Generic name: Polyethylene Glycol 3350 236g in 4L, Sodium Sulfate Anhydrous 22.74g in 4L, Sodium Bicarbonate 6.74g in 4L, Sodium Chloride 5.86g in 4L, Potassium Chloride 2.97g in 4L
Dosage form: oral powder
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
GoLYTELY, supplied as a powder, must be reconstituted with water before its use; it is not for direct ingestion [see Dosage and Administration (2.2), Warnings and Precautions (5.8)]. The 4 liter reconstituted GoLYTELY solution contains: 236 grams of polyethylene glycol (PEG) 3350, 22.74 grams sodium sulfate (anhydrous), 6.74 grams of sodium bicarbonate, 5.86 grams of sodium chloride, and 2.97 grams of potassium chloride. GoLYTELY is also available with pineapple flavor.
Administration Instructions Prior to Dosage
On the day prior to the colonoscopy, instruct patients to:
- Take only clear liquids, but avoid red and purple liquids. Patients may consume a light breakfast.
- Early in the evening prior to colonoscopy, fill the supplied container containing the GoLYTELY powder with lukewarm water (to facilitate dissolution) to the 4 liter fill line. The solution is clear and colorless when reconstituted to a final volume of 4 liters.
- After capping the container, shake vigorously several times to ensure that the ingredients are dissolved. When reconstituted use within 48 hours.
The following is the recommended dose of reconstituted GoLYTELY solution for adults. Instruct patients they may consume water or clear liquids during the bowel preparation and after completion of the bowel preparation up until 2 hours before the time of the colonoscopy. The solution is more palatable if chilled prior to administration.
- Adults: Instruct patients to drink a total of up to 4 liters at a rate of 240 mL (8 oz.) every 10 minutes, until 4 liters are consumed or the rectal effluent is clear. Rapid drinking of each portion is preferred to drinking small amounts continuously. For NGT, rate is 20-30 mL per minute (1.2 – 1.8 liters per hour).
The first bowel movements should occur approximately one hour after the start of GoLYTELY administration. Continue drinking until the watery stool is clear and free of solid matter.
More about GoLYTELY (polyethylene glycol 3350 with electrolytes)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 27 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: laxatives