User Reviews for Adderall XR to treat ADHD

Adderall XR Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall XR

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

“I am a male in my thirties. Adderall is the third drug I tried to tread ADHD after doing trials on Vyvanse and Concerta. Vyvanse worked but did not last long enough and I had bad crashing (headache, exhaustion). Concerta did not work for me at all, made me lethargic and even more distracted. Adderall at 20mg a day gives me energy to focus on work and my kids. It lasts me until sometime in the evening. I have trouble sleeping some nights on it, other than that the side effects are negligible.”

Bo · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“Activist Dextramp-amphet ER (30 mg.) [ generic for Adderall ] is HORRIBLE. NOT effective. Causes nausea. HORRIBLE. I have taken this drug for over 3 years and I know what it is supposed to do.”

Theophilus · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2020

“Adderall is very useful but recently I was ignorant and thought it would be okay to take a little extra at night to help clean my house. I took a bigger extra dose then I should have and a few hours later I felt pretty awful. I am very productive and more positive on the right dose of this med, so I recommend trying it or Desoxyn, because it is said to have fewer side effects like anxiety and panic and irritability post dose. Like all meds, Adderall is a blessing when dosed right and a curse when dosed incorrectly. I noticed that I paced around a bit when on it but I didn’t feel that anxious. It isn’t fun and enjoyable to take a big dose, don’t do it. God made everything to be used in moderation and it is much better for the whole society when we obey the wise instructions of our doctors and leaders. Be careful, obey your doctor, and may God bless you all to succeed in your treatment plans and in your lives. Amen”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

“I was diagnosed with ADHD combined type and have tried Ritalin and Focalin. Both weren't that great for me so my doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Adderall XR. Adderall has made me have better multitasking skills and helped me pay attention. It hasn't really helped with being hyper or being impulsive and has given me bad twitching eyes. It also has made my sleep schedule weird so watch out for that.”

Jarbles · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2020

“Game changer. First DX by A pdoc: ADHD. What, no? Yes. I felt like I was only working with one puzzle piece and finding out about ADHD was like being given the other 999 pieces. At first Adderall IR didn’t seem to do much but I slowly realized it was like putting emotional and mental blinders on where I could see the rest of the world but mainly focus on the task at hand. Job saver for sure. Since I have a high tolerance to meds XR saved me from constantly trying to remember to take next dose when I started crashing. Tops.”

Aelena · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2019

“I was on 10MG XR for 3 months and it worked amazingly. This is a very good medication if you have trouble functioning like a normal person, although be prepared for really dark thoughts if you decide to stop taking it. Withdrawal from this drug is no joke, it can make you want to die...but if you keep taking it or taper off slowly you should be fine.”

Margie · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

“I will never give this to my child again!, I know all children are different but I'm sticking with Dyanavel XR. While he was on Adderall he was acting angry and violent, like he was on some kind of illegal drug, his facial expressions were intense, and he could not sit still, and was very emotional. so I have to give this a 1 star on my personal experience and my son's”

Retr · Taken for 10 years or more September 28, 2019

“Overall, 20 mg Adderall XR for ADHD helps me to focus. The problem with adderall is it makes me sweat something awful. Anyone else annoyed with sweating while taking adderall?”

Braden · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2019

“Well first off. Adderall is an Amphetamine which assist with the production of dopamine. Very close relation to meth. I am 21 years old and I started Adderall again. Previously I was on Adderall from age 8-13 and it worked great. Some say ADHD is not real and it just a symptom of bad health etc... I have been very very healthy and unhealthy which produced no changed in brain fog. Now that engineering is my main task in like I seem to have a hefty amount of brain fog. Adderall does in fact help with focus but the downside is the extreme crashes that happen when you stop taking it.”

Loulouland · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

“I'm 19. I've tryed a lot of ADHD medication (I'm from Canada so I have less option than the US). Concerta, Biphentin, Vyvanse. With all these medication I've experienced sides effects, or, in the case of Vyvanse, I was not focused enough. And now I'm on Adderall XR and I can tell you than is the best ADHD medication I've tried. I feel like I can multi-task like Vyvanse but more focus, and this focus make all the difference. I don't feel a lot of sides effects, and they are nothing if I compare with Concerta or Biphentin. and Adderall XR is one of the only ADHD medication with generic availability in Canada!”

Peace35 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2019

“Adderall X R 30mg in the morning along with 5mg of Adderall in the early afternoon seem to help my mood and condition dramatically. If you are ADHD I recommend talking with your psychiatrist.”

Anonymous June 7, 2019

“Went from 70mg Vyvanse to 25mg Adderall XR and I'll just say the Vyvanse was not effective for studying or focus, it made me confused, made me think too much and made me feel kind of bad. I switched to Adderall XR and I was immediately able to concentrate and focus, I was not confused anymore either. I am on 25mg now but I think 30mg may work just a little bit better, overall Adderall XR is the best thing I've ever taken for my ADHD! I also do not feel overstimulated or high from it which is a big plus because I'm a recovering opiate addict and I don't need something that is gonna make me feel like I need more.”

Liza · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 1, 2019

“Please do not take this medicine. It changes you into a different person. I was on this medicine for 7-10 years. I wish I was never put on it. At first it was working I got good grades, focusing. Then I was zombie-like and slowly I changed. This medicine is highly addictive and if you think it won’t happen to me or to my child. It will! I wish they would talk about Adderall addiction more. Doctors push this medicine because it’s so well known and it’s been around forever. Please do your research first before saying “yes” to this medicine.”

Shristi srivastava · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2019

“This gave me the worst experience..”

Vanillablue February 21, 2019

“I have ADD and chronic fatigue. I had issues with not being able to focus, total attention deficit, anxiety, zero motivation, sleeping all the time, forgetting to use planner, messy house, no organization. Imagine being stuck inside the deepest fog within yourself and not being able to see clearly. I hated the way I felt. Enter Adderall... started out on 10mg XR adjusted to 30mg XR. Side effects: mild headache at back of head, weight loss and thirst. Head ache went away, fog dissipated, as well as the fatigue, messy house, anxiety and attention disorder. I am able to focus, I tackle one thing at a time, I can prioritize, I can get up in the morning and not dread the day ahead of me. I smile a little more, laugh a little more, procrastinate less. I am able to give my children more of the attention they deserve. Adderall for me is not a cure all or a wonder drug but it held my hand and pulled me from the thickest cloud of fog when nothing else could and for that I am thankful.”

Lee · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2018

“I have both ADD and ADHD and also narcolepsy. This medicine does control moods and also helps with depression I have notice. I'm going to a psychiatrist for a further notice but I can say it helps me a lot but when the pill gets out of the system you feel some what down and frustrated. But once it kicks in you're on your feet not depressed and doing things around the house etc. But the down side is the foods you intake I feel like any vit c kills the drug. And it's bad that your body needs vit c like Apple's etc, but in the long run of 10/10 this is a great drug for people with ADHD and ADD also sleeping a lot.”

MissXo92 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 15, 2018

“25 year old female with ADHD and MDD and am currently taking 30mg of Adderall XR twice daily along with Celexa 20mg. My new psychiatrist switched me to XR after my GP had me on IR which caused raised BP and anxiety. Adderall XR has given me back control over my life. I am no longer struggling to complete tasks, have endless patience, have become more naturally social and less avoidant of people. I no longer get overwhelmed at the thought of having to do something. I am much less impulsive, especially financially, as I got into $17k of debt and am finally organizing my life to pay it off. The only negative is that it is addictive. Before adding Celexa, I had a difficult time weaning off and taking tolerance breaks. I would go through severe withdrawals and depression. Celexa has helped me lower my dose and allows me to take breaks without feeling like I am going to die. Overall a good medication when responsible monitored and taken. Really changed my life.”

knj April 12, 2018

“good for focusing on one task at a time”

Jakob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2018

“I am 18 years old and I'm here to share my experience, like many people say this medication works miracles at first, I was now doing everything ADHD/mild depression and social anxiety stopped me from doing. Once I progress towards the sixth month problems slowly started coming up and day by day you fall back into where you started, if you keep going you'll get even worse. The feelings of depression, anger, anxiety are almost unreal and it causes me to take the medication and do nothing but lay in bed instead of being energized, although it could be the 6 hours of sleep every night adding up. tips for beginners Take weekends; breaks off eat, drink, and sleep.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2018

“I've been taking Adderall XR 25mg with an optional 10mg of instant release in the evening for a little over a year now and it works almost as well as when I started. For me, it seems to last about 8 hours. Some of its benefits have lessened, but it really helps with reducing impulsivity and hyperactivity--I seem to have endless patience which is very helpful”

Alphaaa · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 11, 2018

“I was off and on addrall for a year. I had a psychotic episode a few times with this medication. I went back on it in October of 2017 and I was on 15mg. When I went on 15mg my anxiety was more severe than before, I was really depressed too and I sometimes lost feeling in my legs. I also lost feeling in my lips if i lick it a few times. I won’t recommend this medication if you have bad anxiety or depression because it can make it like x2.”

Mac kid408 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2018

“I’ve been taking Adderall XR 20mg for 2 months now. Works great to keep me focused on tasks for my job at Lucky’s and just random chores at home. Sometimes I feel an extra boost is needed in middle of day.”

Tracey Deneen Weaver · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2017

“Trying over IR”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2017

“Adderall XR 20mg, doesn't help me at all. I can't tell I took it. The manufacturer is Activas Pharm”

Yeahidk77 August 24, 2017

“Adderall XR does exactly what it's supposed to for me. I suffer from very little noticeable side effects. The most noticeable ones are insomnia when first taking this medication, lack of hunger in the beginning, and slight dry mouth. Overall the side effects are not bad at all. The only negative for me is it feels like the medications stop working after 6 hours for me.”