User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 250 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Apri did what it was supposed to do. But during the few months that I had it I was very depressed and had dark thoughts. I would cry for a week straight for no reason. I also had no sex drive. It affected me and my relationship. Now I switched from it and feel much better. No weight gain or other side affects. Regular periods, lighter than before. Each birth control affects people differently but this one was not the one from me."

Anon555555555555 March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Apri for almost a year now and only recently decided to switch, not because Apri was terrible. Apri cleared my skin pretty well, I mean I still break out but it's a lot better. My periods were shorter and I didn't experience any weight gain at all. I think my boobs got bigger but I am not sure if that was the pill or just nature because I started it at 18. I can't say if it helped prevent pregnancy because I am not sexually active. My only negative experience with this pill was my mood. I was overly sensitive and I believe it caused problems for me. My family noticed a huge change in my attitude, so I had to learn to control it, which I can do relatively well now. But I still want to switch to see a more positive change"

Beks6788 March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Apri for about six months now and it's been a rollercoaster. This is the first birth control that I have experience with, so I decided to give it 5 stars because it's done some good for me and some not so good. I have had bad acne for the past 10+ years, so when I first started taking Apri and the acne subsided I was thrilled. I like having regular, track-able periods, but I suppose you'd have that with any birth control. The downside is the absolutely AWFUL mood swings, and I mean awful. I'm typically a very happy, joke-y person, but while on this medication I've noticed that I can get into funks of terrible irritability and sadness for no reason. I will be discussing different options with my doctor next time I see her."

Bubzie March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started this pill a week ago due to Stage 3 Endometriosis. I am having pregancy like nausea. It is all day. The only way to fix it is to continually eat. If I did that I would pack on the pounds. It is also making me feel weird in my head. Like I cannot focus. I would not recommend this at all."

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took this pill for 4 months thinking my body will get use to it but it only got worse. I have been taking different birth control pills for about 6 years now and never have I ever had the symptoms that I had on this pill. My periods were heavy and lasted 7 plus days. I had intense cramps to the point that I couldn't move and had to practice breathing exercises. I had blood clots that were the size of quarters or bigger. It may have just been my body but I will not go back to this pill."

No thanks (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "(I've been on Apri for the last year) Side Effects: 1) horrible mood swings 2) irrational thoughts 3) weight gain 4) depression 5) constantly fatigued 6) decreased sex drive"

Viiiii (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So I've only been on this pill for a month. Before this, I was on Yasmin for a month, and before that, I was on Junel Fe for 4 months, and before that, Lo Loestrin Fe for 2 months. I know it's still pretty early, but so far it is a great pill. On Yasmin, I was a monster. My temperament is usually very laid-back and carefree, but I was an emotional, depressed mess. After switching to Apri, it almost feels like an antidepressant for me. I'm in such a happy, good mood all the time. So far, I've only gotten sad one day the week before my period week, where I cried a little, but nothing compared to last month on Yasmin. So far no weight gain either, my skin hasn't broken out on this, and my boobs are getting bigger (plus for me, being an A cup)."

whatisthisnow March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I loved being on Reclipsen. I started taking it when I was 20 and had no side effects, probably because I was active in college and had other things to distract me. I'm now 26 and stopped taking Reclipsen so my husband and I can start trying for a baby, so far the effects of coming off Reclipsen have been horrible. I can't wait to get pregnant and have babies so I can go back on Reclipsen!"

Reclipsenlova February 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this pill for 3 months and am now switching. I didn't get pregnant so that's the only advantage. My mood swings were out of wack when I first started the pill. I have headaches, am tired all the time, tender boobs, severe cramping, bad acne and heavy periods. I ended up with a cyst in my left boob too. My sex drive increased and I was more wet during intercourse than my last pill. Everyone's body is different, this one wasn't right for me."

Madi3005 February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been in Velivet for about 2 years now because of painful, heavy and irregular periods. I've tried others that were too strong. This one has worked until the last month. I've noticed that my cramping has came back and it has taken my sex drive away completely! Which is NOT good"

torrob2003 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Kept me from getting pregnant and was easy to remember to take because of packaging, but it made me nauseous in the morning for the first couple of months."

LMoster (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "When I first started it I got really emotional & would get irritated easily but that all subsided after the first month or so. No weight gain, no acne, no pregnancy lol. But about the only downfall to this medication is that if I don't eat quite a bit right before I take it, I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling nauseous & not able to go back to sleep. I can't just eat a cracker or some chips & take it, my stomach has to be full. Different medications effect everyone differently so that might just be me but I'm kinda curious as to whether anyone else has had this side effect from this medication?"

Brittnayyyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on several different types of BC that all made me nauseous/vomit until I found Mircette. I had absolutely no side effects with this pill. The only reason I stopped taking it was because my husband and I wanted to start a family. I stopped taking the pill in August and we conceived in October so it had no effect on my fertility. I plan on taking this pill again as soon as I finish breastfeeding."

hibiscusRN (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "The worst experience ever. Deep depression and I've never had issues with depression in my life. I was seriously a mess."

AJ1979 February 17, 2017

"Terrible. Enough said."

Jwhwbeheiwiw (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Horrible. Horrible. Horrible!!! Do NOT take reclipsen. I'm finishing off my 2nd week and I've been miserable! My heart rate has been crazy. I've been having panic attacks that I haven't had in a long time. I've had a migraine for 2 days now. Nothing will make it go away. I've basically OD on headache medicine. I've felt so dizzy and light headed. My depression has came back. Screwed up my sleep. Super nauseous. No appetite. Some people say they've gained weight, but I've lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks, NOT the healthy way. I've been so miserable and it's sooo not worth it!! Save yourself and DO NOT TRY IT!!!!!!"

Hannahhhh February 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am not happy with reclipsen. I have gained a ton of weight in the last 3 months I have been on it, I get super nauseous in the mornings, and I have one extremely bad migraine on the last day of the pills. I changed to reclipsen because my other BC was giving me headaches. Now I'm fat and have zero sex drive. I am going to stop reclipsen asap."

Jenbo321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I mainly got on birth control to clear up my acne; the breakouts weren't too bad, but definitely pesty. Juleber didn't really help much with my skin. Actually, it stayed the same over my 12 months of using it. As far as a contraceptive it does the job. Just wish I could have gotten some of the positive skin clearing results many people seem to get."

Joy414 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Worst experience was given as generic for viorele . Headache nausea vomiting lightheadiness in 2nd week . First week increased acne like acne I've never had before in my life . Had to stop . Also increased my mood swings . Must of been an inactive ingredient because had no problem with viorele except wearing contacts and they have same active ingredients. Worst experience to date with birth control ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I really don't understand the negativity this birth control has. I started this in July 2016 and have had pretty much a standard experience in terms of taking bc. This isn't the first bc I've been on, but it's definitely the best. I suffer from PMDD so this bc is a life-saver. No longer am I on the floor in crippling pain, unable to move and/or walk. My periods are a lot lighter, as is the cramps/back&breast aches associated with it. & I don't understand 'this birth control made me gain weight!' It's been proven that birth control isn't the cause of weight gain. I'm still the size I've always been. I did, however, gain two cup sizes but shopping for cute bras is okay with me. It does it's job; unprotected sex with the fiance & not preggo."

Nikkkkaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on this for a year or two, I had been on birth control since I was 13 up-to age 22 to regulate my periods. Let's just say this is a NO GO for high triglycerides and also if you're smoking. I ended up in the hospital with Severe Acute Necrotizing Pancreatitus caused from very high triglyceroids which this pill attributed to and also a Pulmonary Embolism ( blood clot)."

Cassie1193 January 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "A lot of the reviews on here are scary, but I think it must be personal chemistry that decides if this medicine will work for you or not. I've been on it for 2.5 years and I didn't really have any physical side effects. I maybe had some breast pain when I started it, but cutting down on caffeine cured that. I do have anxiety, but I don't think I can blame this pill for that, it's kind of just my personality. Overall, this pill has just done it's job for me."

Shay J (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm 19 and have been on this birth control since I was 16. I love it so much I've never noticed any bad side effects. I have gained weight but that's probably because I've gotten older. I recently just switched to the nuvaring because I am horrible at remembering to take the pill and am more sexually active now."

Anonymous January 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched to this birth control from Gildess fe 1/20 (It made me depressed intensified my anxiety and I was having two periods a month). At first I was skeptical from initial water retention and moodiness but after the first month was over all those initial issues disappeared."

Hypochondriac2.0 January 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This birth control changed my life. I suffered through menstrual migraines and headaches for years, for 3 weeks out of the month I had a headache almost every single day. I started this pill in October 2015 and have had THREE headaches. Amazing"

9056 January 15, 2017