User Reviews for Adderall XR

Learn more about Adderall XR.

Adderall XR Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall XR to treat ADHD

"I take one a day. It helps me concentrate, and also helps me feel ambitious and less depressed. But when it wears off in the evening, I start feeling sad and easily agitated. I can take up to 2 a day, but I usually only take one, because I don't want it to cause any heart problems."

Pickle8696 March 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For symptoms of ADHD (impulsivity, inability to sit still/restlessness, and inability to focus on a task at hand), I give this medication a 10/10. That said, I have Tourette Syndrome, and would caution ANYONE with Tourette Syndrome to stay away from stimulant medications, because they seem to exacerbate existing tics quite aggressively (I have tried 10-40 mg methylphenidate [RITALIN] and 20mg ADDERALL XR). I gave it a 10 based on it's effectiveness for ADHD, but factoring in the aggravation this medicine causes to tics, I would give a 5/10. I have a "good" United Health Care plan, and they would ONLY cover the brand name; even with insurance, the co-pay for a 30-day supply was $35.00."

R.W. (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son is 13 years old and has have been on Adderall for about 6 years now and was recently switched from Adderall XR 15 mg to Adderall XR 20 mg. Today is his first on the 20 mg. So far he noticed a large difference in the effects. He said when he was on 15 mg XR for 2 years and he didn't even notice his attention span had dropped and his grades had also been, He said felt no effect whatsoever from 15 mg. The 20 mg has a noticably large increase in effectiveness . For the first time in months he feel back to normal and refreshed. He said never knew my body could grow a tolerance to a medication so quickly. I am curious if every dosage will get weak like the 15 mg. I don't want to keep elevating the strength for him as I'm worried it is bad for his health."

Elias O´Donnell (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Helped my life entirely. I'm a more productive and clinical learner now. Didn't realize how bad I wasn't able to stay focused until I took this and noticed the difference. Sleep and eat fine on it. After the first week that is. But the lack of appetite restlessness wasn't even that bad even then."

Billybandman December 28, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taking Generic Adderall 10 mg twice a day. I took it for a month and had a number of side effects that disappeared over time, except for 2 of them, increased excessive urination and stomach problems. So my doctor switched me to Adderall XR 20 mg. The side effects are pretty much gone so far, I have been getting sour stomach, but I started a pretty good probiotic - 9 strains 50 billion bacteria- and it's helped some. I've been on the xr for 3 days now. I can't say much for it being consistently effective though, it's also much more subtle as far as focus/concentration goes, and it seems to wear off much sooner than its supposed to, though it's hard to tell. I experience no crash at all. It's definitely much gentler than the IR version."

RjoyD (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Takes about an hour to two hours before affects take hold. Ability to focus and think clearly become apparent. Some shortness of breath here and there. I'm fit and active. Increased symptoms of PMS during cycle."

Tracu October 19, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in 3rd grade and went through just about every medication. I have anxiety and some medications really made it worse. Now 18 and in college and I've been on adderal 20mg extended release for 3 years and every once in a while I take a "tolerance break" taking a break from it really does help when you go back to us using it. Take it early in the day or else you will most likely be awake until late hours of the night"

Holla_back September 15, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first month I took this was perfect. Better focus, better moods, more productive and was able to process info better. Then I got my refill and things got bad. Those particular ones messed with my breathing, made my mind race, so focusing was even harder than before I ever took meds for focus, horrible anxiety and paranoia. I know these two prescriptions were technically supposed to be the same, but they certainly were not the same! This stuff felt like either completely different medicine or it was made from some dirty dirt cheap ingredients. They were both Actavis, but something just wasn't right with that refill. I didn't even go a full week taking those. I felt heartbroken because the first one worked so well."

KNW8787 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works great for my ADHD. It's the first drug I was prescribed for it and I think I'll be sticking with it. The only effects other than helping with focus that I've had so far are some extra energy and a little bit of a reduction in appetite. I'll have to switch to immediate release next month though, since the extended release pills are still a little bit expensive."

Xelleld (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've struggled with ADD my whole life. When I was a kid I was put on Ritalin for a few years and it was amazing at helping me concentrate. Before I hit middle school my pediatrician ripped me off of it saying I "grew out of it". I went on through life thinking it was just in my head. I'm now 32. I was always fog headed and trouble concentrating. I talked to my doctor and she said I'd have to see a psychiatrist to get on the medication. My boyfriend's Mom talked to her family doctor and she said she would help me. I met with her and was put on Adderall XR 20 mg in the AM and 5mg IR in the afternoon. It's simply amazing. I lost some weight and I can clearly focus. My boss has noticed a huge difference and I got a promotion at work!"

momx2x August 25, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was placed Adderall XR 20mg once a day. The first month was fantastic. I could think. I had bounds of physical energy. My mood was elevated. I had problems starting with the second month. The positive effects were no longer there and the negative ones were enhanced. I did some research and found out it was an issue with the brand. Not all generics are the same despite what everyone is told. I got Actavis brand. I found out that not only are generics allowed to differ in potency by 60-120% (40 less potent than some or 20% more potent than some) but Actavis was allowed to use its own proprietary formulation. If you are put on Adderall XR or IR be cautious about what generic you get. Some work way better than others."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 20mg Adderall XR daily for ADHD. I feel extremely productive, focused, and proactive while on it. My first day taking it, I usually am a normal eater, I could only eat a sandwich bag of pretzels before losing any appetite. That night, despite eating almost nothing, I biked 21 miles (my standard biking route), without stopping, in record time, without even feeling exhausted. Now, each day I take it, i feel very intelligent and concentrated, and come up with ideas easily, as well as feeling great all of the time. In my opinion, Adderall is the greatest thing to grace humankind, and I would suggest it to anybody who has difficulty focusing, especially if you are overweight. I lost 25 lbs in my first 3 months taking it, though."

3dprinterguy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before Adderall couldn't keep a job longer than a few months, I changed majors in college over 6 times, I couldn't finish anything in my life. Four years ago I went through a divorce and knew I was going to have to work full-time to support myself. I went to my doctor and told him everything, I was diagnosed with severe adult ADD and prescribed 20mg of Adderall xr once a day. Today, I am still at the same job, have been promoted, and in school to finish my master's degree. I can honestly say if it wasn't for Adderall I have no idea where I would be. I now take 20mg xr two times a day and have for the last three years it still works great. Lately my moods have been all over the place so seen a psychiatrist and am starting lexapro in addition"

erica2002 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Since starting Adderall XR about 6 months ago, I am more focused and headstrong than ever. I can actually DO the things I used to enjoy, such as birdwatching (which requires extreme focus) and practicing music (again, extreme focus). Once my attention locks in, I'm good to go; which is a first! Furthermore, it seems to help with my emotions; I feel more balanced and self confident on it, I don't feel like such a "headcase" and so emotionally fragile. Kind of sort of a miracle drug. Did it make me suddenly do things I have been putting off, such as cleaning and sorting out paperwork? No. But can I clean and do paperwork with more patience and ease? Yeah. The only side effects I experienced that were negative was extreme appetite suppressment"

PollyDarton (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from a fairly severe case of ADHD, and take 30 mg Adderall XR daily. Having been on this medication for quite a few years now and taking an almost 7 month break from Adderall, I've gained a better understanding of myself both on and off the drug. Adderall gives me a balance in every sense of the word. It helps me regulate my emotions, gives me the focus I lack, and allows me to feel whole inside. I also feel that it helps me with connecting to others. With impulsivity as a main symptom of my ADHD and one that gets me in a lot of trouble, Adderall helps me to be more mindful when I am communicating myself to the people that I care about. Aside from the mild appetite suppression, this drug really does wonders for people like me."

Courtpie447 March 3, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Many doctors seem to be convinced that if you have an AD disorder, you simply can't get high on stimulant medications. This is NOT the case at all. First off, stimulant medications in general work well... very very well. The first day I took adderall I was at school. About an hour after I took my dose of 20mgs I started to feel this awake, alert, energetic feeling inside. I liked, a lot. For the next 5 hours all of my boring subjects became very interesting and I became a very social person. After about a month, those effects started to go away. I went to the doc and asked for a dose increase. Without any hesitation, he DOUBLED my dose to 40mg. I quickly found my self abusing adderall. 1 year later and I'm now in rehab for drug abuse."

michael santos February 19, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have MDD, GAD, and ADHD. The worse trifecta in my opinion. The reason why is because when I start treating one disorder the others get worse. Well I had gotten my MDD and GAD in check and on to treat my ADHD so I was given a very low dose of Adderall XR (10mg). It was way too over stimulating for me. I had so much anxiety that I couldn't even focus which is what Adderall is supposed to help you do. So I switched over to 5mg Adderall XR and while my anxiety didn't shoot up like the last dosage it still was ineffective."

Wibblet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ughh I'm so depressed reading the positive reviews (I'm a bit envious I guess) but I take the adderal XR for ADHD and it would work for me for only an hour and that's it after that I would be a zombie. So tired, no motivation. Bed ridden to be honest. I'm devastated it works for so many people. I had such high hopes. Back to the scratch board again. I didn't want to believe it was the medicine because of all the positivity but it definitely is. Quite depressed."

Nicki9201987 January 7, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Overall- I'd say that Adderall XR is better than Adderall IR. Sometimes I feel faint on Adderall XR. I can't take it every day because I get too tired. I have weird side effects with medications. I usually get all of the side effects when I take medications. I also have depression too. Hopefully, Dexedrine will work."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Honestly taking adderall has help me very much. I no longer fight with others and I'm not overly sensitive anymore. Ever since I have been taking it my grades have gone up. Just a month I went from failing everything to passing all my classes. For me I don't have any negative side effects except one. When I drive alone at night sometimes I think I see something on my passenger floor move and it freaks me out immensely, but thats rare. Overall I my symptoms leave and go."

Nickname already in use October 27, 2015

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I remember when I was 8 and put on glasses for the first time and was astounded that I could see each individual leaf. But I was more astounded that I had been living for years without that essential clarity. The first week taking Adderall XR was like that. At once I had realized just how disabled I was-- but also how capable I could be. Five months ago, I was on the brink of losing my retail job due to numerous register mistakes. After taking Adderall my sales numbers are stellar, and I feel like I can go back to college again. Only negative is the weight loss-- but since I was overweight anyway that side effect is just fine by me. Insomnia is an issue, but not overly frequently. Taking it immediately in the AM solves it."

cantos (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2015

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's been a blessing since being on adderall XR. I can think better and focus so I can succeed at a lot of things. Everyone with ADD should be on it."

Nba3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take my 30 in the morning with a light breakfast n I'll be set for most of the day. It seems pretty Alright to me.!"

BigDDDP (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Adderall XR lasted no longer for me than Adderall IR. I was prescribed 30mg XR twice daily with its duration being four hours before it stopped working."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2015

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm an 18 year old girl and I have ADD along with Bipolar/Schizoaffective. Because I have psychotic symptoms, the highest dose of Adderall I can take is 30mg. My problem is, it doesn't keep me focused more then 3 hours or so because the dose is low and even though it's a low dose, I can't seem to eat at all. I've been struggling with my weight for a while due to hyperthyroidism. I'm 5'00 and 89-95 lbs. my goal weight is 100. I can't afford to lose more weight. The risks are outweighing the very minimal benefits."

ArdatLilith September 11, 2015