User Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

Xanax Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax

"Many have said that alprazolam is a life-saver. I endorse that statement fully. If you panic or become anxious you'll be unable to process thoughts properly which affects ALL your decisions, from making coffee in the morning to DRIVING your car to fulfilling your employment. Also, highly endorse taking the 0.5 mg before bed. Wake refreshed by the benefit of uninterrupted sleep. Thirdly, I read from someone up above my post, and I've experienced this awful phenomenon too, so => DON'T share what prescriptions you take with anyone that is not a health professional. You'll leave yourself open to criticism that is detrimental to you by non-doctors ! Xanax is an important, very helpful, prescription. I'm sorry that some have the "addiction gene" (my terminology, not official). They should definitely 'watch it' if they know themselves to have an addictive nature. I believe the 'script can still help them. Sometimes I go for a few days without needing it and notice no withdrawal. Prescribed patient of 30 years."

L1oness (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2019

"I was first very fearful of taking any kind of medication. However, I eventually gave in & I am very happy I did. Xanax is a very effective drug. However, you must be careful because this medication is a benzodiazepine & it can be super addicting. Therefore, I personally only take it when I absolutely need it, mostly to sleep. This medication relaxes me, which makes me happy & especially hungry. It really takes the anxiety right out of your stomach if that's where you hold it. I do notice since I've started on birth control it effects me differently, not bad just different."

sabxbro (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2019

"I have been on Xanax 8mgs a day for about 12 years. This pill saved my life."

Lindsay (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2019

"This medication did nothing for me and I don't know if that was a good thing (since I didn't have any problems getting off of it) or if it was a bad thing (since it didn't help my anxiety at all). I have yet to find another person to whom this didn't work either. Overall I don't think this is worth the risk and even if you do take it, it only helps for a short period of time. Xanax will make anxiety levels go down but then once the medication wears off, your anxiety will spike higher than before, and the cycle continues."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2019

"I have been on xanax since I was 22. (I am 39 now) I take it probably once or twice a year (yes year!) At 22, I got diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I couldn't leave the house it was debilitating. I was put on Prozac and told to take Xanax as needed only. So I started on 0.5 when I really really needed it. In the beginning I will say I took one about every week. Then Prozac kicked in and I was fine. I still get those moments where I can feel the panic attack coming, so I will pop one and I'm good to go. One bottle of 30 pills could last me years! But because they expire after 2 years, the doctor sends me for a fresh bottle. If taken responsibly, this medication is great. No side effects for me and 0.5 mg is more than enough to take the edge off. I tried Valium and Ativan and it made me sick (nausea, vomiting, hallucinations) Xanax was the only one that was gentle for me. Keep in mind, everyone is different and will have different experiences."

Dana79 (taken for 10 years or more) April 15, 2019

"Really helps instantly, just remember benzodiazipenes are very addictive. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL WHILE USING THIS!"

IncognitoOmen (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

"I would rate this drug a 10/10 if it wasn't for the fast tolerance that you develop the more frequently you take it, and the very high risk of dependency, because it really works like magic and I felt no side effects. I tried my best to be careful while taking this, and although I definitely developed tolerance as I feel the lower dose (0.25 mg) does nothing for me, thankfully I didn't become dependent on it because I tried to minimize usage as much as possible. I would say Xanax can be like magic when you feel like you're going through debilitating anxiety and have frequent panic attacks, but it is a quick fix and should be used as a short-term treatment while finding a long-term treatment, because I can see how physical and psychological dependency can easily develop - if the issue isn't addressed and use is frequently continued. I'm currently taking an antidepressant which seriously made such a difference to my mental health, and now rarely need to take Xanax."

danaaq92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

"Do not use these daily or you'll become addicted. They are great for the occasional anxiety as they work fast. But the half life is so very very short that you can easily start going into withdrawals after a few days. Be careful with this benzo!"

Pocariboy (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2019

"Best medication for anxiety. Kills anxiety instantly and makes you feel good. It’s sedative but it’s worth it."

TJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 3, 2019

"Jewels411. No, you're not crazy. I took Xanax 35 years. Yes it definitely helped. But warning, extremely addictive. It can ruin your life. I would recommend Valium. It will relieve your anxiety, yet doesn't have near the addictive traits. Good Luck."

KM (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2019

"Hey there I'm new to taking xanax and to this site. I'm 31 years old got married in June to a man who doesn't believe in anxiety so it makes me feel worse. I have been so scared to take it due to the fact I have taken stuff as a teen that made me feel really out of it and depressed. I have been to every dr and emergency room late at night, sick to my stomach, my chest feeling heavy and my head heavy and fuzzy, can't focus, dizzy, hot, tingling feeling numbness my face, my lips, my arms and everyone says it's anxiety or a panic attack. I feel so alone in this and I'm scared that there is something really wrong with me and the dr's are just not finding it. I feel hopeless I hope the xanax will help do something. I can't function in society and I'm tired of faking that I'm ok when I'm dying inside does anyone else feel like this or am I just crazy."

Jewels411 January 13, 2019

"I've had severe anxiety all of my life manifesting in different forms. I take Pristiq which works well for my generalized anxiety. I have horrible situational anxiety that make me sweat feverishly and it's so embarrassing. Xanax is a miracle for this. If I have an event going on that I know is going to take my anxiety over the edge I can take Xanax and it makes me totally comfortable and not sweat uncontrollably like I'm in a sauna. I don't take everyday. 1mg maybe 4x a week if needed. Its a shame how people can abuse this drug ( I don't get how) and promote it in rap music which gives it a terrible reputation. This ruins it for people who need it."

June22 January 1, 2019

"In my teens, I developed a fear of what I thought was nausea/vomiting. The feeling would overwhelm me to the point where my body shook sometimes. I was especially concerned this feeling would occur when I was somewhere I couldn’t escape/where people would see me. I didn’t eat much for two years. No one seemed to understand. Over time, the feeling seemed to subside, until it came back with vengeance at a job interview during college. My gyno was the first to prescribe me Xanax after I was diagnosed with pelvic muscle spasms. I didn’t take it until that feeling crept up on me one night. Xanax made it subside almost immediately. It was then I realized I had been suffering with anxiety/panic all this time. I now take Xanax on occasion when my panic comes back, but even just knowing what this feeling is now has helped so much. If you have a similar “feeling” of fear that makes you feel frozen/helpless, don’t suffer alone. There are ways to overcome it."

Dkvidn December 19, 2018

"I was placed on 2 mg xanax 3 times daily in 2002 for anxiety panic disorder and my nightmare begun, sure this medication may seem to help you in the moment, but in reality it zaps your life away becoming so depended on it, all the warning signs about the wicked medication should alarm anyone, IT'S ALL true, after years of being co-depended on this medication, today I am free from it with little to NO help from doctors, if I could offer anyone help getting off I would, this medications effects of long term use out weights any benefits one may get from it. Trying to stop taking it is terrible, but with constant positive reinforcement it can be done, I did it, so can others."

Glad to be done (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2018

"I have a crippling phobia of needles, as well as anxiety disorder. I’ve refused crucial medical treatment such as IVs and vaccines for deadly diseases, and it put my life at risk. So my doctor prescribed Xanax. At first dose (1mg) it didn’t make my mind any calmer, it just sedated my body so I couldn’t run away, but my mind was just as desperate and terrified as usual. My dose for such visits is now 3mg and I am doing so much better!!!! 3mg is not healthy for most, but since I have a severe case it is necessary. Granted, I need assistance walking during the time I’m on it, and it makes me ‘blackout’ (I don’t remember a thing from hours it’s in effect) but it’s worth it to be able to receive medical treatment. Please note that Xanax won’t make your phobias any less scary in the moment, but it will help you get you through life. All in all I think Xanax saved my life."

College student (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2018

"Alprazolam is to me what glucose is to a diabetic. I’m an educated contributing member of society but am genuinely a disabled person without this drug. My anxiety without this drug is so extreme that I spend every waking moment trying to relieve a fear state, cannot experience peace of any kind, laugh, smile, or function in any state outside of terror. CBT, meditation, positive thinking, hot showers, faith, etc. just do not work for the level of anxiety I have. I have tried many other drugs and classes of drugs because I’m aware of what Xanax is, but this drug is the treatment for anxiety like mine. I would never abuse this drug, would never drink alcohol with it, and am highly aware of how it affects me. Xanax keeps me off disability and well, period."

Responsible male Xanax patient (taken for 10 years or more) November 26, 2018

"I have been using this medication for over 30 years. I don't see how anyone can abuse this drug. It works wonders for me when I need it. Especially when I stress out. It will calm you down quick. I take .25 as needed. Usually 2x a month. Sometimes 3. At night or right after work."

Superman November 17, 2018

"I've taken .25mg Xanax for sleep for 29 years, with Wellbutrin and Trazodone for Major Depressive Disorder with Anxiety. Never increased the dose, never needed to. Now with the opioid crisis my doctor has refused to prescribe it any more. Never considered that I needed it. Afraid of the government, I guess."

snaarl October 27, 2018

"Dealing with anxiety, panic disorder and now agoraphobia. Xanax helps my symptoms well. Manage, well that's the Catch-22. I was put on 1 mg 3x daily. I stopped for 9 mo. Started again recently but at much lower dose. I don't think I ever took 3 daily previously. I'm taking 1/2 or 0.5mg twice daily. But when needed I'll take a whole 1mg. Problem is I notice this med produces an "urgent" type of anxiety on it's own if I don't take it 3x daily. Makes it hard to manage. Before present doc, I had been told by 2 different doctors they'd give me antihistamines. For Panic, anxiety? Seriously offended. [Its like pain medication - the physician knows as soon as you ingest 1 pill : YOUR DEPENDENT. But they all blame the patient] Wish I could find Long Acting - slow release Xanax. Be wise, don't ever take more, ever ! Less is best if you can & your doctor agrees."

celavaba58 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2018

"I've been on this medication on and off for 30 years. Had terrible anxiety and agoraphobia. I take now 0.5mg up to twice a day. It helped in the beginning, but now, even while taking it, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. It's horrible. I can't go to work, I can't go to a store, I can't sleep. Please don't take this awful drug."

Mattie (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2018

"From my experience with Xanax it ruins lives, period. Xanax was made for 14 day use for acute crisis but is grossly misprescribed. Xanax is more addictive than heroin and turns normal people into weird and angry shells of who they previously were. The drug causes the brain to stop producing chemicals it needs and the half life is so short that you go into withdrawal every time the drug “runs out” every 4 hours. You believes the feeling is “anxiety” and take another pill to treat it! However the feeling is just withdrawal. You will need more and more of the drug just to get the original effects and you will not really be aware of how you’re acting. The longer you take the drug the worse it gets- and eventually the doctor who got you hooked on it will stop prescribing it. A safe way to get off of Xanax is the Ashton method (Benzodiazepines How They Work & How to Withdraw)- switching slowly from Xanax to Valium. Valium like a longer acting form of Xanax which then is easier to cut down on. I urge you never to start the drug."

NoToX (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"Been on Xanax for almost 10 years. It has saved my life and I mean that. I couldn’t function from the severe anxiety that I would get everyday. I recently moved and my new psychiatrist won’t prescribe it to me. I am just thankful I still have 3 more scripts I can fill. He’s trying to get me off it by putting me on Buspar. What a mess this drug is. I can’t sleep and am nauseous all day long. Still take a low dose of my Xanax while on it but it scares me having to give up the only thing that has helped me over all theses years. People who abuse it have given it a horrible reputation and it’s not available for the responsible people that really need it."

BW (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2018

"I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t severely depressed & anxious & without obsessive thoughts. I had severe emotional abuse/twisted mental abuse from my first memory at 3 until I was an adult. I’m 43. There are times I’ll go for days & not need Xanax or take it. But when the panicking & anxiety start I can take 5-6 mg (no, not .5 - actually 5) and finally function. I only use it as needed although I’ve been told I should take it daily. Drug seekers have hurt people like me SO bad. This is the only medication that works when I panic or feel anxiety to the point of wanting to die. I have & never will abuse it, but if I didn’t have it I would for sure be dead. I’ve NEVER had a withdrawal feeling or problem at all. But at that level of panic and obsession I am crippled. My daily meds (esp the anafranil) work very well now to prevent this , but when I get triggered, it’s a wrap. So there ARE some people who aren’t abusers, & who couldn’t function without it."

D October 5, 2018

"This medication make me really happy with stress relief, anxiety relief and lot of energy, love it no side effects. First few days might cause drowsiness but then it goes away."

tayshalee October 2, 2018

"I had severe postpartum anxiety to the point of no sleep for 3 months, which made me lose touch with all reality. I couldn’t take benzos as I was determined to breastfeed. Once I got through another bout of insomnia when I stopped breastfeeding I was suicidal from lack of sleep and panic/anxiety. I was put on xanax, .125 to .25 per day before bed. 4 years later I still have anxiety around sleep, so I take half the lowest dose 45 mins before bed. I struggle with sleep at times but I have not increased my dose over the 4 years and don’t freak out or withdraw if I miss a dose. My doctor hired a new nurse who seems bent on getting me off it, makes me plead my case to get refills. I don’t understand this thinking-a low dose of Xanax forever is better than a strung out suicidal insomniac. I have tried all SSRIs, hypnosis, counselling, meditation, CBTI for insomnia and hormone therapy. Nothing works as well as half a xanax 45 mins before bed. It’s just reality for me."

Q (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2018