Can I drink alcohol while taking clarithromycin?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 24, 2023.
Is there any problem with drinking alcohol (beer, wine, etc.) while taking this antibiotic?
Yes, you can safely drink alcohol while taking clarithromycin. Alcohol will not reduce the effectiveness of your medicine.
However, generally, alcohol is best avoided while you are receiving treatment for an infection.
Alcohol can reduce your energy and delay how quickly you recover from illness. It is best avoided until you have finished your antibiotics and are feeling better.
Related medical questions
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- Can Biaxin cause headaches?
- Can clarithromycin be used to treat UTI's?
- Clarithromycin Information for Consumers
- Clarithromycin prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Clarithromycin (detailed)
Related support groups
- Clarithromycin (20 questions, 56 members)