User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

"I have taken this less then a month and it's affected me majorly I have migraines constantly, my breast are super sensitive and my boyfriend has probably almost broken up with me 3 times now due to massive mood swings. I suicidal thoughts and my nightmares have gotten way out of hand I had night mares a lot before but now it's every night I even wake up sobbing some times do not recommend this what so ever"

Shelbylauren April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on reclipsen for years now. It's been horrible, but I've felt trapped to stay on it. I do not believe in IUDs & many other forms of birth control so my primary care doctor felt this low dose would be best. We've never had any unwanted pregnancy, so it's effective in that manner. But here are all the issues I've had with it: mood swings, depression, anxiety, emotional instability overall, low sex drive, vaginal dryness & migraines. I'll be getting off of it soon with the guidance of a new obgyn."

Gmcc223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So I started taking Reclipsen about four months ago. At first, everything was fine. My periods became regular and tolerable and the oiliness of my skin went down. However, about a month ago, I started experiencing horrible mood swings. I already had depression and anxiety but this greatly exacerbated the issue. I started snapping at people, crying, and having suicidal thoughts. I went to a doctor for mood stabilizers and it was almost impossible to find one that didn't react with the Reclipsen. I ruined numerous relationships during that time. I stopped taking it and within one day I felt calmer. I'm definitely not taking it again and will be looking at an IUD."

saradee93 April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Reclipsen for 1 month as of next Sunday, and i must point out that there are some downfalls of this birth control. Reclipsen does work very well as a reliable birth control method as long as you follow the instructions that come with the medication (taking one pill once a day at the same time daily). However, since a few days after I began taking reclipsen, I've been running into some issues concerning painful headaches and acne flare ups. I've been on Ortho-Tri Cyclen birth control pill in the past, & I do not remember having any issues as far as headaches or acne while I was on that medication. Reclipsen is reliable, but do beware because you may receive some uncomfortable side affects when beginning this medication."

taylorbmckinney April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Started taking Reclipsen three months ago and it was horrible. It brought on anxiety and intense mood swings along with depression, I'm finally getting off of it but do not buy this if you already have anxiety!"

Sad:( April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I an 18 this is my 3rd birth control I tried in a year, Did the job but I definitely noticed a lower sex drive and feeling super emotional. Crying at the thought of things and became super sensitive. I'm hoping to switch to one that suits me better as it emotionally draining being so emotional and sensitive, which has effected my relationship time to time because everything bothers me. I can become very irritable as well. Overall not great not horrible.."

...... (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Terrible!! I was spotting the entire time I was on this birth control pill so obviously not effective. Would not recommend, only got put on this version because my insurance didn't cover my other brand. Will be paying out of pocket and switching back."

ReEeena April 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Apri did what it was supposed to do. But during the few months that I had it I was very depressed and had dark thoughts. I would cry for a week straight for no reason. I also had no sex drive. It affected me and my relationship. Now I switched from it and feel much better. No weight gain or other side affects. Regular periods, lighter than before. Each birth control affects people differently but this one was not the one from me."

Anon555555555555 March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Apri for almost a year now and only recently decided to switch, not because Apri was terrible. Apri cleared my skin pretty well, I mean I still break out but it's a lot better. My periods were shorter and I didn't experience any weight gain at all. I think my boobs got bigger but I am not sure if that was the pill or just nature because I started it at 18. I can't say if it helped prevent pregnancy because I am not sexually active. My only negative experience with this pill was my mood. I was overly sensitive and I believe it caused problems for me. My family noticed a huge change in my attitude, so I had to learn to control it, which I can do relatively well now. But I still want to switch to see a more positive change"

Beks6788 March 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Apri for about six months now and it's been a rollercoaster. This is the first birth control that I have experience with, so I decided to give it 5 stars because it's done some good for me and some not so good. I have had bad acne for the past 10+ years, so when I first started taking Apri and the acne subsided I was thrilled. I like having regular, track-able periods, but I suppose you'd have that with any birth control. The downside is the absolutely AWFUL mood swings, and I mean awful. I'm typically a very happy, joke-y person, but while on this medication I've noticed that I can get into funks of terrible irritability and sadness for no reason. I will be discussing different options with my doctor next time I see her."

Bubzie March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started this pill a week ago due to Stage 3 Endometriosis. I am having pregancy like nausea. It is all day. The only way to fix it is to continually eat. If I did that I would pack on the pounds. It is also making me feel weird in my head. Like I cannot focus. I would not recommend this at all."

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took this pill for 4 months thinking my body will get use to it but it only got worse. I have been taking different birth control pills for about 6 years now and never have I ever had the symptoms that I had on this pill. My periods were heavy and lasted 7 plus days. I had intense cramps to the point that I couldn't move and had to practice breathing exercises. I had blood clots that were the size of quarters or bigger. It may have just been my body but I will not go back to this pill."

No thanks (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "(I've been on Apri for the last year) Side Effects: 1) horrible mood swings 2) irrational thoughts 3) weight gain 4) depression 5) constantly fatigued 6) decreased sex drive"

Viiiii (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So I've only been on this pill for a month. Before this, I was on Yasmin for a month, and before that, I was on Junel Fe for 4 months, and before that, Lo Loestrin Fe for 2 months. I know it's still pretty early, but so far it is a great pill. On Yasmin, I was a monster. My temperament is usually very laid-back and carefree, but I was an emotional, depressed mess. After switching to Apri, it almost feels like an antidepressant for me. I'm in such a happy, good mood all the time. So far, I've only gotten sad one day the week before my period week, where I cried a little, but nothing compared to last month on Yasmin. So far no weight gain either, my skin hasn't broken out on this, and my boobs are getting bigger (plus for me, being an A cup)."

whatisthisnow March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I loved being on Reclipsen. I started taking it when I was 20 and had no side effects, probably because I was active in college and had other things to distract me. I'm now 26 and stopped taking Reclipsen so my husband and I can start trying for a baby, so far the effects of coming off Reclipsen have been horrible. I can't wait to get pregnant and have babies so I can go back on Reclipsen!"

Reclipsenlova February 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this pill for 3 months and am now switching. I didn't get pregnant so that's the only advantage. My mood swings were out of wack when I first started the pill. I have headaches, am tired all the time, tender boobs, severe cramping, bad acne and heavy periods. I ended up with a cyst in my left boob too. My sex drive increased and I was more wet during intercourse than my last pill. Everyone's body is different, this one wasn't right for me."

Madi3005 February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been in Velivet for about 2 years now because of painful, heavy and irregular periods. I've tried others that were too strong. This one has worked until the last month. I've noticed that my cramping has came back and it has taken my sex drive away completely! Which is NOT good"

torrob2003 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Kept me from getting pregnant and was easy to remember to take because of packaging, but it made me nauseous in the morning for the first couple of months."

LMoster (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "When I first started it I got really emotional & would get irritated easily but that all subsided after the first month or so. No weight gain, no acne, no pregnancy lol. But about the only downfall to this medication is that if I don't eat quite a bit right before I take it, I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling nauseous & not able to go back to sleep. I can't just eat a cracker or some chips & take it, my stomach has to be full. Different medications effect everyone differently so that might just be me but I'm kinda curious as to whether anyone else has had this side effect from this medication?"

Brittnayyyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on several different types of BC that all made me nauseous/vomit until I found Mircette. I had absolutely no side effects with this pill. The only reason I stopped taking it was because my husband and I wanted to start a family. I stopped taking the pill in August and we conceived in October so it had no effect on my fertility. I plan on taking this pill again as soon as I finish breastfeeding."

hibiscusRN (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "The worst experience ever. Deep depression and I've never had issues with depression in my life. I was seriously a mess."

AJ1979 February 17, 2017

"Terrible. Enough said."

Jwhwbeheiwiw (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Horrible. Horrible. Horrible!!! Do NOT take reclipsen. I'm finishing off my 2nd week and I've been miserable! My heart rate has been crazy. I've been having panic attacks that I haven't had in a long time. I've had a migraine for 2 days now. Nothing will make it go away. I've basically OD on headache medicine. I've felt so dizzy and light headed. My depression has came back. Screwed up my sleep. Super nauseous. No appetite. Some people say they've gained weight, but I've lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks, NOT the healthy way. I've been so miserable and it's sooo not worth it!! Save yourself and DO NOT TRY IT!!!!!!"

Hannahhhh February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am not happy with reclipsen. I have gained a ton of weight in the last 3 months I have been on it, I get super nauseous in the mornings, and I have one extremely bad migraine on the last day of the pills. I changed to reclipsen because my other BC was giving me headaches. Now I'm fat and have zero sex drive. I am going to stop reclipsen asap."

Jenbo321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I mainly got on birth control to clear up my acne; the breakouts weren't too bad, but definitely pesty. Juleber didn't really help much with my skin. Actually, it stayed the same over my 12 months of using it. As far as a contraceptive it does the job. Just wish I could have gotten some of the positive skin clearing results many people seem to get."

Joy414 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017