User Reviews for Amlodipine/benazepril to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Lotrel, Amlobenz

Amlodipine/benazepril Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine/benazepril

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

“Was given this after amlodipine alone caused much edema. This was no better. Still had edema, chest pressure and the added delight of the “ace inhibitor cough”. Terrible drug. I’ve been off it a week and still coughing to the point of almost throwing up.”

shar · Taken for 10 years or more October 8, 2019

“Have taken this combo med amlodipine with benazepril for approximately 20 years with no issues, works great for BP. However now I have had a cough for quite awhile...dr switching meds.”

GypsyQueen July 23, 2019

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “I was on this medication for approximately two weeks the time given for the medication to effectively take it's full course. Well for the first week, it did it's job at lowering my BP however if there was a side effects I got it from it, then it would have been the moodiness, I was tired to the point of exhaustion, hungry all the time and that horrible dry cough was so bad I though I was going to cough a lung out, it sounded like I was a serious smoker. Exactly on the 14th day on taking it - July 3rd - my top lip began to swell, by the time I made it to the ER my top lip had swelled 5x it's natural size, Glad I got to the hospital before I went into Anaphylaxis Come to find out I am severely allergic to both Amlodipine and benazepril, Terrifying experience”

MOMO · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

“Works fine like it should but many side effects felt. Felt generally weak and lack of energy after about 6 hours of taking med. In an effort to stop this, I try eating more to see if I can gain some energy which consequently causes me to gain weight. Also, I get headaches with almost each dose.”

Nikki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2019

“I'm on the generic amlodipine with benazepril and I've had swelling in the face, neck, throat and hands. I need to know has anyone else had an experience with swelling after having a drink of any sort with alcohol? Every time I drink alcohol I have swelling really bad. I had to stop and think what was I taking. I then looked at the side effects to this medicine and it's giving me the same side effects that I have.”

CC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2019

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “WEIGHT GAIN...30 LBS in a couple of months along with being so lethargic I could not function. It has lowered my BP but with this weight gain and lack of energy, it is affecting everything in my life. I am on a strict diet and exercise and it is not moving.”

uncle barry · Taken for 10 years or more May 12, 2018

“Used Lotrel for 10 years. Lowered blood pressure from 160 to 125. No side effects. Just switched to the generic form.”

ILoveKonataIzumi · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 28, 2017

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “Lower blood pressure and improved cardiovascular health with no side effects at all.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2017

“Great med! Brought my pressure down from 155/92 to 125/81. After first dose. No side effects what so ever. Learning what feeling good and relaxed is again. Highly recommend.”

Peeoutchoass · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2017

“After taking amolodipine 10mg daily for 18 mos. my doctor and I decided to try to kick my bp down another notch. He prescribed benazepril 40 mg. Worst five days of my life; Literally. I couldn't eat. Felt awful. Didn't want to move, think, or be awake.”

Susiev.h. August 24, 2016

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “Tired/sexual dysfunction i.e. Very hard to achieve orgasm.”

blythe5050 May 14, 2016

“The first day the doctor gave me this medication benazepril , I was nodding all over the place and my kids thought I was on some kind of narcotics, I'm on day three , this time I broke the pill in half, I still feel dazed but not drunk like before ,,,and I'm still nodding out in the middle of things, I don't get it I'm going to have to speak with my doctor and ask him why I should have to take this medication and is there anything else I can take because I need to have my wits about me during the day.”

MTS · Taken for 10 years or more April 29, 2015

“58 y/o black female, not overweight 5'8 150 have used 5/10mg since first diagnosed around age 45. No issues, no weight gain I'd attribute to this. I did weigh about 140 when I started this. No headaches, joint pain etc. so has worked for me. BP often under 130/85. I sometimes wonder if I dont even need it anymore, but doctor doesn't want me to stop.”

ESCHUR August 15, 2014

“Been taking 5/40 for 3 yrs, with great results till the brand changed. My blood pressure has been dropping too much now, and I have been experiencing dizzy spells and light headedness.”

dgames July 7, 2014

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “I'm a 58 year old male having been on Lotrel 10-20mg for several years now. I have not had any side effects, with this medication and have seen it is controlling my high blood pressure.”

the other z September 22, 2013

“This medication was working great with an occasional headache then menopause started and my internal medicine doctors switched my blood pressure meds to clonidine and now I'm tired all the time, and have gained 30 pounds in two months. My memory is getting worse and I'm slightly depressed. I think I would rather deal with the hot flashes, occasional headache, along with swelling ankles and energy. I'm weaning myself of clonidine and going back to amlodipine besylate and hydrochlorothiazide today.”

Irenice March 31, 2013

“I have taken Lotrel for a few weeks... Endless palpitations, chest tightness, and anxiety. Will get off this medicine.”

1freddy · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2012

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “I have been on Lotrel for 3 weeks and I'm having several side effects. I'm very lethargic, no energy (no energy to exercise), I even fall asleep an hour after taking the medicine, depressed, my head tingles, my fasting glucose has risen at least 10 points and the worst is I have gained 15 pounds! I had lost 30lbs and maintained since August. It was difficult and the weight loss was slow. My eating hasn't increased. My husband agrees. Morbid obesity can raise your blood pressure. This medicine is pulling my blood pressure down but the side effects are essentially making things worse. This medication isn't a good fit for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 9, 2012

“I've been taking Amlodipine/benazepril for over six months and I experience knee pain, swelling of feet, and hands daily. Before this medicine I used to walk 4 miles per day, I can barely walk two miles due to the pain in my knees. Although it has reduced my blood pressure, I cannot handle the side effects.”

HFNorthC March 9, 2012

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “I tried several other medicines, but Lotrel seems to be very effective in lowering my blood pressure. I have a had no side effects. I am 49 years old and Africian American. On this medicine 10 months now.”

Anonymous December 2, 2011

“I have been on several medicines for high blood pressure including: amlodipine-benazapril 5/20, Coreg, lisinopril, clonidine hydrochlorothiazide and finally it was the combination of clonidine 0.2 twice a day with 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide once daily. My blood pressure was running 214/180- 191. Now its MUCH lower around 145/95 ish. Hope this helps. It took forever for them to find something that was effective for pain induced high blood pressure. Good Luck Folks.”

Anonymous September 8, 2011

“I tried four medicines before amlodipine/benazepril. I am 40 year old female. I run 20 miles a week and do yoga twice a week. I have not had any muscle or joint issues. I have had swollen and tender gums and a bad taste in my mouth that compels me to chew gum at all times (besides while I am sleeping or eating). It was the first medicine to bring down my blood pressure. So, I hope to stay on it and hope the side effects simmer down.”

Gmmk August 2, 2011

Lotrel (amlodipine / benazepril): “Developed severe nocturnal leg cramps. Occured nightly between 5am and 7am. After 3 months I discontinued and went back to Diltiazem. Cramps stopped next day.”

Anonymous March 27, 2011

“I have been taking 5/20MG generic made by Teva for several years without any problems. Last week I got a new refill and Medco changed the generic provided to Par and this version of the product does not seem to reduce my high blood pressure.”

Anonymous February 7, 2011

“Just started using this medicine 5/10 mg 3 days ago. Causes severe dizziness and coughing. Can't function well because of dizziness and feel very uncomfortable because of it. Coughing wakes both me and my husband up at night. ”