User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Depression

"Autumn depression"

Spiritta (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've started to take Xanax 3 months ago, 0.25 then 0.5mg a day. Experienced a rapid heartbeat at first, but chose to give it a chance anyway and after 2 weeks it was back to normal. Now I take Xanax 0.5 and Bupropion 300mg a day for my depression and anxiety. I can tell it really has changed my life so far, I can feel joy or calmness again (before I couldn't at all). I hope to get back to normal soon. Can't even describe how I'm glad I've started to take these medications. Although I know many people have severe side effects, the thing is - it's very individual, you have to try and find a medicine that works best for you. Many people take Prozac, but I almost died when took it - side effects were terrible, I even experienced hallucinations."

Anna3529 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started xanax 14 yrs ago after taking klonopin for years. My life changed for the better instantly. Before xanax I was trapped in my own mind constantly worrying instead of enjoying my family! It has now become a curse. For years been on 4 mg daily and I have severe panic attacks, depression, and insomnia. 50mg of trazodone for insomnia is not helping so I use my xanax to sleep, then I run out early leading to detox. I'm just going in circles! Discussed with my family about going to a detox center and starting over with other meds."

Luvdae (taken for 10 years or more) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"From 2002-2017 I have been on many different types of medications klonopin, Valium and xanax, not to mention all the psych drugs none that helped until my Dr. realized I had social anxiety and paralyzing panic attacks. By far the the best for not only my depression but my anxiety as well was xanax 2mg. I had to take at least the full bar to ease my anxiety however not only did it help with my fears and anxiety but it helped with my depression which stemmed from my constant panic attacks. It is easily abused however when it's needed it's a savior and can help me get what I need to accomplish done as a mother a wife and a personal trainer/ lifeguard and graduate of Homeland Security and Emergency management which without xanax I wouldn't have"

Bently Rose February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 19 years old, turning 20 next month, and i have panic disorder for a long time. Im gay and my life was not easy at all, my dad doesnt support me and then i got also depression. I take this medication for about 2 years now and i can tell you: it works so good and it saved my life. I was afraid of going out in public, working, etc. My life was terrible with all my anxiety attacks and that was destroying my life. If you feel the same, talk to your doc and ask for xanax, but DO NOT TAKE without prescription. IT IS a drug and you must control it!!!!"

tylerhanderson November 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I know what it's like to lose 30 pounds in one month from depression. No appetite, can't walk without getting tired, laying in bed all day crying & nightmares night after night. It's so annoying when psychs' won't prescribe this because of fear of addiction. Well guess what? If I hadn't have found xanax, I would have committed suicide a long time ago. You can take this medicine long term if you have severe depression and are responsible."

Severely Depressed Xo (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had always heard the negative jargon of Xanax, and was afraid to take it because I was afraid I would be addicted and unable to control it. Eventually things were to tough and I was in one of the darkest points of my life. So I broke down and talk with my doctor about giving it a try. It totally changed my life. It helped me to focus more at work. It helped manage my anxiety so my mind could rest and I could sleep. I could see how this medication could be misused it's important to take as prescribed."

RexuallElam (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescibed Xanax and it works well for things like panic attacks. I do not like that it makes me loopy by taking my prescibed mg, and if I cut it in half I feel that it doesn't work at all. Xanax works very well for short term anxiety and if highly addictive so it is best to take it when you absolutely NEED it. A Prn that is supposed to work like Xanax but isn't addictive starts with a V so ask your doctor about that. :)"

Kelsey916 August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"im 17, i love xanax.. but i know its bad for me. i stopped taking it for a while, but now i want to buy 4 and take them slowly. i used to be bad on the, i would take about 8-10 bars. idk how much mg that is, im prtty sure it was like 1mg or 2 mg each. i loved the feeling, and i want that feeling. but i know it would make me forget things, really bad, i wouldnt remember anything that happened that day, i would black out, getting myself into trouble. fighting, stealing, like i was invinsible.. i miss the drug. i took them illegally. but i just loved being barred out.. but i cant do it, its best for me to stay away because i was extremely addictedd..."

nonibug June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 2mg it makes me calm but also depressed and sad with no energy. Mary"

maryq794 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helps but I have to take it every 4 hours only .125mg to see any effect"

Fif May 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from social anxiety rarely leave the house. The anxiety leaves me isolated which cause extreme depression. With xanax 1mg to 2mg takes all anxiety away and calms my depression 10 out of 10. Taking xanax for over 20 years now."

Hewy (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I could rate Xanax higher I would, this is without a doubt the most effective medication I've ever taken for anxiety, and fast acting. I've always dealt with the public speaking anxiety since high school. I'm 29, healthy and active and have never been depressed so that's why I've been reluctant about SSRI's. My GP prescribed Celxa, went up to 20mg and it was a nightmare, had panic attacks and very vivid intrusive thoughts. My GP switched to lexapro @10mg and I still get panic attacks. If I get a panic attack I take a .50mg of Xanax and it takes like 15 min to kick in and I feel great - I hate SSRI's and wish Xanax was a daily med."

Bushygoodness March 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I agree with everything that has already been said here. I am just so incredibly grateful that I was able to build a trusting relationship with my doctor so that HE feels comfortable prescribing it. Xanax really is the only thing that helps me untangle myself when the anxiety takes over. What I love the most is that I can count on it to do the job and not leave me feeling strange later. It just smooths out the wrinkles and kinks that I get into every so often. Just knowing that I have it in my cabinet to lean on is in itself a big help for me - my secret tool. Yes, it's a shame something so helpful to us is abused, but that is with everything in life. Be happy we aren't Guinea pigs anymore with the crappy meds :-)"

Gr8smile March 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor threw every anti depressant medication my way they ALL made my depression worse to the point I had suicidal thoughts and tendencies. My mother had it with the Drs changing my dose and meds so finally she gave me some of her own prescribed xanax. She gave me a .25 when I had my bad day about 7 days out of the month now as needed. I also have nervous habits, anxiety. When she started giving me the xanax I was 17. Before I would cry hysterically for hours on end. As soon as I tried xanax it all went away. No more mood swings my depression went way down only having a few issues a month when I was untreated. I am now 28 and I use it maybe 4-6 times a year and I use oils the others. I highly recommend not using it continuously."

gethelptoday January 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My wife uses Xanax. She is bipolar II. She has a lot of depression and anxiety but not much hypomania. She takes two 1mg when she is having a really bad day which is about every other day. It knock her out for about four hours. Often times she will wake up and then about 4 hours later, she needs to take another Xanex. It helps in emergencies but does nothing for the underlying cause of her severe depression and anxiety. I'm glad it's there for emergencies though. I wish it did something to decrease the frequency of emergencies."

Swpo January 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Began taking xanax during a time when my one and only child left home for college and I lost my job a month later. It allowed me to cope and move forward. The most I ever took was 1 mg per day, but I now take .25 when I have periodic depression and anxiety. I sometimes go 6 weeks without taking one. The best way to describe it is like rebooting your mind. Life saver for me."

DEW3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on and off Xanax for 22 years. It's the only drug that makes me feel normal after a lifetime of anxiety and depression. It's awful that people use it recreationally and that's made it difficult to get a prescription for it because of others abuse of it. It makes me feel normal. So obviously I need it. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug. It helps me not want to freak out and shake due to anxiety. If you really need to be on it, it's amazing."

It's worked for me September 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax 1mg t.i.d. has helped me plenty with my depression and panic disorder that said I find it as the best benzodiazepine for my condition !"

john bear (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My first experience was when I quick smoking. 7 months after I had stopped I developed severe anxiety and panic attacks. It took 3 months to figure out what was going on. The neurosurgeon prescribed it to me and told me to take it immediately and call back in 30 minutes. O M G!!! What a miracle that was. I took it for 2 months, switch to Zoloft, then back to the Cigs. Thank God for E-Cigs. Now several years later. Tinnitus hit me. Mine is very weird as it comes and goes in cycles. After seeing every doctor known to man, my ENT finally had me try Xanax so I could sleep at night. OMG...what a difference. I take .5mg at bedtime every-night. I sleep find. Feel great. And generally in a good mood."

Happy In Duluth Ga July 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you cut back on the dosage you risk the chance of having seizures, even taking as prescribed over a long period of time because of the tolerance buildup. I have been in re-hab 4 times trying to get off of xanax. They give you valium, librium or ativan so you don’t have a seizure and then lower that dosage over 7-15 days and release you. But 3-7 days later your symptoms are going to be so bad it will drive you back to xanax which now you will probably have to buy on the street because they’re widely available unlike valium."

Wilberforce-xyzzzzzz (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax has helped me so much for my depression and panic attacks. Even has helped a lot with my obsessive compulsive disorder. I don't have nearly as many compulsions since I've started taking it."

chris3545 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have dealt with depression, anxiety, social phobia or social anxiety which ever label they want to use for it these days. I have dealt with these issues pretty much since kindergarten. Well mainly the extreme social phobia/anxiety at that time which they used to just call "shy". When I was 18 and was seeing a psychologist he diagnosed me as having agoraphobia, I'm guessing because they really didn't have the term "social phobia/anxiety" at that time. I finally started taking Paxil and it worked good for 10 yrs then I maxed out on dosage and it stopped working. Tried all the other SSRI's/SSNRI's. Effexor XR worked best but didn't help anxiety/or social phobia issues. Got on Klonopin, then Xanax eventually. Benzodiazepines are life savers for socialphobia."

cucupuffs (taken for 10 years or more) January 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from generalized anxiety for 25 years. At one point I could barely leave my house. Afraid to drive on bridges, tunnels, fly... I even had anxiety about taking taking anxiety medication. Xanax was a game changer for me! I rarely take it, but I've Taken trips I never thought I would be able to take. Get this, I was even able to skydive! Not bad for an agoraphobic. It builds confidence. Just having it in my pocket really helps. I had to take a .5 mg dose tonight because I've been in panic mode for five days and I finally needed to reset my mental state. I think David Burn's "feeling good handbook," is an awesome tool too. I'm rambling because after 5 days of super anxiety, I finally took a .5 and now I feel great."

Big Eagle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the best medicine out there. It makes me a better person. I love it. I have anxiety and depression and this is the only thing that makes me tolerable to be around. Levels me out and makes me happy."

amv518 November 20, 2014