User Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Kariva, Isibloom, Enskyce, Viorele, Azurette, Reclipsen, Desogen, Juleber, Velivet, Cyred EQ, Volnea, Cyred, Cyclessa, Emoquette, Kalliga, Pimtrea, Simliya Bekyree Caziant Kimidess …show all brand names

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 1,381 ratings on Drugs.com. 36% of those users who reviewed Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
8.3
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.4 1,381 reviews

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

mollymare · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2021

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I just finished my first month of this. I previously was on Nortrel 7/7/7 and have tried the ring. This has been the most problematic off the bat. Although my acne seems to be getting better, I have bled every day since starting the pack. It seems to be more than spotting though, its a flow similar to the middle of my period. Also, when I started my placebo pills my “period” has been more heavy than any I've had in my life. In the first week I experienced nausea and extreme mood swings and depression. My symptoms have not ben consistent with any of the other times I’ve been on birth control, hopefully they get better over the next 2 months or I’m asking for a different birth control.”

jgill09 June 2, 2021

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Terrible! Mother of 2. I use to take Ortho-cept before marriage l. No problems then. I asked my doctor to recommend me something for my heavy cramps during my period and my once a month pimple that appears every month near my chin area. I am a super healthy person as I eat at home 5 days a week, cook all my meals by scratch and do no drugs besides a few cocktails on the weekends. I workout 3 to 4 times a week. I am very in tune with my body. I am on month three with these pills and they have thrown me through a complete tornado!!! I get nausea, I get bloating, my sex drive is gone! It’s awful! To top it off I get two periods a month as I start to bloat and bleed on day 15 of the pill! It sucks!! I have decided to completely go off the pill and will never return. It is not worth it. I will happily take my two days of period cramps and pimple every month over this craziness I just went through. I plan to do the IUD and call a day. Good luck ladies, no thank you to more hormones.”

Vidys429 June 2, 2021

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I was really excited to start taking birth control. I was almost 19, in a relationship and wanted to be safe. Plus there were other benefits to taking birth control such as lighter/regular periods and improvement in acne. When I first started taking Isibloom, I felt myself getting nauseous sometimes and cramps in my pelvic area. About a week after I started I had gotten a cramping feeling in both of my calves, so I had to take ultrasounds to make sure there was no clotting. Nothing there and I continued to use it. I noticed myself getting more sensitive and very irritable, but I figured it was a side effect. I would get sad for no reason. I would get really anxious sometimes. I disconnected with a lot around me, I didn’t have the energy that I did pre-birth control and I definitely did not feel like myself. It progressively got worse and my mental health was bad. Everyone’s experience is different. I stopped the birth control a week ago and now I feel more like myself!”

mands · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 5, 2021

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I just want to remind everyone reading these reviews that an individual who has a horrible experience is more likely to share their experience as opposed to someone who had a just fine or great experience. I have taken Apri since I was 14, I am now 23. It has always worked well for me, no weight gain, my skin is completely clear, and I barely have a period anymore, which is the reason I started taking it so young as I had debilitating periods, and Apri was a total game changer. Also, as someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety throughout their life, Apri has had no affect on my symptoms. Please, do not take these (some of them terrifying) reviews too seriously when choosing a birth control and listen to the advice of your DOCTOR above all else.”

Syrup · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 11, 2021

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “The first year with the green packaging was amazing. The year went by as great as can be, very little nausea and pain. I order my medication through pill club and this time I got a bold pink packaging. I don’t know if the ingredient in it has changed or what but it’s been my worst living nightmare. Extreme pain that makes me not want to walk around without being in unbearable pain. Extreme nausea and back pain. Almost made me think I was pregnant but I’m not. Thinking about getting a different prescription to get away from the pain because it’s too much and ruining my whole life.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I took Apri for 5yrs. First 2yrs were great - light periods, skin cleared up etc. However everything slowly started to change. 2018 I found myself constantly worried, feeling like walls were caving in on me. My anxiety climbed everyday. Fell into a deep depression where I contemplated suicide. Started having violent thoughts - wanting to hurt those around me. Physical changes - gained 30 pounds in 2yrs, skin started to get greasy. I would sleep 12+ hours & still not have energy. Mood swings. Crying daily - not able to control my emotions. I decided enough was enough. I stopped taking Apri immediately. It has now been 2 months since then - I no longer cry daily, mood is significantly improved, skin is less greasy. My sleep schedule is learning to regulate itself, I have more energy. Apri for the first 2yrs was great. However, somewhere along the way that changed. It's possible that in the time I was getting older, my inner body started to change and Apri just no longer worked for me.”

RaccoonInDaRoom · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I understand that medication effects everyone differently but this has been heaven sent for me. I joined online contraceptive company and they prescribed me this, after reading the reviews I was mortified to take it. I even asked them for a different brand but they told me there’s nothing else my insurance covered. I know the miserable person I am , I am so sad and emotional all the time. My mood swings are off the rails. ANYWAY, so I have no choice I start taking this and holy moly I have never felt more normal. I mean I wake up, I feel refreshed, I feel overall way more calm. This is my first experience with pill birth control and I’m 25. I’ve done the shot once before and I hated it, I was legit throwing plates from my dishwasher against the wall like frisbees because I was so angry...But I just love this. I mean I don’t know if it’s like a hormonal thing for me and if it balanced it out or something but this has worked great in my experience.”

Natalia · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started Isibloom last year and just recently finished my 3 month trial period with them. If you have a history with depression/anxiety, I would not recommend taking Isibloom. I felt like I was going crazy and my anxiety increased dramatically. I also had insomnia and paranoia during the end of the first month and second month. Did not experience weight gain, skin stayed the same (I have hormonal acne), sex drive decreased dramatically.”

Lily December 15, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on birth control for 5 months but my doctor recently changed me to Isibloom, I’ve been on Isibloom for almost 3 months and the first month was normal then the second month got worse - at first I thought I was pregnant (also keep in mind I take my birth control at 9am every morning and never missed one) because my breasts hurt, I had headaches, nausea (without throwing up so far) and a couple other symptoms then I looked up Isibloom side effects and it all made sense hopefully next month things get better.”

anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I've been on Apri for about 4 years now. I've never had any serious reactions/symptoms. If you're seeing other people's stories about their struggle taking this pill please remember that everyone is different! Symptoms vary! It's been a long time but I believe I was slightly nauseous for a few days when I first started Apri but since then no problems at all.”

Sufferfrompcos March 5, 2021

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “After years of suffering with PCOS symptoms- Apri has saved me! It has eliminated most of my acne. First month was harsh, but I knew with how out of whack my hormones were, I was going to have side effects adjusting, so I bared down and now I'm in the last week of my third pack! First month I had the worst morning sickness, I didn't know how I was going to handle it. Each month so far I've thrown up at least once in the first week.. I find the more often I eat, the less I feel the sickness. I've gained about 15lbs. My appetite has started calming down this month. I went from an A cup to C cup so far so I stopped wearing a bra. Some nights the pain is so bad I have to massage my breasts. I don't find I'm holding much water weight anywhere. I have experienced some headaches but I try to sleep them off. My periods are already lighter, but still adjusting overall. The best thing from all of this is my depression & mood swings have depleted. I'm meeting with my Dr to renew my prescription!l”

Liz · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Isibloom gave me extreme cramping, constant vomiting, diarrhea, severe joint stiffness and pain, daily migraines this was soooooooooo not worth it! Everyone is different so you might be one of the lucky few that don’t have any side effects but for me this was one of the most horrendous experiences of my life. Never again!”

Anonymous July 11, 2010

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started originally on Tri-Sprintec for about 3 months, which I believe is the generic of Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I was an emotional wreck, so my doctor switched me to Apri. I had absolutely NO symptoms whatsoever. I actually lost weight! Didn't increase my bra size, which could have been from the losing weight part. My acne cleared up within 2 months of starting Apri. It made my period so regular that I knew to the day down to the hour that I would start my period, with absolutely no spotting in between periods. I didn't really notice any changes in my sex drive. Overall, I would strongly recommend this pill!”

JZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I have been taking Apri for about 6 months now. For about 4 of those months, I have spotted heavily the week before my period, so basically I feel like I have my period for two weeks in a row. I asked my doctor about this and she said it is normal because I started the pill recently. I feel like by 6 months this shouldn't still be happening. Does this happen to anyone else on this pill?”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started taking Isibloom about a year ago. In the beginning I didn't mind taking this, I did not have any of the side effects and everything was okay. These last few months, however, my libido has gone down the drain. I've seen other reviews with the same thing, it literally is so painful whenever I have sex with my partner :( I also have been having migraines these last few months and my cramps seem to be worse than ever. I got prescribed this from Pill Club, as I am a broke college student with no insurance. I'm trying to find a different prescription through them at the moment.”

R_Drake · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2015

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I hope people aren't deterred by other reviews on this site. Typically people go online to leave bad reviews. I, on the other hand, have had a GREAT experience with this birth control thus far. I have been on it for about a month and have had no side effects! Before Mircette I tried EVERYTHING- Sprintec, tri-sprintec, the patch, the ring, Yaz, etc. A lot of pills made me very moody, anxious, depressed, or excessively fatigued. Some pills made me very sick to my stomach. Mircette has been awesome. My hormonal acne has already cleared up, I don't get upset to my stomach at all, and I haven't experienced mood swings. I am thrilled that I finally found a birth control that works for me. I HIGHLY recommend trying it.”

Annie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on Isibloom for about 5 months now, it was my first time ever using birth control and since I was finally in a serious stable relationship I thought it was best to go on birth control and my boyfriend agreed with me after I told him. I’ve seen many negative reviews and that scared me a lot at first but this medication has not even me any type of side that concerned me in anyway! I am still full of energy, I get my period like clockwork now which is something I haven’t been able to control since I first started getting my period so that was a blessing! Also I see no signs of weight gain or mood swings. The only thing I can say is I’ve been bloated sometimes and the first week I had a little bit of nausea but that went away very quickly. Overall this is a good choice for birth control!”

FENG MAIN · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I honestly was so afraid from reading the reviews on this pill. Been on it for a month and: No vaginal sensitivity, sex drive is fine, boobs are fine, no nausea, no spotting, I have been sleepy but I work a lot soooo (?), my mood is normal if not improved... Trust me folks, it's not everyone. I gained 100lbs on Junel and if anything I've lost weight on Isibloom. I got it through the pill club. I'm having my usual moodiness towards period time but nothing else. Don't be too afraid. Also don't think too much or you might cause yourself to experience non-existent symptoms!”

Annie Dudlee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “My experience with Isibloom seems to be the opposite of everyone else. I was fine the first 3-4 months but around month five my mood swings began. I would be laughing one second and the next my boyfriend would say he wants to go get food and I would cry because I didn’t want to get out of bed, or I was so happy he was thinking the same thing. Now we’re in about month 8 and I have diarrhea most days of the week, 3 days of my week I’m crying for nothing or because I’m happy but I can never tell my boyfriend why I’m upset because I simply don’t know. I’ve never felt this way and it’s concerning to me why it happened to most women within the first month and stopped but it’s happening to me in months 5-9 and it just keeps getting worse. I still am sexually active and my sex drive is the same as it always has been. But I wonder what could help the mood swings stop...?”

kelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’m 18 and and after signing up for online contraception and looking into it , I was prescribed to Isibloom. I started taking isibloom on the first day of my cycle and not just a regular day. I noticed that my cycle was the same length but it was lighter and I experienced minimal cramps. I haven’t noticed any major side effects except my chest size going up a little bit and my emotions change like clockwork. Also a tip, a lot of the women giving reviews are older. So if you are in a younger age group like under 18 or 18-25 you may not experience the same side effects. The one thing I do recommend though is having a balanced diet because that can also cause some negative effects.”

Layla June 7, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I’ve been taking this birth control for 6 years. I was prescribed it from my dermatologist for acne, but I also use it as a birth control method. My acne has gone away SUBSTANTIALLY, and I’m able to skip my period on this medication. I also have never had a pregnancy scare when taking this birth control, and my significant other does not pull out / use condoms. I’m very happy with how much this has helped my acne and worked to prevent pregnancy!! I haven’t noticed any side effects either.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2021

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “This is the 3rd bc pill I’ve tried and it’s by far the worst. There’s barely any time during the month where I feel okay. The week before my period, week during, and week after I feel super gross and have low energy. I have gained 15 pounds in the past 2 1/2 months and it’s been super detrimental to my mental health. My depression and anxiety is the same as on any other pill but I have depressive episodes where I cry for no reason every so often on this. Do not recommend.”

alive February 20, 2019

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Just over 1 year ago I went through a horrific medical event, one that almost claimed my life because of Apri. On December 9th, 2017 I went to the ER because I had what I thought was a severe migraine. They treated and released me. Only to go back on Dec11th -They had found blood clots in my brain so severe I had to have surgery and it ultimately saved my life. I spent 2 long weeks in the hospital. I have been through a crazy amount of genetic tests and all this point ALL of my doctors blame my Birth Control. Surprisingly I have no lasting side effects. Though I am told I am a rare case. You think the warnings cant happen to you...until it does. They tell me there are birth controls that are "safe" - but it is not worth my life. I want nothing more than to let people know that this CAN and DID happen. REALLY talk to your doctor, and do your homework before just accepting whatever they give you.”

Bunny · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 25, 2019

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “So I was on a regular birth control ortho and gained weight and was super moody and crying g all the time. I got switched to mircette doctor though less hormones would be good they she was right. I lost weight, I wasn't a crying nonstop and when I was ready to have my son was pregnant within a month of stopping the pill. I ended up getting and IUD after and it was the biggest mistake of my life. It threw my body''s immune system into a panic and my health got worse and worse. Acne, weight gain like being pregnant etc Doctor removed and I am going back to mircette. Best birth control I have ever used.”

Alisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2020

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I switched to this by accident from Valette — on Valette I had a very stable mood, clear skin, no weight gain etc. This pill, on the other hand, is horrible. I had nausea for the first week and a half, cramps for two weeks and I’ve just come to the realization that my insane mood swings are from this pill. It’s making me very depressed and I cry often”

Skye · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2021

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Love this birth control. I was nervous before taking it because I read so many reviews about depression and mental health issues associated with it but I have none of those symptoms and I’ve been on it for about a year. Light periods and no weight gain for me. I am also a diabetic so this is a great birth control as it doesn’t affect my blood sugar levels as some other birth control methods have in the past. I would definitely recommend.”

Angie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Isibloom is the first birth control brand that I have been on and all I can say is that it has done me wonders. I have severe acne and I was really hoping that it could clear up my skin and it did! After my third month on the pill, my skin was finally healing and I couldn't be any happier. It has also shortened my period, lessened my cramps, and reduced my flow. On top of all that, I gained no weight whatsoever. If anything, I lost ten pounds, and it has not caused me to become depressed or sad in any way. Isibloom really works for me!”

Kittycat87 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “The reviews on here are all so harsh lol. I felt like I needed to give my experience. I’ve been on Isibloom for over a year, and I’ve had no issues. When I first started I was so worried about how my body would react based on other experiences, but everyone is different. I’ve had no problems, I often take it continuously to skip my period and have no problems. I really like it, sometimes if I take it continuously for a while my breasts will get sore, and I might be a little moody. But then I take the placebo and have my period and I feel fine after that. This really works for my body. You never know how you will react.”