User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 244 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"Taking this medicine is a challenge. The metallic after taste can drive you to overeat just to get the taste out of your mouth. That being said it is the most effective antibiotic for me as I am allergic to penicillin & z packs just don't do the complete job. I have been struggling with a sinus infection for 16 months & have been on antibiotics 6 times. I am a voracious reader & researcher. I am now in my 4th week of clarithro & am having success. What made this round different was learning that most of the vitamins taken inhibit the effectiveness of clarithro. No supplements for the month. Pain control is with naproxen & benadryl. Flucanozole 2x a day. Ear issues, bend at waist & do the spray for eustachion tubes. Helps move the crud out!"

Mabek July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"2 pills a day for 7 days. Wow. I am finally done taking this medication for an ear infection that was caused by a sinus infection. I had almost all the side effects listed, sadly. Heart palpitations, headache, nausea, hunger pains, acid reflux, insomnia, diarrhea and metallic taste in mouth all night long! Unreal. It's my last day and although I feel better, I now feel like I am recovering from all the side effects of this drug! My advice is to take it with a lot of food and probiotics! You will need to find a way to counteract all the side effects! I'm not sure it's even worth taking, to be honest. Heart palpitations alone made me feel like I had a heart attack waiting to happen."

SMLo June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took clairthromycin for four weeks 500mg 2x a day which seemed to strong to me. Same metallic taste a lot of people get, it is medicine so I expect that. It gave me dizziness, tiredness, and nightmares galore, I have lost of sleep from all the nightmares. I actually felt really out of it. I took probiotics, and ate yogurt, and after I stopped taking it three weeks later, I began have severe stomach pain, I have read it can cause so serious issues with the liver so now I'm off to the GI doctor I wish there was something in medicine that could cure us without any side effect like Royal Rife invention"

Greystone0000 May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed Clarithromycin to treat sinus, ear, throat, and lung infection (possible pneumonia). After six days I feel much better. I had splitting sinus headaches and they have stopped. Still have congested sinuses and cough, but diminishing. No GI effects (no nausea, no diarrhoea). Nasty metallic taste in mouth, especially on waking in the morning, but I prefer that to the difficulty breathing. No hallucinations or nightmares, just very vivid dreams, which I actually enjoy."

ksco (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In the past six years I have had three sinus infections. This drug cleared it up in a short time with no side effects. I suffer from IBS so my GI doctor recommends this antibiotic as it is more gentle on the GI tract. He also told me to take one Florastor probiotic capsule each day and to eat yogurt with active cultures Have had bad results with Augmentin – gave me raging diarrhea. Levaquin has some really serious side effects and affected my Achilles tendon. I don't notice vile taste - tongue burns, mine are vanilla flavored. If the size bothers you, tell doc to order 250mg size and take two. I had palpitations and anxiety tho and rapid heart beat for a while but could have been from Bentyl. Not sure."

Mom GS (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had the most bizarre dreams with this tablet. Woke up feeling drugged out and nauseous. Bad headache, bubbly tummy due to wind, foggy head. I only took 3 tablets and will never touch this tablet again."

Manteit March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed this antibiotic TODAY for sinus pain. Read the leaflet and had doubts as the list of possible side effects was enormous but have been plagued with post nasal drip and face pain for a week so went ahead and took tablet one at about 2 pm. Couldn't finish evening meal although hungry as began to feel very nauseous. An hour later my stomach is gurgling and popping like mad and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I positively detest being physically sick. The very thought of vomiting is making me ill. I also feel jittery a bit like anxiety. This is a nightmare and totally not worth it. Will not be taking gigantic tablet number two bah!"

Abskebabs March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got hit with chills, body aches and an extremely high fever out of no where (started and sky rocketed in an hour). I went to my doctor and she prescribed Clarithromycin - 500mg for 7 days, a nasal spray and ear drops for an ear infection. The first night I took it I did not feel any side effects, the 2nd and 3rd night I felt nauseous, a lot of pain in my abdominal area and could not fall asleep. This drug tastes like horse poo mixed with garbage, it leaves a vile taste in your mouth. However, it has helped with my infection, I am starting to come back to normal and general weakness has left my body. * Someone recommended swishing salt water to help with the taste, if you do this 3-4 times a day IT WILL HELP. Good luck to you all."

Jay124 February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered chronic sinusitis for years and after building up a tolenrece for most antibiotics I was put on clarithromycin. After the first day I was experience severe diarrhea and the awful taste in my mouth, it's now day 4, after the constant chemical taste (absolute torture) and waking up two nights in a row from nightmares I quit. Done taking this and will NEVER take it again. Wasn't helping my sinus infection anyways."

Izzymo February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "After being sick for a month and a half, after a useless round of Amoxclav, my doctor finally prescribed Biaxin and Prednidone for my sinus infection. Within a day I was able to breathe through my nose. My only complaint is the absolutely disgusting aftertaste...and the occasional upset stomach. I think the side effects are worth it as I finally feel good for the first time in weeks."

ElleMichelle999 February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Third time taking a 10 day dose of this medication for reoccurring sinusitis. After the 1st day, I immediately get relief from this medication which is great and around day three I usually feel almost 100% back to normal but I do experience the metallic taste in my mouth, upset stomach this time around for some unknown reason and all three times I developed yeast infections (never had one in my life before until I took this medicine, I also take a daily acidophilus supplement which does nothing for the yeast infection in my case). For those reasons I am not a huge fan of this but am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs."

Anonymous January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been sick for nearly 3 weeks now. I had pneumonia and a sinus infection. I had a full course of Levaquin and 60mg of Prednisone a day, and while it did help at first, it did not clear up the sinus infection. 2 days after taking my last dose I couldn't breathe and had the sinus infection trigger a migraine causing me to throw up on top of everything else. I was rushed to the Dr. where I was given 3 shots (Steroids, Rocephen, and Tordal/Zofran) and put on 500mg twice a day of Clarithromycin. This antibiotic has been a God send for me. Yes my stomach gets crampy, I have mild nausea, and very vivid dreams, but after 4 days of this medicine I am feeling so much stronger. I absolutely recommend it."

Ginna'lyn January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In March 2016 had a very mild sinus infection. Typically other antibiotics work so have no clue why this poison was prescribed. I only made it through the 2nd-3rd dose. Anyway, I had the worst headache that ended with me in the emergency room. I then had tinnitus that sounded like crickets chirping for nearly a month. A couple weeks after ending this I started to have full right arm numbness that kinda worried me and that was immediately followed by vision loss, extreme fatique and confusion. After rounds with doctors I finally got a real scan and it showed I was suffering from an internal carotid dissection. Hello anticoagulant for a pretty healthy 40 year old. I am not sure if it was related to this drug or not. Awful drug."

brewsky (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take the meds as I am also allergic to penicillin. Here's a tip for all you with sinus problems.. quit sniffing stuff up your nose!"

SmarterDanU January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"12.29.16 I too suffer from sinusitis due to a deviated septum. I've become allergic to penicillin, sulfa & doxycycline, made me lose skin, & I'm sensitive to zpack. I know clarithromycin is in the same family as zpack but man did this work for me within 2 days. No colors, facial pain, cough, etc. I do get that weird metallic taste but I just deal with it. I eat greek yogurt with the doses (500mg twice a day) to avoid stomach pain & diarrhea due to the good bacteria in the greek yogurt. I do find myself getting hyper at times while on it & tired but its worth it. As far as not sleeping I use marijuana an INDICA strain (yes it makes a difference) in the evenings to help sleep. I try to stay hydrated as well, gatorade. It worked wonders for me."

Im your huckleberry (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only been taking this antibiotic for pleurisy and a sinus infection for 3 days. Day 1 bad bitter taste in mouth and terrible thirst. Day 2 diarrhea. Day 3 the worst headache I have ever had. This drug should come with a GIANT warning on the packet. DON'T take this drug it has vile side effects. My Dr has told me to stop it immediately. So I have!"

melonsgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First of all To the people saying biaxin should be off the market, You do realize that there are different kinds of antibiotics and what works for uou wont work for me , and vice versa. For example I am allergic to penicillin and any antibiotic related to it makes me feel awful and worse. But it works for many other people. That being said Biaxin WORKS for me. In fact It instantly worked by the next day when I woke up my nose didnt have green chunks in it anymore. Yes it gives metallic taste. Yes day 3 I have head ache behind my eyes. ( maybe the medication working on the more deeper infected area). If you get a dull headache Take an advil dont stop taking the medication... A migraine I would stop but a mild headache I think is Managable."

Edmonton Alberta Canada (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have chronic Sinisitis, for 20 years now, typically getting 2-3 sinus infections per year that reduce me to rubble for at least 10 days. I should know better at this point than to try yet another antibiotic, but nothing works anymore except Levaquin, and if I build up a resistance to that, I'm in big trouble if I ever get pneumonia. So here I am, up the third night in a row after starting the clarithromycin. I have been nauseous, gassy and utterly uncomfortable--I'm not taking another dose, calling my doctor and sticking to natural remedies. If that doesn't work, then looks like I'll be paying out of pocket for surgery since my sinus scan came back normal."

Lizru December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The "cure" for my sinusitis wasn't worth the morning diarrhea (3 bouts and that would be it for the day), metallic taste in mouth all day, constant nausea/gag reflex, achiness, sleeplessness and lethargy. After taking 3.5 pills, I went down to Walgreen's and bought probiotics and Gatorade. I took the probiotic and a glass of Gatorade and was hungry (hungry!) for the first time in days. They ought to take this crap off the market. Never again. This stuff is like poison."

SoozBlooz November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My sinus infection was hard to diagnose. Thought allergy meds were causing post nasal drip. Then my lungs were inflaming to the point I couldn't play racketball. Got to my allergist, it took a week. By then I was contemplating getting on oxygen by going to the hospital, but prescription finally came for Doxcyclin. Though 22 days of 30 It eased things up. Started the Biaxin just a few days after the end of the Doxcyclin. Dr warned me of aluminum taste Pharmacist warned me of needing food. Never noticed any stomach upset. Stopped taking with food, but always with a big glass of water. Only noticed metalic taste a few times waking up with foam in the back of my throat, but by the 3rd day that was gone. I'm on the 2nd week and starting sprints."

wmwmwmw (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine should be banished from existence. I want to skull drag the doctor for prescribing it. I would rather have the sinus infection than feel the way I do now. If your doctor suggests this medicine, walk off, but not before dumping this horrid medicine down their throats so they can feel it's wrath. I have just about every physical side effect you can get from this junk."

I hate life right now (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"7 days after Doxcyclin took swelling down but didn't get rid of infection . Nasty side effects -Horrible taste extreme thirst , very achey and lethargic has cleared the green gunk , 2 days left."

Mrs Shack October 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have only been on this medicine for two days and I am debating over whether or not I should continue taking the rest. Thankfully no hallucinations or nightmares. However, the aftertaste is horrible. You can't get rid of it. Everything you eat and drink tastes awful. Gum and mints help with the taste. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do when it is time to go to bed. Not sure if the tummy cramps are from the illness or from this medicine."

Anonymous 66 (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Avoiding Levaquin so taking biaxin genic. Felt better but developed sore throat , cold. Not feeling better Still lethargic, severe stomach pain, Indigestion. Called for a substitute but doctor has not followed up yet. Do not recommend this antibiotic!!!"

Sinus infection (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking Clarithromycin (Biaxin). What I am enduring at night amounts to psychological torture, and I pretty well wish I never had to sleep again. Got about 3 hours of sleep last night, and woke up crying. Dreams are extremely vivid and bizarre, have twisted, convoluted plots, and are frightening and emotionally disturbing. I'm starting to feel like it's Nightmare on Elm Street - pass the caffeine, please."

Sleeping with the light on (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016