User Reviews for Xanax

Xanax Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"I've was diagnosed with chronic panic anxiety disorder almost 30 years ago and put on Xanax. I also have horrific migraines, so I cannot take antidepressants. I've taken 0.5mg 5 times a day for years with no problems working, thinking, or functioning. Now the feds have decided that Xanax is addictive and my insurance company is questioning my doctor on filling my script. I know all the dangers of tapering and cannot imagine what's going to happen to me. Just the thought makes me nervous. This form of anxiety runs in my family."

City Pastor (taken for 10 years or more) August 13, 2018

"I have been taking Xanax for a while now and it really controlled my anxiety. I also have afib and anyone who has it knows how annoying that can be. Now when I have afib I take a Xanax and calms it down I also spoke to several people who have afib and yes Xanax helps calm it down. So don't let any doctors tell you any different Xanax can be a wonder drug when used properly"

Mikeyboy 60 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2018

"The negative reviews on here about this med are coming from people who take it everyday. Folks, DO NOT take this medicine every day it's for occasional use only. It's like alcohol; having a drink once in a while here or there is fine but getting drunk all day every day is obviously not a good idea. Same thing with the Xanax. Taking it once in a while when required is fine but using it every day will give you horrible withdrawals. I have the XR version that I literally take "once in a blue moon" for emergency situations only. It works great. Basic rule of thumb: don't take it more than once per week and if you have to don't take it more than 2 days in a row."

dustbunny123 June 25, 2018

"Hello I've been taking xanax for 25 years and still going, it's done wonderful in my life. But also it's not for everyone."

Gretchen (taken for 10 years or more) June 17, 2018

"Seriously I would be dead without this medication. Pop culture has given it the bad rep but as a prescribed user of this god sent medicine from the beautiful minds at pfizer I humbly thank you for saving my life. Had I known and addressed my severe depression, agoraphobia, anxiety & PTSD, (the alphabet goes on).. I would have NEVER SUFFERED FROM A STROKE IN 2010 DUE TO MY CONDITIONS that I had no idea there was a word for what's wrong with me. This is a quick acting short shelf life in the system type of medicine so it's a here, now, gone feeling. The low doses are like a mini invisible hug, the 2 mgs help me sleep and dream of a better life and wake up to my Starbucks feeling alert as the medicine did it's thing on my heart and mind. If during the day I feel sick with chest pain from anxiety it offers immediate relief. I am responsible in my consumption. Thank you to the hard working medical professionals for understanding the pain of the unseen sicknesses."

ShaolinXantastic (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

"Careful with this one. Very addictive. It was prescribed for anxiety but after a while I found myself habitually taking it and getting desperately anxious when I didn’t. Addiction to barbiturates in my mid forties was not part of the plan, so I stopped. Withdrawals were terrible. I also, experienced short term memory issues. I achieved safer results with anti-depressants, although they take a week or more to ‘work’ they are not addictive. Lifestyle changes also helped, no drinking, took up jogging, gym and watching what I eat and being more mindful of the spiritual aspects of life. Pretty obvious stuff really..."

GJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

"I've taken xanax regularly for ~5 years. Having to deal with severe family issues, my general anxiety disorder has ramped up considerably these past 5 years. My dosage varies, as I take it as needed. Some days I take 1mg and many days I take none at all. I probably average .25mg/day and it has been extremely beneficial to me. Even on my worst days I realize that taking more won't help, and I will just have to get through that day at a maximum of 1mg. For me, xanax has been a very helpful tool in my turbulent life and as things start to level out, my usage decreases."

Phat Phil (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2018

"Xanax is my miracle drug, but if you run out you are in for big trouble. You can have seizures, a stoke, or even death. Please be careful...but it definitely changed my life and has actually given my life back."

Pebbles523 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2018

"I have had bad anxiety for years. Started with busipro but It gave me nightmares and made me stutter a little bit so I stopped the pill. I went in for my board exam for Respiratory care and I failed. During the end of my test My heart started racing, chest pain. I was having a panic attack. I went to the doctor and I was prescribed Xanax. She told me to take 1/2 a pill 0.5 before my test and I did. During my test I felt calm, normal, fresh mind. I could think clearly. I wasnt anxious at all. I passed. Its been a great pill. I love it. But tonight I took 1/2 before bed and 30 minutes later I started crying. I am depressed too before starting pills. But for the most part xanax has been so good to me."

Blonde (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"I have my life back because of xanax. I have suffered from anxiety my entire life but somehow kept it manageable until my fifties. I was getting more and more agoraphobic and afraid to drive. Finally, I found myself pacing the house, unable to sleep and scared that I was actually going to harm myself. I have been on .5 mg xanax xr up to three times daily for almost two years and I am fully functioning again."

Mags (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

"I have been taking xanax for about the last ten years or so off and on. I am 26 now, and I only take Xanax when I really need it. The drug has helped me get through many school presentations from high to college. I get so anxious before big presentations that I have literally froze up in front of whole classes numerous times (while not on Xanax) and whenever I do take it, I get A’s on my projects, I’m less anxious, and everybody is more happy. It also helps if you have a long airplane ride. In short, I have been taking this drug for the past decade responsibly and it has helped me benefit in many situations."

MrBraadddd February 22, 2018

"I have been using this drug on and off for 6 years and it works fairly well even at low doses. Originally I took it for anxiety but now I take it for tinnitus. I think it can cause tinnitus. I take half of a 1mg pill before bed. I can go without it for days but do get some withdrawal symptoms. It still works after years of use."

mihulka3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2018

"Works well very little side effects"

Roboslobo February 1, 2018

"I take 0.25mg when I’m slightly anxious and 0.5mg when I feel very anxious. I can honestly say I feel so normal and happy! I can actually do things I use to do, and alone! I don’t feel scared or worried. I think for rationally and clearly. Only side effect is that it makes you kinda sleepy, but if you keep active and do stuff it wears off and you will feel normal. I actually laugh and have a good time now! I’m surprised at how a low dose works so well! If you have anxiety, don’t be scared and give this a try! Trust me after 20 minuets you will feel relaxed and ready to do anything!"

Rayraykopie January 25, 2018

"I took Xanax at a party about a year ago, & I was so surprised with the outcome. I was shocked to find out that it actually relieved me of my anxiety. It actually benefiting me in a positive way. I’ve been on Sertraline for about 6 years now, and I’ve thought about talking to my therapist about switching me to Xanax due to the experience I had with it. I may sound really dumb, but it worked like magic."

Anonymous December 27, 2017

"I have an overreaction to stressful situations. A situation that the average person takes in stride might put me into panic mode. Xanax is the only thing I've found that calms me down effectively. Depending on the situation it may take 0.25mg - 1.0mg to do the job. Because of it's addictive nature I don't take it every day, just in certain situations, maybe 3-4 times per year. I did have a situation recently where I took about 1.0mg every day for about 1 month. When the situation resolved I quit taking it and I had no withdrawal symptoms."

Warhawk97 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2017

"The pills that say Xanax on the front and 2 on the back and they are rectangular, they are fake. Be aware"

Don't have nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2017

"I was taking 2mg Xanax XR in the morning and before bed. I took 1 mg Xanax XR in the afternoon. If I would forget to take my meds in the morning, by 1:00 in the afternoon my head would start buzzing, I was agitated and in horrible shape. For years I was living in a fog. I was safely detoxed in the hospital for three days a little over a week ago. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Librium 3x day. This medication is mainly used for alcohol detox. It has worked wonders for me. It is another type of benzo, but for the first time in years I am happy and feel alive again. Please do not take Xanax lightly, it is an addictive viscous cycle that can make you feel worse in the long run."

only34me (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 16, 2017

"I take xanax to help me sleep and I also take it for anxiety when needed. I haven't really been having problems with either sleep or anxiety for the last 8 months or so. So I have just been taking .25 mg (a half-dose for me) at bedtime. I have been taking xanax on and off for about 10 years. My experience with it has been nothing but positive. I have never had any negative side effects. It just calms me down a little bit and makes me feel feel a little more relaxed. I have never needed to take a bigger dose than .5 mg. It has not been addicting to me at all. But that is probably because I have rarely had to take it more than once a day. A few times when I had bad anxiety, I had to take it twice a day, but those times have been very rare."

SteveGriswaldd December 13, 2017

"I am prescribed up to 4mg a day and usually take 2 to 3 mg a day. I can't be given any SSRIs due to bad reactions on my maternal side of the family. Xanax just works for me. Was it overprescribed for years and given to people who had no business taking it? Yes. But this drug works wonders for some people. And it's not placebo. Am I dependent? Yes. Is my quality of life better on them? Yes. They don't make me sleepy or black out. In fact they give energy and on bad days motivation to get out of bed. I'm in good health, sleep 6 to 8 hours a day, and can interact with people better. Are they for everyone? NO. But they've helped me immensely."

YIKES! (taken for 10 years or more) November 5, 2017

"Works excellent for anxiety. Have horrible social anxiety which I also take Zoloft for but xanax doesn’t really help with it. Not knowing cause my Dr’s didn’t tell me but after being on this a while and at a high dose (for me up to 3mg/day) if you don’t take it everyday you feel like rubbish. Took me almost 2 years to figure this out so regardless if I need it or not I take maybe 1mg as a maintenance dose in the middle of the day. Greatly helps to not feel sick. I also take 30mg of Temazepam at night which I thought would cover me. But for the past 10 days my mood has been really bad, the worst in years and a couple mg’s of Xanax greatly improves it but wouldn’t recommend it since it’s not prescribed to take it that way"

Liz Lemon (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2017

"I was diagnosed with panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder 24 years ago. I suffered for many years during that time and did not take any medication with the view that I would fix the issue naturally. I tried the natural way for years, avoidance behaviour became the norm and a way of coping. 9 years ago I was at tipping point in a very stressful job and finally was prescribed xanax (alprazolam) by a GP. For the first time since my teens when the anxiety began, I finally had relief. This medication has been a complete game changer for me and has improved my quality of life by 1000%. I have been taking 0.5 mg twice a day for the past 8 years and haven't had to increase the dosage. This medication is now sadly classified as a level 8 drug in Australia due to people who don't need it abusing the drug and ruining it for those who really need it. My psychiatrist is now trying to switch me to Ativan. I have been taking it for approximately a month now and it makes me feel depressed and empty and I have never had depression. I need 2 mg to ease my anxiety (double the dose of xanax) and it basically makes me feel like crap. Feeling incredibly overwhelmed and annoyed that this medication which has helped me so much will probably no longer be available in Australia."

Emma1818 October 15, 2017

"STAY AWAY FROM XANAX. Please!! It will help you -- in the moment. But literally hours later, the rebound anxiety and insomnia will hit you and make you regret taking it at all in the first place. And before you know it you'll go from half a bar to multiple bars just to sleep at night. Oh, and the increased despersonalizion and dark thoughts are not potential "side effects" -- they are some of the many very real, consistently DIRECT EFFECTS of taking Xanax. Benzos should be used as rarely and as short-term as possible. Even in these cases the withdrawal is VERY real...it hurts just to live. Please. Take my word for it. I'm going through it for the TENTH time right now. ADDICTIVE"

Cal Student (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

"Xanax has been great for me! I have suffered horribly for years from GAD, PTSD, bipolar disorder, fibromyalgia... and many more health problems. It actually gives me energy to get things done, and allows for peace and tranquility. I'm prescribed 3mg per day and it also helps me sleep at night. I've had trouble sleeping for years, but this medication has helped so much."

DrGonzo07 September 28, 2017

"Xanax has helped me with my activity's anxiety, I have a hard time going out being around people especially, when going places like the doctors, shopping, I have a hard time being around people or even just going outdoors also just going outside in general. I don't like being away from home that's my safe zone. I get scared when I here loud loud noises, I'm afraid people are going to hurt me or the ones I love, I am happy with my dogs and cats want to be left alone, Away from the rest of the world. here are only a few that I can trust, my mother, father, My Dave plus my children, plus my therapist Mark."

Anonymous September 17, 2017