User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis 3 reviews 106 medications

Birth Control 645 reviews 299 medications

5.8
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 668 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Cramps & fatigue were my major issues with this pill. I switched from Orsythia to this after having some breakthrough bleeding on the other pill. I've been taking it for a year and have decided to switch to something else because of the cramping I got even when not on my period. I always felt like I had my period. Had several yeast infections and always felt kind of itchy. It did do a good job of stopping my period because I would take it for 3 months straight with no breakthrough bleeding then have a break. But I'd rather get my period every month than cramp all the time.. my skin did look amazing on this and no weight gain either. Also prevented pregnancy."

katchee August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on this pill for about 9 months now. I have combination skin and I am prone to acne. I had cleared up and then broke out very badly within the first 3 months until my body got used to it. I now only get a few breakouts a week or so before my period, but they are all cystic acne along my jaw line. I have absolutely no sex drive on this medication, I am constantly always dry now, and my emotions are out of control. I never understood girls when they said they got emotional on their periods, except when I was on this birth control pills. It was bad, like very bad. Like severe fighting with my boyfriend because I would get so heavily emotional and explode. I will be switching birth controls yet again very soon"

Ktslr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took Viorele for a single month. I have experienced the worst acne I've had in YEARS, my depression has gotten significantly worse, my blood pressure (which is usually spot on perfect) is frequently high, and my mood swings are horrible."

HeatherP19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "When I first switched my birth control from the generic version of Ortho tri-cyclen lo to Kariva, it was an attempt to regulate my ph balance. Although the switch made no difference in that area, I noticed a significant change in my mood. In a GOOD way! I had been taking the other birth control for so long, I thought it was just me that had crazy mood swings every month. Once I switched, the moods were gone. My mind was blown. I have also noticed a decrease in acne which is always a plus. They've also just changed the bubble pack to release the pills more easily. I recommend."

Misskd88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am a 42 yr old woman. I had my tubes tied at the age of 30 after having my 3rd and last child. Around the age of 36, my periods became irregular. I was having periods sometimes only 12 days apart. Not spotting, full periods. I have been anemic my whole life so that didn't help. I had my hormones checked and was given an ultrasound to see if I had fibroids. Nope! Hormone levels normal as well. My obgyn pushed for me to get the IUD. I got it June 2. Had to have it removed Aug 6!!! Worst decision, besides my ex-husband, that I've ever made! I had bad migraines, bleeding for 2 weeks at a time. I went to my new pcp, I was prescribed cyred bc pills and told to take an 800mg ibuprofen. I feel soooo much better, just in a week!"

Anonymous August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have taken Kariva for about 6 months and my boobs have gone from an A cup to a D cup, which is alarming. I have pregnancy like symptoms very often, but I'm not pregnant. Overall this birth control made me extremely moody and gain crazy weight."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Apri was awful. My periods before I started taking the pill were 4/5 days then when I started, my periods became 16 days long. I was depressed. I gained a lot of acne when previously my skin was clear. I was on it for 5 months but the negative side effects were so clear. It absolutely wasn't worth it. With that said, it is an effective birth control option, just not for me"

Mags'123441 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started this in April 2017 and I had a little place that looked like a tiny spider bite (nothing real serious) then it began to look like a ringworm well by the time I planned a dr appointment like a week later because I was at the beach I had red spots all over my arms so I went to the dermatologist and had THREE biopsys done, and blood work to find out I had Lupus. My OB said that we would switch and that it was this birth control that caused it. I DO NOT recommend."

Lauren weaver August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I was on this pill was to relive my heavy periods not for contraception. Just to give a quick medical background I'm 26 and have always suffered with long and heavy periods lasting between 10-12days. It got to the point where it started causing me medical issues such as low white blood cells, severe tiredness as well as deficiencies, anaemia and constant bugs. I was referred to a haematologist (blood doctor) who prescribed desogestrel to stop my periods which I took for a total of 3months. Since day one of starting this medication I have bled continuously, the first month was only light spotting and only required a thin liner. At this point I wasn't experiencing any other side effects so I persevered as I was told it could take 3months for my body to adjust. However, into the 2nd month the bleeding got heavier and by the 3rd month it was awful and things were spiralling downhill daily! This pill was having the opposite effect of what It was suppose to do and the constant bleeding made my existing problems 10x worse and on top of everything I got cystitis just before my holiday which meant I couldn't swim, drink etc and felt dreadful. My mood and personality changed and TBH I was a hormonal mess! I felt uptight, anxious and paranoid all the time and kept snapping at my husband over petty things. I wasn't sleeping properly and was getting terrible palpitations and nausea which seemed to be worse at night keeping me awake. My tummy was very sore and bloated. I also put on weight mainly on my thighs and breasts, I went from a B cup to a DD!!! My friends all thought I had secretly had boob job haha! Most girls would be happy about this but I'm very petite so the smallest amount of weight makes me feel disgusting and is quite noticeable. I decided to stop taking desogestrel whilst on holiday as I couldn't bare it anymore and it was ruining my holiday. Luckily within a couple of days of stopping I felt like my old self again but I continued to bleed which I'm hoping is just a post pill period. I can't wait for my body to be back to normal, It's amazing how a tiny pill can cause so much damage! I suppose the only positive is that you definitely won't get pregnant on this pill as the bleeding means no sex whatsoever. This pill has honestly put me off trying any sort of contraception again. I'll happily take my existing problems over the side effects from this pill any day!"

Ltay90 August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Kariva and Viorele are LITERALLY the same thing people."

duhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm going into my fourth month taking Viorele, and I'm surprised at how well my body has reacted to this BC. I was on Lo Loestrin Fe (for about 6 Mo.) & Gildess Fe (about two years) prior to switching to Viorele. I haven't had any migraines, mood swings, or breakouts since starting the pill. I usually have all those symptoms when starting something new. Also, my period cramping, bloating, and pain has significantly decreased with the help of this pill. It also helped clear up my cystic acne, and my weight has remained stable. The only negative about Viorele for me was the extreme tenderness and soreness in my breasts. My breasts are the most painful upon waking up in the morning, but then the feeling somewhat subsides. I'm pretty happy."

Mónica Z. July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So far, I haven't had any problems with Apri. At first my feet swelled a little bit, and I was kind of bloated but that all went sway after the first pack. I've had Nexplanon which was the WORST birth control I could've ever got. It cause SO many health problems for me, mostly stomach problems. It made me lose a ton of weight, which wasn't very healthy for a 15 year old. I was on the Depo shot, and that made my moods CRAZY. I have pretty bad anxiety already, and the shot pretty much made it worse. I don't take any medications for my anxiety, because I don't believe I need to but I had to with the depo shot. It made me gain about 15 pounds, so I'm basically back to where I was 3 years ago before Nexplanon. Apri has been the best for me yet."

Anonymous 3 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control was so bad that I had to stop after three months. I had a lot of side effects within the past three months, such as terrible acid reflex, nausea, heavy bleeding, migraines, and my face broke out terribly. This was definitely not the birth control for me."

Kaykayla (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Was put on this because of PCOS, did exactly what it was supposed to do. Got my period exactly every 28 days, no major side effects except for weight gain (part of which I blame for starting college at the same time). Didn't gain weight at first, then I gained 10-15lbs, and overall I gained 35-40lbs. It wasn't easy to lose the weight on this either, even with diet and regular exercise."

rafb (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking this birth control for four months now. The first was the worst, I was irritable, frequently sad, lethargic and just overall moody. It cleared up my face and didn't change much in the way of flow on my period but, did make them shorter. My sex drive has also decreased as well as my eating habits. I find myself less hungry but, my breasts have grown in size. Now four months later I've been spotting non-stop for the past two weeks and my face is breaking out in acne that rests under the skin. Going to change my prescription soon but, for awhile it was definitely tolerable."

fayzed (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was only on the pack for one month and had to stop as soon as I started the second one. During the sugar pill week, I had severe migraines which is something I never get. Those continued and then nausea was added to it. I threw up the other day and it looked as if I didn't digest any of my food from that day. This is definitely just a personal experience, but I am also definitely going off this pill asap. I got my period for 6 days so I'm definitely not pregnant. (Also took two pregnancy tests as an extra test) If you're looking for a pill, I would try a different brand."

user28474839394 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Azurette for 3 years now and I couldn't of found a better birth control option. It took me maybe a month to get use to but since then I don't ever have any adverse/side effects. The only downside to the pill is on the sugar pill week I tend to be more moody and irritable than normal. However, it has been super effective in preventing pregnant and regulating my normally horrendous periods that I use to have. My periods are much lighter and bearable. I would definitely recommend azurette to someone else."

Cass01111 July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on this birth control for one year exactly and I mainly went on this for my skin but I didn't notice anything different with my acne when I was on it compared to when I didn't take birth control. The only thing I can say was that around the time I got my period, my face was the clearest it ever was and then as soon as my period stopped, I began to breakout again. I think with this birth control I did gain weight, probably around 15-20 pounds. It also made me very moody. I never got so upset/mad as easily as I did when I was on this. I felt like an emotional wreck at times because I would get mad so easily and I hated it. I decided that this birth control, while effective for preventing pregnancies, was not for me."

wtak (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've posted here a few month ago and it's an update. I'm starting the 4th pack now, and almost everything I was complaining about went away! During the first few months I've gained around 10 lbs, my boobs became much larger (that was super uncomfortable, bc they're large anyways), I felt a little depressed and tired (nothing I couldn't handle though, I've been living my normal life). I couldn't work as hard as I wanted. Now I've lost all the weight I've gained and me is me again. Feels like magic. Also my tastes for food changed a bit. Something I loved does not taste good for me anymore, it's strange, but fun to experience."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "At the beginning, Kariva seemed to be working well, my skin started to clear up, lighter periods, and emotional stabilization. However, once I started my second pack, my emotional state felt off. I didn't realize that it could be the pill I was taking, so I continued to use it. I felt very depressed, and sad, and on the verge of crying most times. Once I told my doctor, I changed to Blisovi 24 Fe and my emotional state began to change in a positive way!"

HanaBanana June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is yet another update. Just finished my 4th pack. Worst experience ever in all of the birth controls I've tried combined. Like I said in my previous review, I was on loestrin fe, junel, and yasmin. This last pack made me start bleeding during the 3rd active pill week. Progressed into probably the heaviest period I've ever had. Made me nauseous and weak from the excessive blood loss. And made me so gassy to the point I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'm still on my period now, and it's been 2 weeks of non stop bleeding. I constantly feel like passing out. Asking my doc to switch to something else."

Lolitaagain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on reclipsen for less than 2 weeks and it caused blood clots. I had DVT and Pulmonary Embolisms. I'm one of the lucky ones that lived through those diagnoses. I had taken other BC on the past and always had terrible side effects but never had an issue with clots. I also have no other contributing factors besides being overweight. I was 26 and never smoked in my life. No genetic issues either. I advise everyone to be careful when considering any birth control option. Know the signs of blood clots. It could save your life. "

ABaldwin June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "First month was absolutely horrible. This is my first birth control pill. The nausea seemed to occur 2 hrs after taking the pill (I take it at 3pm everyday). I was also unmotivated and felt like my back ached all the time. Then it got better. I don't get headaches anymore. But looking back, I definitely gained weight, like A LOT. I didn't lose my sex drive. Anyway, I'm okay now."

Ica H June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Apri for 4 months, I'm 20 years old. This is my 5th overall birth control but the best yet. I have had some over emotional moments or as I call them "birth control" cries but nothing terrible. My appetite isn't out of control, on my period though is another story. On this particular pill my period in much longer, around 8-10 days. Sex drive is pretty normal, and weight gain has not been out of control, as long as I watch my diet and get my steps in every day I stay in the 120-130 range."

lydiaME234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been taking Velivet for about a year now because I started to have periods that lasted all month which resulted in anemia. My only complaint is that the cramps are quite bad, but it's done its job for me, so I can't complain!"

Ani4343435343 June 17, 2017