User Reviews for Norvasc to treat High Blood Pressure

Norvasc Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Norvasc

Stewtami · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“After 4 days pain in my legs was excruciating!! I stopped taking it and my blood pressure was fine with losing weight and exercise. This drug is a joke. Don't take it.”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

“Horrible med I started to have swollen tongue and lips and face. Also hands and feet were swollen. I stopped taking it and slept the night sitting up. I felt depressed and anxiety irritable no energy. I almost died on lisinopril having to rush to hospital with terrible swollen tongue even uvula. They gave me every shot they had which I thought I might die from. Adrenaline shot is the worst. After a few months on norvasc at night laying down each night it got harder to breathe especially through my nose. This is my second day off and I bought 4 natural remedies and I finally feel like myself. I had no desire to do anything. I think these medicines are like poison. I can’t take them and I won’t no matter what. I will do whatever I need to. I almost choked to death trying too swallow scrambled eggs. I am totally done with bp meds unless they are natural. My throat is still bothering me but getting better.”

Atlanta54 September 7, 2019

“I was taken off of Procardia XL and moved to Norvasc. After being on this drug for a few months I started going through some changes. My sex drive was declining rapidly, my blood pressure and weight were going up as was my anxiety level. I spoke to my physician about placing me back on the Procardia and he refused. With in two years my weight was up over 40lbs, my sex drive was that of an old man and I was 42. I left my fiancee out of pure loss of interest in women. My blood pressure was way up as was my anxiety level. I was now being treated for anxieties. I spent twenty years on that drug, I gained over 100 lbs and my blood pressure was high, I was treated with Testosterone replacement therapy, an out of pocket expense of over 600 a month. All in all that product ruined my life, and now I am back on Procardia, my pressure is down, my testosterone if still low, and I am struggling to lose weight.”

JGH17 August 7, 2019

“I have been on this medication since Jan 17 over the past 2 years for high blood pressure. My blood pressure was extremely high for years this was one of the first to bring it back to normal. HOWEVER I started developing SEVERAL different symptoms almost loosing myself from what I believe to be this medication. Constant leg cramps, heavy legs, migraines, elevated liver enzymes (fatty liver disease) and worst of all a dull isolated personality like I wasn’t myself anymore. I felt like I didn’t have any ambition or desire for anything. Not myself anymore. I kept telling my doctor something was wrong until I forgot to take my medicine my mind felt better but was beating out of my chest from not taking it I can hear and feel it pound so hard. THIS MEDICATION CAN RUIN SOMEONES LIFE. I am gonna try natural ways to lower my blood pressure or something else. If you are taking this and feel like you are not yourself anymore and can care less to do anything in life. Talk to your Doc”

psfrankj · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 25, 2019

“I've been on this med for more than ten years and find it quick acting and effective. All BP meds have side effects. I take nebivolol, norvasc and telmisartan, the latter two maximum dosage. I'm 78, male.”

ruinedmylife June 10, 2019

“Stay away from this horrible drug Norvasc!! I've been taking this garbage for 35 years and have had a multiple of effects from it not realizing this whole time it was this prescription causing it. I've seen so many doctors about my side effects. They all knew I was taking Norvasc, but not one ever mentioned that it could be a side effect of this drug. I've had peripheral neuropathy (feels like someone has poured hot lava down my thighs and is dripping to my feet). I've had tinnitus, itchy rashes breaking out on my body, headaches galore, and at 62 years old, I now have TMJ. Yes, I'm blaming my TMJ (temporomandibular joint dysfunction) on this drug. It has caused my leg muscles to tighten up and I imagine it's doing the same thing to my jaw. It did control my blood pressure well, but I'd rather not take any meds if this is how I have to live the rest of my life. I took myself off of 2 years ago, but could not get through the withdrawals. It caused my heart to feel like it was beating out of my chest and non stop migraines.”

Rosebud · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2019

“Gained 50 lbs over 2 years while on Norvasc. Then I stopped taking it and am going to increase lisinipril which I can take longterm and its cheaper. Norvasc is great at lowering BP though. Not recommended for long term.”

Lily · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2019

“I have taken amlodipine now for 9 months. I started off with a terrible rash. The medication lowered my blood pressure at 117/79 and sometimes even lower”

Fritz · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2019

“Run don't walk from this one! I was on it for 3 weeks. I had vertigo, muscle weakness, shakiness, unusual sweating, extreme flushing, one ear would turn purple, uncontrollable shaking at night, frequent urination, and extra eye floaters. Doctors and nurses couldn't figure out what was wrong until I looked it up and figured out I was having severe reactions to it! I feel better , but now I am left with a shower of floaters from the experience. Do your homework on any new meds!!!”

James · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

“Been on the medication for about a week now. Seems to work well. Always had a bit of vertigo so can't attest to the dizziness claims. Doesn't work as well as my previous Lopressor/Micardis regimen I was on but we'll see. The plan is to lower potassium levels due to the side effects of the other two in addition to the high blood pressure.”

Kay Cee · Taken for 10 years or more September 12, 2018

“I have been on Norvasc for over 17 years now. Before Norvasc my doctor tried me on other BP meds and it didn't keep my pressure down, But when my doctor put me on Norvasc 5mg. My pressure is always beautiful as long as I take my Norvasc. So I want to thank the company who made this pressure pill because it work wonders for me. 17 plus years on Norvasc and will not have it any other way. The number 10 is not high enough to rate this pill.”

Homegrownohio · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2018

“I have been off and on blood pressure meds for years now. My blood pressure is borderline high from anxiety 135:86 usually, but when I get real anxious it goes way up to about 150/110. I have tried lisinopril in the past with the best results. This time around my doctor tried me on norvasc 5mg. As soon as I started taking it my blood pressure went up, my feet and ankles swelled and I got headaches. I also had a bad panic attack and my blood pressure went sky high. It didn’t control it whatsoever. I haven’t taken it today or yesterday so I went to the grocery to take my bp to see what it was. My kids were fighting so I assumed it was going to be high and it was actually better than it’s been in a few weeks. Don’t recommend this medication. I also get migraines and this is supposed to prevent them as well and it made my head hurt.”

Handsome Howard January 31, 2018

“I'm 55 and 195 lbs. Was on 5mg Norvasc after repeated BP readings of 160+/80. Norvasc brought my BP down to 140/80 for the first 3 months. Then I started getting heart palpitations. I would also start feeling flushed & dizzy. It became progressively worse to the point I couldn't stand because of my dizziness. Heart palpitations occurred frequently. Doctor took blood, EKG and also did two stress tests. All were negative (BP went back up to 165/75 - on average). I stopped taking Norvasc after 6 months, Doctor put me on 10mg Lisinopril. As my diet improved over the past 6 months (I have always done cardio), I stopped any BP meds. It been 24 days and my BP (which I take several times a day) hovers between 120/75 to 141/82. I'm no longer dizzy or feel flush. Still get heart palpitations every few hours that hasn't fully been explained. Bottom line is (IMO), I can do without meds by having changed my diet (which was good to start with - Just needed to make some adjustments).”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2017

“My BP is still high. As the systolic # came down slightly, the diastolic # has gone up greatly. Will see doc in 2 weeks & ask about that.”

Rocky74 · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

“I took exactly one pill and woke up the next day with the worse headache : top of my head hurt, temples were squeezing, had pressure in my eyes, and couldn't tolerate sounds. How ironic that people take this to prevent migraines! I was done after 1 day. This came after 4 days on metoprolol (sp), which had left me exhausted and short of breath, so I wasn't exactly 100%. B.P. went up somewhat the day I was on this. Headache left as soon as I went off it. (Was put on valsartan right after, and had terrible back/spine pain from that.) I think I am done with meds. Maybe I'll do yoga.”

Bob S. May 28, 2017

“I'm 37 and didn't always have issues with BP. I have been Norvasv 2.5.mg for about a month. It has made me worse. I have been to the ER twice because I feel lightheadedness. I feel like I am going to faint. I do not understand. I never had any issues until I started taking this medication. Has anybody else gone through this? Both hospitals couldn't find anything.”

Dobes · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2017

“Dentist took my blood pressure at 218/105, a total shock to me since it has always been low except for white coat usually around 150/90. She sent me to the ER. EKG was normal, and I felt shaky but otherwise okay. 10 mg Norvasc was prescribed and within 2 days BP was down in the 130/70 range in the morning. 6 weeks later it is often 115-125/70 and is rarely above 135/75. I had a strongly pounding heartbeat for a few days the first week, which went away. I was also tired the first couple of days and my legs felt heavy on my daily 2-mile walk -- that also resolved by the second week. It's working for me though my goal is to lose enough weight and exercise enough to eventually get off it. I'm a 62-year old female.”

SharynLP · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2017

“49/F I went to the cardiologist 3/28 because, my heart was racing at like 90-110 on a daily basis. My BP when I got there was 218/106. Mixture of white coat syndrome and an IBS episode I was in the middle of, plus whatever else is the cause of my HBP. Dr said go to the ER! I declined. He did an EKG and all was fine. Dr prescribed 10mg of Norvasc and Coreq. I went home and took my bp it was 170/100. Took 5mg of Norvasc and 50mg Toprol I was already on. BP came down to about 140/95 in about 12 hours. Pain by my pancreas for 12 hours a few days into it. Feet and ankles swollen like balloons. 4/14 on 10mg my bp averages around 133/86, feet still swollen by night. Feeling A LOT better. Finally, something that works for me. No other side effects”

Nille · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 24, 2016

“The medicine works rapidly and the 5mg daily dosage is still effective for me after several years of treatment. There's only been a few occasions that I've experienced any side effects after the first few initial doses of medicine. The one I experienced most was sleepiness. Otherwise, I take one pill every evening at bedtime and I'm fine until the next dose.”

Anonymous Bob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2016

“Awful drug run !!!! Where do I begin? I was prescribed Amplodipine benzalate 10mg to either take a 10mg pill a day i could break in half Muscle weakness and muscle depletion its like acid that eats your muscles and makes the skin crawl literally ... You can feel the pulses pound in your ankles Fire in stomach then chills all over the body Labored breathing Wheezing coughing conjestion caused me to get bronchitis which Ive never had in my life ... Drowning feeling in chest and lungs Weakness tingling in head thougt I was having a stroke Tingling in toes and fingers extreme coldness ... Cramping anxiety fatigue makes you feel your in another world or are just there... Thought I was dying felt like organs were shutting down. Run folks”

Burky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 23, 2016

“This blood pressure med makes me feel spacey, like I'm not here! Makes my body weak where it feels like my own legs can't carry me!! I hate the way it makes me feel!!”

pleblanc · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2016

“I have been taking Norvasc for probably 30 years. The first 20, the drug worked to lower my blood pressure well. In the last ten years, I've been plagued with scorching legs. It has literally ruined my life. Doctors never even had a clue and I never thought it was Norvasc that was hurting me until I had trouble a week ago getting the prescription filled I was out of for 4 days. On the 4th day without taking it, my legs were feeling pretty good. I got my prescription refilled took the pill and the next day, I was back to debilitating pain. I haven't taken it since. I am now feeling pressure in my head as I've always been prone to migraine headaches. I never got one after I started taking Norvasc. I think I'll take the migraines.”

Lilgrama · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 23, 2016

“-Not a very good one. Complained to Drs . About dry mouth,diarrhea, and numbness in toes. Tingling at tip of fingers. They dismissed it as nothing. The numbness has progressed to my foot,legs,hands,arms. Have trouble walking without a cane because I loose my balance and have fallen many times.”

Tailwindfox · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2016

“After being hospitalized for very high BP that my other medications weren't able to control -- I was prescribed .5 of Norvasc. Within 3 hours, my BP was down to 70/ 52, and continued to drop to 68/ 42 with my pulse going as low as 40 bpm. I came very close to calling 911, but after a couple of hours of drinking water -- I was able to get the BP up to around 90/65. Obviously I will not take this medicine again -- and feel that the side effect for it wasn't given”

jotee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2016

“I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg, within six to seven hours I had ringing in my ears.My GP persuaded me to persevere, as it was thought the side effect would go away. It didn't ! I carried on with the dreadful medication for six weeks, and then ditched it ! Five weeks later I still have the tinnitus.! How can drug companies be allowed to ruin people's lives - admittedly, tinnitus was stated as one of the side effects, but I was given to believe the side affects would be temporary, not permanent, as seems to be the case ! I hate this medication ! If I am lucky enough to have the tinnitus disappear, I will repost later ! For the time being I would say ' BEWARE ' !”