User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol systemic

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Cyred EQ, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Simliya, Velivet, Viorele, Volnea …show all brand names

Endometriosis

Birth Control
5.6

Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.6 827 reviews

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switched from Junel to Apri because of breakthrough bleeding. While that has been fixed, Apri has some pretty serious negative side effects for me. My mood is completely unstable and swings terribly and my anxiety is uncontrollable. Sex drive is basically non existent. Other than that, no weight gain, acne, lighter periods and less painful cramping (my cramps were unbearable before)"

Kati (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Apri for a few years and generally have no concerns at all. Periods are managed perfectly - last 4 days and are always the same. The only downside is that I have more anxiety with this pill, and doesn’t control my acne very well. I am switching soon just to see if those symptoms will improve — but if they don’t, I’m definitely going back to Apri."

mplsgal (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My last BC caused me to have acne and while it did prevent pregnancy it made me extremely moody. I switched to cyred and for the first 2 weeks I was a little bloated but nothing major and it cleared my skin! I only get a random small zit or two around my period and occasional breast soreness but it definitely does the job and it prevents pregnancy! It hasn’t made me gain any incredible amounts of weight or made me irritable or moody so I won’t be switching anytime soon!"

Mandy December 8, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Hello all, So I have been diagnosed with PCOS and Endo and also have high testosterone and diabetes. I started taking this after being off BC for about three years. I recently finished the first month. Missed a couple days and got back on. The bleeding has been torrential. I have also been stressed and anxiety ridden but I am pretty sure that's my job. The odd part? Clot city but my skin is smooth and clear and my sex drive is through the roof. But nothing can happen because there's too much blood to have sex. I am currently nauseous now. Trying to get that sorted. But yeah. Really just want to stop bleeding. That's why I took this - I was bleeding for a good 6 months lightly but now I feel like my body is trying to empty itself. Will update but for now I'd like to go to sleep without worrying about my sheets."

C (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking this birth control and almost immediately my skin started to break out and it make my breast extremely sensitive, after 3 months my skin went back to normal and my breast increased from a size C to a DD. My periods were days shorter and much lighter with little cramping. Although it completely destroyed my sex drive and I got extreme depression and anxiety from it. I had never had anxiety before and now it is so bad I have anxiety attacks regularly. It also caused a severe skin rash, perioral and dermatitis all over my entire body."

A (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was put on this birth control after I was on Tri-Previfem for a couple years. After taking a lower dose BC, my periods started to be irregular so they put me on a higher dose (Apri/desogen) to regulate my periods. SO, now about Apri... It did in fact make my periods regular. As far as everything else....AWFUL. I have anxiety, definitely get depressed for no reason. Mood swings every week for no reason like CRAZY. Zero sex drive. Doesn’t do anything for acne, it makes it worse in my opinion. I always break out when I’m taking it. It made me gain a lot of weight in the beginning and messed with my moods. During my cycle I have a terrible crampy ovulation-like symptoms, I have awful periods cramps and terrible mood swings, pimples, it’s just terrible. Periods are long. I’ve never been worried about pregnancy because this stuff is so strong I missed multiple days and never got pregnant when I probably should have. But other than that, this birth control is TERRIBLE."

Margaret December 2, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I do not recommend this birth control to anybody I experienced anxiety, depression I couldn’t control my eagerness had bad mood swings ever since I started taking these pills. I had abdominal pain, weight gain, increased appetite hungry all the time crave weird things etc. Do not take it!"

Deya (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been using this medicine for two months. So far, My sex drive has decreased. I’m also more irritable and I have more cramps. I don’t know if I have gained weight or not. My doctor prescribed this for my PCOS and as birth control."

Alan29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I DO NOT recommend thus birth control to any woman. I’ve only been taking this brand for a few weeks now and within the first week I was experiencing migraines like never before. I would be writhing in pain because my stomach hurt so bad and always felt like I needed to go to the bathroom. I was dizzy all the time just walking and my eyes were sensitive to light. Upon waking I would be extremely confused and even stutter upon speaking and my hand eye coordination was off. I’ve never in my life had such an awful experience with birth control."

Ris (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

Isibloom (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking Cyred a year ago for acne, then it got switched to Isibloom by my pharmacist and I did not notice any change in symptoms on isibloom. I had very bad acne for 10 years and this COMPLETELY cleared my skin. However, my breasts are so tender, I have cramping throughout the month (sometimes it’s continuous and sometimes it will be a random moment of intense cramping and then it will stop) and spotting can sometimes occur for weeks at a time which is extremely frustrating. I also have noticed that I am not interested in sex AT ALL. Not even interested in kissing my partner. For these reasons, I am switching to a different birth control, but if that has the same side effects I will return to using this one because the clear skin ultimately outweighs the negative side effects for me."

Jami (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this prescription for a month. It is my first birth control. My period came anyway at its normal time and doesn't seem to be slowing down a week later. I feel an increased sex drive and I've been very moody (crying at nothing, getting unreasonably angry). Before my period came I felt extremely nauseous like I've never felt outside a hangover. It was awful. It's gone now but if that happens again I will stop taking it. My skin never broke out like it normally does before the period. One more thing: some of this could be attributed to me not taking them at the same exact time every day. I would do it within a 1 or 2 hour window."

Newbie (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

For Birth Control: "I turn 30 tomorrow. Apri was the first birth control I have ever taken. I started at 16 and took in until I was 28, had a child, got an IUD, then decided to go on the pill instead. My doctor prescribed me Juleber which is supposed to be equivalent. Dear God, help me. I started 7 days ago. The last three days I’ve been extremely nauseous, throwing up, orange urine, occasional weird tingling in legs. All sorts of messed up. Today I didn’t take it. Slight nausea still there especially after I eat and urine is still orange, but I didn’t sleep all day, I didn’t puke, and I think I may get to enjoy my 30th birthday now. Birth control works different for everyone. It didn’t work for me. If your journey sounds similar to mine, maybe avoid this one."

Elle November 25, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control since September, and I haven't noticed too many side effects. I would get maybe a couple zits a month before I started this, and it's about the same now, if a little better. I haven't gotten any increases in appetite, or decreases in libido. One alarming (and EXPENSIVE) side effect I've noticed is that I've been hardcore spotting for the past almost 4 weeks. If it doesn't stop soon, I'll have to go in and switch to something else."

Allison (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Been on this birth control for about a year and a half and never really had any notable side effects until about 4 months ago when I started to notice something was different. My acne came back and was worse than it was before I even started the medication, I’m always stressed and have the worst anxiety, constant migraines, mood swings, complete loss of sex drive, depression, bloating and cramping, loss of motivation, you name it I’ve gotten it as a side effect. More recently (these past couple of weeks) I’ve been constantly nauseous and have been throwing up almost non stop. It’s been so bad I’ve had to call out of work. I do not recommend this birth control. DON'T TAKE THIS."

colorado13 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I liked all of the physical side effects for the most part. Skipping the placebos as directed by my doctor allowed me to skip my period completely and I’ve never had any spotting. I also haven’t gotten pregnant which is great. I had zero weight gain (My boobs did go from a B cup to a D cup over the course of like, 2 months), and I haven’t gotten a single zit since. With all that being said I’ve been experiencing some pretty severe emotional side effects that have led me to seek other options. Ever since starting Apri I’ve felt like a different person, and the severe depression that came along with it is taking a serious toll on my life. I also have had virtually zero sex drive which is horrible. I am currently looking for alternatives."

Crys (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2018

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Kariva for a year now. I have a heart arrythmia that is aggravated my fluctuating hormones. It has always been more of an issue right before my period due to hormone changes, and is a PMS symptom for me. I see a cardiologist that has me on medication to control my arrhythmia on a daily basis. If my hormones are out of wack, my heart medicine can’t completely control the heart palpitations. I was having hormone related issues so my gyno put me on Kariva to help with everything. However throughout the month, I have breakthrough bleeding, bloating, mild cramps...right before this my heart arrhythmia goes crazy. I don’t feel like the Kariva is regulating my hormones properly. I do take the Kariva at the same time every day and never miss a dose. I have also developed extreme anxiety which only started after taking this BC. It also kills your sex drive. I will be asking for an alternative when I see my doctor next month. I have taken other BCs in the past with no issues."

Aykay November 12, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Was switched to another bc pill from this one and started breaking out like crazy. Switched back and after three weeks my skin is fully clear again. I have hormonal acne (so my needs might be different) I feel good, am so happy about my skin, sleep great, not noticing any weight gain, in fact I think I’ve lost 7 lbs (but that’s due to diet and exercise I’m sure, but no gain.) Was very surprised at the mixed reviews so I thought I’d throw in my two cents. :) Acne free!! Face, neck, and back all cleared. (Also put tea tree on the back bc it’s stubborn, but I think the hormonal shift really has kept new ones from forming thank god.)"

Elizabeth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I only took this birth control pill for 2 months. I didn't feel depression, moodiness, no bloating. It also did not affect my sex drive which was great. The reason I stopped taking Apri was because it made me ridiculously hungry. I'm very in tune with my appetite. I've lost over 50 lbs on my own, prior to Apri. But once I got on this pill my appetite increased immediately. Like through the roof! Also, it gave me a lot of acne and I've never had acne in my life. The first week I was on it, I broke out with 5 cystic pimples. The second week 4 more came out. By the end of the month I had had a total of 13 pimples. As a person who's never had an acne problem, breaking out like that was unacceptable for me. April gave me painful headaches nearly every day too. Once I stopped taking it, no more breakouts or headaches and my appetite is back to normal."

Aliana94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2018

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Started on the Depo Shot when I was 14. Although not having periods were nice, I still had every symptom of periods but without bleeding (headaches, cramping, mood swings, increased appetite, etc.). So 6 months later I got switched to Kariva, costing me approximately $50 a month, w/o insurance. I can’t say I’ve had any “major experiences” with Kariva. I started birth control with the intention of lighter periods which have gone from heavier 2 week long periods to a medium flow 3-4 days. I still have a few symptoms but I can’t 100% say it’s due to Kariva since I’ve been on it so long, such as moderate cramping, weight gain (due to large appetite) and occasional moodiness, but definitely nothing that I would say is ‘out of the ordinary’. As of the pregnancy preventative aspect, I’ve had sex occasionally throughout my time on Kariva but haven’t gotten pregnant even due to occasionally forgetting 2-3 pills a month. Overall, I would recommend Kariva."

KarivaUser1099 October 23, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was having extremely heavy, painful periods about 2-3 weeks apart, so my doctor decided we should try a pill. I had stopped bleeding and on day 3 of Viorele, I started bleeding again and I’ve bled through the entire pack! I have had cramps, migraines, low sex drive, and I’m extremely irritable. This is not normal for me! I do not recommend this one!"

Notimpressed October 21, 2018

For Birth Control: "This happened to be my first BC ever. It was a bit hard at first, getting used to it. The first month or so I would get really nauseous and I puked in my mouth once. I was extremely moody and my boyfriend wasn’t too happy about that. And my breasts were just mildly sore. I understand that it takes a little bit to get the pill used to your system but after that month phase, things got a lot better. My acne got better and all the bad symptoms were gone. And everything was normal. Short period, no spotting, and not pregnant thankfully. I’m about to finish my third month but I decided to get a new brand bc my vagina developed an odor and a lot different due to the pills and it was making sexual intercourse not as fun. That is the only symptom I had in the end."

Rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Kimidess for 2 years and it was great. When I moved and got new insurance, for whatever reason I kept getting Kariva and not Kimidess from my pharmacy. It has been awful for me. After little to no sex drive, hormonal acne and Perioral dermatitis appearing, I stopped taking the pill and am now hoping to go back to Kimidess. While all BCP work differently for different bodies, this one certainly did not work for me. Super disappointed I was even given this when my doctor never prescribed it! Ladies, be careful about generic BCPs. I personally do NOT trust them now."

Alice (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "WORST BIRTH CONTROL EVER!!!! Takes away your sex drive COMPLETELY and even when you stop taking it, sex drive is still off. I read a review about a girl who had this symptom for years after stopping. I HOPE that isn’t my case. It’s been 4 months since I've stopped taking this and STILL dealing with it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!! If it were up to me, Cyred wouldn’t even be sold anymore."

T (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Going into my inactive pills of my first pack. Although this is only my first pack, it has been the pits. Very nauseous, but no vomiting. Bloated, more depressed, very irritable, overthink everything more than usual, almost no sex drive, horrible cramps, almost no appetite, lost all motivation for things, got bad chest pains, indigestion, heartburn.. you literally name it. I’m trying to give this pill a chance, but so far, it doesn’t seem worth it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I’m 23 years old. I’ve switched from Viorele to Kariva because my pharmacy decided to switch it and I just ended up taking it. I definitely do feel a bit more emotional than usual, but I don’t know if it’s casually linked to the Kariva. I realized a small rash of white pimples next to my mouth - which I’m hoping is not a side effect and is nothing serious. I’ve only been on this new pack for a week now, but I don’t really have any complaints. I liked my previous bc Viorele, and they have the same exact active ingredients... so far I’m ok with the switch."

Jjsadi (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...