User Reviews for Apri (Page 2)

Learn more about Apri.

Apri Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

"While this pill did fix my cramps it did Also give me a blood clot after 3 Months of taking it that lodged in my ankle and then I ended up in the emergency room thinking I had compartment syndrome. Stay away. My family has no clotting risk history."

Scb90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

"This has been a terrible experience for me. I've been on Apri for about a year and at first had no major complaints. My periods were still 2 weeks long but they had always been. Over the past 6 months my periods have been miserable. Emotionally I'm a wreck, I cry all the time about everything. I feel like a crazy person but at the same time have no control over the crying. I'm constantly moody and irritable. I sweat like crazy when I have my period and often feel like I'm going to pass out. My periods still last 2 weeks one light week followed by a heavy week. I never had clear skin but this pill has only made it worse. I would not recommend and will be changing within the week so I do not have to experience another month like this."

K807 December 23, 2015

"I was placed on this bcp prior to having IVF, this have been the worse 2 weeks ever. I feel so bad for my husband. I have have been moody, crying spells, decreased sex drive, and constant spotting. I cannot wait to stop taking this pill."

Too young for this! December 22, 2015

"I got off of this birth control this month because I have gained almost 30lbs since I started it in May and it is now December and I'm gigantic. I got an IUD today and I'm hoping my weight will get under control now."

Amr0514 December 19, 2015

"Reading these reviews is so disheartening. I've been taking apri for over 5 years now. Suddenly over the past 6 months my acne is terrible and I get menstrual migraines. Clearly I haven't done my research. I am stopping tomorrow. Do not take this pill."

Sierramist2485 December 12, 2015

"I have been taking this birth control for 6 months now and as far as I'm concerned, it works well. I haven't gotten pregnant and I don't use condoms with my significant other. The first few months I may have had a little bit of nausea and bloating, but that's all gone now. My acne has pretty much stayed the same, but my periods are lighter and shorter. They are also very regular. As for changing my weight, I believe Apri has actually helped regulate my weight, so I haven't gained any pounds nor lost any while maintaining the same diet. Mood swings could probably be better, but that comes with all young female adults under stress anyway."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2015

"Was on Apri for 9 months. No major issues while taking it until 3 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with a massive pulmonary embolism. Testing was performed and the root cause pointed towards Apri. Many articles online linking Apri (3rd generation) to PE's. Do your research before taking this pill, wish I did!"

Lola25 November 29, 2015

"I had stopped taking birth control all together for about a month and lost a ton of weight and my breasts got smaller and then my doctor put me on Apri. Easily one of the worst things to happen to me. I've never had such bad acne in my life and it seems like it never stops. I've also gained at least 10 pounds in addition to my normal weight and that's being modest. I feel bloated ALL THE TIME and I can't tell if I look fat because I'm bloated or because it's the weight being distributed right into my stomach. I'm switching back to my old birth control. Apri sucks."

Amanda6388 November 29, 2015

"I was on Alesse birth control, which is a mini pill that contains progestin, for about a year now with no problems at all. Recently, I switched doctors and she had to write me a new prescription for my pill. I told her what I was already on and she sent in the rx to my pharmacy. When I went to pick it up, the pack was a purple one called Apri. I asked the pharmacist why it changed and they had no idea. I chalked it up to insurance or a miscommunication. I have been using Apri now for 3 days (today being the 3rd night). First night was fine. Second night had some mild numbness in my throat that I hadn't associated with the pill at all because the the first day had went well. Tonight, minutes after taking my pill, my lips feel very numb. No blue discoloration, trouble breathing, or heart palpitations. However, I do have some slight blurred vision, a stuffy chest feeling, and a bit of nausea. After some reading, I found that my last pill and this new one are two different variations of the pill. This new pill, Apri, is a combination pill that contains both estrogen and progestin. I may have had a drug allergy to the estrogen (I read this can happen) or an allergy to a dye in the pill. All I have on hand is some Allergra allergy pills so I took one of those about 30 minutes ago and, although I still feel a little weird, my lips are not as numb. Hopefully the symptoms disappear soon. I will definitely not be taking Apri again or any other combination pill. I am going to schedule an appointment with my doctor first thing in the morning and get an rx for the mini pill again. Just thought I would share my reaction story in case anyone experiences the same complications whereas I wasn't lucky enough to find someone who shared their story."

Living and Loving (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2015

"Apri works and it doesn't have a lot of terrible side effects. Within the first month I experienced some mood swings and I would get emotional. It cleared my skin and gave me a lighter period however I noticed I would sweat out of nowhere even in air conditioning. Also after 4 months on apri I gained about 9lbs while doing cardio and eating a healthy diet. And month 4 I noticed an overall fatigued feeling 24/7. I'll have no energy and I'll wake up tired. Overall I liked apri but I'm switching because of the weight and the lack of energy/fatigue."

Luscia November 12, 2015

"I just finished my third pack of the pills and overall, I have gained weight, my acne got worse, but in all honesty, I have been eating pure sh*t while on the pill and even before so I can't really say if the acne and weight gain came from taking the pill. I also got migraines and felt nauseous sometimes. I did not get the pill to prevent pregnancy because I'm not having sex at all lol I just got on the pill to regulate my period and so far, it is doing that."

Nat V (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

"I have been on Apri for a month now, and I can NOT wait until Sunday to switch back to my brand name birthcontrol. This month has been a nightmare for my body. Yes, I know, usually if you switch birthcontrol things may change for your body but I was told that this was the EXACT same thing as my other brand name birthcontrol and that the only difference is that I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket. Which is weird because I didn't pay out of pocket for my brand name birth control.. Anyways, within the first week I had acne all over my face. and right now. I have hundreds of little red bumps on my forehead. I honestly have not broken out this bad since freshman year of highschool...I'm 22 now. Each to their own but for me, Apri is a no no."

Annonymous123459392 November 5, 2015

"Horrible experience! Has never had trouble sleeping before starting taking this birth control , really moody and abdominal pain"

Mandy12/: October 26, 2015

"I just got back on April and it's day four and I have already gained about 5 lbs. My acne is about three times worse then normal - granted I don't have perfect skin, but it's really bad at this point. I have kept the same routine as in the past same diet and exercise. I don't recommend Apri to anyone that has ance."

Farjulia October 25, 2015

"I was on Marvelon for 10 years until my benefits plan changed and it only covered generic brands of the birth control pill. When my pharmacist informed me I questioned him profusely asking if it was the same Marvelon. While I was on Marvelon for 10 Years I had no side effects/felt great on it. As soon as I started taking apris I became moody, irritable and very very gassy. It almost felt like I was pregnant. As soon as I started researching apris vs Marvelon I discovered all the poor reviews. I then decided to pay out of pocket to go back on Marvelon the next month because I hated feeling horrible. I went back on Marvelon but what happened next was a blessing in disguise. I became pregnant with my 2nd. Apris messed up my system."

Anonymous October 19, 2015

"I'm a regular user of my old birth control for 5 years but went to a new doctor for my annual exam and she had me take this. HORRIBLE. First week on this stuff and my face is just COVERED with pimples, my face is itchy/irritated, and I feel awful. Never experienced this with my old birth control. I know it's only been a week and give it time and whatever. Yeah, no way. I'm just going to finish this month and go back to what worked. I'm writing this review to confirm that I experienced acne as a side effect of this pill."

Annonymous 3762626 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015

"Absolute worst birth control I've ever been on. Made me moody and have random crying spells, and made me breakout SO bad. I've never had a problem with acne but as soon as I was put on this, it was just pimple after pimple after pimple. I changed it as soon as I could. I would NOT recommend."

Ses1997 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2015

"Had not taken birth control for about 2 years and decided to get back on it. Started out with apri and I would not recommend to my worst enemy. I normally have very clear skin but it made my face break out like a crazy and made me gain 10+ lbs. I am very athletic and eat healthy so I don't believe it could be contributed to my diet. The weight is also seeming impossible to get off when still on the birth control. It also made my breasts constantly tender. I do not recommend this."

Rachel Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

"I took this birth control for a little over a year. At first, I experienced every listed side effect but after about 2 weeks or so, everything went back to normal. I had never had regular periods until apri but the entire time I took them i was regular with no complications or increased pain. I gained at least 8 lbs and my acne increased a bit. At the end of a year I started getting really weird back and side pains for about 3 weeks. I complained but didn't know what to do. Soon the pain became worse and it was painful to walk. I went to the er once but was sent home. Within a day, my left leg started to swell and the day after that I couldn't stand straight much less walk so I went to the er. Turns out, I had a DVT in my left leg and PE's"

Mandy989898 October 6, 2015

"I have been using Apri for 3 months and I have gained 10 pounds. I am Vegan and eat very healthy so it cannot be due to my alimentation. Also I have been extremely moody. I am switching back to my old birth control, I do not recommend using it unless you don't mind being fat. Ugh."

Sam3809 September 24, 2015

"I've been on it for 4 months now and it does its job I just get headaches almost everyday. I haven't really noticed any mood changes but I've been taking B6 pills everyday with it since that's what I had to do while on my last BC and I def haven't gained any weight."

AliyahBC (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

"I have taken this for 3 months now and my period has been regular but I extreme mood swings. I had no idea until family told me. I would not recommend!"

Chey1232 September 19, 2015

"During the first month I experienced extreme nausea and gained 5lbs quickly! I was always hungry. The moodiness came during the 3rd pack. On my fourth pack and the new side effect i have is yeast infections! Last month the day after my cycle, my first yeast infection. It is interfering with my sex life w/ my husband. Seeing that this is becoming a regular inconvenience i will be changing my birth control indefinitely."

Anonymous3462489 September 14, 2015

"All I have to say is UGH. I haven't taken birth control in about 4 years and I decided it was smart for me to go back on it. I've been on Apri for about 2 weeks now and I am totally not myself. I feel so sad and depressed. I have also had random crying spells. Appetite hasn't increased at all but my skin has broken out. My skin has been super itchy all over since I've been on it and I've been getting stomach pains and headaches. Birth control does work different for everyone but I definitely plan on switching to a new birth control when this pack finished."

Jillian1987 September 1, 2015

"Apri made me sick to my stomach everyday and I had to quit taking it because I kept getting nauseous and wanted to get sick! Have to call the doctor to try and get a new kind!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015