User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 264 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My doctor put me on this BC 3 months postpartum and I've decided to stop taking after being on it for two months. I've bled the entire time being on this pill, mood swings, dark thoughts, very emotional, nauseated all the time, the bloating is so uncomfortable (prior to starting this pill I had my waist back and almost a flat stomach but now I look like I'm a few months pregnant again!) I have no drive, low energy (I'm sure from bleeding for 2 months), I just want to eat all the time, I've gained weight, overall this BC didn't mesh very well with my body. I'll be going back to taking Enskyce again, which I took for 3years with no issues."

Sally430 September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Apri for almost 5 years. I was originally put on it for acne but it's also been very effective as birth control too. My partner and I don't use any other form of birth control unless I'm on conflicting meds. My periods are regular and predictable, usually 3-4 days. I've gained weight, but I don't think Apri was the cause. Overall, Apri works well for me and have had no issues with it."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm 22 and weigh 110 lbs. my dosage for juleber was 0.15. I didn't ever get pregnant on juleber or get acne or weight gain. The only negative thing that happened was I was extremely moody. The week before my period I was extremely emotional and during my period I was also really emotional. Other than that it was a good bc"

Jay jayakshsjs September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm on my second month of Apri, and honestly haven't experienced any side effects. My biggest concern was the whole blood clot issue, but my doctor says I'm low risk and healthy, so I need not worry. Only down fall, is you will be moody. Since I read reviews before hand, I'm in total control of my mood swings since I know its the birth control making me agitated. Weight gain? None. Boobs? Sometimes they're really tender and heavy feeling. Once I get in the sugar pull week those feelings subside. Overall, Apri has been good to me."

Miss Bee (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for about 1.5 weeks. So far I have had only bloating and some dizziness. Hoping the bloating will go away soon. I have noticed however that my appetite has decreased while on this medication. No weight gain except for some water weight."

Apri User September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on April for almost a year now. It works great protecting against pregnancy and keeping my periods regular, which they don't happen exactly on the sugar pill day, but every time on Wednesday. But the down side to these pills is how big of a mental and emotional toll it takes on me. It gives me crazy amounts of anxiety, I've had anxiety a couple times in my life but it's an everyday thing now. It makes me feel like I've changed as a person. And makes me very depressed and have deep dark thoughts on life. I've always been an outgoing go getter type of person, but all I wanna do now is sleep and ignore my anxiety. I don't know if I should change it or stay on it and see if it goes away. But it's been happening for almost a year now."

Anonymous September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Pro: I recommend Azurette. I started on birth control after I would get nauseous for two weeks out of every the month. That has been fixed. I've been on other birth controls and say this birth control worked best for me. I've been on it one year. I haven't had headaches. My sex drive has been great. I haven't lost or gained weight. Con: Occasionally sex will be uncomfortable. Its not bad enough to switch, because I've had too many problems with other meds."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Took viorele for 2 months and I had to stop. Started taking the pill when my period started and my period went on for 4 weeks (medium bleeding). I also got nauseous after taking the first pack. Nausea and long bleedings stopped with the second pack. However, with the second pack I was very moody, I had this uncontrollable anger and being so angry made me cry so much. Planning to switch to a lower dose pill. Being off the pill for 2 weeks, I can feel the difference. Even my boyfriend notices. I feel like I am no longer angry and moody all the time."

First time user (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started taking this pill about a year ago and it's been complete hell since I started. The first week and half, I'm unbearable nauseous and hardly have an appetite. At first I thought these symptoms would subside, but they never did. The next week and half, I'm cursed with almost extreme PMS symptoms. Ridiculous bloating, awful acne, breast pain; you name it. My periods last an entire week and I get debilitating cramps, so bad to where they make me sick the first few days. I tried to wait it out the year but it's only gotten worse. This birth control has given me the worst anxiety, migraines, heart palpitations, and I'm dizzy constantly. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, not even my worst enemies. Please be cautious when using this."

mikaelaaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this meds due to my body not having the hormones to stop my period. Now I'm back on it after I quit it to have children. No other birth control is as good. Bad side effects, facial hair and my periods are heavy. Good side, not pregnant, mood is better, less menstrual cramps then on other pills."

Psychosinger2285 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on viorele for the past year and a half. At first, it was great! It got rid of my cramps, it regulated my period, and it worked in respects to preventing pregnancy, but for the past 6 months, I experienced a severe decrease in my libido, almost it was nonexistent. When I did want to have sex, I experienced severe pain, which I didn't experience prior. I was agitated and my anxiety and depression were worse. I'm now looking for a different birth control."

sadperson (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Pharmacy switched my pill from Azurette to Viorele and that was a big mistake! I was very emotional and depressed with severe anxiety. My appetite was low. I felt like crying everyday. Never again!"

noey7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched from orsynthia to kariva due to painful sex. I was cautious to try it seeing all the bad reviews but I'm glad I read them considering I had many of the same problems. First of all, your period SHOULD come during the first two days of the placebo week, that didn't happen. I got my period at the very end of the week each time with bad cramps. Flow wasn't terrible still kind of heavy for birth control though. I also didn't like was how many headaches I would get; at least 3-4 a week. I would also feel very foggy and tired all the time. My appetite has definitely changed on this also, I would constantly want to eat all the junk food I could find. Didn't gain much weight but still. Boobs also got bigger. I'm changing back to orsynthia!"

Jilliayy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I absolutely hate this birth control. Before I switched to this I had been on Tri Linyah (Ortho tri cyclen) for 5 years and it was great! However I wanted to switch to a new pill because I felt breast tenderness more often and I wanted the ability to be able to skip my period (my old pill had different dosages each week which made this difficult). I went on Cyred and my skin has been awful from the beginning (like so bad), my boobs are still very sore, and I experience nausea constantly. I'm currently just stopping this pill even though I haven't been a day without BC since I was 15. I am abroad right now and I am tired of what this pill is doing to me.. can't wait to visit a doctor back home to get my old pill back or start IUD"

Mao1778 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Cramps & fatigue were my major issues with this pill. I switched from Orsythia to this after having some breakthrough bleeding on the other pill. I've been taking it for a year and have decided to switch to something else because of the cramping I got even when not on my period. I always felt like I had my period. Had several yeast infections and always felt kind of itchy. It did do a good job of stopping my period because I would take it for 3 months straight with no breakthrough bleeding then have a break. But I'd rather get my period every month than cramp all the time.. my skin did look amazing on this and no weight gain either. Also prevented pregnancy."

katchee August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this pill for about 9 months now. I have combination skin and I am prone to acne. I had cleared up and then broke out very badly within the first 3 months until my body got used to it. I now only get a few breakouts a week or so before my period, but they are all cystic acne along my jaw line. I have absolutely no sex drive on this medication, I am constantly always dry now, and my emotions are out of control. I never understood girls when they said they got emotional on their periods, except when I was on this birth control pills. It was bad, like very bad. Like severe fighting with my boyfriend because I would get so heavily emotional and explode. I will be switching birth controls yet again very soon"

Ktslr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took Viorele for a single month. I have experienced the worst acne I've had in YEARS, my depression has gotten significantly worse, my blood pressure (which is usually spot on perfect) is frequently high, and my mood swings are horrible."

HeatherP19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "When I first switched my birth control from the generic version of Ortho tri-cyclen lo to Kariva, it was an attempt to regulate my ph balance. Although the switch made no difference in that area, I noticed a significant change in my mood. In a GOOD way! I had been taking the other birth control for so long, I thought it was just me that had crazy mood swings every month. Once I switched, the moods were gone. My mind was blown. I have also noticed a decrease in acne which is always a plus. They've also just changed the bubble pack to release the pills more easily. I recommend."

Misskd88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have taken Kariva for about 6 months and my boobs have gone from an A cup to a D cup, which is alarming. I have pregnancy like symptoms very often, but I'm not pregnant. Overall this birth control made me extremely moody and gain crazy weight."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Apri was awful. My periods before I started taking the pill were 4/5 days then when I started, my periods became 16 days long. I was depressed. I gained a lot of acne when previously my skin was clear. I was on it for 5 months but the negative side effects were so clear. It absolutely wasn't worth it. With that said, it is an effective birth control option, just not for me"

Mags'123441 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started this in April 2017 and I had a little place that looked like a tiny spider bite (nothing real serious) then it began to look like a ringworm well by the time I planned a dr appointment like a week later because I was at the beach I had red spots all over my arms so I went to the dermatologist and had THREE biopsys done, and blood work to find out I had Lupus. My OB said that we would switch and that it was this birth control that caused it. I DO NOT recommend."

Lauren weaver August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this pill was to relive my heavy periods not for contraception. Just to give a quick medical background I'm 26 and have always suffered with long and heavy periods lasting between 10-12days. It got to the point where it started causing me medical issues such as low white blood cells, severe tiredness as well as deficiencies, anaemia and constant bugs. I was referred to a haematologist (blood doctor) who prescribed desogestrel to stop my periods which I took for a total of 3months. Since day one of starting this medication I have bled continuously, the first month was only light spotting and only required a thin liner. At this point I wasn't experiencing any other side effects so I persevered as I was told it could take 3months for my body to adjust. However, into the 2nd month the bleeding got heavier and by the 3rd month it was awful and things were spiralling downhill daily! This pill was having the opposite effect of what It was suppose to do and the constant bleeding made my existing problems 10x worse and on top of everything I got cystitis just before my holiday which meant I couldn't swim, drink etc and felt dreadful. My mood and personality changed and TBH I was a hormonal mess! I felt uptight, anxious and paranoid all the time and kept snapping at my husband over petty things. I wasn't sleeping properly and was getting terrible palpitations and nausea which seemed to be worse at night keeping me awake. My tummy was very sore and bloated. I also put on weight mainly on my thighs and breasts, I went from a B cup to a DD!!! My friends all thought I had secretly had boob job haha! Most girls would be happy about this but I'm very petite so the smallest amount of weight makes me feel disgusting and is quite noticeable. I decided to stop taking desogestrel whilst on holiday as I couldn't bare it anymore and it was ruining my holiday. Luckily within a couple of days of stopping I felt like my old self again but I continued to bleed which I'm hoping is just a post pill period. I can't wait for my body to be back to normal, It's amazing how a tiny pill can cause so much damage! I suppose the only positive is that you definitely won't get pregnant on this pill as the bleeding means no sex whatsoever. This pill has honestly put me off trying any sort of contraception again. I'll happily take my existing problems over the side effects from this pill any day!"

Ltay90 August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Kariva and Viorele are LITERALLY the same thing people."

duhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm going into my fourth month taking Viorele, and I'm surprised at how well my body has reacted to this BC. I was on Lo Loestrin Fe (for about 6 Mo.) & Gildess Fe (about two years) prior to switching to Viorele. I haven't had any migraines, mood swings, or breakouts since starting the pill. I usually have all those symptoms when starting something new. Also, my period cramping, bloating, and pain has significantly decreased with the help of this pill. It also helped clear up my cystic acne, and my weight has remained stable. The only negative about Viorele for me was the extreme tenderness and soreness in my breasts. My breasts are the most painful upon waking up in the morning, but then the feeling somewhat subsides. I'm pretty happy."

Mónica Z. July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So far, I haven't had any problems with Apri. At first my feet swelled a little bit, and I was kind of bloated but that all went sway after the first pack. I've had Nexplanon which was the WORST birth control I could've ever got. It cause SO many health problems for me, mostly stomach problems. It made me lose a ton of weight, which wasn't very healthy for a 15 year old. I was on the Depo shot, and that made my moods CRAZY. I have pretty bad anxiety already, and the shot pretty much made it worse. I don't take any medications for my anxiety, because I don't believe I need to but I had to with the depo shot. It made me gain about 15 pounds, so I'm basically back to where I was 3 years ago before Nexplanon. Apri has been the best for me yet."

Anonymous 3 July 22, 2017