User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Simliya, Solia, Velivet, Viorele, Volnea …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 270 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have had a terrible time with birth controls, and this one was no different, except maybe the side effects were more extreme. Not only have I gained 10-20 pounds, but I have been extremely depressed and have had horrible nightmares. It took me a while to figure out that it was my bc, and I stopped immediately. My period was pretty regular and I did not get pregnant, but the mood swings, depression, nightmares and anxiety are unbearable. absolutely do not recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Initial first couple months weren't pleasant - it worsened my anxiety, I completely lost my sex drive, and I was breaking out like crazy. Being at college out of state I didn't have time to switch so I stayed on it. I've been on it a full 3 months now and all my symptoms disappeared. I guess it just took that long for my body to get used to it because now my anxiety is back to normal, my sex drive is back, and my skin is clear. This medication must just take time."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I want to share a positive experience on Viorele. I've had a really difficult time finding a birth control that works for me. On other pills, I spot if I take my pill even hours late. I've had full week long heavy periods on other pills. With the arm implant, I spotted for two months straight. With Viorele, I have some cramping right before my period, but just one day and advil helps. And then my period is three days long and so light! I missed a pill just last week and no spotting which is huge for me. It's all about finding what works for you so i wanted to share my success story on it."

kathmac123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Switched from Enksyce to Apri after a manufacturer change. I liked Enksyce, it did it’s job without affecting my body or hormones. I don’t like Apri. My libido is way down, I am more emotional, and my period this month is 10 days early. I have an appointment with my doctor and will be telling them to take me off of Apri."

M91 February 6, 2018

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This stuff is not great. I only was on it for 6 months just because I could not handle the side effects. It made my skin EXTREMELY dry, and I had nice skin, my skin has never been a concern until I started this pill. Also, it made my cramping terrible and made my period extremely heavy, but my period did regulate so I guess overall it did what it was supposed to do. But I did end up changing pills"

alexisxb (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Moody, DEPRESSION, lethargic, WEIGHT GAIN, and overall more emotional. Lost my sex drive completely and my depression has taken over my life. It’s awful and I wouldn’t recommend this to my worst enemy. TAKE ANYTHING ELSE. I have been on 7 different types of birth control and this has been the second to worst, the worst being the depo provera shot. I am getting off of it as quick as I can right now. The only good things about this medication is that it decreased my cramping and cleared up my face in the beginning. Please don’t take this. I felt awful for so long because I was recommended to “wait it out” for 3 months to “get used to it”. I WAS ON IT FOR A YEAR AND A HALF AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Don’t do it!"

Oceancandy24 February 1, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Reclipsen for 5 years when suddenly walgreens stopped offering this prescription. They switched me to Apri. Tried it for a month and had severe dizzy spells and even fainted."

Angela-donottryapri January 30, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this birth control for two months now. At first it was crazy. Constant mood swings. Bad acne. I was not having it. I don’t mind Cyred right now because it’s not like other birth control I’ve taken where I’m constantly hungry all the time and gaining weight. But I don’t like how I still get acne as if I wasn’t on it, even with my skin care routine that I’ve have for months and I’ve never had a problem with. I don’t like how I PMS way worse than ever before and honestly I don’t like how my breasts got bigger, it honestly made me worry and now my bras don’t fit. This isn’t a birth control I would suggest, I’m only on it because I can get it through planned parenthood and I cant afford anything else right now."

ZBSK (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Apri gave me a blood clot after only a few months. I had no risk factors. Was 28. Find a different pill and beware of blood clots!"

E57r7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was switched from Nikki to this birth control because my insurance didn't cover Nikki. I mainly got on BCP to control hormonal acne. I'm 30 and was still getting back breakouts consistent with my menstrual cycle. Juleber has made my skin clear! I've been on it for only 2 months. My skin is a lot drier now (normally oily). I barely have acne now! I did not experience weight gain or any other side effects."

karennerak (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Haven’t gotten pregnant on this and my period is pretty light. It lasts about 5 days. My face is also pretty clear, except for random chin breakouts. However, I am SO moody/sporatically depressed, have gained 15 lbs, and have a severely decreased sex drive. I kept thinking something was wrong with me because I’ve always been very easy-going/positive but I’m beginning to think it’s this pill. Beware!"

Super Suspicious (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking this BC for 2 months. Horrible mood swings and depression since week 1. Definitely looking for a new BC."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "When I first started taking Apri which was a year ago I found that it changed my mood a lot making me depressed, anxious and angry all the time for no reason. Also have been having lots of cravings. But on the good side, I feel like I can trust this brand of birth control a lot to keep me from being pregnant. Also, not many side effects no headaches or nausea. I’ve now been taking it for almost a year now and my body has been getting use to it a lot."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "In the way of regulating periods - it did well. I started the sugar pills on a Monday and would start my period by Friday. With other prior birth control pills, I was used to starting within a day or two of my first sugar pill, so that was odd, but at least Apri was consistent. The worst part, and I mean THE WORST PART, was the sadness that came with it. It got to a point where something would trigger me crying literally every day more than once a day. I'm a very happy and bubbly person so this was an obvious side effect. Finally I put two and two together. When I stopped taking it, I returned to my normal self within a few days. You think you can control your emotions - but this just completely overrides it!"

Former Apri user January 10, 2018

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I only have 3 weeks on this pill and I’ve noticed a change in my body. I gained like 7 lbs. and my pants fit so tight. I’m a very active person and go to the gym on a regular basis so I know it’s not because of my diet or exercise routine. I eat pretty healthy, I give in cravings here and there but I know it wouldn’t be to the point of gaining so much weight. I’ve also felt so sleepy, cold temperature wise, and unmotivated. I took naps after work which I don’t normally nap. I keep feeling weird tingling sensations on my arm and sometimes leg. I don’t have the same energy as I did. My sex drive is not as high. I’ll still have intercourse but won’t get so turned on"

Kenri (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "The first couple of weeks definitely took some getting use too. My stomach was upset especially before getting my period and I would feel super bloated way before my period was due. I’m almost 4 months in and the upset stomach and bloating has stopped except during actual periods. Other than that I really like it."

Simplychav December 30, 2017

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took Viorele for approximately 2 years. It worked great for clearing up my cystic acne and it did it’s job in preventing pregnancy; however, I’ve noticed the following for the past 2 years: -NO desire to be intimate/NO sex drive. This has hurt my relationship as I now have sex with my fiancé only once a month, if that! -UNRULY CRAVINGS which led to 25 lb. weight gain. Currently medically diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder -moody, irritable, and short tempered demeanor -increase in anxiety and depression The only reason I continued to take Viorele was because it was completely free with my insurance but it’s clearly not worth it. In my opinion, you should definitely consider another BC pill/method!"

NicoleVirgo (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on this birth control for 4 months and LOVED it. I’ve been through quite a few pills. It cleared my skin completely (I am prone to acne) and made my periods lighter and PMS was so better easier with fewer mood swings that were not even half as bad as they were before I started taking Viorele. I also went up two full cup sizes which was wonderful for me. Then all of a sudden, I started getting unbelievably painful pounding headaches. I was walking around work squeezing my head (since OTC pain meds didn’t help) and saying something is wrong with me. I was so scared. However, the only new change I had made in my life was this pill. So I stopped it. After about 10 more days of horrible debilitating headaches, they finally stopped."

TryingToBeHappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Apri has been my first and only birth control experience; it has been pretty fine, but I'm considering switching to see if there's anything that works for me better. Pros- ~Little to no acne! (better than before I was on it) ~Light periods of 4 days during the sugar pill wk (prior to the pill they used to be 6-7) ~My boobs inflated a lil, went up a cup size ~ No weight gain! (managed to lose 10 lbs- that was through diet & exercise tho) ~ Minimal cramping Cons- ~3-4 really heavy days of bleeding during the 2nd week regularly. Maybe it's just a me problem idk. ~ Have been super depressed, anxious, and moody but who knows if pill is the cause or my life in general ~ Sex drive dropped a ton ~ Blood pressure rose ~ Slight nausea during period"

decentlydecent (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This pill has worked pretty good for me, I’m 18 and I’ve had problems with my periods being very painful until I got on this pill. My period has shortened to 3-4 days and comes every 28 days. The one downside about this pill is it made my very moody and depressed for awhile when I first stared it"

clauds1142 December 10, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I had been on this pill in my 20s and did fine but restarted in my 30s and have had a totally negative experience. I felt nauseous the first few days. My breasts are so sore and painful. I have two emotions either very angry or crying. I have 0 sex drive and I had spotting and acne. I'm also very bloated. I’m basically trying to finish this month and stop this pill so not to mess with my my period schedule. I got on it to try and stop mid cycle spotting I was having and it made it worse (though I know to be fair you need to give a pill 3 months) I was way better off off of it. Every day on it has been a challenge."

everyusernameistaken (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was switched from Azurette to Viorele by my pharmacy. Took Viorele for almost 3 months because I got 3 packs at a time. It gave me frequent headaches that I didn't experience on the azurette even though they are supposed to be the same. The biggest issue is I thought I had a UTI because it made me have to pee ALL the time. I had no other changes in my life except the pill so after going to the doctor and getting checked for UTI and it being negative I have switched back. My boobs were always sore but it made them look bigger so I didn't mind too much. If you have already big boobs though this might be a problem. Skin looks great on both pills. Period is light but cramps can be horrible sometimes."

aryah December 6, 2017

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on Reclipsen for at least a year. My periods were always set and wouldn't last a full week, they'd generally last around 3 days with moderate bleeding. I never got any acne really, I would maybe get one pimple a month closer to when I was about to start my period. My mood seemed fine. I never had any spotting. Now that I think about it I did have a lower sex drive. Overall, I would recommend Reclipsen! I recently switched birth control through no choice of my own but I'm seriously debating on going back to Reclipsen."

TISHAAAAAAAA December 4, 2017

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been on April for about a year. My sex drive went down horribly low in the past 12 months to the point where it became a problem. Acne is moderate, though a bit worse as it used to be on my previous pill, but definitely better than what I would have without any pill. My weight fluctuated a lot in the past 12 months both ways, but I wouldn't say it's pills' fault. Periods are regular and painless."

Jen86_11 December 3, 2017

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Nonstop spotting for 6 weeks. Weight gain, bloated. I can’t wait to switch back to Juleber. My only side effect with Juleber was bigger boobs."

Foxsky December 2, 2017