User Reviews for Prepopik

Learn more about Prepopik.

Prepopik Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Prepopik to treat Bowel Preparation

"I took the split dose at 8:00 pm within a hour I was sick to my stomach. At 1:30 I started throwing up while sitting on the toilet. I have not felt so nauseous in a long time. At 2:30 am I was scheduled to take another dose which I promptly started throwing up. I was still very nauseated until the colonscopy at 7:30am. I now am scheduled for another colonscopy because the bowels were not clean enough in 5 years even though there was no polyps or any other issues. I will never have another colonscopy because of my experience."

Smalleek April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"75 year old female with IBS. I will never take Prepopik again. I have hemorrhoids, and because the packet material contains citric acid, every time I relieved myself, I was in extreme pain. It was as if a hot poker were touching the rectal area. Many tears and muffled screams later, I could claim I was clear. It cost me $140 - no coupon and Medicare did not cover it."

PattyA (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prepopik has been the most effective pre-colonoscopy solution I've ever used. Since my mother died of colon cancer in her early 40s I started to have colonoscopy tests early in my life. The large bottles of solution I've had to drink previously were unbearable to me. I've had to postpone tests because I was unable to drink the horrible stuff and "the day before" was always a nightmare. This time the only medicinal potions I've had were two five ounce drinks which were actually not horrible. They did the job - boy, did they ever. Cleansed me of everything, including my dignity. Started to work after some two hours and did not cease. Post the procedure I had two bouts of diarrhea immediately after coming home, and then I was fine."

avidreader111 April 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Aside from the out of pocket cost ($130.00 for me) I would recommend this drug. It was effective in cleaning out my colon without having to drink copious amounts of fluid. I chose the Orange flavor and it reminded me of powdered Tang orange juice - not unpleasant at all. Better chilled if possible. I followed the split dose regimen. It took about 90 minutes for the first dose to start working, but the process lasted about 2 hours. I did experience a slight, passing feeling of nausea at first, but it subsided once things got moving. The second dose, next morning, took about the same amount of time to work, but the process only lasted about an hour, My physician reported that colon prep was "excellent"."

Martha LR (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I followed the directions my DR. gave me - 1 packet at 5 with 5 8oz glasses of clear liquid to drink in 2 hours after that. Started going within an hour. Took the 2nd packet at 10:00 and have been in the bathroom a lot. No doubt I will be totally clear by the AM. This is great. I had $40 coupon for the product from the DR so cost wasn't bad at all. Will use the product again the next time."

colonac March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"F, 26, 150 lbs. Was given Prepopik because I had issues keeping down the normal prep. Was given three packets of miralax and the prepotik kit. I didn't have to start until 6pm the before the colonoscopy, so I was able to work the day before - first perk right off the bat. I took the miralax packets, one each morning, the three days leading to my prep. My stool was already soft by the time prep day came, which helped. Got home from work at 5:30 and started. I was going to the bathroom 30 minutes to an hour after. No intense cramps or discomfort, just the urge to run to the bathroom lol. Woke up at 4:30am to finish second half. The Dr performed the colonoscopy later that day with no issues. Love this product, worked great for me!"

LadySmith March 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After viewing videos of previous "preps" that required hours and hours of drinking huge amounts of solutions, I was happy to read that Prepopik only required two relatively small doses. I have to say at first I was worried because it didn't kick in until 3 hours passed. But then, it worked well and cleaned me out well. I followed dietary restriction to a "T" and drank plenty of fluids. The "bowel cleansing" process ain't fun - lots of time on the toilet. But, once this product started, it worked well. I did the same day dose: first at 4pm, second at 9:30. The unpleasantness is really just staying up most of the night using the bathroom, but my early am colonoscopy went without a hitch. My only critique is that it would "kick in" sooner."

First Time Colo (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I did the split dose regimen & don't think it would have cleaned me out good enough all on its lonesome. Fortunately, I put myself on a low-residue diet a couple days prior to prep day plus I took 3 Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) tabs the night before prep day and then another 3 tabs the evening before the procedure. Reading other reviews got me worrying the Prepopik might not do the job completely so that's why I decided to tweak my prep a bit. The taste of the prep isn't too bad and thank goodness a pretty small amount to drink compared to the other 2 prep options my doctor offered. Out of pocket was $40 (after insurance and a $40 coupon my doc gave me.)"

All Clean (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Third colonoscopy, first time with this prep. Positive: can eat eggs and cheese the day before the procedure Negative: Expensive and did not completely clean me out I did the 2 step process. 4pm day before tool the initial dose followed by five 8 oz glasses of water. Experienced results in 1 1/2 hour and then for the next 8 hours. The next morning at 4:15 took the 2nd dose followed by five glasses of water with NO results whatsoever. Nothing. Called the endoscopy clinic at 7am and they said to come in early for my appointment. I had to have a tap water enema to finish the prep. My colonoscopy was at 10:45am and I was home by 1pm. At 4:00pm I started getting explosive watery stools like the prep started working 8 hours later!"

Chicago runner (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had done this process 3 timesbefore, 1st time use Prepopkit. Co-pay is $125 since insurance won't cover this. Followed instruction exactly and no effect ion. No BM after 1st dose, has three after 2nd dose. I have one hour left and still not clean. Sucks."

Zili (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had a colonoscopy every year since I was 10 years old. I am now 31. I have Crohns disease. I have had diarrhea for two weeks, after drinking this, I had the first solid BM. Last time I will let my DR prescribe this as prep."

DrKa (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was having probably my 10th colonoscopy and the Dr prescribed this. What a joke. I have had IBS and uncontrollable diarrhea for the past 2.5 months. All this stuff did was constipate me! I was shocked when the Dr came out afterwards and said they had to abort the procedure! I was completely blocked after 2 days of liquid diet and taking the two doses of Prepopik plus all the water you have to drink after each dose. Two days prior I was having constant diarrhea days prior to this. I don't know what kind of snake oil this is, but it is unfair to paitients, esp, when their procedure has to be aborted!"

Avoid Prepopik! (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"60 yr old female. Second colonoscopy; first time using Prepopik. Dr instructed me to take 2 Dulcolax at noon day before procedure. That started the ball rolling! Then at 5pm first dose of Prepopik. I started drinking water right away. First cleanse started about two hours later. It lasted a few hours. Took second and last dose of Prepopik at 10pm. That cleanse came in about 2 hrs. Lasted about 2 hrs. Procedure next day at 10am was successful. Prepopik worked for me. The Dulcolax certainly helped."

Becky333 January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"AWFUL AWFUL experience! 4 PM 1st packet with 5 oz of water followed by five 8 oz cups of water%u2026no results at all! 10 PM 2nd packet with three 8 oz cups of water. At 2 AM I called the "on call" doctor to report that there was NO EFFECT. I considered cancelling the appointment. Finally, my bowels started to flush at 3 AM! It's now 3:10 and I am absolutely NOT CLEAR. I will most likely be awake all night and my colonoscopy is at 8:15 AM. I am supposed to arrive at 7:30 to fill out paperwork and I am livid!"

savvykat January 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was scheduled for Colonoscopy this morning but had to reschedule. I was prescribed Prepopik for my prep. I have Gastroparesis and read in the med guide that came with the medicine and noticed it said people who have gastric retention should NOT take this prep. I called my doctors office with this info and concern and they assured me I would be fine. I took my first dose of prep medicine at 6 p.m.. Nothing happened at all and I ended up falling asleep. I awoke at 2:30 and had one small regular bowel movement. Took second dose at 3 a.m. and nothing happened!! Called doc at 6 since my check in time was to be at 7 a.m. and explained what happened. Cancelled procedure. At around 10:30 it finally kicked in. If you have Gastroparesis don't take"

MandiFi January 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Followed the directions to the letter- "Low-Fiber" diet starting 3 days before, liquid-only diet the day before. I took the 1st dose at 4pm and nothing. Took the 2nd dose at 8pm, and nothing. Finally, at 11pm I had a BM. I was up most of the night after that, and was still going when I got to the doctor at 8:30am. In fact, I was still passing stool right before the procedure. Luckily the doctor was still able to biopsy what he needed, but said I was not completely cleaned out at all. "It was like driving through a snow storm." What a waste of 3 prep days! Will use something else next time. Only positives were I had a coupon so it only cost $40, and it didn't taste terrible. But it didn't work, so there's that..."

kellydc2 January 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this prep since my first try was rescheduled due to an adverse reaction to Golytely colon prep. At first, I wasn't sure it was working. I was told by my GI to start at 2pm with the first packet in 5oz of liquid and the second packet at 7pm. I heard bowel sounds at 8pm, but nothing moving. I did have to use an enema per Dr orders however, I did have the prep start working within a few minutes after and as I write this... well let's just say it's 11:30pm and I am still awake using the restroom. No cramping, no nausea, no headaches. It is very gentle. I am a 39 year old female and have a history of colitis with severe constipation."

Anonymous January 5, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a positive experience with prepopik; the best thing about this style of prep is its allowance for the patient to consume fluids that appeal to her. Although getting the concentrate down in 5ozs or so is mildly unpleasant, it has a fizz to it and could be worse. It took 2.5 hours after ingestion for me to start passing stool, so I was mildly concerned that the prep wouldn't work for me, but I went on to have diarrhea for a few hours, slept most of the rest of the night, and followed the same pattern for the early morning dose, and produced only clear yellow liquid within four hours of the morning dose in time for my procedure. All in all, a positive experience, and I also included white wine in the evening "clear liquids"."

cscharlotte (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 35 , female, n have ulcerative colitis for all of my life, I have done a ton of preps before. I took my first dose at 10 a.m. today, n it took till 130 to kick in. I was getting worried, but I also was in bed whole time. I drank the fluids, more then it says only because I know our body requires more then we think. The first round was easy n I was relieved, second bout excuse the language but, I'm sure I was yelling as my poor but was on fire! It was that bad, everytime till first dose ran dry. Took my second dose around 5 it is now 715, n it just kicked in. Thankful to say, no burning n it's just liquid. I don't tend to follow the dosing times, I stay on clear liquids all day so nothing solid is being processed. GL!"

Not as bad as before November 10, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used Prepopik one day prior to my colonoscopy. First, it is expensive when not covered by insurance. If I had not had a coupon it would have cost over $100. Second, it took a while to start working. Lastly, when they did the colonoscopy I was not sufficiently cleaned out and the procedure had to be rescheduled. I will use other more effective methods the next time around."

SammyAndy October 26, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I recently used Prepopik for my first colonoscopy. I am 26 years old and in good health, it was scheduled due to family history. Prepopik was easy to take, I had a lighter day of eating the day before Prepopik started. On the day of preparation I was on a liquid diet all day and drank the most fluids I ever have. The Prepopik was easy to take, it just burned it a little. However, after my colonoscopy the doctor informed me that the Prepopik had not done a very good job cleaning me out. I need to go back in a year. It was recommended that next time to be on a soft diet 3-5 days beforehand (eggs, potato soup, protein) and to ask doctor about taking magnesium sulfate as a laxative the day before preparation. I will not be using Prepopik again."

Christy O October 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I prepared for my first colonoscopy at 50 by taking preponik. The taste was fine--almost like a lemony Tang. My first run took about 4hrs, and then it lasted for about 2 hrs off and on. I'll take the 2nd dose in a.m. before procedure. at 2"

Virgin Colon (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prepopik is by far the easiest prep to actually take. Easy to throw back and then chase with 40oz of whatever clear liquid you can tolerate and enjoy. If you ate normally up until the day of the prep and/or have slow-ish bowels, I would try to start earlier rather than later. I took the first dose at 5 and it took until about 8:30 to start getting real results. 11pm dose was still working on and off until 2am and I had to get up a couple times after that. The benefit is that it works slowly and gently. Lots of "tummy talking" and noises happening, but no pain, bloating, or nausea. Took longer to run clear than past preps, but worth the tolerability!"

VintageAerith (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 52 and this was my first colonoscopy. I got a coupon from the Dr and my insurance covered the rest. The taste is not bad it's only 5oz so it's really easy to drink. After the first dose it started working within an hour. After multiple trips to the bathroom I took dose #2 it took about 6 more hours until the output was what I assume the desired yellow. The procedure was the easiest part of the whole process. Afterwards I slowly started eating and drinking again and the watery output continued for about 12 hours until things got back to normal. If I have to do this again I will use Prepopik."

NewbieColon (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow what a Positive experience, I ate a soft diet two days before and an all liquid diet on the day before ( as directed ) My first drink at 4 p.m. went sown so easy, there was so little (5oz) it was nothing to get down. With-in 45 mins. I was off and running. No Cramping, No pain at all. at 10 p.m. I drank cup number two, began working right a way still no cramping or any other issues. it was off to bed and the next day off to the Doctor. Very clean and great experience,,, well as great as this type procedure can be..."

Keith185 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next

More about Prepopik (citric acid / magnesium oxide / sodium picosulfate)

Professional resources