User Reviews for Desipramine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Also known as: Norpramin

Desipramine has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 82% of those users who reviewed Desipramine reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Desipramine Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

xcatloverx · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2020

“I was put on this medication for irritable bowel syndrome and nausea. It did nothing for my symptoms and after a few weeks I realized how depressed I was. I would start crying over the littlest things and felt extremely negative. Use with caution, it can really affect your mind!”

TonyB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 29, 2020

“My doctor prescribed this to me about 3 weeks ago. I had severe abdominal pain in my upper right quadrant that he is attributing to IBS. I have had no decrease in my pain levels while eating or my ambient pain levels. The diarrhea that I've had for the past 9 months stopped abruptly ending in constipation. I've had panic attacks, mood swings, I'm already prone to suicidal ideation so I don't know how much it's actually affected that but it's present. I don't really have restful sleep anymore. Nobody can help me.”

Linkin60 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

“So I just started Desipramine for IBS 25mg 2 weeks ago. While I am sure that it is helping my IBS, I have had some very serious issues with taking this medication because I was also on Cymbalta (30mg) and Trazodone (75mg). My Gastro doc knew I was taking these other antidepressants when he prescribed the Desipramine for the IBS. On day 6 of taking all three of these drugs I started experiencing SSRI Syndrome. They immediately took me off the Cymbalta and the Trazodone and now I am suffering major withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone else had this happen to them? How long before the Cymbalta and Trazodone get out of my system for good?”

Mrs Lisa April 9, 2017

“I had Irritable bowels ever since I was a young teenager and I just couldn't figure out what was exactly wrong I thought it was menstral related . I suffered for years until I was about 40 years old dealing with cramps in my bowels ( lower abdominal area) I realized after I had a hysterectomy it wasn't my endometriosis I still had this cramps feeling every day! :( I started taking desipramine , a fiber pill (citrucel) and a probiotic (align) and I haven't had hardly any issues ! I am like 95 %better . Sometimes if I feel a little crampy I drink a morracan mint tea and it settles things down really quick . I got lazy one week about taking this regimen and I got so irritated . So I know it works and I'm sticking with it .”

Chloe1212 April 27, 2015

“I have IBS and am trying to following the FODMAP diet which is very difficult and limiting. I began to take just 5 mg. of Desipramine a week ago, and haven't had any IBS symptoms. Are other people using the FODMAP diet???? If Desipramine quiets the symptoms of IBS, I would love to get off the FODMAP diet because of the strict limitations. Thanks for any feedback.”

Scuba Steve 6173452 October 5, 2016

“Have tried all families of the tricyclics and xifaxin for my IBS-D. Desipramine is the only medication that has helped and continues to provide relief. It takes about a month to start working and gets better and better over time. The only side effect is trouble sleeping and it does have an odd effect on my testicles which makes them feel tight. However, for Ibs-D this is the only med that works. I take Imodium as well when I am having a bad day or before a big event and this calms my nerves because Imodium always helps. After about 3 months on desipramine, Imodium is no longer needed.”

Bobbert1112 September 10, 2015

“I have had IBS all of my life and have tried many things and none of them did anything for my IBS. I started taking it as my DR said it is a side benefit of this drug which was not intended for IBS. It works very well. I use to go to the bathroom 3-5 times a day with frequent diarrhea now I go just once or even every other day and no diarrhea or bloating. I only use 25 mg as more gives me constipation.”

Best I've Tried · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 24, 2016

“Looking for an alternative but there was a time when I would have killed to find this. I noticed effects @lowest dose & no more diarrhea now: 10 mg morning, 50 @night. Helps anxiety& better than SSRI (took B4) which helped psychosomatic. W/this, too much = constipation(!!) Alcohol, pizza, extreme grease=still diarrhea. Occsnlly I will stop 4 wknd or days, bc of sexual side effects: NOT as bad as SSRI. But less interest in sex, lack of sensation leading up to orgasm. Can orgasm, but not the same level. (I'm female). Compared to life without it though? It's a lifesaver and I am normal again. Mostly. [Also take Wellbutrin 450 & Clonazepam 0.5x2. W helps w/sex effects (+lose weight & more energy, social).] + so cheap.”

Trish · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2018

“I have been on this med for three weeks and have really found it helpful for IBS-D. I am also following FODMAP diet-mostly. The diet is really helpful to know what foods are triggers. Now I am having trouble without diarrhea I have a bowel motion up to three times a day. Dry mouth is so far the only side effect. Also got an extreme sunburn when in normal circumstances I would not have.”

Anonymous May 11, 2011

“I've been on and off of medication for years for IBS and this has kept me from having a major attack in over a year now!”

edenbensal · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2017

“I'm suffering from IBS since I was 13 years old. Today I'm 24. This medicine made my IBS symptoms almost completely disappear.”

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome