User Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

Xanax Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax

kappa kappa gamma May 31, 2020

“I’ve had benzodiazepine prescriptions (ativan, k-pin, & xanax) since 15 y/o until now (20 y/o). Over the past 5 years, it’s been rough managing physical and psychological dependency issues. I’ll blackout for a week at a time and proceed to buy fake xans from friends (usually cut with fentanyl and other bad stuff). During my attempt to wean off the drug, I ended up having a grand mal seizure at a party (Dec. 2019). Since then, managing sobriety from all benzos has lead to self medicating through other substances (cannabis, ketamine, cocaine, kratom, norcos). I was living in my sorority’s chapter house but moved into a fraternity house about 3 months ago, in which 3 brothers are active xanax users. It is really rough Basically, if you’re prone to addiction (runs in the family, other psychiatric conditions, etc) watch out dude”

Reinier · Taken for 10 years or more April 17, 2020

“I have used Xanax for 20 years. Always taken it as needed, and it works wonderfully, no side effects at all, no getting used to it as evidenced by not using it for days and no withdrawal. I tried everything else suffering severe side effects like Seroquel. I only need 1mg twice a day, maybe on real panic day three times.”

Noel Garnet · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“This drug has saved me on a thousand occasions, from generalized anxiety to panic attacks or somatic tension, up to situations of severe insomnia where the next day I had to get up early in the morning. I have always considered it a godsend, it is an excellent anxiolytic and it is very useful also for those suffering from sleep disorders, because it does not leave heaviness or numbness the next day, due to its short duration of action in the body. My average dosage is 20 drops (0.50 mg). What can I say, to me it is the best anxiolytic!”

Vin · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

“I have Poliaradiculoneuropathy (when polyneuropathy and polyradiculopathy occur together). Xanax is not so great for general anxiety, but I appreciate this drug, since I discovered its off label use for my terrible neuropathy. It reduces my legs pain and stiffness by ca. 70% and set me free from being bedridden. Now I can walk several km with the help of crutches and feel more like human again. I am getting addicted to it, but I could care less.”

PANICATTHEDISCO · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

“3yrs on and off as needed. Not sure why this is a popular recreational drug? It really just make me feel normal again when I start getting high bp spikes from anxiety and panic attack symptoms. It definitely works, no side effects that I have been aware of.”

Brokey · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2020

“I have been on xanax for 30 years and it worked great for my anxiety and panic attacks. I am not addicted but it help with everything bothering me. Well my Dr. just cut me off abruptly ! The withdraw is terrible. I was willing to wean myself off of them but cut off.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2020

“I have been on xanax for over five years. I am not addicted. I take them as prescribed. I don't drink and I have positive results. I have no side effects”

Js · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 1, 2020

“I've taken xanax to help me sleep for several years. I try to take it as little as possible so I won't get addicted. It makes me tired, even at.25 so I don't take it during the day. Luckily, I don't suffer from panic attacks very often. I probably take it a few times a month just before bed. It works better than it antihistamines although I frequently wake up after 6 hours which is all it seems to last. I have heard about it leading to Alzheimer's though. I'm afraid of that.”

tiger January 22, 2020

“I have been on Xanax for about 20 years, 1mg for sleep. I am not addicted to it but dependent like a person with high blood pressure is dependent on meds., or diabetic dependent on insulin, or humans dependent on oxygen. I have had no side reactions and am 78 years old. It has saved my life. Try not sleeping for a week and see what happens. You will be inside your worse nightmare Why the uproar over physical dependence, I do not know. It must come from the Gov.”

sunnyrayod January 19, 2020

“I have been using this drug for several years for my anxiety attacks, and it great. But anxiety has been getting worse and worse especially during work which causes heart stress (thanks so much anxiety..), so my doctor is now letting me take it during my 5-day work week. It works excellently. I am so much more calm and present at work. I will say I am a lot more lethargic, and that is noticeable. But otherwise I have no side effects, so I will continue with this treatment and I am so glad that it is so effective. The good outweighs the bad for me, but I will say that if you tend to be more dependent on drugs like these, I don’t recommend it for you. I have no addiction to it and no withdrawal symptoms when go days without after taking it for multiple days in a row. So just be aware, and pay attention to your body. If you are struggling with learning the difference between wanting another dose and needing another dose, talk to your doctor.”

Gomez · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2020

“I have been taking xanax for 10 years. Through an alcohol addiction I drink while on Xanax not a good idea If used as prescribed It takes away my panic attacks. I couldn't even leave the house without. It also helped me stop drinking 3 years sober now still on xanax 1 mg 3 times daily. Some days now I don't even take it . With proper self control it saved my life. Hands down. I had a lot of stress since quitting drinking between family members dying. This last year has been hard to say the least 2019 was probably the worst year of my life and I stayed sober through It. No more alcohol”

Vintage · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

“Suffered major depression and anxiety when my father died when I was 18 years of age. I constantly considered killing my self. Antidepressants and therapy had little effect on my outlook on life. But then I was prescribed Xanax. I learned to calm down and to actually take a look at my life. Just don’t abuse the drug and it works wonders.”

JConrad · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 4, 2020

“Well, I have mixed thoughts about Xanax. On one hand, it is a very fast acting drug, and seems to be more "powerful" than klonopin at the same dosage (0.5mg). On the other hand, it seems to have a very short time effect, with a more pronounced "knock out" effect. In short: at least for me klonopin works much better. I stopped cold turkey (not the right thing to do, I know) and had no issues at all. I had taken it for over a year for panic. Also, it seemed to boost my appetite beyond normal levels, but I leave this as an open question as to a plausible effect.”

pbirm · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“I have been having sleep issues for years. At times its not too bad but lately it's been hard to fall a asleep. I also get up multiple times to urinate due to an enlarged prostate. I'm 51. My wife had some Xanax and she told me to try one before going to bed. I used it the last 2 nights. The pills are 0.5 mg. OMG, I slept like a BABY for the 2 nights and felt so refreshed. I also only got up once to use the bathroom. Most nights I get up almost every hour to urinate. That wreaks my sleep. I will not take the pill every night but I may periodically. Too bad it's not safe to take for a long period of time.”

Fitness freak December 15, 2019

“Was prescribed Xanax .25 mg as needed about 9 months ago. After a few weeks I cut it back on my own to .125 as needed. I’m averaging .1 mg a day. I’m concerned about long term use, ( is 9 months considered long term?) Withdrawal is another fear( does replacing Xanax with another drug make any sense?) and mostly, the dizziness that I feel almost daily, especially when standing up or getting out of bed. Anyone have advice or personal experience that can help me? I’m 62, with 3 widow maker stents, but otherwise in excellent health.”

Unsure · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 7, 2019

“I have panic disorder, anxiety, some OCD. I’ve been on Xanax (1mg as needed which ends up being daily but usually only at night and then I take 2) for about 7 years. I was originally prescribed it more than 20 years ago but kept it as a security blanket. I’ll never forget the first time I actually got the nerve to try it. “This is what normal people feel like???”, was my response. I would keep my review at a 10 EXCEPT, now I’m hearing LOTS of talk (and medical reviews) that it causes dementia/Alzheimer’s!!! This is the ONLY drug that works for me and I feel I need to get off of it. Scared and torn and would love a solution.”

Brother Pitts · Taken for 10 years or more December 3, 2019

“Xanax takes away all the nervousness mind racing and anxiety while making me feel calm and content. Miracle drug to me”

JUJU · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

“I was prescribed 2mg Xanax 2 times a day for severe anxiety and insomnia this drug works amazing for sleeping issues as far as anxiety I just break a piece off and let it dissolve under my tongue (nasty taste) but takes anxiety away immediately. I'm so glad my psychiatrist put me on this medication for anxiety /panic attacks/insomnia I don't abuse it sometimes I even go days without having to even take it .... Its definitely a life saver to have though!!”

mazamamama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2019

“I have severe OCD, with accompanying anxiety and debilitating insomnia. Xanax helps me break thought loops. I only take it a few times per week, almost exclusively at night, and rarely during the day when I'm hit with a paralyzing bout of obsessional thought. I take .125 mg (half a .25mg pill). Surprisingly, that is enough to stop the ruminating and make me a little drowsy, and that adds up to falling asleep. Sometimes I take it in the middle of the night to get back to sleep, but only if I don't have to get up early the next day and if I didn't take it to get to sleep that night in the first place. The way I see it, if .125 to .25 mg stops working for me, it'll be time to move on and maybe revisit Xanax at a later date. Having tried a great many different medications, I'm beginning to think rotating treatments is the way to go anyway, to prevent tolerance, addiction, and avoid long-term side effects/consequences.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“l suffer panic and distress. doctor wrote a prescription 0.25mg Xanax twice per day for me, three weeks pasted. l feel very good.”

v · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“I have awful, crippling anxiety that sometimes makes me spiral into holes of despair and this helps me out of them but my body just feels so weird I am not sure it's worth it sometimes TBH. My body (esp. my arms) feel really heavy...? I'm only on 0.5 mg and take it only in emergencies.”

Barrebaby · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 15, 2019

“Xanax really helped when the world felt like shaking due to anxiety . It changed my view of thought for the better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 12, 2019

“Xanax saved me from having anxiety and panic attacks I just take one 2MG once a day, it says to take it twice a day but I don't..just once 2MG a day”

Alpha · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2019

“The first time my doctor gave me xanax I thought this is the best! I started with 1mg per day, then 2, and then 3. It made me feel so calm and more happy. But I realized after how addictive it is. Now I take Xanax up to 6mg per day because I feel is the only thing that helps me not having anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes I just enjoy how it makes me feel. It has been very effective but I also think is dangerous. Because I don't care about the side effects but I am very scared of the thought of overdosing. I lie to people about how mg I take in a day. Take care of your self, if you have depression. It is easily to get addicted because it gives you that empty feeling you might find pleasant.”

Gotta get off these things! November 7, 2019

“Been on Xanax for almost 17 years for acute anxiety disorder. I also have a rare heart condition that I take meds for. Xanax was good at first but now after 17 years and up to a prescription of 6mg a day. Just came down from 8mg a day. It’s messing with me. In the past few months I’ve been experiencing what I call googly eyes followed by a headache. I’ve told my Drs and none have an explanation. So I did a test myself. Took my heart meds as usual in the morning left out the Xanax. No googly eyes. Until I took one then there it was. Dizzy ,couldn’t see straight had to lay down with a bad headache. Can you build up a bad dose in your body after taking so much for so long? I’ve only been on the 8&6 mg for about 5 years. I have a family and I know I’m going to need in patient care to get off this stupid medicine. Also let me add yes I know I’m addicted and dependent but I’m scared and not sure if what to do but try to slowly ween myself off. Of course my dr is helping.”