cramping, stabbing, awful pains that lead me to throwing up. I don’t even get periods cramps. I felt bloated, nauseous, had no appetite. This effectively made me feel like I was dying. I sat on my bathroom floor until 5 am because the pains were so bad and I was throwing up. Definitely don’t recommend.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2019

“I use birth control for period cramp relief. While on Apri my cramps are definitely not as bad as they were before, but sometimes still hurt to the point of having to take a pain reliever. Only side effect is unbearable hot flashes. I am constantly sweating and it takes a while for me to cool down. I can’t take it anymore and am in the process of switching BCs.”

julz · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

“this was an awful experience for me. I fell into deep depression, couldn't leave my bed for 14 hours at a time and had really dark thoughts. I became a ball of anxiety everywhere I went, my mood swings were INSANE. I had a headache that literally lasted for 2 weeks straight and painkillers wouldn't do much, and the nausea I felt like I was going to vomit at the most random times, and every little thing irritated me so I was being annoying to my boyfriend, my friends and my family and I truly felt like I was going crazy. I forced myself to toughen up and a tleast finish the month (there were like 4 red pills left when I realized I didn't want to do this long term). Now I've reached the placebos so I'm waiting to get my period and then never touch this medication again . I reacted very badly to plan B as well so I'm thinking birth control pills just aren't for my body at all. In conclusion, unless you're lucky enough to not experience symptoms, this can and will mess you up !!!!! :(”