User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 23 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this pill for 4 years. I switched to this one because my previous ones caused me to gain weight. These pills do not cause me to gain weight and keep my skin flawless. However, I think they recently made a more generic version of the pills and switched packaging and everything and for these last three months I've been loosing my temper and really emotional. I have no sex drive also. I am going to have to switch pills. But for the first few years of my life, they've been good"

Anonymous May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this prescription for 5+ years. I have never had any issues. My pharmacy tried to change to Mylan - Ethinyl Estradiol which made me very moody and anxious. I tried Teva - Kariva and couldn't sleep. I really like Azurette but hear its being discontinued."

malamutemom (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So I've been on this birth control a little over a month, and now that I read some of the reviews I know I'm not crazy. This pill makes you feel depressed. I'm on the second pack and skipped the sugar pill because I did that with the first birth control I was on and my periods went away. Now I haven't got an actual period but I've been spotting for about 5 days now. Two of days I noticed more blood but still not a lot my regular periods are usually 5 days long so hopefully this is the last day of this weird bleeding. Also the blood looks different first it was very light like a pinkest color, than brown, the back to that light pink color then dark red and looks watery."

Audrid1234 May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So far it's been my first week taking it and I am not impressed. I've been nauseous everyday this week, gotten severe headaches, and now I am worried that my relationship is gonna be ruined because of the side effects this pill has on me. It's making me look and act like a total cow. which I'm usually not. I'm also very annoyed that my doctor switched me to this without warning. Jublier is a better brand."

Mothma May 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been taking apri for 3 months; First 2 periods were fine no cramps, pretty normal. My last period I had was the worst period I ever had. Was extremely heavy, no cramps but the heaviest period I've ever had. My boyfriend says he's noticed changes in my mood, I'm very irritable and sad all the time. I feel bloated all the time, I've gained weight in my face and stomach. My acne seems to be the same few break outs here and there. Some days I have a very low sex drive, some days very high. Overall it works, just makes you feel super insecure. Was doing fine for years without birth control I think I'll be fine for another few years without it."

..... (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Reclipsen for a month. I started it to see if it would decrease my flow and cramps. My mood dropped drastically when I first started. Depression usually last for a period time, so I wasn't depressed. However, my mood was very low to the point that it was scary. When my period came it felt like the worst ever. My flow and cramps were bad. I have other side effects as well, such as nausea and headaches. I'm going to see if my body adjust to it for two more months only because I need a solution for my periods. I've been on birth control in the past and I've never had these side effects."

Ferie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "For the 3 years I was on it I had ravenous hunger, low blood sugar crashes, low libido, stress, and anxiety. I had just quit smoking and wasn't used to eating instead of having a cigarette. I started on Ortho Lo. I thought I was just stressed with finishing school but the moodiness didn't stop so after a few months they put me on Reclipsen. The nurse told me it was her favorite one and I wouldn't feel a thing bc it was a monophase and wouldn't make my hormones jump around ...like they are Supposed to naturally a few times per month. Looking back I just wish I had realized it wasn't "Me handling life so weak and vulnerable." It was the pill. Hormones cause feelings. BC pills have FAKE hormones!"

MistyT May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am taking the second cycle now. In general, I'm happy with my experience so far and I'll keep taking it. Negative sides. During the first week, I felt sick to my stomach all the time and I was supertired, but it went away. During the third week, I had mood swings and felt depressed, but I always feel this way a week before my period, so it was normal to me. Also my boobs became larger and it's a little painful to touch them, but that's okay. Positive sides. It feels really good not to worry about becoming pregnant. My sex drive is the same or even increased, weight is the same, appetite doesn't seem to increase. Period is less heavy, skin is better, acne is disappearing."

miuuim (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This birth control was horrible. I gained 20 pounds in the first 2 months and could not lose it. I told my OB several times it was due to the birth control and she told me birth control cannot make me gain weight. (LIES). 6 months in I started to suffer from anxiety and depression. Another 6 months later I started bleeding through super tampons in less than an hour and had cramping so bad I could not even move. It felt like back labor every time I had my period. I told my doctor and they told me it could not be the birth control, it must be endometriosis and wanted to treat me with some shot and open me up to look. I said enough and switched BCs. Lost 10 lbs in 6 days, depression was gone, and no more heavy cramping and bleeding. never again."

BeautifulPhoenix (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I take the pill at the same time every day and it has been effective in preventing pregnancies, however my sex drive is now non-existent whereas before I had an extremely high sex drive. I also have vaginal dryness now which is very annoying. Haven't had any other issues besides that but it is frustrating to deal with at times."

LK21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Within a week of taking this I've been puking, had no appetite, and had insomnia. It's going in the trash, I'd rather get pregnant than deal with this. I've also had SEVERE mood swings, and a fever on and off. Not sure how this stuff is even legal."

wouldrathergetpregnant (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on Apri for about a year. The first few months I would randomly get hot and feel like I was going to vomit. That went away after a few months. I never got pregnant but also used the pull out method. I was just hospitalized for two blood clots in my right arm and pulmonary embolisms. My doctor thinks the birth control is what has done this. I don't think I will ever take birth control again, not sure what to do now because I don't want children right now. I am a healthy 25 year old woman who should not have blood clots and so far they have found no other reason why I would have blood clots. Birth control is dangerous!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This was my first birth control brand so I don't have experience with other brands to compare it to, but I had some issues. I had heavy, two week long periods on this pill, sometimes even longer. Thinking this would eventually level off I stayed on it for a year but it never did. Needless to say, I've had more than enough of that! Also, on this pill I felt paranoid about things that I never worried about before, I kept thinking something awful would happen whenever I left the house. I just switched bands so I'm hoping these symptoms stop, especially the paranoia and anxiety. On the plus, my skin never looked better and while the periods were long, I had minimal cramping."

Ziggyoo1 May 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken this less then a month and it's affected me majorly I have migraines constantly, my breast are super sensitive and my boyfriend has probably almost broken up with me 3 times now due to massive mood swings. I suicidal thoughts and my nightmares have gotten way out of hand I had night mares a lot before but now it's every night I even wake up sobbing some times do not recommend this what so ever"

Shelbylauren April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on reclipsen for years now. It's been horrible, but I've felt trapped to stay on it. I do not believe in IUDs & many other forms of birth control so my primary care doctor felt this low dose would be best. We've never had any unwanted pregnancy, so it's effective in that manner. But here are all the issues I've had with it: mood swings, depression, anxiety, emotional instability overall, low sex drive, vaginal dryness & migraines. I'll be getting off of it soon with the guidance of a new obgyn."

Gmcc223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "So I started taking Reclipsen about four months ago. At first, everything was fine. My periods became regular and tolerable and the oiliness of my skin went down. However, about a month ago, I started experiencing horrible mood swings. I already had depression and anxiety but this greatly exacerbated the issue. I started snapping at people, crying, and having suicidal thoughts. I went to a doctor for mood stabilizers and it was almost impossible to find one that didn't react with the Reclipsen. I ruined numerous relationships during that time. I stopped taking it and within one day I felt calmer. I'm definitely not taking it again and will be looking at an IUD."

saradee93 April 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Reclipsen for 1 month as of next Sunday, and i must point out that there are some downfalls of this birth control. Reclipsen does work very well as a reliable birth control method as long as you follow the instructions that come with the medication (taking one pill once a day at the same time daily). However, since a few days after I began taking reclipsen, I've been running into some issues concerning painful headaches and acne flare ups. I've been on Ortho-Tri Cyclen birth control pill in the past, & I do not remember having any issues as far as headaches or acne while I was on that medication. Reclipsen is reliable, but do beware because you may receive some uncomfortable side affects when beginning this medication."

taylorbmckinney April 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Started taking Reclipsen three months ago and it was horrible. It brought on anxiety and intense mood swings along with depression, I'm finally getting off of it but do not buy this if you already have anxiety!"

Sad:( April 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I an 18 this is my 3rd birth control I tried in a year, Did the job but I definitely noticed a lower sex drive and feeling super emotional. Crying at the thought of things and became super sensitive. I'm hoping to switch to one that suits me better as it emotionally draining being so emotional and sensitive, which has effected my relationship time to time because everything bothers me. I can become very irritable as well. Overall not great not horrible.."

...... (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Terrible!! I was spotting the entire time I was on this birth control pill so obviously not effective. Would not recommend, only got put on this version because my insurance didn't cover my other brand. Will be paying out of pocket and switching back."

ReEeena April 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Apri did what it was supposed to do. But during the few months that I had it I was very depressed and had dark thoughts. I would cry for a week straight for no reason. I also had no sex drive. It affected me and my relationship. Now I switched from it and feel much better. No weight gain or other side affects. Regular periods, lighter than before. Each birth control affects people differently but this one was not the one from me."

Anon555555555555 March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Apri for almost a year now and only recently decided to switch, not because Apri was terrible. Apri cleared my skin pretty well, I mean I still break out but it's a lot better. My periods were shorter and I didn't experience any weight gain at all. I think my boobs got bigger but I am not sure if that was the pill or just nature because I started it at 18. I can't say if it helped prevent pregnancy because I am not sexually active. My only negative experience with this pill was my mood. I was overly sensitive and I believe it caused problems for me. My family noticed a huge change in my attitude, so I had to learn to control it, which I can do relatively well now. But I still want to switch to see a more positive change"

Beks6788 March 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Apri for about six months now and it's been a rollercoaster. This is the first birth control that I have experience with, so I decided to give it 5 stars because it's done some good for me and some not so good. I have had bad acne for the past 10+ years, so when I first started taking Apri and the acne subsided I was thrilled. I like having regular, track-able periods, but I suppose you'd have that with any birth control. The downside is the absolutely AWFUL mood swings, and I mean awful. I'm typically a very happy, joke-y person, but while on this medication I've noticed that I can get into funks of terrible irritability and sadness for no reason. I will be discussing different options with my doctor next time I see her."

Bubzie March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started this pill a week ago due to Stage 3 Endometriosis. I am having pregancy like nausea. It is all day. The only way to fix it is to continually eat. If I did that I would pack on the pounds. It is also making me feel weird in my head. Like I cannot focus. I would not recommend this at all."

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Juleber (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I took this pill for 4 months thinking my body will get use to it but it only got worse. I have been taking different birth control pills for about 6 years now and never have I ever had the symptoms that I had on this pill. My periods were heavy and lasted 7 plus days. I had intense cramps to the point that I couldn't move and had to practice breathing exercises. I had blood clots that were the size of quarters or bigger. It may have just been my body but I will not go back to this pill."

No thanks (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017