User Reviews for Xanax to treat Depression

Xanax Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Xanax

Charo · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 12, 2020

“I’m sorry my Dr ever put me on Xanax. It’s a EVIL drug . If your dr puts you on it more than a few weeks your will have a Xanax addiction . It’s not safe . Read up on Xanax. This will be my third relapse it’s not in your mind I almost died twice trying to get off of Xanax my heart stopped 6 times and 5 seizures . Other Benzos are safer . The Drs are at fault not the company Pfizer has a warning no more than two weeks on Xanax.”

lilXanax · Taken for 10 years or more November 12, 2019

“I started taking Xanax to cure my depression, but all it's done is make it worse. I've been taking 5mg a day for the past 12 years and I can't stop. someone please help. I have a problem.”

james · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2019

“the only real issue I have with this med is the feeling of having something to always be depending on and never really feeling in control.”

Rebel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2019

“Amazing drug. People say it’s bad but they lie about it all the time in the news Bottom line for me it’s a safe drug. But like all things even video games it can be addictive. Just use it responsibly. In other words don't take too regularly.”

Gr · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2019

“For anxiety I give it 10, but for depression 1. It is very good medicine for GAD..but after a couple of months you get addicted. If you stop insomnia is terrible and brain doesn't function at all..so be aware of that.”

MicroMacroUniverse · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 11, 2018

“It surely works for anxiety. Being said that, stay away from this drug if you can. In the time you build a tolerance, and doses required are much much higher as time passes. Withdrawal is TERRIBLE, I would give a 0/10 but I give 4 because at least it works for anxiety. You can suffer severe loss of memory and generally my brain can't work properly after too many years under it's effect, it has ruined my clear thinking. My liver values goes off chart when I use too much, and has became the norm now after few years of use. Go for other medication that doesn't give you that severe addiction. Hope it helps. Sorry for bad english. I'm now under Testosterone treatment and after few months I can see my symptoms gets better without the brain fog xanax can give.”

Lakotka · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2018

“I was initially diagnosed with severe depression. It was the drug of first choice to treat my extreme shyness. While on it I had troubles breathing. I was so dizzy and confused that at times I didn't even know where I was. I couldn't do anything. All I did was sleep. I was supposed to take it 3x a day but stopped before completing the treatment. Wouldn't recommend the experience to anyone. I honestly can't tell why some people take it for kicks or how they end up being addicted to it.”

Spiritta · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 13, 2017

“Autumn depression”

Anna3529 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2017

“I've started to take Xanax 3 months ago, 0.25 then 0.5mg a day. Experienced a rapid heartbeat at first, but chose to give it a chance anyway and after 2 weeks it was back to normal. Now I take Xanax 0.5 and Bupropion 300mg a day for my depression and anxiety. I can tell it really has changed my life so far, I can feel joy or calmness again (before I couldn't at all). I hope to get back to normal soon. Can't even describe how I'm glad I've started to take these medications. Although I know many people have severe side effects, the thing is - it's very individual, you have to try and find a medicine that works best for you. Many people take Prozac, but I almost died when took it - side effects were terrible, I even experienced hallucinations.”

Luvdae · Taken for 10 years or more May 11, 2017

“I started xanax 14 yrs ago after taking klonopin for years. My life changed for the better instantly. Before xanax I was trapped in my own mind constantly worrying instead of enjoying my family! It has now become a curse. For years been on 4 mg daily and I have severe panic attacks, depression, and insomnia. 50mg of trazodone for insomnia is not helping so I use my xanax to sleep, then I run out early leading to detox. I'm just going in circles! Discussed with my family about going to a detox center and starting over with other meds.”

Bently Rose February 19, 2017

“From 2002-2017 I have been on many different types of medications klonopin, Valium and xanax, not to mention all the psych drugs none that helped until my Dr. realized I had social anxiety and paralyzing panic attacks. By far the the best for not only my depression but my anxiety as well was xanax 2mg. I had to take at least the full bar to ease my anxiety however not only did it help with my fears and anxiety but it helped with my depression which stemmed from my constant panic attacks. It is easily abused however when it's needed it's a savior and can help me get what I need to accomplish done as a mother a wife and a personal trainer/ lifeguard and graduate of Homeland Security and Emergency management which without xanax I wouldn't have”

tylerhanderson November 14, 2016

“I am 19 years old, turning 20 next month, and i have panic disorder for a long time. Im gay and my life was not easy at all, my dad doesnt support me and then i got also depression. I take this medication for about 2 years now and i can tell you: it works so good and it saved my life. I was afraid of going out in public, working, etc. My life was terrible with all my anxiety attacks and that was destroying my life. If you feel the same, talk to your doc and ask for xanax, but DO NOT TAKE without prescription. IT IS a drug and you must control it!!!!”

Severely Depressed Xo · Taken for 10 years or more October 11, 2016

“I know what it's like to lose 30 pounds in one month from depression. No appetite, can't walk without getting tired, laying in bed all day crying & nightmares night after night. It's so annoying when psychs' won't prescribe this because of fear of addiction. Well guess what? If I hadn't have found xanax, I would have committed suicide a long time ago. You can take this medicine long term if you have severe depression and are responsible.”

RexuallElam · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2016

“I had always heard the negative jargon of Xanax, and was afraid to take it because I was afraid I would be addicted and unable to control it. Eventually things were to tough and I was in one of the darkest points of my life. So I broke down and talk with my doctor about giving it a try. It totally changed my life. It helped me to focus more at work. It helped manage my anxiety so my mind could rest and I could sleep. I could see how this medication could be misused it's important to take as prescribed.”

Kelsey916 August 16, 2016

“I was prescibed Xanax and it works well for things like panic attacks. I do not like that it makes me loopy by taking my prescibed mg, and if I cut it in half I feel that it doesn't work at all. Xanax works very well for short term anxiety and if highly addictive so it is best to take it when you absolutely NEED it. A Prn that is supposed to work like Xanax but isn't addictive starts with a V so ask your doctor about that. :)”

nonibug June 21, 2016

“im 17, i love xanax.. but i know its bad for me. i stopped taking it for a while, but now i want to buy 4 and take them slowly. i used to be bad on the, i would take about 8-10 bars. idk how much mg that is, im prtty sure it was like 1mg or 2 mg each. i loved the feeling, and i want that feeling. but i know it would make me forget things, really bad, i wouldnt remember anything that happened that day, i would black out, getting myself into trouble. fighting, stealing, like i was invinsible.. i miss the drug. i took them illegally. but i just loved being barred out.. but i cant do it, its best for me to stay away because i was extremely addictedd...”

maryq794 · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2016

“I take 2mg it makes me calm but also depressed and sad with no energy. Mary”

Fif May 15, 2016

“Helps but I have to take it every 4 hours only .125mg to see any effect”

Hewy · Taken for 10 years or more May 9, 2016

“I suffer from social anxiety rarely leave the house. The anxiety leaves me isolated which cause extreme depression. With xanax 1mg to 2mg takes all anxiety away and calms my depression 10 out of 10. Taking xanax for over 20 years now.”

Bushygoodness March 15, 2016

“If I could rate Xanax higher I would, this is without a doubt the most effective medication I've ever taken for anxiety, and fast acting. I've always dealt with the public speaking anxiety since high school. I'm 29, healthy and active and have never been depressed so that's why I've been reluctant about SSRI's. My GP prescribed Celxa, went up to 20mg and it was a nightmare, had panic attacks and very vivid intrusive thoughts. My GP switched to lexapro @10mg and I still get panic attacks. If I get a panic attack I take a .50mg of Xanax and it takes like 15 min to kick in and I feel great - I hate SSRI's and wish Xanax was a daily med.”

Gr8smile March 10, 2016

“I agree with everything that has already been said here. I am just so incredibly grateful that I was able to build a trusting relationship with my doctor so that HE feels comfortable prescribing it. Xanax really is the only thing that helps me untangle myself when the anxiety takes over. What I love the most is that I can count on it to do the job and not leave me feeling strange later. It just smooths out the wrinkles and kinks that I get into every so often. Just knowing that I have it in my cabinet to lean on is in itself a big help for me - my secret tool. Yes, it's a shame something so helpful to us is abused, but that is with everything in life. Be happy we aren't Guinea pigs anymore with the crappy meds :-)”

gethelptoday January 11, 2016

“My doctor threw every anti depressant medication my way they ALL made my depression worse to the point I had suicidal thoughts and tendencies. My mother had it with the Drs changing my dose and meds so finally she gave me some of her own prescribed xanax. She gave me a .25 when I had my bad day about 7 days out of the month now as needed. I also have nervous habits, anxiety. When she started giving me the xanax I was 17. Before I would cry hysterically for hours on end. As soon as I tried xanax it all went away. No more mood swings my depression went way down only having a few issues a month when I was untreated. I am now 28 and I use it maybe 4-6 times a year and I use oils the others. I highly recommend not using it continuously.”

Swpo January 1, 2016

“My wife uses Xanax. She is bipolar II. She has a lot of depression and anxiety but not much hypomania. She takes two 1mg when she is having a really bad day which is about every other day. It knock her out for about four hours. Often times she will wake up and then about 4 hours later, she needs to take another Xanex. It helps in emergencies but does nothing for the underlying cause of her severe depression and anxiety. I'm glad it's there for emergencies though. I wish it did something to decrease the frequency of emergencies.”

DEW3 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2015

“Began taking xanax during a time when my one and only child left home for college and I lost my job a month later. It allowed me to cope and move forward. The most I ever took was 1 mg per day, but I now take .25 when I have periodic depression and anxiety. I sometimes go 6 weeks without taking one. The best way to describe it is like rebooting your mind. Life saver for me.”

It's worked for me September 10, 2015

“I've been on and off Xanax for 22 years. It's the only drug that makes me feel normal after a lifetime of anxiety and depression. It's awful that people use it recreationally and that's made it difficult to get a prescription for it because of others abuse of it. It makes me feel normal. So obviously I need it. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug. It helps me not want to freak out and shake due to anxiety. If you really need to be on it, it's amazing.”