User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"I suffer from emetophobia-related panic attacks and anxiety, and this drug is just a godsend. I try to reserve it until I really need it as I know that, based on my personality, I could pretty easily become dependent. If it wasn't for the issues with dependency and withdrawal it would be a ten out of ten for me. I will note that after I stopped using it semi-regularly, I became better at dealing with anxiety "on my own" so to speak, and experienced less anxiety overall as I improved my coping skills. Still, I'm really grateful for this medication and encourage other miserably anxious people out there to discuss it with their doctors. It really improved my life when I thought nothing could."

Eliza_os January 10, 2017

"I suffer from complicated grief and PTSD, I lost my only child to severe mental illness almost six years ago. My anxiety is through the roof right now. Psychiatrist prescribed Ativan but it does nothing really (.5 MG) compared to Alprazolam (generic for Xanax). Even splitting a .5 MG pill helps me to stop frantic behaviors. But this stuff is addictive, you have to be careful never to go over prescribed daily dose and I don't know how difficult it will be to stop this medication, if I ever decide to do that."

FidMom (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2017

"I have suffered from anxiety & panic attacks since Kindergarten! I "self medicated",w/alcohol & weed, until they became an "issue",to say the least! I hit rock bottom almost losing my family, my job,tried AA, Shrinks, until I had a full blown attack.I thought I was having a heart attack ,sweating,rapid heart beat ,etc .I also dreaded any social affairs,or changes in my life .I thought I was just missing a link,not "normal",whatever that is! I went to my Dr & he prescribed .25mg, the lowest .But I was able to 'function" ,go to weddings ,NOT drink ,since 1999. I'm now on the 2mg addicted? I am able to live w/o alcohol & function, but do feel it ,if I don't take it.Trade off? Maybe,but it's better than being a "captive" of my fears. Just be you!:)"

EDMO' (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

"I haven't seen a xanax in the US from a US pharmacy with the name brand xanax scored on the pill in over 20 years. these had no taste. Real xanax have a very distinct taste. and it never melted in my mouth. xanax always melt in my mouth within a few minutes. I've seen videos on youtube of people pressing them. My advice is. Get a prescription from a doctor and get them from the pharmacy because that wasn't the first time I saw these.. The streets are flooded with these bars."

Unib0mb (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

"I've been on quite a few different kinds of medications for anxiety and depression, but I've never had a reaction quite like I did with this one. Within hours of taking it for the first time, I began to feel nauseous, drowsy, uncoordinated, shaky; my vision was blurry and I couldn't drive a car. These symptoms persisted until I stopped the medication. I tried it once or twice after stopping the first time, and the horrible symptoms came right back. I couldn't even do my work. If you have any sensitivities to this medication I would not recommend it. I'm no doctor, but even I know when a pill isn't worth the risk."

HughMS December 28, 2016

"I have bipolar 1, GAD & PTSD. I can't rage antidepressants (even on mood stabilizers) because of the bipolar disorder and buspirone proved useless for me. Xanax has really helped me keep my anxiety under control. I don't get the sedating effects that most people seem to. I've been on the same dose for over five years. When my mother passed away, I was also on ativan PRN for a short period of time and sometimes I wish I still had that, too. Not for everyday use, just for extremely triggering events."

espresso_dreams (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 27, 2016

"I have severe social anxiety and have tried every other medicine out there and nothing has worked. Xanax so far has changed my life. I'm able to talk to people and look them in the eye and not feel stupid every where I went. I take .5mg 3 times a day. I'm just worried about the addiction part. I've heard it's pretty bad. But I rather be happy all the time than having panic attacks all the time."

Jgm1987 December 14, 2016

"For years, I didn't know I was suffering from Anxiety and Panic Attacks. My doctor told me what was happening to me & prescribed Xanax. It helps me TREMENDOUSLY. I feel "normal" now. Been using it for 10 years."

Miss FiFi December 13, 2016

"I have been on Xanax since 2007 when I was watching my mother slowly suffer. I started on 0.25 mg and eventually the dose was not enough. Now ordered 1 mg in morning and 2 mg at night. It works ,however I have cognitive impairment and all I want to do is sleep and my memory is pretty shot. I weaned myself down very ,very slowly and got down to 1 mg daily at night, but then some negative events happened and I was going into a panic attack. I know this medication works, but I would not take it unless it is a must."

Brain Dead December 13, 2016

"Xanax does feel like a miracle drug, but then addictive drugs always do at 1st. All is fine, for someone with anxiety there definitely does seem to be some kind of euphoria, because you feel like you can properly have jokes, interact socially, be yourself again e.t.c. It's only a band-aid, I know it's not an ideal world where everyone can get the best therapies e.t.c. but in truth it doesn't work forever and many people (such as myself) end up with inter-dose withdrawals and 'psychological dependence', ("OMG I FORGOT TO PACK MY XANAX HOW WILL I COPE?"). Compared to the withdrawals I experienced (no seizures thank god), the anxiety that made me go to the doc in the 1st place was very minor. I would advise use for no more than a month."

Matt Hopland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

"Let's be honest guys if you have anxiety you know too well it's the only thing that helps. I've tried several others medications for my anxiety but non of them worked so well as xanax. I've tried Paxil Amitriptyline Zyprexa Celexa Seroquel. All of them were a waste of time. The only problem with xanax is that it is addictive and becomes really easily habit forming because it WORKS!"

❤️ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2016

"I have been using Xanax for the last 7 months, I don't know how to thank my doctor for prescribing this medication to me. I suffered from being lonely and scared if I will die, I panic for every little thing, now I take every night 0.5mg Xanax, is there anyone to let me know if you taking Xanax for a long time."

Cindy Gaschi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2016

"This med helped me to go back to a stressful job after burnout.I am so grateful to have had this to deal with stress++++.I was able to function well.but not get panicked or be exhausted by the stressful Work in a hospital..5mg per day was so helpful."

D J M (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2016

"Hi everyone! I live in Australia... I have just returned from my doctors today 19.10.16 to be told that xanax will no longer be avaiable. Only for special circumstances,so please check with your doctor if you are reliant on this medication."

girlyface20 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 19, 2016

"I normally take xanax to get off to sleep, but here lately I have been taking it in the day time as well, because I get panicky through the day now as well. Wish this anxiety would just go away and stay away. Have an appointment with a psychologist but I really don't think it is psychological."

robertestokley October 12, 2016

"I am 64 and earlier in my life i never had any gad/panic attacks. Not scared of anything! Then my first panic attack. I was on a freeway far from home and alone. Out of the blue..the clamminess, heart rate through the roof, shakes etc. I pulled off the freeway to a parking lot. I got out and my knees buckled. I was terrified. It finally subsided somewhat and i finished the trip on back highways. . Now my trigger is driving even though all my life i loved driving anywhere..long distances alone..no problem until this. When i got home (barely) my dr. recommended .5 mg xanax as needed. A miracle drug for me! It makes me feel normal! I do not take every day"

Carol/Ark (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

"I was prescribed Xanax in 1993 when I started college at age 35. Have Panic Disorder, anxiety disorder and PTSD. Dosage has always been .5-1 mg daily. I'm completely a different person with it!! No more stuttering, no more panic attacks and running out if class to hide. I've never had to increase the dose since 1993. I could never gave gotten through 16 years of college without it!!"

Ms.G (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2016

"After being tried on Klonopin, and Ativan, my doctor put my on 90 1mg xanax. I noticed that if I put it under my tongue, that it helps faster. I noticed it didn't only help anxiety. Myoclonous decreases while on anxiety, and my seizures have decreased a little. I normally don't get an aura before a seizure. If I do, I quickly chew it up and melt it under my tongue. Within minutes, I calm down, and the aura will slow down most time time. I do believe that this has aborted a seizure too. I can't stand to get out in public, my heart races, I feel this sense of panic, and then think, "What if I have another seizure in public?". Feel much calmer on this medication. It starts working within a few minutes, unlike Klonopin or Ativan."

Steve88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 25, 2016

"Hi all! I was given this medicine for my anxiety, I took it for 1.5 months only. I want to advise people who take this medicine to stay clear because when doctor made dosage smaller before stopping, I began to have weird sensations, my body started to sweat and I began seeing aurora around people and objects on road and was fainting for the next three months. ER say I had grand mal seizure and need a neck surgery, it didnt feel like seizures I just felt like I was dreaming. In the ER they gave me the same medicine to treat seizure so I dont know what is wrong?? Why is this medication given if its so dangerous, I never felt like this before and was very fit athletic girl in sweden."

Patriska K. September 22, 2016

"This is truly a cure all! As long as it's taken the right way and responsibly I see no problem with that whatsoever."

Happy mommmmm (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

"My doctor prescribed me Xanax after I got fired from my job for verbally assaulting a colleague. I also suffer from schizoaffective disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Today, I felt like having a rage filled outburst at someone I do volunteer work with. I took a Xanax and within 30 minutes, I was happy and chatty and relaxed."

LalithaCh19 September 20, 2016

"I deal with an aniexty disorder. Where I fear anything that has anything to do with the Apocalypse or other things like bad things in the news or conspiracy theories. When I first tried Xanax. It blew my mind. Before it I wouldn't eat or sleep because I was so worried. Now I take it when I need to and it makes me focus on things at hand."

Darkthrone1996 September 18, 2016

"In 2001, I started feeling like I was having a heart attack twice a month. I ended up in the ER & was admitted. I happen to be one of the lucky females who suffers from hormonal anxiety. I was given all the tests possible, stayed overnight & discharged with my first script of the smallest dose of xanax. I have used it only AS NEEDED since then and to this day it still helps me at the smallest dose once a day. I have gone through some very serious rough patches in my life which had me taking this, at most, 1.5 pills maybe four days in a row. It works so well that I can't ever imagine taking it more often than needed ~ why would you want to mess up something that works?? The key is taking it as prescribed, just like any medication."

TStewart14Fan (taken for 10 years or more) September 13, 2016

"I take Xanax as needed for anxiety or panic attacks and have for years. My Dr. prescribed as needed every 8 hours .25mg. It works great for me! I used to "fear" getting addicted but at times a year has passed and I have to discard the pills. It all depends on what is going on in my life and how I respond. I also am on Paxil 37.5 for anxiety which at time I still need additional coverage. I am thankful my Dr. Was able to assist me lead a closer to normal life."

SheShe#918 September 6, 2016

"I urge anyone to start on the smallest dose as I was pleasantly surprised that a tiny nibble of 2mg worked amazingly quick and helped curtail a full blown attack. I have taken a full 2 mg at once when panic attack was at worst. I simply fell asleep and awoke with same anxiety. If I take the small dose as I feel the attack coming on, it just stops. I know everyone is different but I have always been within the mindset that the stronger the better with meds. That has not been the case with Zanax for me. I also keep in mind this is a med that your body will eventually need more of for equal benefit. It's a miracle med for those who have unexplained fear. It has saved my marriage!"

Kbs3b (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2016