User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was recently diagnosed with (thin) PCOS after stopping birth control for four years. The only reason I stopped my original pill was because they were no longer manufacturing it. I tried Mircette for a week, in an effort to manage my PCOS symptoms (low progesterone, acne, irritability, no menstruated cycles), and this pill was terrible. It increased my irritability, and gave me the worst cramps I've ever had. It was so painful, I couldn't even move/walk to get to the bathroom. My doctor said this is not normal, and to stop the medication. I haven't tried another one yet, and I'm considering going back to using my essential oils with natural progesterone. At least it improved my mood."

Lauren H. (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Kariva for almost 3 weeks now and the first week or so my body definitely had to adjust to the hormones. I was getting hot flashes, burning up at night, fatigue, nausea and easily agitated/emotional. At the beginning of this week I feel like I'm finally adusting. What I don't like is my vagina is so dry when normally it's wet all the time, and my sex drive has diminished quite a bit. Like others have said, this is taking a toll on my relationship. Guys have to be so patient while we deal with this crap! Overall though, this is the best birth control I've been on. My skin is looking great too! I'm going to stick this out for a couple months but if my vagina continues to be like the Sahara, I don't think it's worth staying on."

Shells522 August 24, 2016

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking Azurette 28's since August 7th 2016 and have been experiencing cramps since the 2nd or 3rd day. They go from being mild with little irritation to being severe. I'm having mood swings as well. I've even noticed that I have gained weight. I had a bad migraine headache over the weekend, i felt so terrible I was throwing up and I couldn't lay down because my entire skull felt like it was shattering into a million little pieces. I almost had my husband take me to the emergency room. I was on Lutera a few years ago and I didn't experience any of these symptoms. I'm going to ask my doctor to switch me to that. I would never recommend Azurette to anyone. I only wanted to regain control over my periods otherwise I wouldn't be on bc."

Sarahb48044 August 23, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have had no side effects since being on Apri, which I switched to from a similar kind that wasn't covered by insurance."

An0nymous123 August 22, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am 18 & Kariva was the first birth control I was prescribed. Definitely does it's job birth-control wise, there was some prolonged spotting after my first period on the pill but my flow was steady after that. No weight changes, however I noticed it did nothing to help my acne, which was a factor in starting birth control. My first week on the pill, I experienced heavy nausea & diarrhea, so first timers keep that in mind. The worst part about the experience in general was the mood swings. I have always been an anxious person by nature but Kariva increased my level of self-conciousness, stress, & feeling of uneasiness. I also experienced some bouts of depression. All in all it could work well for some, but I have just switched my b.c. brand"

Maddie S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this bc for 4 months. Since then, I've experienced nausea every single day. I have no appetite and barely eat anything but I still haven't lost weight. I have no sex drive(and TMI but very dry)and I'm a raging bitch most days! I have head aches every single day 24/7 and I'm tired constantly. My dr told me this bc is good for those with acne but I have had horrible break outs that I can't stop!I forgot to take my pill today and just realized that I haven't experienced any of these symptoms at all! I am the type of person who will experience every possible side effect of a medication though so do consider that. I still wouldn't recommend it!!"

Andreya August 12, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been on this for over a year. I've gained weight get extremely emotional before I start. I am on bc to help regulate my periods. I know when I will start however bleeding is heavy and I spot for three weeks and I get maybe a week off from spotting/bleeding. This is a killer to my sex life! I have contacted my OBGYN to help find me a bc that is no periods to see if that helps!"

Kkluvlove (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking reclipsen for almost two years. The first 3 months I threw up every morning. To this day, each pill I take I experience nausea. I hate it. I realize now it's not me and just the pill. I stopped taking it for a month and felt so much better. Also, I have no sex drive anymore so I guess it does it's "job.""

Ughhhhh August 9, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched to Apri because my insurance company didn't approve Tri Lo MARZIA. I got put on birth control because of my heavy periods. After a week on Apri, I started to have migraines every 3 days. I would throw up and it would make me really moody and I would cry at the drop of a hat. When we told the insurance company what was going on, they wouldn't pay for the Tri Lo Marzia. So, I got a GoodRX card to help with the cost."

FallenR August 2, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is my first month on Apri and I haven't been on any other forms of the pill since I was 18. I was prescribed Loestrin in 2009 for bad cramping and PMS, but got off that due to huge mood swings, bloating, weight gain and breast tenderness. It is now 7 yrs since then and I am using the pill mainly for birth control. I am on my third week and am feeling awful! I have had headaches several times per week, extreme nausea, cramping and tiredness. I have also felt anxiety and will wake up in the middle of the night. I take the pill in the morning but will be switching to a night time routine to see if my symptoms decrease or if I tolerate it better. My mood has been pretty normal and my sex drive is good. The worst thing has been the nausea."

Newgirl12 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started these pills because of a very irregular period, and once I started all my periods became regular and shorter. This pill cleared up my acne, as well. The second month taking it however I would feel nauseous, but it went away, and it also weirdly increased my sex drive. I did gain a little bit of weight in my stomach and my boobs grew 2 cup sizes larger. Overall this pill works for me and helped with my period and I would recommend it, although it works differently for everyone."

Anonymous July 29, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have attempted this pill once before and have it another go and I am unhappy with the side effects. I've experienced sore breasts, they have increased in size, severe dry eye, fatigue, depression, increased craving appetite of sugars and carbs than before like I feel pregnant, I have no drive or desire to exercise or do anything. I feel like a different person :("

Angela Fisher (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking this pill for over 2 years now and I have never had any problems! It lightened my period and got rid of my cramps and acne! I have had no spotting or anything, as long as you take your pill correctly your experience with kariva will be great! No crazy mood swings and less cramps! My sex drive is the same and my breast have gone from a C to a DD while being on this pill. I have a little more vaginal dryness but nothing to crazy. I would not want to be on any other pill! Beware of getting this pill if you are with CVS pharmacy (switch pharmacys) CVS will fill kariva for you for a couple months then without your permission they switch you to a generic brand viorele and it's TERRIBLE my friends.. Best of luck to you"

fbh2561 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "It works but definetily makes you feel like youre pregnant."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Kariva definitely had its ups and downs for me, but the downs were so horrible I had to go off. Pros: I never got pregnant. I stopped getting cystic acne on my chin and my skin was way clearer than it had ever been before (other birth control had been ineffective in doing this). My sex drive was not decreased at all. Cons: My boobs went from a C to spilling out of a DD and tender. I gained 10 lbs and NONE of my clothes fit anymore. My feet and ankles got so swollen that some of my shoes stopped fitting. For the first three months I spotted like crazy. After that, my periods were regular and not too bad of flow, but other birth controls had made me have a 2 day "barely there" period or not get a period at all which was way better."

Stacy S. July 18, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched from Lo Loestrin Fe to Apri because I was getting married and wanted to ensure I was having a monthly period (no pregnancy scares for me, thanks). I didn't experience many side effects at first, but with my first period on the new pill came painful cramping and heavy bleeding. Mind you, I hadn't had a real period in about a year thanks to Lo Lo Fe, but that sort of pain was why I started birth control in the first place. I've been on it about four months now and have seen a significant decrease in my sex drive, which, hello, sucks (newlywed, remember?). I've also seen mood swings and nausea the last couple months as my body has been adjusting, and I'm just not about that life. Switching as soon as I can."

get me off this pill already July 16, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am just now finishing out my first month on this BC and it's seeming to work very well. I have gained weight in all the right places and haven't had any horrible side effects. With that being said, I have been bleeding since I started taking the pill. I'm hoping that after I take the placebos and start the next pack that the problem will fix itself. I have also been emotional, but nothing that I can't handle. I would most likely recommend this to a friend."

aubsslt (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My libido was non existent even after taking it for more than 3 months. It also made me gain 10 pounds but that wasn't a huge problem for me. The only thing that sucks about this pill is the noticeable decrease in sex drive, other than that it's fine."

sarahiiiiii July 14, 2016

"I have been on this pill for about a year with no major side effects except for a decrease in libido."

Lindsey_1309 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2016

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I hate this birth control. I have gained excess weight, which never happened to me on any other b.c., and my PMDD is worse. My doc gave it to me bc I get severe headaches the week before, of, and after my period. So basically 3 of 4 wks in a month. And I was having horrible mood swings. Extreme PMS...as I said PMDD. This was supposed to help bc of lower levels and regulating hormones. Other than less severe headaches nothing has been lessened and I have gained 20lbs that won't go away. I am quitting this pill today."

B.C.M (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I only give it a few points because I was put on it to regulate periods which it has done. But this BC has made my cramps severe to the point of near vomitting. My emotions drastically switch in an instant. I haven't been able to sleep much since being on it."

InsertNickname July 7, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking Reclipsen for a year. I switched to Reclipsen because my other birth control was giving me spotting during the month. Reclipsen helped that but now I have no sex drive at all which is really annoying. I get at least one horrific migraine before I start my period and I'm super emotional. I thought all these things were just me but after reading the other reviews I realize that it might be my BC. I never realized it could have these side effects. I'm going to try to switch to another type at my next appt with my OBGYN."

Anon00000 July 7, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking it for over a year now (going on 2). I've really had no adverse side effects. I used to get hormonal acne the week before my period on my chin, and once I took the pills I stopped breaking out. I didn't gain weight. It also helped extremely for my mood swings that I used to get before my period. I would randomly get upset and the pill has really helped me control my emotions better. They only thing is you have to be consistent and not skip any days. As soon as I skipped a day, I noticed some side effects (ex. minor breakouts). Overall I really love it. Not everyone's body reacts the same."

StrawberryTea (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started the pill 3 weeks ago I'm about to begin the 4th week tomorrow, I've experienced breast tenderness since the first pill I've taken and it's been inconsistent and hasn't stopped yet, normally I'd just have breast soreness the week of my period then it would stop but when I took the pill it hasn't stopped, i did get acne the first week but it cleared up, I have noticed some mood swing change as i got closer to the 2 green pills, but I normally pms the week before my period, it seems as tho my patience is a lot thinner now though then it was before, I'm nervous for the yellow pills because my periods weren't ever bad before and I'm afraid there gonna be longer or something but i hope not. Overall i like the pill and would recommend it"

Paitent (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

Emoquette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "When I first started this I got so sick but I realized you have to eat before taking this, do not take on empty stomach! My acne did somewhat get better, I would definitely recommend this to underweight people it added a few pounds on me! No emotional problems, period lasts anywhere from 3-7 days, cramps aren't as bad, good sex drive!"

alli03 June 21, 2016