User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This pill is overall good. It made me have perfect skin, lighter and shorter periods etc. It also made my breasts grow two sizes and they would be very tender a lot of the time. But the bad outweighed the good. I was very moody, when I was PMSing people couldn't be around me. It made me cry over everything. Also, I couldn't drink! Even after one shot, or a glass of wine I would feel very nauseous and immediately throw up. I didn't think it was the pill at first, I was on it for over a year, but then when I got off of the pill I was able to drink again normally and wouldn't throw up at all...so I had an alcohol intolerance because of the pill."

Sheila G. December 2, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "For the most part, my experience on this medication has been very positive. It makes me feel better, my skin has cleared up, and my hair and nails even look healthier. However, I have noticed some weight gain (10 lbs) or so and I cannot seem to lose it. However, compared to other medications this is one of the few I can tolerate."

Starlight1234 November 30, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is one of those drugs that sneak up on you been on this shit for 8 months the first couple months I felt fine but by the 6th month I started having horrible pregnancy symptoms even though I wasn't pregnant and overall I've had anxiety attacks depression spells and I've gained water weight from the pills. I have no sex drive whatsoever. I've been on other pills and they almost killed me with allergic reactions or panic attacks."

Ceezee November 28, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "completely lost every bit of sex drive i had. gained about 10 pounds, mostly in my breast. helped my acne slightly."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This birth control failed and I am due in May. Do NOT take this birth control as it leads to childbirth and mood swings. I hope this helps."

Marie Lou (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My doc prescribed this for endometriosis. I've tried other bc pills and right away they either made me depressed, nauseated, made my period last for weeks, gain weight, breasts ballooned up and were painful, cramps every day, acne, pretty much every awful side effect you can think of. But thankfully NOT on this pill. There has been zero side effects. Maybe for the first week I experienced mood swings at the same time at night when I took the pill but it didn't last if that was related to it. I only gave it 9 out of 10 because I've just started the second month and I'm keeping an open mind in case things were to change. But I'm so thrilled with it so far and I hope it holds up!"

Ames123 November 21, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was switched from Loestrin 21 to Apri a few months back because my periods were irregular and my doc thought Apri would be better for me. I like that there's placebo pills in Apri cause I was awful at taking 21 day packs. The first couple months were a little tough adjusting to the higher dose of hormones. I was super emotional! But that's normal. I'm on month 5 now and things are fine. I'm still a little emotional, but only "cry at something dumb" emotional. Nothing I can't handle. My periods are light and I barely have any pain. Close to no acne. My boobs seemed to have grown a bit, so that's cool. My sex drive seems to be a tiny bit lower, but I never had a crazy high sex drive in the first place. My husband and I still have a healthy sex life. I might have gained like 5 pounds or less but that might be because of my lazy ass and not the birth control :) best of all, I haven't gotten pregnant! I recommend Apri. Give it a chance and let yourself adjust to the hormones."

AllynApri November 21, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this pill for about 2 and a half years now. I started taking it when I was 16 and I'm now 19. It's been my first and only birth control and I was put on it because I had insanely irregular periods. My periods were always super heavy and lasted around 7 days. This made me completely regular, gave me way lighter periods that last at most 5 days, lowered my mood swings and reduced my cramps. I've never once experienced any nausea or negative side effects from taking the pill. Everyone's gotta find the right pill for them and this is definitely mine."

Freakfury November 18, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been taking Viorele for a little over two years. I started out with a prescription for Kariva but CVS gave me the generic version which is Viorele. I was really impressed at first because my face was very clear and my horrible cramps and back aches from my period went away. After a few months I gained 20 pounds and 2 cup sizes and became very depressed and anxious. I did not know that Viorele was the cause of this until I went to my doctor. I just switched to a different birth control and I am waiting to see if there is a difference. Overall this was great for acne and cramping but the depression and weight gain was not worth it."

running247girl November 17, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So, I took this birth control for 3 years. Did it's job in terms of preventing pregnancy, but at a horrible cost. I gained over 30 lbs, had terrible nausea, mood swings, anxiety, depression, headaches, almost NO libido, you name it. It wasn't until I got off the pill completely to give myself a break from the constant stream of hormones that is birth control that I realized all of the issues I was experiencing was all the pill, not me. After 2 months off of the pill, all of the aforementioned issues have disappeared. CONSUMER BEWARE. Not worth it. When I do decide to go back on birth control, it will NOT be Viorele."

Gigiii (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2016

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Overall, I really enjoy this pill. I have not gotten pregnant. I have not had abnormal mood swings or a change in sex drive. In fact this pill seemed to clear up my hormonal acne pretty well! The only problem I've had is an increase in appetite. But, controlling what I eat is in my control so I don't really care too much about this side effect."

arteesttt November 16, 2016

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on this birth control for 8 months and it wasn't until now that I realized my emotions were gone. I'd either feel extreme anger or extreme apathy and nothingness. It made my cramps worse, I constantly got spotting days before my scheduled period. Do not take this."

redpanda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 16, 2016

"I started taking birth control because my doctor recommended it as a way to increase my bone density. As a 19 year old, having extremely brittle bones posed a problem, as it was preventing me from being active. I was told I had to take an estrogen supplement, or I would face frequent fractures for the rest of my life. I have not had a good experience on this pill. I constantly felt nauseous for the first month, and then felt really bloated. I feel like I have been bloated for the past 3 months and it won't go away. I also have felt really tired and irritable. I get bad migraines now when I'm on my period and feel really sluggish. On the positive side, my bone density is increasing and I haven't had a single fracture since I started the pill"

Clmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was 17 when I used apri 21 .now 20 ..It releived my irregular periods BUT I also got multiple blood clots in the lungs and are now infertile this medication nearly killed me this shouldn't be sold"

BrokenHippie. November 11, 2016

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This is the worst! I have taken Desogen and Apri, but switched to Enskyce a few months ago when it was cheaper and it was supposed to be the same. But enskyce has made me bloated, retain water (take diuretics for this) and I had breakthrough bleeding at all different times of the month. Can't wait to finish off these last packs and swtich to something I like again, even if it costs more. Don't get Enskyce!"

Nancy B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2016

"I took Azurette for one week & I had to stop. I was nauseous constantly! All day & night. I had no appetite, tired, constipated, moody & severe itching around my vulva. The itching stopped 2 days after I took the last pill but the rest of the symptoms are still strong and I haven't taken a pill since Friday. When does it stop??"

Lashawn- November 8, 2016

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Pt. 2: My face still hasn't calmed down. The last bad side effect ....I've gained weight. In the matter of 3 weeks idk how it can work so fast but my mother sat me down one day and asked me why do I look...like a balloon and I just started crying. On the other hand, I had no spotting, my sex drive was still fine. I wish I could rate this -2000 and not just a 1. "

Didigee12 (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Cyred (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Pt. 1: This birth control started ruining my life. I only took it for 3 weeks because I couldn't stand it anymore. Literally on day 3 I started getting powerful migraines, I couldn't sleep from them, my eyes would tear up, I started taking at least 4 Advil on the daily for them to be BEARABLE. Then I started feeling like pure rubbish, even more depressed than before. I wanted to slap everyone around me. You couldn't even talk to me. Now on to my face My Face Broke Out Like Pure Hell. I've been off of it for a week and the breakouts on my jaw (and even around my nose which never happened) are plentiful and SO RED."

Didigee12 November 4, 2016

Caziant (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Let me preface this by saying I have taken many different kinds of birth control pills throughout my teen and adult years. This is by far the BEST bcp for my cystic, hormonal acne. I've also taken Cyclessa which is in the same family (desogestrel & triphasic) with the same results. Any time I went off of Caziant to "switch it up" was when I started breaking out horribly in cystic bumps. If you suffer from hormonal acne, definitely give Caziant a try. Other benefits are light & short periods, very mild mood swings, normal sex drive, no weight gain."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I haven't taken any BC in 5 years since the birth of my daughter. Before that I was on ortho tri-cyclen which was great and I never had any symptoms. My doc recommended Reclipsen since it's the same amount of hormones each day and the other one I mentioned has different hormone levels each week. I've been on this pill a total of 2 weeks and I feel nauseous, no appetite, exhausted, stomach cramps, boobs are sore, and weak. I get a weird chest pain sometimes and my anxiety is crazy high. I also feel so moody. Everything bothers me and sometimes I feel like I can't breathe. My face has been breaking out more than when I wasn't taking the pill. I AM NOT TAKING THIS PILL ANYMORE ! I barely feel bad side affects like this with medications."

HateTHISAlso November 2, 2016

"Caused extreme vaginal dryness for me"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Seems fine so far. Half way into my second pack and no changes except I'm not pregnant!"

Seems to do it's job. (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

"I have used Cerelle for 9 days I feel very good. I used because I had bad migrenes while period. No headache. My mood is good stable"

iwo87 October 28, 2016

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "After trying four other types with horrible side effects, Velivet was a welcome improvement. First month was a bit moody and had spotting but after that my very irregular period (weeks off) became regular almost to the hour. I did not gain weight and have minimal decreased appetite. Doesn't seem to have a strong effect on my sex drive either way. Almost entirely cleared up my acne outside of a touch right before I get my period. Horrible cramps that would me bed ridden are mostly gone. Just have moderate cramps for 24 hours after first getting my period. Period only lasts 3-4 days now compared to 5-7 before."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Started this years ago due to a cyst that formed on my ovary. Stopped taking it after the cyst got smaller and eventually dissolved. A few yrs later I spoke with my doctor about starting back on birth control. He put me on another pill for 3 months but I hated it. Had mood swings, irregular periods etc. Told him about what I was experiencing and he said my body had to adjust. Tried it for 2 more months and still had bad symptoms so I requested to be put back on reclipsen. It has worked really well. My periods are regular and no adverse effects. I have now been on this consistently for several years."

Crissy413 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2016