User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"Xanax has helped me with my activity's anxiety, I have a hard time going out being around people especially, when going places like the doctors, shopping, I have a hard time being around people or even just going outdoors also just going outside in general. I don't like being away from home that's my safe zone. I get scared when I here loud loud noises, I'm afraid people are going to hurt me or the ones I love, I am happy with my dogs and cats want to be left alone, Away from the rest of the world. here are only a few that I can trust, my mother, father, My Dave plus my children, plus my therapist Mark."

Anonymous September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax, that I take once a day. My wife had just died. My anxiety was so bad I would not leave the house nor would I barely eat. It made me feel alive again and I'm able to function, and get out and socialize like a normal person again. I actually have a appetite now, and I'm getting good sleep again, which I haven't felt in a long time. Xanax really saved my life."

nobodyyspecial September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on xanax .05 for about two years. Doc put me on just an anti depressant for the first month didn't help ANY, went back and she saw how anxious I was and put me on xanax because I was honest with her and told her a friend gave me a few of hers and it helped my anxiety tons. I get thirty .05 a month and I can go days without them and some days a have to take two or three. Anyone with anxiety disorders know some days aren't easy at all. It helps me just knowing I have them. I still currently take celexa daily I don't know if it really helps my anxiety at all but the combo with the xanax seems to work. I know a lot of ppl don't wanna use pills but I'd much rather have medication than panic attacks."

Anonymous September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dad always had some amount of general anxiety but managed it reasonably. In approx 1982 he was prescribed Xanax after his Dad died unexpectedly and he was instructed to take X as needed. He's been on and off X ever since then and has needed progressively more. About 20 years ago he "graduated" to other medications including anti-depressants and at one point was on a combo that resulted in a nearly-successful suicide attempt. He never had suicidal thoughts before or after that particular combo. He's now old and his life is in ruins. He takes X throughout the day but is at the max and cannot take more. Please be aware once you start on these medications you're in it for life. Dr's know this -- job security for them!"

Son1696 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since my dad got sick and eventually passed away my anxiety depression and fears were just over whelming. I've been having so many intrusive thoughts since then. I had mild depression before he passed its been 5 years and its finally just has destroyed me. I finally went and got help two weeks ago and xanax not only completely calms me down it helps me focus on thing I need to focus on and not let my mind wonder with anxiety and weird thoughts. Miracle drug. Don't abuse it. Use when needed its amazing."

Kingcotten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe anxiety I started out with 0.5 mg of xanex my Dr just upped it too 1 mg twice a day I have a very understanding Dr. He makes sure I always have 6 months worth I am not addicted because I've gone days with out it"

Lisa 8253 August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on SSRI's and benzos for probably 3 or 4 years. SSRI's for depression and on top of that benzos for anxiety and panic attacks. Was on ativan for 3 years and it eventually stopped working. Would take 2 0.5mg pills and it would not affect my anxiety at all. Psychiatrist switched me to xanax 0.5mg everyday as needed up to 3 pills a day. It actually works. It takes a few minutes and wipes away any panic attack and softens my anxiety. I am very careful though because I know it can be very addictive. I was clean off the ativan for months and had no withdrawls so I know I was not addicted to that. Have only been on the xanax a few months and I only take it AS NEEDED so not to get addicted."

LumpyNoodle August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Until yesterday, I was prescribed .5 mg. Alprazolam(xanax) for panic, anxiety and irregular sleep patterns. I took them for four years. I went to my psychiatrist yesterday for my monthly suboxone appointment(6 yrs). The same psychiatrist who prescribed my .5 mg.xanax. I am taking suboxone for chronic pain issues from a MVA. I had been on prescription oxycontin 60 mg, 2x's/d for 11 yrs. and that doctor retired...no doctor would prescribe a full opiate agonist and that was 5yrs. ago. So I was told yesterday that he could no longer prescribed both xanax and suboxone due to state and federal guidelines. This type of inappropriate prescribing is outrageous. Has anyone else come up against this? I never abused either medications."

(jjul) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given an extremely low dosage of this, don't know if that was part of the problem but it didn't do anything for me good or bad."

5150Aries (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 19 year old girl and I've been diagnosed with Anxiety for a long time but never had an anxiety attack until now. My doctor prescribed me this medicine yesterday after I told her I had an anxiety attack 1 day ago. My heart was literally at a speed of 100 but she gave me medicine to slow it down. It really helped me sleep last night too. This medicine took me about 30-45 minutes to kick in and then it knocked me out and I was fast asleep."

Allison Krug (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax is like putting a band-aid over a wound that needs stitches. This med helped take the edge off my anxiety and am thankful for it. It will NOT treat GAD properly because you'll be dependent with too many doses, but is a godsend for panic disorders. I still struggle with anxiety (anger, headaches, worrying, crazy thoughts). It helped me be able to sleep, socialize, not have panic attacks at work, great sex drive and I feel calm. I was prescribed 0.5mg twice a day, usually took less otherwise I'd be sleeping all day, only could go about a day without it then I need it again for anxiety. The biggest downside is that it makes me REALLY tired, lazy, poor memory sometimes. When mixed with alcohol I get very angry. Will be looking into SSRIs."

Concavealexx (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax is a medication that must be taken seriously and with precaution. This is not a game. Taking it when you don't need to will only create addiction and the withdrawal is worse than living with the actual anxiety. Please don't take this med unless you suffer from anxiety and you are having a panic attack. It works well in these situations but my advice is to stay away from it and only take it in an emergency. I prefer lorazepam. When you take lorazepam the withdrawal symptoms are more tolerable than xanax. Xanax is awesome but it can become Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. You can die from this or get a DUI if you are caught in a driving accident. This is serious."

roxithefox (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this after trying several other meds. My doctor gave me 2 mg bars. The yellow ones (generic) aren't bad and the white one isn't either, but them green ones will wipe you out. They are at least 40% stronger despite being the same strength. The use to be very expensive, but are only $5.56 for a 60 pill supply with my insurance ( which is bootleg Obama care)."

Powerful AF (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The most efficacious and useful anxiolytic I have ever had. Fast acting and requiring three times a day (chronic) administration, but also, along with the recommended 4mg lorazepam IV when actually suffering an attack and a doc is present, by a long way the best acute remedy for anxiety and panic attack."

zaborav (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Xanax 0.25 for less than four years to control anxiety mainly before sleep. It works really well until it does exactly opposite for its purpose, causing more anxiety and distress. I have been taking Xanax randomly only to relax me before sleep, say 3 times a month, 10 times a month and most of the time half of the 0.25. I noticed that overtime especially in the months I took it more often, the anxiety, the fast heart beats and confusion and strange muscle weakness were getting beyond tolerable. In few words, I would tell anyone there that NO ONE should even begin taking this very addictive Xanax. Better suffer through your difficulties than using Xanax to ease your anxiety and panic. The drug will take you to abyss."

milaseasky (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anything that can get me back on track while I deal with my very occasional anxiety issues. Xanax helped me out a lot 4.5 years ago and I am in need of it again."

Anonymous1974 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was extremely against Xanax because of knowing people who abused it, and being someone who will try homeopathic cures before using prescriptions. That said, it really helps me. I have anxiety I would describe as anywhere from mild- severe depending on the day, and week. But sometimes I get in these intensely anxious thought patterns, where I cannot let go, its terrible.Taking medication during these periods is a god-send. It allows me to return back to my normal non-anxious self. I rarely have noticed sleepiness as an effect of the medication- only when I was already sleepy before taking it. If you don't abuse your dose, it shouldn't cause you to feel out of it or have memory loss, if you truly suffer from anxiety. That's my experience"

hulahoopinghannah June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 21 years old and this medication gave me my life back. I have social anxiety, hypochondria, and occasional panic attacks. I'd immediately become stiff and uptight at all social events as well as at school. It got so bad that it affected my grades. After I take a Xanax, the anxiety simply vanishes and it's replenished with relaxation, tranquility, and stability. All the scary, racing thoughts stop and I begin to think more logically and calmly. I take 0.5 mg five times a day as needed. Xanax is also wonderful for muscle spasms."

Johnathan R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Any drug can get a bad wrap because of some people abusing it. A lot of doctors don't even like prescribing Xanax because they don't want their patients getting "hooked". For me, I suffer from occasional anxiety attacks, and my prescription is "as needed". Anxiety attacks can be VERY scary. There were a few times I literally thought I was gonna die, it was that bad. I even went to the ER once because I believed I was having a heart attack. They are different for different people. I use to smoke and drink a lot of coffee, so I think that's what screwed up my body chemistry. I don't drink caffeine or smoke anymore. All I know is that now that I have my Alprazolam (Xanax) in my pocket, I'm not as scared to go places. I can live my life again."

Gavnzdad May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is great for anxiety and panic attacks when used correctly. Make sure you don't abuse it or mix with any downers. It says it's used for short treatment but it can (if monitor correctly) be used for long term if your doctor, physician or psychiatrist thinks it right for you. I'm very thankful for this medication for it has work wonderfully on reducing anxiety and takes away my panic attacks. (This is my opinion)"

Hi12345678910 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been through many many years of anxiety. Couldn't drive a car, couldn't sit through a church service, torment. This drug helps me focus and function. People abuse it but it's a Godsend for people with real issues. Not everyone is a drug addict that needs xanax. I am 50 and a female and my life's been limited since a trauma at childhood. I have post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety to severe limits."

someday692 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helps wth anxiety but makes me very sleepy, really can't take it if have a lot of work to do. I only take half a dose ."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax has saved my life. I have GAD, panic disorder, OCD, PTSD and major depressive disorder. This medication has made life worth living for me. I have been in therapy with a therapist, life coach and psychiatrist for 3-4 years now. I can tell you if the drug makes you drowsy or hungover, it's not for you. Also, the therapeutic dosage should not exceed 3 mg per day, ideally around 1 mg per day. As long as you stay in therapy and see your psychiatrist regularly you will not become "addicted" or whatever else people feel about this drug. IT WORKS!"

Treasuregoblin (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While I found this medication to be effective for anxiety, the concentration & memory loss were terrible and almost cost me my job. I didn't really notice anything was wrong until I started my new job. Training was a nightmare. I couldn't focus long enough to learn anything new! I was reading a short list of keywords and by the time I got to #3 I couldn't remember #1. I couldn't pay attention long enough to read a book, or even a short article. I couldn't remember people's names. I had to write everything down. I couldn't focus on anything anyone was telling me, I would just pretend like I understood. Luckily I noticed something was wrong and stopped taking it about 2 months ago. My memory and ability to focus have improved."

centerstage (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed 0.5 mg which I take half a tablet going to bed if that doesn't work I take the other half. Depends on how much sleep I need or how much anxiety I have. If I'm exhausted the medicine is great I fall asleep and next thing I know I'm awake in the morning but it usually leaves a hangover which I hate. I try to deal with my anxiety holisticly but sometimes that does not work. I think it all comes down to eating healthy and watching my sugar and carb and caffeine intake. Walking and doing stretches works for me but honestly Having someone who really loves you and does not abuse you in anyway is the best answer but I don't think there's many people out there like that anymore. Koliopin is a horrible dangerous drug. All pharmaceuticals as far as I'm concerned are bad for us and then least we take it the better off we are."

Faith77girl April 24, 2017