Generic name: POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL 3350 236g in 4L, SODIUM SULFATE ANHYDROUS 22.74g in 4L, SODIUM BICARBONATE 6.74g in 4L, SODIUM CHLORIDE 5.86g in 4L, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 2.97g in 4L
Dosage form: oral powder
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on June 19, 2020.
Important Preparation and Administration Instructions
- Correct fluid and electrolyte abnormalities before treatment with GoLYTELY [see Warnings and Precautions ( 5.1)] .
- Reconstitute GoLYTELY with water prior to ingestion, do not take undissolved GoLYTELY [see Dosage and Administration ( 2.2)] .
- Do not take oral medications within 1 hour before the start of or during administration of GoLYTELY [see Drug Interactions ( 7.2)] .
- Do not take other laxatives while taking GoLYTELY [see Drug Interactions ( 7.3)] .
- Consume only clear liquids, avoid red and purple liquids.
- Patients may consume water or other clear liquids during the bowel preparation and after completion of the bowel preparation up until 2 hours before the time of the colonoscopy.
- The solution is more palatable if chilled prior to administration.
- Do not consume solid food within 2 hours before starting GoLYTELY. For the best results, do not consume solid food for 3 to 4 hours before drinking the solution.
- If severe bloating, distention or abdominal pain occurs, slow or temporarily discontinue GoLYTELY until the symptoms abate.
Instruct adult patients that on the day before the colonoscopy procedure, they may consume a light breakfast at least 2 hours before starting GoLYTELY. Begin the recommended dosage regiment for GoLYTELY early in the evening on the day before colonoscopy.
Instruct patients to take GoLYTELY in conjunction with clear liquids as follows:
4 Liter Jug
- Fill the supplied container containing the GoLYTELY powder with lukewarm drinking water to the 4-liter fill line
- Do not add any other ingredients, flavors, etc.
- After capping the container, shake vigorously several times to ensure that the ingredients are dissolved.
- Drink at a rate of 8 ounces every 10 minutes until the entire contents are consumed or the rectal effluent is clear. A loose watery bowel movement should result in approximately one hour.
- After reconstitution, keep solution refrigerated 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F). Do not freeze. Use within 48 hours, discard unused portion.
Administration via a Nasogastric Tube
For patients with a nasogastric tube, administer the reconstituted GoLYTELY solution at a rate of 20 to 30 mL per minute (1.2 to 1.8 liters per hour).
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about GoLYTELY (polyethylene glycol 3350 with electrolytes)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 61 Reviews
- Drug class: laxatives