User Reviews for Subutex to treat Opiate Dependence

Subutex has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 92 ratings for the treatment of Opiate Dependence. 89% of those users who reviewed Subutex reported a positive effect, while 2% reported a negative effect.

Subutex Rating Summary

9.0/10 average rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Subutex

Mo · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 6, 2021

“I was on subutex for 3 years because Suboxone gives me migraines. I was an IV heroin addict for 6 years before starting subutex. In 3 years I had zero cravings, got my life together, and had a beautiful son who experienced minimal withdrawal symptoms after being born. Subutex changed my life. The only negative side effects were a lack of sex drive and constipation. I weaned from 16mg to .25 mg in about 5 months. I stopped taking subutex 18 days ago. Withdrawal symptoms didn't start until day 7. Withdrawal was minimal after tapering so low. I am experiencing some depression now, but the cravings are non existent still. Subutex gave me the clean time I needed to stay clean after subutex. I would recommend this medication to anyone trying to stop taking opioids or heroin. Many of my friends from addiction are now functional adults as well. Subutex and Suboxone are miracle medications.”

Angel · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2021

“I had a 10 year addiction to Vicodin. I have been on Subutex for 6 years now without relapsing once. I almost lost everything in my life before Subutex. I have been back to normal life for 7 years, working, have my own place, a better mom, because I'm not on that constant hunt for opioids. I take my med faithfully every day.”

A Friend January 17, 2021

“After taking pain relievers everyday for years, I would be taking them just to avoid withdrawal, I literally woke up everyday with withdrawal and even if I wanted to stop I couldn’t because I was so afraid of withdrawal. I was prescribed Subutex 8mg twice a day. I was so scared it wouldn’t work or would have bad side effects but I finally did it, I woke up with withdrawal as usual and even though I was nervous and scared I took the Subutex and it worked!! Totally stopped my withdrawal completely within a few minutes, the same or even better than if I had taken a Percocet. This is literally a miracle drug I am still amazed how well it works, absolutely zero withdrawal and absolutely zero bad side effects. I know how scared you are about going through withdrawal but with this unbelievable drug Subutex you can stop taking painkillers with no withdrawal it’s really amazing I hope this helps someone one day”

Reddd August 19, 2013

“If this medicine is used correctly it can save your life! I have been on the medicine about 2 years. Night and day from what I once was to what I am now! I used medicines (all of them) for 15 years. Now I have been medicine free for as long as I been on this medicine. I know it only treats opiate use but for whatever reason it has helped me through it all. This medicine has without a doubt saved my life. I went from never having anything to now new truck, nice house, and most importantly my kids have a life I always dreamed of. Just thought I should share.”

Jwayne April 18, 2020

“I have been on Subutex for 2 years now. Before I was into pain pills , then moved up to heroin for about 8 years. A lot of people blame the drug for just not working but you have to be ready to stop getting high. This last attempt to stop I was desperate went to a 120 day treatment facility and started Subutex and have now been clean a lil over 2 years. A lot of people say I'm trading one addiction for another and that's fine at least now I'm not sticking a needle in my arm or hurting the people I love to get another fix. When I started Subutex I was jobless living in a homeless shelter and now. I have a house, job, car and kids back in my life . I've seen people leaving comments bashing the drug or praising it. Look it's different for everybody. No I do not give the drug all the credit because you need to have the desire to stop getting high for it to work to begin with. Just like NA and AA Subutex isn't the cure all. It can help if you really want it to tho !”

Anastasia · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 19, 2019

“I have been on 12mg of Buprenorphine since 2012. I was always scared to detox myself up until about 2 weeks ago. I dropped from 12mg to 8mg with no discomfort....waited a few days and decided to go to 4mg ...waited a few days and now I am on 2mg. I am fine! I urge you to try to quit after you've improved your life if you can. I feel as though I've gotten max benefit from Subutex and now it is time to live sober. I've gained tons of weight and I really want off of the Buprenorphine. It is crucial to take the last bit of detox slowly. I hope I'll be okay and not riding on 7 years worth of bup stored in my system only to await unheard of withdrawal.”

Lisa Kittrell · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2016

“I truly believe this drug is a miracle drug. I had been on high doses of oxycodone, methadone, oxycontin 80 mg, and opana 30 ER for about 14 years and when I tried to stop on my own the w/d's were so bad that it was impossible for me. I was put on subutex for 2 months (my choice for discontinuing) 8 mg a day. I weaned myself off within two months and I did experience very slight w/d's, but nothing I couldn't deal with for about 2 weeks. Mainly I believe that I just didn't know how to live drug free so my emotions were like a roller coaster for a couple weeks. Pushing through though is the key because your mind will tell you this will never end, but it does and pretty quick if you stay committed and stay away from bad choices.”

Savedmylife June 19, 2015

“Saved my life. Over 5 yrs clean, followed Drs orders and it's been a Godsend, also: tdp12345, if you are not feeling supported and able to get off of it right now than stay on it, who says you have to ween off quickly? This medication has been very successful as a long term treatment option for addiction just like people with diabetes take their insulin. My opinion is the positives of this miracle drug outweigh the risks of what could happen if you let your cravings take you to drugs again. Do what "YOU" have to do for "YOU". Don't listen to what others think. Find a good doctor who cares and stay on a treatment that works for you. God Bless.”

Priscilla4459 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 28, 2020

“I was on opiates from age 13. At 20 I was introduced to heroin. Then I found out about subutex and started taking it per doc. I started at 8mg a day, YOU DON'T NEED A LOT. I can’t stress that enough. Tapered down to 4mg then 2 mg over the first 6 months, then to 1 mg which was a jump but I was stable. I quit subs because I was just tired of handing the doc all my money and tired of being dependent. Withdrawal is as bad as you make it. If you keep telling yourself it’s terrible, it will be. If you stay positive and busy, it’s manageable. Day 4 and going strong, been a couple rough moments but ITS MANAGEABLE. Nothing you can’t handle!! Best luck”

RenewedAgain April 20, 2009

“I have been like many others; off and on this hell of a roll-a-coaster wondering when and where it's going to stop. Even after I had 7, yes 7 overdoses in the past year I still couldn't find a way to get off. The only thing that I feel that has helped me to understand and HELP me get clean is Subutex/Suboxone but like many will say you must want this more than anything and as bad as you can taste the end of this crazy ride, and you are sick and just about to jump off, there are people there to catch you. I believe if you stay strong and stick to these life saving medications, you can finally have a sober life. I wish everyone the best and please remember there are many people who love and care about you. Life is worth the fight. ”

Cindilouwho · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 25, 2020

“Subutex saved my life. I had been opioid dependent for 7 years. From one 5mg a day to 100mg just not to feel sick. I've been on 8mg to 16mg subutex for 5 months..and although I still crave occasionally I'm not pill seeking or dope sick. I know eventually I will need to come off subutex and I'm ok with that. My life no longer revolves around my next pill or whatever available if no pills. I hate that life.”

LoverOfLife May 5, 2016

“I had a $1,000 dollar a month heroin habit. 3 days into withdrawal I went to a Methadone clinic. Was on Methadone, 150 mg's for 6 months before I started a 5 month taper to jump to Subutex. While Methadone kept me clean, it really slowed me down, I just kept going up & up in mg's. The taper off Methadone was brutal. Was induced onto Sub last October. The first 3 weeks on 16 mg's of Subs I had a lot of speedy side FX, feeling really wired, insomnia, I was nervous it wouldn't go away bc I *hate* being anxious, feeling fast. Third week in the side FX just stopped. I could sleep, I was normal. I'm on 24 mg's Sub, I had a big H habit, I feel 100% normal. I do not crave junk. It saved my life. Been off H since Dec 2014. I love life! Miracle med!%u2661”

SubutexSAVEDmyLIFE September 27, 2014

“This medication is God send. I have been an opiate addict for over 10 years. I have tried Methadone, Suboxone, being totally sober (which caused me to go insane as well as suicidal). I truly have hope for my future now and after about 14 years of searching to just feel "normal" I finally do. Within two weeks of getting my dosage correct my parents and friends could see a MAJOR difference in me, my attitude towards life, my appearance, my motivation and overall happiness.”

GG · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 14, 2019

“I have been on subutex 8mg twice a day for 15 months. I was on heroin for almost 5 years. I tried numerous times to get clean because nothing work. The Dr. Tried me on suboxone (yuck). And a lot of other things. I was at rock bottom and my sister was already on subutex so she let me try it (I know, not supposed to take anyone's medicine) but I was at the end of my rope. But I am 100% thankful I did. It gave me my life back. I made an appointment right away because it was the only thing that help me and I didn't want to be using drugs anymore. Now I have energy. I am no longer depressed. I actually have a life that I love. I don't think about using and I take subutex as prescribed. I went from homeless gutter rat to having a full time job, a beautiful house and a vehicle. No matter what you read everyone has to decide for themselves if it works for you. Me personally I couldn't have gotten my life back without it.”

bcp666 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2012

“I absolutely love this medicine. It helped my back pain and increased my mood. I have been on the 2 mg for about 6 months and finally after breaking the last three in half for four days (1 mg) I have gone cold turkey. WOW first day is okay, second and third are the killers, no motivation, no sleep, however on the 4th day I was feeling better and saw my doctor on the 5th day. He was expecting me to beg for more, but I turned him down, I wanted off the ride for good. He was so proud which made me feel better. I am now back at work and it is HARD but I am making it. Really folks get the 2 mg and break them into half's, and then half those till you are out... Within 5 days you will be FINE.”

Stepaside11 March 17, 2014

“In 2010, what started as some needed relief for back pain, the FL Pill Mill took me for a ride which almost cost me my life. Being prescribed 120 30mg Oxy/month to 15 months later being at 240 30mg Oxy and 90 40mg Opana ER. The damage I caused my family in that brief period was substantial, but the damage I did to myself was enormous. One day, looking in the mirror, I was scared into reality. How had I gone from 276lbs to 204lbs in 9 months? At that precise moment, I called a Subutex Dr and 48hrs later, in withdrawals I started Subutex. What transpired over the next 9 months was nothing short of a rebirth. In Jan 2012, I took my last 0.75mg dose of Subutex and with it, I flushed 690mg of Oxy and 360mg of Opana, left over from the day I started Subutex!”

Kinsleyspop · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 16, 2017

“I got out of jail in January 2015 for a probation violation for a failed drug test. I had been addicted to pain pills since I was 14 years old, and here 20 years later I was still addicted to opiates. I had been to rehab, was on 120mg of methadone for 4 years and got arrested for selling my take homes. So I went to jail cold turkey and almost died in jail, it took me almost a month to get over my withdrawals. So when I got out of jail, my girlfriend was on suboxone, and told me how much better she felt, so I figured what the hell, I had tried everything else. So I went to the doctor 2 years ago this month, and was put on 8mg Subutex twice a day. I now live a normal, happy life! This is truly a miracle drug, and it saved my life!”

Anonymous April 12, 2008

“I started Subutex treatment 1 year ago, I could not have made it this far without the subutex and my therapist. The key to this medication being successful is being 100% ready to stop using and having a healthy support system (eg. family, friends) You yourself have to WANT to stop using. Trying to stop to make others happy doesn't work, trust me I tried a few times and failed miserably. I am continuing my subutex treatment for pain management due to a severe back injury and it works very well.”

Anonymous78183838 April 20, 2019

“I had been prescribed many prescriptions over my lifetime and never got addicted to any of them EXCEPT opiates. Doctors were giving me pain medicine for various things such as surgeries, prescribing me Percocet and hydrocodone. I got in a car accident and got put on a consistent amount of pain medicine every month and my tolerance shot through the roof within a very few short months. For 2 years I was on consistent every day hydrocodone treatment and my habit reached anywhere from 250mg hydrocodone to 400mg hydrocodone per day. I was scared to try subutex, not wanting to give up my addiction, and scared it would not work. The doc prescribed me 24mg a day and it is the best decision I’ve ever made. Absolutely no withdrawal. Absolutely zero bad side effects. Subutex is a miracle drug. If you’re reading this and you’re having trouble deciding on whether to get subutex ask your doctor to let you give it a try. It’s worth every penny. I have energy and everyday on it has been great!”

Dutchgirl69 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2013

“Prior to Subutex, I was taking Norco 80mg every 3 hours while awake. I eventually told my doc & he put me on Subutex 8mg 3 times a day. I had NO withdrawal symptoms when I switched. One day, done. I had been taking the Subutex for over a year with some annoying side effects.. sweating & restless sleeping. One day..on my own without my docs approval..I just stopped taking the Subutex & decided I was done..well a little over 24 hrs later I went through the roof! I realized this was a mistake. It was over the weekend so my husband ended up taking me to the emergency department to explain to the doctor. I then started A tapper schedule. All in all..it was really HARD to get off Subutex, the symptoms were horrible & lasted weeks.”

Kaylee74 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 18, 2014

“After 5 years on pain pills, 4 years injecting heroin, 2 years clean then a month long relapse, I went on the methadone clinic for 7 years. I never felt right, I'd feel dopesick by 10 pm (12 hours after 300 mg dose of methadone) I gained 100 pounds, had profuse sweating. The methadone clinic I went to wouldn't give me take homes due to my other scripts. So NO VACATION, standing in line at the clinic on Christmas morning. It sucked! So I was telling my Dr. Who just so happened to have a Subutex clinic. I went through the horrifying detox but am grateful I did. I feel free from the daily run to get dope or methadone. I have a monthly prescription and it feels like a life time ago that I went through all that. I have my life back.”

Archie 19 · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2013

“Day 5 off Subutex after a quick 2 week detox. Day 3 was the worst upset stomach, aching legs and the lack of sleep but that's about it, nothing to be scared about it's all cope able, hot baths and paracetamol. Just don't listen to the horror stories, if done correctly it's doable. Good luck.”

Cher · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2020

“I have been on Subutex for a couple of years after 25 years methadone maintenance. It was a godsend. I strongly recommend it for opiate addiction. It was also helping with severe pain due to severe osteoarthritis but not a lot. I stopped taking it at 0.4 mg two weeks ago and, apart from fatigue, am absolutely fine. It was my own idea to detox. Feeling mentally positive. Hope this helps.”

Comingbacktolife January 15, 2012

“I recently switched from Suboxone to Subutex, and I could not have been more grateful for my doctor allowing the change. I never felt "good" on Suboxone, I always had a headache, I was always sick to my stomach, and I felt I couldn't do anything until I took my dose. Now, with Subutex, I actually feel GOOD. I have energy, I have a desire to go out and live again, rather than just exist from dose to dose of that awful citrus taste. I also see myself not needing as large of an amount in order to keep me feeling alright. I am so thankful for Subutex. ”

itzaloc · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2015

“After 10 years of taking OXY-HYDROCODONE for pain for a condition that I still have and they still prescribe me this meds, but since I have been taking them for so long us the users taking them legally or not after a while our body gets immune to them that the dose that the doc says to take every 4-6 hrs it doesn't have the same effect anymore so what do we do we take more. So as the year was coming to an end I decided to start the new one opiate free so here I am I haven't taken any opiates this year and I feel good, different it's been so long that I forgot what a normal life feels like but to tell you the truth I feel awesome and it's all because I decided to take Subutex to end this once and for all and it's doing a good job...magic pill.”

markimarki · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2015

“I was addicted to Heroin for almost three years. I tried everything from Suboxone to methadone to tapering and even cold turkey but Subutex was the only thing that worked. Subutex has truly saved my life.”

JJ661 August 12, 2016

“4mg every day wipes away damn near all my withdrawal symptoms and allows me to be comfortable and live a much better life than I would without the subs. Great stuff. Recommend anyone that is stuck on opiates (heroin, oxy, shit even methadone) to give buprenorphine a chance.”

freshman_mike July 1, 2008

“I have had an on/off opiate addiction for 7 years. The only reason that I maintained the addiction was fear of withdrawl symptoms. I waited 12 hours after taking an opiate before taking the Subutex. The withdrawl symptoms on the Subutex were almost non-existent. I highly recommend this for anyone who is serious about quiting.”

Learn more about Opiate Dependence