User Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Biaxin XL

Clarithromycin has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 163 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 36% of those users who reviewed Clarithromycin reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin

channy64 · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2021

“Took this for 3 days. Ended up in ER with terrible vertigo and sickness. Disoriented and can’t go to work. I would avoid this drug.”

Hannah · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

“RUN don’t walk away from this medicine. I have a TERRIBLE metallic taste in my mouth and the AWFUL nausea that goes with it. I would honestly rather have the worst sinus infection in the world than take this medicine for another day.”

Stuffy December 24, 2020

“Not entirely sure what rating to give this. I’ve been taking This antibiotic for 4 days for sinus congestion + Eustachian tube blockage... Not sure if it’s normal to have it kick in by now or not? I do feel a slight relief of pressure in my middle ear, I’m assuming that means it’s working? Help?”

Twinkle July 22, 2019

“I am currently prescribed 500mg clarithromycin twice a day for 10 days. I had a sinus infection. I'm on day 4 and still feel a bit of sinus pressure. I cannot tell you how much this metal taste in my mouth has taken my sleep away. I am woken up by this terrible taste, never experienced anything like this. I feel I can only go max another 2 days with this as I just cannot take this taste anymore..its taken over my life”

Anonymous5 February 25, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I have had MANY sinus infections over the years, and Biaxin is the only thing that really gets rid of them. Yes, you have a horrible (metallic) taste in your mouth, are a bit loopy, and tummy isn't the best, but those side effects are nothing compared to serious sinus pain. I'd rather be thirsty than feel like my head is in a vice all day!”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

“I suffer from chronic sinusitis with around 4 flare ups if acute each year. My sinuses are so painful that a metallic taste from clarithromycin is worth having. I am on the second day of this course clarithromycin 500mg twice a day. I can already feel some improvement and I have 12 days to go. I have a lot of underlying health issues including cancer and side effects are a given for strong medication. I usually take Doxycycline from which I have far worse stomach symptoms. I think this drug is great for clearing up severe infections. I have taken both with and without food. The only thing I religiously do is drink a full glass of water with them.”

yva October 5, 2014

“I too woke up in the middle of my sleep because of the bad taste in my mouth. I thought I needed to eat but whatever I eat, it doesn't go. So I googled about it and found this site. I ate a salty meal, candies, chocolate, carrot and nothing works. I've only had two tablets so far.”

25skidoo August 14, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I too have had multiple sinus infections and surgery twice. In addition I am immunosuppressed because of a medication for rheumatoid arthritis. Biaxin has always worked for me. I really have no side effects other than the metallic taste which is tolerable. I make sure I take it after food otherwise it is really hard on the stomach. I take Biaxin XL 500mg, 2 tablets once a day for 14 days.”

Bexta · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2013

“Wrote on here yesterday. Just updating. Doc advised me to stop taking clarithromycin after I took only one 500mg last night. My experience- awful taste in mouth, vomiting, lower back pain, aching all over, severe stomach pain, couldnt sleep, dizziness, severe anxiety, dull heavy headache (similar to a hang over) and very dry mouth. All this after only ONE tablet. This medication is EVIL! Take with extreme caution people. Good luck x”

Sinus sufferer · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“Have had sinus infections for over twenty years and although two operations have helped they can still recur and are very nasty. Usually along with the sinus pain, I lose my voice with nasal drip and my breathing is affected with accompanying chest pain. Clarithromycin was recommended by my consultant years ago and although my GP was reluctant he did agree to write the prescription when needed and has continued to do so. This drug is amazing for me. Literally within a few hours I can feel the pressure lifting from my sinuses, my voice starts to return and the weight lifts from my chest and I can breath properly again. Within a few days I am back to normal. I ALWAYS take the tablet with food as per the instructions. If you don't you can get into all sorts of trouble as listed by others here. I have worried that I may become resistant to it as I probably take it twice a year but if anything it seems to be more effective for me as I get older. Not sure why.”

Allergic to Everything · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

“I was put on a high dose of clarithromycin when a sinus infection became complicated and went into my parotid gland causing severe swelling and pain in my cheek and jaw. The horrible metallic taste is normal with this med. Sucking on lemon drops or other hard candies can help. This med will cause stomach upset and cramps etc Unless you eat lots of yogurt- any kind and even the sweet not so good for you yummy tasting kind will work too. So you need to take it with the yogurt, you will need to eat a full meal then take the meds. This really will help keep stomach issues at bay as best as possible. The med helped clear my infection up fast and was totally worth any inconvenience seeing that I tend to be allergic to everything.”

olij · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2015

“I would like to know what this drug is made from. The horrible metallic taste is making me gag. I have tried everything you can think of to get rid of it. It's waking me up at night from the taste. I don't know if the H.pylori symptoms or this is worse. I have 5 days to go on this and am dreading every tablet I have to swallow. I feel it's poison.”

Jodie · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2020

“I got this antibiotic what would have been 3 days ago today. The first day I had a complete break down and cried my eyes out. I was extremely emotional and depressed feeling hopeless and felt like I was losing my mind. I couldn’t stop crying. I have a metallic taste in my mouth and have had headaches every day. Last night I was all of a sudden having excruciating stomach cramps I couldn’t stand or sit or lay down the pain was unbearable. I considered calling 911 because the pain was so bad but settled for 811 health link instead. I thought I was dying. It took hot pads and pain killers to even be able to lay down. Today I am stuck on the couch (husbands orders) and after last night my stomach is still very tender and cramping but nothing compared to how it was. I would suggest never taking this medication. It was an absolute nightmare and I will NEVER take this again, it shouldn’t even be prescribed to people. It is absolute poison.”

Marge · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

“I was sick with extreme flu symptoms for over a week so went back to the doctor and was told to take clarithromycin ‘just incase’ it got worse and it developed into a chest infection. Prescribed dosage 2 x 250mg a day before food. I was reluctant to take them as I react to most medications and cannot take Augmentin as it makes me pass out. Mind you I’ve only begun reacting to medications in the last 5 years. I felt so ill that I thought I have to take them hoping to feel better! Well only 3 days in and I feel worse! Will never take them again. Brain fog, tinnitus, severe fatigue, muscle aches, dizziness. Feel like sleeping all day and insomnia all night. I also feel like my insides have been poisoned. Obviously every person reacts differently and not everyone will be affected in this way. Though for me this medication is pure poison.”

Babikin · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2018

“I felt compelled to write a review here after looking on here at the start of my course and being horrified by what it seemed awaited me. I am taking 2 x 500mg tabs a day (one morning, one evening) for an acute sinusitis not cleared by a course of amoxicillin. It took until day 3 to start to work for me but the difference is amazing. I have a two week course and am feeling really hopeful for the first time in 3 weeks that I'm not going to spend the forseeable future feeling absolutely awful. I had absolutely no side effects at all - I was very tired first two days and slept a lot, but that is likely because I was ill! Since then, no GI problems, no anxiety / restlessness and no horrible taste in my mouth. I hope this gives some reassurance to someone else that its perfectly possible to take it and have no side effects!”

Daphne · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

“I have recurring sinus infections and I'm currently taking this drug for the 4th time. Before I took it, I was reading reviews of how awful this drug was and it totally freaked me out. The side effects are not ideal but you'll survive. I've always found clarithromycin to be super effective and my sinus issues usually improve in two days. The metallic taste is pretty bad, I'll admit that. Sleeping is difficult but I take mine with some milk before I go to bed and it keeps the stomachaches at bay.”

Ken June 10, 2019

“My health care provider prescribed Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day. I am 75 yr. old and suffering from sinus and congestion for two weeks. After taking this for 4 days I am so weak and unsteady I can't take care of my farm animals. I don't think I have ever felt so bad. The prescription info says I must take for 10 days and must take all. I will never take this stuff again.”

Shabby September 13, 2019

“The doctor prescribed clarithromycin for a sinus infection. I was really concerned after reading the reviews. My experience was positive. I only took the tablet with food, the nausea sensation only when my belly was empty; I had the metal taste in my mouth but sucking a lollie that quickly went away. I was very fatigued on this medication and my knees ached. It was hard to concentrate as well. The medication itself was a 7 day course and it took the full 7 days to clear my sinus infection where my tonsillitis etc went after day 1. I found breathing eucalyptus oil in my handkerchief dried my sinus really fast as this is a natural remedy to sooth I inflammation, I also massaged my sinus each night after a shower ( googled how to do this) and that really worked too. All in all the combination of the above worked abut it was really really slow to recover..don’t expect to feel great after a few days.”

Anonymous June 27, 2008

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “Biaxin (or the generic) has always worked WONDERS for me in treating chronic sinusitis or sinus infection (also concurrent ear infection). It smacks it right out of you the 1st time, you don't wind up at the doctors again after taking something less effective. I ask for it by name (am allergic to penicillin and sulphur, so neither of those are ever an option for me).”

Anonymous August 31, 2009

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I have chronic sinus infections, over the last 20 years I have tried everything including surgery, allergy shots, and many different types of antibiotics. Since I am allergic to Penicillin I have limited chocies, but think I have tried them all. Biaxin is the only thing that works for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

“I had a pretty serious sinus infection. I was having minor fevers every few hours and was as congested as I've ever been. To its credit, it has all but killed the sinus infection in 3.5 days. HOWEVER. I've been nauseous for 3 straight days. It feels like I have rocks in my stomach and a lump in my esophagus. This metallic taste never leaves my mouth. Diarrhea 3x a day. Occasional headaches. And I still have 6.5 days left on this questionable medication. I would rather have the fevers and congestion back. I am never getting this medication again if I can help it.”

another anon April 30, 2013

“I suffer from chronic sinus infections and have been treated with clarithromycin. While it got rid of the more severe issues (facial pain, horribly stuffed nose) I still didn't feel great after. Both times I ended up having to go to an ENT afterwards and start a stronger steroid and antibiotic. To top it off when I was on clarithromycin I had that terrible metallic taste in my mouth that would actually wake me up in the middle of the night.”

DrSaraE · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2014

“Third day on Clarithromycin, it has worked so far clearing up my chronic sinusitis, my voice is back and my sense of smell is back the only thing bad about it is the bitter taste in my mouth and lips. I don't know what to eat to change it. I make sure that I take my 2 500 tablets right after supper, I haven't had trouble with my stomach.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

“I have been fighting a sinus infection for almost a month now. I am on my third day of taking 1000mg of this antibiotic daily and around 3 hours after taking the pills I get an awful taste in my mouth, along with an upset stomach, a heavy feeling in my stomach and a headache. Awful : (”

Ordy December 1, 2015

“This medicine is awful, first night, awful taste in mouth, couldn't get to sleep and woke up with a racing heart. Day 4 woke up at 1 in the morning, extreme anxiety, pounding heart, sweats, shaking, couldn't think straight. GP has told me to stop taking it and it should be out of my system in 27 hours.”

Mikey · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“This clarithromycin gave me a very poor experience. I am 3/4 the way through taking the course and I threw it in the trash. If you have anxiety do NOT take this drug. I have never had worse insomnia from an antibiotic. All day I feel tired and then at night I am sleepless. In addition to this the nausea makes it very difficult to eat. I am in my mid 20s and never thought something as simple as an antibiotic could do this. As far as treating the sinus infection it went away but I am still experiencing a runny nose”

JanMam February 7, 2014

“I was prescribed clarithromycin for a sinus infection. I have been battling this for four weeks. And two prescriptions before this. I am on day three and feel only a little better. I have read it takes 4-5 days to feel better especially if you have had it awhile. The sinuses are hard to penetrate. I have had no stomach problems, I recommend probiotics. Nasty taste in my mouth...Gatorade helps a bit. I have also had fatigue and headache but I am unsure if this is due to the antibiotics or that my body has had it with medication. Hope this helps someone.”

Catsch February 24, 2014

“Took this medication four times for sinusitis and it works the best for me, I feel so much better within 24hrs, it's fast acting, the only side effect I experienced was a bad but tolerable metallic taste in my mouth.”

Learn more about Sinusitis