User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "It works but definetily makes you feel like youre pregnant."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Kariva definitely had its ups and downs for me, but the downs were so horrible I had to go off. Pros: I never got pregnant. I stopped getting cystic acne on my chin and my skin was way clearer than it had ever been before (other birth control had been ineffective in doing this). My sex drive was not decreased at all. Cons: My boobs went from a C to spilling out of a DD and tender. I gained 10 lbs and NONE of my clothes fit anymore. My feet and ankles got so swollen that some of my shoes stopped fitting. For the first three months I spotted like crazy. After that, my periods were regular and not too bad of flow, but other birth controls had made me have a 2 day "barely there" period or not get a period at all which was way better."

Stacy S. July 18, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched from Lo Loestrin Fe to Apri because I was getting married and wanted to ensure I was having a monthly period (no pregnancy scares for me, thanks). I didn't experience many side effects at first, but with my first period on the new pill came painful cramping and heavy bleeding. Mind you, I hadn't had a real period in about a year thanks to Lo Lo Fe, but that sort of pain was why I started birth control in the first place. I've been on it about four months now and have seen a significant decrease in my sex drive, which, hello, sucks (newlywed, remember?). I've also seen mood swings and nausea the last couple months as my body has been adjusting, and I'm just not about that life. Switching as soon as I can."

get me off this pill already July 16, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am just now finishing out my first month on this BC and it's seeming to work very well. I have gained weight in all the right places and haven't had any horrible side effects. With that being said, I have been bleeding since I started taking the pill. I'm hoping that after I take the placebos and start the next pack that the problem will fix itself. I have also been emotional, but nothing that I can't handle. I would most likely recommend this to a friend."

aubsslt (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My libido was non existent even after taking it for more than 3 months. It also made me gain 10 pounds but that wasn't a huge problem for me. The only thing that sucks about this pill is the noticeable decrease in sex drive, other than that it's fine."

sarahiiiiii July 14, 2016

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I hate this birth control. I have gained excess weight, which never happened to me on any other b.c., and my PMDD is worse. My doc gave it to me bc I get severe headaches the week before, of, and after my period. So basically 3 of 4 wks in a month. And I was having horrible mood swings. Extreme PMS...as I said PMDD. This was supposed to help bc of lower levels and regulating hormones. Other than less severe headaches nothing has been lessened and I have gained 20lbs that won't go away. I am quitting this pill today."

B.C.M (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I only give it a few points because I was put on it to regulate periods which it has done. But this BC has made my cramps severe to the point of near vomitting. My emotions drastically switch in an instant. I haven't been able to sleep much since being on it."

InsertNickname July 7, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking Reclipsen for a year. I switched to Reclipsen because my other birth control was giving me spotting during the month. Reclipsen helped that but now I have no sex drive at all which is really annoying. I get at least one horrific migraine before I start my period and I'm super emotional. I thought all these things were just me but after reading the other reviews I realize that it might be my BC. I never realized it could have these side effects. I'm going to try to switch to another type at my next appt with my OBGYN."

Anon00000 July 7, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking it for over a year now (going on 2). I've really had no adverse side effects. I used to get hormonal acne the week before my period on my chin, and once I took the pills I stopped breaking out. I didn't gain weight. It also helped extremely for my mood swings that I used to get before my period. I would randomly get upset and the pill has really helped me control my emotions better. They only thing is you have to be consistent and not skip any days. As soon as I skipped a day, I noticed some side effects (ex. minor breakouts). Overall I really love it. Not everyone's body reacts the same."

StrawberryTea (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started the pill 3 weeks ago I'm about to begin the 4th week tomorrow, I've experienced breast tenderness since the first pill I've taken and it's been inconsistent and hasn't stopped yet, normally I'd just have breast soreness the week of my period then it would stop but when I took the pill it hasn't stopped, i did get acne the first week but it cleared up, I have noticed some mood swing change as i got closer to the 2 green pills, but I normally pms the week before my period, it seems as tho my patience is a lot thinner now though then it was before, I'm nervous for the yellow pills because my periods weren't ever bad before and I'm afraid there gonna be longer or something but i hope not. Overall i like the pill and would recommend it"

Paitent (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

Emoquette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "When I first started this I got so sick but I realized you have to eat before taking this, do not take on empty stomach! My acne did somewhat get better, I would definitely recommend this to underweight people it added a few pounds on me! No emotional problems, period lasts anywhere from 3-7 days, cramps aren't as bad, good sex drive!"

alli03 June 21, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Reclipsen for 3 weeks, I have been experiencing severe depression, anxiety and mood swings. My sex drive is very low, and I cry uncontrollably and for no reason. I was on Apri prior to this and it worked well and made me very even-keel. I will be switching back my next doctor's visit."

Cleartovenus1 June 21, 2016

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this pill for 2 months. I don't have cramps anymore. Thank goodness! My appetite is smaller. Breasts have stayed the same size and thats fine by me. My period is now 6-7 days (used to be 3-4 days when I wasn't on birth control). No babies though. I do notice that I get more headaches. Im not sure if its from the pill because I've been more active and the sun in FL is strong."

Bumblebee19 June 19, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Apri for 7 months. This is my first time ever using bc, so I don't have much to compare it to, but i'm incredibly happy with it. My skin was gradually getting worse and worse with each year, and I can't tell you the last time i've had more than 1 tiny blemish at a time. My skin is amazing! My doctor did warn me about the initial side effects, and they were pretty bad honestly (highly emotional, weight gain about 10 lbs), but after I gave it 3 months something clicked and I stopped being emotional and I have lost all the weight and even a bit more. I have found that I don't have much of a sex drive at all, but it's not worth it to me to switch just for that reason. If you're willing to go through the first few months, go for it!"

wooooo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Reclipsen for a month for regular birth control, period regulation ,and period cramps. The first few days I had overall body weakness and a bad headache, both which subsided after those days. I had unprotected sex a week and a half after starting and did not get pregnant so it's good for that, but when my period came around the first day was awful, the worse it had been in awhile. I heard you have to take it for more than a month for the cramps to ease up so maybe next month will be better. I'll obviously also have to wait until next month to see if my period comes around the same time , but overall I'd probably recommend to a friend."

Not-great-but-not-terrible June 12, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took reclipsen for almost 3 weeks and couldn't even finish out the month. After the first few days I had pretty bad nausea, so I started taking it at night, that helped. But that's when the headaches started. All within the first two weeks my appetite went crazy (I am typically a very healthy eater) I've even gained a few pounds, I go to the gym about 4 times a week. I typically have very clear skin but I started breaking out all over. (Not just on my face) I've had anxiety pretty bad and sometimes I want to cry for no reason! My last straw, two days ago I got my first migraine since I was a kid. I have switched to Minastrin 24 fe and I am really hoping it works better for me. I know everyone's body reacts differently!"

Jaims (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Since I have been on it less than a month, my breasts are painfully tender as well as HUGE, I'm extremely moody and bitchy, weight gain/bloated not sure which, nausea, 0 sex drive, the only good side is I'm extremely project oriented on task."

Katy5kids June 2, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been taking this BC for about 4 months, it was great until the last month when I started getting headaches, quick heartbeats, lose of sleep. I gained weight in all the right areas so that was a plus. But I can't put up with the headaches, I'm tired all the time and total loss in sex drive (which is weird because I think about sex all the time). Made me cry here and there but no serious emotional outbreaks. I switched to Azurette so we will see."

Raeanneka June 2, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started taking this due to a hormone imbalance about four months ago. My period the first month was the most painful thing I have ever experienced (more painful than my appendix gluing itself to my internal organs with scar tissue), but my subsequent periods have been mostly painless besides dull cramping. Whenever I go from the placebo week to the actual hormones again, I am excessively nauseous and spend way too much time in the bathroom dry heaving. My appetite for food and sex has been shot, and my weight has remained the same regardless of activity level. I think the worst thing though is the crying. Before this pill, I was a pretty even-keeled person. Every week or so, I have a night where I become completely inconsolable."

Dadala Dala June 2, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been on it for 2 weeks now. I don't tolerate anything well and the first week I was very nauseous, had a few headaches but nothing I couldn't handle. Now I've noticed that I've gained a pound probably because it seems my boobs exploded. I was already a D and now I'm sure I'm at least a DD. Kill me. Other than that my sex drive is fine, maybe a little lower, but not bad. The one thing that I don't like is I'm super moody and then I get depressed and wanna eat everything. Also, some days I'm so tired and don't wanna do anything."

Anonymous June 1, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been on Reclipsen for a few months now. Pros- lighter periods, no stomach cramps, no acne, no babies. Cons- mood swings, TERRIBLE back pain during period, lower sex drive, no weight gain (if already active)."

Anonymous May 24, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Kariva for probably 3 years or less now, and it is my favorite bc. I have tried others with crazy emotional side effects and heavy bleeding. Kariva gets rid of my period about 99% of the time, and with that, it decreases sex drive. It got rid of my acne, and constant hot flashes. I didn't gain any weight on it. In fact, I just came off of Kariva a few weeks ago due to a severe yeast infection which I had no idea what was causing, and since then my hormones are insane from being off of it. I keep binge eating, have cramps, my vagina is almost tingling a lot, my face gets very flush and red and my skin is super dry. I gained 6 lbs in that time and hadn't changed my eating patterns. I am going back on Kariva due to this."

jwall1989 May 18, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've jumped around to many birth control pills through the years - some landed me in the hospital with severe blinding abdominal pain, some made me suicidal, and some made me nauseous. This is the first one that did not do that so I was thrilled. It also bettered my severe cystic hormonal acne to only about a blemish or two a month. However, it absolutely killed every ounce of my sex drive which used to be high and healthy. That's been very frustrating. Otherwise, okay pill."

Alexa88 May 14, 2016

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this birth control for about six months now and it's by far the best one I've ever taken. It definitely does the job, no babies and lighter periods, the first month was hard, depressed and low sex drive but those symptoms have gone now. I started the pack on the first day after my period, it has completely cleared up any acne, my boobs have gone up a size and I feel I've lost some weight due to a lack of appetite. I think if u can get through the first month without any serious problems this medication should work out fine for u. My only issue I would say is some months my period is a few days off."

KJ107 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was put on Desogen after continuous bleeding on Ortho Tri Lo. My practitioner thought I needed higher hormones. Desogen stopped all the spotting but it killed my sex drive. Even when I did have any sexual desire I didn't get the physical affects of arousal like lubrication. It made sex completely unfun even on the rare occasion that I wanted to do it at all. I gained weight while on it but I started it pretty young and I know weight gain is pretty common around that time."

LovelyDuck May 13, 2016