User Reviews for Desipramine

Also known as: Norpramin

Learn more about Desipramine.

Depression 10 reviews 80 medications

8.5
ADHD 1 reviews 36 medications

Summary of Desipramine reviews 18 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Desipramine

Norpramin (desipramine) for Depression: "I took this drug for over 20 years. It worked extremely well for me. Dry mouth was my only side effect. I was told by my pharmacy they could no longer get it. I took the generic for a while but it never worked as well. I was surprised to read others have taken it recently. How sad something that worked so well for many is hard to get. I would switch back in a heartbeat."

Joanzie (taken for 10 years or more) November 15, 2016

For Vulvodynia: "My daughter suffered with vulvodynia for 2 years as a child at 5 years old. After seeing numerous doctors, she saw a Dr at Univ of Michigan who prescribed Desipramine. It worked immediately and it was 100% effective. After 2 years of treatment, my daughter was fine and the vulvodynia never returned."

Momof2inMD (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2016

For Depression: "One of the best-responding antidepressants I've ever taken. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it because my resting heart rate went up to ≥ 100 bpm while on this medication (could've been interacting adversely with my Dexedrine). But wow, what a response I had! It started responding just a few weeks after increasing it to 75 mg, and it seemed to really bring me out of my cocoon at 100 mg-125 mg. That was the highest I ever got to try before realizing what was going on with my heart, and subsequently having to back down on the dosage. My positive response diminished, and I had gained a bunch of weight anyway, so we decided to switch meds."

mikrw33 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Have tried all families of the tricyclics and xifaxin for my IBS-D. Desipramine is the only medication that has helped and continues to provide relief. It takes about a month to start working and gets better and better over time. The only side effect is trouble sleeping and it does have an odd effect on my testicles which makes them feel tight. However, for Ibs-D this is the only med that works. I take Imodium as well when I am having a bad day or before a big event and this calms my nerves because Imodium always helps. After about 3 months on desipramine, Imodium is no longer needed."

Scuba Steve 6173452 October 5, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Looking for an alternative but there was a time when I would have killed to find this. I noticed effects @lowest dose & no more diarrhea now: 10 mg morning, 50 @night. Helps anxiety& better than SSRI (took B4) which helped psychosomatic. W/this, too much = constipation(!!) Alcohol, pizza, extreme grease=still diarrhea. Occsnlly I will stop 4 wknd or days, bc of sexual side effects: NOT as bad as SSRI. But less interest in sex, lack of sensation leading up to orgasm. Can orgasm, but not the same level. (I'm female). Compared to life without it though? It's a lifesaver and I am normal again. Mostly. [Also take Wellbutrin 450 & Clonazepam 0.5x2. W helps w/sex effects (+lose weight & more energy, social).] + so cheap."

Best I've Tried (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

For ADHD: "This drug seemed to help my pain although the side effects I experienced outweighed the relief. I started with one 10 MG tablet per day for one week. On the second week I increased to 20 MG per day. At the end of the second week I noticed a difference in pain. I was having stomach aches, dizziness, constipation, loss of appetite, an in body shakiness and my voice was weak and kind hoarse. Although my pain was considerably less by the third week I felt all I could do was lay and hope the terrible feelings I was having would go away. I was unable to even make it to work at all on the third week. My lips were dry, swollen and I woke up to them cracked and bleeding."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

Norpramin (desipramine) for Depression: "I did so well on this medication! But I can no longer afford it. The generic version I was paying $280 a month. I have since changed to Effexor, and now on Zoloft and neither one works as well. I had been on this since 1986, but had to change last November because of the cost. I miss it so much"

1122334455 (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2016

For Depression: "Did not notice any effect whatsoever."

phenylalanine (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS all of my life and have tried many things and none of them did anything for my IBS. I started taking it as my DR said it is a side benefit of this drug which was not intended for IBS. It works very well. I use to go to the bathroom 3-5 times a day with frequent diarrhea now I go just once or even every other day and no diarrhea or bloating. I only use 25 mg as more gives me constipation."

Bobbert1112 September 10, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have IBS and am trying to following the FODMAP diet which is very difficult and limiting. I began to take just 5 mg. of Desipramine a week ago, and haven't had any IBS symptoms. Are other people using the FODMAP diet???? If Desipramine quiets the symptoms of IBS, I would love to get off the FODMAP diet because of the strict limitations. Thanks for any feedback."

Chloe1212 April 27, 2015

Norpramin (desipramine) for Depression: "I have spent years going through one anti-depressant after another. I even did ECT treatments and nothing worked. My psychiatrist then put me on desipramine and I have never looked back. I have energy, I can concentrate, get out of bed, and function for the first time in years. I've been taking it for 6 months now and have not had to increase the dosage, either. It was truly a godsend."

JenniferRose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Norpramin (desipramine) for Depression: "It was the God send of meds for me!"

EJstultz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2013

Norpramin (desipramine) for Depression: "Desipramine has worked wonders for me. After many years on and off of various medications that would - at best, if they worked at all - help briefly and degenerate into vicious side effects, this one worked like a charm. The only down-side is that it is so innocuous that it's easy to get used to the improvement; since the improvements it can be tempting to consider oneself "better" and discontinue prematurely. Fortunately there are no discontinuation effects, and the only side effect I have experienced is slight photosensitivity."

DoktorRowan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2013

For Depression: "To treat depression, I have been on Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor and Cymbalta. None worked as well as desipramine. I have been taking 30mg of desipramine combined with 50mg Zoloft and I feel much better. It took a few weeks of ups and downs before it really kicked in."

EAG November 29, 2011

For Depression: "I had taken many SSRI antidepressants and none helped my depression. I finally insisted that I try something different. Desipramine works on norepinephrine and that made a big difference. My apathy was gone, no severe anxiety like I'd had from Prozac and Paxil. I knew it was working when I started cleaning my house even though my mood had not improved yet. SSRIs may be newer but not better."

Anonymous September 11, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been on and off of medication for years for IBS and this has kept me from having a major attack in over a year now!"

Anonymous May 11, 2011

For Vulvodynia: "My wife was suffering with vulvadynia for almost two years because we had difficulty finding a doctor who actually understood this condition. When we finaly did, my wife was given prescriptions for desipramine and clonazepam. Within a short span of time she experienced a significant improvement. While she still experiences some "flares", the pain is never severe. She has since located a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic floor disorders and expects that adding this treatment will take her even further along the road to recovery."

Anonymous February 17, 2010

For Depression: "I found it to be the best medicine for me. I was put on several newer antidepressants and I hated side effects especially weight loss. I am a very physical person who struggles to keep weight on and this helps me in this situation also."

70camino July 13, 2008