User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Enskyce, Isibloom, Azurette, Kariva, Volnea, Velivet, Reclipsen, Viorele, Desogen, Cyred EQ, Juleber, Cyclessa, Emoquette, Simliya, Kalliga, Cyred Bekyree Caziant Pimtrea Kimidess …show all brand names

Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 1,500 ratings on Drugs.com. 36% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 38% reported a negative experience.

Birth Control
8.8
Summary of Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.3 1,500 reviews

Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

mands · Taken for 5 to 10 years · May 5, 2021

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I just want to remind everyone reading these reviews that an individual who has a horrible experience is more likely to share their experience as opposed to someone who had a just fine or great experience. I have taken Apri since I was 14, I am now 23. It has always worked well for me, no weight gain, my skin is completely clear, and I barely have a period anymore, which is the reason I started taking it so young as I had debilitating periods, and Apri was a total game changer. Also, as someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety throughout their life, Apri has had no affect on my symptoms. Please, do not take these (some of them terrifying) reviews too seriously when choosing a birth control and listen to the advice of your DOCTOR above all else.”

Syrup · Taken for 1 to 2 years · January 11, 2021

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “The first year with the green packaging was amazing. The year went by as great as can be, very little nausea and pain. I order my medication through pill club and this time I got a bold pink packaging. I don’t know if the ingredient in it has changed or what but it’s been my worst living nightmare. Extreme pain that makes me not want to walk around without being in unbearable pain. Extreme nausea and back pain. Almost made me think I was pregnant but I’m not. Thinking about getting a different prescription to get away from the pain because it’s too much and ruining my whole life.”

RaccoonInDaRoom · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 9, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I understand that medication effects everyone differently but this has been heaven sent for me. I joined online contraceptive company and they prescribed me this, after reading the reviews I was mortified to take it. I even asked them for a different brand but they told me there’s nothing else my insurance covered. I know the miserable person I am , I am so sad and emotional all the time. My mood swings are off the rails. ANYWAY, so I have no choice I start taking this and holy moly I have never felt more normal. I mean I wake up, I feel refreshed, I feel overall way more calm. This is my first experience with pill birth control and I’m 25. I’ve done the shot once before and I hated it, I was legit throwing plates from my dishwasher against the wall like frisbees because I was so angry...But I just love this. I mean I don’t know if it’s like a hormonal thing for me and if it balanced it out or something but this has worked great in my experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 11, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I took Apri for 5yrs. First 2yrs were great - light periods, skin cleared up etc. However everything slowly started to change. 2018 I found myself constantly worried, feeling like walls were caving in on me. My anxiety climbed everyday. Fell into a deep depression where I contemplated suicide. Started having violent thoughts - wanting to hurt those around me. Physical changes - gained 30 pounds in 2yrs, skin started to get greasy. I would sleep 12+ hours & still not have energy. Mood swings. Crying daily - not able to control my emotions. I decided enough was enough. I stopped taking Apri immediately. It has now been 2 months since then - I no longer cry daily, mood is significantly improved, skin is less greasy. My sleep schedule is learning to regulate itself, I have more energy. Apri for the first 2yrs was great. However, somewhere along the way that changed. It's possible that in the time I was getting older, my inner body started to change and Apri just no longer worked for me.”

littlered32 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · April 16, 2021

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on Enskyce for almost a year now. I'm shocked that so many people have had bad reactions to it because I haven't had any issues and I take it every day to prevent periods due to endometriosis. No weight gain, no emotional changes, no acne, NOTHING. Which is amazing! I definitely recommend this to women with endo because I feel like a new person without ever being interrupted by the terrible pain it causes. It may not work for everybody, but I would say it's definitely worth the try.”

Natalia · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 24, 2021

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started Isibloom last year and just recently finished my 3 month trial period with them. If you have a history with depression/anxiety, I would not recommend taking Isibloom. I felt like I was going crazy and my anxiety increased dramatically. I also had insomnia and paranoia during the end of the first month and second month. Did not experience weight gain, skin stayed the same (I have hormonal acne), sex drive decreased dramatically.”

anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years · January 24, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I've been on Apri for about 4 years now. I've never had any serious reactions/symptoms. If you're seeing other people's stories about their struggle taking this pill please remember that everyone is different! Symptoms vary! It's been a long time but I believe I was slightly nauseous for a few days when I first started Apri but since then no problems at all.”

FENG MAIN · Taken for less than 1 month · October 15, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I honestly was so afraid from reading the reviews on this pill. Been on it for a month and: No vaginal sensitivity, sex drive is fine, boobs are fine, no nausea, no spotting, I have been sleepy but I work a lot soooo (?), my mood is normal if not improved... Trust me folks, it's not everyone. I gained 100lbs on Junel and if anything I've lost weight on Isibloom. I got it through the pill club. I'm having my usual moodiness towards period time but nothing else. Don't be too afraid. Also don't think too much or you might cause yourself to experience non-existent symptoms!”

R_Drake · Taken for less than 1 month · August 4, 2015

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I hope people aren't deterred by other reviews on this site. Typically people go online to leave bad reviews. I, on the other hand, have had a GREAT experience with this birth control thus far. I have been on it for about a month and have had no side effects! Before Mircette I tried EVERYTHING- Sprintec, tri-sprintec, the patch, the ring, Yaz, etc. A lot of pills made me very moody, anxious, depressed, or excessively fatigued. Some pills made me very sick to my stomach. Mircette has been awesome. My hormonal acne has already cleared up, I don't get upset to my stomach at all, and I haven't experienced mood swings. I am thrilled that I finally found a birth control that works for me. I HIGHLY recommend trying it.”

Annie · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 1, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on Isibloom for about 5 months now, it was my first time ever using birth control and since I was finally in a serious stable relationship I thought it was best to go on birth control and my boyfriend agreed with me after I told him. I’ve seen many negative reviews and that scared me a lot at first but this medication has not even me any type of side that concerned me in anyway! I am still full of energy, I get my period like clockwork now which is something I haven’t been able to control since I first started getting my period so that was a blessing! Also I see no signs of weight gain or mood swings. The only thing I can say is I’ve been bloated sometimes and the first week I had a little bit of nausea but that went away very quickly. Overall this is a good choice for birth control!”

mood swings · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 5, 2022

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “The first three months of this pill were not that bad, although I did begin to experience abnormal anxiety (for me) and mood swings. I also began to experience some heart palpitations (which I had chalked up to the anxiety). I am in month 5 now and I'm beyond done. This BC has made me more moody than I ever have been. I get angry and irritated and snap at things or people and I am usually a very genial and happy person. This has made me feel like an entirely different person. I have experienced awful anxiety as well, like panic attacks waking me up at night. Also extremely vivid dreaming that causes me to feel like I'm not sleeping, which I am sure has perpetuated my other symptoms. Everyone's body is different, but my experience has been terrible.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years · February 3, 2021

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “So I was on this Kariva pill for YEARS. Like 6 or 7 years. I never realized what this pill did to my mental health until I got off of it. I was ALWAYS tired, always had brain fog, and was always crying. I had ridiculous mood swings. I just hated how I was. I always felt awful. My sex drive was way low too. Coming off of this pill was the best decision I’ve ever made. Believe the negative reviews.”

JZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 12, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I have been taking Apri for about 6 months now. For about 4 of those months, I have spotted heavily the week before my period, so basically I feel like I have my period for two weeks in a row. I asked my doctor about this and she said it is normal because I started the pill recently. I feel like by 6 months this shouldn't still be happening. Does this happen to anyone else on this pill?”

Anonymous · July 11, 2010

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started originally on Tri-Sprintec for about 3 months, which I believe is the generic of Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I was an emotional wreck, so my doctor switched me to Apri. I had absolutely NO symptoms whatsoever. I actually lost weight! Didn't increase my bra size, which could have been from the losing weight part. My acne cleared up within 2 months of starting Apri. It made my period so regular that I knew to the day down to the hour that I would start my period, with absolutely no spotting in between periods. I didn't really notice any changes in my sex drive. Overall, I would strongly recommend this pill!”

kelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 24, 2019

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’m 18 and and after signing up for online contraception and looking into it , I was prescribed to Isibloom. I started taking isibloom on the first day of my cycle and not just a regular day. I noticed that my cycle was the same length but it was lighter and I experienced minimal cramps. I haven’t noticed any major side effects except my chest size going up a little bit and my emotions change like clockwork. Also a tip, a lot of the women giving reviews are older. So if you are in a younger age group like under 18 or 18-25 you may not experience the same side effects. The one thing I do recommend though is having a balanced diet because that can also cause some negative effects.”

Chocolateookies · Taken for 1 to 2 years · October 23, 2021

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I'm so surprised to see so many bad reviews! This pill has had zero side effects on me, I love it. I've been on if for about a year and a half. It's my first birth control pill and I remember thinking "wow! I lucked out" since I've heard so many horror stories about the pill. I think it's great. It's low dosage and I've had no negative side affects. Originally went on it to regulate my periods but keep using it to prevent pregnancy (too young for kids right now). It's worked well so far!”

Liz · Taken for less than 1 month · September 22, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Isibloom gave me extreme cramping, constant vomiting, diarrhea, severe joint stiffness and pain, daily migraines this was soooooooooo not worth it! Everyone is different so you might be one of the lucky few that don’t have any side effects but for me this was one of the most horrendous experiences of my life. Never again!”

Bikerider84 · March 6, 2021

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Should be illegal! Constant bleeding, extreme bloating (look 6 months pregnant), severe mood swings from angry to hysterical uncontrollably sobbing for days, severe depression, breakthrough bleeding almost the entire cycle, insomnia for days, anxiety and panic attacks, swelling, massive weight gain (8lbs) despite eating 1200 calories and biking everyday, horrible fatigue! Tried multiple times and gave up after the fourth month”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years · January 26, 2020

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “if you are prone to anxiety or depression please be very careful while taking this Apri birth control pill. The first couple of months I felt very nauseous and would have the worst cramps around my period not to mention it made my flow heavier. I would get awful headaches the days leading up to my periods as well. I had anxiety before I started this pill but when I started to take it it escalated very quickly. I have been on this pill for a year now and it took until now for me to realize that it was making me lose my mind. I felt completely out of control in my thoughts and was making my anxiety spiral. I am now off of it and I feel like myself again. Be careful!!!”

alive · February 20, 2019

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Just over 1 year ago I went through a horrific medical event, one that almost claimed my life because of Apri. On December 9th, 2017 I went to the ER because I had what I thought was a severe migraine. They treated and released me. Only to go back on Dec11th -They had found blood clots in my brain so severe I had to have surgery and it ultimately saved my life. I spent 2 long weeks in the hospital. I have been through a crazy amount of genetic tests and all this point ALL of my doctors blame my Birth Control. Surprisingly I have no lasting side effects. Though I am told I am a rare case. You think the warnings cant happen to you...until it does. They tell me there are birth controls that are "safe" - but it is not worth my life. I want nothing more than to let people know that this CAN and DID happen. REALLY talk to your doctor, and do your homework before just accepting whatever they give you.”

______ · April 7, 2013

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “This birth control pill is awesome. It made my periods even lighter than they were before, I get no pimples, I've lost 15 pounds, my breasts went from a B to a D, and emotionally I feel the same as I did before it. I would highly recommend it.”

Layla · June 7, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I’ve been taking this birth control for 6 years. I was prescribed it from my dermatologist for acne, but I also use it as a birth control method. My acne has gone away SUBSTANTIALLY, and I’m able to skip my period on this medication. I also have never had a pregnancy scare when taking this birth control, and my significant other does not pull out / use condoms. I’m very happy with how much this has helped my acne and worked to prevent pregnancy!! I haven’t noticed any side effects either.”

Lily · December 15, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on birth control for 5 months but my doctor recently changed me to Isibloom, I’ve been on Isibloom for almost 3 months and the first month was normal then the second month got worse - at first I thought I was pregnant (also keep in mind I take my birth control at 9am every morning and never missed one) because my breasts hurt, I had headaches, nausea (without throwing up so far) and a couple other symptoms then I looked up Isibloom side effects and it all made sense hopefully next month things get better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 21, 2020

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started taking Isibloom about a year ago. In the beginning I didn't mind taking this, I did not have any of the side effects and everything was okay. These last few months, however, my libido has gone down the drain. I've seen other reviews with the same thing, it literally is so painful whenever I have sex with my partner :( I also have been having migraines these last few months and my cramps seem to be worse than ever. I got prescribed this from Pill Club, as I am a broke college student with no insurance. I'm trying to find a different prescription through them at the moment.”

Michele · Taken for less than 1 month · November 15, 2019

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I have only just started taking Enskyce, about 4 days now. I am taking it because we are starting IVF treatments and part of the treatment cycle is to take birth control for two weeks. I have had sudden onset headaches with neck and lower back pains and I have vomited three times in the evenings. I take the pill between 11:00am-1pm every day. Around 7:00pm-10:00pm I have thrown up everything I am eating. I am trying to stick it out since I should not have to take it for long but if this could help anyone else who is considering taking it or currently having the same issues and plan to take it for long durations, than I wanted to share my story.”