User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"Xanax is like putting a band-aid over a wound that needs stitches. This med helped take the edge off my anxiety and am thankful for it. It will NOT treat GAD properly because you'll be dependent with too many doses, but is a godsend for panic disorders. I still struggle with anxiety (anger, headaches, worrying, crazy thoughts). It helped me be able to sleep, socialize, not have panic attacks at work, great sex drive and I feel calm. I was prescribed 0.5mg twice a day, usually took less otherwise I'd be sleeping all day, only could go about a day without it then I need it again for anxiety. The biggest downside is that it makes me REALLY tired, lazy, poor memory sometimes. When mixed with alcohol I get very angry. Will be looking into SSRIs."

Concavealexx (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax is a medication that must be taken seriously and with precaution. This is not a game. Taking it when you don't need to will only create addiction and the withdrawal is worse than living with the actual anxiety. Please don't take this med unless you suffer from anxiety and you are having a panic attack. It works well in these situations but my advice is to stay away from it and only take it in an emergency. I prefer lorazepam. When you take lorazepam the withdrawal symptoms are more tolerable than xanax. Xanax is awesome but it can become Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. You can die from this or get a DUI if you are caught in a driving accident. This is serious."

roxithefox (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this after trying several other meds. My doctor gave me 2 mg bars. The yellow ones (generic) aren't bad and the white one isn't either, but them green ones will wipe you out. They are at least 40% stronger despite being the same strength. The use to be very expensive, but are only $5.56 for a 60 pill supply with my insurance ( which is bootleg Obama care)."

Powerful AF (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The most efficacious and useful anxiolytic I have ever had. Fast acting and requiring three times a day (chronic) administration, but also, along with the recommended 4mg lorazepam IV when actually suffering an attack and a doc is present, by a long way the best acute remedy for anxiety and panic attack."

zaborav (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Xanax 0.25 for less than four years to control anxiety mainly before sleep. It works really well until it does exactly opposite for its purpose, causing more anxiety and distress. I have been taking Xanax randomly only to relax me before sleep, say 3 times a month, 10 times a month and most of the time half of the 0.25. I noticed that overtime especially in the months I took it more often, the anxiety, the fast heart beats and confusion and strange muscle weakness were getting beyond tolerable. In few words, I would tell anyone there that NO ONE should even begin taking this very addictive Xanax. Better suffer through your difficulties than using Xanax to ease your anxiety and panic. The drug will take you to abyss."

milaseasky (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anything that can get me back on track while I deal with my very occasional anxiety issues. Xanax helped me out a lot 4.5 years ago and I am in need of it again."

Anonymous1974 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was extremely against Xanax because of knowing people who abused it, and being someone who will try homeopathic cures before using prescriptions. That said, it really helps me. I have anxiety I would describe as anywhere from mild- severe depending on the day, and week. But sometimes I get in these intensely anxious thought patterns, where I cannot let go, its terrible.Taking medication during these periods is a god-send. It allows me to return back to my normal non-anxious self. I rarely have noticed sleepiness as an effect of the medication- only when I was already sleepy before taking it. If you don't abuse your dose, it shouldn't cause you to feel out of it or have memory loss, if you truly suffer from anxiety. That's my experience"

hulahoopinghannah June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 21 years old and this medication gave me my life back. I have social anxiety, hypochondria, and occasional panic attacks. I'd immediately become stiff and uptight at all social events as well as at school. It got so bad that it affected my grades. After I take a Xanax, the anxiety simply vanishes and it's replenished with relaxation, tranquility, and stability. All the scary, racing thoughts stop and I begin to think more logically and calmly. I take 0.5 mg five times a day as needed. Xanax is also wonderful for muscle spasms."

Johnathan R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Any drug can get a bad wrap because of some people abusing it. A lot of doctors don't even like prescribing Xanax because they don't want their patients getting "hooked". For me, I suffer from occasional anxiety attacks, and my prescription is "as needed". Anxiety attacks can be VERY scary. There were a few times I literally thought I was gonna die, it was that bad. I even went to the ER once because I believed I was having a heart attack. They are different for different people. I use to smoke and drink a lot of coffee, so I think that's what screwed up my body chemistry. I don't drink caffeine or smoke anymore. All I know is that now that I have my Alprazolam (Xanax) in my pocket, I'm not as scared to go places. I can live my life again."

Gavnzdad May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is great for anxiety and panic attacks when used correctly. Make sure you don't abuse it or mix with any downers. It says it's used for short treatment but it can (if monitor correctly) be used for long term if your doctor, physician or psychiatrist thinks it right for you. I'm very thankful for this medication for it has work wonderfully on reducing anxiety and takes away my panic attacks. (This is my opinion)"

Hi12345678910 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been through many many years of anxiety. Couldn't drive a car, couldn't sit through a church service, torment. This drug helps me focus and function. People abuse it but it's a Godsend for people with real issues. Not everyone is a drug addict that needs xanax. I am 50 and a female and my life's been limited since a trauma at childhood. I have post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety to severe limits."

someday692 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helps wth anxiety but makes me very sleepy, really can't take it if have a lot of work to do. I only take half a dose ."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax has saved my life. I have GAD, panic disorder, OCD, PTSD and major depressive disorder. This medication has made life worth living for me. I have been in therapy with a therapist, life coach and psychiatrist for 3-4 years now. I can tell you if the drug makes you drowsy or hungover, it's not for you. Also, the therapeutic dosage should not exceed 3 mg per day, ideally around 1 mg per day. As long as you stay in therapy and see your psychiatrist regularly you will not become "addicted" or whatever else people feel about this drug. IT WORKS!"

Treasuregoblin (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While I found this medication to be effective for anxiety, the concentration & memory loss were terrible and almost cost me my job. I didn't really notice anything was wrong until I started my new job. Training was a nightmare. I couldn't focus long enough to learn anything new! I was reading a short list of keywords and by the time I got to #3 I couldn't remember #1. I couldn't pay attention long enough to read a book, or even a short article. I couldn't remember people's names. I had to write everything down. I couldn't focus on anything anyone was telling me, I would just pretend like I understood. Luckily I noticed something was wrong and stopped taking it about 2 months ago. My memory and ability to focus have improved."

centerstage (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed 0.5 mg which I take half a tablet going to bed if that doesn't work I take the other half. Depends on how much sleep I need or how much anxiety I have. If I'm exhausted the medicine is great I fall asleep and next thing I know I'm awake in the morning but it usually leaves a hangover which I hate. I try to deal with my anxiety holisticly but sometimes that does not work. I think it all comes down to eating healthy and watching my sugar and carb and caffeine intake. Walking and doing stretches works for me but honestly Having someone who really loves you and does not abuse you in anyway is the best answer but I don't think there's many people out there like that anymore. Koliopin is a horrible dangerous drug. All pharmaceuticals as far as I'm concerned are bad for us and then least we take it the better off we are."

Faith77girl April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lost what I typed 3 times in a row!. Xanax is awful. Completely blacked out, wasted all my fire wood cooking a terrible meal, ended up with food everywhere and half of it missing, and came to several hours later. The rest of these pills are in the bin. Worst drug experience of my life"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used to treat panic symptoms of anxiety. Quite effective for me with little side effects"

Mnak (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I previously said I don't sleep well and it affects my ever vigilant dogs who get up too. After surgical menopause when I was 33 years old, (now 62) hormones and sleep changed. I finally was prescribed Xanax 1 to 2 mg at night for sleep.. Perfect. No side effects, no abuse. Dogs don't follow me at 2:00 am any more ,only when time to sleep. Thanks."

Dogs too (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed these for an onset of panic attacks that would spike my BP to 175 over 130. Taking these 0.5 mg pills did nothing but make me lose my short term memory. I still felt panicked and my BP would only drop slightly until I rode out the attack."

VDCTHDDOM April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ever since my hot flashes started I couldn't sleep..when I say, I couldn't sleep, I mean I spent 8 years with maybe 2-3 hours of sleep per night...I just tossed and turned, watched tv. My PC prescribed every sleep medication under the moon, nothing helped. I mean NO SLEEP FOR YEARS...ambien, lunesta, seroquil. Zolpidem. Then he suggested a psychiatrist thinking some other issue was causing my insomnia. I would actually look at my bed and dread getting into it because I knew how long the night would be. Well, my " nut dr. " prescribed a few and none worked. lol finally she started me on Xanax. Let me tell you...I really don't care what addiction I might have, what risks there are...I can finally sleep and no after effects. A God Send"

Mare54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please try a different benzo before this drug. It's a life ruiner. The effects are so strong and leave the body quickly it makes you crave more. Tolerance builds like crazy with this drug too. I suggest klonopin. It works great and lasts a lot longer. Withdrawal is horrible from Xanax. You can die from it. Also comes with severe memory loss while taking it."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only med that has ever really worked for me. I've tried every holistic approach to treat my anxiety, taking a .25 takes the edge off like nothing else. I'm afraid to take meds but taking xanax doesn't make me nervous. I only take it when my anxiety and panic come back, sometimes I have it under control for long periods of time. I read a lot of negative things about becoming addicted and the withdrawal effects but most of us who really suffer hate taking meds. We rather get better with no drugs. It helps me calm down so I can think clearly and get through the day or night. Wanted to post something positive for those who are afraid to take it."

Bellaspud March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor had me on Xanax three times a day to try and stop my anxiety depression from furthering. While Xanax is wonderful for anxiety, be careful, the withdrawal can be nasty if you don't get off it properly. Needless to say I get timid taking it now cause of that. However, it helps in times of crisis."

Greekboii March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking xanax for anxiety and its s life saver!! Works really well; always carry a bottle in my purse. The only cons are that it can make me sleepy at times and it has an unpleasant aftertaste."

Anonymous please (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took two 2mg.xanax this evening and a suboxone last night. No affects noted. Are there any precautions I should be aware of??? Thank you..."

wanagi49 February 19, 2017