User Reviews for Qvar RediHaler to treat Asthma, Maintenance (Page 3)

Qvar RediHaler has an average rating of 2.5 out of 10 from a total of 91 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance. 10% of those users who reviewed Qvar RediHaler reported a positive effect, while 77% reported a negative effect.

Qvar RediHaler Rating Summary

2.5/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Qvar RediHaler

Tinkerbell · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 4, 2018

“The new delivery system for Qvar is a disaster. I have coughed non stop and don’t have enough air to even cook dinner. I am allergic to albuterol so I have no rescue inhaler. This was one inhaler I did not have an allergic reaction to. I guess I will have to start trying a different medicine and will be sick with reactions until I find one that works. I have a few words for Teva, but they are not printable.”

Mads June 15, 2019

“I was on the old design of the Qvar inhaler and totally fine. I have had the same issue as many other people have commented- it randomly does not dispense medicine when used leading to uncontrolled asthma. I'm on my fourth redihaler and this one started malfunctioning at 83 doses left. The reason I noticed the first one was malfunctioning? My asthma became dangerously out of control and upon inspecting my inhaler after taking it I saw white mist slowly spew out AFTER I had already taken a puff.”

Sherry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2018

“I use Quvar for Allergies. The Qvar 80 worked great. The new Redihailer is awful. I do not feel like the powder is getting into my lungs. I am coughing a lot and am using more that I did on the old format. I pay out of pocket for this drug. I feel like I threw $200.00 in the trash. Why did they have to change it!!!!??????”

Rosebud · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2019

“I've used QVAR 80 for several years. It worked great. Since they switched over to the redihaler, it only works half the time. It seems to quit working before you're even halfway through your doses. Much preferred the older version. Will be checking with my doctor to see if there's an alternative drug.”

Mrs. Dee · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2019

“My first question is why was the old qvar container discontinued if something is not broke why would you try and fix it? IF a four-year-old was having a problem with container, the parent should have shared this information with the doctor, I am a adult patient and my experience with the new inhaler is awful, I have not been able to get any relief since you change the inhaler ( container) if you lose the patient that benefit from the old dispenser you would have lost money and also your customers. In order for me not to end up in the hospital I would like to receive the oldest container of qvar back at my Pharmacy ”

Paul NJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 25, 2019

“The redi-haler is awful. I coughed for 15 days trying to use the new design. It wasn't working. I had bought 3 units from my mail order and the other 2 don't work either. Teva replaced the 1st unit but I still need to call them back about units 2 & 3. I don't believe these units dispense any product. Two of them, however, spewed out product long after I took it out of my mouth. I need to speak to my doctor about another product.”

Shaker dad · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2018

“This should not be sold as a drug for young children and the previous model should not have been pulled from the market. My 6 year old is having trouble inhaling with enough force and holding breath to get the medicine. As the old form has been discontinued we got this redihaler on a Friday. Big mistake! It’s now Sunday night and we are up with coughing. Praying the rescue inhaler works before we have to go to the ER. The instructions for this are literally the opposite of a spacer. What research was done before making a new device for kids. Terrible decision. Unfortunately there is only on competitor and it costs more per dose. This is terrible! We are scared.”

Adam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2019

“As others report, my Qvar RediHaler 80mcg stopped functioning properly. I wasn't clear what was happening - my hearing isn't perfect - and my asthma became poorly controlled because the drug was not actually dispensing when I was using it. Today I switched to a new RediHaler and could immediately tell it was dispensing - and that the last one had been failing to dispense before. I kept the defective device for investigators (just in case a regulator decides to do their job) and reported to the FDA and my Attorney General's office, including my contact info. I hope others will consider doing the same.”

Lashru · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2019

“I've been on QVar 80 mcg for a long while - years - with no issues & good asthma control. Swapped to QVar Redihaler last month because the conventional propelled QVar was no longer available. Same dose, 80 mcg. Same general method of taking, fully exhaling beforehand, then inhaling deeply & holding breath - just no shaking of inhaler & no pushing down to actuate. Only now it seems to wear off much faster, so that I feel the need to take my next dose a couple of hours before it's due (I don't take it early, but I feel very wheezy). In the past, I sometimes forgot my second dose because I didn't feel like I needed it. My pulmonologist says there's been no adverse changes in my lung health to explain this. And the medication & dose haven't changed. So it makes no sense to me that I'd be fully controlled on one, poorly controlled on the other.”

Anonymous June 22, 2020

“Just started using this and only have used four days and it’s already stopped working. Very disappointed in this product and see that others are too. If anyone has a special trick to try to get it started again please share.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2021

“Accidentally got bottom of Redi-Inhaler wet. Sat on unseen water puddle by sink. Immediately removed from puddle but next morning usage, device did not dispense any medicine. So read here about peeling off stickers, twisting the plastic canister to expose the silver canister. Dried all parts and Inhaler now still works using just the bottom half of the plastic canister with the mouthpiece. Top half of the plastic canister makes the counter work so I am letting that dry for a day to see if replacing that will restart the counter. Bottom line, do not let plastic canister get wet. Also, I too liked Qvar better when it was not a Redi-Inhaler. Was just easier.”

ll4 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2018

“The old inhaler worked fine. This new redihaler malfunctions. I had used about 40 puffs before it started not coming out properly. I will call the manufacturer to try and get a replacement but I am surprised to see so many others have had similar problems. Do they not test these out before launching? The new design is annoyingly big too.”

JCin313 · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“Pharmacist explained this does not puff the drug out into your mouth. You must suck it out of the device. Being asthmatic sometimes that is not ideal as I don't have much suck, IDK who thought of such a design. So in order to get the correct dosage you kind of have to really exhale then fully inhale with your mouth closed on the device. Then after you have fully inhaled hold your breath in for a second or two. I am trying this inhaler for the first time after my pharmacist consult. wml”

BadQvar · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 14, 2018

“The new design for QVAR sucks! It's very difficult to use and it's hard to tell if it's working. The old push, release spray, and breath was much better. It's hard to tell if anything is getting into my lungs. Combine the fact that the RediHaler is a very poor design with the fact that the medication is very overpriced--I'll be looking for an alternative inhaler.”

Andrew · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

“Was using the old pump QVAR and it was working great. When it came time to renew my prescription I was surprized to find these new devices. They do not work to delivery the mediation. Went on ThingVerse and 3D Printed an Integrated inhaler and Aerochamber. Works great. Really sucks that Teva changed the format and is now ripping people off. The meds are the same but the new delivery device and even the canister have changed. so that you cannot use your old inhaler body. Very sad. You can find it here to print your own. Search on your computer: Inhalo - Asthma Inhaler + Space by by DannySanchez Regards, Andrew”

Monti · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

“I started using the new Qvar RediHaler inhaler in December, 2018, and had issues almost from the start. I’m happy to see that others have as well, because my pharmacy made me feel as if the fault was mine. I know the RediHaler is ineffective because I had an old inhaler that had 100 puffs left on it, so in March, after many calls to the company (and they did graciously replace the inhalers a couple of times at their expense, but to no avail) I finished out my old inhaler and I was fine during that time. Now that I’m back on the new inhaler, I’m wheezing again and I’m very unhappy. Anyone who suffers from asthma knows all too well how frightening it is to not get relief from a trusted medication. This once effective, expensive medication (I pay out of pocket) is no longer doing it’s job! Please find a way return to the original dispenser without compromising the quality of the medication.”

Sally · Taken for 10 years or more July 8, 2019

“I used Qvar since 2007. I considered it my miracle drug because it had my asthma under control. I almost never had to use my rescue inhaler. THEN the inhaler design was changed. I could not get the counter to go down; therefore, I didn’t know if I was getting any medicine. I tried 6 of the new inhalers. The counter did not go down for any of them. I talked to three pharmacists, and I demonstrated how I used it. All three said that I was using it properly. I also talked to the manufacture and they wouldn’t send me anymore since they had replaced the first three. I also talked to about 10 pharmacists on the phone. I also reported it to the FDA. They should not have taken the old design off the market until they were sure the new design worked.”

Bambi · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2018

“Was on pulmicort 180 for just over 16 years worked amazing then my insurance decided not to cover it anymore which they only covered half in first place. Then doctor put me on qvar 80 inhaler. A little issues at first, but got better and asthma was well maintained again. About 3 months ago they came out with qvar redihaler. HORRIBLE!! I have to take rescue inhailer with this 1-3 times a week. I used to only have to take 1-3 times a year with pulmicort. It doesn't even feel like I'm getting anything in lungs when taking. Would not recommend to anyone! Going back to doctor this month and begging them to contact insurance company and ask them to please start covering pulmicort for me for it is needed. Its $120 vs $60, but I'd rather breathe!!”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 3, 2018

“The changeover to the new dispenser - RediHaler - has been a disaster for me. About half way through the doses on my first one, it stopped dispensing the medication. I called the manufacturer who did replace it with a new one. It is very expensive for the new RediHaler so that was a relief. Now I am half way through the second one and it is not working again. It acts as if it is dispensing but I definitely don't feel anything going in my lungs. I tried to clean it with a rubbing alcohol tissue (like the manufacturer suggested) and it did not work. I know it is not working because I can feel the asthma in my lungs after being in control for over 6 years. It is very disheartening. Also, I have no health insurance until next month which makes it even more nerve racking. I called my doctor and he is prescribing me a different daily inhaler so I don't have to deal with this again.”

PoniesRFun · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2021

“I was starting to think it was all in my head untill I came across these reviews. The change to the RediHaler obviously was not an improvement but a change meant to stave off the ability for other companies to produce generic equivalents. A prime example of what is wrong with our pharmaceutical industries. My Peak Flow and FEV1 scores have been worsening and I've needed more albuterol since I received the RediHalers (switching back to QVAR after being on another controller med). I tried the hack of twisting off the upper part of the actuator and depressing manually but that didn't seem to work because of the inner sleeve. But when I put the canister in an albuterol actuator it works fine but I now have to keep track of puffs. Sent a letter to Teva QAS@tevapharm.com. To date there have been 985 adverse event reports submitted to the FDA by people like us and about the same kinds of problems.”

JUST ME · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2020

“I should have said I had 4 that stopped working. Not ran out. Put your Qvar inhaler in a zip lock and keep upright. I have been doing this now for 2 months and it has kept working. However you will have to suck it out just like a Ventolin or Albuterol inhaler. Hope this will help anyone having problems with the Qvar container.”

Wheezer · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2019

“I love the new Redihaler. I find it much better than trying to coordinate a squeeze and inhalation. I can feel the drug being pulled into my lungs and hope this type of inhaler will eventually replace the previous type of inhaler across all active ingredients for breathing disorders (not just Qvar). Realizing that many people prefer the older delivery mechanism, perhaps both can be offered as a patient's choice?”

JL · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2019

“Once I got down to about 25 doses left in the canister, the inhaler stopped working altogether. It's a good thing I was able to go to my pharmacy, return it, and get a new canister. What if I had been out of the country and needed my medication?”

SR · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2018

“I have used QVAR for at least 6 years. I dislike the redesign of the inhaler: the cap falls off and the inhaler does not distribute medicine well past 30-40 doses. I feel like I am wasting money and plan to ask my doctor for alternatives as this is really frustrating. The medicine itself, when I can inhale it, works great and is helping me manage my asthma.”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2018

“I have tried using the Redihaler 3 separate times. Each time, I get hoarse within 2 days! My mouth feels like it is full of cotton. I rinse well and even gargle with fresh water, but symptoms persist. QVAR 80 was terrific with a spacer. Now I will have to switch to Flovent which was never as effective as QVAR 80. TEVA, you made a big mistake ; your greed will cost you many customers. I suspect there may be a class action lawsuit in your future!!”