User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Simliya, Solia, Velivet, Viorele, Volnea …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis

Birth Control
5.7

Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 7.2 703 reviews

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill has worked pretty good for me, I’m 18 and I’ve had problems with my periods being very painful until I got on this pill. My period has shortened to 3-4 days and comes every 28 days. The one downside about this pill is it made my very moody and depressed for awhile when I first stared it"

clauds1142 December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switched from Azurette to Viorele by my pharmacy. Took Viorele for almost 3 months because I got 3 packs at a time. It gave me frequent headaches that I didn't experience on the azurette even though they are supposed to be the same. The biggest issue is I thought I had a UTI because it made me have to pee ALL the time. I had no other changes in my life except the pill so after going to the doctor and getting checked for UTI and it being negative I have switched back. My boobs were always sore but it made them look bigger so I didn't mind too much. If you have already big boobs though this might be a problem. Skin looks great on both pills. Period is light but cramps can be horrible sometimes."

aryah December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Reclipsen for at least a year. My periods were always set and wouldn't last a full week, they'd generally last around 3 days with moderate bleeding. I never got any acne really, I would maybe get one pimple a month closer to when I was about to start my period. My mood seemed fine. I never had any spotting. Now that I think about it I did have a lower sex drive. Overall, I would recommend Reclipsen! I recently switched birth control through no choice of my own but I'm seriously debating on going back to Reclipsen."

TISHAAAAAAAA December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Been on April for about a year. My sex drive went down horribly low in the past 12 months to the point where it became a problem. Acne is moderate, though a bit worse as it used to be on my previous pill, but definitely better than what I would have without any pill. My weight fluctuated a lot in the past 12 months both ways, but I wouldn't say it's pills' fault. Periods are regular and painless."

Jen86_11 December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Nonstop spotting for 6 weeks. Weight gain, bloated. I can’t wait to switch back to Juleber. My only side effect with Juleber was bigger boobs."

Foxsky December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I was on Lo Logestin Fe 24 for years and didn’t realize it was the reason I had acne, severe bloating and weight gain, and anger issues/depression/anxiety. A coworker convinced me to try Viorele. I immediately was less bloated, had less anxiety and depression, and my acne went away. Within 3 months, I lost almost 10 pounds without changing my diet or exercising. I am not happy with having a somewhat regular period flow (Lo Lo made my flow very light), but the exchange for feeling normal may be worth it. I am trying Yaz now, and it’s creating severe anxiety, so I may come back to Viorele."

Jereli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "At first, the side effects were minimal, but starting around the 2nd-week depression slowly crept up and made me super miserable. I've switched to Ortho Cylen and feel much better."

M832974384279 November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Viorele for over 2 years, and I do not have problems with it at all. No pregnancies, light menstruation and no cramping. No problems with moods swings at all!!!"

Tee86 November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately."

KateB17 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Rated a 5 due to its effectiveness at preventing pregnancy but I stopped taking it after many years of this brand or the same ingredients in different brands because I've finally realized it is the cause of my frequent migraines, terrible moodiness and anger issues. I stopped taking to try to conceive and had been off it for about two years. All of those side effects disappeared at least a great deal. Now I've been back on for 6 months and all side effects have reappeared. Please if you are experiencing depression, anger issues, anxiety or similar issues don't write it off, it will begin to have a huge affect on your daily life."

Sylq November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I’ve really liked this BC. I haven’t had any weight gain or mood swings. The few things I have experienced is trouble wearing contacts, darkening of facial skin, and a little more acne around chin. Other than that can’t complain. Doctors would like me to switch from this BC to and IUD or implant due to the fact I’m on Lamotrigine. I’m pretty nervous about that."

Jayne42080 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects."

haleyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is the only bc that I have been able to tolerate since I had my first child over 10 years ago. I had no problems prior to pregnancy. I had a hard time after my 2nd child. No period, thyroiditis, mood swings, depression...yuck! I have evened out now. I did have headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings in the beginning. Currently on the 5th mo. I do suffer from insomnia but often wonder if Viorele is making it worse. I had many other symptoms that were way worse than starting on Viorele. It's calmed me and fatigue is trying to leave. My bowels are effected during the yellow pills and first few days of a new pack. Meds effect everyone differently. I was about out of options, glad the side effects are diminishing."

not that bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switched to Viorele from Azurette about 3-4 months ago. Azurette was amazing. Light periods, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, no weight gain and did not mess with my Libido what so ever . It worked with my body perfectly. Since I've been put on Viorele, I've had the WORST mood swings, and bad depression. My boyfriend has even noticed that I never want to do anything anymore and am on the verge of crying/ having anger episodes. I have not been myself since I've been on Viorelle. I was on my period for literally the first 2 months of taking it. I also have had NO sex drive. Which is also affecting my relationship. I know different medications effect differently to each person, but I wanted to share mine with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took reclipsen for around 10 years with no issues. My doctor said I could ride this out until age 50 as I didn't have any risk factors (except age as I was over 40). Out of the blue, I got a groin to knee DVT and the cause was this stupid pill!!!! I am so very lucky it didn't become a PE and I could have suffered a horrible disability or worse. 7 months later and I still have long term effects from the DVT and the damage to my leg caused by it. When I asked by doctor if they would be reporting as an adverse reaction to the FDA, she said "oh, they already know." which tells me, the side effects (especially the serious ones) are under-reported!!!!! Find another method of BC!!!! This isn't worth it!"

REGRETIT October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I switched to Kariva from Apri. I have been on Apri for 6 month, and I have noticed that my hair started to fall out. However, it might be connected to other reasons, my hair is usually sensitive to stress, and I had particularly bad times 3-6 months ago. Anyways, I switched because of this and water retention I have been experiencing. It definitely helped! I have lost approximately 5 pounds in first 2 weeks with Kariva, and I do not loose my hair anymore. However, I have noticed PMS with the first pack of Kariva. I had it all the time before I started BC, it stopped with Apri, and now it seems to be back again."

qq33452 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Do NOT take this medication. I am 22 years old and have been on the pill since 16. I was having intense menstrual bleeding so my doctor prescribed me a higher dose and ended up giving me this brand. It did not help my cramps what so ever and it made me very emotional. I lost all of my sex drive and became very dry down there. The most scary part is yet to come... A month and a half into it I became EXTREMELY dizzy and light headed. I decided to finish up the month then get off of it. However 2 weeks off of it and I am still extremely dizzy and lightheaded. I have gotten every blood test and nothing comes up. I have seen that several other women experienced pulmonary embolism in the lungs and will be getting this checked out. DO NOT USE!"

SophiaLore October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Ortho Cept for three years it was the first pill I tried since I was on the Depo-Provera for 8 years. I loved it!! Even though I loved the depo shot they don’t recommend it over a long period of time. There were no negative effects for me, positive effect was a whole cup size up in my breast. I can say once I got off all birth control it was the first time I ever had cramps, felt sluggish and had mood swings. It’s been three years not on any birth control So I can’t wait to get back on ortho cept this month!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This medication from day 1 made me feel not so good but week 3 I already have breast buds and fat on hips. Love this pill"

ManGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My daughter was switched from Azurette (no side effects) to Viorelle, by the pharmacy. She's miserable. Periods are still unstable, the breakouts have stopped but thats the only plus! Her periods last forever, she's always exhausted, looks like a zombie half the time, got sick with a cough and took a month to kick it, has NO energy, NO strength, gaining weight, Horrible headaches and period cramps. After reading the other problems ladies have had with this pill she will be STOPPING IT! Thanks ladies for coming on here to tell your stories!"

Barely Functioning Zombie October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took reclipsen for about 5 years. For the last year I was spotting everyday. My doctor thought it was possibly a uterine polyp but once she did a hysteroscopy (put a camera in my uterus) she discovered that my uterine lining had become dangerous thin due to the pill. I immediately stopped taking it. I used to be blotted everyday, but since I stopped the pill my stomach is flat and I dropped 10 pounds almost instantly. My boobs did shrink once I stopped but it was a fair trade for the weight loss. The worst part about all this is the 3 months after I stopped the reclipsen I've been experiencing insane hair loss. Every time I brush or wash my hair it comes out in wads. I can now see my scalp through my bangs. I would never recommend reclipse"

Christyincolorado (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My doctor put me on this BC 3 months postpartum and I've decided to stop taking after being on it for two months. I've bled the entire time being on this pill, mood swings, dark thoughts, very emotional, nauseated all the time, the bloating is so uncomfortable (prior to starting this pill I had my waist back and almost a flat stomach but now I look like I'm a few months pregnant again!) I have no drive, low energy (I'm sure from bleeding for 2 months), I just want to eat all the time, I've gained weight, overall this BC didn't mesh very well with my body. I'll be going back to taking Enskyce again, which I took for 3years with no issues."

Sally430 September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Apri for almost 5 years. I was originally put on it for acne but it's also been very effective as birth control too. My partner and I don't use any other form of birth control unless I'm on conflicting meds. My periods are regular and predictable, usually 3-4 days. I've gained weight, but I don't think Apri was the cause. Overall, Apri works well for me and have had no issues with it."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm 22 and weigh 110 lbs. my dosage for juleber was 0.15. I didn't ever get pregnant on juleber or get acne or weight gain. The only negative thing that happened was I was extremely moody. The week before my period I was extremely emotional and during my period I was also really emotional. Other than that it was a good bc"

Jay jayakshsjs September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm on my second month of Apri, and honestly haven't experienced any side effects. My biggest concern was the whole blood clot issue, but my doctor says I'm low risk and healthy, so I need not worry. Only down fall, is you will be moody. Since I read reviews before hand, I'm in total control of my mood swings since I know its the birth control making me agitated. Weight gain? None. Boobs? Sometimes they're really tender and heavy feeling. Once I get in the sugar pull week those feelings subside. Overall, Apri has been good to me."

Miss Bee (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017