User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis 2 reviews 167 medications

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 14 reviews 97 medications

7.9
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 169 medications

Birth Control 571 reviews 293 medications

5.9
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 592 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control changed my life. I suffered through menstrual migraines and headaches for years, for 3 weeks out of the month I had a headache almost every single day. I started this pill in October 2015 and have had THREE headaches. Amazing"

9056 January 15, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was put on this birth control pill in preparation for IVF. I've been on other birth control brands in the past and have never had an experience like this! It's only been one week and I am MISERABLE. Incredibly depressed, emotional, fatigued and unmotivated. I've also noticed a huge appetite increase. In the beginning I was also super nauseous but that is fairly typical in my experience. I know that different pills have different effects on people and it takes a while to adjust but as I said, I've been on multiple brands and none has ever been this bad. All I want to do is sleep, eat, and cry. Good times."

Apriexperience (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started Apri a year and 4 months ago. When I first started, I was 175. I'm currently 210. My appetite has increased tremendously. It doesn't make me very moody, although I was depressed for a couple of months (maybe that could have been due to school). I've missed as many as 3 days and was still fine. My sex drive has decreased just a little, but nothing too major. My cycle is very regular and only lasts 3-4 days. I cramp, but not every cycle. Overall, it's decent."

Coley Coley January 8, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "horrible lost all sex drive, was hungry all the time, cried for no reason, really annoyed 24/7, felt like a monster, made me self-conscious and feel worthless. stopped after 2 weeks."

jjbygvgtf (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control has been a savior for me. After trying two different birth controls (Alesse and NuvaRing), I was losing hope that there was a good bcp out there. But velivet has been great! I didn't gain any weight, I don't feel any moodier, my acne has cleared up, my periods are lighter. Only complaint (which isn't really one, it's subjective) is that my sex drive is a lot more."

Asii (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started Apri after switching from a birth control where I'd only get my period once every three months. My partner said I was very moody during the first couple of months after switching, but I've since mellowed out. I've noticed my sex drive has decreased to being nonexistent except for during my period week. Other than the decreased sex drive, this pill works fine for clearing my skin and preventing pregnancy. I've noticed slightly heavier cramps than normal, but they're not unbearable."

raginasian2 December 29, 2016

For Endometriosis: "I have been on Mircette for a little more than 2 years now and it has worked pretty well for me. My doctor prescribed Mircette because I had very painful period cramps and long periods. Physically, Mircette was perfect for me. No bad side effects (acne, weight gain, breast tenderness) and barely any cramps. I got my period the exact same time every month and it always lasted 5 days. I only started to notice a problem within this past year. My mood is completely different when I am on the pill versus when I am not. I am more irritable, tired and have no sex drive. When I am on the pill versus when I am not is like black and white; I am two different people."

nolegirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on it for 2 years and it's cleared my skin and kept my periods insanely regular (I could tell you down to a 6 hours time frame when my period was coming). However, it left me fatigued and unmotivated. My school work suffered due to that. I may even say I had very mild depression while taking this. Not the pill for me."

gdsfjoygbsjkufvdsjkydvbsdh December 27, 2016

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was a bit on the edge to start taking this pill, because of how poorly it was reviewed. I'm now a couple months in, and I have no complaints. My mood has stayed as positive as before, and I have had depression before but no signs of that came back. My sex drive was pretty high before, and is now the same, or even more now that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I haven't gained any bloatingness, or gained weight, but that could be because I exercise, and have a minimal decreased appetite since I've been on the pill. My acne has been clearing up as well. The only weight gain I have noticed is that my breasts grew a whole cup size. Nothing but positive effects from velvivet!"

Daniela D December 26, 2016

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking this in August of this year, and the first period I had after starting this bc was excruciating. I had severe cramping, swollen & painful breasts, and bloating like crazy. I stuck it out because I know with bc you have to give it a few months to let your body adjust. My periods leveled out, but I only made it 4 months before I had to go back and request something else. My anxiety was exacerbated, depression came back, was extremely emotional, constantly hungry (gained weight because of that), went up 2 cup sizes due to swelling & weight gain, and was bloated all the time. It was a nightmare. It did prevent pregnancy though, so there's that. I've felt totally normal since switching to the mini pill. This just wasn't for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I would not recommend this birth control. I've been taking it for almost a year now and it just makes my period all wacky. It also makes me extremely emotional as opposed to my last brand before this which was trivora (love trivora) after I finish this pack I'm going to stop it all together. I just cant deal with it anymore. In the beginning it was fine but as time went on it just kept getting progressively worse and my period became all out of wack now. Definitely more cons than pros. The only thing that's good is that I haven't ever had pregnancy scare. Other than that....would not recommend"

Josieb29 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Kariva for a months now after switching from loestrin (which gave me insane mood swings and heavy discharge). My skin is good, periods are light, cramping is limited and mood is normal. But, my boobs have gotten bigger and I do notice that I have gained some weight in my upper thighs and hips."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control is amazing! I was definitely skeptical about it reading all of the mixed reviews, but I cannot really complain. The first month I started I had a week of migraines and a strenuous and painful menstrual period . But after that week, the migraines were gone and I literally had no cramps, headache, nausea, or any menstrual signs. My period only lasted 4 days, I'm in the best moods ever. I cannot say this medication effected my sexual desires. But the medication did lighten my discharge which I am very thankful for. CVS did try to switch me to the generic brand but I could not take risk. Literally it's great!"

Lisa Jackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm 19 and have been on this pill for 4 months now and have realized many changes. Some pros are that my acne has cleared up and excess hair slowed its growth rate but the cons outweigh the pros. I have terrible mood swings, headaches and nausea when i never had that before. My sex drive is nearly non existent. My periods are more controlled but they are very heavy and leave me very tired. I have gained 15 pounds in 4 months despite getting 2 hours of exercise almost everyday. I thought this pill would help my hormones levelled and help my depression, but has made my relapses far between but much more intense when they happen. overall, it gets the job done, but if you can, try a different pill."

Mar$ December 11, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Reclipsen was recommended to me by my doc when I was on other previous BC , because the dosage wasn't strong enough. I have been on Reclipsen regularly for about a year now and my depression, anxiety is through the roof. Everything makes me irritable and I always want to be left alone. It feels horrible! I was not always this way. Before the pill I was much more relaxed and enjoyed company! I do not recommend this pill to anyone and will not be taking it anymore. Too much stress and anxiety on my body. I always feel fatigue, exhausted, no energy or sex drive!"

Bayaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill is overall good. It made me have perfect skin, lighter and shorter periods etc. It also made my breasts grow two sizes and they would be very tender a lot of the time. But the bad outweighed the good. I was very moody, when I was PMSing people couldn't be around me. It made me cry over everything. Also, I couldn't drink! Even after one shot, or a glass of wine I would feel very nauseous and immediately throw up. I didn't think it was the pill at first, I was on it for over a year, but then when I got off of the pill I was able to drink again normally and wouldn't throw up at all...so I had an alcohol intolerance because of the pill."

Sheila G. December 2, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "For the most part, my experience on this medication has been very positive. It makes me feel better, my skin has cleared up, and my hair and nails even look healthier. However, I have noticed some weight gain (10 lbs) or so and I cannot seem to lose it. However, compared to other medications this is one of the few I can tolerate."

Starlight1234 November 30, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is one of those drugs that sneak up on you been on this shit for 8 months the first couple months I felt fine but by the 6th month I started having horrible pregnancy symptoms even though I wasn't pregnant and overall I've had anxiety attacks depression spells and I've gained water weight from the pills. I have no sex drive whatsoever. I've been on other pills and they almost killed me with allergic reactions or panic attacks."

Ceezee November 28, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "completely lost every bit of sex drive i had. gained about 10 pounds, mostly in my breast. helped my acne slightly."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control failed and I am due in May. Do NOT take this birth control as it leads to childbirth and mood swings. I hope this helps."

Marie Lou (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My doc prescribed this for endometriosis. I've tried other bc pills and right away they either made me depressed, nauseated, made my period last for weeks, gain weight, breasts ballooned up and were painful, cramps every day, acne, pretty much every awful side effect you can think of. But thankfully NOT on this pill. There has been zero side effects. Maybe for the first week I experienced mood swings at the same time at night when I took the pill but it didn't last if that was related to it. I only gave it 9 out of 10 because I've just started the second month and I'm keeping an open mind in case things were to change. But I'm so thrilled with it so far and I hope it holds up!"

Ames123 November 21, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switched from Loestrin 21 to Apri a few months back because my periods were irregular and my doc thought Apri would be better for me. I like that there's placebo pills in Apri cause I was awful at taking 21 day packs. The first couple months were a little tough adjusting to the higher dose of hormones. I was super emotional! But that's normal. I'm on month 5 now and things are fine. I'm still a little emotional, but only "cry at something dumb" emotional. Nothing I can't handle. My periods are light and I barely have any pain. Close to no acne. My boobs seemed to have grown a bit, so that's cool. My sex drive seems to be a tiny bit lower, but I never had a crazy high sex drive in the first place. My husband and I still have a healthy sex life. I might have gained like 5 pounds or less but that might be because of my lazy ass and not the birth control :) best of all, I haven't gotten pregnant! I recommend Apri. Give it a chance and let yourself adjust to the hormones."

AllynApri November 21, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for about 2 and a half years now. I started taking it when I was 16 and I'm now 19. It's been my first and only birth control and I was put on it because I had insanely irregular periods. My periods were always super heavy and lasted around 7 days. This made me completely regular, gave me way lighter periods that last at most 5 days, lowered my mood swings and reduced my cramps. I've never once experienced any nausea or negative side effects from taking the pill. Everyone's gotta find the right pill for them and this is definitely mine."

Freakfury November 18, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Viorele for a little over two years. I started out with a prescription for Kariva but CVS gave me the generic version which is Viorele. I was really impressed at first because my face was very clear and my horrible cramps and back aches from my period went away. After a few months I gained 20 pounds and 2 cup sizes and became very depressed and anxious. I did not know that Viorele was the cause of this until I went to my doctor. I just switched to a different birth control and I am waiting to see if there is a difference. Overall this was great for acne and cramping but the depression and weight gain was not worth it."

running247girl November 17, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So, I took this birth control for 3 years. Did it's job in terms of preventing pregnancy, but at a horrible cost. I gained over 30 lbs, had terrible nausea, mood swings, anxiety, depression, headaches, almost NO libido, you name it. It wasn't until I got off the pill completely to give myself a break from the constant stream of hormones that is birth control that I realized all of the issues I was experiencing was all the pill, not me. After 2 months off of the pill, all of the aforementioned issues have disappeared. CONSUMER BEWARE. Not worth it. When I do decide to go back on birth control, it will NOT be Viorele."

Gigiii (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2016