User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis 3 reviews 167 medications

Birth Control 624 reviews 305 medications

5.8
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 646 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "First month was absolutely horrible. This is my first birth control pill. The nausea seemed to occur 2 hrs after taking the pill (I take it at 3pm everyday). I was also unmotivated and felt like my back ached all the time. Then it got better. I don't get headaches anymore. But looking back, I definitely gained weight, like A LOT. I didn't lose my sex drive. Anyway, I'm okay now."

Ica H June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Apri for 4 months, I'm 20 years old. This is my 5th overall birth control but the best yet. I have had some over emotional moments or as I call them "birth control" cries but nothing terrible. My appetite isn't out of control, on my period though is another story. On this particular pill my period in much longer, around 8-10 days. Sex drive is pretty normal, and weight gain has not been out of control, as long as I watch my diet and get my steps in every day I stay in the 120-130 range."

lydiaME234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been taking Velivet for about a year now because I started to have periods that lasted all month which resulted in anemia. My only complaint is that the cramps are quite bad, but it's done its job for me, so I can't complain!"

Ani4343435343 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Gives me heartburn and indigestion. Also makes me nauseous. Prefer the depo shot, wish it was for more long term."

Kt639696 June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "After 3 days of starting this new birth control, I was feeling nauseous. This lasted for a few days. Also, I've been bleeding for almost 3 weeks now. It's not heavy, but its tiresome and getting costly to keep buying panty liners all the time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm half way through my third pack and my face has been continuously breaking out so bad since I started taking Apri. My complexion is literally better off it, rather than on it. However, it has helped my periods but if my skin is still bad after I finish this pack, I'm switching to a different pill."

jessicalsullivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is more of an update. Been on this for a full 3 months now, about to go on my 4th. I've always had terrible periods (cramps, heaviness, fatigue, moodiness) so I was hoping the pill could relieve some of those symptoms. So far, I've found all of the pills I've tried so far (loestrin fe, junel, yasmin) haven't done a whole lot to rid of these symptoms. Apri is the same. Although my period is more predictable and more manageable in terms of pain, my 2nd and 3rd day of period is still very heavy and I still cramp a whole lot on the 2nd day. Made my skin clearer, and no problems of weight gain either. I also am not as moody as I was on yasmin. And no pregnancies yet, although a couple of scares since this pill can mimic pregnancy symptoms."

Lolitaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Love it! Been continuously dosing without breaking for menstruation for almost two years due to extremely difficult/painful menstrual cycles, emotional trouble, etc. This pill smoothed all of that out! Spotting for a few months once going on, but rarely have issues now. Cleared up my skin perfectly. Two down sides: total libido killer (I feel like a robot sometimes), and a bit of weight gain. The weight gain actually didn't happen for the first year, so I'm not totally certain that the pill was the cause. Maybe it was the pill mixed with extremely stressful past 6+ months and overeating from stress. I'll gladly take emotional normalcy and no dependence on painkillers in exchange for the downsides!"

SammieB May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Taking this to move my cycle over. My periods are typically 4 supersoaker days with some cramping -2 days. My first month on this hellbent pill was constant cramping+nausea, 25 days of bleeding, and horrid mood swings, dark thoughts, deja vu and dizzy spells. Doc had me double up for the rest of this packet, now the bleeding is just sparse spots. BF is relieved to finally have sex, though it's painful because now I have low estrogen. Begged the doc to switch me to a different pill brand."

30F (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for 4 years. I switched to this one because my previous ones caused me to gain weight. These pills do not cause me to gain weight and keep my skin flawless. However, I think they recently made a more generic version of the pills and switched packaging and everything and for these last three months I've been loosing my temper and really emotional. I have no sex drive also. I am going to have to switch pills. But for the first few years of my life, they've been good"

Anonymous May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on this prescription for 5+ years. I have never had any issues. My pharmacy tried to change to Mylan - Ethinyl Estradiol which made me very moody and anxious. I tried Teva - Kariva and couldn't sleep. I really like Azurette but hear its being discontinued."

malamutemom (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So I've been on this birth control a little over a month, and now that I read some of the reviews I know I'm not crazy. This pill makes you feel depressed. I'm on the second pack and skipped the sugar pill because I did that with the first birth control I was on and my periods went away. Now I haven't got an actual period but I've been spotting for about 5 days now. Two of days I noticed more blood but still not a lot my regular periods are usually 5 days long so hopefully this is the last day of this weird bleeding. Also the blood looks different first it was very light like a pinkest color, than brown, the back to that light pink color then dark red and looks watery."

Audrid1234 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So far it's been my first week taking it and I am not impressed. I've been nauseous everyday this week, gotten severe headaches, and now I am worried that my relationship is gonna be ruined because of the side effects this pill has on me. It's making me look and act like a total cow. which I'm usually not. I'm also very annoyed that my doctor switched me to this without warning. Jublier is a better brand."

Mothma May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Been taking apri for 3 months; First 2 periods were fine no cramps, pretty normal. My last period I had was the worst period I ever had. Was extremely heavy, no cramps but the heaviest period I've ever had. My boyfriend says he's noticed changes in my mood, I'm very irritable and sad all the time. I feel bloated all the time, I've gained weight in my face and stomach. My acne seems to be the same few break outs here and there. Some days I have a very low sex drive, some days very high. Overall it works, just makes you feel super insecure. Was doing fine for years without birth control I think I'll be fine for another few years without it."

..... (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Reclipsen for a month. I started it to see if it would decrease my flow and cramps. My mood dropped drastically when I first started. Depression usually last for a period time, so I wasn't depressed. However, my mood was very low to the point that it was scary. When my period came it felt like the worst ever. My flow and cramps were bad. I have other side effects as well, such as nausea and headaches. I'm going to see if my body adjust to it for two more months only because I need a solution for my periods. I've been on birth control in the past and I've never had these side effects."

Ferie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "For the 3 years I was on it I had ravenous hunger, low blood sugar crashes, low libido, stress, and anxiety. I had just quit smoking and wasn't used to eating instead of having a cigarette. I started on Ortho Lo. I thought I was just stressed with finishing school but the moodiness didn't stop so after a few months they put me on Reclipsen. The nurse told me it was her favorite one and I wouldn't feel a thing bc it was a monophase and wouldn't make my hormones jump around ...like they are Supposed to naturally a few times per month. Looking back I just wish I had realized it wasn't "Me handling life so weak and vulnerable." It was the pill. Hormones cause feelings. BC pills have FAKE hormones!"

MistyT May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am taking the second cycle now. In general, I'm happy with my experience so far and I'll keep taking it. Negative sides. During the first week, I felt sick to my stomach all the time and I was supertired, but it went away. During the third week, I had mood swings and felt depressed, but I always feel this way a week before my period, so it was normal to me. Also my boobs became larger and it's a little painful to touch them, but that's okay. Positive sides. It feels really good not to worry about becoming pregnant. My sex drive is the same or even increased, weight is the same, appetite doesn't seem to increase. Period is less heavy, skin is better, acne is disappearing."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control was horrible. I gained 20 pounds in the first 2 months and could not lose it. I told my OB several times it was due to the birth control and she told me birth control cannot make me gain weight. (LIES). 6 months in I started to suffer from anxiety and depression. Another 6 months later I started bleeding through super tampons in less than an hour and had cramping so bad I could not even move. It felt like back labor every time I had my period. I told my doctor and they told me it could not be the birth control, it must be endometriosis and wanted to treat me with some shot and open me up to look. I said enough and switched BCs. Lost 10 lbs in 6 days, depression was gone, and no more heavy cramping and bleeding. never again."

BeautifulPhoenix (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I take the pill at the same time every day and it has been effective in preventing pregnancies, however my sex drive is now non-existent whereas before I had an extremely high sex drive. I also have vaginal dryness now which is very annoying. Haven't had any other issues besides that but it is frustrating to deal with at times."

LK21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "Within a week of taking this I've been puking, had no appetite, and had insomnia. It's going in the trash, I'd rather get pregnant than deal with this. I've also had SEVERE mood swings, and a fever on and off. Not sure how this stuff is even legal."

wouldrathergetpregnant (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Apri for about a year. The first few months I would randomly get hot and feel like I was going to vomit. That went away after a few months. I never got pregnant but also used the pull out method. I was just hospitalized for two blood clots in my right arm and pulmonary embolisms. My doctor thinks the birth control is what has done this. I don't think I will ever take birth control again, not sure what to do now because I don't want children right now. I am a healthy 25 year old woman who should not have blood clots and so far they have found no other reason why I would have blood clots. Birth control is dangerous!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This was my first birth control brand so I don't have experience with other brands to compare it to, but I had some issues. I had heavy, two week long periods on this pill, sometimes even longer. Thinking this would eventually level off I stayed on it for a year but it never did. Needless to say, I've had more than enough of that! Also, on this pill I felt paranoid about things that I never worried about before, I kept thinking something awful would happen whenever I left the house. I just switched bands so I'm hoping these symptoms stop, especially the paranoia and anxiety. On the plus, my skin never looked better and while the periods were long, I had minimal cramping."

Ziggyoo1 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I have taken this less then a month and it's affected me majorly I have migraines constantly, my breast are super sensitive and my boyfriend has probably almost broken up with me 3 times now due to massive mood swings. I suicidal thoughts and my nightmares have gotten way out of hand I had night mares a lot before but now it's every night I even wake up sobbing some times do not recommend this what so ever"

Shelbylauren April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on reclipsen for years now. It's been horrible, but I've felt trapped to stay on it. I do not believe in IUDs & many other forms of birth control so my primary care doctor felt this low dose would be best. We've never had any unwanted pregnancy, so it's effective in that manner. But here are all the issues I've had with it: mood swings, depression, anxiety, emotional instability overall, low sex drive, vaginal dryness & migraines. I'll be getting off of it soon with the guidance of a new obgyn."

Gmcc223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So I started taking Reclipsen about four months ago. At first, everything was fine. My periods became regular and tolerable and the oiliness of my skin went down. However, about a month ago, I started experiencing horrible mood swings. I already had depression and anxiety but this greatly exacerbated the issue. I started snapping at people, crying, and having suicidal thoughts. I went to a doctor for mood stabilizers and it was almost impossible to find one that didn't react with the Reclipsen. I ruined numerous relationships during that time. I stopped taking it and within one day I felt calmer. I'm definitely not taking it again and will be looking at an IUD."

saradee93 April 19, 2017