User Reviews for GoLYTELY

GoLYTELY has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 63 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed GoLYTELY reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Bowel Preparation
6.2
Constipation, Chronic
Summary of GoLYTELY reviews 6.4 63 reviews

Reviews for GoLYTELY

JCG · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2021

For Constipation, Chronic: “It tastes terrible but here's how I do it and it works super well. Have a 8 oz cup of GoLYTELY, an 8 oz glass of water and a cup of mouthwash ready to go next to each other. Hold your nose and drink the GoLYTELY as fast as possible, then IMMEDIATELY rinse your mouth with mouthwash after you swallow the GoLYTELY. Spit out the mouthwash and drink the glass of water. Repeat every 10-15 minutes until you have completed your GoLYTELY consumption. I had absolutely no problem at all with the taste doing this. I was peeing out of my butt in no time, and that part is not fun, but the prep itself was a breeze using this method. Good luck!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more February 19, 2021

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have a disease called hischsprungs that causes chronic constipation and every 2 years or so I have to do a complete clean out. I've had to this my whole life and I've never been able to get rid of the taste. Things that have made it more bearable is drinking it cold, and taking sips of sprite (it is a clear liquid that goes with my conditions and the carbonation and flavor has helped offset the taste). I usually have to take it in large doses and because of the severity of my condition it has been taken with large doses of senokot.”

Caitlin · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “This is my third time downing this GoLYTELY in my adult life. Twice for severe, chronic constipation via ER and today for the GI Doctor before my Colonoscopy. I have tried it with sodas and Gatorade, but I can always taste the salty bitterness beneath it. This time I am chasing it down with peppermint tea as that is a natural stomach calmer and anti-bloat. Ask your doctor if you can have anti-nausea medication alongside the prep, and do what makes you the most comfortable otherwise. Ice chips, pyjamas, a bath, laying in bed with your favorite show on under your favorite blanket, a cold cloth for any potential sweating, a towel or vomit bag just in case. If you puke, take a short break before continuing. You're gonna be alright by morning, I promise. It will get the job done, even if it tastes bad or makes you cramp up.”

horselover-us March 29, 2016

For Bowel Preparation: “After reading all the horror stories I wanted to cancel procedure so thought I'd share my experience. Honestly NOT THAT BAD! Took as directed, added nothing for flavor. Tasted very salty, just a swig of Apple juice after each 8oz dose, every 15 mins. Had no side effects. No bloating. No gas pains. No discomfort. Had only broth on prep day. Had only a chicken omelet afternoon prior to prep. No cramping with bowel movements. Procedure was a breeze, without the "wind". Hope this helps ease someone's anxiety.”

Fitzgerald · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “This worked perfectly. My directions were to drink half the bottle at 4 PM, and then the other half five hours before my scheduled arrival time for the procedure which was 7 AM. I followed the directions to the T, but nothing happened after the first half of the prep. It did the second though. However my stool was not absolutely clear and still had residue in it at the last movement. I was worried so took a picture and brought it in to the surgery center where the nurse told me that’s absolutely what they looked for, yellow almost clear with sediment. So don’t get discouraged if you are still passing a little bit of “sediment”. I would recommend to also drink additional fluids. I put 3 envelopes of crystal light lemonade in the jug and it tasted EXACTLY like lemonade poured over ice. Had NO problem drinking it down.”

starri February 16, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “This was my second colonoscopy. For my first, the prep was a Miralax prep, this second one was Golytely. I'm an RN, and the difference between the two was markedly different. The Golytley sat in my stomach for the first couple of hours, then it started to work. Too well. I had a couple of accidents without warning. But I'll say this for it: once you begin, you are determined to finish so you don't have to repeat it. There was no real covering the taste, which I compare to salty plastic. I did not experience any nausea. With the Miralax, my tummy actually felt better for a week or so. Not so with the Golytely, which has left me feeling a little inflamed. I think I also cleared better with the Miralax. When it's time to repeat the procedure, I will decline the Golytely prep in favor of the Miralax if possible. Overall, it isn't the end of the world. But this kind of prep is the reason that many people avoid this life-saving procedure.”

Michelle May 5, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “This was absolutely awful. I had the lemon lime flavor. Remember that scene in Harry Potter and the half blood prince, when Dumbledore has to drink the entire potion of despair and begging to not have to drink it anymore?? Like he’d rather be killed than drink it? Literally my experience with this prep.”

Just wasn't that bad · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2017

For Bowel Preparation: “I wouldn't normally review this type of thing, but I had read every horror story on the internet before I took it. It didn't taste "good" and everyone is different, but it was nowhere near as awful as I expected. This is not medical advice, but as other people have suggested: 1. chill it so it's cold when you drink it 2. use a straw 3. As per my doctor, I rinsed my mouth between glasses with ginger ale 4. Based on what I'd read, I ate a low residue diet for the 4 days before (toast, bananas, jello, yogurt, applesauce) and was done with the process in 3 hours. 5. Do some stretches to move your stomach around. My problem turned out to be revealed thru the endoscopy, not colonoscopy. But this wasn't among my top 25 worst experiences in life”

Charles R. · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2016

For Bowel Preparation: “Started drinking this concoction and the very first thing that came to mind was "Why does this stuff have to taste so bad? Why can't it have nice chocolate flavor? Is the science that created it incapable? I mean really, does it need to taste like what it is meant to produce?”

Frieda · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “This product GoLYTELY tasted exactly like drinking ocean water, a sickening experience. It seems there has to be a way for the manufacturer to neutralize the salt and give this product a palatable taste. I did mix it with ice, water and Crystal Light lemonade making it tolerable but that increased 1 gal to approx 1.5gal. I cannot consume 1 gal in 7-8hrs let alone half again as much. Surely there must be plans to stop torturing patients. I have not met anyone who could stand this stuff and it seems that the proscribers have never bothered to taste it.”

MissPoopsAlot · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “I was absolutely terrified of this GoLYTELY prep, I'm 7 glasses in and I haven't puked, no serious cramping, and overall, it's not nearly as bad as what I was expecting. It's doing it's job and it's cleaning me out! I mixed it with powdered lemonade (heavy on the lemonade) and the taste didn't bother me at all. I drank a cup at a time, chilled, and through a straw. The worst part for me is that I'm HUNGRY!!! My procedure is at 7am in the morning and I started my prep at noon the day before. I'll be done before 4pm and then I'll just have to starve until after the procedure. I would say that the worst so far is that my anus is so sore!! And I want to eat!!”

GeorgeTheFirst · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2015

For Bowel Preparation: “This was much easier than expected. First I went on low fiber diet two days before taking it. One day (from mednight ) before procedure I went on clear liquid diet with no solid food. Then took GL at about 6 PM. No reaction until seventh 8 ounce glass of GL. Then it did the job it's designed to do. No pains or cramps. The solution was cold and I got each glass down as fast as comfortably possible. Taste? I didn't notice anything bad about it and did not add any flavoring. It's like drinking a lot of water. Maybe they should have a beer flavor to make it go down even easier.”

Anonymous February 26, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “I had golytely split prep (1/2 night before, remaining, morning of). I mixed it with lemonade mix and it wasn't bad. The evening was fine. I followed the directions and all went well. I had prepared days in advance with very light foods and lots of fluids. With in 4 hours all discharge was completely clear. Went to sleep and woke up an hour later with an excruciating headache, vomiting, trembling and chills. This went on all night. Could not complete the morning prep at all as my stomach lurched when I touched the jug! Still vomiting a bit and headache when I arrived for the procedure. That went fine but now I am 12 hours post procedure, still have a slight headache and a very nauseous stomach. How long does the effects of this remain?? Time will tell I suppose. Take a hard pass on this prep folks!!! There are much less severe options available.”

Nemo57 · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2017

For Bowel Preparation: “After having two other colonoscopies I suggest to drink this without any flavoring, it taste much better that way. Adding the flavor only seems to intensify the salty taste I divided the drink up in the 4 quart containers and drank 1 at a time much easier to do. Drink it through a straw. You have less chance of becoming nauseous . I coated my rump as as suggested by others who had the prep. It really helped. P.S. Thank you to all the people who offered suggestions it really helped. I also drank the prep at room temperature and chilled. The only difference was at room temperature it was a little bit more salty. If you’ve ever mixed baking soda and water for heartburn that’s what this prep reminded me of but, actually tasted better. It was not horrible. At the end I replenished with Gatorade. I also had 3 more clear BM’s the next day which was the morning of my procedure. So you might want to wear a protective pad or something like the depends or take an extra pair of clothes in case you can’t get to the bathroom fast enough.”

Devorah July 17, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “I did the GoLytely prep and not Miralax because it has the electrolytes and there is evidence that it does a better job at bowel lavage. Take 4 tablespoons of olive oil orally hours prior to prep. There are studies out of Turkey and Mexico showing that Olive Oil produces a better prep, especially in the right colon. Eat a low residue diet for days beforehand. Switch to smoothies 24 hours before the procedure. Have your colonoscopy in the afternoon, and start your prep in the early morning. I stopped having smoothies before bedtime, and started prep at 4am. Want to help your GoLytely go down easily? Mix 6 fluid ounces of prep with 2 fluid ounces of clear broth. The prep is salty and you'll only taste broth. Warm it up! Make it cozy. Have coconut water in between glasses of prep. Between my diarrhea and these tips, I needed a liter of prep. And I got a 9 for my bowel cleanliness. Results may vary!”

Huckabee · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “Took GoLytely as directed for a bowel prep and it did not work. I started drinking the prep at 5pm and by the 6 am the following morning I still had not had a bowel movement and I did not urinate for 24 hours. I contacted the so called professionals at the hospital and they were not concerned that it did not work. Their advice was to drink 2 gallons of GoLytely. Most people can barely get 1 gallon down let alone 2. So rather than address why the prep did not work they just ignored it. GoLytely might work for you but it didn't do anything for me.”

MiFii87 · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “I had used Golytely as prep for a colonoscopy. I was required to drink 2 liters between 4-6pm and another 2 liters @ midnight. That’s a lot of liquid. I don’t think I could drink that much of something I loved. Needless to say, I couldn’t get through the first two liters and ended up canceling my procedure because my system was not sufficiently flushed. The taste wasn’t an intense or gross taste—at first. But as I kept drinking, it began to taste like salt water. My body naturally decided that drinking two liters of this stuff was too much and I began vomiting. This was meant to be my second colonoscopy, but my first time using Golytely as the prep. Very disappointed in this stuff and the fact that there are doctors who still use this 4-liter prep approach, when, apparently, there are much better and lesser-volume options available.”

Multiple time user - unfortuna · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 13, 2016

For Bowel Preparation: “Fifth time having the fun of Golytely. I'll share what my pharmacist told me before the first time. Get some hard candy, something you don't normally want, like lemon drops. Suck on the candy while drinking the solution through a straw as quickly as possible. The candy helps to cut the salty taste and going through straw makes it much quicker.”

Subaruowner July 16, 2015

For Bowel Preparation: “Worked as expected. No solid food after dinner two nights before procedure day, clear liquids only, began at 6:00pm, then chased each glass of prep with ginger ale on ice for taste. Important to use straw with prep; helps bypass the taste on tongue. Residual cleansing continued into the night for several hours, but not too inconvenient.”

Condimentplace · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Using this stuff for the first time. Have plenty of soft 2 ply toilet paper on standby, drink the plain with a couple packs of Crystal light mixed in. Don't try to drink every 10 minutes if you are going to puke, a couple extra minutes won't hurt. I drank additional water to help clean out everything and wash the remaining go lightly out. Not a fun experience but cleansed the colon.”

Bill September 24, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Thought it is tastes like water with a hint of salt and a soap-like aftertaste, I found that using a straw towards the back of your throat and quickly getting it down helps. Then, a sip of Gatorade or ginger ale to get the residual taste out helps. Also, I kept mine in a cooler on ice by the commode. 64oz down, 64oz to go in the morning, then the easy part, sweet sleep and a camera in the butt.”

Ameri · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “Low fiber diet for two days before prep. (Salmon, Chicken, Rice, Potato.) The taste of the prep wasn't too bad, I added some flavored lemonade packets to the mix along with lemon flavor that came with it. Super cold helped. I did take three Dulcolax tablets the night before as well and that helped a lot. It took approximately 2.5 hours from the time I started drinking it until everything came out looking like light yellow water. Debating waking up to do the rest at 2:00 am though. ... lol. I drank a little more than half already, but I probably will just to be sure nothing build's up. Good luck and put a smiley face on the bum for the Doctor.”

Anonymous December 4, 2012

For Bowel Preparation: “Wonderful prep. Had slight abdomen pain towards the end. It did exactly what it was meant for. It really was not bad at all!! The only reason it didn't get a ten was because it was a lot to drink. I chugged some. Sipped it. And it took 4 hours to finish but I like this because you do it at your own pace. And once you are empty. No more loose stools!”

Acem · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “I vomited half of the Golytely prep along with most of my insides! Started drinking it at 11:30 am day before colonoscopy and got that half down. At 4:00 pm I tried drinking the other half and vomited it all and then some. My friend brought me an anti nausea suppository after I vomited the anti nausea pill and managed to get the last quarter of the solution down. Headache, nausea, chills, I feel like I drank rat poison. Never again! ”

Chkellball June 13, 2017

For Bowel Preparation: “Had to do my prep before the doctor had to go mining. I chose the unflavored. Used water at room temperature. I would recommend this. Taste a little like salty water. Don't refrigerate it or you will get the chills. It will clean you out! I felt great, I believe, from the Go Lytly alone. Felt great getting the pipes cleaned.”

Kman90 August 15, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic: “I had been constipated for roughly 4 days after quitting drinking this. I foolishly upped my fiber intake by way more than I should have and got myself backed up. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Go-Lytely, which is a terribly ironic name for such a medicine. I already have passed stools and feel a lot better. The taste is awful though, Its like lemonade made with one lemon, no sugar and salty well water.”

Jannie · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2018

For Bowel Preparation: “Ok, it does taste awful. This is what helped... First, hold your nose while you are drinking it. Also, breathe through your mouth. Second, have some sprite or other drink ready to chase it. Third, have something in which to vomit, because you may vomit. Fourth, be near a toilet. Fifth, have some really soft toilet paper ready. A lot of toilet paper. Overall, it wasn’t the worst thing I have had to do, but it is in definitely on the list. I did feel extremely nauseous after and weak. My entire digestive track felt like it was on fire and my anus was very sore.”

Jen9899 June 28, 2016

For Bowel Preparation: “Oh my God!! I am really glad that I have eaten really lightly for the last few days and nothing at all today. It works alright! Felt full and kind of bloated after the first glass and by the third, I was running for the bathroom. Still have half to go but am afraid to leave the bathroom to drink it! They better get a good look tomorrow because I am not doing this again! Lol”