User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis 3 reviews 106 medications

Birth Control 664 reviews 300 medications

5.8
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 687 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switched to Viorele from Azurette about 3-4 months ago. Azurette was amazing. Light periods, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, no weight gain and did not mess with my Libido what so ever . It worked with my body perfectly. Since I've been put on Viorele, I've had the WORST mood swings, and bad depression. My boyfriend has even noticed that I never want to do anything anymore and am on the verge of crying/ having anger episodes. I have not been myself since I've been on Viorelle. I was on my period for literally the first 2 months of taking it. I also have had NO sex drive. Which is also affecting my relationship. I know different medications effect differently to each person, but I wanted to share mine with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took reclipsen for around 10 years with no issues. My doctor said I could ride this out until age 50 as I didn't have any risk factors (except age as I was over 40). Out of the blue, I got a groin to knee DVT and the cause was this stupid pill!!!! I am so very lucky it didn't become a PE and I could have suffered a horrible disability or worse. 7 months later and I still have long term effects from the DVT and the damage to my leg caused by it. When I asked by doctor if they would be reporting as an adverse reaction to the FDA, she said "oh, they already know." which tells me, the side effects (especially the serious ones) are under-reported!!!!! Find another method of BC!!!! This isn't worth it!"

REGRETIT October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I switched to Kariva from Apri. I have been on Apri for 6 month, and I have noticed that my hair started to fall out. However, it might be connected to other reasons, my hair is usually sensitive to stress, and I had particularly bad times 3-6 months ago. Anyways, I switched because of this and water retention I have been experiencing. It definitely helped! I have lost approximately 5 pounds in first 2 weeks with Kariva, and I do not loose my hair anymore. However, I have noticed PMS with the first pack of Kariva. I had it all the time before I started BC, it stopped with Apri, and now it seems to be back again."

qq33452 October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Do NOT take this medication. I am 22 years old and have been on the pill since 16. I was having intense menstrual bleeding so my doctor prescribed me a higher dose and ended up giving me this brand. It did not help my cramps what so ever and it made me very emotional. I lost all of my sex drive and became very dry down there. The most scary part is yet to come... A month and a half into it I became EXTREMELY dizzy and light headed. I decided to finish up the month then get off of it. However 2 weeks off of it and I am still extremely dizzy and lightheaded. I have gotten every blood test and nothing comes up. I have seen that several other women experienced pulmonary embolism in the lungs and will be getting this checked out. DO NOT USE!"

SophiaLore October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took reclipsen for about 5 years. For the last year I was spotting everyday. My doctor thought it was possibly a uterine polyp but once she did a hysteroscopy (put a camera in my uterus) she discovered that my uterine lining had become dangerous thin due to the pill. I immediately stopped taking it. I used to be blotted everyday, but since I stopped the pill my stomach is flat and I dropped 10 pounds almost instantly. My boobs did shrink once I stopped but it was a fair trade for the weight loss. The worst part about all this is the 3 months after I stopped the reclipsen I've been experiencing insane hair loss. Every time I brush or wash my hair it comes out in wads. I can now see my scalp through my bangs. I would never recommend reclipse"

Christyincolorado (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My doctor put me on this BC 3 months postpartum and I've decided to stop taking after being on it for two months. I've bled the entire time being on this pill, mood swings, dark thoughts, very emotional, nauseated all the time, the bloating is so uncomfortable (prior to starting this pill I had my waist back and almost a flat stomach but now I look like I'm a few months pregnant again!) I have no drive, low energy (I'm sure from bleeding for 2 months), I just want to eat all the time, I've gained weight, overall this BC didn't mesh very well with my body. I'll be going back to taking Enskyce again, which I took for 3years with no issues."

Sally430 September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Apri for almost 5 years. I was originally put on it for acne but it's also been very effective as birth control too. My partner and I don't use any other form of birth control unless I'm on conflicting meds. My periods are regular and predictable, usually 3-4 days. I've gained weight, but I don't think Apri was the cause. Overall, Apri works well for me and have had no issues with it."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm 22 and weigh 110 lbs. my dosage for juleber was 0.15. I didn't ever get pregnant on juleber or get acne or weight gain. The only negative thing that happened was I was extremely moody. The week before my period I was extremely emotional and during my period I was also really emotional. Other than that it was a good bc"

Jay jayakshsjs September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm on my second month of Apri, and honestly haven't experienced any side effects. My biggest concern was the whole blood clot issue, but my doctor says I'm low risk and healthy, so I need not worry. Only down fall, is you will be moody. Since I read reviews before hand, I'm in total control of my mood swings since I know its the birth control making me agitated. Weight gain? None. Boobs? Sometimes they're really tender and heavy feeling. Once I get in the sugar pull week those feelings subside. Overall, Apri has been good to me."

Miss Bee (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "I have been on this medication for about 1.5 weeks. So far I have had only bloating and some dizziness. Hoping the bloating will go away soon. I have noticed however that my appetite has decreased while on this medication. No weight gain except for some water weight."

Apri User September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on April for almost a year now. It works great protecting against pregnancy and keeping my periods regular, which they don't happen exactly on the sugar pill day, but every time on Wednesday. But the down side to these pills is how big of a mental and emotional toll it takes on me. It gives me crazy amounts of anxiety, I've had anxiety a couple times in my life but it's an everyday thing now. It makes me feel like I've changed as a person. And makes me very depressed and have deep dark thoughts on life. I've always been an outgoing go getter type of person, but all I wanna do now is sleep and ignore my anxiety. I don't know if I should change it or stay on it and see if it goes away. But it's been happening for almost a year now."

Anonymous September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Pro: I recommend Azurette. I started on birth control after I would get nauseous for two weeks out of every the month. That has been fixed. I've been on other birth controls and say this birth control worked best for me. I've been on it one year. I haven't had headaches. My sex drive has been great. I haven't lost or gained weight. Con: Occasionally sex will be uncomfortable. Its not bad enough to switch, because I've had too many problems with other meds."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Took viorele for 2 months and I had to stop. Started taking the pill when my period started and my period went on for 4 weeks (medium bleeding). I also got nauseous after taking the first pack. Nausea and long bleedings stopped with the second pack. However, with the second pack I was very moody, I had this uncontrollable anger and being so angry made me cry so much. Planning to switch to a lower dose pill. Being off the pill for 2 weeks, I can feel the difference. Even my boyfriend notices. I feel like I am no longer angry and moody all the time."

First time user (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking this pill about a year ago and it's been complete hell since I started. The first week and half, I'm unbearable nauseous and hardly have an appetite. At first I thought these symptoms would subside, but they never did. The next week and half, I'm cursed with almost extreme PMS symptoms. Ridiculous bloating, awful acne, breast pain; you name it. My periods last an entire week and I get debilitating cramps, so bad to where they make me sick the first few days. I tried to wait it out the year but it's only gotten worse. This birth control has given me the worst anxiety, migraines, heart palpitations, and I'm dizzy constantly. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, not even my worst enemies. Please be cautious when using this."

mikaelaaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on this meds due to my body not having the hormones to stop my period. Now I'm back on it after I quit it to have children. No other birth control is as good. Bad side effects, facial hair and my periods are heavy. Good side, not pregnant, mood is better, less menstrual cramps then on other pills."

Psychosinger2285 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on viorele for the past year and a half. At first, it was great! It got rid of my cramps, it regulated my period, and it worked in respects to preventing pregnancy, but for the past 6 months, I experienced a severe decrease in my libido, almost it was nonexistent. When I did want to have sex, I experienced severe pain, which I didn't experience prior. I was agitated and my anxiety and depression were worse. I'm now looking for a different birth control."

sadperson (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Pharmacy switched my pill from Azurette to Viorele and that was a big mistake! I was very emotional and depressed with severe anxiety. My appetite was low. I felt like crying everyday. Never again!"

noey7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I switched from orsynthia to kariva due to painful sex. I was cautious to try it seeing all the bad reviews but I'm glad I read them considering I had many of the same problems. First of all, your period SHOULD come during the first two days of the placebo week, that didn't happen. I got my period at the very end of the week each time with bad cramps. Flow wasn't terrible still kind of heavy for birth control though. I also didn't like was how many headaches I would get; at least 3-4 a week. I would also feel very foggy and tired all the time. My appetite has definitely changed on this also, I would constantly want to eat all the junk food I could find. Didn't gain much weight but still. Boobs also got bigger. I'm changing back to orsynthia!"

Jilliayy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I absolutely hate this birth control. Before I switched to this I had been on Tri Linyah (Ortho tri cyclen) for 5 years and it was great! However I wanted to switch to a new pill because I felt breast tenderness more often and I wanted the ability to be able to skip my period (my old pill had different dosages each week which made this difficult). I went on Cyred and my skin has been awful from the beginning (like so bad), my boobs are still very sore, and I experience nausea constantly. I'm currently just stopping this pill even though I haven't been a day without BC since I was 15. I am abroad right now and I am tired of what this pill is doing to me.. can't wait to visit a doctor back home to get my old pill back or start IUD"

Mao1778 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Cramps & fatigue were my major issues with this pill. I switched from Orsythia to this after having some breakthrough bleeding on the other pill. I've been taking it for a year and have decided to switch to something else because of the cramping I got even when not on my period. I always felt like I had my period. Had several yeast infections and always felt kind of itchy. It did do a good job of stopping my period because I would take it for 3 months straight with no breakthrough bleeding then have a break. But I'd rather get my period every month than cramp all the time.. my skin did look amazing on this and no weight gain either. Also prevented pregnancy."

katchee August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on this pill for about 9 months now. I have combination skin and I am prone to acne. I had cleared up and then broke out very badly within the first 3 months until my body got used to it. I now only get a few breakouts a week or so before my period, but they are all cystic acne along my jaw line. I have absolutely no sex drive on this medication, I am constantly always dry now, and my emotions are out of control. I never understood girls when they said they got emotional on their periods, except when I was on this birth control pills. It was bad, like very bad. Like severe fighting with my boyfriend because I would get so heavily emotional and explode. I will be switching birth controls yet again very soon"

Ktslr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took Viorele for a single month. I have experienced the worst acne I've had in YEARS, my depression has gotten significantly worse, my blood pressure (which is usually spot on perfect) is frequently high, and my mood swings are horrible."

HeatherP19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "When I first switched my birth control from the generic version of Ortho tri-cyclen lo to Kariva, it was an attempt to regulate my ph balance. Although the switch made no difference in that area, I noticed a significant change in my mood. In a GOOD way! I had been taking the other birth control for so long, I thought it was just me that had crazy mood swings every month. Once I switched, the moods were gone. My mind was blown. I have also noticed a decrease in acne which is always a plus. They've also just changed the bubble pack to release the pills more easily. I recommend."

Misskd88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am a 42 yr old woman. I had my tubes tied at the age of 30 after having my 3rd and last child. Around the age of 36, my periods became irregular. I was having periods sometimes only 12 days apart. Not spotting, full periods. I have been anemic my whole life so that didn't help. I had my hormones checked and was given an ultrasound to see if I had fibroids. Nope! Hormone levels normal as well. My obgyn pushed for me to get the IUD. I got it June 2. Had to have it removed Aug 6!!! Worst decision, besides my ex-husband, that I've ever made! I had bad migraines, bleeding for 2 weeks at a time. I went to my new pcp, I was prescribed cyred bc pills and told to take an 800mg ibuprofen. I feel soooo much better, just in a week!"

Anonymous August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have taken Kariva for about 6 months and my boobs have gone from an A cup to a D cup, which is alarming. I have pregnancy like symptoms very often, but I'm not pregnant. Overall this birth control made me extremely moody and gain crazy weight."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017