User Reviews for Apri

Learn more about Apri.

Apri Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

"I switched from Lo Loestrin Fe to Apri because I was getting married and wanted to ensure I was having a monthly period (no pregnancy scares for me, thanks). I didn't experience many side effects at first, but with my first period on the new pill came painful cramping and heavy bleeding. Mind you, I hadn't had a real period in about a year thanks to Lo Lo Fe, but that sort of pain was why I started birth control in the first place. I've been on it about four months now and have seen a significant decrease in my sex drive, which, hello, sucks (newlywed, remember?). I've also seen mood swings and nausea the last couple months as my body has been adjusting, and I'm just not about that life. Switching as soon as I can."

get me off this pill already July 16, 2016

"My libido was non existent even after taking it for more than 3 months. It also made me gain 10 pounds but that wasn't a huge problem for me. The only thing that sucks about this pill is the noticeable decrease in sex drive, other than that it's fine."

sarahiiiiii July 14, 2016

"I've been on Apri for 7 months. This is my first time ever using bc, so I don't have much to compare it to, but i'm incredibly happy with it. My skin was gradually getting worse and worse with each year, and I can't tell you the last time i've had more than 1 tiny blemish at a time. My skin is amazing! My doctor did warn me about the initial side effects, and they were pretty bad honestly (highly emotional, weight gain about 10 lbs), but after I gave it 3 months something clicked and I stopped being emotional and I have lost all the weight and even a bit more. I have found that I don't have much of a sex drive at all, but it's not worth it to me to switch just for that reason. If you're willing to go through the first few months, go for it!"

wooooo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2016

"I've jumped around to many birth control pills through the years - some landed me in the hospital with severe blinding abdominal pain, some made me suicidal, and some made me nauseous. This is the first one that did not do that so I was thrilled. It also bettered my severe cystic hormonal acne to only about a blemish or two a month. However, it absolutely killed every ounce of my sex drive which used to be high and healthy. That's been very frustrating. Otherwise, okay pill."

Alexa88 May 14, 2016

"While under doctor's care from 2008 to 2009, I was prescribed Apri for pcos from the age of the age of39, to 41, I suffered an ischemic stroke, which has left me totally disabled, or with left-sided, hemi-paresis, permanently, disabled."

New Me! May 6, 2016

"I started taking apri because I was trying to do fertility treatments. The first day I took it I was fine but I felt really warm after taking it. The second day I took it I still felt warm when taking it. I went to work and was very nauseous. I ended up vomiting all day while at work. I could barely stand up my stomach hurt so bad. So I quit taking it. My stomach hurt for 3 days after that. Now i am supposed to be ovulating and have seemed to come on my period again but a lighter color than usual and much lighter. But I was just on a week ago."

Missb84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I have been on Apri for almost nine months and it works great for me. I was 135 pounds when I started taking it and I am now down to only 117 pounds. Also my period used to be heavy and I ended up getting it twice a month but once I started apri I now only have it for five days tops and it is absolutely fine. I used to break out really bad and my face would get really red but thanks to apri I only get a pimple every now and then and my face is no longer red. Apri works great for me I love it."

TLFoster May 1, 2016

"I really like this birth control. When I'm not on birth control I have extremely painful menstrual cramps, very heavy periods, and crazy hormonal acne breakouts. It took about 2 and a half months to see any improvements, but my face is almost always completely clear, I have much lighter cramps, and a much lighter flow. I did feel a little nauseous for the 1st couple days, but I had no weight gain and no other adverse health or psychological complaints. The only other complaint I could state would be that within a week of taking the pill, my sex drive was almost completely gone. The main reason I am staying on the birth control is for the acne treatment! It is something I have been struggling with for years and I am so happy with the results"

hkarlsson April 26, 2016

"This birth control made me miserable. I could not even take it for one whole week. Immediately after taking it I started to feel sick. I had a headache every day after starting to take this pill. It made me feel tired, lazy, depressed. It seriously made me feel like I was pregnant all over again!!! I also felt really bloated right after taking it. My pharmacist recommended it because my new insurance wouldn't cover my old bc Pimtrea. They said it would be basically the same and it definitely was not. I know everyones body responds differently but this one has been the worst for me. I have been taking birth control for 15 years and this is the only one that has ever made me feel sick."

harlowmae April 4, 2016

"I've been on this medication for seven months. Before this I was on YAZ for five years (with no issues) but after constant recommendations to switch birth control brands from my doctor I made the change. I find this pill makes me extremely nauseated with terrible head aches the first week of the pills. I want to try a new one but don't know which on to try."

KLKL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

"I expressed extreme hair loss. This med causes two patches of hair to be missing. I will never take this med again. Do not recommend."

No not use Apri March 21, 2016

"I had previously been on Microgestin which didn't work well for me. I was cranky, tired, moody, and found myself having bleeding between periods. My doctor put me on Apri and it doesn't affect my mood whatsoever. I feel fine, my periods are light and (bonus!) only last 2-3 days. Also, I'm not pregnant, so it definitely works."

Hamiltonia (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2016

"After 5 years of not being on birth control I was prescribed Apri (.15mg/0.03mg). I was on it for a month and just felt very angry all the time. I constantly lashed out at my loved ones. The week before I was on the non active pill (white ones) i had cramps 5 days straight , when originally when I was off birth control I hardly had cramps. I saw no difference in my acne. But I just couldn't handle being so angry and snapping at everyone around me. I switched to Tri Sprintec and have been on that for a month and I am back to my usual self (hope this works instead). So if you experience bad side effects or just aren't yourself , switch to something else."

soff (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2016

"I started this BCP because every month I grew cyst on my ovaries during ovulation which landed me in and out the hospital, I also suffered from moderate to severe acne, this birth control has regulated my periods, prevented the formation of cyst on my ovaries and I haven't had a breakout In weeks..the only down fall about this BCP is my increased appetite, but that's nothing that can't be controlled. My advice for those who seem to eat more while taking ANYYY birth control is to eat cleaner & healthier so your not gaining weight. Simple as that. Also excercise to prevent and blood clots, and keep blood flowing. That is all good luck !"

Xsherece February 19, 2016

"Was switched to this from reclipsen-works great for me. I think a lot of the reviews are from people who don't do well on a lower estrogen/higher progesterone pill. Ortho did to me what all the negative reviews on Apri said it did for them. You have to find what works for YOUR body. Don't get scared off by other peoples' experiences-everyone is different. This works well for my body, and is affordable."

KristiK27 February 5, 2016

"I love this pill I've been using if for over 4 years now. I had some pretty bad acne and my periods were heavy and long now my face is pretty clear and my period is still a little heavy but it's super short now (4 days tops) I haven't put on any weight since I started taking the pill my significant other and I haven't use a condom in over 4 years and I haven't gotten pregnant so it works!"

Rhill5 January 29, 2016

"Although this is the first brand I've tried, it's horrible. I take birth control because I'm lacking iron and my period has become irregular (comes, gone for a week and is back). It's my second month on it and so far, I hate it. This past month, I've gained around 10 pounds, reaching the 120s. I've never even reached 115 in the past, and it makes me self-conscious. On top of that, I've been extremely emotional recently. I cry over small things and sometimes I start crying all by myself for no reason. My stomach also hurts A LOT a week before my period starts and when I'm on it. I have more complaints but those were the major ones. I'm supposed to take it for 6 months or more but I can't handle it and I need to get another asap."

Kidrauhl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2016

"I love apri!:I lost 5 pounds and my skin is clearer than ever and I am NOT pregnant and my libido is still intact way better than ortho tri cyclen"

mrs.ehub (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

"I have been on birth control for 5 years now. I switched to Apri about a year ago and didn't think anything of it. I also suffer from Bipolar disorder and not long after that I had a lot of issues with that and ended up being hospitalized and having my meds re-evaluated. On top of that, I gained about 40 pounds. Because I had issues previously I never attributed them to Apri. I had been on birth control for so long, I just assumed they were all the same. 2 weeks ago I switched to an IUD and I've already lost 5 pounds out of no where despite having worked my butt off for months trying to loose weight with hardly any success. While Apri may not have been the direct cause of my 'episode', I definitely attribute it to my weight gain."

Mellllll (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

"I gave it a rating of 5 for its effectiveness in preventing pregnancy. I only do withdrawal method with this. But the side effects are so awful. Possibly the worst I've had with any brand. It is quite potent I'd tell you that. I get a lot of headaches, nausea and stomach discomforts for a week into starting a new pack, decreased libido, and in the beginning I'm quite dry which is uhm, have never been an issue for me, I get so moody, stress is harder to deal with, I get anxiety attacks, I get so easily fatigued, and the combination of these 2 I just get so unmotivated into doing daily activities. It's pretty bad. I'm changing brands on my next cycle. Maybe a milder combination OCP."

E8 January 13, 2016

"My main reason for using this type of birth control was solely for pregnancy prevention. I've never had any problems with my periods or acne. I've experienced the worst of side effects possible. I'm constantly moody and sad, I have heavy long-term periods, face covered in acne, low sex drive, hair loss, spots on my skin, sensitivity to most soaps and lotions. I'm overall dissapointed with this pill and can't wait to start a new type of contraceptive. Granted I haven't gotten pregnant, but we use condoms so it's hard to judge anyways."

Isu (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

"Pretty sure this is causing me to be a emotional wreck. I've never in my life experienced depression or emotions like this."

Mrs.emotional January 10, 2016

"While this pill did fix my cramps it did Also give me a blood clot after 3 Months of taking it that lodged in my ankle and then I ended up in the emergency room thinking I had compartment syndrome. Stay away. My family has no clotting risk history."

Scb90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

"This has been a terrible experience for me. I've been on Apri for about a year and at first had no major complaints. My periods were still 2 weeks long but they had always been. Over the past 6 months my periods have been miserable. Emotionally I'm a wreck, I cry all the time about everything. I feel like a crazy person but at the same time have no control over the crying. I'm constantly moody and irritable. I sweat like crazy when I have my period and often feel like I'm going to pass out. My periods still last 2 weeks one light week followed by a heavy week. I never had clear skin but this pill has only made it worse. I would not recommend and will be changing within the week so I do not have to experience another month like this."

K807 December 23, 2015

"I was placed on this bcp prior to having IVF, this have been the worse 2 weeks ever. I feel so bad for my husband. I have have been moody, crying spells, decreased sex drive, and constant spotting. I cannot wait to stop taking this pill."

Too young for this! December 22, 2015