User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"I've been taking this medicine for 7 years. I only take the1mg pill when I'm having a panic attack. Sometimes more than other times. For me it is a God sent. That horrible tightness in your chest, and shortness in breath is unbearable. However I can see how someone could get hooked on this drug."

kkaskie2001 August 25, 2016

"Xanax saved me. Apprehensive about taking meds but broke down after it got so bad I didn't even want to take the covers off my head with my eyes clenched shut just fearing every day because I knew anxiety, fear of everything under the sun and panic attacks would rule my day. I was told I needed to be on long term anxiety drugs so I tried lexapro and ended up in the er with side effects so horrific I don't even want to think of it now. Xanax is basically a quick fix to calm the anxiety but it's the only thing I'm willing to take and over time I broke out of the nightmare I was living. I still have bouts of anxiety but as long as I have Xanax on hand I know I'll be ok. I never had any bad side effects except for being tired. Trade is worth it"

Andiee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

"Was prescribed xanax (alprazolam) for GAD. First few months were a godsend. After I became dependent on them, the doctor- apparently not understanding the slightest thing about dependence- upped the dosage several times. I noticed that my anxiety seemed to be getting worse and I was afraid to leave the house- a problem I had never had before. Took me a while to realize the elephant in the room- it was the "anti-anxiety" drugs! After withdrawing from the drugs- which fortunately was easy compared to the nightmare I have seen some people describe, I noticed I felt less anxious and in general, more "alive". If you feel like your anxiety isn't improving after long term benzo use- the root of your problem may be the drugs themselves!"

James Holden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 8, 2016

"I was given xanax in the hospital when people at work thought I was having a heart attack. My anxiety shot up so bad, my heart rate was 170. Been on 2 mg a day ever since (this happen 2 months ago). I only take 1 1/2 mg a day & it works for me. I feel like I have control of my life again. I have heard stories & seen people on it who over take it but if you take it as prescribed, it works."

Karen N (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

"I have taken Xanax for about 25 years but only as needed. There are many years I never took any & there are years I took it for a few weeks to help with my Anxiety, stress of having a child with a deadly disease & the depression that ensues. I usually take the .5mg & cut it in half and only use it 1-2 times a day, occasionally 3 halves a day. It soothes me & helps my constantly chattering, negative mind take a break. I have tried SSRIs & have symptoms of being allergic to them, so can't take them, ie muscle twitching, rash & itching. So, Xanax is my only recourse. I know it an be addictive so am very careful to take it only as needed, short courses, & usually about half the amount the Dr. prescribes. It has helped me greatly."

Keep Fighting June 29, 2016

"I started taking Xanax .25 mg for generalized anxiety over the past few days and it has helped me feel relaxed, less worried and happy also hasn't affected me with any crazy side effects. (Which I was afraid of happening) I was so scared to take them but my anxiety was getting out of control so I figured I would give it a try and see how my body handles it. I'm going to continue taking one a day since it seems to be helping a lot. I don't worry and I feel calm, the pill does wear off after a few hrs and takes about 20-30 mins to kick in but my dr says it's safe to take another one as needed. I'm also doing counseling too and it is very helpful as well. Definitely recommend this for anxiety!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"For several years I have been prescribed 1mg to take up to 3 times per day - sometimes I take less, some days even none! But I find that Xanax does for me what adderall does for children suffering add. For some reason the drug helps me have precision focus, a clear mind, better communication, rapid fire thought processing, and motivation - just for starters. I don't expect to take it for the rest of my life, but I go thro prolonged periods of anxiety and antisocial behavior (will urinate in bottles in my room when at my worst). Glad to know there are a few people who Experience the same effects using Xanax as Maintenance. It's been a life saver for me! Curious to understand why it has this off label effect on us select few."

Greggery June 22, 2016

Greggery (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

"I have been suffering from panic attack since 2013 and was kept on Xanax .5mg TDS really its the drug which can enhance the Quality of life. Even though we have the xanax regularly but some times panics and anxiety comes, i though to cure anxiety off when met to psychiatrist he prescribed Zoloft 50mg once a day along woth clonazipam .25mg at bed time, having satarted that panics came with great intensity i left both Zoloft and Revotril and rejoin Xanax the problem solver... Thx Almighty who has put lots of benefits in Xanax..."

Khan Baba June 13, 2016

"Very helpful in reducing anxiety for me. It is fast-acting, and it made a difference in me being able to keep up with my job. Now, I'm on Klonopin though since the doctor said that it stays in the system longer for anxiety. However, the fast relief of Xanax works very well when an immediate spike in anxiety happens. The effects usually only last a few hours for me, and I can understand how it can be addictive for this reason, but it's been great for immediate panic symptoms and helpful with focusing. I did not notice that "drugged up," foggy feeling on a small dose of .5 mg-1 mg as needed."

xRavenx June 4, 2016

"Xanax has really helped me with my anxiety and it's not habit forming to me. It helps me a lot!"

Quel32 May 29, 2016

"I am on a 1mg dose of xanax on and off for about a year for imsonia, night panics and generalized anxienty. And I can say this is the best pill. Worked great for me. It helps me feel calm allday and relaxed during the night so I can get the sleep I need. Gives me energy during the day when I drink green tea early morning."

lovelilac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2016

"Man, there's nothing to say about xanax that hasn't been said. It does its job like nothing else. Works perfectly, but because of that, it's super addictive to people prone to anxiety and stress. Because it's the magic pill that makes it go away! That said, my experience with it has been mostly good, as I have never gone above 2mg and i try to keep myself at 1mg daily. This is a literal life saver for someone with severe anxiety."

O B (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2016

"My doctor started me on Xanax 0.5 mg almost 2 weeks ago. I've had severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder since 2009. Along with everyday terrible body pains from the stress and anxiety And I was only taking Zoloft. Since then. But the Zoloft stop working like it use to. I find the Xanax to help me some. And it suppresses my body pain as well. And I don't feel doped up. I still feel the strangeness, and unreal feelings from my anxiety. The situation doesn't matter. The anxiety grabs me when ever it wants too. But the Xanax take a little edge off. From 1-10. I'd say 6-7. For me that's good. Because my panic- anxiety is super scary."

My Franklin (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

"I've been taking low dose .5mg xanax for a few years for social anxiety and occasional panic attacks. It's excellent. I take it as needed, which I like, it lets me feel more in control. I rarely take a full dose. It's very effective even in a lower dose. It just lets me keep anxiety under control so I can function well. I never notice any major fogginess or anything with it either unlike other benzos I've taken like ativan. Just in moderation. A little goes a long way. Absolutely great medication for anxiety and occasional severe panic attacks. It has completely helped me build my confidence up and get my life back!"

RonnyW April 8, 2016

"I suffer from anxiety and mood swings much of it is work stress related, Xanax has worked wonders for me no habit I have not experience any side effects and I don't believe is habit forming, I only take it as needed, I always keep them with me just in case I suffer a panic attack, I greatly recommend it."

Liz10 April 6, 2016

"I have been on Xanax 1mg TID since 2013. This has been a miracle drug for my anxiety. I also take Celexa 40mg daily in combination with Xanax. Within minutes of taking my prescription, I feel a tremendous amount of stress relief. I normally take 2 at bedtime and sleep straight through the night and never wake up groggy. I feel refreshed each morning, and get ready for work. 2 thumbs up for this medication. Those that abuse it, you give patients who truly suffer from anxiety and depression a bad name."

linzxo (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2016

"I had only taken Xanax a few times as needed and losing it (oops). Sometimes it works right away with calming me down and everything, but this one time I was a mess and it took a while to work. But, on the bright side, I have very bad insomnia and it made me sleep better. I do not take it as a sleepy aid, that was just one instance where it was night time."

Kurai (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2016

"I began taking xanax at 1mg daily spread out over the day when diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I have had it 3 times now so have been on this medication for 6 years. It controls my anxiety and panic or fearful thoughts mostly. It's been extremely helpful and my doctor knows I keep my dosage as directed. Very beneficial for me but it took a long while to overcome the stigma. Life is to valuable to waste feeling bad.!!"

Catstail (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2016

"I have GAD, PTSD, Adult ADD, Bi-polar & crippling panic attacks aka Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed with panic disorder at the age of 7. It ruins my life. I took klonopin for 7 years threw middle and high school. It worked okay but I always felt like something else could work better. I have been on Prozac, cymbalta, latuda, visteril, lexapro, Effexor, amnitriptalyne, celexa, Paxil, lyrica, neurontin, depakote, seroquel and risperdal. Nothing EVER worked. I finally am on a routine of; 40mg Prozac, 25mg amnitriptalyne, 40mg adderall a day, .5mg klonopin 4X daily, .5mg of halcion for insomnia. My doc recently changed me to 1mg Xanax 3X daily and it has been a lifesaver. I don't feel like a zombie and my mood has evened out!! Love it so much."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2016

"I started taking this medication since I was 18 years old on and off. Let me put it in simple terms it is highly addictive. Yes it cured my anxiety but temporary only as long as I was on it. Miss a day and you want to crwal out of your own skin. The withdrawls are horrendous. Xanax just masks the problem. As soon as I got back on it my brain just wants it and thats all I think about. Valarian root is healthier and natural think twice before taking Xanax. Go for natural products if you can."

Sassyone6085 March 17, 2016

"I get anxiety attacks with nausea (GAD diagnosed) and use half a .25 tablet during an attack. I'm pretty drug sensitive and also leery of overuse. I'm way under recommended dosage of one full .25 tab every six hours, but it takes the edge off my rushing thoughts of worry at half of one every 12-16 hours as needed. I was without anxiety attacks for 7 years and had a very old prescription that I used when my attacks returned. FDA has to list an expiration date but 80-90% of the drug was still active."

MerricMaker (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2016

"I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression since I was a child. I've tried everything for anxiety: lexapro, Celexa, Effexor XR, Prozac, and Xanax. It's been the only medication that has really saved my life from this illness. Otherwise, if I don't take it, I won't be able work or live. I know that there is so much stigma about how it's addicting and it's abused. If you genuinely have a serious anxiety disorder, don't focus on the stigma. Take them! Or try to live the severe anxiety. You sort of have to pick your poison. I have never abused xanax. I started taking Klonopin for about a year, and was switched to xanax. I've always taken my medicine as prescribed. Right now, I'm taking .25 mg and it does wonders for me."

Overcomer31 March 9, 2016

"Way too addictive. Very expensive in my country, and gives me extreme vivid dreams/nightmares. But the mellow feeling is nice after a panic attack. Stops dead on track panic, and almost any emotional crisis. But I prefer to stay away. I changed to Klonopin."

corvohunter March 1, 2016

"I started out Valium for about 20 years 10 mg x 4 a day. Used for anxiety and sleep. It worked was a comfort to know most of the time used 2 per day so I always had extra. I think knowing I had extras help almost as much. Then Dr changed prescription to alprazolam 2 mg tablets 4 times a day, some heavy difference, at first it worked well . In the beginning I felt it 30 minutes after I took it and only needed 2 per day, now I'm at 4 per day that's 8 mgs and I don't feel it , I don't know about withdrawals but I hear it's pretty hard to get off and I've been on them for 30 years. Not sure what to expect but think I would feel more alert and energetic too"

James1663 (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2016