User Reviews for Prepopik

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Prepopik.

Prepopik Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 90 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Prepopik to treat Bowel Preparation

"I don't know why there are so many negative reviews of this. This was my third colonoscopy and this was by far the easiest and most effective prep. The taste as not bad and much better than a gallon of the previous stuff. No bloating, cramping, or vomiting. Took the first dose at 6PM and was going about 7. Took the second at 2:30 and was totally clean by 4:30."

mbusster (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

"I have had many colonoscopies, and this was the worst prep I ever used. None are pleasant, but for me this is the worst. Took the first packet at 2:00pm. It took an hour to start working, and produced several loose bowel movements and lots of cramping and nausea. Took the second dose 6 hours later at 8:pm. Had a loose b.m. within 15 minutes and then nothing until four hours later after lots of cramping and bloating. I have consumed way more liquid then the instructions say to, and it is now 3:00AM and I am still not clean. My scope is scheduled for 11am and my experience tells me there is no way I will be clean by then. I STRONGLY ADVISE you to not use this.................."

jcarndt December 8, 2017

"Coudn't drink the prep. It was disgusting! Didn't even matter how little the volume was. I got both bottles down, but felt bloated and sickly until my procedure was over. Can say I will never use this prep again."

S.F (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

"Took the first dose at 4 and second at 9 pm. Woke up at 3 am with severe chills, nausea and vomiting that then triggered a migraine. Am very weak a day later and cannot remember most of the day, yesterday when I had the colonoscpy"

cyn;ar (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2017

"I used this for preparation of my 1st Colonscopy. The taste was pretty decent, citrus taste. Took 1st dose at 4pm with 40 oz of clear fluids, within 3 hours I was going a lot for a good hour. 2nd dose 10pm with 30 oz of clear fluids, within 1 hour was going again. Procedure was at 7:30am, doctor was pleased with how well I was cleaned out. Procedure went well. Note, follow Drs. and medicines directions. Do not eat heavy a couple days before, Stay hydrated before and during. I have recommended this to others since my procedure in September."

RiaM December 5, 2017

"I was worried after reading some of the comments, so I did a stool softener for 4 days before, and also did liquids for 2.5 days. I got pretty sick of beef and chicken broth! Took my first at 4 pm, just made me feel full, but taste was decent. I did my 5 waters within 2 hours. It started working 30-45 mins, but the stool softener cleaned me out a bit before. I did the other dose at midnight, I was able to go to sleep about 2:30, for my 7 am appt. Everything was fine and I would do this again. I used cold water for my drink it seem to go down better than the flavored drinks I bought."

nice and clean (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2017

"I was prescribed Prepopik for a colonoscopy prep. I have had three colonoscopies in the past and never had a problem getting "clean" by following the instructions. However, with Prepopik this was not the case. The first dose was completely ineffective. I had to urinate almost immediately each time after drinking the prescribed fluid but it did nothing for my bowels. The following morning, taking the second dose, the Prepopik did begin to clean out my colon however not well enough for my early afternoon procedure. My copayment was $75 for this ineffective medication."

Very Dissatisfied November 24, 2017

"I took it as instructed, drank even more water than prescribed and it did not work well. Nothing happened after 1st packet and had some BM after second, but it did not clean me out enough according to my dr. Loved the taste and small amount to drink."

Schp (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

"I am a 36 year old female. This was my first colonoscopy so I was terrified, but Prepopik was great! Has a nice orange flavor and provided a very gentle but thorough cleanse. Per Dr's instructions, I did the split dose method - one packet of prep mixed with 5 ounces of cold water (stir well!) at 6:00 PM the night before procedure followed by 40 ounces clear liquid (I did water and apple juice), and the other packet at 6:00 AM the next morning followed by another 40 ounces clear liquids. My procedure began at 11:00 AM, and by 8:00 AM my bowel movements were all liquid and yellow in color. Procedure went great! A word of advice: the day before prep, eat very light food that is easy to digest - no large, heavy meals."

girlygirl81 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

"Took first 5oz dose at 4 p.m. followed by drinking about four bottles of water ( 5-8oz glasses are recommended). Started to work within 30 minutes. Second dose at 10 o'clock followed with more water. Doesn't taste horrible and works really well."

Gary575 September 29, 2017

"It was $80 co-pay but worked well for me with only five 8-oz cups of water in the evening and three in the morning. I wouldn't be able to drink a gallon of alternative medication with gastritis. Important to follow instructions and mix the powder with water for at least 2-3 minutes, otherwise you will have nausea. It becomes warm when mixed. Set multiple alarms/look at the clock to drink water in recommend intervals. You will likely get an irritation of your butt from flushing out. Be prepared with Vaseline/A&D ointment and warm water baths to relieve the symptoms. I scheduled the appointment for 12:30 pm which was the latest available to avoid getting up at night as you need a few hours for your morning doze to finish working."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

"Second routine colonoscopy - first one phosphasoda prep - not available anymore - terrible but clean bowel. This time on Prepopik - terrible - fainted twice - nausea - and 1/4 not cleaned out - recommended repeat in one year I don't think so - Stuff tasted ok"

Syncope August 21, 2017

"Prepopik is the way to go for colonoscopy prep. Last time I had to drink the 64 ounces of Golightly which was horrible! Sickening taste that made me want to vomit, chills, aches & pains, and just plain horrible. Prepopik was a piece of cake! Starting 7 days prior to procedure by cutting out high fiber foods, nuts & seeds until the day before procedure when I went the liquid diet of basically popsicles, jello, & Sprite Zero. This was probably the worst part of my prep this time simply because I was hungry! Started using the Prepopik at 6:00 pm night before my procedure following the instructions in box and it worked wonderfully without all the other issues! Doc said it cleaned my colon very well too so I don't have to go back for 10 years!"

Colonoscopy Hater (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2017

"This is my fourth colonoscopy...hands down the best prep I've used! Only have to drink 5 oz of prep.. two times about 8 hrs apart...it does not taste bad...the others were horrible I gagged and vomited . Works quickly...so you're not up all night."

Torre August 16, 2017

"My experience has been excellent with this. Between myself, my husband, brother and mother - we have used all different bowel preps and this was BY FAR the easiest and most pleasant tasting one!!!! If you can ask for it - do so!"

LilliS August 9, 2017

"Had a colonoscopy and discovered an aggressive colon cancer in May, had surgery in June to remove the cancerous tissue and resection my bowel in the descending colon. For both my colonoscopy and surgery, my doctor used Prepopik to prepare my bowels. Pleasant taste of cranberry and easy to get down with just a 5oz shot and 5 additional 8oz glasses of water for each process. Best of all of this, my doctor caught my colon cancer early enough before it had a chance to spread. So I'm 100% Cancer Free!"

Cancer Free and Loving It! (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

"I had a colonoscopy today and used Prepopik for bowel preparation. For my last colonoscopy several years ago, I had used Magnesium Citrate and found the Prepopik SO much easier to take, and my doctor said I had a nice, clean colon afterward. The way I took it, I didn't taste it, and it went down very easily. This is what I did: Before drinking the Prepopik, I had a small amount of ginger ale. I prepared the Prepopik with very cold water, and after stirring it as directed, I added a few ice cubes. Using a straw and HOLDING MY NOSE, I sucked that baby right down in several big gulps, and following a recommendation I saw on the internet, I immediately sucked on a lemon! Sounds weird, but it worked!! I seriously didn't taste the stuff!"

Sweetestpea (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

"Was given this for a colonoscopy prep. Drs orders said to begin prep at 4pm and second round at 8pm. Colonoscopy was scheduled at 8 am next day. I started it at 2pm and did second round at 6pm. Had no idea what to expect so wanted to get it over with. Had only heard horror stories about people having to redo the whole test because prep didn't work. Didn't want to go through it again. Took about 40 min for it to work. Didn't have to go running to the bathroom. Also, drinking the 5 glasses of water after, wasn't so bad either. Have to say that the second round worked better than the first. And, it doesn't taste bad either. But colder is better. Finally "ran clear" by 10 pm and was able to sleep. Colonoscopy went well too."

Anonymous July 25, 2017

"I took a packet at 6pm after only having liquids for whole day and had several bowel moments. It was nothing as intense as when I did other prep drinks but I did go. When I did the second packet at 11pm, I immediately vomited . It was pure water . I went to colonoscopy anyway and told Nurse I vomited but thought I was empty. The Dr did the colonoscopy but I was not prepped properly so I now I have to do it again! So annoying!!! I think this concentrated formula is too strong ! Made me feel dizzy and very nauseous. Rather just use old one ."

Ladyinnyc (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

"I was given this as prep for a colonoscopy. I had read negative reviews, but tried it. If you hold your breath and drink down the 5-oz., it's not bad. It gets warm as you mix it and would've been better cold. It started working about 50 min. after I took it. I noticed that warm/hot beverages (black coffee or tea) made it work faster. I had no stomach cramps, etc. with this. After the 10 pm dose, I thought my last trip to the bathroom was around midnight, but it was at 1 am. My doctor said I did a great job with the prep, so I'm sure it worked. I suggest you have a "light" breakfast in the morning - don't eat like you'll be starving for days. I think a heavier breakfast is what keeps people from clearing out quickly. I'll use it again!"

K9Mom2252 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

"I was prescribed this for a diagnostic colonoscopy to investigate bleeding and loose bowels. I was assigned the split dose prep, were you take one dose in the evening and the other the morning of the exam. The first 5 ounce drink was easy to swallow and I was able to follow it with 5 cups of the clear liquid of choice -I chose two water, one chicken stock, one gingerale and one gatorade. After an hour the effects kicked in. I didn't experience any cramping or nausea. I went to bed two hours after taking it, and got up about once an hour for the next four hours. I was running clear at this time and considered skipping dose two. Instead I took half the second dose and fluids. I was perfectly clear for exam."

ItsSunnyIntheSouth (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

"Due to a genetic condition that gives me a propensity for colon cancer, I've had more than 25 colonoscopies in the past 40 years and now have them annually. Prepopik changed my life. I used to dread the prep like the plague (the procedures are a piece of cake, and I do them without drugs!) but now, other than a little sleep deprivation, Prepopik makes it easy. I understand some people have trouble tolerating the stuff, but I've had no side effects and no problems."

CFB1 May 24, 2017

"Today I started my prep at 4pm as instructed. I then drank a container of broth 32 ounces, ginger ale, and water. Way more than the & cups I was prescribed. All this caused was nausea and stomach cramps. Not one BM. Second dose at 8pm. Already up to 40 ounces of fluids. I feel bloated. Nothing else. I haven't eaten in 24 hours. Thankfully it was a sample."

MrsSoup67 May 23, 2017

"Took the first dose at 5 PM. Took the second dose at 7 AM the next morning. Colonoscopy was scheduled for 12:30 PM that day. The prep "worked" at 3 PM, after the procedure was cancelled. Plus, it cost $136 out of pocket. Worthless."

Larch5 May 22, 2017

"Most palatable drink for bowel prep I've had to date (compared to 2 previous...but it is pricey depending on how much your insurance will pay: Tricare was good). I followed Dr.s advice on prep and bowel was clean and clear for pictures and work."

poet4 May 20, 2017

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

More about Prepopik (citric acid / magnesium oxide / sodium picosulfate)

Professional resources