User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 253 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"I have been sick for nearly 3 weeks now. I had pneumonia and a sinus infection. I had a full course of Levaquin and 60mg of Prednisone a day, and while it did help at first, it did not clear up the sinus infection. 2 days after taking my last dose I couldn't breathe and had the sinus infection trigger a migraine causing me to throw up on top of everything else. I was rushed to the Dr. where I was given 3 shots (Steroids, Rocephen, and Tordal/Zofran) and put on 500mg twice a day of Clarithromycin. This antibiotic has been a God send for me. Yes my stomach gets crampy, I have mild nausea, and very vivid dreams, but after 4 days of this medicine I am feeling so much stronger. I absolutely recommend it."

Ginna'lyn January 15, 2017

"In March 2016 had a very mild sinus infection. Typically other antibiotics work so have no clue why this poison was prescribed. I only made it through the 2nd-3rd dose. Anyway, I had the worst headache that ended with me in the emergency room. I then had tinnitus that sounded like crickets chirping for nearly a month. A couple weeks after ending this I started to have full right arm numbness that kinda worried me and that was immediately followed by vision loss, extreme fatique and confusion. After rounds with doctors I finally got a real scan and it showed I was suffering from an internal carotid dissection. Hello anticoagulant for a pretty healthy 40 year old. I am not sure if it was related to this drug or not. Awful drug."

brewsky (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

"I take the meds as I am also allergic to penicillin. Here's a tip for all you with sinus problems.. quit sniffing stuff up your nose!"

SmarterDanU January 4, 2017

"12.29.16 I too suffer from sinusitis due to a deviated septum. I've become allergic to penicillin, sulfa & doxycycline, made me lose skin, & I'm sensitive to zpack. I know clarithromycin is in the same family as zpack but man did this work for me within 2 days. No colors, facial pain, cough, etc. I do get that weird metallic taste but I just deal with it. I eat greek yogurt with the doses (500mg twice a day) to avoid stomach pain & diarrhea due to the good bacteria in the greek yogurt. I do find myself getting hyper at times while on it & tired but its worth it. As far as not sleeping I use marijuana an INDICA strain (yes it makes a difference) in the evenings to help sleep. I try to stay hydrated as well, gatorade. It worked wonders for me."

Im your huckleberry (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"Only been taking this antibiotic for pleurisy and a sinus infection for 3 days. Day 1 bad bitter taste in mouth and terrible thirst. Day 2 diarrhea. Day 3 the worst headache I have ever had. This drug should come with a GIANT warning on the packet. DON'T take this drug it has vile side effects. My Dr has told me to stop it immediately. So I have!"

melonsgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

"First of all To the people saying biaxin should be off the market, You do realize that there are different kinds of antibiotics and what works for uou wont work for me , and vice versa. For example I am allergic to penicillin and any antibiotic related to it makes me feel awful and worse. But it works for many other people. That being said Biaxin WORKS for me. In fact It instantly worked by the next day when I woke up my nose didnt have green chunks in it anymore. Yes it gives metallic taste. Yes day 3 I have head ache behind my eyes. ( maybe the medication working on the more deeper infected area). If you get a dull headache Take an advil dont stop taking the medication... A migraine I would stop but a mild headache I think is Managable."

Edmonton Alberta Canada (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

"I have chronic Sinisitis, for 20 years now, typically getting 2-3 sinus infections per year that reduce me to rubble for at least 10 days. I should know better at this point than to try yet another antibiotic, but nothing works anymore except Levaquin, and if I build up a resistance to that, I'm in big trouble if I ever get pneumonia. So here I am, up the third night in a row after starting the clarithromycin. I have been nauseous, gassy and utterly uncomfortable--I'm not taking another dose, calling my doctor and sticking to natural remedies. If that doesn't work, then looks like I'll be paying out of pocket for surgery since my sinus scan came back normal."

Lizru December 2, 2016

"The "cure" for my sinusitis wasn't worth the morning diarrhea (3 bouts and that would be it for the day), metallic taste in mouth all day, constant nausea/gag reflex, achiness, sleeplessness and lethargy. After taking 3.5 pills, I went down to Walgreen's and bought probiotics and Gatorade. I took the probiotic and a glass of Gatorade and was hungry (hungry!) for the first time in days. They ought to take this crap off the market. Never again. This stuff is like poison."

SoozBlooz November 30, 2016

"My sinus infection was hard to diagnose. Thought allergy meds were causing post nasal drip. Then my lungs were inflaming to the point I couldn't play racketball. Got to my allergist, it took a week. By then I was contemplating getting on oxygen by going to the hospital, but prescription finally came for Doxcyclin. Though 22 days of 30 It eased things up. Started the Biaxin just a few days after the end of the Doxcyclin. Dr warned me of aluminum taste Pharmacist warned me of needing food. Never noticed any stomach upset. Stopped taking with food, but always with a big glass of water. Only noticed metalic taste a few times waking up with foam in the back of my throat, but by the 3rd day that was gone. I'm on the 2nd week and starting sprints."

wmwmwmw (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

"This medicine should be banished from existence. I want to skull drag the doctor for prescribing it. I would rather have the sinus infection than feel the way I do now. If your doctor suggests this medicine, walk off, but not before dumping this horrid medicine down their throats so they can feel it's wrath. I have just about every physical side effect you can get from this junk."

I hate life right now (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

"7 days after Doxcyclin took swelling down but didn't get rid of infection . Nasty side effects -Horrible taste extreme thirst , very achey and lethargic has cleared the green gunk , 2 days left."

Mrs Shack October 30, 2016

"Have only been on this medicine for two days and I am debating over whether or not I should continue taking the rest. Thankfully no hallucinations or nightmares. However, the aftertaste is horrible. You can't get rid of it. Everything you eat and drink tastes awful. Gum and mints help with the taste. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do when it is time to go to bed. Not sure if the tummy cramps are from the illness or from this medicine."

Anonymous 66 (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

"Avoiding Levaquin so taking biaxin genic. Felt better but developed sore throat , cold. Not feeling better Still lethargic, severe stomach pain, Indigestion. Called for a substitute but doctor has not followed up yet. Do not recommend this antibiotic!!!"

Sinus infection (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

"I am taking Clarithromycin (Biaxin). What I am enduring at night amounts to psychological torture, and I pretty well wish I never had to sleep again. Got about 3 hours of sleep last night, and woke up crying. Dreams are extremely vivid and bizarre, have twisted, convoluted plots, and are frightening and emotionally disturbing. I'm starting to feel like it's Nightmare on Elm Street - pass the caffeine, please."

Sleeping with the light on (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

"I just finished 3 weeks of Clarithromycin for chronic sinusitis. I was on Augmentin for 2 weeks prior to that. I've had a cough for 3 months. My ears have been stopped up for months. My cough is maybe 20% better and there is no improvement with my ears. My main concern is I have almost totally lost my sense of smell. Will this resolve now that I'm off the drug?"

K$john September 11, 2016

"Works well, very tired after course of clarithyromycin"

Lynnie66677 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

"Did clear up the sinus infection i've had raging for a month or so. The nausea is crippling - make sure to take it with food. Definitely experienced the metallic taste - it's disgusting. Interacts with albuterol which is making my life a little extra hard considering that I've had bronchitis/asthma for the past month and a half."

harley25 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

"I googled metallic taste from Clarithromycin as its revolting and wanted to know if anyone else experienced it too. I am on a 14 day course because of a sinus infection, which has made a world of difference. I just have an annoying cough and I have 3 days left of the course. What I have found fascinating is other people mentioning crazy vivid dreams and blurry eyes. I never would have associated it to the drug had I not read these comments. I'll stick out the course as I don't want the sinus infection to come back but boy it's a weird antibiotic!!"

Emma from England (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "i always get sinusitis on a yearly basis. on my worst occasion, i tried 'em all from Zythromax to Ammoxicillian, etc. none worked for me. ONLY Biaxin works!! MD says its not the most recommended antibiotic for sinusitis but does work and is the only one that works for me. Yes ~ it does leave a metallic taste in my mouth, but i like knowing its in my system and attacking my problem so i don't mind the taste at all... i was also told it is a very old antibiotic, but its an "Oldie but Goodie"!! Some insurance will cover it while others will not."

golden years, phooey July 30, 2016

"I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on this site about clarithromycin and the side effects they've had, as I thought I was losing my mind from the hallucinations and crazy dreams this antibiotic has caused me. It's a relief to know it's not just me, although obviously I don't want others to suffer! After two days on this antibiotic for sinusitis and inner ear infection, I have literally felt like I was dying, fever, chills, anxiety and then at night hallucinating, which is really scary, especially when you don't know what's causing it. So thank god I found this site and now can link the clarithromycin to the side effects of the last two days. I have now stopped taking it and am going to ask for a different type of antibiotic."

anacondabonnie July 23, 2016

"i took this medicine for two days because i started to get a headache from it. now 2 months later i have the same headache from this. its a constant dull headache that is causing me to be unable to work or do my daily activities. it ruined my life forever."

gina3456789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

"Prescribed for recurrent sinus infection potentially caused by GERD. By day four bitter taste in mouth was round the clock. Yuck. Upsets stomach and wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Also, a little slow with thinking. Not a fan."

Felicia2001 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"It has been 2 months since I was put on Biaxin (see my entry on March 3). I only got through 4 days of a 10 day course. I have had diarrhea for 2 months, have lost 20 lbs, have nausea off and on every day. I have had many work ups and stool samples, all negative. My ears have been ringing (tinnitus) since I went on Biaxin. All day and night. It has really taken a huge toll on my life. I wish the doctor had told me to take probiotics. I have esophageal candida from good bacteria being wiped out. My gastroenterologist has to wait until my GI heals a bit before a colonoscopy and a long course of anti fungals to tame the candida. And the sinus thing? Still present. Biaxin has really messed up my body, and my life."

Docony16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

"I was prescribed 500mg of Clarithromycin for a week for severe sinusitis and a very sore throat. I'd had the sore throat for a week and it was getting worse. It started to clear up after a couple of days of taking these. Haven't noticed much effect for the sinusitis but haven't had any side effects except for really weird and vivid dreams. I woke up rather upset this morning! So they worked for me (especially as I am horribly allergic to amoxycillin) but I'll be glad when the horrible dreams go back to normal!"

Cleversaz (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I read a bunch of reviews from people who have mentioned having upset stomachs and yeast infections. I used to have those issues on antiobiotics, but then I learned that taking a very strong probiotic (I take the refrigerated ones from Jarro) and a feminine probiotic with lactobaccilus eliminates or at least greatly reduces those issues. I strongly recommend taking both whenever you take antiobiotics. For this one, I agree that you definitely need to take it with a reasonable amount of food. The metallic taste comes and goes but is generally tolerable. I do feel loopy, but I am guessing that has more to do with how sick I am than anything else. Hope this helps."

erky (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016