User Reviews for Prepopik

Learn more about Prepopik.

Prepopik Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 84 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Prepopik to treat Bowel Preparation

"Had done this process 3 timesbefore, 1st time use Prepopkit. Co-pay is $125 since insurance won't cover this. Followed instruction exactly and no effect ion. No BM after 1st dose, has three after 2nd dose. I have one hour left and still not clean. Sucks."

Zili (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had a colonoscopy every year since I was 10 years old. I am now 31. I have Crohns disease. I have had diarrhea for two weeks, after drinking this, I had the first solid BM. Last time I will let my DR prescribe this as prep."

DrKa (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was having probably my 10th colonoscopy and the Dr prescribed this. What a joke. I have had IBS and uncontrollable diarrhea for the past 2.5 months. All this stuff did was constipate me! I was shocked when the Dr came out afterwards and said they had to abort the procedure! I was completely blocked after 2 days of liquid diet and taking the two doses of Prepopik plus all the water you have to drink after each dose. Two days prior I was having constant diarrhea days prior to this. I don't know what kind of snake oil this is, but it is unfair to paitients, esp, when their procedure has to be aborted!"

Avoid Prepopik! (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"60 yr old female. Second colonoscopy; first time using Prepopik. Dr instructed me to take 2 Dulcolax at noon day before procedure. That started the ball rolling! Then at 5pm first dose of Prepopik. I started drinking water right away. First cleanse started about two hours later. It lasted a few hours. Took second and last dose of Prepopik at 10pm. That cleanse came in about 2 hrs. Lasted about 2 hrs. Procedure next day at 10am was successful. Prepopik worked for me. The Dulcolax certainly helped."

Becky333 January 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"AWFUL AWFUL experience! 4 PM 1st packet with 5 oz of water followed by five 8 oz cups of water%u2026no results at all! 10 PM 2nd packet with three 8 oz cups of water. At 2 AM I called the "on call" doctor to report that there was NO EFFECT. I considered cancelling the appointment. Finally, my bowels started to flush at 3 AM! It's now 3:10 and I am absolutely NOT CLEAR. I will most likely be awake all night and my colonoscopy is at 8:15 AM. I am supposed to arrive at 7:30 to fill out paperwork and I am livid!"

savvykat January 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was scheduled for Colonoscopy this morning but had to reschedule. I was prescribed Prepopik for my prep. I have Gastroparesis and read in the med guide that came with the medicine and noticed it said people who have gastric retention should NOT take this prep. I called my doctors office with this info and concern and they assured me I would be fine. I took my first dose of prep medicine at 6 p.m.. Nothing happened at all and I ended up falling asleep. I awoke at 2:30 and had one small regular bowel movement. Took second dose at 3 a.m. and nothing happened!! Called doc at 6 since my check in time was to be at 7 a.m. and explained what happened. Cancelled procedure. At around 10:30 it finally kicked in. If you have Gastroparesis don't take"

MandiFi January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Followed the directions to the letter- "Low-Fiber" diet starting 3 days before, liquid-only diet the day before. I took the 1st dose at 4pm and nothing. Took the 2nd dose at 8pm, and nothing. Finally, at 11pm I had a BM. I was up most of the night after that, and was still going when I got to the doctor at 8:30am. In fact, I was still passing stool right before the procedure. Luckily the doctor was still able to biopsy what he needed, but said I was not completely cleaned out at all. "It was like driving through a snow storm." What a waste of 3 prep days! Will use something else next time. Only positives were I had a coupon so it only cost $40, and it didn't taste terrible. But it didn't work, so there's that..."

kellydc2 January 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was given this prep since my first try was rescheduled due to an adverse reaction to Golytely colon prep. At first, I wasn't sure it was working. I was told by my GI to start at 2pm with the first packet in 5oz of liquid and the second packet at 7pm. I heard bowel sounds at 8pm, but nothing moving. I did have to use an enema per Dr orders however, I did have the prep start working within a few minutes after and as I write this... well let's just say it's 11:30pm and I am still awake using the restroom. No cramping, no nausea, no headaches. It is very gentle. I am a 39 year old female and have a history of colitis with severe constipation."

Anonymous January 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had a positive experience with prepopik; the best thing about this style of prep is its allowance for the patient to consume fluids that appeal to her. Although getting the concentrate down in 5ozs or so is mildly unpleasant, it has a fizz to it and could be worse. It took 2.5 hours after ingestion for me to start passing stool, so I was mildly concerned that the prep wouldn't work for me, but I went on to have diarrhea for a few hours, slept most of the rest of the night, and followed the same pattern for the early morning dose, and produced only clear yellow liquid within four hours of the morning dose in time for my procedure. All in all, a positive experience, and I also included white wine in the evening "clear liquids"."

cscharlotte (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am 35 , female, n have ulcerative colitis for all of my life, I have done a ton of preps before. I took my first dose at 10 a.m. today, n it took till 130 to kick in. I was getting worried, but I also was in bed whole time. I drank the fluids, more then it says only because I know our body requires more then we think. The first round was easy n I was relieved, second bout excuse the language but, I'm sure I was yelling as my poor but was on fire! It was that bad, everytime till first dose ran dry. Took my second dose around 5 it is now 715, n it just kicked in. Thankful to say, no burning n it's just liquid. I don't tend to follow the dosing times, I stay on clear liquids all day so nothing solid is being processed. GL!"

Not as bad as before November 10, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I used Prepopik one day prior to my colonoscopy. First, it is expensive when not covered by insurance. If I had not had a coupon it would have cost over $100. Second, it took a while to start working. Lastly, when they did the colonoscopy I was not sufficiently cleaned out and the procedure had to be rescheduled. I will use other more effective methods the next time around."

SammyAndy October 26, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I recently used Prepopik for my first colonoscopy. I am 26 years old and in good health, it was scheduled due to family history. Prepopik was easy to take, I had a lighter day of eating the day before Prepopik started. On the day of preparation I was on a liquid diet all day and drank the most fluids I ever have. The Prepopik was easy to take, it just burned it a little. However, after my colonoscopy the doctor informed me that the Prepopik had not done a very good job cleaning me out. I need to go back in a year. It was recommended that next time to be on a soft diet 3-5 days beforehand (eggs, potato soup, protein) and to ask doctor about taking magnesium sulfate as a laxative the day before preparation. I will not be using Prepopik again."

Christy O October 24, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I prepared for my first colonoscopy at 50 by taking preponik. The taste was fine--almost like a lemony Tang. My first run took about 4hrs, and then it lasted for about 2 hrs off and on. I'll take the 2nd dose in a.m. before procedure. at 2"

Virgin Colon (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prepopik is by far the easiest prep to actually take. Easy to throw back and then chase with 40oz of whatever clear liquid you can tolerate and enjoy. If you ate normally up until the day of the prep and/or have slow-ish bowels, I would try to start earlier rather than later. I took the first dose at 5 and it took until about 8:30 to start getting real results. 11pm dose was still working on and off until 2am and I had to get up a couple times after that. The benefit is that it works slowly and gently. Lots of "tummy talking" and noises happening, but no pain, bloating, or nausea. Took longer to run clear than past preps, but worth the tolerability!"

VintageAerith (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 52 and this was my first colonoscopy. I got a coupon from the Dr and my insurance covered the rest. The taste is not bad it's only 5oz so it's really easy to drink. After the first dose it started working within an hour. After multiple trips to the bathroom I took dose #2 it took about 6 more hours until the output was what I assume the desired yellow. The procedure was the easiest part of the whole process. Afterwards I slowly started eating and drinking again and the watery output continued for about 12 hours until things got back to normal. If I have to do this again I will use Prepopik."

NewbieColon (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Wow what a Positive experience, I ate a soft diet two days before and an all liquid diet on the day before ( as directed ) My first drink at 4 p.m. went sown so easy, there was so little (5oz) it was nothing to get down. With-in 45 mins. I was off and running. No Cramping, No pain at all. at 10 p.m. I drank cup number two, began working right a way still no cramping or any other issues. it was off to bed and the next day off to the Doctor. Very clean and great experience,,, well as great as this type procedure can be..."

Keith185 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was my first colonoscopy and was very nervous but with prepopik is was so easy, no pain and cramping and very easy to drink. I was worried I didn't empty enough but doctor said I was completely clean!"

Theresa's first time 51 September 22, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Taken exactly as instructed. Not effective at all. Procedure rescheduled."

SurfGuy (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was my first colonoscopy and chose Preponik because it would be easier to drink. I normally have constipation problems so I was concerned that it would not work. I mixed it very very well with cold water (3 minutes of mixing) at 4 pm and drank it. It had a nice flavor like orange tang. Then I drank the 8oz of water (one every 30 mintues). I was able to have a bm after 1 hour. Then I had a dozen for the next 3 hours. I was able to go to bed and sleep. No cramping. No nausea. The next morning, I drank the mixture at 3 am and the 8oz of water (every 30 minutes). I did 4 waters until 6 am because my colonoscopy was at 10:20 am and I was not supposed to have fluids 4 hours before. Preponik worked great. I would highly recommend it,"

DonnaFirstTime September 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was my third colonoscopy and had never had problems before with other prep kits. This one did me in. I woke up the day of the procedure feeling queasy, and sure enough, about 40 minutes after drinking the prep, I was vomiting profusely. I had to run the drug store to get magnesium citrate to complete the process, but got sick after that as well. Luckily, I kept the latter down long enough to get the necessary affect. My gastro was not happy that I'd had the problem. He apologized profusely and said that was the last one he was prescribing. Too many patients were reporting problems."

jag62 September 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I read these reviews religiously before my first colonoscopy a few weeks ago. My experience with prepopik was very positive. I took the first dose around 5:40 pm. Within 40 minutes I was on the toilet. This was on and off until 11. I fell asleep and woke up for the 2nd dose at 2:30. This time I was not able to complete the required liquids. I was so nauseated. I finished up around 5 and slept until my appointment time. The diarrhea was a liquid from the beginning, and I was petrified that my colon was not clean enough. Turns out, it was gorgeous. My colonoscopy went without a hitch. my only complaint is nausea, and that wasn't too awful."

Mistybmc (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Easy to take especially with all the clear liquids now available ((core peach water etc) clear broth,ginger ale, etc. First dose worked after about two hours. 3:30 am dose worked after 2 hours. Cost was $140 with $10 off from my insurance. Well worth it. Very different from my last prep. Tip: eat lightly a couple of days before prep."

D5310 September 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 53 and this was my third colonoscopy. I did not do well with the bowel preps from my first two colonoscopies. I had difficulty keeping the prep solution down and it made me sick for a week after the procedures. In comparison, Prepopik was fantastic. It was still a bowel prep, but a lot less traumatic on my system. The taste wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. I only had one small BM with the first dose and worried that it wasn't working, but the second dose kicked my system into gear. I took it at 10pm, but was able to fall asleep around 1:00am. The other preps kept me up all night. I won't be signing up for extra colonoscopies, but Prepopik will make the mandatory ones much easier! Thank you!"

allyg (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was my fifth colonoscopy but my first with Prepopik. Compared to having to consume huge volumes of disgusting fluid in previous colonoscopies, this was not so bad. The Prepopik itself was not bad tasting--it had a citrus flavor. I had to drink 40 oz. of water over five hours after taking the first dose the night before the procedure. About 45 minutes after the first dose, it started working. When I went to bed, I was concerned that it was not working because I had a lot fewer BMs than with previous colonoscopies. The morning of the procedure, I had to get up at 4:30 (four hours before the actual procedure) to take another does followed by 24 fluid oz. of water over an hour. Doctor said I was super clean, so it worked fine!"

All pooped out (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"36 y.o. Was prescribed prepopik for prep for colonoscopy. I was suprised that it was only 2 ,5 oz glasses of prep when everyone complains about drinking a gallon. After one 5 oz cup it took 90 minutes for first BM. I could easily make it to the toilet. I had 3 watery BM then it stopped. 5 hours after first one I took the second dose. No BM till morning. It wasn't very bad so I was worried it wouldn't be clear for the colonoscopy, but it was great. Very easy . The drug cost me 100$ after insurance."

Ashim376 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No
Page 1 2 3 4 Next

More about Prepopik (citric acid / magnesium oxide / sodium picosulfate)

Professional resources