User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kalliga, Kariva, Kimidess, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So far, I haven't had any problems with Apri. At first my feet swelled a little bit, and I was kind of bloated but that all went sway after the first pack. I've had Nexplanon which was the WORST birth control I could've ever got. It cause SO many health problems for me, mostly stomach problems. It made me lose a ton of weight, which wasn't very healthy for a 15 year old. I was on the Depo shot, and that made my moods CRAZY. I have pretty bad anxiety already, and the shot pretty much made it worse. I don't take any medications for my anxiety, because I don't believe I need to but I had to with the depo shot. It made me gain about 15 pounds, so I'm basically back to where I was 3 years ago before Nexplanon. Apri has been the best for me yet."

Anonymous 3 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was only on the pack for one month and had to stop as soon as I started the second one. During the sugar pill week, I had severe migraines which is something I never get. Those continued and then nausea was added to it. I threw up the other day and it looked as if I didn't digest any of my food from that day. This is definitely just a personal experience, but I am also definitely going off this pill asap. I got my period for 6 days so I'm definitely not pregnant. (Also took two pregnancy tests as an extra test) If you're looking for a pill, I would try a different brand."

user28474839394 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been taking Azurette for 3 years now and I couldn't of found a better birth control option. It took me maybe a month to get use to but since then I don't ever have any adverse/side effects. The only downside to the pill is on the sugar pill week I tend to be more moody and irritable than normal. However, it has been super effective in preventing pregnant and regulating my normally horrendous periods that I use to have. My periods are much lighter and bearable. I would definitely recommend azurette to someone else."

Cass01111 July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this birth control for one year exactly and I mainly went on this for my skin but I didn't notice anything different with my acne when I was on it compared to when I didn't take birth control. The only thing I can say was that around the time I got my period, my face was the clearest it ever was and then as soon as my period stopped, I began to breakout again. I think with this birth control I did gain weight, probably around 15-20 pounds. It also made me very moody. I never got so upset/mad as easily as I did when I was on this. I felt like an emotional wreck at times because I would get mad so easily and I hated it. I decided that this birth control, while effective for preventing pregnancies, was not for me."

wtak (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've posted here a few month ago and it's an update. I'm starting the 4th pack now, and almost everything I was complaining about went away! During the first few months I've gained around 10 lbs, my boobs became much larger (that was super uncomfortable, bc they're large anyways), I felt a little depressed and tired (nothing I couldn't handle though, I've been living my normal life). I couldn't work as hard as I wanted. Now I've lost all the weight I've gained and me is me again. Feels like magic. Also my tastes for food changed a bit. Something I loved does not taste good for me anymore, it's strange, but fun to experience."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "At the beginning, Kariva seemed to be working well, my skin started to clear up, lighter periods, and emotional stabilization. However, once I started my second pack, my emotional state felt off. I didn't realize that it could be the pill I was taking, so I continued to use it. I felt very depressed, and sad, and on the verge of crying most times. Once I told my doctor, I changed to Blisovi 24 Fe and my emotional state began to change in a positive way!"

HanaBanana June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is yet another update. Just finished my 4th pack. Worst experience ever in all of the birth controls I've tried combined. Like I said in my previous review, I was on loestrin fe, junel, and yasmin. This last pack made me start bleeding during the 3rd active pill week. Progressed into probably the heaviest period I've ever had. Made me nauseous and weak from the excessive blood loss. And made me so gassy to the point I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'm still on my period now, and it's been 2 weeks of non stop bleeding. I constantly feel like passing out. Asking my doc to switch to something else."

Lolitaagain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on reclipsen for less than 2 weeks and it caused blood clots. I had DVT and Pulmonary Embolisms. I'm one of the lucky ones that lived through those diagnoses. I had taken other BC on the past and always had terrible side effects but never had an issue with clots. I also have no other contributing factors besides being overweight. I was 26 and never smoked in my life. No genetic issues either. I advise everyone to be careful when considering any birth control option. Know the signs of blood clots. It could save your life. "

ABaldwin June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "First month was absolutely horrible. This is my first birth control pill. The nausea seemed to occur 2 hrs after taking the pill (I take it at 3pm everyday). I was also unmotivated and felt like my back ached all the time. Then it got better. I don't get headaches anymore. But looking back, I definitely gained weight, like A LOT. I didn't lose my sex drive. Anyway, I'm okay now."

Ica H June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Apri for 4 months, I'm 20 years old. This is my 5th overall birth control but the best yet. I have had some over emotional moments or as I call them "birth control" cries but nothing terrible. My appetite isn't out of control, on my period though is another story. On this particular pill my period in much longer, around 8-10 days. Sex drive is pretty normal, and weight gain has not been out of control, as long as I watch my diet and get my steps in every day I stay in the 120-130 range."

lydiaME234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking Velivet for about a year now because I started to have periods that lasted all month which resulted in anemia. My only complaint is that the cramps are quite bad, but it's done its job for me, so I can't complain!"

Ani4343435343 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Gives me heartburn and indigestion. Also makes me nauseous. Prefer the depo shot, wish it was for more long term."

Kt639696 June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "After 3 days of starting this new birth control, I was feeling nauseous. This lasted for a few days. Also, I've been bleeding for almost 3 weeks now. It's not heavy, but its tiresome and getting costly to keep buying panty liners all the time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm half way through my third pack and my face has been continuously breaking out so bad since I started taking Apri. My complexion is literally better off it, rather than on it. However, it has helped my periods but if my skin is still bad after I finish this pack, I'm switching to a different pill."

jessicalsullivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is more of an update. Been on this for a full 3 months now, about to go on my 4th. I've always had terrible periods (cramps, heaviness, fatigue, moodiness) so I was hoping the pill could relieve some of those symptoms. So far, I've found all of the pills I've tried so far (loestrin fe, junel, yasmin) haven't done a whole lot to rid of these symptoms. Apri is the same. Although my period is more predictable and more manageable in terms of pain, my 2nd and 3rd day of period is still very heavy and I still cramp a whole lot on the 2nd day. Made my skin clearer, and no problems of weight gain either. I also am not as moody as I was on yasmin. And no pregnancies yet, although a couple of scares since this pill can mimic pregnancy symptoms."

Lolitaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Love it! Been continuously dosing without breaking for menstruation for almost two years due to extremely difficult/painful menstrual cycles, emotional trouble, etc. This pill smoothed all of that out! Spotting for a few months once going on, but rarely have issues now. Cleared up my skin perfectly. Two down sides: total libido killer (I feel like a robot sometimes), and a bit of weight gain. The weight gain actually didn't happen for the first year, so I'm not totally certain that the pill was the cause. Maybe it was the pill mixed with extremely stressful past 6+ months and overeating from stress. I'll gladly take emotional normalcy and no dependence on painkillers in exchange for the downsides!"

SammieB May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Taking this to move my cycle over. My periods are typically 4 supersoaker days with some cramping -2 days. My first month on this hellbent pill was constant cramping+nausea, 25 days of bleeding, and horrid mood swings, dark thoughts, deja vu and dizzy spells. Doc had me double up for the rest of this packet, now the bleeding is just sparse spots. BF is relieved to finally have sex, though it's painful because now I have low estrogen. Begged the doc to switch me to a different pill brand."

30F (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this pill for 4 years. I switched to this one because my previous ones caused me to gain weight. These pills do not cause me to gain weight and keep my skin flawless. However, I think they recently made a more generic version of the pills and switched packaging and everything and for these last three months I've been loosing my temper and really emotional. I have no sex drive also. I am going to have to switch pills. But for the first few years of my life, they've been good"

Anonymous May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this prescription for 5+ years. I have never had any issues. My pharmacy tried to change to Mylan - Ethinyl Estradiol which made me very moody and anxious. I tried Teva - Kariva and couldn't sleep. I really like Azurette but hear its being discontinued."

malamutemom (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So I've been on this birth control a little over a month, and now that I read some of the reviews I know I'm not crazy. This pill makes you feel depressed. I'm on the second pack and skipped the sugar pill because I did that with the first birth control I was on and my periods went away. Now I haven't got an actual period but I've been spotting for about 5 days now. Two of days I noticed more blood but still not a lot my regular periods are usually 5 days long so hopefully this is the last day of this weird bleeding. Also the blood looks different first it was very light like a pinkest color, than brown, the back to that light pink color then dark red and looks watery."

Audrid1234 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So far it's been my first week taking it and I am not impressed. I've been nauseous everyday this week, gotten severe headaches, and now I am worried that my relationship is gonna be ruined because of the side effects this pill has on me. It's making me look and act like a total cow. which I'm usually not. I'm also very annoyed that my doctor switched me to this without warning. Jublier is a better brand."

Mothma May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been taking apri for 3 months; First 2 periods were fine no cramps, pretty normal. My last period I had was the worst period I ever had. Was extremely heavy, no cramps but the heaviest period I've ever had. My boyfriend says he's noticed changes in my mood, I'm very irritable and sad all the time. I feel bloated all the time, I've gained weight in my face and stomach. My acne seems to be the same few break outs here and there. Some days I have a very low sex drive, some days very high. Overall it works, just makes you feel super insecure. Was doing fine for years without birth control I think I'll be fine for another few years without it."

..... (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Reclipsen for a month. I started it to see if it would decrease my flow and cramps. My mood dropped drastically when I first started. Depression usually last for a period time, so I wasn't depressed. However, my mood was very low to the point that it was scary. When my period came it felt like the worst ever. My flow and cramps were bad. I have other side effects as well, such as nausea and headaches. I'm going to see if my body adjust to it for two more months only because I need a solution for my periods. I've been on birth control in the past and I've never had these side effects."

Ferie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "For the 3 years I was on it I had ravenous hunger, low blood sugar crashes, low libido, stress, and anxiety. I had just quit smoking and wasn't used to eating instead of having a cigarette. I started on Ortho Lo. I thought I was just stressed with finishing school but the moodiness didn't stop so after a few months they put me on Reclipsen. The nurse told me it was her favorite one and I wouldn't feel a thing bc it was a monophase and wouldn't make my hormones jump around ...like they are Supposed to naturally a few times per month. Looking back I just wish I had realized it wasn't "Me handling life so weak and vulnerable." It was the pill. Hormones cause feelings. BC pills have FAKE hormones!"

MistyT May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am taking the second cycle now. In general, I'm happy with my experience so far and I'll keep taking it. Negative sides. During the first week, I felt sick to my stomach all the time and I was supertired, but it went away. During the third week, I had mood swings and felt depressed, but I always feel this way a week before my period, so it was normal to me. Also my boobs became larger and it's a little painful to touch them, but that's okay. Positive sides. It feels really good not to worry about becoming pregnant. My sex drive is the same or even increased, weight is the same, appetite doesn't seem to increase. Period is less heavy, skin is better, acne is disappearing."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017