User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Simliya, Solia, Velivet, Viorele, Volnea …show all brand names

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "A lot of these comments on here are negative and complaining about the pill when only using it for a few weeks or so..it takes ages to get your body regulated with the pill and normal. I have been on this pill for 6 1/2 years, none-stop. I get some mood swings around my period time but that’s normal. The only thing I’d complain about is my sex drive is at an all time low..but my acne and period are so much better."

RTN (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was prescribed Apri about two months ago for acne. I am half way done with the 2nd month. So far I am having some similar side effects as other have described. I’ve been feeling extremely depressed lately and having anxiety. There are times when I feel withdrawn from activities and just want to be left alone. Also I notice a lack of appetite due to my recent anxiety which has resulted in weight loss. I’ve lost about 8 pounds since starting the birth control. As for my acne, it seems to be getting worse. However I don’t know if the birth control is to blame for my acne since I also recently started using tretinoin and clindamycin. I do plan to continue the pills for at least another month since I know sometimes it can take up to 3 months for these symptoms to go away. I’m really hoping my mood changes because I have never felt this much anxiety and moodiness in my life."

Alison (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been taking this bc for almost 4 months now and it's been amazing for me. I see a lot of negativity but everyone is different. I had been previously on several different bc pills plus before on the depo shot and with all the others I had so many issues. Breakthrough bleeding, acne, depression, anxiety, loss of energy and libido and focus, foggy type feeling and on the last birth control I took I had severe bleeding for 3 weeks which caused me to almost pass out several times. As soon as I finished the first pack of viorele my symptoms cleared up. I haven't had any issues with this pill except a little acne and gaining some cup size, but I actually lost weight with this pill which is amazing because on all the others it was impossible. I started taking bc after I had my son and was having 3 month long periods. This bc has regulated my periods so much and I have increased energy focus and libido."

LongRoad (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I would not recommend this medication to anyone. Apri caused me to gain 60lbs in the course of only 1 year. If you have ever struggled with weight loss or are trying to keep from gaining weight, absolutely DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION."

Ronni (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Sorry also have horrible mood instability with this medication"

Nope April 21, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on Reclipsen for years, then Walgreens said the name changed to Enskyce, now this month they told me it changed to Apri. I’m on my second week of this pill and I already have spotting and cramping yet I shouldn't be on my cycle for another two weeks. And I’ve been nauseous. Nervous to keep using this birth control. Never had any problem with Reclipsen"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "First few weeks I was bloated, had extreme cravings, breasts were sore and still are. I went up 3 cup sizes and gained about 5-10lbs. The only consistent issue I’ve had is nausea but it’s subsiding. I started Cyred about 7 months ago, took it for 3 months straight with NO SIDE EFFECTS and then I skipped about 3 months and went back on it which could be why I’m now experiencing these side effects. Since I started Cyred the second time I’ve only completed one months worth. I notice a change in texture in my skin though not large break outs (I don’t have acne ever). I’ve tried 4 different BC including this one, one also including the depo shot which I DO NOT recommend. But so far this OC is the only one that my body has adjusted to the weight gain and I’m starting to gain in more “flattering” places. I’m confident my experience with Cyred will get better as my body gets used to it. Nothing too severe as far as side effects."

AAP April 19, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was a normal 28 day cycle before taking this new birth control. My Dr changed me onto this pack cause my body got used to my last birth control. My body and I are used to getting used to birth controls and it sucks."

Amy Sadler (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I’m beginning to think the cause of my low sex drive, depression and anxiety, and skin rash is due to this birth control. I always thought it was just me but after reading similar reviews I don’t think it’s just me"

Anonymous April 18, 2018

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking mircette for a year and the increase in my bust size is a bonus along with my acne clearing up but the number one thing is I'm not pregnant"

Erica (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I take Azurette and have no side effects other than breakthrough bleeding two days into a pack. My pharmacy just switched my birth control to viorele and I decided to give it a try. The first week I had increased facial acne. Week two of the pack brought excessive emotions and gas build up. My stomach is skinny fit looking. By lunch time I felt disgusting, I was burping a lot, and if you looked at my stomach I looked as if I was pregnant and starting to show. Yesterday was the first day of the third week. Same bloating. That night I was miserable. I looked in the mirror and I literally looked pregnant. I laid in bed on my side and brought my knees to my chest. After a minute, I felt the gas buildup release and could literally feel it move through my intestines. Today I refused to take it. No gas build up. No bloating. I am so relaxed. I would not recommend to anyone. I am taking my pack with me to my doctor to make talk about my reactions to make sure I'm never on it again."

Anonymous April 9, 2018

Solia (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Years ago I was put on Apri and absolutely loved it. I had no side effects and my periods were extremely light. I then switched insurances and Apri was no longer covered by it. I was given Solia and told it was the generic version of Apri and that it was exactly the same. Never have a experienced such a horrible side effect like I did with this brand of birth control. The entire month I took this pill I couldn't poop. I wasn't constipated, I tried everything from yogurt, fiber, lots of water and laxatives, but it felt like my colon was swollen and wouldn't let anything pass. It was extremely painful and I felt miserable. I went to a gyno who pretty much thought I was exaggerating and blamed by symptoms on something else because "Solia and Apri are exactly the same".I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped them. After,I was able to poop normally again. This is my experience with Solia, it's different for everyone but what I learned is that generic birth control brands are NOT the same."

Anonymous March 30, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started taking this birth control in Fall of 2016 and was fine the first few months. By early 2017 I started to develop anxiety for the first time in my life at age 23. Throughout 2017 my sex drive noticeably decreased to the point of nonexistence and my anxiety worsened to the point where I was having panic attacks multiple times a week. I decided to stop taking my BC in December 2017, but now 2 months later I’m still dealing with health-related anxiety which I’m hoping lessens soon (panic attacks usually when I’m alone for no reason, heart palpitations, mood swings). This may not be the effect on everyone, but I wanted to post this to ensure others that if you’re feeling similar symptoms, you’re not alone."

BR (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 25, 2018

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I’ve been taking reclipsen for about 8 months. It works well as a birth control pill to help control periods. But I’ve experienced side effects. Over the last 3 months I’ve been taking it I started breaking out all over my cheeks & forehead. This isn’t commonly a side effect of this brand pill, but I can’t find any other reason for the breakouts. I’ve changed my face wash routine/products and regularly wash my sheets and try to not touch my face. I’m going to ask my doctor soon to change the prescription."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2018

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on this pill for about a year because I didn't know any better. I had a steady period for the first three months, straight through. I also lactated during that time. Once those symptoms went away, my mood became terrible and remained so for the next 9 months (I'm normally very happy and easy going). The following year, I got a new doctor and switched to OrthoCyclen. Been great ever since. That year was a nightmare."

Lo March 21, 2018

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "As a few have said, I started out on Reclipsen and got switched to Enskyce. I will give it props in the fact that it doesn't make me feel sick to my stomach at all. I was on one where I would vomit every day. However, I've noticed I'm more sensitive and prone to cry which I'm not a cryer. I've also gained a good amount of weight while not changing my eating habits and I just feel bloated and like I have inflammation everywhere. Another thing is I've noticed my hair feeling thinner. Ugh...if they have the same amount of hormones in the pill, why do they act differently?!? grrrrr!"

mypantsaretight (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "It made meput 20 pounds on! I have had the worst cries of my life, and my sexual drive for my partner is almost gone. Hanger issues: I am always HUNGRY and the cravings since a week prior period are the worst. And cellulite everywhere, even in my arms where I never had any. I am changing it right away."

Kikiki March 15, 2018

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm in the middle of my third pill pack and now I've been bleeding for five days- enough to need tampons for. The first month was hell: I was weepy and irritable, I was bloated all the time, and my boobs grew a ridiculous amount. Now, I'm bleeding, my boobs hurt terribly, and my acne is maybe getting better? Also, (for other factors) I eat healthy, drink at least a half gallon of water per day, and exercise. Not sure if I should keep taking this."

Maddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I asked switched from my generic birth control to birth control with higher estrogen because my menstrual cramps were so severe on the previous pill. I was prescribed Apri. Being on Apri for the past two and a half months, I have suffered horrible acid reflux, yeast infections, an extremely heavy flow, a lengthier than normal period, AND it did NOT help my cramps. I have experienced serious weight gain, hopefully just water retention, and increased hunger and cravings which are constant. Only positive, my skin is very clear, and it prevents pregnancy. For me, the side effects were not worth it... will be going back to my original birth control next month..."

collegegirl101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I never give reviews but this is the worst birth control pill I’ve been on besides TriNessa. This one is absolutely worse though. This specific one gave me horrible headaches for the first two packs and extremely emotional. I’m a very sweet person and it takes a lot to get me angry. Now I get so annoyed and angry extremely easily. I shouldn’t have the angry feelings I have and did not have them before I started this prescription. Do not recommend at all!"

... (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My obgyn tried me on this bc due to heavy periods and the progestin from my previous bc was harsh on my stomach. My first pack, no issues but period was still a bit heavy. Second pack, extremely moody at PMS time and period came a day before I got to the sugar pills. At the end of my pack, period was ending. Started my third pack and period came back with a vengeance. Period is coming to an end but 9-10 days is ridiculous. My periods are usually no more than 7 days with or without the pill. One good thing is I didn't get pregnant. I will see what happens with one more pack. My obgyn might have to put me on one with a little more estrogen."

Linzee83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Velivet did its job (no children) but the side effects were godawful. First off, it made my period REEK. You could smell the blood through jeans, which is not something I experienced before birth control, and not something I’m dealing with now that I’ve switched pills. I also would have these intense freak-outs, to the point where my loved ones were afraid to tell me things because of how I’d react. And one day once a month, a couple days before my period would start, I would suffer paralyzing self consciousness. I couldn’t even look in a mirror to brush my teeth; if I saw myself I’d break down, seeing myself as some hideous beast. It caused me to miss classes and cancel plans."

buttercup0719 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2018

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I only took enskyce for 3 days, so I know my body probably wouldn't have gotten used to it. But after the third day, I was extremely nauseous, dizzy, and had a terrible headache. I had to call out of work I felt so sick. After about 12 hours after taking it, I felt much better. And the next day (after not taking it for 36 hours) I felt completely fine. I also was irritable while I was taking it. I did have some positive effects, like increased sex drive. But I did not want to suffer through that awful feeling for 3 months while my body got used to the hormone. I know it will be different for everyone, but this is my personal experience. Keep in mind, I have a very sensitive stomach and anxiety."

Taelor March 2, 2018

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I used to be all organic for 28 years. I started this birth control and now I’ve been on it for almost a year now. I gained an insane amount of weight 15-20lbs total. I would have a ravenous appetite, be moody and depressed. Crazy amount of anxiety and overall unhappiness. I would always be so energized and this made me lazy and sad. I would have really scary thoughts, loosing my self confidence. The worst part of this drug was finding bald spots in my hair. I have thick healthy really long hair and I felt so sad and heartbroken to find bald spots. I was devastated and decided then and there to stop it. I never want to be on birthcontrol again. I am really scared to ever try this again I will be using condoms instead. I will highly recommend that no one try this drug it is unhealthy and the side effects are just traumatizing. I don’t think this type of drug should be approved by the FDA by the amount of negative side effects it has on women."

Love March 1, 2018

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I went on Juleber to help regulate my period and acne. Ever since I got to college, I started breaking out and my self esteem was super low. My doctor recommended birth control to help my period and my skin. While it regulated my period, for the first time ever I started getting cramps to the point where I couldn’t even get up to go to class. I started experiencing all the potential side effects: nausea, lack of appetite, lack of energy, soreness, dark urine, yellowing of my eyes and skin, et cetera. I could only stay on it for two months because it got so bad. My skin started breaking out like never before. Huge, red, painful cystic acne. My self esteem is so low. I started to feel depressed (a common side effect of birth control) and I was so unhappy with the way I looked. I now have to go on accutane in hopes of repairing the damage this drug has done to me. My skin will never be the same and I will have this horrible scarring on my face for the rest of my life."

Claire February 27, 2018