Can I drink alcohol while taking clarithromycin?
Is there any problem with drinking alcohol (beer, wine, etc.) while taking this antibiotic?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Sep 13, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Yes, you can safely drink alcohol while taking clarithromycin. Alcohol will not reduce the effectiveness of your medicine.
However, generally, alcohol is best avoided while you are receiving treatment for an infection.
Alcohol can reduce your energy and delay how quickly you recover from illness. It is best avoided until you have finished your antibiotics and are feeling better.
Related Medical Questions
- Can clarithromycin be used to treat UTI's?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- What antibiotics are used to treat pneumonia?
- Clarithromycin Information for Consumers
- Clarithromycin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Clarithromycin (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Clarithromycin (29 questions, 54 members)