User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"Please try a different benzo before this drug. It's a life ruiner. The effects are so strong and leave the body quickly it makes you crave more. Tolerance builds like crazy with this drug too. I suggest klonopin. It works great and lasts a lot longer. Withdrawal is horrible from Xanax. You can die from it. Also comes with severe memory loss while taking it."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only med that has ever really worked for me. I've tried every holistic approach to treat my anxiety, taking a .25 takes the edge off like nothing else. I'm afraid to take meds but taking xanax doesn't make me nervous. I only take it when my anxiety and panic come back, sometimes I have it under control for long periods of time. I read a lot of negative things about becoming addicted and the withdrawal effects but most of us who really suffer hate taking meds. We rather get better with no drugs. It helps me calm down so I can think clearly and get through the day or night. Wanted to post something positive for those who are afraid to take it."

Bellaspud March 16, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doctor had me on Xanax three times a day to try and stop my anxiety depression from furthering. While Xanax is wonderful for anxiety, be careful, the withdrawal can be nasty if you don't get off it properly. Needless to say I get timid taking it now cause of that. However, it helps in times of crisis."

Greekboii March 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking xanax for anxiety and its s life saver!! Works really well; always carry a bottle in my purse. The only cons are that it can make me sleepy at times and it has an unpleasant aftertaste."

Anonymous please (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took two 2mg.xanax this evening and a suboxone last night. No affects noted. Are there any precautions I should be aware of??? Thank you..."

wanagi49 February 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello all, I'm 34 years old and have fibromyalgia and Anxiety. I have taken all the anti-depressants out there and xanax is the only one that truly helped me. I have been on xanax for the last 8 years of my life. I am prescribed two 2 mgs a day. I take it as needed, and often I split a 2 mg in half. If I'm off work for a day, I will maybe take a quarter to half for the entire day. Recently my regular doctor weaned me off of it, I thought I would be okay, instead I started having panic attacks every day. They were so bad that even being around 1 or 2 friends, for a long period of time, I would almost lose my shit. I had seven or eight 1 mg xanax left when I saw a psychiatrist, I told him what was happening and he wrote me a script instantly."

Freddy D (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I live with PTSD, social anxiety, panic, depression (manic). I've had a rough life in the early years, and married young to a psycho. Then lost my first child. My life hasn't stopped taking as of today- I tend to hide away, in a literal sense. Locking all doors behind me. Recently the FDA marked Xanax a black label- (saying it's a killing drug with pain meds taken together) thanks to rich people and their drinking with meds, and those high profile dealers out there mixing fentenyl into simple drugs, and doctors prescribing 2mg Xanax pills several per day.., people like me get to be sick and be removed from 3 -1m tabs per day that were to help us be part of society- while we search for another medication to help us get there again.. "

Angel in a lot of Pain ty FDA January 31, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Thank you Xanax for the best sleep ever!"

AngeloXanax (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from emetophobia-related panic attacks and anxiety, and this drug is just a godsend. I try to reserve it until I really need it as I know that, based on my personality, I could pretty easily become dependent. If it wasn't for the issues with dependency and withdrawal it would be a ten out of ten for me. I will note that after I stopped using it semi-regularly, I became better at dealing with anxiety "on my own" so to speak, and experienced less anxiety overall as I improved my coping skills. Still, I'm really grateful for this medication and encourage other miserably anxious people out there to discuss it with their doctors. It really improved my life when I thought nothing could."

Eliza_os January 10, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from complicated grief and PTSD, I lost my only child to severe mental illness almost six years ago. My anxiety is through the roof right now. Psychiatrist prescribed Ativan but it does nothing really (.5 MG) compared to Alprazolam (generic for Xanax). Even splitting a .5 MG pill helps me to stop frantic behaviors. But this stuff is addictive, you have to be careful never to go over prescribed daily dose and I don't know how difficult it will be to stop this medication, if I ever decide to do that."

FidMom (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from anxiety & panic attacks since Kindergarten! I "self medicated",w/alcohol & weed, until they became an "issue",to say the least! I hit rock bottom almost losing my family, my job,tried AA, Shrinks, until I had a full blown attack.I thought I was having a heart attack ,sweating,rapid heart beat ,etc .I also dreaded any social affairs,or changes in my life .I thought I was just missing a link,not "normal",whatever that is! I went to my Dr & he prescribed .25mg, the lowest .But I was able to 'function" ,go to weddings ,NOT drink ,since 1999. I'm now on the 2mg addicted? I am able to live w/o alcohol & function, but do feel it ,if I don't take it.Trade off? Maybe,but it's better than being a "captive" of my fears. Just be you!:)"

EDMO' (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I haven't seen a xanax in the US from a US pharmacy with the name brand xanax scored on the pill in over 20 years. these had no taste. Real xanax have a very distinct taste. and it never melted in my mouth. xanax always melt in my mouth within a few minutes. I've seen videos on youtube of people pressing them. My advice is. Get a prescription from a doctor and get them from the pharmacy because that wasn't the first time I saw these.. The streets are flooded with these bars."

Unib0mb (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on quite a few different kinds of medications for anxiety and depression, but I've never had a reaction quite like I did with this one. Within hours of taking it for the first time, I began to feel nauseous, drowsy, uncoordinated, shaky; my vision was blurry and I couldn't drive a car. These symptoms persisted until I stopped the medication. I tried it once or twice after stopping the first time, and the horrible symptoms came right back. I couldn't even do my work. If you have any sensitivities to this medication I would not recommend it. I'm no doctor, but even I know when a pill isn't worth the risk."

HughMS December 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bipolar 1, GAD & PTSD. I can't rage antidepressants (even on mood stabilizers) because of the bipolar disorder and buspirone proved useless for me. Xanax has really helped me keep my anxiety under control. I don't get the sedating effects that most people seem to. I've been on the same dose for over five years. When my mother passed away, I was also on ativan PRN for a short period of time and sometimes I wish I still had that, too. Not for everyday use, just for extremely triggering events."

espresso_dreams (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe social anxiety and have tried every other medicine out there and nothing has worked. Xanax so far has changed my life. I'm able to talk to people and look them in the eye and not feel stupid every where I went. I take .5mg 3 times a day. I'm just worried about the addiction part. I've heard it's pretty bad. But I rather be happy all the time than having panic attacks all the time."

Jgm1987 December 14, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For years, I didn't know I was suffering from Anxiety and Panic Attacks. My doctor told me what was happening to me & prescribed Xanax. It helps me TREMENDOUSLY. I feel "normal" now. Been using it for 10 years."

Miss FiFi December 13, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Xanax since 2007 when I was watching my mother slowly suffer. I started on 0.25 mg and eventually the dose was not enough. Now ordered 1 mg in morning and 2 mg at night. It works ,however I have cognitive impairment and all I want to do is sleep and my memory is pretty shot. I weaned myself down very ,very slowly and got down to 1 mg daily at night, but then some negative events happened and I was going into a panic attack. I know this medication works, but I would not take it unless it is a must."

Brain Dead December 13, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Xanax does feel like a miracle drug, but then addictive drugs always do at 1st. All is fine, for someone with anxiety there definitely does seem to be some kind of euphoria, because you feel like you can properly have jokes, interact socially, be yourself again e.t.c. It's only a band-aid, I know it's not an ideal world where everyone can get the best therapies e.t.c. but in truth it doesn't work forever and many people (such as myself) end up with inter-dose withdrawals and 'psychological dependence', ("OMG I FORGOT TO PACK MY XANAX HOW WILL I COPE?"). Compared to the withdrawals I experienced (no seizures thank god), the anxiety that made me go to the doc in the 1st place was very minor. I would advise use for no more than a month."

Matt Hopland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Let's be honest guys if you have anxiety you know too well it's the only thing that helps. I've tried several others medications for my anxiety but non of them worked so well as xanax. I've tried Paxil Amitriptyline Zyprexa Celexa Seroquel. All of them were a waste of time. The only problem with xanax is that it is addictive and becomes really easily habit forming because it WORKS!"

❤️ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using Xanax for the last 7 months, I don't know how to thank my doctor for prescribing this medication to me. I suffered from being lonely and scared if I will die, I panic for every little thing, now I take every night 0.5mg Xanax, is there anyone to let me know if you taking Xanax for a long time."

Cindy Gaschi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med helped me to go back to a stressful job after burnout.I am so grateful to have had this to deal with stress++++.I was able to function well.but not get panicked or be exhausted by the stressful Work in a hospital..5mg per day was so helpful."

D J M (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi everyone! I live in Australia... I have just returned from my doctors today 19.10.16 to be told that xanax will no longer be avaiable. Only for special circumstances,so please check with your doctor if you are reliant on this medication."

girlyface20 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I normally take xanax to get off to sleep, but here lately I have been taking it in the day time as well, because I get panicky through the day now as well. Wish this anxiety would just go away and stay away. Have an appointment with a psychologist but I really don't think it is psychological."

robertestokley October 12, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 64 and earlier in my life i never had any gad/panic attacks. Not scared of anything! Then my first panic attack. I was on a freeway far from home and alone. Out of the blue..the clamminess, heart rate through the roof, shakes etc. I pulled off the freeway to a parking lot. I got out and my knees buckled. I was terrified. It finally subsided somewhat and i finished the trip on back highways. . Now my trigger is driving even though all my life i loved driving anywhere..long distances alone..no problem until this. When i got home (barely) my dr. recommended .5 mg xanax as needed. A miracle drug for me! It makes me feel normal! I do not take every day"

Carol/Ark (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Xanax in 1993 when I started college at age 35. Have Panic Disorder, anxiety disorder and PTSD. Dosage has always been .5-1 mg daily. I'm completely a different person with it!! No more stuttering, no more panic attacks and running out if class to hide. I've never had to increase the dose since 1993. I could never gave gotten through 16 years of college without it!!"

Ms.G (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2016