User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Enskyce, Kariva, Isibloom, Viorele, Desogen, Volnea, Cyclessa, Pimtrea, Cyred EQ, Velivet, Reclipsen, Emoquette, Cyred, Simliya, Kalliga Bekyree Caziant Kimidess Juleber …show all brand names

Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. 79% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

3boysnsm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 1, 2013

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I recently went back on this pill. I took this pills for the first time 3 years ago had no side effects. When off to have kids. I recently went back on and so far still very happy. I was on generess fe which made my face breakout very badly . Mircette has cleared it all up. No complaints at all I feel great on this pill. I also have PCOS so it's been helping me with that . Hope it continues to work as well as it is so far .”

Feral Dog February 25, 2014

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “Periods now occur on-time, every month (sometimes I don't have one, but generally I do), whereas before I never knew when it was coming and went as long as six months without one only to have the bathroom looking like a horror film for weeks on end when it finally came. My facial hair hasn't gone away, although I have noticed the stuff that grows back isn't as bristly.”

Shakiela November 27, 2010

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I have been taking Apri for the last month and a half and I like it. I am 19 and this is my first time on birth control, I am using it for PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have lost five pounds and my acne is starting to clear up. The only issues I have are the munchies since I'm trying to lose weight, but I just eat fruit or salad when I get super hungry like that. Hopefully things stay as great as they are. Wish you all the best of luck.”

Aly C · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2016

“I was diagnosed with PCOS and Clynical hyperandrogenism.I had gained 30 lbs in a short period of time, was getting excessive hair growth, and my acne was getting worse on my face and back.My periods were increasingly longer and heavier (15-20 days long, heavy with clots), and I was getting exhausted.My OBGYN prescribed me Azurette upon my PCOS diagnosis (we originally tried Nuvaring to address the period issues,but it did nothing to stop them or lighten them, and made my acne worse).I had asked her for contraceptive options that are best for PCOS and she suggested Azurette because of its anti androgen properties.It has worked to help me lose weight, my androgen levels are now normal, and I have much less acne.My periods are 100% normal now.”

Anonymous October 21, 2009

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I have been on it for 3 months now. No breakthrough bleeding at all. Short light period. Have had a few more headaches but nothing Advil won't take care of. Great results with this pill. A lot less moody than with other pills.”

Whitnie H. October 26, 2016

“I used to be on Orthocept and it was perfect for me, no side effects or weight gain. Then they stopped manufacturing it. I have been on Desogen for a little over a month to help treat my "thin PCOS" symptoms. It has really helped my mood and most of my symptoms, however, the only downside is the water retention. My breasts grew tremendously and I definitely have felt puffy and bloated, I know this is the water retention/fluid from the hormones. I'm really hoping it goes away, if not, I don't know what to do.”

Anonymous December 12, 2012

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I was prescribed Apri for my PCOS (polycystic overian syndrom) and have been taking it for 2 months now. Before taking it my periods were completely irregular. Never knew if they were going to be later or early if they were going to last 3 days, 7 days, 2 weeks, or a month. My cramps were horrible and could barely get out of bed. I am happy to say that Apri has helped with that. My cramps ( on a scale from 1-10 before Apri was about a 8-9) are not a 4 on the pain scale. I gave the Apri a 9 because for some reason ever since I started on Apri have been having a brown discharge during my menstrual cycles. If they continue I will contact my doctor to find out what is going on with that.”

Remelock April 17, 2013

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I was on Kariva for about three years. I took it because I am prone to migraines. The pill was great for regulating and lessening my menstruation cycle, however it did nothing to alleviate my migraines. I recently have switched to an IUD which has done the same but no migraines.”

Becca · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2021

“I have been through different birth controls since 14, to find out when I turned 20 that the reason they weren’t working was because I have PCOS. My GYN prescribed me Viorei (desogestrol and ethinyl estradiol) and have been on it the past year and been amazing. My periods are finally controlled, no mood swings (at least my boyfriend of 4 years says)”

AnoNImous · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

“After trying tri estarylla and loestrin, this has been the most effective. My moods are under control, I haven't gained a crazy amount of weight, and this gave me a regular period without crazy break through period. I did notice a tad bit more of acne after taking acutain but only a few here and there. I hope this continues to work!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2015

“I took Reclipsen for almost a year. I was having PCOS symptoms like acne, irregular periods and mood swings. It got rid of my acne and regulated my periods and mood, so it did work for me. However, it made my breasts so horribly sore for at least half of every month. Also I had to start using clinical strength deodorant which still wasn't strong enough and I got migraines more often than normal.”

Kay1991m January 27, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “I got severe lower back pain very soon after starting this which continued the entire time I was taking it. Frequent (at least 3x a week) migraines, increased appetite and weight gain, and a mysterious breast lump”

82801 April 8, 2015

“I am having a severe allergic reaction to this medicine. Retaining water, horrible headaches, and severely high blood pressure and I was only on it for 9 days. I also noticed in this time (in comparison to other BC pulls I've taken before) that my facial hair growth didn't slow down, it actually seemed more bothersome. ”

NicoleB05 · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2015

“I just found out that I have pcos and have begun my pill regimen. For the women who have kids since taking the pills, how long did it take for our to see results with your ovaries? I do not have any cyst but a lot of wholes.”

Anonymous January 20, 2012

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “Dramatically reduced excessive hair growth on my face related to PCOS. Was on this for 7 years and loved it! Took a break to start a family, but will start taking again.”

Anonymous May 30, 2011

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): “Changed my life.”

Learn more about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome