User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Simliya, Solia, Velivet, Viorele, Volnea …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "At first, the side effects were minimal, but starting around the 2nd-week depression slowly crept up and made me super miserable. I've switched to Ortho Cylen and feel much better."

M832974384279 November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Viorele for over 2 years, and I do not have problems with it at all. No pregnancies, light menstruation and no cramping. No problems with moods swings at all!!!"

Tee86 November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately."

KateB17 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Rated a 5 due to its effectiveness at preventing pregnancy but I stopped taking it after many years of this brand or the same ingredients in different brands because I've finally realized it is the cause of my frequent migraines, terrible moodiness and anger issues. I stopped taking to try to conceive and had been off it for about two years. All of those side effects disappeared at least a great deal. Now I've been back on for 6 months and all side effects have reappeared. Please if you are experiencing depression, anger issues, anxiety or similar issues don't write it off, it will begin to have a huge affect on your daily life."

Sylq November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects."

haleyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is the only bc that I have been able to tolerate since I had my first child over 10 years ago. I had no problems prior to pregnancy. I had a hard time after my 2nd child. No period, thyroiditis, mood swings, depression...yuck! I have evened out now. I did have headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings in the beginning. Currently on the 5th mo. I do suffer from insomnia but often wonder if Viorele is making it worse. I had many other symptoms that were way worse than starting on Viorele. It's calmed me and fatigue is trying to leave. My bowels are effected during the yellow pills and first few days of a new pack. Meds effect everyone differently. I was about out of options, glad the side effects are diminishing."

not that bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was switched to Viorele from Azurette about 3-4 months ago. Azurette was amazing. Light periods, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, no weight gain and did not mess with my Libido what so ever . It worked with my body perfectly. Since I've been put on Viorele, I've had the WORST mood swings, and bad depression. My boyfriend has even noticed that I never want to do anything anymore and am on the verge of crying/ having anger episodes. I have not been myself since I've been on Viorelle. I was on my period for literally the first 2 months of taking it. I also have had NO sex drive. Which is also affecting my relationship. I know different medications effect differently to each person, but I wanted to share mine with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took reclipsen for around 10 years with no issues. My doctor said I could ride this out until age 50 as I didn't have any risk factors (except age as I was over 40). Out of the blue, I got a groin to knee DVT and the cause was this stupid pill!!!! I am so very lucky it didn't become a PE and I could have suffered a horrible disability or worse. 7 months later and I still have long term effects from the DVT and the damage to my leg caused by it. When I asked by doctor if they would be reporting as an adverse reaction to the FDA, she said "oh, they already know." which tells me, the side effects (especially the serious ones) are under-reported!!!!! Find another method of BC!!!! This isn't worth it!"

REGRETIT October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched to Kariva from Apri. I have been on Apri for 6 month, and I have noticed that my hair started to fall out. However, it might be connected to other reasons, my hair is usually sensitive to stress, and I had particularly bad times 3-6 months ago. Anyways, I switched because of this and water retention I have been experiencing. It definitely helped! I have lost approximately 5 pounds in first 2 weeks with Kariva, and I do not loose my hair anymore. However, I have noticed PMS with the first pack of Kariva. I had it all the time before I started BC, it stopped with Apri, and now it seems to be back again."

qq33452 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Do NOT take this medication. I am 22 years old and have been on the pill since 16. I was having intense menstrual bleeding so my doctor prescribed me a higher dose and ended up giving me this brand. It did not help my cramps what so ever and it made me very emotional. I lost all of my sex drive and became very dry down there. The most scary part is yet to come... A month and a half into it I became EXTREMELY dizzy and light headed. I decided to finish up the month then get off of it. However 2 weeks off of it and I am still extremely dizzy and lightheaded. I have gotten every blood test and nothing comes up. I have seen that several other women experienced pulmonary embolism in the lungs and will be getting this checked out. DO NOT USE!"

SophiaLore October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on Ortho Cept for three years it was the first pill I tried since I was on the Depo-Provera for 8 years. I loved it!! Even though I loved the depo shot they don’t recommend it over a long period of time. There were no negative effects for me, positive effect was a whole cup size up in my breast. I can say once I got off all birth control it was the first time I ever had cramps, felt sluggish and had mood swings. It’s been three years not on any birth control So I can’t wait to get back on ortho cept this month!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This medication from day 1 made me feel not so good but week 3 I already have breast buds and fat on hips. Love this pill"

ManGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My daughter was switched from Azurette (no side effects) to Viorelle, by the pharmacy. She's miserable. Periods are still unstable, the breakouts have stopped but thats the only plus! Her periods last forever, she's always exhausted, looks like a zombie half the time, got sick with a cough and took a month to kick it, has NO energy, NO strength, gaining weight, Horrible headaches and period cramps. After reading the other problems ladies have had with this pill she will be STOPPING IT! Thanks ladies for coming on here to tell your stories!"

Barely Functioning Zombie October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took reclipsen for about 5 years. For the last year I was spotting everyday. My doctor thought it was possibly a uterine polyp but once she did a hysteroscopy (put a camera in my uterus) she discovered that my uterine lining had become dangerous thin due to the pill. I immediately stopped taking it. I used to be blotted everyday, but since I stopped the pill my stomach is flat and I dropped 10 pounds almost instantly. My boobs did shrink once I stopped but it was a fair trade for the weight loss. The worst part about all this is the 3 months after I stopped the reclipsen I've been experiencing insane hair loss. Every time I brush or wash my hair it comes out in wads. I can now see my scalp through my bangs. I would never recommend reclipse"

Christyincolorado (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My doctor put me on this BC 3 months postpartum and I've decided to stop taking after being on it for two months. I've bled the entire time being on this pill, mood swings, dark thoughts, very emotional, nauseated all the time, the bloating is so uncomfortable (prior to starting this pill I had my waist back and almost a flat stomach but now I look like I'm a few months pregnant again!) I have no drive, low energy (I'm sure from bleeding for 2 months), I just want to eat all the time, I've gained weight, overall this BC didn't mesh very well with my body. I'll be going back to taking Enskyce again, which I took for 3years with no issues."

Sally430 September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Apri for almost 5 years. I was originally put on it for acne but it's also been very effective as birth control too. My partner and I don't use any other form of birth control unless I'm on conflicting meds. My periods are regular and predictable, usually 3-4 days. I've gained weight, but I don't think Apri was the cause. Overall, Apri works well for me and have had no issues with it."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm 22 and weigh 110 lbs. my dosage for juleber was 0.15. I didn't ever get pregnant on juleber or get acne or weight gain. The only negative thing that happened was I was extremely moody. The week before my period I was extremely emotional and during my period I was also really emotional. Other than that it was a good bc"

Jay jayakshsjs September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm on my second month of Apri, and honestly haven't experienced any side effects. My biggest concern was the whole blood clot issue, but my doctor says I'm low risk and healthy, so I need not worry. Only down fall, is you will be moody. Since I read reviews before hand, I'm in total control of my mood swings since I know its the birth control making me agitated. Weight gain? None. Boobs? Sometimes they're really tender and heavy feeling. Once I get in the sugar pull week those feelings subside. Overall, Apri has been good to me."

Miss Bee (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for about 1.5 weeks. So far I have had only bloating and some dizziness. Hoping the bloating will go away soon. I have noticed however that my appetite has decreased while on this medication. No weight gain except for some water weight."

Apri User September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on April for almost a year now. It works great protecting against pregnancy and keeping my periods regular, which they don't happen exactly on the sugar pill day, but every time on Wednesday. But the down side to these pills is how big of a mental and emotional toll it takes on me. It gives me crazy amounts of anxiety, I've had anxiety a couple times in my life but it's an everyday thing now. It makes me feel like I've changed as a person. And makes me very depressed and have deep dark thoughts on life. I've always been an outgoing go getter type of person, but all I wanna do now is sleep and ignore my anxiety. I don't know if I should change it or stay on it and see if it goes away. But it's been happening for almost a year now."

Anonymous September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Pro: I recommend Azurette. I started on birth control after I would get nauseous for two weeks out of every the month. That has been fixed. I've been on other birth controls and say this birth control worked best for me. I've been on it one year. I haven't had headaches. My sex drive has been great. I haven't lost or gained weight. Con: Occasionally sex will be uncomfortable. Its not bad enough to switch, because I've had too many problems with other meds."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Took viorele for 2 months and I had to stop. Started taking the pill when my period started and my period went on for 4 weeks (medium bleeding). I also got nauseous after taking the first pack. Nausea and long bleedings stopped with the second pack. However, with the second pack I was very moody, I had this uncontrollable anger and being so angry made me cry so much. Planning to switch to a lower dose pill. Being off the pill for 2 weeks, I can feel the difference. Even my boyfriend notices. I feel like I am no longer angry and moody all the time."

First time user (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started taking this pill about a year ago and it's been complete hell since I started. The first week and half, I'm unbearable nauseous and hardly have an appetite. At first I thought these symptoms would subside, but they never did. The next week and half, I'm cursed with almost extreme PMS symptoms. Ridiculous bloating, awful acne, breast pain; you name it. My periods last an entire week and I get debilitating cramps, so bad to where they make me sick the first few days. I tried to wait it out the year but it's only gotten worse. This birth control has given me the worst anxiety, migraines, heart palpitations, and I'm dizzy constantly. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, not even my worst enemies. Please be cautious when using this."

mikaelaaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this meds due to my body not having the hormones to stop my period. Now I'm back on it after I quit it to have children. No other birth control is as good. Bad side effects, facial hair and my periods are heavy. Good side, not pregnant, mood is better, less menstrual cramps then on other pills."

Psychosinger2285 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on viorele for the past year and a half. At first, it was great! It got rid of my cramps, it regulated my period, and it worked in respects to preventing pregnancy, but for the past 6 months, I experienced a severe decrease in my libido, almost it was nonexistent. When I did want to have sex, I experienced severe pain, which I didn't experience prior. I was agitated and my anxiety and depression were worse. I'm now looking for a different birth control."

sadperson (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017