User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "i always get sinusitis on a yearly basis. on my worst occasion, i tried 'em all from Zythromax to Ammoxicillian, etc. none worked for me. ONLY Biaxin works!! MD says its not the most recommended antibiotic for sinusitis but does work and is the only one that works for me. Yes ~ it does leave a metallic taste in my mouth, but i like knowing its in my system and attacking my problem so i don't mind the taste at all... i was also told it is a very old antibiotic, but its an "Oldie but Goodie"!! Some insurance will cover it while others will not."

golden years, phooey July 30, 2016

"I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on this site about clarithromycin and the side effects they've had, as I thought I was losing my mind from the hallucinations and crazy dreams this antibiotic has caused me. It's a relief to know it's not just me, although obviously I don't want others to suffer! After two days on this antibiotic for sinusitis and inner ear infection, I have literally felt like I was dying, fever, chills, anxiety and then at night hallucinating, which is really scary, especially when you don't know what's causing it. So thank god I found this site and now can link the clarithromycin to the side effects of the last two days. I have now stopped taking it and am going to ask for a different type of antibiotic."

anacondabonnie July 23, 2016

"i took this medicine for two days because i started to get a headache from it. now 2 months later i have the same headache from this. its a constant dull headache that is causing me to be unable to work or do my daily activities. it ruined my life forever."

gina3456789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

"Prescribed for recurrent sinus infection potentially caused by GERD. By day four bitter taste in mouth was round the clock. Yuck. Upsets stomach and wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Also, a little slow with thinking. Not a fan."

Felicia2001 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"It has been 2 months since I was put on Biaxin (see my entry on March 3). I only got through 4 days of a 10 day course. I have had diarrhea for 2 months, have lost 20 lbs, have nausea off and on every day. I have had many work ups and stool samples, all negative. My ears have been ringing (tinnitus) since I went on Biaxin. All day and night. It has really taken a huge toll on my life. I wish the doctor had told me to take probiotics. I have esophageal candida from good bacteria being wiped out. My gastroenterologist has to wait until my GI heals a bit before a colonoscopy and a long course of anti fungals to tame the candida. And the sinus thing? Still present. Biaxin has really messed up my body, and my life."

Docony16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

"I was prescribed 500mg of Clarithromycin for a week for severe sinusitis and a very sore throat. I'd had the sore throat for a week and it was getting worse. It started to clear up after a couple of days of taking these. Haven't noticed much effect for the sinusitis but haven't had any side effects except for really weird and vivid dreams. I woke up rather upset this morning! So they worked for me (especially as I am horribly allergic to amoxycillin) but I'll be glad when the horrible dreams go back to normal!"

Cleversaz (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I read a bunch of reviews from people who have mentioned having upset stomachs and yeast infections. I used to have those issues on antiobiotics, but then I learned that taking a very strong probiotic (I take the refrigerated ones from Jarro) and a feminine probiotic with lactobaccilus eliminates or at least greatly reduces those issues. I strongly recommend taking both whenever you take antiobiotics. For this one, I agree that you definitely need to take it with a reasonable amount of food. The metallic taste comes and goes but is generally tolerable. I do feel loopy, but I am guessing that has more to do with how sick I am than anything else. Hope this helps."

erky (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

"After four years of chronic sinusitis with total loss of smell unless taking prednisone I was given clarithromycin. An initial 7 day course didn't quite cut it but after a further 3 days I can now smell and breathe for the first time in years!! Yes it does have some not pleasant side effects worst being nausea and leaving a horrible taste in your mouth but these are worth putting up with for the the quality of life I have now got back.. Food is once again worth eating. Let's just hope it stays this way."

ZeEag (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"This is not the first time I have been on this medicine for recurrent sinus infections, I don't like it but it always seems to work. I am taking 2 500mg once per day. The disgusting taste in my mouth generally starts around day 2, and headaches around day 3. I can't sleep when I am taking it, but so far no other issues, I will be glad to stop taking it, 4 more days to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2016

"Honestly, it gave the worst side effects i've ever experienced. I have Crohn's Disease and have been on a bunch of different types of medications, so that's saying something. The 1st dose wasn't too bad, horrible metalic taste in my mouth but that was about it. I noticed my sinuses to be less congested and i could finally sleep at night without my nose getting completed clogged. But after the second dose i had horrible stomach cramps (even though i took it with food) , the nausea was veryyyy uncomfortable and the taste in my mouth was so strong i could barely swallow my own saliva without wanting to hurl. NOTHING would get rid of the taste either. I've stopped taking it, never again! NEVER AGAIN!"

WorstSideEffectsEver (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

"500mg X 2 a day for 7 days First couple of days on it I felt a little queezy with lose bowels. I did wake every night with the horrible taste but nothing to bad. On day 4 the pain in my head has really improved but still coughing. I have another G P appt Monday incase 7 days is not long enough to clear it."

Nasty taste March 11, 2016

"Was given for chronic sinusitis for 10 days, with prednisone for 3 days at the beginning. Gave me extreme nausea and some diarrhea, dizzy and weak, by day 4 second dose, was having trouble standing up/walking or sitting up, weak legs, breathing felt funny, talking funny, went to er. There for 6 hours for fluids and anti-nausea medicine. Still have loose bowels a week later. Still have sinus infection. Scary"

Chronic sinusitis (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2016

"So far so good with this drug. I was prescribed 500mg for ten days and took one dose thus far. Second dose is due in a couple of hours. After suffering from constant ear infections and sinus problems for the past 30 days Im willing to take my chances.After a day no complaints so far."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"Two hours after the first dose, I had a pounding headache, severe nausea, dizziness/vertigo, a horrible, metallic taste in my mouth. Four hours later the taste has subsided. But headache is still a problem. If I move too quickly, the nausea returns. On the plus side, the pain from the sinus infection is now tolerable (before it was excruciating). My sense of smell and taste has started to return. And I can breathe again, though this could be due to 2 other medications I was also prescribed (Otrivin and Acetylcystein Hexal). The last time I took antibiotics, I came down with an awful case of esophageal thrush, more painful that even a sinus infection, which took 1 1/2 months to resolve. So I am waiting to see what will happen."

m&M&p (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

"Day 3 . Absolutely no side effects. ear and throat relief after one day. Sinuses are still on fire. Might be viral cold."

Anonymous February 11, 2016

"The most disgusting taste in my mouth, even made my toothbrush smell weird. nasty chemical smell /taste, headache, blurry eyes, lack of concentration, nausea, stomach bloating and churning, vomited when brushing teeth. Horrible antibiotic, calling gp tomorrow to arrange for alternative antibiotic, cannot stand the taste or side effects."

patient patient (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"I have had a sinus infection since a bad head cold at Christmas. Horrible stuff being coughed up that was nearly choking me at night so this was suggested after being told Amoxacilin was resistant to my type of infection. Never happy taking antibiotics but sometimes we just have to go down that route...I have to say the metallic taste is horrible but not life threatening! Upset stomach and definitely should be taken with or after food so never on empty stomach. I am having vivid dreams but not really making me sleep badly. I took probiotic at same time as first pill but that just gave me terrible cramps - think too much going on at once so I will take when the course is finished. Grapefruit concentrate is good for gastro problems. Good luck"

Big Bird54 January 26, 2016

"I was prescribed these for an ongoing sinus problem, I'm not convinced it is an infection as my mucus is clear and not bright yellow as it has been in the past when I've had infected sinuses. I've experienced horrible side effect, horrible taste in my mouth, nausea, fatigue, muscle ache and just generally feeling ill. I would stop taking it but if it is an infection it will probably make it worse so just going to buck up and finish the course. I would not recommend these antibiotics to anyone."

27 year old female 1234 January 25, 2016

"Started on a 10 day course for this antibiotic. Nausea and going to the toilet were side effect. Tried probiotic tablets and yogurt for stomach and it seems like its working. Gravol (the non drowsy type) seems to help with nausea."

guest200000 January 12, 2016

"I was actually given this for a bad Ear infection which I think now has gone. But I feel anxiety, can not sleep, my eyes are blurry, It made the noise in my ears worse and my mussels felt strange jelly like. As much as it is good to feel no pain the feeling that you could put a knife through you and you would not feel it makes you feel crazy. My stomach is in pain from time to time and running to the loo. My throat feel like I need to constantly clear it gritty in the back. My mouth is so dry and a metal taste. Thank Goodness I have one more day of this drug that is driving me crazy."

Bird Man (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"I've suffered from chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip for a while now. Biaxin is the only drug which worked for me, my PND started decreasing after one day and my nasal passages were completely clear by day 4. As for side effects it increased my appetite and sent me to the bathroom more often than usual. As for the nausea and metallic taste in mouth that most people reported, that only occurred on my last day of treatment thankfully. It's a small price to pay for the relief I got however."

Amz_P December 12, 2015

"I was taking clarithromcyin for sinusitis and it worked but I got severe back pain with the medication and a very nasty taste in my mouth. My stomach hurt so then I started taking it with food and the pain never came back"

Jen10496 December 11, 2015

"This medicine is awful, first night, awful taste in mouth, couldn't get to sleep and woke up with a racing heart. Day 4 woke up at 1 in the morning, extreme anxiety, pounding heart, sweats, shaking, couldn't think straight. GP has told me to stop taking it and it should be out of my system in 27 hours."

Ordy December 1, 2015

"I can't tolerate the taste. I quit. Would rather have the cough."

Grassy (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

"Started feeling better within 48 hours of taking this medication. Took a probiotic with the medication to minimize effect on digestive system."

Anonymous November 19, 2015